Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter 11
Ryan’s apartment complex, garage

 

"I swear I didn't know anything about this!" Ryan's cousin held his hand up in defence.

Ryan went berserk when she arrived back at her apartment after interrogation and found his car following her.

"You didn't know Adrian was out to kill people for the Facility or that he tried to kill me?" Ryan slapped him hard on the cheek.

Shaun swallowed hard, his mind racing to figure out how to calm the brunette down.

"I heard some pretty interesting things, but we really shouldn't discuss that here." he sported his best puppy dog look and prayed she wouldn't shoot him in the knee just because.

Ryan started walking towards the elevator without even looking to see if he was following, she knew he was.

“Nice place.” Shaun’s grin left his face as soon as he made eye contact with Ryan. He felt ashamed. Someone had tried to kill her not more than a few hours ago. Realizing what really was happening, Shaun frowned.

“Why did Adrian say he killed those people for the Facility?” Ryan asked right to the spot.

“He did? Why would he?” Shaun was clearly surprised.

“Yes, he did. He killed his mother and his brother.”

“That doesn’t make sense.” Ryan’s cousin licked his lips. “How did he know who they were?”

“That’s what I’m trying to find out.” Ryan hung up her coat and took of her shoes.

“What did Newman say? You should be over with your interrogation, shouldn’t you?” she asked.

“Well, apparently, Adrian wasn’t born by Prof. Chester. And Mr Saunders isn’t really his brother. What they did was use her genetic material which was stored at the Facility.”

“And later, Adrian participated with Prof. Chester’s own research? And you probably want to convince me that Chief Neville was his father. Or why did he kill him first?”

“No. I don’t know and I don’t really care. Our job was to return him. In which you failed, by the way.”

“Right. What was I supposed to do? Shoot the cops? Brilliant idea.”

“Now, that’ll be your problem as I know that the board will want him back and the cops out of it.”

“There’s one more problem,” the dark haired man confessed, “Newman’s no longer in our custody.”

“What? You let him go?” Ryan couldn’t believe her ears.

“No, my father called and said he’d send some guys to pick him up. He wouldn’t tell me why.” Shaun frowned.

+++++

“I told you to get lost.” Ryan grumbled when she opened the door minutes after Shaun had left and stopped in surprise to see that it was Sam who stood there.

“I’m sorry, I thought you were...”

“The guy who I passed in the entrance hall?”

“I’m afraid so. He’s my cousin and a pain in the butt.” Ryan tried to light the mood. Sam looked strangely serious. “Come in, please!”

I should have known they’re related. Now that she mentions it, they do look a lot alike; Sam thought and felt relieved for some unknown reason.

“Can I get you a drink?”

“I think I could use one.” Sam followed Ryan into the kitchen.

Ryan took two glasses and filled them with Scotch whiskey. Giving Sam one glass, she went back and took some ice from the freezer. Putting them in a towel, she held it to her bruised cheekbone and they both went to the living room.

“Does it hurt badly?” Sam reached out but pulled her hand back.

“Only when I laugh.” Ryan smiled and sat down next to Sam on the couch. She was glad for the company. “How are you holding up? I bet you were at the station ‘til now.”

Sam sat her glass down on the living room table. “Adrian’s still in interrogation. But Tony sent me home.”

“He’s a good guy,” the brunette smiled. Since Sam had arrived she had avoided eye contact. Whenever Sam looked at her, Ryan glanced away.

She was nervous. The adrenaline was slowly leaving her body and she felt exhausted.

“Hey,” Sam gently nudged Ryan’s leg, “it’s not your fault.”

“Right, this could have happened to anyone.” Ryan put the now wet towel aside. “If I had...”

“If you hadn’t been so brave, we could all be dead now.” Sam didn’t let Ryan put herself down.

“I wish I had shot him.” Ryan shook her head. Now that Adrian was caught, she’d had to face her uncle and the board. It was highly unlikely that their lawyers could pull them out of this unnoticed.

“Have you ever killed someone?”

“No.” the brunette shook her head and winced when her ribs protested of her movement.

“Believe me, you don’t want to. No matter who it is and what they’ve done.”

“You sound like you know what you’re talking about.” She looked surprised at Sam.

“I shot the man who killed my brother.” Sam confessed and gulped, the memories still fresh in her mind.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. It’s been one year.” Sam smiled ruefully. “And even though I had wished for the moment I could take revenge, it didn’t satisfy me like I was hoping for.”

“What happened?”

“I’ll have to leave this for another time. I doubt either one of us is up for that tonight.” Sam smiled a little, assuring Ryan everything was alright.

“Okay.”

“I just wanted to drop by and see how you were doing. You must be tired and I should be going.” Sam sighed and wanted to get up but Ryan’s hand on her arm stopped her.

“You don’t have to go. I mean,” Ryan started babbling and blushed a little, “I mean I’d like you to stay a little.” She added after a moment.

“Sure.” Sam smiled and pulled her hair back behind her ear. “Um, have you eaten anything yet?” she asked sheepishly. Ryan’s stomach caught the cue and grumbled.

“I guess that’s a no. And you look a little pale.”

“There’s a good take-out just around the corner. Wanna walk?” Ryan offered but Sam frowned.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea. You should keep that ice pack on your eye.” She took said towel and put it back in Ryan’s hand. “But if you tell me what to get, I’ll go get it.”

An hour later, they both were feeling better, two pasta dishes gone and two empty stomachs satisfied.

After dinner Sam had given Rita a call and asked about how Jerry was doing, and after a short description of their day, Rita had assured her that Jerry was perfectly fine and that Sam should get some rest, she’d take care of the dog. Being tired and exhausted, Sam didn’t protest much and promised to drop by in the morning.

