Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Chapter 5

Miss Parker's home


Mumbling in annoyance, she stretched out her hand.

"What!"

"Miss me?"

"Jarod….why am I not surprised, it's after all two a.m." she tiredly retorted as she eyed her blinking alarm clock.

"You're getting old, Miss Parker," he grinned, "Why, in your youth…"

"What do you want, Jarod." she interjected, not in the mood for his jest.

"Tell me, Miss Parker. How is dear old dad?"

"He wants you back home."

"Sorry, you know me, flew the hatch and all that." Moving from his vantage point, he slipped down an embankment.

"He's left your room as it is. I'm sure he wouldn't mind your return." She smiled.

"Have you figured it out yet?"

Her eyes narrowed and she gripped the phone tighter. "What?"

"Maybe you should ask Broots next time you see him. Night night, Miss Parker."

She was about to put the phone down when one last remark made her swear.

"Don't let the bed bugs bite…"


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

Jarod slipped through the doorway, holding his breath. Two sweepers made their way down the hallway, occasionally testing doors. Slowly turning the key until it locked him in; he waited for them to move past. Satisfied that they were ignorant to his presence, he moved further into the depths of the office.

He broke into the file cabinet, quickly ruffling through the folders. Nothing. Moving from the file cabinet, he took a seat at the desk. Raines had his files password-protected. He took a disc out of his pocket, glancing at the closed door. It should be another forty minutes before the sweepers make another round. Running commands, he broke into the file system. Scanning the files, he chose a folder marked projects. He was three quarters down and running out of time when he noticed another protected file. Smiling slightly, he ran his decryption program. With five minutes left, he copied the folder and sent it to a protected e-mail account he had set up for this purpose. Even if the Centre managed to trace him that far, they will never be able to get any useful information from it. He deleted all traces that he had been there, careful to leave everything as he had found it. It took him another twenty minutes before he was outside, cautiously making his way towards where he had parked his car. He was impatient to get a look at the file, ignoring the feeling that somehow this had been too easy.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

The grainy black and white images focused on the pretender. Zooming in, it froze on Jarod's face when he glanced inadvertently at the camera that had been hidden in the corner.

"He took the bait?"

Cox's suave voice came through with a hint of gloating. Standing in front of the screen, he gave a cold smile that was answered in turn by Raines.

"Project…Genus is… underway."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre


Her stiletto heels clacked across the floor towards Broots' domain. Striding into the tech room, she glared at the balding man.

"M…Miss Parker," he stammered, "w…what's wrong?"

"Jarod, you moron. According to him you have some information that I want."

Clearing his throat, he pulled a printout from his desk and gave it to her.

"It's an analysis on the piece of paper that Sydney gave me. It is homemade and what's really cool is that Jarod had added his own watermark. If…if you hold it up to the light you can see it."

Holding the piece of paper against the light, she squinted as she tried to make out the watery lines that decorated the page.

"What is it, Broots," she snapped, glaring at the other man.

"Um, Miss Parker, It's a maze."

"Excuse me."

"You know, start at point A and then…"

"Broots, I don't want Merriam-Webster's, I want to know what it means to the Centre." She interjected angrily, jabbing the paper at the tech.

"Jarod has left us a puzzle he wants us to solve."

"And how does that help me catch him, Syd." Turning to the older man that had entered, she crossed her arms in front of her, as she waited for an answer.

"Parker, this might be important, otherwise he wouldn't have left it."

Miss Parker closed the space between them. She leaned into Sydney, her hand pushing the paper into his chest.

"So Jarod leads us down another garden path. All right, Sydney, I'll bite."

Leaving the older man clutching the paper, she commanded Broots to find the maze before stalking out of the room with an angry flourish.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jarod's apartment

Pushing the plate with the doughnut to one side, Jarod loaded the file he had sent to himself. His eyes were grainy from lack of sleep but he ignored the burning feeling. After his experience last night he knew that the Centre had a hand in Davey's abduction. The boy must have been taken to a temporary safe house till he was ready to be received at the Centre. Opening the folder, he pushed the fatigue to the background, focusing on the data that streamed past his eyes.

It took him a moment to realize that the pounding in his head came from the door. Lifting his head, he remembered shutting his eyes for a brief moment. He must have fallen asleep. Wiping his hands across his eyes, he tried to focus on what had woken him.

