Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

 

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Thank you for all the reviews. Uhm, not a lot of reviews…does that mean I should stop or…

Escape and Rescue

Unknown area

J’s body was screaming for a stop, for any kind of relief from the mind numbing pain in his side. But that was not possible, not with Lyle behind them. He still doesn’t know why he had stopped Jarod from killing Lyle. It had been something he had dreamed about for a long while now. Something he had came to savour every time he had woken from a nightmare of that day in the warehouse. And he had actually told Jarod not to pull the trigger in so many words.

He wished his brother had not listened. If only…but now was not the time to dwell on what could have been. They had to look towards the future, towards freedom and a life without fear.

“You still with me?”

Jarod’s words interrupted his thoughts and his concentration slipped. He faltered, his feet tangling. Jarod’s grip kept him upright but his near fall pulled his side muscles and pain roared through him in waves of fire. He made no sound as he pushed the pain to the back of his mind. Mr. Raines had always taught him to move past his own discomforts.

“I’m ok,” he managed to choke out; ignoring the incredulous look his brother gave him. “Really.”

His brother gave him another -yeah right- look before letting it go. They continued on in silence, trying to put as much distance between them and Lyle as possible before the other man woke.

“Do you think Mom is ok?”

He hadn’t meant to ask but he needed the assurance even if it was a lie.

“I hope so,” Jarod’s answered quietly. “You want to rest?”

J shook his head. He didn’t think he’d have the strength to get up again if he lay down. They stopped when their feet stepped onto a service road that was covered in weed and debris. Jarod looked left and right before turning towards where he could see buildings not to far away.

“We should be safe there. I can make it difficult for Lyle to find us until help arrives.”

“How will…they know…where to find…us?” He was finding it more difficult to breath. He felt feverish and the pain was starting to creep up on him. He tried to banish it back to the dark recesses of his mind and failed.

“They will,” Jarod said distractedly, his gaze on the buildings. J didn’t point out the flaws in the answers. They were in an unknown town that looked seemingly deserted with a psychopath probably all ready on their trail. Belay that, a very pissed of psychopath bent on creating new horrors in their minds.

He wondered what he would do if Lyle managed to find them. Somehow he thought sorry just wouldn’t cut it.

“Stop it.”

J looked at Jarod in surprise to find his brother’s concerned gaze on him.

“I know what you’re thinking. Don’t.”

“Why? What…happens…if he finds…us? What…do we do…then?”

Jarod stopped and turned so that he could face J. He didn’t like the feverish glint in his brother’s eyes. His skin was too hot and dry to the touch.

“I’ll keep you safe, J. Please, believe me. I’ll keep you safe.”

J smiled and felt his lips crack. “You can…barely stand.”

Jarod chuckled. “Well, you’re not much better.” Jarod turned back to his brother’s side and they continued their trek.

“We’re two geniuses. I’m sure between us we can come up with a plan of staying out of Lyle’s clutches.”


Unknown area

Margaret felt her heart lurch when she finally noticed the cut phone line. Dropping the handle back on the handset, she turned and slowly slid down the wall. She had located two pay phones, both irreparable. She felt hopeless.

What if she couldn’t find help?

She had survived so long in the Centre’s shadow that it had now all become too much. Her heart was breaking. She had no idea whether her sons were safe and she could only imagine what Lyle would do to them. She felt tears form and slide silently down her cheeks.

She was so tired of fighting.

She finally wiped away the tears and slowly rose. Determination reset itself in her heart, keeping the pieces glued together. For her sons. She’ll keep on fighting for her sons.

Her eyes set on the next building and finding a phone. She had too. She was their hope.


The Russell farm

The dull buzzing in her ears didn’t want to go away. She tried to ignore it. Blessed silence cut the sound off and she sank back into the darkness of oblivion. It didn’t last. The buzzing sounded again. Irritated, she turned and woke abruptly when the solidness that had been underneath her, disappeared.

