Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first part...
Author's Note: Apology for long wait. In the middle of revision decided to rewrite the entire part. Therefore it took a lot longer. Hopefully next part will come much faster!!! :-P I hope...



Entanglement and Lies
By Apollo's Girl
(aka AG)





* * * * * * * * * * Part 5* * * * * * * * * *




Sydney let out a breath that he didn’t know he was holding. He shifted the phone in his hand as he listened to Lyle speak on the other line.

"They are going to help me get her out, but we don’t know how long it will take."

"Perhaps you should get back here, Mr. Lyle. It will at least get the Centre off your back for a little while." Sydney replied, glad to know finally where Parker and Jarod were. He was still surprised that Parker had agreed to play Jarod’s wife. He laughed at the thought.

"Syd?" Lyle asked at the old man’s chuckle.

"Sorry just wondering how long Jarod is going to last as Parker’s husband." Lyle laughed back.

"Look Syd I will be back soon, just keep them off my tail for a bit longer."

"Alright, but be careful. The last thing Jade needs is for you to do is something foolish right now."

"I know Syd. Thanks."

Sydney listened as Lyle hung up the phone. He listened to the dial tone for a minute before hanging up the pay phone. He walked outside the booth and towards home.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Lyle paced around his hotel room impatiently. He wanted to see her, he wanted to hold his little girl again. He hated waiting. As Sylvia always said patience was never one of his virtues. A sad nostalgic smile came to his face as he thought about her.

‘I miss her so much.’ He thought silently. Just then he heard a knock at his door. When he looked in the peephole he saw that it was his sister. Opening it up he gestured for her to come in.

"What do I owe the pleasure of this visit for?" He asked. "And where’s Jarod?"

"He’s back at the house working. I just came by to have a private chat with you and to let you know how things are going." Parker replied as she took a seat on the bed. She took a quick inventory of the room and noticed that it was neat and clean. Unlike Jarod, her brother had good taste in hotel rooms.

"Trust me no roaches." He remarked as he noticed her inspection.

"That’s a good thing." They remained silent for a few moments. Then Parker continued, "We have found more information about Jade and the others. Apparently they are the best Pretenders they have. Also they seem to be able to leave the facility."

"Do you think we could use that opportunity to get them?" Lyle asked.

"That’s what Jarod and I were thinking. The key is to know when they are allowed to leave and exactly how we get to them."

"Anything I can do?"

"Nothing right now, but to sit back and wait."

"I hate doing that."

"I know."

Lyle laughed. "A Parker family trait?"

"The family curse." Parker replied with a smile. The two just sat together laughing. In most cases people would find the two of them getting along to be extremely strange and unworldly. However she and her brother had long time ago established that although they would always be at each other’s throats, that there were some moments they were on the same side of the coin. Those moments seemed to freak Broots out more than anything. That established another rumble of laughter from her.

"What?" Lyle asked perplexed.

"Just Broots would probably have a heart attack if he saw us not at each other’s throats."

Lyle smiled. "Probably would, but you would think he would have gotten use to people acting out of character at the Centre."

"I think he’s beginning to learn that."

"Why else are you here Sis?" Lyle asked studying his sister, wondering the real reason she was here.

"I want to know about you." She stated plainly. It took Lyle off guard.

"Why?"

"Because I’m beginning to realize that there is more to you than meets the eye."

"Like you."

It was Parker’s turn to look surprised.

"I always thought that there was more of our mother in you than there appeared." Lyle paused. "What do you want to know?"

"I want to know about you, about Sylvia: who she is, where you met. And I want to know about Jade. I want to know the brother before he got corrupted by the Centre."

Lyle laughed cynically. "I was corrupted the day I was born. We both were."

Parker shot a surprised look at him, but said nothing.

"About me… That’s hard. I can tell you about Sylvia. She was the most beautiful woman I ever met. Also the first one to ever reject me."

Parker sat back and listened to her brother recount his love affair with the woman of his dreams.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Lyle paced around in his office restless. He wanted to be back in New York helping out his sister and Jarod, instead he had to stay at the Centre. He was about to hurl something from his desk when Sydney and Broots walked through the door.

"Anyone ever heard of knocking?" He growled at the two, deciding that that he would take out his agitation on them.

Broots stuttered for a reply, while Sydney just gave a nod of apology.

"What are the two of you here for?"

"Um, to tell you we have a lead on Jarod."

Lyle raised his eyebrows in interest. "Well w-h-e-r-e Broots? We don’t have all day!"

"In the- uh, well we think he’s in, uh…"

"Just spit it out Broots!" Lyle yelled at the man.

"Washington D.C.!"

"Syd call the jet and tell them we are to go now."

"Already done sir." Sydney replied.

"Oh, you two, better pack a little extra this time, I have a feeling we’ll be tailing him for a while." Lyle suggested cryptically. Sydney nodded in slight understanding and poor Broots stood there confused as always.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


The three and Sam walked out of their hotel in search of Jarod. His last lair was supposedly in an apartment near Georgetown University. Sam after a few wrong turns was finally able to find the place.

