Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

This is for Julia. Thanks for your reviews. ;-) Oh, and Very Belated Fourth of July.

Chapter 11


The Centre

“Cox, you cannot make a mistake on this,” Mr. Parker warned. He was about to answer to another question Cox had asked when Sydney barged through his door, his secretary right behind the psychiatrist.

“I’ll phone you back,” he said before closing his cell phone and placing it on the desk.

“Sydney, ignoring protocol I see. Is there something I can help you with,” he asked, indicating to his secretary that she could leave. Sydney placed a DSA player in front of him, turning the case so that he had full view of the screen. The Chairman watched the scene play out between the boy and Raines. His gaze lifted from the case towards where the Sydney was waiting.

“Who is this,” he asked with indignation.

“I was hoping you could tell me. This boy was under Raines care. How could you not know about him,” Sydney asked, leaning over the desk and pointing at the screen.

“I’ve never seen him before and I sure as hell did not approve this,” he snarled, rising and meeting Sydney’s glare.

“If you didn’t then it means that Raines was doing this either under his own direction or under the Triumvirate’s. How many lives did you allow him to destroy? Catherine would…”

“Catherine is dead, Sydney,” Mr. Parker interrupted, “You might have been her psychiatrist and as such privy to information that she shared but she was my wife. This boy is now an adult.”

“An adult that has taken photos of your daughter,” Sydney said, throwing the photographs that Broots had received on the table between them. “And if this boy is still under Raines’ influence, I can only imagine what he plans for her.”

Mr. Parker grimaced, shuffling through the photos. His daughter was in Blue water, the same place that Raines had gone too, the same place that his current project is destined to take place. He knew that if Raines perceived her as a threat that he will make sure that she is removed.

“How do you know it’s the boy that took the photos,” he asked, knowing that he was trying to put off the inevitable. Sydney would never have come to him if he didn’t think his daughter might be in trouble.

“Angelo,” he answered, “We need to contact Miss Parker as soon as possible.”

Mr. Parker turned, staring out the window. He watched the psychiatrist in the reflection, debating his choices. His daughter was not listening to him. He needed her back at the Centre and as far away from Blue water as possible. Maybe, he reasoned, she would listen to Sydney. He turned back to his table and lifted his receiver, dialing an internal number.

“The lockdown is lifted,” he said before replacing the receiver on the cradle, “Sydney, get my daughter back to the Centre. Now, if you don’t mind,” he said as he took his seat behind his desk, “I have work to do.”

Sydney nodded and left. There wasn’t much time left.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoreview apartments

Emily waited impatiently for the clock to sound the hour. She had been pacing up and down her apartment, trying to work out the conversation she would have with her mom in her head. It was almost an anticlimax when she was finally able to dial the number that would connect her to her parent.

“Mom, hi it’s me,” she said by way of greeting.

“No, I’m all right,” she answered her mother’s question. She wondered again if she was doing the right thing to tell her mom about Jarod.

“Emily, I can hear it in your voice. What’s wrong?”

Emily sighed and then calm settled. Jarod needed them. “Mom, I found Jarod,” she said, “and he’s in trouble.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The diner, blue water

Jessie finally noticed the waitress that had helped her and Jarod the last time she had been here. She greeted Maggie, asking about her family and how things were going at home. Finally done with the greeting she could ask the question she had been burning to, since she had entered the diner.

“Have you seen Jarod today?”

“No, honey. But if it is really urgent you can always try the police station. He’s a cop.”

She thanked Maggie, making her way out of the diner. She was determined to help her friend. Besides, she mused, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth; it’s not as if the guy who was in trouble was without appeal.

She made her way towards the police station, daydreaming about the dark and smoldering eyes of Emily’s brother. She was a block away when the object of her dreams made his way out of the station. She watched as he made his way down the stairs and entered a Lincoln town car. Taking note of the car’s registration number, she turned and made her way towards their apartment block. She had no idea why but she had this funny idea that Emily would want to know the information.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shoreview apartments

“I met him yesterday at a diner. He was scared, telling me that I had to leave,” she started, continuing to explain when and how the whole meeting had gone about.

“Did Jarod explain anything to you,” Margaret asked, already mentally making a list of things she needed to do to be with her daughter.

“No, I have no idea why but I think it has to do with the Centre,” she said, hoping her assumption was right.

“Have you seen any sweepers?”

Emily thought back to the scene in the diner. She had seen the two men who had followed her brother but they had not been dressed as typical Centre sweepers. She had only noticed them because of Jarod’s heightened fear and the fact that as soon as Jarod had made his way out the door, they had moved from their table and followed him out.

