Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Thank you for those who reviewed. It is greatly appreciated. Hope you like.


The games we play


The Russell farm


Lyle brought the car to a halt just outside the gate to the Russell farm. He lightly slapped J through the face until the boy moaned and his eyes fluttered open.

“You’re home.”

The boy looked confused. His eyes shifted from his captor to the house behind him. “What…” Why was his captor letting him go? Lyle smiled and leaned in. “We’ll start tomorrow after school. I’ll pick you up at the same place. Do not be late.”

J stared, his mind racing. He had a chance. Tell his parents, tell Jarod, tell anyone who will be prepared to listen. Lyle’s hand gripped his neck, bringing the boy still closer to his face. “You can tell your parents about me, if you want, Gemini. Just remember. I will find you again and I will put the gun in your hands and help you pull the trigger while your parents are kneeling in front of you. Do you understand?”

J’s mouth was dry as the image burned into his mind of what his captor threatened. He only managed a small nod of assent, wondering what he was going to do. He had no-one to talk too. Lyle leaned over his body, opening the door. He leaned back into his seat, waiting for J to exit.

“Your bag, Gemini. You still have homework to do.”

J slowly took his bag and stepped back. Lyle waved and then drove off. He stood there in the road for five minutes while he tried to get to terms with what had just happened. It was unreal. Did the whole afternoon just happen or is he slowly going insane. He turned his arm, seeing the new cut across the older ones. Someone called him and pulled from his thoughts he looked up to see his mother standing on the porch. Dusk had settled and the lights were on in the house. He waved, wondering how he was going to explain away the cut and where he had been the afternoon.

He closed his eyes briefly, settling his thoughts. He was going to have to pretend. There was no other way that he will be able to fool his parents. A deep breath later and he opened his eyes. He started towards the house and gave his mother a peck on her cheek.

“Sorry I’m late. I was at a friend’s house and we were working on a project for school.”

“Was that him that dropped you off?”

For a moment J faltered. What if his mother had seen Lyle? His stomach clenched and he felt bile rise at the image the man had painted so vividly a few minutes ago. He coughed, hiding his face and then managed to say, “Yes.”

“Who is he?”

J had to think quickly. Any name would do. It wasn’t as if he will ever bring the man home and say, ‘Mom, dad. I’d like you to meet my friend, Lyle.’ He smiled, saying, “His name is Bobby.”

“Maybe you should invite him Saturday for lunch.”

“No!” As soon as he said it, he knew that he had been too strong in his reply. “Uh, I mean, Bobby is grounded until the end of the month for, um, for taking his dad’s car without permission.”

Margaret smiled, “I hope he had asked his dad to bring you home.”

J nodded, grateful that his mom had believed his story. “I have some homework to finish. Is it ok if I eat in my room tonight?”

Margaret looked more closely at her youngest son. Something was wrong but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. J was avoiding her, his eyes everywhere but on her. He was also keeping his left arm from view. Suspicious, she stepped towards him.

“J, can I see your arm, please?”

For a moment J debated on ignoring his mother’s request before slowly extending his arm. She took it in her hands and turned it. Her fingers traced the new wound lightly.

“J, we need to talk about this.”

J looked away, staring into the surrounding darkness of the hills. He ached for a run. There, at least, he was the one in control. He knew how and when he could push his body to achieve his goals. There in the silence of the hills he didn’t need to think, didn’t need to pretend. He could just be himself without anyone breathing down his neck, without anyone demanding his obedience. He sighed, pulling his arm from his mother’s.

“It won’t happen again. I promise.”

The door opened and his father stood in the doorway. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” J said, holding the offending arm close to his body. He tried to brush past his father but was stopped when his father grabbed him.

“J?” he warned, glancing at Margaret before looking at his son. “What’s going on?”

“J had cut himself again.”

J’s face darkened with anger. He hated what Lyle was putting him through. He hated the fact that his mother couldn’t keep the cut a secret. Hell, he hated his life. Lyle is right. He is a coward. He felt his arm pulled out and stiffened when his father traced the new scar.

