Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Augusta, a small café

Ryan had gotten in her Jaguar after she had read the note and told Calvin to call her if he found anything new. She needed to get away for a while. Driving into town, she had found a nice little café she hadn't been to before.

Entering the small place, the smell of fresh coffee, cinnamon and other spices greeted her. She found the last empty table and an elderly woman, sporting a smile took her order and Ryan relaxed a little. She felt as if she could leave her worries outside whenever she entered the warmth of this place.

Ryan was getting frustrated with herself more and more lately. She knew that there was something going on at the Facility. But what was it and how should she deal with it. Had her uncle something to do with it. He must have because he was the chairman. Nothing ever happened at the Facility without his knowledge. Shrugging out of the blazer she wore over her satin blouse, she hung it up over the back of her chair.

Just when she was about to take a sip from her Espresso, a voice spoke to her from behind. At first Ryan thought the waitress had come back to her table but when she turned around, a smiling blonde stood there, holding out a folded paper.

"This just slipped from your jacket." Ryan accepted the paper from the outstretched hand and smiled in return.

"Thanks." She watched as the blonde cast her look over the small bar, looking for an empty table probably.

"Hi Elise!" the blonde greeted the waitress. "Looks like I have no luck today."

"Welcome back, Sam. And I'm sorry. There's a conference across the road. But I can give you your order to go." Elise offered while Ryan watched.

Even though it was only early afternoon, the place was packed. "This seat's free." Ryan offered, contrary to her better judgment, and watched the light frown on the woman's face transform into a smile, which Ryan found suited her well. The long blonde hair fell in soft curls to the shoulders of a warm brown leather jacket and a matching scarf. Her cheeks were slightly flushed from the sudden change of temperature and her big round eyes were of a light blue color.

"But only if you really don't mind." She said, and took off her scarf when Ryan shook her head amused.

"I'll bring you the usual." Elise took off towards the counter.

"My name's Sam, by the way." Sam shrugged out of her jacket and put it on her chair as well. "This place sure is popular, isn't it?" Sam rubbed her hands together.

"I'm Ryan." Ryan usually avoided small talk in bars or restaurants but for some reason, she was glad for the distraction today. And what a good looking distraction, Ryan mused. “I’ve only found this place today so I really don’t know.” She smiled charmingly. Maybe today wasn’t too bad after all.

"Let me tell you, it's like this every day." The blonde greeted the older man behind the bar. "I try to come here as often as I can when I'm in town."

"So you're here for work?"

"Yes," Sam trailed off, "Actually I just got here and came straight from the hotel." She grinned, and Ryan couldn't help but do the same. There was something very likable about her companion.

"Are you here on vacation then, Ryan?" Sam asked, and thought she caught a glimmer of sadness or maybe worry in the brunette's eyes for just a heartbeat.

"I wish." Ryan's smile faded but she composed herself quickly. "I work outside of town."

"And I suppose like me, you're not thrilled to talk about work right now." Sam tried to ease the sudden tension.

Ryan didn't reply but the smile was back in place.

Shortly, Elise arrived with Sam's usual order, a large coffee and a slice of cherry cake while Ryan used the moment to study her a little more closely.

The blonde had said she frequented this place but still she didn't seem to greet anyone nor, was she waiting for someone. There was no ring on her finger and the only jewellery she was wearing was a golden chain around her neck with a slim cross.

"Thanks again for the seat." Sam pushed her hair back when the waitress left to bring her order, "I really need some caffeine and sugar now."

They sat there talking about this and that until Ryan got a call from Calvin and had to return to her office.

"It was real nice meeting you, Sam." Ryan pulled some bills out of her slacks to cover her order plus a large tip. "Maybe I'll see you around."

"You know where to find me now." Sam laughed and waved Ryan goodbye.

She noted that her eyes were not the only ones following the tall brunette to the door. Lifting her eyebrows, Sam glanced at her watch and decided she still had some time until she had to join Tony in the office.

+++

Augusta, Special Unit Headquarters, a little later

Sam sat together with Tony's team in the darkened tactical office. A huge corkboard held memo's and pictures from the crime scenes. Harrison Clay, a young officer of Spanish heritance who specialized in computers and anything that had to do with electronics, filled Sam in on their current state of investigations. Using an LCD projector to throw the pictures from the computer to the wall, he was just finished reviewing Montgomery Nevill’s file, when another woman joined the team.

"Sorry I'm late." Serina McNeill sat down next to Sam.

