Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Pretender characters they belong to others. No money was involved and no infringement is intended. I am just having a little fun.

Authors note: The title is borrowed from a song from Jewel's Spirit CD. The words from the refrain struck a cord, and Staind gave me some inspiration. This is my first fan fiction so please give me some feedback and constructive criticism.





Life Uncommon
Part II

By Callisto





The Centre
Blue Cove, DE

Mr. Lyle was nattily dressed in a designer suit that was chosen to show to great advantage his trim and clean cut figure and facade. His hair was expensively cut and his cheeks were clean-shaven and scented with only the best and most expensive of aftershaves. Walking into Raines' office he knew that none of this would give him an advantage over the soulless wheeze bag but was solely for his own comfort.

Lyle took a deep breath of courage and entered the chairman's office. Raines' favorite sweeper Willie had summoned him unceremoniously there wasn't any illusion that this was an optional appearance. As he entered he saw Raines seated behind a massive desk shuffling papers that were artfully scattered on the surface.

Raines kept Lyle waiting 10 minutes before condescending to look up at the dapper sociopath who stood obediently in front of the desk waiting to give his latest report. From the looks of it, Raines decided that Mr. Lyle had a less than encouraging report to make on Mr. White's progress.

"What news Mr. Lyle?" Raines asked prepared for disappointment. He was tired of being inconvenienced by Lyle but unfortunately the man had his uses.

"Mr. White informs me that he has finally picked up a lead on the Major and Gemini. His lead originated in New Orleans but then went cold from there. White believes they may be heading west from something a storekeeper overheard the boy saying to the Major. He will be staying in New Orleans for another few days to see if he can find out anything further about their destination."

"Were the Major and boy traveling alone?"

"As far as White can ascertain, they were, but it seems that they are expecting to meet up with someone. So far there is no evidence to connect them with my sister or if she was the one they are enroute to meet. The search for her is still not turning up any leads. She seems to have effectively erased her identity and changed her most traceable habits. Didn't know Sis had it in her." Lyle added with sarcasm. He was conflicted about his twin's departure. For the most part he was happy, her absence left him with the lion's share of the power pie, on the other hand he still had a few issues he wanted to resolve with her.

"Keep me updated, Mr. Lyle. We need more satisfying results and the clock is ticking. There are certain aspects of the scrolls' predictions that directly concern your sister and the Triumvirate is as much aware of the timetable as I am." Raines returned his attention to the papers on his desk as a sign that the interview was over.

Lyle mentally shrugged and sparing a last depreciating glance in Raines' direction, he left the office. He was still digesting Raines' information about the predictions from those stupid scrolls. It seemed that all the smart people paid attention to whatever was written on them and Lyle hated to be out of the loop. He was thinking of a way to find out more about those predictions as he strolled to his own office, with a more determined air than when he left it.



Oregon coast
Outside Florence, Or


The large Victorian style house was well maintained with a large homey living room and comfortable bedrooms. The house felt more like a mansion with the numerous rooms and baths present. Jarod and Madchen decided to occupy only the downstairs. They chose the bedroom off the den and stayed indoors the entire week; cooking, talking, making love and occasionally playing. During this time Jarod presented her with a plan on how they should handle whomever the Centre had sent to retrieve them. By the time Ethan and Oliver joined them the plan had already been partially implemented.

Jarod filled Ethan in on the plan and his part in it. The final touches had been completed when Jarod decided he wanted to spend one last day alone with his bride. They enjoyed a leisurely drive to the coast and set up a picnic site on a bluff overlooking the shore.

"You haven't even left yet and I already miss you," Jarod said quietly.

"I can't wait till this is all over so we can finally start living like normal people--well at least living a less uncommon life," she replied in response. "When are you going to tell your family about us?"

"I want to wait until we get this mess sorted out and tell them without having to worry about the Centre still being at our heels. Once we figure out how they got a lead on Dad's whereabouts and shore up that weakness, then we will all disappear."

"So you're going to wait till we're all in Maine. That's going to be hard, first telling them that you're married, and then the coups de grace-who you married."

"What did Ben say about the house?" Jarod asked wanting to change the subject to more pressing matters. He wanted everything about his plan to go smoothly, like his pretends.

"He thinks communicating from the phone at his favorite diner instead of the inn is nutty, and that I must have watched one too many James Bond movies when I was a kid. Everything is settled, his friend has agreed to give us a short lease on the island cabin. According to Ben, calling the place a cabin is being modest and from the deposit the old geezer demanded it better look like the Taj Mahal." Madchen replied lazily as she enjoyed the feel of his muscular torso against her back and his arms wrapped around her.

Jarod laughed softly as he buried his face in her soft hair and tightened his arms around her. "Well, it's not like the money is coming out of our bank accounts."

"No, I just hope it's as nice as Ben claims. Personally I would prefer staying with him at the inn." Her eyes were closed as she felt Jarod move further downward and start to nibble her neck. "You keep doing that to my neck, I'm not going to leave."

"I hope you're already packed because I'm not letting you get up early to do it, you're staying in bed with me," He said as he bit her teasingly.

"Ummm, yup, we're all packed and ready to go. Ben is looking forward to meeting Oliver." She leaned further into him and started a full stretch. Jarod could feel every muscle in her lean body tense and then slowly relax; it was a uniquely sensual experience with her in his arms.

"Talk about seductive," He smiled as he took her by the shoulders, eased her to the ground and quickly got on top of her. "This is my favorite part."


*A few days later*

Ethan had just finished up breakfast and was enjoying a few moments of solitude. Jarod was surfing through the Centre's mainframe on his laptop so he had a few minutes to himself. He felt a little nervous knowing his siblings had based the bulk of their plan on the messages he was getting from the voices in his head. The paralyzing headaches he used to get had all but disappeared, nothing a typical aspirin couldn't handle. The voices were still plaguing him with their warning chatter but at least the volume of the cacophony was down to a more reasonable level. He knew his family was close and he was only slightly startled by the sound of a car coming up the drive. Ethan took a quick peek through the curtains to confirm that their first guests were Emily and Margaret. They drove up in a non-descript brown Toyota Camry.

Ethan ran to the back room where Jarod was absorbed in whatever he was working with on his computer. "Jarod, your mom and Emily just got here."

Jarod closed the laptop with finality and looking up said, "It's time to get started."

Jarod and Ethan greeted the two women with affection. "Mom, I've missed you. I can't tell you how great it is to see you again." Jarod said after the usual round of hugs and kisses were finished.