“Why are you doing this to yourself?”

“I don’t know, ok! I just do!” he screamed, finally able to get rid of the frustration and fear of what Lyle is forcing him to do. “Why do you care anyway? It’s not as if I’m your real son. You don't care about me, you only feel because I look like him. You're looking to replace the lost time you never had with Jarod with me. All I am is a clone of the real thing.”

“You don’t believe that.”

J dropped his bag, stepping away from his parents. “It’s true. Get real, dad. I don’t belong here, I don’t belong anywhere. I’m a freak of nature. All I need is a sticker that says Made in the Centre.”

On one level J knew that his words stung and hurt. That what he was doing was to protect himself. If his parents hated him, Lyle wouldn’t hurt them. What would be the point if they didn’t care? He couldn’t look at the shocked expressions of their faces anymore and he fled from his own terror.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyle smiled. Things could not have gone better if he had scripted it. The boy was a satisfying distraction until his plans were in place for the real goal. He wanted to isolate Gemini from his family, break his defences until nothing was left. Then, while everyone’s focus was on him, he will step in and take what belonged to him.

He had stopped the car at a small outcropping and through night vision binoculars had watched the interaction between Gemini and his parents. He had followed the path the boy had taken when he had fled and satisfied that he could predicate the way the boy would go, he entered his car.

It was time for him to intervene and continue with the game he and J played.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Russell farm


Charles looked worriedly at his wife. Jarod, Sydney and Miss Parker were on their way to the farm. He didn’t understand why J had so much trouble adjusting or why the nightmares continued to haunt him. He had thought that they had had a breakthrough yesterday when J had mend his relationship with his brother. Now J seemed determined to break his relationship with his parents.

“Who was the boy who dropped him off?”

Margaret clenched her hands and leaned into her husband. “A friend from school. His name is Bobby.”

“Did you meet him before he left?”

His wife broke from his embrace to look into his eyes. Her own reflected his concern when she said, “No. J had said that Bobby was grounded so I guessed that his father had told him to go straight home.”

“I think that after we have J back here we should investigate a bit more closely. J is very fragile right now and I don’t want anyone to take advantage of our son.”

Margaret watched as her husband rose. Following his form as he made for the stairs, she frowned. “Charles, what are you going to do?”

Her husband looked guilty for a moment as he stood at the bottom of the stairs, his hand holding on the railing.

“Charles?”

She stood, moving towards him. “I’m sorry, Margaret. But I need to know that J is safe and if I have to take away his privacy by going through his things, then I will do it.”

Margaret gave him a nod of understanding. Nothing mattered anymore but making sure that J continued down a road of healing. Determined, she took her husband’s hand and said, “I’ll help.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Let’s play a game, Gemini.”

J watched Lyle’s hand hypnotically as the man trailed it down the woman’s body.

“Let’s pretend that you are me.”

His eyes snapped from Lyle’s hands to meet the older man’s eyes who were studying him dispassionately, probing. A cruel half-smile had settled on the sociopath’s face. Using the woman’s body, Lyle pushed himself to his feet and stepped towards the boy. The blond man clasped the back of his neck and holding it firmly, he leaned in.

“Let’s pretend that you want some information that is vital to your ongoing health.”

J was deeply aware of how close Lyle was to him. He stared straight ahead while his captor’s breath was hot on the side of his face.

“Do you want to play?”

He pushed harder, his leg muscles straining as he tried to outrun Lyle’s voice.

He heard a whimper and his gaze shifted towards May Lin. She was conscious; her brown eyes full of pain and fear. J swallowed and then took a deep breath.

“No.”

Lyle’s face darkened with anger and he straightened. His hand lashed out, connecting solidly with the boy’s face. J could feel the blood welling up from a cut to his lip. Determined not to play Lyle’s sick game, he steeled himself for more abuse. Instead, the sociopath made his way towards the girl. She tried to move away from the man, her fear palpable in the tense atmosphere. Lyle warned her to stay still and with one look to the anger-filled eyes and she complied.

