Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Thanks so much for all the reviews. It really helps to build the muse and send forth ideas. Sorry this took so long.

Chapter 9

Police station, Blue water

“Jarod, where were you yesterday, someone was looking for you?”

Jarod seated himself by his desk, his mind still reeling from his assault and warning. “Who?”

“A Miss Parker.”

Jarod sank into the chair, hope flaring. Cox could not fault him if Parker appeared. There might just be a way out of this. “Thanks Johnson.” He dismissed the officer, waiting for the door to close. His desk phone rang and he answered it, expecting Murray or another fellow officer.

“Don’t think about it, check your office.”

It was the same gruff voice from the alley. Replacing the headset, he scrutinized the walls. He detected four cameras placed around the room, giving him no privacy. Despair settled as he finally admitted how screwed he was. Cox had thought of everything. Grabbing his jacket, he made his way out of the office. Coffee definitely sounded like a good idea. At least he’ll be able to think in the general quiet of the diner and he could not be punished for doing something he had been doing for the past week. He needed the time to think.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan

Davey watched warily as Mr. Raines walked towards the table where he sat as close to Cain as the seating would allow. He fidgeted and then felt the reassuring hand of Cain. He took courage from it, glancing upwards at his friend’s impassive face. A small squeeze was all that was given, all that could be given.

He remembered what the bad man did to him. He remembered how he had hidden away within himself. He could see everything from a distance, as though it was far far away. But he knew that if Jarod had not brought him back he would have stayed there, lost and afraid. He didn’t want that to happen again.

“I see that… the boy is behaving… appropriately.” Raines said, looking at the subdued child.

“He listens.” Cain replied, his tone carefully kept neutral. His was trying to understand the tide of emotions that seemed to ebb and flow inside him. Nothing of it showed, but he couldn’t for the life of him remember when he had felt this way. He felt very protective of the boy, even though he knew that Davey was not his to begin with.

“I’m pleased… with his…test results. He shows…promise, although…Jarod is still… the best.”

Cain nodded, knowing that would be the only praise he would receive. He knew about the prodigal pretender and the income he had generated for the Centre.

“I…need him…to do some…more tests. There are…some issues…that need…to be clarified.” Raines’ blue gaze settled on Cain, his eyes boring into the others. “Did you…set up the…second room…to my specifications?”

“Yes, Mr. Raines.” Cain answered tonelessly.

“Good. Prepare…the boy.”

“Mr. Raines,” Cain began when his mentor turned away to talk to one of the sweepers. He had wanted to spare Davey but as his mentor turned back and he saw the look on Raines’ face he knew that there was nothing that he could say that would change the other’s mind.

“What is it…Cain?”

He could feel the small boy’s shoulder underneath his hand and as if from nowhere an idea materialized. It had taken no longer than the few seconds when Raines had turned and asked the question for the idea to form. Keeping his face carefully neutral, he lied for the first time in his life to his mentor.

“The boy still needs another day to be fully prepped.”

Raines scrutinized Cain with more interest. “I understood…that the…boy would…ready.”

Cain kept Raines gaze, willing the other to believe him. “Yes, but the initial timeline was a week to prepare the boy. When you had phoned on Saturday, I had to cram five days into two. That still leaves two days of preparation that need to be done. I can do it tomorrow. Then you can begin the tests that you need.”

Raines narrowed his eyes, trying to determine if Cain was lying. He had never lied to him before but there was a first time for everything. “When last…we spoke…you never mentioned….any problems.”

Cain carefully dropped his eyes, mentally trying to project an air of apology. “I…I know. I thought that I would be able to prepare him adequately.”

He heard the squeak of the oxygen tank as Raines stepped closer until his hand came up and lifted his chin. He once again made contact with the blue gaze of Raines.

“You…do understand…the price of failure.”

His only visible outlet was his right hand that formed into a fist next to his side. His other hand was almost protective around the boy now with the closeness of his mentor. He didn’t answer the rhetorical question. He had experienced that price more than once in his life.

Raines turned his head, watching Davey and Cain’s hand on the boy. With a swiftness that belied his age, he backhanded the boy, watching Davey fall back against the headrest of the chair. Davey’s eyes expanded with fear and he tried to shrink further into the chair, the tears already forming in his eyes. Cain stood rooted, his face not showing any emotion as a powerful surge of anger battered against his defenses. He knew that the only reason that Raines had done it was to determine his feelings for the boy. If he showed any, he or the boy would be separated and he did not want that to happen.

Another minute followed in silence except for the sniffle that came from the boy. Then abruptly Raines turned, walking away from the two. “Agreed,” was hissed and Cain understood the hidden warning.

Fail again, and Davey will be taken away.