“I don’t think so. There were men following him but they didn’t look like sweepers,” she said.

Margaret looked at her watch. Her laptop finally allowed her access to a local airline. Clicking on the link that lead her to flight times she quickly calculated how long it would take her to get to Blue water. “Did anyone follow you?”

“No, I was careful,” Emily answered, looking up when she heard the key rattle in the front door. “Mom, hold on. Someone is here,” she said, making her way to stand behind the door. She was not expecting Jessie to be back so soon. Her one hand curled around an umbrella, holding it close to her body as the door swung open. She sighed in relief when the blond hair of Jessie walked past her.

“Jessie, what happened? Did you see Jarod,” she asked as her worry increased. She heard her mom calling over the phone but her attention was on her friend.

“Em, he’s fine, or I think he is. I spoke to one of the waitresses and she told me that he was a cop. So I went to the station and I saw him get into the back of a car. I took the registration number down for you,” she explained.

“What type of car was it,” Emily asked breathlessly, aware that her mom was listening in to their conversation.

“A black Lincoln, not my choice of car but …” she trailed of when she noticed the blood drained from Emily’s face. “Em, are you ok. Why don’t you sit down,” she said, moving towards where her friend stood. She helped Emily to sit on the couch and then went to the kitchen to pour some water in a glass. “Here, drink this,” she said gently.

“I…I’m fine,” Emily stated, still clutching the phone in one hand. She brought it to her ear, not wanting to believe that the Centre was again standing between them as a family.

“Mom,” she managed to croak, “did you hear?”

“Emily, I’m on my way,” Margaret said, closing the phone and selecting the booking link. Her family needed her and nothing will stand in her way. She wanted to hold her son and she will not allow the Centre to stand in her way again.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

“No answer,” Broots said, turning to Sydney, “Sam also isn’t answering his phone. What are we going to do?”

“Keep trying, Broots.”

Broots nodded, turning to his computer. He typed a few commands and then turned back to the older man.

“S…Sydney, uhm, you need to see this.”

Sydney moved towards the screen. “What is it?”

“Well, remember how there was no record of the conversations of Mr. Parker, Mr. Lyle and Mr. Raines. I sat up trace to pick up any of their numbers as soon as they made a phone call. See, that way we could pick up on anything they said. This was made to Mr. Parker’s phone a few minutes ago,” Broots explained, moving away so that Sydney could sit and read the transcript.

“The project is being escalated.”

“How did this happen. We had not planned for this.”

“I know.”

“Is there enough time for the pretender to be ready?”

“He’ll be ready.”

“Cox, how certain are you this will work. We had problems with Jarod before in doing similar simulations.”

“Don’t worry. Jarod will terminate the Triumvirate. After all, he wants to see his mother again.”

“Cox, you cannot make a mistake on this.”

“I know what is at stake, Mr. Parker. Do you?”

“I’ll phone you back.”


“They can’t be serious, can they Sydney,” Broots asked nervously, glancing around the tech room. “I mean, Jarod will never do that.”

“If Jarod believes the Centre has his mother he will do anything to make sure she is safe,” Sydney replied. He knew that they had to be careful. With a project of this scale they would be quietly disposed of it they were ever deemed a threat. Now was not the time for confrontation. He needed to speak to Miss Parker and until then, their hands where tied. He was sure that even if they were able to contact the Triumvirate confidentially that they would never get a chance to explain why.

“What are we going to do,” Broots asked, watching as Sydney moved towards the door.

“Find Miss Parker. Until then, pray.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baker’s club, Blue water

“What about Sam,” she asked, staring at the man who smiled down at her. She had been brought back to the study by Bugsy almost three hours after she had left her last departing remark.

“He will stay here as collateral. If you are successful, I will release him, otherwise…” Vince said smoothly, “but I guess you’re intelligent enough to figure out the rest.”

“Fine. How do I get to the house,” she asked, knowing that Vince had no intention of letting either her or Sam go.

“I’ll let my man take you. Less hassle that way.”

“How mighty kind of you. Remind me to give him a tip,” she replied sarcastically, “Do I get my gun back.”

“Why of course, Miss Parker. I wouldn’t dream of sending you into the enemy’s den without one. Bugsy will give it to you when you get to your destination.”