“Lyle, don’t…” J began, trying to reason with the man. If he could keep his captor’s attention on him, he hoped that he could save the girl at least some more pain. Instead, a demonic smile settled on Lyle’s face as he knelt by her body.

“Please…”


J ignored the burning in his chest. He ignored his screaming muscles and most of all; he ignored the oncoming lights of the cars as he continued blindly to run down the two-lane highway. All he saw was the scene that was playing it out in his memory.

Lyle’s fingers stopped at the top button of her shirt. The reality of what was happening must have sunk in, leaving the girl frozen in shock and fear. Slowly Lyle undid the first one, and then the second, the third until J couldn’t handle the panicked breaths coming from May Lin anymore and he called out, “I’ll play.”


He turned automatically from the highway onto a secondary dirt road. The moon was barely out but he didn’t need the light. He knew every dip and stone in the road as he raced the darkness of his soul.

“Good boy.” Lyle smirked as he moved from his position beside the girl towards where J was bound to the chair. Running his gloved hand through J’s hair, he gripped the short hairs at the back and pulled the boy’s head so that he was forced to look into Lyle’s hard eyes at an uncomfortable angle.

“Like all games, this one has rules.”

J couldn’t nod and he couldn’t answer. “Are you paying attention, Gemini? I wouldn’t want you to get it wrong and get penalised.”

He managed to give a weak acknowledgment to Lyle’s question. J listened with growing horror as Lyle explained slowly, making sure that J parroted his words. When he was finished, he patted J’s cheek before moving towards the girl once more.


It was quiet. The darkness surrounded him like velvet and he liked it. The soft sounds of his feet were the only beat he followed. It drove him to push harder and he was unaware of the slight crunch of wheels behind him.

May Lin screamed again and J struggled violently against the rope that bound him to the chair. All he managed was to rub his skin raw. Growling in anger, he intensified his struggles until the weakened foot on the left side gave way and he fell onto his side.

“You cannot escape, Gemini.” Lyle’s voiced remained eerily calm. “All you managed to do is to put yourself into a more uncomfortable position.” J stopped struggling. He felt sick and frightened for the girl and frustrated and angry at himself for allowing Lyle to manipulate him once again.

“Now choose.”

“I choose me.”

“That is not your choice. You are the one in control, now choose.” Turning the girl on her stomach, he warned her to stay still while he ripped the shirt from her back. J could only stare at the milky white skin and swallowed.

“Choose or I’ll be forced to continue,” Lyle warned. To J it didn’t look like the sociopath needed any incentive to continue but he wisely kept his mouth shut and didn’t voice it out loud. “Choose Gemini.” A note of impatience had crept in.

“I can’t choose.”

“A pity then,” Lyle said emotionlessly and turned his back on J while he moved his hand down her back until he touched her leg. She whimpered softly but otherwise stayed motionless. Lyle had shown both of them what happened if he was disobeyed.

“You’ll let her go if I answer.”

Lyle turned, watching J out of the corner of his eye. “You are the one in control, Gemini.” Lyle’s mocking tone provoked a sense of deep humiliation. J knew that he had been broken again. He noticed that Lyle promised nothing and J dropped his gaze. He concentrated on the small hole in the cement floor by his eyes.

“If I’m in control than let her go.”

“You know it doesn’t work that way. This is your last chance. Choose.”

J’s hands trembled and he blinked away the tears that were threatening to erupt when he answered Lyle’s question.

“Her left thumb. I choose her left thumb.”

J ran full force into the car that had appeared from nowhere. The wind escaped from his body with a loud whoosh and staggered backwards from the rebound until he collapsed onto his side. Black spots danced in front of his eyes as he tried to wheeze more air into his lungs. He heard a car door slam shut and then he managed to lift his eyes and make out the person who stood in front of him. His blood ran cold and he tried to back away from the menacing man before him.