After Tony introduced them both, and they shook hands, Serina explained why she was late.

"I've talked to every employer at Mr. Saunders' office. There were several complaints filed against him but nothing serious. The usual I'd say." She handed copies of her interviews to the other three people at the table. "He was the chief editor at the Daily News.”

Serina had been working in Tony's squad since Sam left. She was in her late twenties and still had the fire Tony missed with so many of his fellow co-workers. Her red hair stood out against the white blouse she was wearing over comfortable looking black cargo pants.

The third team member was Dr. Myra Becker. She was the pathologist and had worked in the job for over thirty years now.

"Okay folks, let me recap." Tony got up and walked in front of the screen.

"We have two victims. We can't find any connection, and we agree that they both shot themselves. Sam?" Tony leaned his hands flat on the desk and the others turned to watch Sam.

"Right," Sam stared at the photo's on the board. "From what I gather with the interviews with the relatives, there was no indicators for suicide. Mr. Saunders had an appointment with his dentist two hours after he killed himself. He even called early that morning to confirm his appointment. That doesn't make any sense. And what makes me wonder the most, is that someone altered the telephone LUD's. We can't find any records, but two nurses witnessed the phone call. Why would someone do that?" she looked over to Harrison.

"That's a good point there. And this wasn't some kid hacking into the system. Someone clearly didn't want to know who talked to Mr. Saunders that day. I got the files from the telephone company but we still couldn't work through it. I can't even say if we ever can."

"That's okay Harrison, just keep trying." Tony patted his shoulder.

"Dr. Becker," Sam addressed the coroner. "Did the toxicology-screen show anything unusual? Did either of the victims take any medications? And what about their medical files?"

"The tests all came back negative. Mr. Saunders was a very healthy man and did a yearly check-up which didn't show any signs of illness. Mr Nevill did take some light medication to control his blood pressure, but otherwise he was fine. No alcohol or illicit drugs in their blood. From a medical standpoint, everything points to suicide. Trace proved that it was their own hands that fired the guns."

+++

Elise's Café

A few days later, Ryan met Sam again at the café and they chatted a bit. It was an easy conversation and Elise joined in after the afternoon crowd slowly left.

“I’m afraid I need to get back to work,” Sam sighed and looked at her watch. “It was nice seeing you again, Ryan,” she looked at the brunette and smiled.

“Likewise,” the brunette replied and got up as well. Walking together to the counter they both paid for their coffees.

“Go catch the bad guys,” Elise smiled, “I’ll pack you some muffins for the guys.”

“Thanks,” Sam took the offered paper bag and didn’t see that Ryan had haltered in her motion when she heard what Elise had said.

Sam’s a cop! Ryan was surprised; she usually could smell a cop a mile off.

“Have a good day,” Elise handed Sam her change and the two women left the warmth of the café and were greeted by the cold, brisk wind on the street.

“So you’re with the police?” Ryan asked casually.

“I’m freelanced and currently working as a consultant.” Sam replied and waited for Ryan to say something but the other woman just starred past her shoulder, a bewildered look on her face.

“Did you see him?” she asked and pointed with her finger towards a couple of parked cars. “Did you see that guy with the baseball cap?” Sam turned and Ryan grabbed her arm.

“What guy?” Sam asked and looked around. The street was empty.

Ryan let go of her and walked a couple of steps and then turned back to her and sighed.

“Never mind,” she closed her eyes. “I,” she trailed off, “I think I’m seeing things.” Ryan pulled her hand through her hair and debated.

“You sure you’re alright?” Sam was worried.

“Fine, really. It’s probably nothing.” Ryan tried to assure the other woman while she was pretty sure there had been someone watching her all day.

“Okay, but you should call the police if someone is stalking you.” Sam pulled out her card and a pencil. She wrote Tony’s number on the back and handed it to Ryan. “Here’s my number and the one of a good friend.”

Ryan was touched by the by the blonde woman’s sincere concern.

“Thanks,” she took the card and put it in her coat pocket. “See you around,” she felt like she needed to get away. From what, she couldn’t say.

“See you,” Sam watched her walk away and strolled to her own car.

+++

Empty factory, somewhere in town

Hitting the send button, Adrian smiled, satisfied. He had just arrived at the old factory building which served him as a home and office after he checked out of the motel and put the camera on the desk in front of the window. The place was old and dirty but it served his purpose. Nobody would expect anyone to live here and he could keep a low profile.