"I still pinch myself when I realize that I'm here talking to you. I'm looking forward to this time together," Margaret said smiling.

"Mom, Emily I think you both should sit down. I have a lot to explain to you," Jarod told them, turning suddenly serious.

"Is something wrong, has anything happened to Dad?" Emily asked anxiously.

"As far as we know Dad and Justin are fine but it appears they may have been compromised. I intercepted some email traffic between the Triumvirate and the Centre's new chairman. Apparently they have refocused their efforts back to our family. They have a lead on Dad and Justin and have sent someone to retrieve them. I have a plan to trap the Centre operative that should be following them here. The only way for the plan to work is to determine if either of you were also compromised, if so then we need to shed those identities. Now we're fairly certain that Ethan's identity and mine are still viable. We were in Reno for a week and didn't see any signs of sweepers. I even left a false trail for them to follow and so far no one has bothered to check on it," Jarod said earnestly.

"If the Centre is concentrating on Dad and Justin then me and Mom's identities should still be okay," Emily said.

"Have you had any contact with either Dad or Justin before coming here?" Ethan asked.

"Dad sent me an encrypted email saying they left New Orleans about a week ago and they were both on the way here. Other than that we haven't had any contact with them," Emily replied stealing a look at her mother who shook her head in agreement.

"Perfect, then you should be okay. I had made up new identities for you just in case. My plan is this; I need both of you to go with Ethan to the new place we have set up. I'll wait here for Dad and Justin and give them their new identities and see if they have spotted anyone suspicious before having them follow you," Jarod said with a determination.

"When you send your father to us will you be joining him?" Margaret asked. She had only a few months to get to know her oldest son but that look in his eye had been with him since birth so she knew he had something else planned.

"No, I'm going to send Dad and Justin ahead to the new place alone, complete with clean ID and a fresh set of clothing. Don't worry, Mom, I have some experience in setting up this kind of trap by the time the Centre's tracker shows up, I'll be ready for him." Confidence was in his voice.

"So where are you sending us? Do you have someone already there that we're supposed to contact?" asked Emily.

"We chose a house on one of the islands off the coast of Maine. A friend recommended it and helped us rent it. The house is being opened up and everything is in the works to get it ready for us to live there," Jarod said ready for more questions.

"Who are we going to meet once we get there? And do we have time to catch our breath and freshen up before getting on another plane?" Margaret asked.

"I have our contact's name and all the information we need, including the boat we'll need to reach the island. Our plane leaves tonight. Why don't you two relax a bit, we have time for you to get freshened up before the long drive to Eugene. I have the airline tickets and everything is ready, why don't you two have a bite to eat? Jarod made a terrific lunch for you," Ethan asked looking from one perplexed woman to the other.

Jarod got up and knelt at his mother's feet, "Mom, I'm hoping that after this, we will have some time to really get to know each other. I'm tired of running from the Centre and playing their games. Now that I have found you, I'm not interested in that any longer."

"I've missed out on so much of your life. There are milestones in every person's life and I've missed too many of them in yours. I would be greatly relieved to see you settle down and be happy, hopefully with someone special in your life." Margaret said tenderly as she stroked the side of Jarod's cheek. She didn't say anything aloud but she was very curious about the sudden guilty look that suffused her son's features.


*Two days later*

It was morning but Madchen was having difficulty getting out of bed. She felt positively worn out. The 'cabin' she arranged with Ben's help to rent was deceptively large. On the outside it looked average in size, but once you got inside it seemed to go on forever. Airing out the long closed house and preparing the rooms for occupation was a lot of fun. She smiled at the thought of the looks on Margaret and Emily's faces when they found the small personal touches she left for them.

The long plane trip back to the west coast took more out of her than she anticipated. Added to the incessant chatter from the voices in her head and the headache they were giving her was a bad omen for how the rest of the day would be. She knew Jarod had gotten up a couple of hours earlier as she swung her legs from under the covers and slowly got out of bed. There was still plenty to get done before Major Charles (Dad!) and the boy, Justin, finally arrived.

Downstairs she heard Jarod making a lot of racket in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Finishing off her cup of coffee she went upstairs to join him. They were busy for another few hours completing the last of the preparations, when they heard a car pull up. Looking through the thin curtain, Madchen saw the bulky form of a dark SUV pull up in the drive.

"They're here. Your Dad looks like he's unpacking Noah's arc down there," Madchen commented as she turned to her husband.

"Okay, this is going to take a bit. He had this reunion all planned out, and he's not going to be happy," Jarod answered as he caught her eye and held her gaze for a few long seconds of unspoken intimacy. He then treated her to his trademark smirk before disappearing through the door.

Jarod met his father enthusiastically just outside the front door. The two men threw their arms around each other and hugged tightly for a few seconds. When they separated the same process was repeated with Justin. Stepping back from the embrace, Jarod took a breath and said, "Dad, there's been a change of plans."

Looking up at his oldest son, Major Charles stopped what he was doing as he looked into the sorrowful expression in his son's eyes. "What's happened? Are you mother and sister all right? Has something happened to them?" the major asked anxiously.

"No, nothing has happened to them. They got here two days ago; I sent them ahead to a safe house with Ethan. Let's leave this stuff inside the truck for now and talk inside," Jarod offered as he opened the door and waited for them to follow him inside.

"What's going on Jarod? Has the Centre found out where we are?" Justin asked nervously as his eyes scanned the front yard half expecting to see a sweeper jump out from behind a nearby bush.

Once inside the spacious living room Jarod answered cryptically, "Yes and no. Ethan started getting warnings from the voices that the Centre was on our trail. I checked the email traffic between the Triumvirate and Raines and confirmed that the pursuit had been redirected again; this time you and Dad are the targets. They are hoping to capture you two and use your kidnapping as a lure to get me and Miss Parker to give ourselves up."

The major was skeptical. "How would capturing us lure Miss Parker back to the Centre are we even sure that she's actually left?"

"Ethan and I spent over a month with her, she's definitely left and they are so desperate to get her back that they are willing to use the two of you as an incentive. The Centre underestimated her, they think that she needed my help to escape, and since she continues to be successful in eluding them, they are convinced that we're together. They want to use both of you to get to me and eventually to get to her. Part of that email traffic also indicated that someone from the Centre has been on your trail, they got a lead on you while you were in New Orleans. If their 'finder' is any good then he should be on his way here."

"Great, just great!" Major Charles viciously kicked a duffle bag that was resting at his feet.

"Then you must have a plan to throw him off our trail or else you would have warned us away instead of sending Mom and Emily away to a safe house. Is there anything we can do to help you?" Justin said with a quiet determination that matched Jarod's.

