Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Chapter 6

The Centre


Broots paced nervously in front of the racks of servers, an envelope clutched in his left hand. He thought about telling Sydney about Miss Parker’s abrupt departure but dismissed the idea as soon as it surfaced. There was no way he was going to incur Miss Parker’s wrath for disobeying the order. He had so far managed to avoid Sydney, making excuses that were starting to sound weak even in his own ears. He glanced at the envelope he held, half hoping that if he ignored it enough it would disappear. He had never felt more trapped in his entire life. Whatever he did from the point, someone would suffer. If he made the wrong choice, people he cared about could get hurt.

In the end the decision came easy, because of his respect for Miss Parker and his concern for her wellbeing. It had taken him two hours to decide, but he did it in the end. He went in search of Sydney.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue water airport


Jarod brought the vehicle to a stop in front of the office that lead to the small airfield. He hired a small Cessna for his round trip to NuGenesis. He had to slip out of the police station to avoid a change meeting with Murray. He did not want the other to know about his out-of-state “business” trip he was undertaking. He entered the building and signed for the plane. If all went well, he should be back this time tomorrow and no-one will be any wiser. Or so he hoped.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre


“When did this arrive?” he asked looking at the tech.

“Just after she had left. I was going to leave it on her desk but it sort of slipped and the photos fell out and…” trailing of, he glanced at the black and white images of them. It had been taken when they had left the building where Jarod’s apartment had been.

“I think we should contact Miss Parker.”

Sydney reached for the phone, dialing her cell phone. He frowned when no one answered. He entered the number of the phone on the jet, and felt relieved when the normal, irritated greeting resounded in his ear.

“Miss Parker, it’s Sydney. There is something you should know. Someone has been taking photographs of us at Jarod’s old apartment.”

Sydney held the phone to his ear. Silence greeted his revelation, and he asked, “Parker?”

“I don’t have time for this, Sydney. Have them analyzed by Cousin Ed.”

“You might be in danger, Parker. We have no idea who took the photo’s or why.”

He could only sigh at her stubbornness, when she hung up, her last statement still hanging in the air.

“I’m a big girl, Syd. I can take care of myself.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

Lyle slid behind the wheel of his convertible with a grin. It had been a productive day and things are going well. As he threw the car in reverse his cell phone rang. He brought the car to a halt, glancing at the number. Deciding that he could not afford to ignore the call, he answered it.

"Where are you?"

"In the parking lot. I'm on my way home."

"No, you're not. Your sister has decided to go for another visit to Jarod's previous hometown."

Lyle swore, forgetting momentarily who he was talking to. Why did his sister always manage to interfere when she is least expected.

"Why did she go back?"

"All I know is that Broots interrupted us while we were on our way to lunch. I couldn’t very well stop her from going." His father snapped, "I want you there to make sure she doesn't interfere with the project. She is to have no contact with Jarod, am I clear?"

"Fine," he said, starting the engine, "I'll take care of it. I should catch up to her before she can do any damage."

He closed the connection, his anger simmering. He knew what the stakes were and he wasn't prepared to put his neck on the line because his sister suddenly had a vision of catching Jarod on her own.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre


Broots stared at Angelo when Sydney brought the empath into the lab. The photos were spread out on the table, waiting for the man-child to examine them.

"Angelo, I need you to empath these photo's for me. Tell me about the person who sent them."

Sydney's voice was soft, as he guided Angelo to the table. He stood back, giving the empath space to work. Angelo began sifting through the photo's, his hand lingering on one of the images that showed Miss Parker in profile, her gaze staring at the unknown person who had taken it. He hunched into a small ball by the table, clutching the photo to his chest. His eyes were closed, as he whispered, "Lost."

Sydney looked at Broots, stepping towards Angelo with a worried expression on his face.

"Angelo, who is lost," sitting down by Angelo, he asked, "Is it Miss Parker?"

Angelo shook his head, continuing his whispered word. He hugged himself, burying his head into his knees.