"Sam and Sydney in the back, Broots you’re with me." Lyle ordered.

Broots looked as if he signed his death sentence, but didn’t say anything. They all went their way. Lyle and Broots entered through the front only to find that the house was empty. They bumped into Sydney and Sam who had come up the stairs.

"Well looks like we missed him." Sydney replied.

"Again." Lyle said, annoyed. All of a sudden upstairs they heard a song playing. After listening for a few moments, they were able to distinguish what it was.

"Yesterday." Broots voiced. "That’s one of my favorite Beatles songs."

Lyle smiled and headed up the stairs. The other three followed along. As soon as they stepped into the room where the song was emitting from the door shut behind them.

"What?" Broots said in surprise only to be more in shock when he saw Jarod and Miss Parker standing in the room. "Mi-Mi-Miss Parker and-and Ja-Jarod!"

"I take it Parker chose the song?" Lyle asked as he looked at the two.

"You did tell me it was her favorite song." Parker replied. "I thought you would get the message."

"I got it when Broots told me the location."

"Well just in case you forgot." Jarod smirked. Lyle threw him an annoyed glance but said nothing in return.

"Jarod, Parker its good to see you both well." Sydney greeted a huge smile on his face.

"I take it Lyle told you?" Jarod replied. Sydney nodded in response.

"You can put the gun down Sam." Parker told her sweeper. "This time Jarod is helping us out with a little something."

Sam did as he was told, but the questions shown in his eyes. Broots just said it out loud.

"What’s going on? You and Jarod are working together? And with Mr. Lyle? What does Yesterday have to do with anything? Whose favorite song? I’m really confused!" Broots asked it all in one long breath that it jumbled together.

"First time I haven’t heard him stutter today." Lyle remarked leading the others to laugh.

"We’ll explain everything on the way. Just to let you know, we are kidnapping you all today." Jarod said as he opened the door and lead the way out. Lyle, Sydney and Broots followed him, while Parkerb waited to talk to Sam for a few moments in private.

"Sam I asked Lyle to bring you here because I trust you not to tell the Centre." Parker said.

"You have my loyalties Miss Parker. They are always with you first."

"Good. Because I will need your help in this and if the Centre finds out even one word about this-"

"You will have me killed in a very painful and atrocious way." Sam finished for her with what could be called a sly smile. "Personally Miss Parker I rather be killed by the Centre than you."

Parker returned the smile. "I knew I could count on you the day I first kicked your butt."

The two walked down to the waiting car which would take them to a private airstrip.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


"So let me get this straight." Broots said, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. The others nodded for him to continue. "Lyle has a daughter, Emily is alive, they are at Citadel Eugenics, a doctor there is flirting with Jarod, they are performing experiments like the Centre, we are going to get them out and Miss Parker and Jarod are pretending to be married?"

"Yeah that’s about it." Jarod replied. Lyle and Parker gave a nod of agreement as Sydney gave his small smile and Sam had the same stony face he always had on.

"How- huh- wha- How did you get her to agree?" In Broots’ mind everything else was believable, after all he has been working at the Centre for a long time. However the thought of Parker and Jarod pretending to be married was too much of a stretch to believe.

"I have my ways." Jarod answered cryptically, giving Parker a sly wink.

"Called kidnapping." Parker hissed back at him.

"You certainly know a way to a woman’s heart." Lyle said to Jarod. Jarod ignored him and continued.

"So now that you have that all straightened out, ist time to go get them."

"Now?"

"No, tomorrow morning." Jarod replied.

"They’ll be out tomorrow?" Lyle asked.

"According to the security files they are taking a trip out of town." Parker answered. "It didn’t say where or how. Only that they would be leaving unescorted."

"So how do we catch them?" Broots asked. "I mean if they are pretenders how do we get them? It’s hard enough to catch one…"

Jarod gave a triumphant smile only to be slapped by Parker. "Don’t, Broots. His ego is big enough."

"We create a diversion." Jarod explained while rubbing his shoulder and throwing an evil look over at Miss Parker. "Something simple."

"Jarod thought that we should hit their car as they are leaving." Miss Parker said.

"What if something happens and one of them gets hurt?" Lyle asked critical of Jarod’s suggestion.

"Look if you let me drive the car, I’ll know how to hit it so no one will get hurt. I already mapped out a sight that’s far enough from the Citadel and private enough so that no one can interfere."

"If she gets hurt I’ll hurt you." Lyle threatened.

"You forget that my sister is in there too." Jarod replied.

"Have either of you taken into consideration that they might not want to come with us?" Sydney asked, speaking for the first time.

"That’s where Sam comes in and this." Parker said holding up a case of vials and syringes. "It’s a mild suppressant that won’t harm them, but put them out long enough to bring them to where we need to take them."

"Hopefully we won’t have to use them." Lyle replied. "So does everyone understand the plan?"

"One thing, where are we going?" Sam asked.

"It’s better that we don’t tell you." Jarod replied. "So why don’t we get some sleep, because tomorrow will be a long day.