“Don’t move.”

He stopped and then was yanked to his feet by his shirt. Lyle pushed him without a further word towards the car and J didn’t resist. Lyle was right. He was a coward. He stayed against the cooling metal of the car while Lyle opened the trunk.

“Get in.”

J didn’t even blink when the lid was slammed shut.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Russell farm


Lyle brought the car to a halt on the same outcrop he had watched the family from. He could see a car draw to a stop outside the house and when he used his binoculars he smiled. Jarod had arrived with his sister and the psychiatrist in tow. Whistling softly under his breath he walked around the car and opened the trunk. J’s dark eyes were staring up at him and he liked the fact that the boy was obedient when he told him to get out. Taking the boy towards the viewpoint, he pointed towards the house.

They could see small points of light moving away from the house and although J could hear the shouts from where he stood, he couldn’t make out the words. He didn’t need to; he could very well imagine that it was his name that was shouted. He could just make out the form of Sydney from the porch light that shown on the car and he watched as the psychiatrist drove off with Miss Parker. They were probably going to try and see if he wasn’t on the road, he surmised.

“I want you to go back.”

J turned and tried to make out Lyle’s features in the moonlight. “Why?”

Lyle smiled, giving J a knowing look. “Because I said so.”

J turned back to watch the points of light as it moved further away from the house. “I don’t want to go back. They don’t care about me.”

“Who are you trying to convince, Gemini. I can and will hurt your parents regardless of their feelings towards you.”

J didn’t answer, waiting for Lyle to continue.

“I want you to go back and apologise to your parents. You will explain to them in a sincere tone that you will not worry them again like that and that you will try to be a good son.”

“Why are you doing this? You have me, why give me a chance to tell my family about you,” J hissed.

“The game has not ended yet and until I say otherwise, you are still a participant.”

They stood in silence for five minutes until Lyle commanded J to leave. The boy didn’t look back once as he made his way towards one of the points of light that had been steadily moving towards their position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Russell farm

J watched his brother place the first aid kit on the table. His was seated by the kitchen table, his arm stretched out on the surface. He kept his head down, not looking at any of his family members while Jarod started to clean the wound gently.

He heard his father’s footsteps and he tensed slightly. Something was thrown on the table and when he looked he felt his stomach drop.

“What are these, J?”

J swallowed, aware that Jarod’s hand had stilled. Apparently his father had kept that little titbit from his brother. Jarod stretched out a hand and took the film packet.

“I’m talking to you, young man. Now answer me.”

“It helps me to sleep.”

“How many of these were you taking a day,” Jarod asked, placing the packet back on the table.

“Two to three. It depends.”

“On what.” J could here the anger in his father’s voice and calmly he replied, “On how bad the nightmares are.” J didn’t like the thoughtful look that came over Sydney’s face.

“J, do you trust us?”

J closed his eyes. He wished his father could have asked anything but that. The question of trust was not towards them. It was his trust they needed to worry about.

“Yes.”

“Charles, can I speak to you for a moment.”

J knew that Sydney would suggest that he see Dr. Brown first thing tomorrow and he couldn’t because he had an appointment with Lyle and he didn’t want to be late. Taking his arm from Jarod, he mumbled that he was going to take a shower. Jarod gave him a brief hug and he tiredly accepted it. An idea crossed his mind briefly and he focused on it more fully.

He was about to turn and leave when his father stepped back into the room. He nodded his agreement when his dad told him that he will take him to see his psychiatrist in the morning.

Then he said the words Lyle had told him to, telling his father that he was really sorry and he had no idea why he had taken the pills. He heard them rumble from his body, the pitch just right and his sorrow evident but the meaning of his restitution was as empty to him as a bottomless well.