"Agent Kennet."

The light timber of Murray finally entered the haze that seemed to have settled over him. Rising, he opened the door on Murray, who had his hand raised for another knock. Mumbling for the other to enter, he made his way to the bathroom. He felt more refreshed after he had splashed some cold water on his face. With a towel wrapped around his neck, he re-entered the living room to see Murray at his small desk.

"Something I could help you with?"

The other turned from his casual glance at the laptop screen. Eying the small apartment and taking note of the covers on the bed.

"Had a long night?"

Jarod ignored the question. Rising to his full length, he spoke casually, "My private life is precisely that. Private."

Murray didn't even look apologetic. Crossing the room, he seated himself on Jarod's bed. Satisfied, he took out an envelope and dropped it on the bed next to him.

"Why is this investigation so personal to you?"

Jarod took the chair by his desk, turning it and seating himself on it. Leaning his arms on the backrest, he ignored his increasing heartbeat.

"What makes you think that?"

"Come now, Jarod. I wasn't born yesterday. All I want is the truth."

Running the scenarios through his head, he tried to find the best solution to the inquisitive detective. The use of his forename suggested that the other wanted to keep this casual, hoping to put him at ease. He decided to part with some truth, hopefully it will be enough.

"I knew the family. I know their son. They were friends."

"Do you have any enemies?"

Jarod frowned at the question, wondering what was going on. There was a reason that Murray had came, not just to question him on his relationship with the Brewster's.

"You should know by now that our line of work always leaves us with enemies."

Murray scrutinized him, holding his gaze. Nodding in answer to some internal question, he picked up the envelope and handed it to Jarod.

"This was addressed to you. Our scanners picked up some powder residue and we had to open it. I believe that whoever sent it knew that. He had placed talcum powder inside with a photo and a short memo. We have already dusted it and checked for fingerprints. It's clean."

A fist settled in his stomach. Gingerly opening the envelope, he took out the photo. Stuck to the back was a yellow post-it. In bold letters were scribed two words. Tick tock. He turned the photo over and frowned. It was a shadow of a man, taken against the backdrop of glass.

"This doesn’t make sense."

His confusion was genuine. Why would the Centre risk exposure to the authorities just to catch him. He had barely started on the folder he had downloaded before sleep overtook him.

"Have you received any phone calls regarding the boy?"

Shaking his head, he turned the photo over, looking at the two words. The words obviously related to time. Seconds ticking off until what?

"Jarod, I think it's best if you come in to the station. If the kidnapper calls we'll have a way of tracking him."

Jarod decided to follow the Murray's directive. He doubted that the other would call. The photo was sent for him to decipher and until then he would receive no further clues. That much he understood. Whoever this person was, he was intelligent and ruthless. A grim smile showed briefly when he remembered the thief they had found hanging from the ceiling. Definitely ruthless. The one question that continued to burn in his mind and had him confused was how the Centre fitted in all of this. Hopefully he'll have some time at the station to read through Raines' project and find an answer.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan


Davey sat at the kitchen table, his legs swinging on the chair. His eyes followed Cain as he prepared breakfast. He was hungry and couldn’t wait. He had asked for a smiley breakfast and he had to explain in great detail how to make one. He couldn’t believe that his new teacher had never heard of a smiley breakfast. The smell made his mouth water and his tummy rumble but he sat quietly. His only rebellion his swinging legs.

"Davey, do you remember what we are going to do after breakfast."

His light blue gaze met his teacher and he nodded.

"Tell me."

"We are going to do lessons till lunch time."

"What are you not allowed to do when we are busy with your lessons?"

More subdued, he looked at his swinging feet. He had learned that lesson yesterday, painfully.

"Play."

"Good, Davey. Now eat your breakfast."

His smile brightened when the plate was pushed in front of him. Staring back at him was a smiley sausage and two egg eyes with a piece of toast for the nose. Tears started to form when he remembered his mom making him his favorite breakfast on Saturdays. Glancing up quickly, he wiped the tears away before Cain could see it. He wished more than ever to see his parents again.

Maybe if he wished hard enough it will come true.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police station, Blue water

Jarod gazed at the white board that had been set up in his office. The crime photos of Mr. and Mrs. Brewster had been pasted in the top left hand corner. Next to their photos was a school photo of a smiling Davey. It was obvious from the photo that he was a happy. Underneath each one a brief summary had been written that described them. A blown-up photo of the one that had been sent to him was pasted on the right hand side with the words that had been put on the back. Questions had been added underneath during their brain storming session a little earlier. He was now left alone for the first time in two hours. He still hadn't had a chance to look at Raines' file. Wondering whether he should do it now, he eyed the photo and the questions underneath.

Where had the photo been taken, who took it, what it the meaning behind it? All of them empty, all non-answers to the question that was foremost in his mind. Why? Turning his chair, he opened his laptop, his mouse pointer hovering over the file that he had copied. Double clicking, the folder sprung open. The first page was a Centre memo, dated a few months ago. The only data on the memo was a start date of three days ago and Mr. Parker's signature that its Centre approved. The date intrigued him; it was the same date as when the Brewster's were killed. He flipped through the next few pages. It was a medical data on one particular individual. The patient's name was a five digit number, no indication of who it could be. Frowning, he wondered if there was another red file that he had not been aware of. He glanced at the blood type. It was empty; no information had been added to it. Mulling that tidbit over in his mind, he skipped the rest. The page after the medical record was another Centre memo dated for yesterday. Only four words were typed on it and again Mr. Parker's signature had signed it off.

It's progressing as planned.


Moving back to the medical file, he scrutinized it more fully. The medical file could be Davey's. He could learn nothing else from the file. Copying the patient id, he remembered Neo-Genesis. All cases had been identified by a coded number to protect the privacy of patients. Turning his pen around his fingers, he looked at the coded number. It would be dangerous but he could see no other option left open to him. He would have to pay a visit to the fertility clinic in the hope that he would find a name for the medical file. He had no other choice.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

"Angel, are you ready?"

Smiling, she walked up to her father, giving him a quick hug and kiss. "Always, daddy. Where are we going?"

Helping his daughter into her coat, he opened the door for her. "I thought Luigi's might be a nice change of scenery."

"That sounds good."

They started down the hallway when Broots came running towards them. Groaning inwardly, Miss Parker threw daggers at the other as he came to a halt in front of them. Turning to her father, she excused herself, grabbing the hapless tech and pushing him against the wall. Broots faltered under her gaze for a few seconds before clearing his throat.

"Uh, Miss Parker, we found Jarod."

Groaning, she inwardly swore. Why did Jarod always manage to spoil her day?

"Coming, Angel."

She closed her eyes for a brief moment before she turned to her father. "We have a hit on a possible location for Jarod, daddy."

"That's good news. We'll have to do this another time then. Jarod is after all your first priority."

Disappointment filled her briefly before her anger for Jarod burned it clear. Mumbling a 'yes daddy' she watched her father leave. Pulling Broots into her office, she made her way straight towards her drink cabinet.

"This better be worth it, Broots or so help me..."

"Sorry about your father, Miss Parker."

"Broots," she growled warningly, taking a sip of her scotch.

"Someone is running search parameters using a photo of Jarod and the name John Doe on the internet."

Grabbing the photo from his grip, she glanced at the black and white security image. Jarod was walking out of a building, a cell phone pressed against his ear. Down in the bottom right hand corner was yesterday's date and time.

"Where was this taken?"

"Blue water Courthouse."

Her anger radiated from her in almost visible waves. Jarod had been right under their noses all the time they had been there. She picked up her phone, dialed a number.

“Sam, we’re leaving. Meet me in the lobby.”

Broots opened the door and she stopped him with a harsh, “Where do you think you’re going?” He looked confused, eyeing the overnight bag she retrieved from her closet.

“To, uh, tell Sydney and get my things…”he trailed of, unsure of what to expect. He had seen Miss Parker angry and he was convinced that what he was seeing now was one of those few times.

“You have work to do, or have you forgotten.”

He understood the meaning, nodding his head. Still hesitant, he asked timidly, “What about Sydney?”

She smiled briefly, grabbing his arm and leaned in. “You can tell Sydney. Tomorrow,” She lifted an eyebrow, her gaze boring into his. She waited till Broots agreed before letting go. Slamming the door shut she made her way towards the lobby.

Jarod will not make a fool of her again.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reviews are greatly appreciated, leaving the writer drifting among clouds for days on end while thinking on plot points to dazzle all… ;-) (Ok, maybe a bit melodramatic but reviews are welcome, ALWAYS.)