He waited until Raines had left and then turned to Davey. The boy’s eyes kept floating past him, watching the now open door warily. “It’s ok. He can’t hurt you now,” Cain said softly. He reached out slowly and put a hand on Davey’s shoulder. The boy jumped and pulled back. Cain dropped the hand to his side and waited until the boy’s attention came back to him. He could see the overload of emotion in the boy’s eyes.

“He’s gone, Davey.” He tried to reason logically, “It’s ok now.”

“You promised.” The boy accused. The pain in the boy’s voice cut like knife blades through Cain and he couldn’t understand why it hurt so much. Cain had no idea what to say, and was speechless as the boy continued to stare at him.

“He hurt me.”

That statement cut even more deeply. “I’m sorry,” was all Cain could manage. Davey stared at him and thought for a while. Slowly he extended a hand and waited for Cain to take it. With serious eyes that held the remembrance of tears he said solemnly, “Friends are supposed to protect each other. From everything.”

Cain knelt next to Davey, his big hand engulfing the smaller one next to him. The same one that he had spit on a few days ago. “I will remember that,” he said, his own gaze serious. Davey leaned into him, wrapping his arms around Cain’s neck.

“Promise?”

Holding the boy’s gaze, Cain replied, “I promise.” He put his hand on Davey’s blond hair, hugging him close and wondered how he was going to manage to keep the promise with Raines around without getting both of them killed. When the boy returned the hug, he promised himself that he would give everything to keep his word.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight’s Inn, Blue water

“Shit.”

Lyle stood in the centre of Parker’s room and fumed. His quick search of her room had left him frustrated. His sister was gone and he had no idea where. He made another slower turn before moving to the closet. Nothing but clothes greeted his eyes. Frustrated, he slammed the door shut. He was about to turn away to leave when he spotted a corner of a manila folder sticking out from under the bed.

Pulling it from its hiding place, he opened the folder and spread the papers over the duvet. What he saw made him swear again. Why couldn’t his sister keep her nose where it belonged? He took out his phone, his fingers dialing the familiar number automatically.

“It’s me.”

“What is it, Lyle. I’m busy,” his father’s voice came brusquely.

“She knows about the boy. She must have found out at the police station.”

“Dammit, Lyle. The reason I send you was to prevent her from discovering anything related to the project. You need to fix this.” Mr. Parker barked, “I want her back at the Centre before any damage can be done.”

“That might be a problem. She’s gone.”

“What do mean she’s gone, Lyle? You were supposed to keep an eye on her.”

Lyle gripped the phone harder, ignoring the little voice inside that was telling him that if Parker found the boy that he was as good as dead.

“I can’t very well sleep in the same room. She told me that she had a headache and that she needed some rest.”

“And you believed her,” came the angry reply, “I want her found and brought back here. Do you understand me?”

Lyle disconnected the phone and slid it back into his pocket. He glanced at the papers, trying to find a search point that Parker had used. He ignored the data on the boy and his parents, instead focusing on the information about the murders. A name sprang up and a thin grin emerged on his face.

Gotcha.

At least he knew where to start his search. Hopefully he will arrive the moment Parker understood that she had underestimated her quarry, and then he can decide how to tell his father about his sister’s unfortunate demise as he raced to the “rescue”. Things might just work out the way he wanted and with it his way will be open to the chairmanship.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Diner, Blue water

“Jarod?” The small voice made him turn. He went white when he saw who had called his name. His sister Emily was staring up at him, a grin of wonder starting to form. He grabbed her, pushing her towards the back of the diner, his eyes roving over the faces of the people who sat and stood around them.

“Emily, you have to leave.”

Her smile has changed, worry creasing her eyes. “Why, what’s wrong. I thought…”

He was unaware how tight he was holding on to her, his anxiety increasing with each second. “Please, it’s not safe. You have to leave. Now.”

She winched, and he finally understood his bruising grip. Slowly releasing his hands, he saw her stroke her arms where he had held her.

“I don’t understand.”

He had no way of making her understand. She was one more person that Cox could hurt if they found her. Another pawn to be held so that he would do what they wanted.

“Please, Emily.”

All the things she had wanted to say stuck in her throat. He left her standing there, making his way out of the diner. She watched him leave, and as he disappeared out the door she noticed two men who followed him. Aware of his warning, she made her way towards the bathroom, escaping through the window. She didn’t know how, but she was sure that if she had gone out the front door, she would have been intercepted. She had lived her life on the run for the past sixteen years. These things come naturally, the eluding of the Centre goons.

As she made her way down the alley, she determined that she was going to find out what had her brother so scared. Maybe if she phoned her mom, they could come up with a plan together. Making sure she’s not followed, she made her way towards her apartment.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue water

Lyle was making his way down Madison Avenue when he noticed someone slip from an alley into the road just in front of him. He ducked inside a doorway when the person cautiously looked around before moving away from him. He checked his watch before looking at the retreating back of the woman he had spotted and smiled.