“What…”

Her eyes opened and she gazed with confusion at the wall. Her headache had not improved. She managed to put a steady hand on the chair she had fell asleep on and pushed herself to her knees. The buzzing sound finally registered as the shrill ring of her phone. She groaned when she looked at her watch.

She had slept no more than an hour and she could feel it. Her body was sluggish to respond and sleep clouded her mind. Wiping a hand across her face, she rose and made her way to the sink. Splashing cold water on her, she felt a little better. Enough to realise that her phone was still ringing.

“What?”

The answer lacked venom. She was too tired to make it into anything more than a greeting.

“Miss Parker, it’s me. Broots.”

It spoke volumes that she made no snide remark to his greeting. Her silence must have unnerved the tech, for he stammered through his next words. “The…the centre is really on th…their way.”

Damn her brother and his idiotic brain schemes.

“Do they know about us?”

“Lyle’s made a deal. H..he gets Jarod and we are…”

“Don’t bother continuing, Broots. I get the picture.” She didn’t have strength to deal with the Centre as well. She ignored the pounding in her head.

“Broots, meet us at the hospital. Get transfer papers for Sydney and an ambulance.”

“H…how…”

“You’re the computer genius. Figure it out.”

She cut him off. They didn’t have time anymore. She had to wake the major and then they had to make sure Sydney was safe before they can even think of looking for Jarod and the rest.

Damn her brother.


Unknown area

They made it to one of the buildings when J felt his chest constrict. He tried to take another breath and it didn’t come any easier than the previous one. Something was seriously wrong.

As J continued to lean on his brother, he tried to clear his mind. He could feel a strange coldness spread from his wound outwards. He knew his own body well enough to know that something had come loose inside. He reached out with his hand and touched something wet. When he withdrew his hand, his palm was crimson.

“J, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he managed to say, pushing his hand down his leg, away from Jarod’s gaze.

Jarod’s lips became thin lines as he pressed it together but he didn’t reply as they entered an apartment.

“Let me look.” His voice left no voice for argument and J allowed him to gently lower him to the floor. He closed his eyes in thankfulness when his trembling legs were finally allowed some respite even if it was only for a little while.

He could feel his strength fading as Jarod lifted the bandage. He heard his brother swear and blinked his eyes open in surprise.

“Is it that…bad?”

His brother avoided his gaze. He closed his eyes again. It was getting increasingly difficult to keep them open.

“J, I…I need to leave you here. Just for a few minutes.” He could hear the anguish in his brother’s voice but I found that he had no strength left to answer. As he slipped further into delirium, he felt a hand on his shoulder, shaking him lightly.

“J, you need to stay awake.”

That’s funny, he though. All Jarod wants is for him to stay awake. He saw the air waver and once again he could see himself and his brother. He didn’t bother turning around when he felt her presence.

“I need just a little more time.”

“There’s not a lot left,” she said softly, sadly. He nodded, knowing that she was right.

“He needs me.”

His words echoed his previous one and he wondered if that would be enough. To be needed. Soft hands settled gently on his shoulders and he turned and buried his face in her chest. Sorrow welled up and he cried his regrets and loss into her shoulder until he was done.

“I’m sorry.” He didn’t know why he apologised but it felt good to do it.

She smiled a soft, sad smile. “It’s ok, J. Be strong.”

He sniffled and wiped his nose on his shirt.

“I’m proud of you.”

He looked up and saw her smile. “Why?”

“For not allowing Jarod to pull the trigger. It would have hurt him deep inside if he had.”

“I wished he had.”

“I know J but you still stopped him.”

“Who’s going to stop Lyle?”

She leaned in and pulled him closer so that he once again felt her peace. She spoke into his hair, “Don’t worry about Lyle.”

It wasn’t really an answer but it was enough.


Unknown area

Jarod tried to keep the panic at bay and failed miserably. He was frantically searching the rooms, trying to find any supplies that might help him deal with J’s wound. He was bleeding internally and he needed to re-stitch the wound. Tears were running unchecked down his face and he wiped at them now and again.