Miss Parker sighed inwardly. So much for that idea. Vince nodded to Bugsy and she knew she was being dismissed. Somewhere between her destination and her goal she needed to figure a way out for both her and Sam. She had no doubt that she will find a solution. Her life depended on it.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue water

The car turned into the docks area, slowing down to make the turn into a small alleyway. Jarod, who was sitting between two men, watched as a door was opened when the car honked twice. They entered the gloom and came to a standstill a little further into the warehouse. Cox was waiting, a predatory smile on his face. The man on his left got out and grabbed him by the biceps, pulling him from the car. He allowed them to escort him towards the other man.

“There were no problems” Cox asked the man on his right. The same raspy voice he knew from earlier experiences answered a negative. Jarod did not like the gleam in Cox’s eye when he nodded. They followed him further into the warehouse where a table had been set up. It was a mock-up of the whole docks area.

“Jarod, we seem to have reached a dilemma,” Cox began, turning to look at the pretender, “the schedule has been moved to tomorrow.”

Jarod stared. He had run out of time. A shiver ran through his body and the hands around his biceps tightened in reflex. Cox continued, ignoring the look from his captive.

“I know that you usually need more time to prepare but unfortunately that luxury is being denied. You have fifteen hours to set up suitable scenarios that can be played out with maximum success in mind. Your friends will stay and make sure that you have all that you need.”

“What about my mother. If the project is…successful,” Jarod managed to say the word, wondering how he would ever justify the murder, even if they were part of the people that had formulated his whole life, “what will happen to her.”

“She will be kept comfortable, Jarod. As long as you obey and follow our commands.”

Jarod stared with hatred at the suave man that stood by the table. “What if I refuse to do the project until you let her go,” he asked, knowing the uselessness of the question.

“You’re smarter than that, Jarod. Why ask a question you all ready know the answer too.”

Jarod dropped his gaze. “Please, just let her go.”

“You have fourteen hours and fifty eight minutes, Jarod. I suggest you start working.”

Jarod heard the footsteps of the other man recede and the two men beside him pushed him towards the table. I have no choice, he thought as he eyed the almost perfectly scaled buildings through tears. I have no choice…


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan

Cain tucked in Davey’s shirt, making sure that the boy was warm enough. Winter was quickly showing its colors and he didn’t want the boy to get sick or cold.

“Davey, do you remember what we talked about,” he asked as he took the jacket and helped the boy into it. Davey nodded, his thoughtful gaze on the man in front of him.

“Tell me,” Cain commanded.

“We have to be real quiet so that the bad man doesn’t hear us,” he said, concentrating on the exact words his friend had uttered earlier, “I have to do what you tell me, no matter what.”

Cain smiled, his eyes shining with life. His heart was thudding in his breast but not with fear. He was defying his mentor but for the first time in his life he felt free. His plans were set and once they were completely out of Raines’s grasp, he will set up a place for them to stay.

Pulling the boy into his arms, he made his way out of Davey’s room. He knew that the sweepers were with Mr. Raines in an office down the hall. He quietly closed the door before making his way towards the stairs. He could feel the boy’s heartbeat thudding against his chest and his breath stirring against his skin. He held on tighter as he descended towards the lower part of the house. They had made it, he thought, smiling as he stepped towards the cupboard door that lead to one of the tunnels he had built long ago. What he had not expected was a long legged brunette to step from behind a door and point a gun at him.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Centre

“Sydney, I’ve finished the last piece of the recording. I’m still trying to contact Miss Parker but she’s not answering her phone. I have it on auto dial, so it will just keep ringing until she answers.”

Sydney thanked the tech. He pushed the files he had been reading out of the way, and taking the DSA, he inserted it into its slot. He watched as a black and white Jarod entered the sim lab. He was being escorted by two sweepers. He recognized them as Raines’ personal guard he had fifteen years ago.

“Jarod, I have a project I need you to do,” Raines said before dragging on a cigarette.

Jarod’s voice came clear over the speakers. The deeper voice of near adulthood.

“What can I do to help, Mr. Raines?”

Raines indicated to the sweepers and the turned and left. Raines stepped closer, taking the pretender by the arm. Jarod frowned but allowed the doctor to lead him further into the room.

“There is someone I want you to meet.”

A door at the far end opened. The same boy from the previous DSA stepped through. He was much younger than Jarod but his eyes made him seem so much older.

“Who is this,” Jarod questioned, looking with wonder at the other boy.

“That is not relevant to the project,” Raines replied warningly.

“Why not? How am I supposed to interact if I don’t know his name,” Jarod replied stubbornly. The other boy was watching the interaction with interest. Raines backhanded the pretender before pulling him closer, digging his fingers into Jarod’s arm.

