Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Thanks for all the reviews.

Chapter 7


Angel Manor


His dream was a disjointed nightmare of images that came and went with regular intervals. Voices floated just outside the scope of his understanding, the words intangible in the rushing blood that cascaded around his head. He floated upside down, nothing made sense anymore. He was aware of shrieks, ghosts and sickly feral grins that floated on dark air. The living signatures fed on his fear and panic, taking delight in his voiceless screams. His heart drummed to the beat outside, a rising crescendo that seemed unable to keep up. Panting, he tried to draw in oxygen, to keep the rising panic at bay. The whispers were menacing, stalking him, and encircling his trembling body slick with sweat. He hated their caress, the oily touch of the syllables tracing their way around him.

"You're mine….mine…"

He was not Jarod anymore; he was only a mere existence trying to survive the terrors of his mind.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight’s Inn, Blue water


“Come on, Sis. Be reasonable. It’s a police station and Jarod is not above using his position to ensure his escape. What the Centre doesn’t need at this stage is an external investigation into why a multi-national corporation wants to retrieve one of their agents.”

Miss Parker turned, her arms crossed in front of her chest. Lyle was unfazed by her glare, trying to reason with her.

“Why are you suddenly concerned about the image of the Centre, Lyle? I would have thought that the opportunity to catch Jarod will be foremost in your mind.”

He had to be careful, he was not about to underestimate his sister. She was hammering to close to the truth. Lyle tried another approach, inwardly cursing Parker for her stubbornness.

“It is, but not at the expense of possibly losing him due to impatience or getting arrested.”

“What do you suggest? Letting him go?”

Lyle started to relax. At least Parker was willing to listen. “No, but find out the reason why he has stayed. Then use that against him.”

Miss Parker turned her back on Lyle. She knew why Jarod had stayed but she was not yet prepared to divulge that information. She closed her eyes, the photo of Davey dancing in front of her eyes. Why did it have to be him, why not some unknown kid? She knew that even if Jarod’s capture was her priority, she was not about to let Angelo’s sacrifice become another statistic. Lyle was giving her a chance to dig some more, to find reasons not to catch Jarod until Davey was safe.

Dammit, why couldn’t things, for once, go her way?

“Fine.”

That one word was enough. Satisfied, Lyle smiled. He left her to her thoughts, making his way to his room. Things are going his way for once.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old warehouse district


His knife slit in, carving upwards. He took no pleasure from the killing. The screams had died down, the light fading behind the eyes of his victim.

“Phase two is ready.”


He arranged the body, displaying it for the men who are going to find it. He was meticulous; no thought was allowed to enter his mind.

“I will meet with the boy on Monday. Have him ready.”


He gathered the black bag, dropping his blood soaked gloves inside. He made one more round before pinning a card to the man’s chest.

“Tell me the first rule?”


Taking one last look around, he switched of the light, locking the door behind him.

“Emotions make you weak.”



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight’s Inn, Blue water


Lyle answered his phone, twisting the curtain to look outside.

"You should be safe for tomorrow. He will be returned on Monday."

"Parker has agreed to wait but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep her away from him. This isn't exactly the biggest town in the state."

"I don't care how you do it, Lyle. Just get her out of there without arousing further suspicion." His father snapped.

Lyle closed the phone, slamming his hand against the wall. He didn’t like the way this project was being handled. He knew that if any of them underestimated his sister or Jarod, there will be hell to pay and he will be the first one in their firing line. Maybe he should make sure that didn’t happen, just in case something went wrong. It was better to be prepared.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel Manor

Jarod stirred, turning his head restlessly. A hand was wiping at the beads of sweat that was trickling down the side of his face and neck. A soft voice was telling him that everything was all right. He tried to listen, to understand but the terror of his nightmares was still lingering in the depths of his mind. He wanted it all to go away.

“Jarod, what do you feel.”

“L…lost, afraid.” He turned in the glass box, watching Mr. Raines walk towards him. He didn’t like this sim. It was really scary, and he really didn’t like it when the lights were turned of.

“Concentrate, Jarod. Remember, we are trying to help a family get their little boy back.”

“I…it’s hard, Mr. Raines. I want Sydney.” Jarod shrank back against the glass wall when the menacing figure of Raines loomed angrily over him.

