Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

That same evening
Somewhere in Washington...


“Oh Jarod, you sure know how to make a girl feel special,” the blond-haired woman purred seductively as they entered a small, yet very cozy and intimate, dining room.

This particular room could be found at the back of a very plush Italian Restaurant somewhere in the heart of Washington DC and was normally only available to VIP’s and their guests – something which Jarod Trucker as a world renowned plastic surgeon just happened to be.

“Only the best for the woman in my life,” Jarod replied with a huge smile plastered across his face, only the slight twitch of a facial muscle hinted at his true emotions. Pulling out a chair for the woman, he waited until she sat down in the careful, feminine manner typical to high-class socialites, before walking around the table and taking a seat too.

“So...Jarod, dear...” the woman begun in her sugarcoated voice. Stretching out a hand she wrapped it around his, before continuing, “You promised me that tonight was going to be a night I’ll never forget. You started off just fine with this beautiful little place, but I assume there’s going to be more?”

“I thought you’ll never ask,” Jarod stated mysteriously and with his free hand he proceeded to ring a little golden bell that was close by.

Immediately a little Asian girl of around nine years old entered the room, carrying a dish, covered with a white cloth, between both hands. Standing up, Jarod went to kneel in front of the girl and with a kind word of thanks in her mother tongue he took the dish from her and walked back to the table.

“Okay...I give up,” the woman said during the exchange between her companion and the little girl. As she spoke, her eyes, with a barely detectable hint of concern playing behind them, darted from one person to another. As Jarod walked back towards her, she waited until the little girl retreated out of the room, before adding, “You sure are one strange person, Jarod. If it wasn’t for the fact that you have captured my heart, I wouldn’t have afforded you a second glance.”

Jarod did not reply, instead he awarded her comment with a playful grin as he proceeded to put the dish down on the table between them. Leaning over the table, Jarod stared intimately into her eyes, before whispering, “Ready for your surprise my dear?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” the woman tried to reply in the same lighthearted manner by throwing his earlier words back at him, but it was obvious from her slightly nervous demeanor that she was finding it very difficult to succeed.

Grinning even bigger, Jarod made a bit show of removing the cloth from the dish and even went so far as to utter, “violà!”

His response was the loud sound of a chair falling to one side and a woman’s voice crying out, “What’s the meaning of this!?” In one swift movement the woman had managed to jump out of her chair, upbringing forgotten for the moment, and was standing with her back against a wall, chest moving rapidly up and down as she stared in horror at the contents of the dish in front of her.

“What?” Jarod said, pretending ignorance, while eyeing the contents in front of him with interest.

“That...that...” the woman stuttered, pointing a finger in the direction of the table, but was unable to say more.

Reaching out a hand, Jarod scoop up some of the stuff in the dish, a grayish, thick paste, and brought it to his nose. “Interesting smell,” he commented and taking a quick lick at it he added, “Hmm, the taste is very familiar, but I just can’t quite put my finger on it.”

Smiling, a twinkle burning in his eyes, Jarod walked closer to the woman. Reaching out a hand towards her, he said in a soft, yet ominous, tone of voice, “But then...surely you should be able to help me out here?”

Swallowing, eyes darting to the door on the opposite side of the room, the woman tried to speak, stopped and licked a tongue over her bottom lip, before finally saying in a slightly more composed voice, “I don’t what your point is with this sick game, Jarod, but I’m not going to play it.” Rubbing passed Jarod, she rushed to the door and muttered, “I’m out of here...thanks for a not-so-wonderful night.”

Grinning, Jarod did not comment, merely stepped to one side to allow her to pass him without any obstruction.

As she reached the door she afforded Jarod once last hurried glance over her shoulder, before reaching out a hand to try and open the door.

Locked.

“No,” the woman uttered and tried again to open the door.

Still locked.

Throwing all self-control overboard the woman started pulling and pushing against the door with all her might, muffled words the only sound, beside the loud rattle of a door straining against its hinges.

“What? No goodbye kiss...my dear?” Jarod finally decided to say something as he walked at a leisure pace toward the woman, one hand raised slightly to prevent the paste from falling to the ground.

Finally registering that there was no way that she would be able to force the door open, the woman spun around and with her back against the door she stared at Jarod with emotions varying between fear, confusion and loathing playing across her face.

“Let me out,” she said after a few seconds.

“Why?” Jarod replied.

“Please, Jarod...I beg you.”

“Uh...no can do.”