"No, I have everything under control. I have set up a trap to hold the operative here for a few days while we disappear. What I need the two of you to do is to strip out of the clothes you have on now and leave all your ID and credit cards in the bathroom down the hall," said Jarod nodding in the direction of the hall behind him. "I have set up new identities for both of you, there are some fresh clothes in there for you also. I want to examine everything you brought along with you, there maybe a tracking device hidden in your things or possibly a tracking program was placed on your credit account."

"We'll do that right now, can we at least assist you in checking our things?" the major asked.

"We don't have time for that, I don't know how far behind the Centre is." Jarod pointed out gravely. "Once you're changed, I'll give you your airline tickets and the keys to my rental car so you can catch the plane in Eugene."

"You're not coming with us?" Justin asked.

"No, the trap I've set requires someone to be here to make sure the prey has been caught. I'll follow you in a day or two once I'm sure their finder will be sufficiently tied up for a few days," Jarod said with an evil grin.

"One of us should stay behind with you, just in case something goes wrong," the major said with some determination of his own.

"Don't worry about me, Dad. I've had some experience in this line of work, besides who said I was going to be here alone?" Jarod replied with a sly smile.

Smiling at his oldest son, the major shook his head. "So you've recruited someone, have you? Is she blonde, brunette or possibly a certain red-head that I know you're partial to?"

Laughing happily at how easily his father read him Jarod responded, "She's a brunette and very capable."

"So where are we going, and will Mom and Emily be meeting us?" Justin asked.

"You're getting to be a lot like Emily, you know that? She asked me almost the same thing. Yes, one of them should meet you, though I think it will be Ethan. You'll meet up with them in Maine, we've rented a large house on one of the islands off the coast," he said as he studied both their faces.

"So it's Maine that we're headed to, when does the plane leave?" the major inquired.

"I left an itinerary on the front seat of the car so you'll know where to meet Ethan. Your plane leaves in about 3 hours." Looking at his clone he continued, "that's just enough time for you to grab some sandwiches on your way out." He smiled knowing how hungry he always was at that age.

"What about the rest of our stuff?" Justin asked as he and Jarod followed their father to the bathroom.

"I'll examine everything. If there aren't any tracking devices or anything else nefarious that the Centre could use to track you, then we'll bring it with us when we're finished here."


Later that night after Major Charles and Justin had left for the airport in Eugene and most of their belongings had been carefully searched, Jarod and Madchen took a well-deserved break.

"Where did you go with Dad's truck this afternoon? I heard you pull away but I couldn't reach the front before you were out of the driveway"

"I went into town, I needed to pick up a few things. Since all their stuff appears to be clear of any tracking devices, the only thing I could imagine they would use to track your father is something a little more obvious, like his credit card activity," she said trying to avoid giving the reason why she went into town.

"I was thinking the same thing. It had to have been a coincidence when they were spotted by a Centre employee who forwarded the information to the finder, all he had to do was tag the account for the credit card used in the shop and follow them from there. It was just bad luck that they had chose that particular shop to buy swim shorts," Jarod said. "If he's any good, then he should arrive in a day or two like another human bloodhound I got to know," he said with a grin.

"Ah, the bad old days, how can I ever forget?" she asked with some feeling.

"I would love nothing better than to help you with that. Now, my efforts may not be entirely successful, but I'm fairly certain that you won't be bored," he said with a wolfish leer.

Laughing at the reminder of the first time they were together she said, "Oh, I doubt you could ever bore me." She reached over and grabbed him.


Checking the angle of the mirror for the last time, they both decided that everything was ready for their Centre 'guest'. They checked and double-checked all their preparations; when the ever-careful Jarod was completely satisfied they turned in for the night setting the perimeter alarms to an extra sensitivity in case their 'guest' should arrive earlier than expected.

Madchen came out of the bathroom after her shower prepared for bed. Jarod was already under the covers and waiting patiently for her to join him. Looking at him she marveled at how much her life has changed and continues to change in such an incredibly short period of time. Shaking her head in amazement, she lifted the covers and joined him. Immediately his arm encircled her waist has he shifted to his side to look at her.

"Is everything alright with you? You seem more distracted than usual today," he asked gently.

"Sure I'm fine," she replied hesitantly. Looking into his dark eyes she knew that she had to tell him her news. "When I went to town earlier today, I stopped at the drug store on a hunch."

"A hunch? What were you looking for?"

"I had my suspicions before I left for Maine, and this morning I couldn't stand it any more, I had to find out for sure, so I brought a few do-it-yourself tests, I just got my third positive result, " she began as she shifted her gaze from his eyes to the ceiling. "Jarod I'm reasonably sure that I'm pregnant."

Jarod blinked, nonplussed by her admission. He stared at her without saying a word his mind was spinning. He turned over onto his back again and stared at the ceiling also, shaking his head he rolled over and reaching for her he gently turned her head so she was facing him again. A large, deliriously happy smile started in his eyes and spread across his face.

"I'm going to be a father. You're having our child, this is incredible," he said wide-eyed and awestruck.

She nodded slowly then started to laugh and blinking tears of relief, she threw herself completely into his arms as they celebrated the new life they were about to bring into the world.


The next morning an argument started about what her role should now be in the capture of the Center operative. She was determined that nothing should change. It was she that the Centre wanted and since they had already grossly underestimated her, she wanted to use that to their advantage.

"Jarod, if he sees you, then he's going to expect a trap and take off before we can spring it on him. When he sees me, he'll just think that he hit the mother load and make a grab for me. The mirrors ensure that he won't lay a paw on me," she reasoned as patiently as she could.

"I don't want to take any chances not with your health. Just because that email said it was Mr. White that was sent, he could be trigger-happy and you could still get hurt. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to you." Jarod insisted.

"This is the same argument you gave when I first interjected myself into your scenario. Darling, I will be very careful. I was a Centre operative myself and I had on numerous occasions the dubious honor of chasing your sorry butt all over the world and falling into most of your traps."

"That was different, you weren't pregnant and you weren't on my side of the trap." He continued to insist emphatically.

Waving at him to shut up, she stood at one of the upstairs windows that looked out over onto the front drive and saw a white Lexus slowly cruise past the house. She couldn't get a look at the driver because the windows were tinted, but she was fairly certain that he was their quarry.

"He's here, he just cruised by to check things out. Let's get ready, the plan stays the way we originally agreed; no changes," she said using her no nonsense voice reminding him of the old Parker. She walked away to get into position before he could change his mind.