“Sydney is not here, you will do as you are told, Jarod.”

He nodded, turning his attention back to the sim. It was hard, and it made him lose himself. Each time it was a bit harder to come back to who he was in his inner self.


“Come on, Jarod. It’s time to wake up.”

He shifted against the hand, keeping his eyes closed. Tears were flowing down his cheeks, and he shook his head in denial. He started to drift away again.

“Please, Mr. Raines, stop. I…I can’t anymore, p…please…” his small voice faded, sobs racking his body. He was curled tight, his back pressed against the cold glass of the box. He hugged himself in an effort to get some warmth, drawing his knees closer to his upper body. He could hear Raines' footsteps coming closer, and a small whimper escaped. He burrowed further into the other personality, hoping that if he pretended well enough he wouldn't be punished.


"Jarod."

The hard command made him flinch. He was still stuck in his nightmare, still unable to wake. A hand slapped him through the face, hard. He remembers the same method used by Raines to get him to focus. He remembers his head whipping to the side as his hand came up to touch the burning left by the hand imprint.

Tears flowed freely down his cheeks, his small hand rubbing against the hurt. He nodded in agreement, preparing once again to do the sim.


Again the hard slap. This time he took note. He wasn’t eight anymore. He wasn't busy doing a sim. Slowly opening his eyes, he tried to bring his hand up to stop the descending hand he saw. He barely managed to turn his head, riding with the blow and then only understood why he couldn't touch his face or stop the blow from landing. His hands were strapped to a chair, an IV line snaking its way inside his body. He was dressed in a thin T-Shirt and shorts and it did nothing to trap his body heat. He shivered as the cold of the chair pressed into his flesh.

"Well, look who's awake."

His eyes met the cold blue gaze of Cox. He struggled against the straps that held his arms, aware of Cox watching him with interest.

"What are you giving me?"

Cox cast a quick sinister smile at Jarod. "Nothing that concerns you, Jarod."

Jarod tugged at the restraints on his wrists. They were angry and red from the abrasive material and his efforts to free himself. His body tingled from the fluids that were flowing freely into his body. The room seemed to be getting warmer and he suspected that it must be because of the drugs they were giving him.

"I'll never work for you." He growled, staring at Cox.

"That's where you are mistaken, Jarod. We will get exactly what we want from you."

"No." Jarod tugged again at the restraints, knowing it was futile. Cox motioned to someone outside his field of vision. Jarod was unprepared for the fear that slammed into him. Total, completely overwhelming fear. Being held by a sweeper next to Cox was his mother.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

Broots was about to turn away from his workstation when the search program he had been running, pinged. He had forgotten about it in the excitement of the last few hours. He opened the window, waiting for the parameters to load.

"Sydney, I found something on the maze."

Sydney turned from Angelo, making his way towards where the tech was seated. "What is it?"

"It's a schematic of one of the Centre levels. It looks like," Broots leaned forward, reading the small text down on the left hand side, "SL-23. Isn't that floor unused?"

"If my memory serves me correct, it is decommissioned as a storage area for files."

Broots held the piece of paper to the light, tracing the light lines burned into the paper. "Sydney, look. There's a line tracing a path through the maze."

Sydney took the paper and squinted at the watermark. Barely readable was the thin line with arrows marking a path. "Broots, print out that schematic." Sydney waited impatiently, grabbing the paper and then pulling his pen from his pocket. Squinting at the paper and then drawing the line he followed Jarod's directions. It was unbelievable. The path ended in what was marked as an old simulation room. He slowly rose, and then glanced at Broots. "Let's find out why this room holds significance for Jarod."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel Manor


Jarod stared wide-eyed at Cox and his mother. He had envisioned in his mind what he would do when he met his mother; none of it came close to the current scenario. The drugs made it difficult for him to concentrate on a single thought for too long. He couldn't think of a way out of this.

"I think you two have some things to discuss." Cox pushed his mother towards him, and then left. He heard the door close and then her soft hands were on his face. She wiped the sweat from his brow, and then gave him a kiss of his forehead. He leaned into it, not wanting to believe that the Centre had his mother in their hands.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"They haven't hurt me."

