Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: BIG THANK-YOU’s TO ALL WHO REVIEW(/ED)!!! THEY MEAN A LOT TO ALL OF US!

Unpredictable Turn of Events

by Sabs, Anna, Em, and Annie

Disclaimer: Oh man, do I have to repeat myself again? OK, ya know what? Just read it in either Chapter 1, Chapter 2, or simply don’t worry about it. Whichever way you go, however, DON’T SUE, and I won’t get mad, cocks head to one side kay? pleased grin Alrighty then, now on to the story!


CHAPTER 3: The Return of the Hood

Miss Parker rolled her eyes and followed the Pretender around the corner to the Buzz Café, a small coffee shop next door to an empty bookstore. After ordering a dark roast for Miss Parker and a hot chocolate with extra whipped cream for himself, Jarod sat down in a plush chair with a goofy grin on his face.

"I like this place, it so homey." Miss Parker looked around as she sipped the delightfully bitter coffee. The café did feel very cozy. It was nicely furnished in plums and magentas that gave the place a rich quality.

Black and white photos of the café’s past were placed strategically on the walls, and the music of a concert pianist was playing softly over the speakers. Yes, she could understand why Jarod liked this place.

"Jarod..." she began. He looked up into her eyes. Man, she thought. Why does he have to be so gorgeous? I wonder what he's like in bed... Miss Parker shook her head, forcing out the thoughts passing through her mind. This was Sydney's lab rat for pete’s sake! She gathered her coat and stood to leave.

"This was a mistake, I - I have to go."

Jarod sprang up to stop her. "Miss Parker, please!"

"No, Jarod, you don't understand! The others... they're here..." her voice trailed off as the expression on Jarod's face changed. He looked so hurt, betrayed. "They'll be looking for me... and for you. You have to leave the city."

"Come with me," Jarod whispered, not daring to look at her.

"C’mon, Jarod! When are you going to get it through that genius head of yours that I can't?"

"Why are you afraid of me, Miss Parker?" Jarod asked softly.

Miss Parker stepped back, "This has nothing to do with you, Jarod!"

"It has everything to do with me! You said it yourself, when I return to the Centre, you can leave. Now, why won't you come with me?"

A voice from behind them sent chills down Jarod's spine.

"Because Miss Parker is doing her job."

Jarod slowly turned to face Mr. Lyle and three Sweeper teams.

"Time to go home, all of us."

I think this is a LITTLE more of an adventure than I was looking for, Jarod thought as he was quickly went over his options. He could either kick the gun out of Lyle's hand and run like the dickens, or he could kick it out of his hand and go for the gun. He inwardly winced as he realized either option would mean risking getting shot. He kept his face expressionless. "Maybe for you, Lyle, but if you recall, I moved." Jarod replied with a smirk.

"Really?" Lyle replied sardonically. "That's funny, I never saw the memo. Now, put your hands behind your back." He raised his 9 mm and aimed it at Jarod. "Or somebody's gonna have a hole in their head."

Jarod cast a pleading look Miss Parker's way as sweepers handcuffed him. Miss Parker avoided his eyes. "I can't change a thing, Jarod, and you know it." she answered his unspoken plea in a cold voice. "My job is to catch you. I do that, I'm home free."

Jarod sighed. "You'll never be free of the Centre, Miss Parker," he replied quietly. "I can help you free yourself, but you've got to be willing to accept the help."

"C'mon, let's go." Lyle shoved Jarod. "No more chitchatting with my sister, you poor excuse for a genius. I hope you enjoyed your time outside, because you're never going to see it again." he laughed evilly.

Jarod cringed. This was going to be a lonnnnng ride.

Miss Parker looked away when Jarod’s breathing began to quicken as Willie placed the black hood over Jarod’s head. Lyle grinned as Jarod failed to suppress a shudder when the scratchy material bushed against his face. Lyle nodded to Sam who yanked Jarod’s arms back and clamped braces tightly on the Pretender’s biceps.

Jarod was now in a very uncomfortable position – his wrists were bound in front and attached to a chain around his waist to which his ankles were also firmly shackled. Miss Parker’s heart ached at the sight of the trussed Pretender. Sam and Willie each took an arm and dragged the frightened Pretender to an awaiting Town Car.