The house was quiet as he squeezed his form through the barely opened door. The lock was laughingly easy to pick. Looking at the house he realized that because of its size he might not be able to hear where all the occupants were located. He had spotted the dark SUV parked in the driveway and knew it was the same vehicle the major had been driving.

Mr. White took a cautious look around the empty kitchen. His piercing glance took in the dirty dishes piled in the sink and the box of pop tarts that were left on the counter. He smiled in spite of himself this was going relatively smoothly. He would be happy to have the major and the boy safely tied up in the back of their own vehicle and on their way back to the Centre. The change in management had made his job decidedly more unpleasant than necessary. After this job was completed he had made plans for his own disappearance. No one was going to find him or be able to blackmail him like the Parker woman.

He heard noises and heavy footsteps upstairs. Still being extremely cautious, Mr. White put his ear to the kitchen door fearing someone might be coming to the kitchen for a snack. When everything continued to be silent, he quietly slipped through the sliding kitchen pocket door.
Mr. White could hear the young boy talking to his father, asking him a question. It sounded like they were in one of the bedrooms. He debated on whether or not to make a noise downstairs to prompt them to come to him. He decided against it, he didn't want them to run thinking the noise was made by exactly who they thought it was being made by. White silently considered the stairs and shaking his head in disgust and resignation, he slowly started to climb them extracting a large dart gun from his jacket.

The conversation between the boy and major continued intermittently. As he was about to crest the stairs, White ducked down so he wouldn't readily be seen by anyone looking out from a bedroom door. Turning to his right where the boy's voice was coming from, White decided to tackle him first. The Centre's finder crept silently down the hallway; at the end of it there was a door. The boy's voice was coming from a nearby bedroom, as he placed his hand on the doorknob someone suddenly appeared in the hall. It was the Parker woman, her eyes widened in surprise and she dashed immediately through the door at the end of the hall before White's dart could hit her.

Knowing the game was up, White rushed headlong after her. She was his primary target he didn't care about the others, but was still wary of their interference. When he got to the door he realized his mistake. Looking up he saw the mirror sitting strategically against the wall making it appear that someone was standing in the main hall instead of in front of one of the other doors.

He turned around towards the way he had come and found himself face to face with the infamous Miss Parker. She was about 6 feet from him when White raised his dart gun and aimed it at her chest. She was wearing a strange outfit; a dark loose fitting, long sleeve shirt that was tucked into matching pants made of a soft cotton-like material.

Staring at her, knowing that something was wrong he paused for no more than half a second, another mistake. A sharp pain shot up his arm when she made a swift, graceful move and a long wooden stick connected with his arm. The dart gun was still held fast in his hand when a second blow encouraged him to loosen his grip.

The Parker woman was wielding the thick stick strangely, almost like it was a sword. It was held with both her hands almost in the same manner as a batter in a baseball game; the weapon was at the ready again. Her stance was vaguely familiar to White, and then he remembered seeing a kendo master giving a demonstration. He realized she was holding the bokken exactly like the master had in the demonstration. It was obvious that she was an expert in its use. Hazarding a look into her eyes, he knew that he was out-matched. He was forced to revert to trying psychological pressure. He had thoroughly read her confidential file; which included her many emotional weaknesses-namely her connection with certain people in her life and an obsession with her mother's untimely death.

"You don't want to do that, I can tell you not only who killed your mother, but who ordered it as well," he offered. He saw her pause with satisfaction.

"Is that all you have to offer, because that's old news. Looks like they haven't updated my file in some time," Madchen said with equal amounts of sarcasm and disdain. "You don't have anything of value to offer, I'm not Jarod looking for my long lost family."

"I have plenty to offer you. Such as why the Centre is so anxious to get you back," he paused for effect before dangling another carrot. "I know that he's been helping you. Imagine how grateful he would be if you were the one who provided him with the information that lead to the discovery of his mother," White replied with a sly grin.

"Figures they would assume that I couldn't stay hidden without Genius-boy's help. Well, here's the good news: Jarod found me about two months ago, he never helped me leave or cover my tracks."

"What's the bad news?" Just a slight tendril of worry was creeping into his voice.

"Jarod's mine now and I've never been good at sharing. The bad news for you is that there is a medieval jibbet with your name written all over it just waiting for an occupant," said Madchen, thoroughly disgusted with White's posturing. With a few swift moves she hit him several times with the bokken, leaving him battered and unable to stand. She then shoved him through the door they had planned on him going through.


When Mr. White woke up, he found himself suspended no more than a few inches from the floor. He was completely naked save his boxer shorts. From what he could tell, he was completely encased in a medieval torture trap that was suspended from the ceiling by an extremely thick rope. The device was a metal cage molded into the shape of a body with its arms outstretched. He was being kept quiet by a leather strap tied around his head.

"It's about time you woke up. The sedative you planned on shooting me up with was more powerful than what we gave you," Madchen said conversationally.

He would have answered her, would have liked to, but the strap prevented him from even opening his mouth.

Seeing his attempt to talk, she looked at him impassively. "Don't bother, I'm not interested in anything you have to say. To set the record straight, I watched the DSA that contained the details of my mother's death; as for project Progeny, unless Raines has some strange plans for my twin, he's fresh out of luck." She turned her attention to the pile of clothes that had been striped from him. Briefly rifling through the expensive pile she found what she was looking for; his cell phone. Holding it up so he could see what she had, she gave him a cold smile, "It's truly amazing what that boy of mine can find on the Internet. The jibbet was his idea, whatever you did to piss him off, well if I were you, I would avoid Jarod like the plague.

"Now I wonder what Lyle will do when he sees you hanging like that," she said eying him speculatively. "That's one conniving cannibal I wouldn't want finding me, especially if I was left hanging helpless but you're in luck, I hear that he only eats Asian women. Tell Raines and Lyle that I hope they can keep each other company in Hell, my exit has come up and I'm not interested in joining them down the same tired road."

She left him dangling, wondering if they meant for him to die like this. He was kept wondering for about four days, the time Jarod estimated it would take for him to dehydrate, before a team of sweepers showed up and cut him down in disgrace. All Lyle could offer him was a calculating glare as he thought up ways to deflect this latest failure entirely on White's sore shoulders.




The Centre
Blue Cove, DE


"This latest failure doesn't look well on your record, Mr. Lyle. It also doesn't bode well for your future with the Centre," Raines said as he stared across his desk at the seated Mr. Lyle.