There was time.

Taking another look he started following her, making sure that sufficient distance was between them. He took extra precautions to make sure he was not seen as he followed her down the street towards the apartment blocks that had been built by the lakeside. He took note of the building that she disappeared into before turning and making his way back.

Things were definitely looking brighter. This time he will have a bargaining chip if Jarod somehow figured a way out of his predicament. All he had to figure out now was how not to rescue his sister.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ware house district, Blue water

The dimly lit room was hazy from the smoke of the dozen or so patrons that was scattered around it. Eyes had swiveled towards the unwelcome light that had entered briefly when the door had slammed open. One man that stood at the back gave the woman and man a once over before disappearing through the door he had been guarding. The rest looked with hungry eyes at Miss Parker when she made her way towards the bar with Sam.

She dismissed them; her hand concealed in her coat and with it her gun. One glance to a particular bold starer and he turned his eyes away while he gulped the last dregs of his drink. He mumbled an apology before shuffling his way outside and away from Miss Parker’s icy gaze. The barman had moved closer to her, trying to clean a glass with a filthy rag.

“Are you lost, cause your kind usually don’t come here.”

Miss Parker smiled dangerously before leaning over the counter and putting her hand with a hundred dollar bill in front of the bar man’s eyes. He started to drift one hand downwards to where the green corner stuck out. Miss Parker held his gaze and slowly shook her head. With Sam watching her back she wasn’t really worried about the other people in the bar. All her focus was on the man in front of her.

“I’ll keep my hands where I can see them, just in case you don’t want to lose those.”

The bar man followed her other hand that had emerged from her jacket and to where the gun was pointed. He swallowed and made sure that his hands didn’t stray down to the twelve-gauge he kept hidden by the register.

Keeping her voice low, she continued, “I was told that you have information on where I can find a certain Mr. Deeves.”

His gaze strayed down to where the hundred dollar bill waited and then to where the gun was still unerringly pointed. He made his decision and later he would convince himself that it had been for the money and not for the glint that he had caught in her eye.

“Backroom.”

Miss Parker smiled, silently warning him to move back. He did without any hesitation, watching as she and the man with her left for the door next to the bathrooms. Miss Parker held her gun in front of her before looking at Sam. He nodded and they slammed the door open on a surprised guard and a smallish man that was trying to wriggle through the window. Sam motioned the guard sideways as Miss Parker stormed her way forward.

The man was about half way out, and his wriggling has increased ten fold as the panic hit him and he tried to get out before she made her way towards him. She was just in time to slam the window pane down on the small of his back, effectively pinning him halfway out the window. He screamed in pain before swearing loudly a string of words.

“Mr. Deeves I presume.”

“What do you want, bitch?”

Miss Parker jammed her gun into his backside before replying in an even voice. “Information.”

Deeves grunted when the hard barrel pushed again before replying, “Ok, wait. Can I at least get back inside?”

“Make one move further out the window and you get a second hole.”

Deeves nodded vigorously before sliding carefully back into the room. He stared accusingly at the guard before tucking his clothes back into a semblance of normality. Taking one hand he smoothed his hair and then sauntered his way towards the desk.

“That’s far enough, buster.”

He stopped at the words from Miss Parker. “What kind of information are ya looking for, cause it’s gonna cost yer.”

Miss Parker slowly lifted an eyebrow and smiled. “What is your life worth?”

“Uh, that’s ok. This one I’ll do for free. Special cause you’re a new customer and all.”

“That’s mighty kind of you,” Miss Parker replied, her gaze direct. “I want information on the dark angel.”

Deeves went white, and stuttered. Miss Parker had never seen anyone that terrified before. He was slowly moving backwards, his hands pleadingly out in front of him. He jumped when his back hit the wall.

“N…No, please, I can’t. He’ll kill me.”

“And if you don’t tell me, then I’ll make you’re life a living hell. Make you’re choice.” Miss Parker warned. The man looked around him for any help but he found none. Miss Parker took a step closer and he cringed. Wetting his lips, his roaming eyes now settled on her gun he pleaded.

“You have no idea, he is not like others. He…he tortures…”

“I have seen what he can do but you have never seen what I’m capable of.”

Deeves visibly swallowed and wiped the sweat that had formed on his forehead. He was between the proverbial rock and a hard place and he had no idea how to get out of it with his skin still intact. He thought about the money he had put away and then about the current threat that was more real than the distant one. He could disappear. Move to the south. His mind was reeling with half baked plans while he convinced his trembling body to obey.

“Speak to Vince at the Baker’s club. He will know.”

“If you lie…”

Suddenly tired, Deeves nodded as he said, “I know. I’m not.” When Miss Parker turned to leave he cleaned his throat, “Uh, this I give for free, for you know, not killing me. Vince, he’s a real bad guy, just watch your back, ok.”