"Angelo, is it the person who took the photo's"

The empath nodded, and then turned towards Sydney. "Lost, no-one, Lost, anger, Lost…"

Sydney frowned, trying to make sense of the scrambled words. "Angelo, is Miss Parker in danger?"

The empath ignored him, continuing in his litany, lost in the feelings that flowed from the photos. Sydney rose, turning towards Broots. "Get us a flight to Detroit and a Centre helicopter to take us to Blue water."

He turned back towards the empath, consoling the man-child with a rub on his back, slowly taking the photo out of his grip.

"Sydney, uh, Lyle has already booked the Centre helicopter. We have to wait…" Broots stopped and picked up the ringing phone that had interrupted him.

"M…Mr. Raines," he listened for a few seconds before he replaced the handset. He swallowed when he gaze met Sydney's.

"A security breach has been reported and the Centre has initiated full lock-down protocol."

Sydney closed his eyes, his hands gripping the photo tightly. He realized that Raines wanted to prevent them from going after Parker, and this manufactured excuse was one way of making sure they couldn't leave Blue Cove.

"Broots, I want you to run a Centre search on all phone calls made to Lyle today." He commanded, helping Angelo to his feet, "If Miss Parker is walking into a trap, I want to know about it."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue water Courthouse


Miss Parker entered the imposing building with a confident stride, making her way directly towards the security desk. A young guard sat behind the desk, and she smiled with confidence. Taking Jarod's photo from her breast pocket, she laid it in front of his goggling eyes. She leaned over the desk, and pointed at the photo, bringing his eyes towards the image.

"I wonder if you could help me. Jarod is a friend of mine and I haven't seen him in a while. He had told me to meet him here but my flight was late and …"

They guard swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing noticeably. He stammered when he looked at the picture, trying to concentrate on anything but the woman that was leaning over his desk.

"H…he is h…helping the police in a l…local kidnapping case.

She graced the guard with another provocative smile, "Can you tell me where I can find him?"

"O…oh, uhm, h…his got an office at the police station. You c…could try t…there."

She thanked him, taking the photo and made her way outside to where Sam was waiting by the car. "Police station. And step on it, Sam. I feel lucky today."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue water Police station


She clipped the visitor's pass onto her jacket, following the officer through the crowed room towards Jarod's temporary office. The officer knocked and when no-one answered, opened the door tentatively, calling Jarod's name. The office was empty. She felt disappointment, but decided that Jarod might be somewhere else in the building. She turned to the officer, telling him that she'll wait for him.

Her gaze was drawn towards the whiteboard that had been set up. Stepping closer, she reached out and swore. Davey's photo was smiling back at her. She remembered Angelo's sacrifice and the last time she had seen the boy, Jarod running wildly for the Jet with the boy in his arms. From the brief notes she learned quickly that Davey had been kidnapped and his parents murdered. Pinching her nose, she made her way towards the desk.

Why can it never be easy?

She looked up when the door opened. It was the officer who had escorted her inside the building.

"Miss Parker, his not in the building. I'm sorry, but regulations don't allow me to leave you here. You need to come back another time."

She smiled, nodding her head. She made her way outside, returned the visitor's card before exiting. She was on her way towards the car when a hand grabbed her arm. Twisting around, she looked into the eyes of the last person she had expected to find in this town.

"Hello, Sis."

Her gaze narrowed and she angrily jerked her arm out of Lyle's grip. "What are you doing here?"

"Dad wanted to make sure you had some backup."

She sneered, "I have Sam. Go home, I don't need you."

"No can do, Parker," Lyle smirked, his hand's coming up in mock surrender, "Dad's orders."

Her eyes narrowed, "Fine, but stay out of my way," she turned and walked towards the car, "Jarod is here and I plan on taking him home." Lyle balled his hand into a fist, telling himself that this was for the greater good. Releasing the tension, he followed his sister.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NuGenesis, Georgia

Jarod shifted behind the shrub that concealed him. Last time had been so much easier to enter the building, but then he had had a security pass and was recognized as one of the employees. Now he was an intruder, one that was looking for a way in without being caught. Satisfied that he was unobserved, he rushed towards the back entrance used by the transport company to pick up the medical-waste bins.

