Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



The Pretender Paths Revealed
Part 3

by Cathryn




Sydney, Broots, Miss Parker, and Jarod all went around to the back door of the house. Jarod tried to open the door but it was locked. Miss Parker then pulled a hair pin out of her hair and jimmied the lock open. Jarod and Miss Parker both had their guns drawn as they entered the house, not knowing who or what to expect. Sydney and Broots followed behind them.

“Broots,” said Miss Parker, “You and Sydney look around down here. Jarod and I will look around upstairs. Call us if you find Raines’ bedroom.”

Miss Parker then handed Sydney her gun incase someone came inside and attacked them. Parker and Jarod then went up the flight of stairs in the living, Jarod leading because he had the gun. The two walked slowly up the stairs and down the hall. Then Jarod opened a door and found Mr. Raines bedroom with the wooden chest.

“Miss Parker look, there is the chest that your mother told you about.” Miss Parker ran over to the chest and flipped the lid open. The top of the chest had the word EDNA inscribed in it.

“This must have belonged to Edna Raines,” Jarod said “If this is Edna Raines chest, then why did my mother say that Mr. Raines knows all the secrets,” Miss Parker questioned. “Miss Parker try to find the secret compartment that your mother told you about,” Jarod replied.

Miss Parker began to look over every inch of the chest but didn’t find any thing suspicious looking that would have suggested a secret compartment. Just then Jarod noticed something he hadn’t seen before. On the inside of the lid of the chest Jarod saw something inscribed in. It said GEESE WALK BAREFOOT. Jarod then remembered the song he had known since childhood and began searching for the words CREE CRAW TOADS FOOT in the chest. He soon found them written in the left hand corner of the chest and opened the secret compartment.

“How in the hell did you find it Jarod?” Miss Parker asked

“The words from the song that I have known from childhood are written on it,” Jarod said as he pulled out a DSA.

“That’s all that’s in there, a DSA, that’s it!” Miss Parker said stunned.

“It’s dated a week before you mother supposedly died in the elevator at the Centre.”

Miss Parker and Jarod took the DSA and went back downstairs to see if Broots and Sydney had found anything.

“What did you find Parker?” Sydney asked.

“We found a DSA but Jarod and I aren’t sure what’s on it.”

“I have my DSA player at your house Miss Parker, we can go there to watch it,” Jarod said.

“Okay, lets see why mother wanted me to find this.”

Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney, and Broots then left the house the same way them came in and arranged to meet at Miss Parker’s house.

For the car ride back to Miss Parker’s house, Jarod was a little nervous. It was the first time they would be alone together since they had shared that intense stare when he had pushed her into the bushes. When he had looked into her eyes, his feelings for her had begun to resurface. He had never stopped loving her, but he knew that things would never be the way he wanted them to be with her. That was why he had set her up with Thomas Gates. Jarod thought he was worthy of Parker and he knew that Thomas would take care of her, but of course the Centre had gotten its sharp claws into that and Brigette had killed Thomas leaving Miss Parker heart-broken and vengeful. Jarod had fallen in love with Parker from the instant he met her, but he was not so sure how she felt about him. Before Jarod knew it he and Miss Parker were back at her house.

“Wonder boy, anyone home in there.”

“Hmm,” Jarod said, “What Miss Parker?”

“I said is anyone home in there. What’s wrong are you okay?”

“I’m fine Parker, lets go see what is on that DSA we found,” Jarod said.

After Sydney and Broots had arrived Miss Parker put the DSA in the machine and was shocked to see her mother on the screen.

“My darling daughter, if you are watching this DSA, that means you have discovered your inner sense and that I was killed in my efforts to complete my plan. Angel, Mr. Parker is not your father. I have never told this to anyone except Jarod’s mother. Sydney is your father.”

Miss Parker was utterly shocked. She spun around to see a stunned Sydney with his mouth hanging open. Jarod then tapped Miss Parker on the shoulder to remind her that her mother was still talking on the DSA.

“Well, Mr. Parker and I had been trying to get pregnant but had been unsuccessful in our efforts,” Catherine continued. “Mr. Parker and I turned to Mr. Raines for help because Mr. Parker felt that Raines was the only one we could trust. Doctor Raines had me believe that he impregnated me with Mr. Parker’s seed, when in fact Mr. Parker had me impregnated with Sydney’s seed in order to make a pretender. I didn’t find out about all of this until a week ago. Mr. Parker had Sydney’s DNA analyzed and discovered that he carried a dormant pretender gene. Well, as you know I had fraternal twins, you and your stillborn brother, twins is also another special gift that runs in Sydney’s family. As luck would have it, you were born intelligent, but not as special as Jarod. You instead were given another gift, the gift of the inner sense and that brings me to my plan.”

Just then the screen got fuzzy and the DSA went blank.