Crossing the distance between them, until he was able to stand directly in front of her, Jarod leaned with an elbow against the door, while moving his paste-covered hand up and down in front of the woman’s eyes. After a few moments he remarked casually, “Why the haste?”

“I...I just want to go...please...let me go and-,” the woman begged softly, tears were streaming down her face.

Pretending like he had not heard her reply, Jarod interrupted, “And here I was thinking that you and I may get to enjoy some of these-” taking a lick from the paste again, he continued, “wonderful, home-grown... drugs.” As he said the last word his eyes darted up to meet hers squarely.

“I...I don’t know what you’re talking about,” came the soft reply, fear entwined with every single word.

“What...don’t you understand,” Jarod responded and suddenly it appeared as if a dark cloud descended on him. “The fact that it wasn’t enough for you and your people to sell drugs to innocent children...or the fact that you had to make sure it was as poisonous as can be?”

“Jarod...please you don’t understand,” the woman cried out.

“Oh...and here I thought you didn’t know what I was talking about.”

“It...it’s not the way you think...I...I had no choice. They made me do it!”

Looking at his hand and then at the woman in disgust, Jarod brought his hand up and started smearing the paste in one swift movement across her face, while roaring out, “But yet the thought of innocent children eventually dying in pure agony, while their parents looked on in despair couldn’t make you seek help from the police-“

Twisting her head from side to side, trying to avoid the paste from entering her mouth and nostrils, a look of pure horror evident on her face, the woman tried to plead for mercy once more, “Please don’t! I didn’t mean to. I had no choice. Please Jarod, you have to believe me!”

“But yet...you had no sympathy for the children that died before their time due to your own actions!” Taking some of the paste, mixed with tears that were running down one cheek, Jarod forced it into her mouth, before adding, his eyes burning with anger, “You sold these drugs to the children, knowing you were sentencing them to death.” Forcing the paste deeper into her mouth, he shouted into her face, “Didn’t you! Didn’t you! Didn’t you!”

“Yes! Yes! Oh god, yes!” the woman cried out and when Jarod took a step backwards, she collapsed in a pathetic bundle to the ground. “I did it! I admit it. I was responsible for every single death. Just get me to a hospital; I don’t want to die before my time. I promise to tell you everything you need to know.”

Nodding his head, Jarod took a few steps back and appeared to be talking to himself when he said, “Did you get that?”

His reply was one of the side walls of the room lifting up to reveal a camera crew, a couple of men in police uniforms and a few others in civilian clothes.

One of the men dressed in civilian clothes walked up to Jarod and reached out a hand, before saying, “Nicely done, Detective. We managed to get every last word on record and with her testimony,” he pointed a finger in the direction of the woman, before continuing, “we will once and for all manage to break the grip of the Chiuang family on DC’s own version of China Town.”

“Y-you are a detective? B-but I thought you were a plastic surgeon?” the woman asked from where she was being cuffed and read her rights by a policeman, her whole stance being of a person utterly defeated.

Smiling, Jarod replied, “Not today.”

“B-but your office, your surgery...the famous people that visited you while I was there?” she tried to object to what her mind refused to believe.

Walking closer to her, Jarod grinned and stated, “All just part of the pretend.” Then, putting a finger in his mouth, pure delight evident on his face, Jarod added, “Oh and by the way...white chocolate cake mixture...delicious.”

His only response was wide, shocked and unbelieving eyes.

For a few moments Jarod stared after the retreating backs of the woman and the policeman, before turning his attention back his fellow detective next to him, “I’m sorry...you were saying?”

“I was just asking where you plan to go now?” Seeing a strange look passing over Jarod’s face, the Detective quickly explained, “I mean with the successful completion of this operation, you can have any assignment you want.”

“Don’t have anything specific on my horizon yet,’ Jarod stated, “although I have some unfinished business in Delaware to take care off.”

Without waiting for a reply, Jarod walked pass the Detective in the direction of the rest of the assembled group. As he continued onwards, only pausing to accept a few sincere congratulations, he could not help but looking around him, wondering why there was no sign of Ms Parker, Broots, Sydney and the sweepers that were normally always on cue, right at the end of a pretend.


xxx


Author’s Note:

Okay...sorry about this chapter, but for some strange, illogical reason I felt I had to add this chapter...to state where Jarod was during Ms Parker’s abduction.

Hope it was at least remotely interesting???

Next chapter...more Centre, I promise.