“He has never met me,” Miss Parker said before making her way out the door.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

Sydney was staring at the stilled image of Jarod as he cowered against the glass corner. His eyes were strained from focusing on the monitor but he couldn’t get himself to look away. He was finally remembering how Raines had managed to get his hands on Jarod. He had been sent on a symposium to Belgium on twins that had taken him away from the Centre for two weeks.

He remembered.

Jarod was unusually subdued. He didn’t make any eye contact with Sydney where he sat in the seat.

“Jarod, why did you hide away in the ventilation shaft?”

Jarod shifted but didn’t answer. Sydney made his way closer, finally kneeling next to the boy and pulling his chin up so that the dark, tear filled eyes could look into his.

“Jarod?”

“Please don’t make me go back.”

“Where?”

“The glass box.” Came so softly that for a minute Sydney thought that Jarod had not spoken at all.

“What happens in the glass box, Jarod?”

“I lose who I am.”

Sydney frowned at the sentence, trying to decipher the hidden meaning behind it. It didn’t make sense. Jarod was a pretender. He wasn’t supposed to have a sense of self. He was about to question further when Jarod went rigid with fear.

“Sydney, Mr. Parker wants to see you.”

Sydney rose slowly, turning and watched as Dr William Raines took a drag of his cigarette. The doctor’s gaze shifted from the boy back to him.

“Jarod, I’ll be back soon then we’ll discuss this further.”

Jarod nodded but his terrified gaze never wavered from the body of Dr Raines.

He remembers now how he had been ordered not to delve any further into Jarod’s fear. He had been told that the boy will forget about it and that what had been done under Dr Raines had been necessary to ascertain the viability of another project. He had kept his mouth shut and had never spoken about it to Jarod. Except for the nightmares that the boy seemed to develop soon after, Jarod never spoke about it either.

Suddenly feeling old, Sydney rose and left for the tech lab. Angelo was still seated against one wall, sleeping on a blanket that they had found. Broots was busy by one of the tables, the old recorder opened and stripped.

“Broots, we need to go back to the SL-23. There is something I need to find.”

“Uh, ok. I can’t do anything with this information until the conversion has been done.” Broots said as he indicated the recorder. He grabbed a flashlight and made his way to where Sydney was waiting. “What are you looking for?”

“The reason for Jarod’s nightmares.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police station, Blue water

Jarod was met by detective Murray as he entered the police station.

“Another body has been discovered in the ware house district. We’re leaving now.”

Jarod followed Murray back down the steps towards where one of the squad cars had been waiting. Jarod was quiet in the car, staring blindly out the window. He felt time slipping away from him and he could only hope that his sister was safe.

“Agent Kennett, are you alright?” Murray asked.

Jarod smiled and nodded, replying that he had had a long day and was tired. The other nodded but Jarod could see that the detective didn’t believe him. There was nothing he could do about it. All he could focus on for the moment was the safety of his family and keeping his mother alive.

The car came to a halt in front an old decrepit building. The flashing lights of the car bounced over the walls as clouds started to gather in the air above. Jarod knew from experience that the rain would soon make its appearance. Pulling his jacket around his ears, he followed Murray into the darkness of the old warehouse.

Boxed into an unused crate was the hanging body of another man. The MO was exactly the same as the thief’s. Jarod heard thunder and then the rain’s pattern sounded on the roof. He could see a rookie retching in a corner but his eyes moved back to the photo stuck to the dead man’s chest. It was the back of a photo. Printed in bold black letters was the wording, Time is running.

Murray had pulled gloves and was removing the photo. He turned it around and frowned. Jarod pulled on his own gloves before taking the photo from the detective. His heart sank. The photo was so familiar he would have recognized it even without the black shadow that covered more than three quarters of it. It was the picture he usually kept with him. A bout of shivering hit him and he pulled his jacket tight. He was unaware that he was staring at the photo, unaware of the way that Murray was looking at him.

All he saw was the smiling face of his mother.

“Jarod.” He turned towards Murray with the photo still stuck in his hand. “Does that photo mean anything to you?”

Jarod still saw his mother in front of his mind’s eyes. He was shell shocked, trying to decipher the overload of information. “Jarod?” That question seemed to wake him and he shook his head before finally focusing on the worried detective in front him.

“Sorry. I think I’m coming down with flu. You were saying.”

“Does the photo mean anything to you?”

Jarod shook his head as he bagged it. “No.” He turned away from Murray, making his way outside.

“Jarod, we need to talk.”

He heard the command behind the words and he understood Murray’s suspicions. Once he was outside, he turned his face into the rain, feeling the cold drops as they splashed on his skin.

“I’ll find a way of saving you.”
He promised silently as his tears dissolved with the wetness of the rain.

I’ll find a way.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like, press the button and review, otherwise press the button and review. ;-)