Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Thank you so much for the reviews. Almost done. ;-p

Chapter 14

The docks, Blue water

For perhaps ten shocked, incredulous seconds Jarod let the words sank in as he slowly dropped his arm from the boy’s shoulders. His mouth opened and closed before he managed to croak a question, “My brother?”

“As far as I know you’re not deaf, Jarod.”

Jarod shifted, looking into the equally uncomprehending eyes of the boy standing next to him. He wiped his hands on his pants, before turning back on the doctor.

“You’re lying.”

Raines stood over them with a strange expressionless gaze that was more disturbing than any display of animosity could ever have been. “What reason would I have for lying?”

Jarod didn’t reply. The question to him was rhetoric. He had been under the man’s hands enough times to know that Raines never gave any information without reason. Whether that information was true or not, there was always an ulterior motive behind it.

“You wanted a family, didn’t you, Jarod?” Raines indicated the boy, “Well; now you have one.”

“I…don’t understand.”

“What is there to understand, Jarod? He shares your DNA. That is enough, isn’t it?”

Still reeling from the information he had received, he missed the shift in Raines’ eyes. He looked up surprised when he felt a prick on his arm to see the doctor return a syringe to his pocket.

“No…”

As his eyes glazed over he wondered if Sydney knew and how he was going to broach the subject without getting into any more trouble.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police station, Blue water

There was no more space on the table. Murray had his nose deep into one of the folders when Bobby entered the room with another pile of files. He plopped them down by a table leg and sneezed when a cloud of dust was dislodged from the pile.

“Got anything?”

“So far all I read is too circumstantial. Nothing concrete that could possibly survive a good lawyer.”

They both turned when the door to the room opened and a fresh faced kid entered. He handed Murray a piece of paper before closing the door behind him. As Murray read, his interest rose. Not able to contain his curiosity any longer, Bobby walked over and stood behind the older man and read the information from behind him.

When Murray was finished, he looked up and smiled.

“I think it’s time we went for a ride.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Center

Sydney and Broots were seated by the tech’s table on the opposite side of the door where the two sweepers stood silently guard. Sydney had once moved over to the door, only to have one shift purposefully in front of it with a warning glance at the psychiatrist. Sydney had received the warning loud and clear. Don’t try and escape or else…

A soft knock drew his attention towards the air vent that was tucked away in the corner, out of sight of the sweepers. His gaze met the blue ones of Angelo and he smiled. He nudged Broots and indicated to the tech where the man-child was. Broots glanced worriedly at the two sweepers who returned his stare stoically. Sydney rose slowly and stretched before he stepped towards the door. One of the sweepers shifted his stance before clearing his throat.

“You are not allowed to leave.”

“I know. But we would like some privacy.”

The sweeper looked at his mate before deciding that there was nowhere for the old man or tech to go. “Ok, but if you try and leave, I will use force.”

Sydney nodded and watched the door close on the back of the sweepers before he moved quickly to the grate. Dropping on his haunches, he helped Angelo to remove the grate. “What is it, Angelo?”

“Jarod trouble. Have to help Jarod.”

Concerned, Sydney leaned closer. “What do you mean, Angelo? Is Jarod in danger?”

The empath nodded before handing Sydney a DSA. “Watch.”

“What is on this disc, Angelo?”

Angelo climbed into the room and took Sydney by his hand. Leading him to where Broots stood by the table, he indicated the DSA player and repeated, “Watch. Then we leave.”

Deciding that he wouldn’t get the information any other way, Sydney gave the disc to Broots and indicated to him to play it.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The docks, Blue water

He woke in stages. When he finally managed to clear the fog that seemed to pervade his mind, he opened his eyes. Jarod blinked several times before his eyes focused up at a definite non-Center like ceiling. He painfully moved his head to look around and found himself in a small bedroom, alone with an IV line that snaked into his arm. Still slightly groggy, he felt relieve to find that he was alone and then apprehension because he had no idea where he was or how he had arrived at his unknown whereabouts. Then he remembered Mr. Raines and the boy and his stomach churned.

He has a brother.

Footsteps echoed outside the door and he heard the key in the door rattle. He didn’t know what to expect, so he shifted closer to the wall. A man entered the room and when Jarod saw him he swallowed. Although he had never met him, he knew that if this man was in any way associated with Mr. Raines that he was in big trouble. The blue eyes gazed at him with interest and Jarod felt like a specimen in a jar.