“You will obey and not question, Jarod. Am I clear?” Jarod nodded, his glare full of anger before it shifted back to the boy. He was lead towards a table where folders was already set out. He glanced at Raines before taking his seat. He was fascinated by the boy that sat across from him.

“The project we need information on will need a combination of both your skills. What I want from you Jarod is to simulate solutions and then using the boy to determine the practical application for it.”

Jarod nodded, his attention still focused on the brown eyes in front of him. He opened the folder, to indicate to Raines that he was starting his research. He waited long enough for the door to close behind him before he leaned closer.

“What’s your name,” he whispered softly, “Mine’s Jarod.”

“I don’t have a name,” the boy whispered back. “We have to work or Mr. Raines will be upset.”

Jarod could see the fear that the other boy was suppressing. He knew that fear for it was his own. He read a page, not really concentrating on the words or the meaning.

“How come you don’t have a name? Everyone has a name,” he said softly, careful to keep his eyes on the page.

“Mr. Raines says I don’t need one. He says that a name gives identity and I don’t have one.”

Jarod turned a page, mulling over what the other had said. “What do you want me to call you,” he asks, his gaze now on the equally dark eyes across him. The boy was smiling before it turned to fear and then went blank. Jarod didn’t need to turn to know that Raines was standing behind him.

“Jarod, I was under the impression that I gave you clear directions. Maybe we should visit the box again.”

Jarod’s own eyes reflected fear. “No, please Mr. Raines. I’ll behave. I promise.”

Silence followed his pleading. Jarod waited with bated breath. “Finish the simulation.” Jarod’s shoulders visible relaxed.

The DSA ended abruptly. Because of the Raptus files, he understood Jarod’s fear. Sydney thought back, trying to remember a time when Jarod had mentioned working with another boy. It eluded him and he assumed that Raines had also erased that part of Jarod’s memory. He could only hope that the boy had survived Raines as a mentor because everyone else he knew about had died.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan

"Let him go."

Cain ignored the directive, pulling the boy closer to his chest. His mind was running scenarios, hoping to find a solution. He wondered if she could kill him. He looked at her determined gaze and came to the conclusion that she would have no compunction in pulling the trigger if he gave her no choice.

"I said, Let. Him. Go." She emphasized her command by lifting her gun and aiming at his forehead. He shook his head, holding tighter to the boy. A door swung open to her left and fear for the boy settled in his stomach. It had been so long since he had feared anything that it took a moment for him to settle and not run in panic. His mind tried to process his thoughts as he watched his mentor enter with a mouth that was suddenly without moisture. Raines’ eyes slid menacingly from him and the boy towards the brunette.

"Miss Parker….what…are you….doing here?"

"I should have known you were the one behind this, Raines. It has your dirty little paw prints all over it."

She stepped sideways so that she could keep an eye on Davey and Raines. Willie and another sweeper had entered with Raines their guns pointed at her and the kidnapper. She frowned, wondering what the hell was going on.

"Well, this is what I would call a Centre standoff. What are you going to do Raines? Shoot me?"

Raines smiled and stepped to the side. "You made…your…bed when….you failed…to follow….your father’s directive."

He nodded, and then chaos reigned.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police station, Blue water

“Sir, are you all right,” the officer asked Murray as he helped him from the cupboard. Murray grunted, looking towards the desk.

“Where is Agent Kennett,” he asked urgently, grabbing the arm of the officer who had helped him.

“H…he left.”

“When?”

“Uh, I’m not sure. I guess around three or four hours ago.”

Murray’s gaze was drawn to the photo of the boy and then to the mystery photo’s. He remembered the despair and hopelessness he had seen in Jarod’s eyes. He had seen that look only once before and it had turned out very nasty and not in favor of the guy. Jarod was being coerced into doing something that he would by choice never do.

“Bring my all the tapes that cover the front view of the station from between the estimated time that Agent Kennett booked out. Phone Bobby and tell him that I want to see him urgently. Then bring me aspirin and a cup of coffee.”

All he could hope was that they had time.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mythos House, Michigan

Cain rolled his body around Davey’s, protecting him as much as he could. He breathed the coppery tang of blood. It slowly started its overflow and he could feel it drip from the corner of his mouth down his chin. Davey looked at him with big, teary eyes. The boy understood the seriousness of his wound and Cain whispered "It's okay." Davey face faded in and out. He could barely see the tears that now flowed silently down the boy's face. It took a lot of effort to lift his hand but he managed it, wiping away the wetness. He had kept his promise. He had kept Davey safe.

He whispered one more time, "Its okay." Then he faded away.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you’re nice and leave reviews, I’ll upload the next chap the end of the week ;-).