He forced a smile, lifting his head to look her in her eyes. He glanced at the sweeper that had been left and then back into her eyes. "How did they find you?" he questioned.

"I don't know. They must have been tracking me for a while before they caught up with me."

"This is all my fault. I'm sorry." Jarod said, tears starting to form. She wiped it away, and then held him so that he was forced to make eye contact.

"It's the Centre that’s responsible, not you. Be strong, Jarod."

He nodded. A warm flush was starting to spread throughout his body. Suddenly afraid that he didn't have long, he whispered, "Mom," she smiled with tears in her eyes, her hand sliding down his face, "I love you."

He felt his muscles relax, and he hyperventilated in an effort to stay awake. He fought as long as he could but in the end he succumbed to the sedative that entered his system. Cox entered the room, smiling at Jarod's mother. Taking out a penlight, he lifted one eyelid and checked the pretender's vitals.

"He's out."

"Good," Cynthia said as she slid the mask of her face, "It was getting damn uncomfortable in this getup." She studied the lax features of Jarod, noting the worry lines that had somehow formed in the past twenty minutes. "Do you think he'll do it?"

Cox smiled, stroking her cheek the same way she had Jarod's not five minutes ago. "Jarod will do anything for his mother."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan


Cain watched the black bag burn with all the evidence. He felt nothing inside for the man he had killed. It was just another minor player in the crime world, a nobody that would not be missed. He smirked, wondering why Raines was playing this game. He had never asked questions or reasons behind his mentor's actions, he had only obeyed. The boy asked questions. Constantly. And it was making him question. Turning away from the furnace, he took the steps towards the first floor and opened the door that lead to Davey's room. He watched the boy sleep, marveling at the innocence on his face. He knew what Raines was capable of, hell, he had lived through it. He thought about the warm feeling he was starting to develop for the boy. He didn't want to give Davey to Raines. He debated his rebellious thoughts, extorting the pros and cons of obeying and disobeying his mentor. Undecided, he closed the door gently on the sleeping boy and went to where the work room had been set up.

He still had a whole day to make a final decision.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

Broots shined the flashlight around the old cabinets that lined the walls. "Don't you think we should have stayed at the tech room? What if Raines called."

"I don't think Raines is too worried about us, Broots." Their flashlights found the door to the simlab, "He wanted to prevent us from leaving and as long as we don't try and do that, we'll be fine."

Sydney tried the door and wasn't surprised to find that it failed to open. "It looks like it was sealed shut." Broots commented, his flashlight following the lines along the edges. Sydney nodded and then looked around for a way to gain entry. "Help me, maybe if we push hard enough our weight can open it."

Leaning into the door, Sydney pushed down on the handle, and with a loud creak the door swung open. Dust settled slowly around them, making Broots gag and sneeze. They entered the old room.

It looked like it had not changed since the last sim had been performed there. Situated in the centre of the room was a glass box. The lid was shoved off, resting against the side of the box. A canvas was spread over one wall; the kind normally used to project an image against, except this one was black. Sydney eyed the projector that hangs from the wall. He wondered what had happened here, why the room had not been used.

“Sydney,” Broots whispered loudly from where he stood against the back wall. Sydney made his way to where Broots was. “I found an old recorder.”

“How soon before we can see what’s on it?”

“I don’t know, I have to convert it first before I can see if any data survived. It could be twenty four hours.”

“Do it. I’ll be in my office.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight’s Inn, Blue water


Lyle was barely dressed in his pants when his sister barged into his room. Ignoring his state of undress, she flung her phone at him. He caught it just in time.

"Explain to me why the hell I can't get through to the Centre?"

Lyle cleared his throat, and placed the cell phone on the side table. "And a good morning to you too, Parker."

Miss Parker narrowed her gaze, glaring at her brother. "Lyle…" she growled, waiting for an answer.

"Apparently there was some sort of data leak or something and Raines had the Centre initiate a lockdown."

"What," stepping closer to Lyle, she leaned into his personal space, "Why wasn't I informed."

Lyle took a step back, meeting her gaze unflinchingly. "I was only informed myself this morning." He grabbed his shirt, and started to slip a hand through one of the sleeves, "Dad phoned me to ask about our progress and he told me about it in the course of our conversation."