"If you read my after-action report, you would see that Mr. White's failure to keep me apprised of what he was doing was the reason the Pretender and my sister got away. A sweeper team would have been able to subdue them."

"We will now have to resort to our contingency plan. Unfortunately we will be unable to implement it until either Jarod or Miss Parker makes contact with Sydney."

"On that score, I believe that I can be of some assistance. Mr. White informed me that Parker took his cell phone with her and made sure that he saw her do it. She wouldn't have done that unless she wanted us to make contact." Lyle said smoothly and was outwardly impassive as the dark gleam in Raines' eyes sparked brighter.

"That piece of information was left out of your report. Very good, Mr. Lyle I believe that we will be able to make good use of that cell phone. Where have you put Mr. White?"

"He's in the Renewal Wing being re-hydrated, and it seems he has developed a temporary case of claustrophobia. He will be properly remonstrated for his lapse of judgment as soon as he is healthy enough to survive it."

"This latest development presents an interesting opportunity, an opportunity that I choose to use to our greatest advantage. There are other inducements that can be offered to lure Miss Parker back into the fold. Is there anything else that you neglected to include in your report?"

"Mr. White also informed me that Sis and Jarod are an item. She told him that she left without Jarod's help but apparently he was more successful than we have been in tracking her down. I'm not sure what else she did to him but there were some strange marks on Mr. White when we found him. The doctor's are at a loss to identify the item that caused the marks and White is singularly uninterested in letting us in on the secret," Lyle said as he looked expectantly at Mr. Raines. "I take it that the timetable is still an issue?" Lyle continued deeply interested in how Raines would answer.

"Yes, it is still an issue, but your sister has left the door open just enough that we may have a chance to yank her back through and onto our side," Raines replied closely watching Lyle and trying to read his reactions through that mask of impassivity.

Sensing the interview was over Lyle got up languidly and prepared to leave. "I'll get back to work, if Jarod could track her down, then we should be able to also," Lyle said with fake confidence. What he intended to do was to return to the Renewal Wing and continue White's interrogation. There were a few tidbits of information that the finder still possessed and Lyle was determined to find out for himself what they were, preferably without any witnesses.



Island cabin
Off the Maine coast


It had been two days since Jarod and Madchen had left Mr. White dangling in the medieval cage. When they finally reached Maine, they spent the night with Ben at his inn. Ben had been more than happy to look after Oliver for them and the reunion for the three of them was sweet. They told Ben about their marriage. He was surprised at first but then congratulated them sincerely concluding that his first impression of them had been accurate after all. He saw them off late in the morning after giving the three a lift to the coast where they could rent a boat that would take them to the island.

The air was clear and warm when they stepped off the boat. They took their time getting to the cabin, opting instead to explore the area surrounding the dock and taking a circuitous route. They knew they were delaying the inevitable but were busy enjoying the view and each other's company. When they finally arrived at the cabin they paused and looked at it. Oliver who was hungry again, continued ahead of them. They looked at each other and kissed lingeringly knowing they were about to make at least 4 people unhappy campers once they entered the cabin. Opening the screen door for the patiently waiting Oliver, they followed him inside.

"Hey there, big brother. You two sure did take your time getting here," Ethan said with a wide grin.

Jarod returned the welcoming greeting with a smile, "So did everyone arrive okay?" He looked around into the living room and saw his family gathered there. The front curtains had been pulled back to allow the morning's sunshine to stream through and had offered a wonderful view of their reassuring kiss.

"Yes we're all here, did your plan go well? What did you do to the Centre's sweeper?" Justin asked as he looked from Jarod to Madchen.

"We strung him up in a medieval jibbet. There was no way for him to get out until someone released him. We contacted the Centre and let them know where to find him. Nothing like low tech to keep someone immobilized for as long as you like," Jarod said with a laugh.

"Who's your friend, Jarod?" Emily asked smiling, feeling her brother's unintended rudeness in not immediately introducing the tall woman they all saw him kissing in the front yard.

Madchen stood next to Jarod quietly, wondering how long it would take for them to recognize her. She wasn't in her usual style clothing; she was wearing a white silk, short sleeved, camp-style blouse and faded jeans. A pair of dark sunglasses concealed her eyes and her hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail.

"Miss Parker, is that you?" Justin asked before Jarod had a chance to answer Emily. He walked up to her in anticipation.

Treating him to a genuine smile she answered the younger version of Jarod. "Yes it is. My, you have grown a lot since the last time I saw you. You look handsome." She placed a hand on his shoulder as she gazed into his eyes.

"Thanks, you look different than you did back at the Centre. Actually you look terrific," he said with a smile of his own.

Sensing the abrupt change in the atmosphere of the room, Justin turned around and noticed the shocked and alarmed expressions on their faces.

Madchen removed her sunglasses as Jarod spoke while he perched on the arm of the couch. "I wanted to tell all of you at once what was going on in my life. Parker and I are together, it happened when Ethan and I visited her. She's finally escaped the Centre, for good," he said with a wider smile as he looked at her with obvious affection. "We got married in Reno 3 weeks ago, this has been the happiest time of my life," Jarod stated, the honesty and understatement of his words were obvious from his expression.

A heavy silence followed his announcement. It was pretty much the way Madchen had suspected they would take the news. The air was full of unspoken comments and unexpressed dismay. She stood steadily beside Jarod and catching his eye they stared at each other, communicating without saying a word. This silent conversation was picked up on by everyone in the room.

Madchen finally raised an eyebrow and breaking the eye contact she looked around and spotted Oliver sitting quietly on Ethan's lap. She stepped over to them and easily lifted Oliver into her arms.

"Come on little man, we're going on a picnic," she told the child softly.

"Are we going to have Devil's food?" Oliver asked, wanting her special concoction that made her picnic sandwiches such a big hit with both Ethan and Jarod.

"Ummm, no, but I tell you what. We'll take the boat to the mainland and walk over to a diner I spotted on the way here. We'll get a tuna sandwich and one of those flavored, sugary, frozen drinks you and daddy like so well," she said as she looked into her wallet for some money.

"They're called Icee's and they're very good." Justin offered longingly, they were a favorite of his also. He would prefer going with her than staying there. He held no grudges against Miss Parker she had always been nice to him in the short time he was acquainted with her.

"But I want the Devil's food, mommy," Oliver persisted.

"I'm sorry, baby. Jarod, I need some money for the sandwiches. I forgot that I insisted on paying for the taxi ride to Ben's," she said quietly realizing how domesticated she was sounding.