“Coming, Sis?” Lyle asked with a smile.

Miss Parker said nothing, but stalked out with Lyle on her heels. She tried to see which of the three cars the Pretender was in. She did not need another “turning point” lecture on the way to the airport. Unfortunately, Lyle gestured and opened the passenger door of one of the Town Cars and Miss Parker could see Jarod’s dark outline in the backseat beside Willie.

Miss Parker entered the vehicle and allowed her brother to close her door. Mr. Lyle then got in behind her so that he and Willie were on either side of Jarod. The driver’s door opened and Sam slid behind the wheel.

Jarod jumped slightly as the engine started, but forced himself to calm down before he gave Lyle a true indication of his fear. He could tell that Lyle was to his right and it must be Willie on his left because Sam’s hulky build would have given Jarod less room. That meant that Sam was driving, and the fresh floral scent that permeated the Lincoln told Jarod that the final occupant was Miss Parker.

The car was silent as they drove through residential neighborhoods until they reached the highway. Sam turned onto the cloverleaf entrance to the interstate and Jarod felt the car accelerating. They were now only minutes from the airport’s helipad. Jarod suddenly realized how trapped he really was. I can’t escape, he thought helplessly. The helicopter won’t be any help, and with two Sweeper teams following us, they’ll force me into the chopper.

“I bet you’re glad to be coming home, eh Jarod?” Lyle asked with an evil grin.

“I already told you, Lyle – that’s not my home,” Jarod said in a controlled voice from under the hood.

“You’re right, Jarod,” Lyle said. Underneath the course material, Jarod raised his eyebrows. “The Centre may not be your home, but let’s face it. It’s the closest thing to a home that you’ll ever have, so suck it up.”

Jarod felt the anger inside of him explode and he threw himself on Lyle, trying to claw at the thumb less man with his shackled hands. Jarod hit pay dirt and slammed his fist in Lyle’s groin. Lyle screamed out in agony. Jarod was just about to deliver another blow when his head suddenly exploded with pain. He could feel a warm liquid dripping down the back of his head from the butt of Willie’s handgun. Lyle took a few deep breaths to recover and then struck Jarod across the jaw. Jarod let his eyes water beneath the hood. There would be plenty of opportunities for bravery later.

“If you ever touch me again...” Lyle hissed

“What will you do, Lyle? Kill me? I don’t think you have the authorization to do that,” Jarod retorted.

Lyle leaned over and Jarod could feel his breath on his neck. “There are worse things than death. You’ll learn that soon enough.”

Lyle smiled with satisfaction as Jarod began to hyperventilate. He leaned back and watched the Pretender’s rapid rise and fall of his chest.

Miss Parker had been watching the events in the backseat through the rearview mirror. She was so sick of her brother’s superiority complex. She turned around to face the trio in the backseat.

“Jarod, you have to calm down,” she said softly but firmly.

“Aw, getting a heart, Sis?” Lyle jibed.

Miss Parker flashed him a look. “I’m just trying to keep Wonder Boy in semi-good condition until we reach Blue Cove. I would think that you would appreciate that.”

Miss Parker turned her attention back to the Pretender who was still breathing erratically. His hands were clenched in fists so tightly that his knuckles were white. The flash of the metal handcuffs caught Miss Parker’s eye and she was reminded of the last car she and Jarod were in.

You know, we’ve been through a lot together, from when we were kids at the Centre to the past couple of days. I know that our allegiances are rarely the same, but I’ve always felt, always known, there was something more to our lives than ‘I run and you chase.”

Maybe we just do what we have to in order to get by in this life, Jarod.”

Maybe we both deserve something more.”

Just...just forget those days on the island. Forget that moment of weakness. Turning points only happen when you have something to turn to.”

Miss Parker reached back and took one of Jarod’s hands in her own. He froze at her touch.

“Jarod, please calm down. Just breathe slowly,” she coaxed, gently massaging his tensed hand until it he relaxed and his breathing became regulated.

She began to turn back around, but Jarod held tightly to her hand, silently pleading for her to stay with him. Miss Parker looked at Lyle, but he was dialing his cell phone. Miss Parker gave Jarod’s hand a squeeze of assurance and turned to the front before Lyle noticed.