"Why don't I believe you?"

"Fine," he threw her phone at her, "Phone him yourself." Tucking the rest of his shirt in his pants, he eyed himself in the mirror, watching Miss Parker's reflection. She growled in frustration and then dropped the phone in her pocket. Inwardly satisfied at the handling of his sister, he turned and walked towards the door. "Let's have some breakfast, maybe then you won't be so irritable."

Following her brother, she slammed his door shut, muttering under her breath, "Don't bet on it."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel Manor


A bucket of water brought him back to consciousness. Gasping in the wake of the cold water, he shook his head. The water dripped from his body, pooling at his feet. He was still seated in the chair, the IV line still attached to his arm. Cox was standing to one side with the same sinister smile on his face.

“Where’s my mother?” he growled, ignoring the headache that rested just behind his eyes.

“Safe, I assure you.” The suave voice rolled.

“Don’t hurt her, or so help me, Cox, I’ll...”

“You’ll what, Jarod? Kill me. Are you telling me you are willing to kill for the safety of your mother?”

Even thought his mind was hazy from the drugs Jarod could still see where this was going. He was helpless to protect his mother, to protect even himself. Cox can do what he wants and there will not be one thing he can do to stop it. He dropped his head in defeat and whispered, “What do you want me to do?”

Cox motioned to a sweeper that placed a tray on Jarod’s lap. He then released one of Jarod’s arms. “You do understand that your mother will suffer the consequences if you remove your IV line.” Jarod nodded at Cox’s warning, flexing his hand to get some of the blood-flow back. A folder was placed on the tray.

“Read it, and then we’ll talk.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan

“I’m finished.”

Davey smiled a big toothy grin. His eyes shone with delight at the empire state building he had drawn. Running towards where Cain sat by the table, he showed it with enthusiasm to the older man.

“Good Davey.”

Taking the picture, he put it to one side on the table. Picking up the boy, he placed him in the chair next to him.

“Davey, do you remember Mr. Raines?”

The boy nodded, his demeanor more subdued. Turning his light blue gaze from Cain, he looked at his hanging feet. “He hurt me last time.”

“He is coming tomorrow and I want you to be on your best behavior.”

Davey’s eyes grew bigger. He jumped from the chair, ignoring Cain’s look of surprise. “No, you’re my friend. I don’t want to see Mr. Raines.”

Cain watched in surprise as Davey ran off. He had not expected that reaction. He had thought that Davey would obey without question. He rose and went after the boy, finding him in his room, crying.

“Davey.” He purposefully kept his voice stern. “You will behave.”

He watched the boy shake his head, burrowing it further into his pillow. Not knowing what to do, he stepped closer until he stood by the bed. He sat down next to the sobbing body, his own eyes dark and distant.

He remembers crying once.


“Davey?” He spoke softly. The boy turned, his eyelashes wet from the tears he had shed. “I promise that I will not let him hurt you. If you behave, he will not hurt you.” The boy nodded, climbing into his lap and leaning against him. He wasn’t sure what to do, so he held him, ignoring the small voice inside him asking him whether he would really stop his mentor from doing anything to the child.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel Manor

“You’re insane.” Jarod said as he closed the file. “How do you expect to get away with this?”

The sweeper took the file and reattached Jarod’s hand to the chair.

“We already have.”

Jarod knew he had no choice. “When?”

Cox leaned back in his chair. “A week. Is it doable?”

Jarod calculated, his mind sharp after what he had just read despite the continuing flow of the drugs.

“Maybe. I don’t know. There are too many variables.”

“For your mother’s sake, I hope you succeed.”

Jarod closed his eyes, not wanting to see Cox’s triumphant grin. “What happens next?”

“You’ll be returned to your apartment. Continue your search for the boy. Someone will contact you with the details in the near future. The password is Genus.” Cox said, rising. “Be warned Jarod. You are watched constantly. If you try in any way to find out where we are keeping your mother or try in any way to orchestrate a rescue she will be killed and I will make sure that her head is delivered to you.”

Jarod nodded, swallowing the bile that was starting to rise. Cox stepped closer, a syringe in his hand. Jarod’s world went black as the sedative flowed into his bloodstream.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reviews make me write faster…