Jarod smiled at her, catching on to the reason for her sudden awkward uneasiness. He pulled out two bills from his wallet and handed the $40 over to her. Looking up at Oliver, he gave the child a small smile that encouraged the toddler to play peek-a-boo. Oliver ducked his head and buried his face in his mother's neck.

"Go ahead, rub it in," Jarod said wistfully, he wished he could do that right now.

Barely suppressing the laugh that Jarod's comment prompted, she turned her head and lightly pulled Oliver from her neck. Looking into Oliver's eyes she continued, "why don't we take the sandwiches and Icees and camp out on the sand and watch the waves? We'll pick a nice cool spot, how does that sound?"

"Wonderful," Emily muttered with feeling. She looked up to find everyone looking at her. 'Apparently I said that a little louder than I intended,' she thought wryly.

"Miss Parker, would you mind if I joined you?" Justin asked hopefully.

Looking at the eager look on his face that reminded her of Jarod she said with another smile. "The more the merrier."

Margaret, who had remained silent since Jarod dropped his bombshell, spoke up. "Your name is Madchen, isn't it?"

"Yes, I've changed my identity but I still go my given name," she answered having assumed that Ethan told them her name.

"Your mother once remarked that only she called you by that name," Margaret paused for a few seconds. "You don't remember meeting me do you?" Margaret asked.

"Should I?" she asked narrowing her eyes.

"Lord, it's been so long ago. You were just a little girl, not much older than your son," she commented nodding at Oliver. "Your mother introduced us when you were no more than 4 or 5. It was about a year after Jarod and Kyle were taken from us when I met your mother. I was deeply depressed and she was being so kind," Margaret said. "Of course you were too little to remember. I asked your mother to tell me about her daughter she was reluctant at first, she didn't want to make matters worse, but then she started telling me stories of your antics, she made you sound like so much fun."

Margaret got up and walked over to the massive fireplace. She looked at her husband and seeing the inquiring look in his eyes, she continued, "I asked Catherine if she would bring her daughter by so that I could see her. Catherine could see the desperation in my eyes. I wanted, no needed is a better word, to see a healthy, happy child. She brought you to a restaurant in Boston she said she told her husband some story about wanting to spend more time with you. You were a bundle of energy, practically humming with it. Seeing you, I was so nervous. I remember pulling you into my lap and you looked at me with those huge, gray eyes and asked me why was I so sad. I almost lost it right there in the restaurant." Margaret paused.

"We talked throughout the meal. Catherine just watched us quietly; knowing that having you there was therapeutic. It was obvious that you were very intelligent like Jarod. You questioned everything and eventually pointed out that some people at the next table left some money behind."

"You taught me the 'philosophy of tipping'. How to tip a server is very important, almost as important as how much you give them." Madchen recited almost by rote as she looked at Margaret with disbelief. "Auntie Maggie?" she said softly, as she lowered Oliver to the floor.

Margaret smiled at the younger woman and opened her arms to her. Madchen blinked, her eyes wide with confusion. She then stepped into Margaret's embrace saying, "I always wondered what happened to you. I had no idea that you were Jarod's mother."

"There was no way for you to know, you were too young then, there are so many things I've wanted to tell you. I heard that your father had taken you away and when I found out that you were the one chosen to chase my son, I didn't know what to do." Pulling out of their embrace, Margaret looked at Madchen and covering her face with her hands she shook her head and said, "now this, you've married my son. Give me a little time to adjust to this twist in fate. I had almost convinced myself that what we had been told of the predictions were just stories."

Turning with a hand on her forehead, Madchen looked at Jarod and shrugged at the coincidence, he tilted his head and looked at both women. His and Madchen's lives were always connected, and were turning out to be more connected than he could have imagined.



*Two weeks later*


In the days following Jarod's startling revelation, the newlyweds discovered that they had both accurately predicted his family's reaction to their marriage. Madchen was correct about their initial reaction to the news. Their shock was evident and their dismay and wariness showed in their eyes. However Jarod was also correct in that after the first shock wore off and they gave themselves a chance to get to know her they would start to like her. It took a few uncomfortable days but it soon became clear to them that the relationship contained a special bond between the couple. It was the kind of bond that answered the needs of both in friendship and trust. The fact that Jarod was simply crazy about Madchen and vice versa forced the family, especially his parents to accept Jarod's wisdom and embrace his choice of wife.

Emily was the chief beneficiary of Jarod's addition. She had often wondered what it would be like to have a sister. In Madchen she finally got her opportunity and took full advantage of it as soon as possible. Madchen seldom had female friends but she found Emily to be a wonderful and intelligent companion, one that she didn't feel the need to compete with, and they quickly became close. Jarod watched their friendship with astonishment as he saw previously long buried aspects of Madchen's personality reemerge. The beauty of her true self, sans façade, was now shared with others instead of being exclusive to only him, Ethan and Oliver.

The now combined family was finally enjoying their vacation home. They usually spent time together or would break up into two separate groups: one would be playing in the sand or wading in the water and the other sitting around on the porch with its swing or inside the living room with its generous window watching the others.

Madchen was curled up on the couch taking a nap while the others milled around her when a nightmare took hold of her. Justin was the first to notice her distress while he was waiting for his mother to refill the cooler with lemonade for the others who were wading in the water. He was getting impatient when he heard a low, sorrowful moan. He looked behind him and saw Madchen writhing in her sleep. He quickly forgot the lemonade and went to her side. Her face was soaked in sweat and she was murmuring softly. Justin quickly got a dampened cloth from the downstairs bathroom and gently brushed the sweat from her face. This seemed to calm her some and he stood up from his ministrations with a worried look on his face. He too had been a victim of numerous nightmares, it seemed to be a recurrent theme with anyone associated with the Centre. He had taken only a few steps away when Madchen let out a bloodcurdling cry and sat up. Her scream startled everyone in the house as they rushed to her side. Justin leaped back to her and grasping her shoulders he gently shook the frightened woman, then pulled her into a comforting embrace.

"It's okay now Madchen, you're safe now I promise," he repeated a couple times until she abruptly woke up. Taking a deep breath she pulled from his embrace looked into Justin's sympathetic eyes and smiled weakly at him.

"I'm sorry, did I frighten you? I sometimes have bad dreams and call out in my sleep," she explained. When Justin moved to sit on the living room table, she stretched slightly and swung her legs to the floor. Looking up she saw everyone looking at her worriedly.

"I guess I made more noise than I usually do," she said trying to make light of her violent nightmare.

"Do you usually have nightmares like that? It sounded like something Jarod or Justin usually suffer from," the major said compassionately.