He finally broke down in some bathroom when he located a first aid kit. The sobs tore from his body in big gasps as he allowed the fear for his brother to surface. He had no idea if he could bring him back. If he could save him this time.

Why didn’t he stay by the van? He shouldn’t have left, should have watched Lyle. But he knew that if Lyle had a partner they would have been in even more danger. Spent, he pulled the first aid kit close to his chest and held it tight, almost hugging it. His own broken ribs protested but he ignored them as he made his way towards his brother. The loss of emotion had helped and he felt more awake and clear than he had in days.

He took a deep breath of relief when he knelt by his brother and felt a pulse. It was weak and erratic but it was there. The first aid kit he had found was better equipped than the one he had at his parent’s house. He cleaned the area quickly and then cut away the remaining stitches that had not torn. J whimpered softly when he parted the flesh to get a look inside.

Jarod apologised softly and then tuned everything out as he bent over his brother and hoped his skills were enough to pull J through this time.


East coast

“Dr Brown, I know you’re a head shrink but I need to know if you’ll be able to take care of Sydney when we leave.”

“Why the haste, Miss Parker?” he asked her. They were standing in the chapel, their whispers the only ones that filled the air.

“The Centre knows where we are. We need to move,” came the curt reply.

Dr Brown looked at her contemplatively and the silence stretched until he broke it. “I’ll be able to look after Sydney but we need to move him to another hospital or specialised clinic as soon as possible.”

“Agreed. The nurse wanted a physician’s signature for the release papers. Can you…”

He took it from her and they left the chapel and moved towards ICU. Moving Sydney now was not ideal but he knew enough about the Centre to understand the reason why. He gave the signed papers to the head nurse and nodded curtly his agreement when the papers were queried again. He could see that she wasn’t happy about moving Sydney but he couldn’t assail her fears.

Miss Parker’s phone rang and the glare the nurse threw her was enough to freeze boiling water. Miss Parker ignored the look and answered quickly.

“Two teams just stopped in front.”

She didn’t bother answering. She leaned in and whispered in his ear, “They’re here.”

Dr Brown nodded and an aura of haste entered his movements. “Claudia, can Sydney be moved now?” he asked hastily, glancing at the elevator doors and the light above them.

“Yes, the orderlies should be…hey!” she explained when he pushed her out of the way. Miss Parker grabbed one end of the bed and they started moving the bed, ignoring the still protesting nurse.

“Back elevators,” he said as they started moving. Miss Parker didn’t answer, only changed direction to show that she had heard.

“How do you know they won’t use it?”

He shook his head, even thought she couldn’t see him. “It’s used for deliveries. They shouldn’t know about it.”

Regardless, she drew her gun and held it ready at her side when she pushed the button. She watched Dr Brown glance at the light above the other doors way down the hall and understood his anxiousness.

“Come one…” she kept repeating like a mantra. She heard footsteps on the emergency next to her. Her hands were sweaty on the gun but she kept it ready. The door started to open when the ding sounded loudly next to her ear.

She didn’t have time to thank Lady Luck as they pushed Sydney into the elevator. The doors closed too slowly and just as a slit remained she heard a more distant ding.

They had made it. Just.

“He’s still stable.”

Guiltily, she glanced at Sydney. She had forgotten about him, her mind still on finding a clear way out.

“Broots has an ambulance waiting by the emergency doors.”

The doors opened by her side and she perused the immediate area. No black suits. Good. Helping Dr Brown to push Sydney’s bed, they manoeuvred it through the milling area towards the doors. A motion drew her attention and she looked towards it. Her eyes connected with the dark brown ones of Willie and held them for a moment. She saw him speak into a mike at his collar.

“Move. Now,” she growled just loud enough for the man behind her to hear as she increased her own speed.

She ignored the looks of doctors and medical personnel as they ran with the bed towards the doors. She thanked Broots when she saw the ambulance backing in and they slammed the bed into the back of the ambulance. Her gun was out and ready to use as she slammed the doors closed and ran for the driver’s door.

“Move over.”