He was good at pretending, after-all Raines taught him well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Russell farm


Jarod was the first to respond when a loud thump sounded from the upstairs bathroom. His father was right behind him when he encountered the locked door. Not even taking the time to knock, he broke the latch and stopped dead at the scene that was before him. J was seated in the shower, a broken piece of glass discarded next to his body. Red blood was steadily pumping out of his slit wrist. Bloodshot eyes stared dully from a pale face at Jarod.

The pretender rushed forward and grabbing a towel, he put pressure on the wound while yelling at his dad to call an ambulance.

“No. Please, don’t.”

J was barely coherent and he lashed out weakly at Jarod, trying to dislodge his brother’s hand from his wrist.

“This is not the answer, J. We’ll help you to get better, I promise.”

J didn’t answer, his head rolling to the side. When his father returned, they moved him towards the centre of the room so that they could elevate his legs to keep the blood flowing towards J’s major organs. Jarod increased the pressure on the wound, lifting the arm in the air. Professionally giving instructions to Sydney, the pair worked to get the blood stopped while J’s parents looked on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Russell farm

Lyle followed the ambulance at a discreet distance. He had known that Gemini would try and take his own life. He had followed the reasoning through in his head when he had prepared his little speech for this afternoon, knowing that the boy would see it as the only way out of meeting with him again.

His plans were falling perfectly in place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St. Vincent’s Hospital


J groggily opened his eyes and looked around. His wrist hurt abdominally and he flexed his fingers to try and alleviate the pain.

“How’s the pain?”

He turned his head and saw his brother sitting on a chair by his side. He didn’t answer, instead turned and watched the doctors rush past his bed to another emergency. He stiffened when one of the doctors turned and he met Lyle’s blue gaze. Jarod must have sensed something for he stood and stared but all he saw was the retreating back of a doctor.

“J, what’s wrong.”

“Why did you save me?”

“Why do you want to kill yourself?”

J didn’t answer. Instead he closed his eyes and feigned sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St. Vincent’s Hospital

“I’ve put J on suicide watch for the next few days. I’ll schedule to meet with him first thing in the morning.”

Major Charles nodded, thanking Dr. Brown for his effort and for coming out so late. He entered J’s private room, watching his two sons as they slept. Walking softly over, he shook Jarod slightly until his eldest son woke.

“Go home, Jarod. I’ll stay for the night.”

Jarod started to protest but his father was adamant and in the end he relented.

“I’ll come back tomorrow first thing.”

“Come at eleven. J is having a session with Dr. Brown and it will be pointless for you to wait here while he is gone.”

Jarod reluctantly agreed and encouraging his father that J will get better, he left after a hug. Major Charles turned to J, caressing his sleeping son’s hair away from his face.

“It will get better,” he promised silently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West coast

Jarod had awaken early and had decided that he needed the feel of the ocean against his skin to help calm his thoughts on what J had tried to do last night. Parker was meeting his mom so that they could get a few things for J’s stay in the hospital. Dr. Brown wanted to keep J in a controlled environment until he felt the boy had stabilised enough emotionally before he would recommend his release. His parents had agreed.

Kissing his fiancé goodbye, he greeted Sydney who had stepped outside before grabbing his board. An hour later he felt better. The waves had been good and feeling the board beneath him had helped him to focus his thoughts on finding ways of helping his younger brother. Humming to himself, Jarod placed his board in the garage before stepping through the open kitchen door. He wanted to talk to Sydney about a few of his ideas before he left for the hospital.

He froze for a second at what greeted his eyes. Sitting in a chair by the kitchen table was Sydney; his upper body slumped over the table. Blood had congealed on a head wound that looked nasty, prompting him to move over to check on his mentor. He failed to notice the other's presence and his first awareness came when his mouth and nose was crushed beneath a damp cloth. He struggled against the hold, trying to break free. A dark haze filled his eyesight and he became frantic in his efforts to break free. In his struggle he barely perceived the prick. His world spiralled into a darkening void and he went limp in the arms of his attacker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I continue? ;-) Let me know.