"Not too often, I think it's rule eleven in the bad-guys handbook: nightmares, mandatory," she said with a kind smile trying to use humor to assuage his worry.

"Would it help to talk about it? " Emily asked.

"No, bad dreams are the first thing they hand out at the Centre. It usually doesn't happen when I'm with Jarod."

"Are they bad dreams about your mother's death?" the major pressed. He was still very curious about this fierce young woman whom he just recently found out possessed a rare brand of kindness.

"I'm that obvious? You would think that I would have gotten over her perfidy by now," Madchen said sadly.

"Your mother betrayed you? How? Catherine was the kindest, most devoted woman I've ever known," Margaret, replied alarmed and almost angry.

"The day my mother 'died' she brushed my hair that morning, gave me a present and took me with her to the Centre. A few hours later I saw her go into one of the elevators, then shots rang out. I ran over to where she was and I saw her lying crumpled on the floor of the elevator. That day an important part of me died," Madchen said mournfully.

"How horrible, to see your mother die practically right in front of you," Emily said softly as her imagination was assaulted by a wave of empathy for Madchen.

"That's the kicker. For most of my life I've been fed one lie after another. First I was told that she committed suicide, a tale that never quite sat well with me, but I believed it for over 20 years. Then Jarod uncovered one small piece of evidence after another pointing to the truth; that she had been murdered. Last year Broots and I found two damaged DSA's at Raines' forest house that showed her alive and trusting Raines a few months after she faked her suicide." Madchen finished feeling almost ashamed to voice what had been plaguing her for so many months.

"Did you ever find out how she really died? " Justin asked.

"Yes, the other DSA showed her death at Raines' hand. He shot her immediately after she gave birth to Ethan," Madchen replied. Glancing at the grave expression on Margaret's face she continued, "Aunt Maggie, would you have exposed Emily to your faked suicide, knowing she would hear the shots and do everything in her power to get to you? Or would you have done whatever was necessary to spare her that, make sure she had to be at a piano lesson, say or perhaps a dance lesson instead?"

Margaret's face changed and she lowered her eyes allowing Madchen's grief and confusion to wash over her. She quietly choked out a reply, "No, I wouldn't have done that." Major Charles clinched his jaw to control his own emotions and shook his head in answer that he too wouldn't have put any of his children through that kind of useless trauma.

The room was solemnly quiet as each occupant silently came to terms in their own way to what Madchen had said. After a few minutes of stillness Margaret spoke, "Madchen, there is something that I need to tell you. Your mother didn't forget about you, she had a plan in place, a contingency plan unfortunately it failed."

Jarod, Ethan and Oliver entered the room as Margaret made the last admission. They finally came in after waiting in vain for Justin to return with the lemonade. Seeing the solemn faces in the living room, Jarod immediately whisked a sleepy Oliver upstairs where he could get started on his nap. When he returned, he saw Ethan sitting next to Madchen on the couch and he sat perched on the arm of the sofa next to his wife.

"Just before I lost contact with Catherine, she asked me to help her. When we discovered the scrolls' existence, she asked me to take you and raise you as my own if anything happened to her. She was certain that her life was in danger and she wanted me to rescue you. She gave me a letter that she wrote to you explaining her plan and why it was necessary. She had been dead for almost a year before I heard about her death. I was in hiding myself when the news reached me. By the time I was able to make it to Delaware, I found that I was just in time to see your exile. The sense of failure I felt ate at me. The last time I saw you, your small face was so sad and your father shoved you into the back of a black limo and sped away before I could kidnap you," Margaret said wryly.

"I hung around anyway to see if I could figure out where he was taking you. I ingratiated myself with one of your father's maids. She told me that you had been sent abroad because of some indiscretion on your part, she hinted that it was sexual in nature. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what a sheltered twelve year old could do that would have been so terrible. All I could remember was the sweet child who did the impossible and made me laugh when she was just 4 years old, so I couldn't believe what I was being told. I followed you to Switzerland but there were too many guards around you, I finally gave up. I'm so very sorry," Margaret said tearfully.

"Thanks, for letting me know. Somehow that makes me feel a lot better; it's not your fault you couldn't get to me. What you were planning is exactly what Daddy was afraid of, or at least that's what he told me," Madchen replied. "How would you like to hear about my so called indiscretion?" she asked with a smile. Margaret returned the smile weakly and nodded gratefully as she wiped the tears from her face.

"One day in the Centre I sneaked into an observation alcove above one of the sim labs. I looked down and saw one of the doctors teaching a lab rat how to dance. I saw him being taught waltzes, and other formal dances, nothing modern or up to date. I thought I had gone unobserved and when the lesson ended I waited patiently for them to leave. I was just about satisfied that no one would see me leave when I felt a hand on my shoulder, I almost jumped out of my skin. When I turned around I found it was the lab rat who had just finished his lesson. We were fairly good friends so we started chatting away immediately," she said with a smile of remembrance.

He asked her if she were interested in learning the dances he had just been taught. She shook her head and replied that real teenagers only danced like that when they were forced to, she softened her comment with an insouciant smile. He accepted her comment and asked her if she knew how to dance. She replied in the affirmative and added that she had also learned ballet but hadn't had lessons in quite some time, ever since her mother's death. She averted her eyes so the boy wouldn't see the raw pain she still felt. The boy was silent for a few seconds and asked if she would show him what she had learned.

They entered the darkened sim lab that the boy had just left. He stood just inside the perimeter of the open area he had been practicing in just a few minutes before. He watched in awe as she pirouetted, leaped and glided across the floor. She was caught off guard by the amazed look on his face and lost her balance. Before she hit the floor the boy, seeing that she had lost her balance rushed across and broke her fall. They were in a tangle on the floor when her father walked into the room.

"Well, Daddy chose that particular moment to walk in on us. What he saw was two preteens sprawled and tangled up together on the floor. He went into a cold fusion melt down, he dragged me away by the shoulder. When we got home I asked him what did I do wrong, he hit me so hard, I could feel the welt begin to form on my face," Madchen said with a laugh.

"That was the first time I heard the terms lab rat, science experiments and Centre property being applied to human beings. I was being punished for interfering with important work. Then Daddy held up one of my school notebooks. In it I had doodled on several of the pages the name of the boy I fell on, I was suffering from a harmless crush. That's when Daddy presented me with the first of our numerous deals; I was to return with him the next day and break it off with my first boyfriend and to do it in no uncertain terms. In exchange, Daddy promised that he wouldn't take his wrath out on the boy and beat him senseless which he reminded me would be a waste of Centre resources that I would have to make up. I obviously agreed.