“Who…,” clearing his throat, he managed to make his voice sound a little better, “Who are you?”

The man smiled and seated himself next to Jarod. Taken Jarod’s wrist in his hand, he looked at his watch as he took his pulse. Apparently satisfied, a cold smile settled on his lips the same time as fear settled on Jarod.

“What is the last thing you remember, Jarod?”

Jarod didn’t know if this was a trick. Was he supposed to tell about the boy and Mr. Raines’ revelation or was he supposed to keep quiet. Confused, he stammered, having no idea what was expected.

“Jarod, you do not want me to repeat myself? Answer me.”

That convinced the Pretender. Whoever this man was, he knew Mr. Raines because it was only with the doctor that he had ever received threats like that. Softly he told the man his last memory, sure that Mr. Raines was watching and waiting for him to make a mistake so that he could be punished. When he was finished, he looked down at the dull pattern of the faded blanket he lay on. He flinched when cold fingers lifted his chin so that his eyes made contact. The smile had turned triumphant and Jarod couldn’t help himself. He had to know.

“Where’s Sydney?”

“Still at the Centre.”

Still?

Gaining a little confidence, Jarod decided to continue with his questions. He adjusted his position so that he now leaned against the headboard and more importantly, a bit further away from the man that sat on his bed.

“What happened to me?”

“You managed to develop a fever and you were very sick for a while. Sydney will be relieved to hear that you are feeling better.”

“Where am I?”

“You’re offsite for the moment till you have finished a simulation that we could not complete at the Centre. You will be returned as soon as we are done here. Then you’ll be able to see your brother.”

Jarod looked at the man suspiciously. As far as he remembered, he had never been taken out of the Centre.

“Why is Sydney not here, then? I never do simulations without him.”

“You’re lying, Jarod and you know it. You have done simulations without Sydney before.”

Jarod frowned. He couldn’t remember. Why couldn’t he remember? Frustrated, he sighed and nodded before apologizing. It was better not to antagonize the man. Aware that he had asked the question before, he decided that the risk of knowing was better than not.

“Who are you?”

The man rose, looking down at the pretender. His voice sent shivers down the pretender’s back when he answered his question.

“My name is Mr. Cox and I will be taking care of you for a while.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Center

Sydney’s mind was still reeling with what he had seen while they followed Angelo through the vents. The DSA had been a private conversation taken between Raines and Cox a few months back. It seems that Raines had managed to develop a drug that could at will suppress and allow different memories to surface. They wanted to use it on Jarod as soon as the Pretender was returned to the Centre as a way of controlling him. That treatment coupled with Project Raptus could bring success in finally being able to bring Jarod under submission. Sydney pressed his lips together as anger coursed through his body, pushing him faster after the empath. He would not let Raines destroy Jarod’s soul.

Even if it costs him his life.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan

Murray readjusted the earpiece he wore while he lifted the binoculars and surveyed the house. Everything appeared deserted. The front door was open, as if beckoning them in and that more than anything else increased his wariness.

“Murray?” The radio in his ear crackled with Bobby’s voice.

“I’m listening,” he said, never taking his eyes of the building in front of them, wondering what they would find.

“We found a body in the shrubs behind the house. It looks like he had been dead about five or six hours.

“Ok,” Murray quickly ran through his options. “Leave him there. We’re going in front. You take your team in the back.”

“Affirmative. See ya in five.”

Murray looked at the team he had assembled. All of them good men and good cops. Men you would want next to your side.

“Let’s go.”

They entered the building quickly and with ease. No one stopped them, no-one threatened them or fired on them. He could hear the shouts of the men as the rooms was declared clear one after the other. Frustrated, he was about to admit defeat when Bobby’s surprised shout came from downstairs.

He entered the dimly lit room to find two more bodies lying on the floor. Another man was alive, barely. An old man had been cuffed to the injured one.

“Get me…out of…these,” the man demanded, his beady eyes glaring at the cops that had surrounded him.

Murray smiled, remembering the photo he had seen in one of the files. Crouching in front of the man, he said, “Mr. Raines, I presume.”