Her words were sparse as Broots scrambled for the other side. She threw the gun at him and he fumbled before catching it by the barrel. She grinded it into first gear and spun the wheels as she tailgated before straightening for the entrance to the hospital. She watched Willie throw his hands in the air before earnestly beginning to shout into his mike.

She didn’t need to be a lip reader to know what he was saying.

“The safety is off, Broots. Don’t pull the damn trigger in the car.”

She saw the two black sedans racing her for the exit. In answer she pushed down on the gas and felt the power push the ambulance forward. It’s going to be close. Very.

“Broots, lower your window. I want you to aim the gun at the cars and then pull the trigger. The gun will recoil, so keep your hand steady. Aim for the body of the car.”

Broots paled but did as she asked. She heard the first loud report as the gun discharged. She could only hope that the tech could hit but she knew that even if he didn’t, it could by them the few milliseconds needed to win the race.

Another crack sounded and she watched as the front car swerved before straightening again. She smiled as she squeezed through the exit just in front of the others. She flicked the emergency switches.

“Broots, radio the police. Tell them there is a pair of black sedans chasing an ambulance with guns.”

Fifteen minutes later she let up on the gas when the two cars behind her were surrounded by police. It had been too close but they were still free. She switched the radio for the back and asked, “How’s Sydney doing?”

“Your driving didn’t help.”

She stayed silent and replaced the radio. She could hear from the strain in the doctor’s voice that things were not going well. She could only hope that the Major had better luck than they had.


East coast

Margaret sighed in relief when a dial tone sounded in her ear. She had found a phone that worked after the fifth one, or sixth – she wasn’t sure anymore. She pressed the familiar numbers and waited.

“Charles.”

“Thank God, Charles. It’s Margaret. I…Lyle…”

“We know. Are you hurt?”

“No…but J….Lyle cut him with a knife…he nearly died, Charles. I…”

“J’s still alive?”

“Yes…I think so. I left them with him…Jarod said to find you. You have to move Sydney to safety. Lyle wants Jarod to kill him.”

“He’s already being moved. Margaret, do you know where you are?”

She looked around her at the desolation. She couldn’t see any names or recognisable landmarks.

“I don’t know. It’s a deserted town. We drove a long time before we stopped here.”

Charles opened the local area map and started scanning the surrounding area to their farm. “Did you at any time leave the tar road?”

“Yes, I think about halfway through our journey.”

He scanned the lines as his finger travelled along the map. He could hear his wife’s tired breathing and it calmed it to know that she was at least safe for now. He found what he was looking for as his finger settled on the dimly printed name.

Foolsgate

No wonder it was a ghost town. “Margaret, you still there?” When she answered, he continued, “I know where you are. Stay close to the phone; I’ve got its number on mine. I’ll call you when Sydney’s safe. We’re on our way.”


East coast

Miss Parker answered on the second ring. She was 45 minutes from the clinic that will house Sydney. They had booked him in under a pseudonym. She could only pray that the Centre won’t do a deeper search of the local clinics and hospitals.

“Margaret’s safe. She just phoned me. It looks like Lyle drove them to a deserted town called Foolsgate. She escaped and has no idea whether Lyle still has Jarod or J.”

“The blood…”

“J’s. He’s seriously injured and Margaret told me that he nearly died.”

She was silent as she digested the information. She felt guilty for her relief for knowing it’s not Jarod’s.

“How long will it take us from the clinic to get there?”

“I don’t know. Best I can guess is an hour to two. Depends on the condition of the road.”


Unknown area

It had not been difficult to follow the trail. He entered the building warily, knowing that Jarod could have set traps. His fears were unfounded when he heard the soft rustle from an apartment close to the opening. A smile settled slowly when he took in the scene before him.

Jarod was busy stitching up Gemini’s side. His full concentration was on the boy and allowed Lyle to enter and take the gun from Jarod’s waistband. Jarod didn’t acknowledge his presence in any way. He continued to work silently on J. Lyle was content to watch, knowing he had the overhand. Jarod will pay later for his indiscretion at the warehouse.

“If he dies, it will be entirely your fault.”

Jarod finished his last stitch and slowly leaned back on his knees. “I wasn’t the one who knifed him in the stomach.”

He heard Lyle shift but he made no movement of his own except watch as J’s chest rose upwards.

“True, but that he deserved. If you hadn’t moved him, he will be recovering in his cell, not dying.”

Jarod met Lyle’s cold eyes angrily. He knew what the other was doing but he didn’t care. “I’ll never stop fighting you.”

Lyle laughed and it brought a chill to Jarod’s flesh. He didn’t like the sound or what it entailed. “Everyone has a breaking point, Jarod. Even you.”

“No!”

Lyle’s eyes darkened as he cleaned his fingers with his knife. So cliché but it never ceases to draw attention and fear. And he could see it trying to hide in Jarod’s eyes.

“Maybe Gemini can explain it to you someday…that’s if he survive the next hour.”

He could see Jarod swallow and he allowed another smirk to flash across his face. So predictable. So easy.

“I won’t allow you to touch him.”

Lyle rose from where he had been leaning against the wall and stepped towards the duo. “No? And how do you plan on stopping me?”

Jarod rose and stepped over J so that he was between the boy and Lyle. “You’ll have to kill me before I’ll allow you to touch him again.”

Lyle’s eyebrows rose as he said in a mocking tone, “Really?”

Jarod clenched his fists but stood his ground as the blond man stepped closer, his knife balanced in his hand. Jarod watched him closely and was ready when the knife lunged for his side. He managed blocked Lyle’s knife hand but was unable to prevent the punch to his already sore and bruised ribs. It dropped him to his knees but he used the pain as a way of fuelling his anger.

He rose swiftly, trying to come in under Lyle’s guard. He blocked another punch but it left his other side open for the blond man’s knife hand. He desperately started to pivot. The knife sliced into his arm, cutting deep into his muscle. He cried out in pain, grabbing his arm and pulling it close to his body. He could feel the blood welling up between his fingers and then start to drip towards the floor.

He didn’t move, standing hunched over as Lyle slowly circled him. His eyes followed the man as he tried to think past the numbness in his mind.

“Does that hurt?”

He didn’t reply, kept stubbornly quiet. Lyle tisked and shook his head. “Oh well, I’m sure Gemini will be ready to explain to me. You should have heard his screams…wait, you did.”

Jarod growled and lunged himself at Lyle. His fingers brushed the other man but his reactions were too slow. He landed on his side and curled into himself when Lyle kicked him. He could only watch as Lyle stepped over J and crouched beside the boy.

“Don’t hurt him.”

“Or what, Jarod? Who’s the one in control?”

Jarod swallowed his pride. His eyes couldn’t hide his fear for his brother when Lyle placed the knife over the newly stitched cut.

“You are.”

Lyle pressed slightly harder, his one eyebrow raised. Jarod watched the knife carefully as he stated again, “You are the one in control, Mr Lyle.” The knife rose and with it Lyle.

“How long before he can be safely moved?”

“I don’t know,” he replied sullenly. Lyle wasn’t impressed. “You’re a genius last time I checked, Jarod. Hazard a calculated guess.”

“Not soon. Not for a day at least if he is to survive.”

Lyle contemplated his statement while his blue eyes continued to roam over Jarod’s prone form.

“Very well, we’ll stay here for now. Any more escape attempts from you and I’ll make sure Gemini will get to know the real meaning of pain before I’ll release him from his misery. Are we clear?”

Jarod dropped his gaze and nodded. He heard Lyle move away before something clanked by his feet.

“Put them on.”

He did as he was told before tentatively moving closer to J. He seated himself by his brother and tended to his arm wound under the watchful gaze of their captor. He checked J’s breathing and pulse. It was still too weak for him to relax.

“Come on J. Don’t leave, please. Fight,” he whispered. He clasped his brother’s hand in his and held it, all the while wondering if it wouldn’t be better if his brother slipped away without being aware that they were back under Lyle’s control.


Reviews are always appreciated.