"The next day, I went to see my young friend. We met in one of the darkened sim rooms; he immediately embraced me, asked if I were okay and then started yammering on about finally knowing that I was the one. He was certain of it the minute I landed on top of him. He knew that when we were older we would be married and have children. Well, that's when something in my head snapped, I started laughing. You know that hiccupping laugh one gets when they are just on the brink of complete hysteria.

"Well he was hurt, I could see it in his face. Before I could stop myself from laughing and explain, Daddy entered the room and dragged me out. From the proud and pleased look in his face, I knew I must have crushed that poor kid's heart. I ignored the shame I felt and the slow erosion my own heart was suffering and returned home. The next morning you saw me getting packed away to Switzerland," Madchen concluded slightly shocked that everyone in the room was hanging on her every word.

"What was the name you wrote in your notebook?" Emily asked wondering if Madchen knew if the boy were still alive or not.

Before Madchen could answer, Jarod said, "you never told me that before. I'm glad I was right, you're still the one for me, we're married and your pregnant."

"Oh my God, it was you? Jarod, you were the boy she was involved with before getting shipped to boarding school?" Margaret started to laugh at the convoluted coincidences, her laughter was infectious and soon she had everyone laughing with her.

When the laughter calmed down some the major asked with a smile, "so when were you two going to tell us about the baby?"


The next morning started as usual, the family woke up fairly early to start the day, fussing and teasing Madchen about her pregnancy. By midday almost everyone was enjoying a luncheon picnic out on the sand. Inside the house, Madchen was talking incessantly on her cell phone; first in rapid fire Japanese to someone who was obviously a friend, then to the manager of her restaurant in Iowa. A minor emergency had cropped up that needed her attention and she was busy giving her manager specific instructions about what was to be done, she also insisted that he frequently visit and deliver a specially made dinner to her elderly neighbor. As she was finishing the call, she noticed Margaret sitting at the breakfast table, waiting for her patiently. Hanging up she asked, "Is there something wrong, Margaret?"

"No, dear nothing is wrong," she replied while her fingers fidgeted with an envelope. "How many languages do you speak?" she asked curiously.

Shrugging in mild confusion, Madchen answered, "six fluently and 2 others fairly well, why do you ask?"

"Just curious," she replied and with a sad sigh to herself to stop stalling she continued, "your mother gave this to me several years ago to give to you in the event I was able to extricate you from your father. I know too many years have passed but I feel it's only right for you to have this," she said, handing the aged and creased envelope to her.

When Madchen delicately took the letter from her hand Margaret gave her an apologetic smile and with the purpose of giving Madchen her privacy she walked outside towards where the others were picnicking. Madchen looked at the envelope for a few long seconds before carefully opening it and removing two folded sheets of paper. She slowly unfolded the sheets unsure if she wanted to have another piece of her twisted past revealed. Almost as if they had a mind of their own her hands gently smoothed the pages straight and she began reading.

An hour later she was still sitting at the breakfast table, now just staring into space. She couldn't believe what Margaret had just handed her. It had been almost a year since she first found out about her mother's plan; she had searched in every place she knew. Now here it was laid out before her, stirring memories and pleading to be acted upon. She released a deep breath she didn't recall holding and made a decision. For all her grief and anger at her mother, she was determined to make sure her last request would be made a reality. Madchen got up and walked to the others with determination.

As she approached the group, they called out to her warmly to join them. She smiled at the familiarity and the uncertain feelings in her breast hardened and made her even more resolute. She walked directly up to Jarod, and crouching down on her haunches, careful not to jostle anyone and faced her husband. Looking directly in his eyes she said simply, "I need your help."

Taking a moment to return her frank gaze, he answered, "What's the matter?"

"I finally was given my mother's plan, her final wishes. I need your help to implement it."

"Alright, it sounds like you have something specific in mind."

"Your right, read this," she said handing him the letter Margaret had given her. "I have a plan of my own, but according to this letter, I've overlooked a few things."

Jarod took the letter and began to read. He scanned the pages again after reading it through. Looking up in awe he said, "are you sure you're ready to do this?"

"You don't know what I have already set up. Let's go inside, I don't want to interrupt everyone's fun," she said noticing that everyone around was paying close attention to their conversation.

Laughing easily Jarod replied, "It's a bit too late for that. You don't know this yet, but you've just joined the ranks of an overprotective family.

"Come on, Wonder-husband, I have some things I need to explain to you, and you're going to need your laptop for this," she smiled as she straightened up. "Anyone else interested in this little endeavor of mine is welcome to join us, but if it were me I would enjoy the beautiful weather.

Once everyone had reassembled in the front living room area and Jarod had his laptop powered up and ready, Madchen began telling him what she needed him to do.

"Just before I left the Centre I had Broots and Angelo formulate two different computer viruses designed to selectively delete certain files and then corrupt all the remaining data in the Centre's various mainframes. Jarod, what I need you to do is to design a program that will redirect the funds in each account my mother talks about in her letter to another anonymous account where the funds can then be reallocated and distributed to various charities."

"I think I can come up with something along those lines," he gave her his trademark smirk. "I can make it difficult to detect right away and virtually impossible to stop."

"Perfect, that's exactly what I need. I think I'm beginning to understand why Daddy and his minions never wanted us to have any relationships they couldn't control," she replied treating him to her own mischievous grin.

"There is one problem. According to your mother's letter there are hidden assets in numerous financial institutions as well as shell companies. She alludes that you know which companies and banks were used but without the specific account numbers this could take some time to figure out which accounts belong specifically to the Centre."

"That's the one thing my mother planned ahead for that had a reasonable chance of success. She had me memorize all the account numbers, access codes, passwords and the names of the people who handled the accounts for each shell company. She made me promise never to tell Daddy what we had done. I still remember all that stuff she gave me," she replied pensively. "It was only after reading her letter that I realized the import of what she had me do, it is the last thing that connects me to her, besides hearing her voice in my head occasionally."

"Madchen there are almost a thousand different accounts she refers to, how could you memorize all that information?" he asked perplexed.

"And not ever become one of Raines' science projects? Momma said that was part of the secret of what made me special. She didn't want anyone to know about it and made me promise to hide the fact that learning was easy, especially from Daddy. I heard one of the doctors who evaluated me tell her that I had superior analytical skills, something most toddlers didn't possess. She wanted to protect me from being used and wasn't too confident in Daddy's willingness to keep Raines' at bay. