Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Although the characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Center, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and they were used without permission, the character ‘Isabel’ belongs to me. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended, so don’t sue!

Author’s Note: Once again, the quotation was used without permission and once again: I’m sorry for that! Carol, thanks a lot for your support matey!!! You’re the best!



The Prophecy
part 8
by Amelia





"This is Sydney." A sleepy voice answered on the other side of the line.

"Syd, it’s me. Sorry for waking you up, but we need your help." Parker started to pace around the wooden floor of the warehouse.

"Is everything alright Miss Parker?" Sydney questioned concerned.

"Yes…no." She rambled. "Do you remember my vision, the one I insisted you’d help me with?"

"Yes, the white room. What did you find out?"

"Lots of things and none of them make any sense!" She said, releasing a heavy sigh. "We’ve just rescued a girl from the dark corners of the Centre, one of Raines little experiments."

"We?" Sydney inquired curious. Parker cursed silently over the phone. How was she going to explain that one to Freud?

"Me, Broots, Ethan and…Jarod." The last name was almost inaudible. For a second she even doubted Sydney had caught on to what she had just said.

"I must had heard you wrong Parker…did you just say Jarod." Sydney sounded too pleased for his own good.

"Yes, that’s exactly what I said." Parker snapped annoyed. "You should have seen the girl’s room! "She continued, trying to avoid the subject of she and Jarod teaming up. "It wasn’t like Jarod’s, Syd. It had virtually everything and I mean everything: computer, stereo, television…does this make any sense to you?" She questioned.

"Not really. Are you sure she was locked up? You could be misinterpreting things."

"No Syd, she was locked up and heavily guarded…and she had been drugged."

"Raines drugged her? Why?"

"We haven’t discovered that yet…that’s why I’m calling you. Do you know of any Raines’ twisted little experiments carried out down in Africa?" Parker waited for Sydney’s reply, still pacing the place.

"No…in Africa?"

"Yes, he went to Africa to pick up the girl."

"No Miss Parker, I don’t know anything about Raines work in Africa." Parker sighed again, frustrated.

"I figured you wouldn’t." She muttered.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No Syd. We’ll have to wait until the girl wakes up, to learn about all the sordid details."

"You sound tired." He noticed.

"I am tired. I’m not going to work today so, cover my tracks will you?"

"Of course. What about Broots?" Parker looked over at where Broots and Ethan sat and her heart softened a little. He had stood by her side like a rock and thanks to him the ‘rescue operation’ had ran smoothly.

"I’m going to send him home. He’s work here is done."

"Take care Miss Parker and keep me posted." Sydney stated.

"I will Syd." She ended the call. Walking back to where the two men sat, she took the little gadget off her phone and threw it at Ethan.

"So, what did Sydney say? Did he know anything?" Broots asked when she sat down next to them.

"As usual, the good Doc was as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle." She answered playfully. Ethan and Broots chuckled.

"Broots, you should go home." She uttered after a while. "You can take my car."

"I can take him home if he wants." Ethan offered with a smile.

"I’m going to accept your offer Ethan. You might need the car, Miss Parker." He explained. Both Ethan and Broots got up from the table.

"Be careful Miss Parker and if you need anything, call me." Broots said on his way out of the warehouse.

"You know I will, Broots." Was Parker’s reply.

-*-*-*-*

* ’One day everything will be well, that is my hope. Everything's fine today, that is our illusion’ Voltaire’s words echo in my head, their sound propagating like a rush of blood through my system. I’m awake now, but I can’t open my eyes…I feel something warming my face…I hear birds singing and the air smells like…I don’t know…it has it’s own fragrance. Everything’s quiet, but not as quiet as it should be. I try to open my eyes again and this time they obey…*

-*-*-*-*

Isabel slowly opened her eyes. The sun was shinning directly on her face, but she didn’t try to look away, shielding herself from the intense light…she didn’t dare for, the first time in her life, she was looking at the sun. Closing her eyes for a brief moment, she let a single tear slide down her cheek.

‘It’s really warm!’ She thought, seeing how the ray of light fell upon her hand. She smiled.

Raising her head a bit she took in her surroundings. She was tucked under some old blankets in what seemed to be an old wooden bed. The sun beamed through a skylight and it seemed she was on the top level of the house, because she could see the stairs leading to the ground floor. Her head was pounding, but she ignored it. At her right she spotted someone sleeping. She gasped, suddenly scared. Bolting up right, she was invaded by a wave of dizziness and she frowned.

Jarod woke with a start. Looking over the bed he saw the girl watching him scared. For a moment neither said anything, each waiting for the other to take the ‘first step’. Sensing this, Jarod rose from the chair, but immediately the girl stepped out of the bed, trying to distance herself from him as much as she could.

"Don’t be scared." He said in a soothing tone. Isabel was shaking and looking at the stairs, she tried to find a way to escape. "I’m not going to hurt you." He reassured her. Isabel shook her head, tears starting to slide through her cheeks.

"Where am I?" She demanded through ground teeth, seeming furious and at the same time, utterly scared.

"You’re somewhere safe." Was Jarod’s reply. He tried to get closer, but the girl just ran towards the stairs. Jarod tried to catch her, but failed. Isabel ran down the stairs, with every step she took the pain in her body increased. "Wait!" Jarod called back. The girl was already nearing the door.

"Wow!" Ethan released when he entered the warehouse, startled by the girl, grabbing her by the waist. "Where are you going with such hurry?" He questioned playfully, turning her around. Isabel stopped fidgeting as soon as she saw who was holding her.

"You!" She gasped with amazement.

"I know you!" Ethan whispered, still holding her. Jarod and Parker had approached them and now were watching the scene with intrigued looks. "How do I know you?"

"Let me go!" The girl demanded, pulling Ethan away.

"Please, calm down. We’re not going to hurt you." Jarod tried to reason with the girl. She looked like a trapped animal.

"Who are you!" She yelled at Ethan.

"I’m Ethan, and this is my sister, Miss Parker and my brother, Jarod." Ethan pointed. "And you are…?"

The girl didn’t seem to understand the question. She kept staring at Jarod and Miss Parker, pale and with glowing eyes.

"Are you alright?" Parker questioned worried, for the girl was whiter then a ghost.

"Jarod?" The girl managed to ask. Both Jarod and Miss Parker exchanged confused looks.

"Yes." Jarod stepped forward.

"I’ve been looking for you my entire life!" She whispered, tears running down her cheeks freely. Stepping closer to him, she touched him softly in the face and then smiled, relieved to see he was real.

"You know who I am?" Jarod inquired, puzzled. The girl just nodded.

"Who are you?" Parker questioned.

"Birth name, Nem, later I changed to Isabel." She answered with a pleased smile. "You are the heiress, aren’t you?" She asked, now facing Parker. "Of course you are." She continued, not letting Miss Parker question back. "You’re here together, you and Jarod."

"Heiress of what?" Jarod inquired, trying to follow everything Isabel was saying.

"And we’re not together." Parker added sharply, which earned her a glare from Jarod.

"You’re not?" Isabel’s smile faltered.

"It’s complicated." Jarod answered, after a moment of hesitation.

"It shouldn’t be complicated." She muttered under her breath, her mind lost in her own thoughts.

"Why shouldn’t it be complicated?" Ethan questioned, calling her back to the present situation. For a moment the girl seemed lost.

"Voltaire’s words!" She blurred out, looking franticly at them. "Everything's fine today, that is our illusion."

"Mind explaining it?" Parker looked at Ethan and then to Jarod: both had the same confused look.

"We have to get out of here!" She practically yelled with fear back in her eyes.

"What’s wrong?" Jarod asked.

"They’re coming for me…and for you Jarod! We have to leave…now!"

"How do you know that?" Parker wondered, but she felt Jarod grabbing her arm and turning her to him.

"You warned them, didn’t you? You called them!" Jarod spat furious, shaking her.

"How dare you talk to me like that?" She bit back with rage. "Let go of me!" She demanded, but Jarod kept his hold.

"I knew I shouldn’t have trusted you! You are, and always will be their bounty-hunter!"

"She didn’t warn them!" Isabel tried to interfere, shocked with the scene." They can always find me. I think they’ve implanted some kind of ‘tracker’ inside of me." She finished.

Jarod looked perplexed, still holding Parker’s arm. He didn’t have time to let her go, let alone apologize, as she whacked him in his jaw, making him fumble a few steps backwards.

"That’s the second time today you’ve hit me." Jarod frowned hurt.

"It’s the second time today you’ve misjudge me. I’ve killed men for lesser than that." She snapped, still mad. Deep down inside, Parker knew Jarod had every right for being suspicious and not trusting her - she had never given him any reason to do so, to trust her…in fact, she had given him every reason to always watch his guard around her.

"You pull that again on me and I’m dragging you back to the Centre…in a body-bag!" She warned in a cold tone. Jarod glared back, still holding his sore jaw.

"You want to take him back…to that place?" Isabel questioned.

"My sole purpose in life." Parker stated sarcastically.

"Yes, Jarod escaped from the Centre five years ago and Miss Parker has been chasing him ever since." Ethan explained.

"Why?" Isabel faced Parker.

"That’s the million dollar question." Jarod said, playfully. "If you ever find that out…please…tell me." He added with a sly smile. "You know, we used to be friends when we were kids and suddenly she became my arch-enemy. I really would like to know what happened." He finished, now facing Parker.

"I grew up!" She snarled, not too happy with the course of the conversation.

"I think we should get out of here." Ethan interrupted, seeing they would go nowhere fast if they kept arguing. Parker sighed and went to pick up her jacket. Jarod decided to grab his things aswell. Luckily, they hadn’t had time to unpack.

"Are they always like that?" Isabel inquired, turning to Ethan with a confused look. He just chuckled.

"They’re worse." He answered. "You’ll get used to it." Ethan added. "How did you know they’re coming? You have a Inner Sense, don’t you?"

"If you’re talking about the voices I hear and the things I see, then yes, I have what you said." She answered. "You have it too?" She questioned after a long pause.

"Yes and Miss Parker does too, although she has only recently discovered it." Isabel nodded, understanding. "That was how I…we heard you asking for our help."

"I didn’t know someone was listening." She confessed with a small smile. "For all I knew, I was completely alone."

"Well, you’re not alone anymore." Jarod caught on what she said, handing Ethan his bag. "Shall we go?" He asked, opening the door.

Ethan and Isabel nodded and exited the place. Parker and Jarod followed them, the DSA case firmly gripped in his hand. Isabel stopped as soon as the morning’s fresh air invaded her lungs. Taking another deep breath she smiled happy. The sky was blue and the sun was shinning directly on her face.

"She’s your kindred soul." Parker said mockingly, facing Jarod.

"It’s better if we go in separate cars…it’ll be easier to elude the Centre’ goons." Jarod pointed out.

"Fine. Isabel’s coming with me." Parker informed. Jarod chuckled.

"Isabel is not going with you. I’m not that crazy." He said with sarcasm.

"It’s either you or Isabel. I’m not going to let my two prize-birds to flee away together." She bit back, in the same sarcastic tone.

"You know, you’re the most intolerable, stubborn, annoying, irritating woman I’ve ever met!" He snapped, turning away and heading for his own car, along with Ethan.

"Why, thank you!" She said loud enough for him to hear it.

-*-*-*-*