Indicating to one of the men to un-cuff the man, he ignored the glare of the other man. Slowly he took out a piece of paper. He knew the words on it by heart but he wanted to man to experience the full psychological aspect of what he was about to do. Unfolding the paper, he cleared his throat when Raines was helped to his feet.

“You have the right to remain silent…”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The docks, Blue water

“I…I don’t understand.” Jarod looked at the paper he held in his hand. Most of the notes were in his handwriting. What he was proposing was something he had didn’t want to think about.

“There’s nothing to understand, Jarod. Now complete the sim.”

Jarod turned from the table. He was still a bit unsteady on his feet and the headache was still throbbing quietly away behind his eyes. “No.”

“Excuse me?”

“I said no. This will kill people. Not help them.”

“Very well, Jarod. Then you will not see your mother.”

Jarod grabbed the table. Two images of Cox were staring equally menacing back at him while he tried to get ride the wave of dizziness.

“My mother?” he managed to utter in disbelief. His parents were dead, weren’t they? The hand that gripped the table increased while other memories intruded. Images of his mother’s lips forming the words - I love you – while he looked on and watched her turn and enter a car to leave him once again. His breathing increased as he tried to get air into his lungs that suddenly seemed empty. Black spots were dancing in front of his eyes and he stumbled before landing on his hands and feet.

Cox seemed to have realized his mistake. Forcing the pretender to sit upright, he coaxed him to relax his breathing. A few minutes passed before Jarod was sufficiently calmed. The time it had taken him to stop Jarod from hyperventilating had given him enough time to concoct a believable version for the pretender to swallow.

“You’re mother survived the crash. She had amnesia and had been taken to a convalescent home to recuperate. We only recently found out that the body we buried with your father was in fact a friend that had traveled with them. She is weak and your visits cheer her up immensely. If you complete the sim, you can see her.”

“My mother’s alive?”

Jarod was pale, dark circles underscoring his bloodshot eyes but it didn’t stop hope from flirting across his face. Cox smiled, knowing that he had the pretender exactly where he wanted him. “Yes.”

Jarod looked at the papers he still had clutched in his hands and then back at Cox. He really wanted to see his parent and he would do anything for that to happen. Anything.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The docks, Blue water

Miss Parker eyed the deserted area in front of the warehouse through her binoculars. The windows had been boarded up and thrash littered the area in front of the building. The whole area looked as if it had not needed useful commerce in a while. She grunted. It reminded her too much of all the hide-outs Jarod had chosen to live. For the Centre to do the same thing was a bit of a mystery.

Aware that time was ticking away, she put the binoculars down. Closing the door, she crouched before running quickly across the open space. She had not detected any sweepers patrolling outside and if any of them was watching from inside she was screwed, no matter what she did. Keeping her gun ready, she made the wall intact. She was about to turn the corner when she noticed two people in front of her, eyeing the same corner from behind shipping containers.

She swore silently. Why could things never be easy? Then another thought entered her mind and she smiled. This might just work.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Cove Airport

Sydney had managed to bluff his way onto the Centre jet. He and Broots had buckled in, watching as the runway beneath them increased in speed before he felt his body push back against the seat as the lifted off. He was praying, hoping that they would be able to stop Raines before he managed to inject Jarod with the drug.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baker’s club, Blue water

Lyle groaned. Touching the tender area behind his head, he thought of ways to make his sister pay. If she somehow managed to intervene in their plans, he would be the one that would be sacrificed and he was really not prepared to be the Judas goat. Entering a number from memory, he waited for the phone to be answered.

“Do it.”

He had no regret about the order he had given. None at all.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The docks, Blue water

Both Jarod and Cox turned with surprise when the entrance door to the warehouse slammed open. The glare from the sun made everything hazy and Jarod couldn’t focus on the two persons who entered. He dropped his eyes, wiping at them tiredly. His psyche was bruised from all he had experienced in the last few hours. His body was worn out and he had no idea how long he’ll be able to keep going. The thought of seeing his mother was the only thing that kept him going.

He heard stiletto heels echo on the cement floor. It seemed familiar. He started to lift his head to take a closer look when he was abruptly grabbed from behind by one of the sweepers and removed from the room. He tried to resist but was too weak and in the end he allowed the sweeper to help him back to the bedroom he had woken up in. He barely made it to the bed before darkness descended, cutting of all thought as if a light switch had been thrown.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The docks, Blue water

Miss Parker had her gun in Margaret’s side while she watched as Jarod was dragged from sight. The pretender did not look good. Her concern for him flared briefly before she reminded herself what she had came to do.

“Miss Parker, what are you doing here?”

“Doesn’t anybody have a vocabulary anymore? Or maybe you received your education from the same school as Raines.”

The cold blue eyes flashed with anger and frustration, the lines around his mouth sharply edged. He looked at the woman that Miss Parker had in her hands.

“What is the meaning of this?”

“I needed to make an entrance and I thought that bringing Jarod’s mother would attract attention.”

Cox was not unaware that Miss Parker’s gun was pointing at him. Looking towards where the sweeper was stepping closer, he shook his head. Miss Parker smiled but it never reached her eyes.

“I’m glad that you’re an intelligent man, Mr. Cox.”

“I’m extremely busy, Miss Parker. What is it you want and why would you bring Jarod’s mother here?”

“Let’s say I heard a little bird sing about ways of getting wonder boy to do your dirty work for you.”

“Go on.”

“I’m sure you don’t want me to spell it out for you, Cox. Unlike you, what I’m holding in my hands at this moment is not a fake. I’m sure that the Triumvirate will be extremely interested in what you are planning.”

“You’re on very dangerous ground, Miss Parker. If I were you, I’d be careful.”

“Reality check, Cox. You are right now in probably the biggest load of crap you had ever been in your life. If I were you, I’d play nice.”

Cox went rigid with anger, his eyes glaring daggers at Miss Parker. Unperturbed, she returned his stare, not backing down one inch. Margaret was now next to Miss Parker and the gun was now openly pointed at him.

“You won’t get away with this.”

“I already have. Tell your monkey over there to slide his gun over to us and then to cuff himself to the railing by the door.”

“What about the other sweeper,” Margaret interrupted Miss Parker.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure he’ll be here shortly.”

They waited in silence and it wasn’t long before the second sweeper entered the main room. Two minutes later he was cuffed next to the other sweeper. Miss Parker made sure that she took all the handcuff keys before prodding Cox to lead the way deeper into the warehouse.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The docks, Blue water

Murray eyed an open door for the second time that day. He looked at the girl that stood next to him. They had found her hiding behind a shipping container. From what he could gather her mother, a Miss Parker and Jarod was inside. She had no idea how many sweepers and other Centre personnel would be inside.

“Bobby, your team ready?”

The crackle of his radio sounded as the affirmative came through. Indicating to Emily to stay behind with one of the officers, they made their way towards the door. It felt like déjà vu, it was almost the exact same scenario as earlier except this time it wasn’t a house but a warehouse.

When they were inside the building, his eyes quickly dilated as they adjusted to the interior light. Two sweepers stared back at them, unable to do anything. Murray indicated to two men to stay with them as they made their way deeper into the building.

The silence was unsettling. Except for the occasional quark as someone declared a room clear, there was no other noise. So when the scream of intense sorrow tore through the hallways, Murray jerked in fright. He ran after the sound into a room set in the back. A dark haired man with blue eyes was pushed against one wall by a very determined woman, her gun under his chin. Holding tight to Jarod where he was lying limply on the bed was an older woman. Her eyes were wide with grief when she looked at Murray. He would never forget that look for as long as he lived. It tore into his soul, as he stepped closer. She looked at Jarod again and then back at him.

“We need a medic, you moron. Jarod’s not breathing.”

Turning from the older woman, he finally managed to snap out of it when angry blue eyes stared back at him. Acknowledging her advice, he frantically called for a medic. Two EMT’s entered the room, one silently coaxing Jarod’s mother from his side while the other started to check the pretender’s vitals. Their quiet words were somehow reassuring as they started to work on the man. Miss Parker watched with numbness as the positioned Jarod’s head and started CPR.

She was counting the compressions in her head, watching as the second man breathed in into Jarod’s lifeless body. Again the compressions and then the breaths. Over and over. And in her mind the litany that counted with each artificial heartbeat that was compressed.

Live.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you’re nice and leave reviews, I’ll decide who lives or dies. ;-)