He made his way cautiously down the empty hall towards the Records Lab. Checking one last time to make sure he's alone; he entered the small side room. He quickly gained access to the records, inputting the id he copied from the file. A small box appeared indicating that it was searching the records. Tapping his fingers against the desk, he waited impatiently for the information he had requested. Five minutes dragged out and he was getting worried. The longer he stayed, the greater the chance that he would get caught. He sighed with relieve when the box disappeared. Davey's name flashed back at him, confirming his suspicions. The Centre had a hand in the boy's disappearance. Copying the data to a disc, he placed it in his side pocket. He made his way hurriedly down the hall, aware that the time he had spent searching had been much longer than he had anticipated.

He entered the lobby, about to make his way towards the back exit when the subtle click of a gun being cocked sounded abominably loud in the surrounding stillness. He froze, his stomach clenching tightly. She stepped into view from the shadows next to the wall, the 9mm held expertly in her hand.

"We meet again, Jarod."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre


Still confined to the tech lab, Broots had managed to hack his way into the phone archives. Angelo was sitting quietly against the back wall, ignoring them. He opened Lyle's cell phone archive. Frowning, he went back and opened Lyle's office phone.

"Sydney, you should see this."

The older man moved from the table, to stand behind the tech. He leaned forward, gazing at the screen over the other man's shoulder.

"Are you sure you have the right folder?

Broots nodded, "It's all empty. Someone had deleted all the phone records of Mr. Parker's, Lyle's and Mr. Raines' logs. What do you think it means?"

Sydney looked at Broots, his hand underneath his chin. "That they don't want records kept that might be used against them by the Tower. Broots, run a search on Miss Parker and find out if any directive had been issued against her."

"Syd, you don't think that Mr. Parker would, you know…"

"No, but the photo's, Lyle's departure and Raines' phony security breach is too much of a coincidence for me to accept it as random chance. We need to find out why the Centre wants us out of the way."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NuGenesis, Georgia


He graced her with a smile, trying to ignore the fear starting to spread through his limbs.

"Dr deWitt, or should I call you Cynthia. Still in business, I see."

She smiled back, her eyes ice that appraised him. The gun never wavered as she took out a cell phone. She must have programmed the number for she hit the dial button without taking her eyes of him.

"He's here."

She listened briefly to whoever was on the other side, then closed the phone and slipped it back into her jacket pocket. Jarod didn't know what increased the hollow feeling in his stomach more, the fact that he had been expected or that the Centre knew where he was.

"Put this on." She said as she tossed him a set of handcuffs. He did as he was told without comment, the snap when the handcuff closed loud in the tense atmosphere.

"I'm a good shot; if you try to escape I will shoot." She held his gaze, waiting for him to nod. "Let's go."

She stepped to one side, her gun following him as he stepped very cautiously past her. She moved into his body, her gun jabbing against his ribs. He stepped outside, noticing that a slight drizzle had started while he had been inside. He followed her directions, making his way towards the car park. He noticed the all too familiar black town-car, despair starting to filter through. She increased her grip, her gun pressing harder, silently warning him not to run.

They stopped next to the car and she removed the gun from his ribs. He turned around slowly. Something flashed silver and he caught it just in time. It was car keys.

"Open it."

He entered the key into its slot, and wavered. He had to at least try although he knew it would probably be futile. She had long ago made her bed with the Centre. "Don't do this." He said, searching for any kind of compassion in her eyes, and finding none.

"Now," she said emotionlessly, gesturing with her gun. He turned the key, listening to the click of the lock as the tumblers opened. She waited for him to ease into the driver's seat before taking the back seat. Another set of keys landed in his lap. He was aware of the gun pointed at him, as she spoke over his shoulder. "Open your right bracelet, and attach it to the steering wheel." He complied, giving her back the keys when she asked for it. "Start the car."