“You still look worried, what’s wrong?” Sam walked back into the kitchen where Ryan put away the washed dishes and put a hand on the brunette’s shoulder. “He’s locked up now.”

“I wished it was this easy,” Ryan held both hands to the rim of the sink.

“Then why isn’t it? Want to talk about it?” Sam offered and rubbed Ryan’s back who was all tense.

“I shouldn’t pull you into this mess.” Ryan turned to walk away but couldn’t. Her feet just wouldn’t carry her. Standing in front of the blonde, Ryan rubbed her forehead. A thousand thoughts ran through her mind and she couldn’t sort them out. Frustration mixed with those thoughts and tears filled her eyes.

Seeing the inner tremor, Sam pulled her towards her and Ryan put her arms around Sam’s neck. She couldn’t cry but she couldn’t get her emotions under control just yet. Hugging her friend tightly, Ryan wanted to hide here in her apartment forever.

“Thanks for being here.” She mumbled a while later against Sam’s neck and felt a shiver run down her back. Letting her thumb slowly caress the blonde’s neck, Ryan placed a light kiss on the side and waited tensely to see if she had made a mistake now. Hearing a soft purr she smiled and placed another kiss a little higher on the neck while Sam’s hands started caressing her back.

Sam shivered when Ryan kissed her just below the ear and pulled her head back just enough to lock eyes.

Closing their eyes, the leaned closer and their lips touched lightly.

When Sam pulled back, she leaned her forehead to Ryan’s and sighed. “This isn’t such a good idea.” She mumbled.

“What?” Ryan pulled back and looked in the blonde’s eyes, searching for what she was really thinking.

“Relationships built on stressful situations usually don’t work out.”

“And you believe that psycho stuff?” Ryan pursed her lips which Sam found looked incredibly adorable.

“I wrote an article about it.” Sam smiled and caressed Ryan’s neck with her thumb.

“You’re probably right,” Ryan felt more exhausted than ever, “but hey, you said relationship instead of affair. Do I still have a chance?”

“We’ll see,” Sam leaned back in, and this time the kiss wasn’t as timid as the first one.

+++

The Facility, the next day

“Mr Yousif,” Ryan looked up when he knocked and entered her office. Ryan was still trying to keep a smile from her face. “How can I help you?” the brunette hid her confusion well. She normally didn’t have anything to do with Yousif and the board. She got her orders from her uncle.

“We need to discuss something.” He took the offered seat and unbuttoned his expensive dark suit jacket.

“Sure.” Ryan put the files she’d been reading aside and folded her hands. Instead of reading, she’d been looking at the small note Sam had left that morning when she left. Shaking off the lingering memories from the previous night, she had a hard time concentrating.

“You probably know by now but we’ve got Adrian back in custody. He’ll stay with us until his trail.”

“Yes, I was informed this morning, but I still don’t understand what’s that got to do with me,” Ryan frowned.

“I’d like to let you know personally that Melcom Ryan, your uncle, has been removed from his position as chairman by today. His position is vacant ‘til the board votes someone new.”

“And you’re telling me this because?”

“The state attorney was informed that the two men who were involved in Adrian’s escape were known and would be brought to justice. Newman and your uncle will pay for what they did.”

“What exactly did they do?” Ryan tried to put the puzzle together.

“An anonymous source showed that Newman took Adrian from the Facility to perform more tests which his fellow professor at the university, Prof. Chester refused to finish. I’ll spare you the medical details but Adrian’s brain was tested with medications. Now, some part of the tests went horribly wrong, and not to get tied up with it, Newman and your uncle tried to cover it up by sending Adrian after them.”

“Did he know that Prof. Chester was his mother?”

“Not at first. That’s another thing they tried to cover up. You see, Adrian wasn’t born by Prof. Chester, she was the egg donor. We still haven’t located the father but we’re almost certain that it was another experiment. Therefore Adrian became what he is today, a sociopath.”

“I still don’t get why you’re telling me all this.” Ryan pulled her dark locks back and tapped her foot lightly on the floor.

“We want you to investigate how far your cousin, Shaun was involved in all this because he has applied for the chairman’s position.” Yousif watched her carefully.

“As far as I know he wasn’t even in the country when this mess started,” Ryan started, “but I’ll see what I can find out.” She said diplomatically. As much as she despised some of her family’s actions, they were still that, family.

+++

Police Headquarters, same day

“Hello?” Sam picked up the phone in her now empty office. She had packed her little bit of personal stuff in a cardboard box and was about to bid goodbye to the team when her cell rang.

“Hi!” someone said on the other end and Sam could hear the smile over the phone.

“How’s it going?” the blonde asked and closed the door.

“Not bad I guess. Not sure though. It’s all weird here.” Ryan couldn’t keep a grin from her face though this wasn’t really the time for chit chat. She didn’t even know what was going on at the Facility but she just had to call the blonde.

“I’ve been thinking of you.” She admitted.

“Is that so?” Sam sat on the edge of her desk. “And what were you thinking?”

“Well, I’d rather show you, but,” she trailed off. “Strange things are happening here and I don’t know when I can leave tonight.”

“Is everything alright there? I heard Adrian was brought to the Facility this morning instead of being held in custody.”

“How long are you staying?” Ryan knew that Sam’s work was done and she was probably going back home soon.

“I’m having dinner with Tony tonight to celebrate a bit. Do you want to join us?” Sam asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t think Tony would want me to.”

“Don’t say that. He’s a real fine man and I’m sure you’ll get along with him when you know him better.” Ryan noticed how Sam didn’t say if, but when and will, get to know instead if knew him. Did that mean she really wanted to keep her around?

“We could try,” she responded after a moment.

“How about you give me a call when you leave work? We can go from there.” Sam offered and wished it was already night.

“That sounds like a plan. Keep your cell close.” Ryan grinned.