With the motor running, he watched the drizzle run small rivulets down the front window. "Where are we going?"

"Head for the I-20."

He swallowed, shifted out of park and pulled away from the parking spot. He glanced at her in the rear view mirror. "Are we going anywhere specific?" She shifted against the backseat, the shadows playing across her face, her eyes glinting white in the darkness. He knew the gun was there, part of the darker shadows.

"You don't need to know, for now. Just drive."

Very few cars were on the road, their brake lights appearing like red eyes in the shimmering haze that spread with the rain. He scanned the road ahead, hoping for a wandering patrol car. He spotted one turning off at the traffic lights up ahead, plans starting to take form. He heard her move behind him and then her arm encircled his neck and the 9mm pressed against his temple. "Don't even think about it."

He didn't dare nod, not with her that close. He watched the lights turn green and the patrol car turn right, unaware of the situation behind them. She eased up and retreated into the backseat and he could breathe again. The sign for the interstate appeared like a ghostly apparition in the glow of the car lights and he took the on-ramp. He pressed his foot down on the gas, easing the needle on the speedometer higher.

“Slow down.”

The gun was back, pressed against the side of his neck. She waited till the needle dropped to normal speed before returning to her seat. He glanced in the rearview mirror again and this time her eyes met his. They were cold and without emotion. Swallowing, he shifted his gaze back to the road, concentrating on the steady movement of the wipers and the beat of the rain on the rooftop. All Jarod could think about was that he was in trouble. Big trouble.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan

Cain put the sleepy boy in the bed, tucking the bedding around him. He stopped when Davey spoke in a tired voice, "Are you alone?"

He frowned, wondering at the question. He met Davey's gaze, "What do you mean?" Davey snuggled further under the warm covers, and then asked softly, "Where's your family?"

Cain thought about it. He never had a family. He had a mentor, but even with the knowledge he had he knew it was not the same. What he had been told it that his family had died and he had been lucky to have been taken in.

"My family died a long time ago."

"Then you are alone."

Cain stared at the wall, trying to decipher his thoughts and emotions that were conjured by the statement the boy had made. If having no family meant you were alone, did it matter? An incessant tugging on his shirt drew his attention back to Davey.

"You can be my friend, then you won't be alone anymore."

He looked at Davey, considering the option. The boy's gaze was serious, waiting for an answer. He nodded, hoping that it would satisfy the boy enough to sleep. Davey smiled, and then wriggled into a sitting position. He held out a small hand after spitting on it, and said, "Then we make an oath, friends forever." He looked at the hand, thinking about it. Maybe having a friend could be a good thing. He never been told he wasn't allowed to have one. Spitting on his hand, he took the little one in his and shook on friendship. This was something that his mentor didn't need to know. He will not tell unless specifically asked. He tugged Davey in again, waiting till the boy was asleep before he left to report.

Everything except friendship.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Go left.” The words were spoken softly, the command inherent. His nightmare was getting worse. He was now certain about where they going.
“Angel Manor?” Jarod asked, turning onto the off-ramp.

“You are a smart boy.”

He ignored her, trying to think of solutions to his current predicament. The car sped towards the manor, closer to the Centre and a place he definitely did not want to be. The house appeared ghostly in the falling rain, coming into view when he entered the driveway. He slowed down, the wheels crunching on the gravel. He came to a stop besides the angel statue, shutting down the engine. He closed his eyes, leaning his head against the headrest, hoping that it was one long nightmare.

“What happens now?” he asked, hearing her move behind him. A sharp prick made him jerk forward, his hand reaching for his neck. He turned, frowning at her in confusion. He noticed the syringe, and realization dawned on him. He tried to focus, ignore the numbing of muscles. His vision darkened, the edges graying until all he could see was her smile while she brought a phone to her ear. The words came through distorted, just barely distinguishable.

“He’s ready.”

Then nothing at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TBC

So what did you think?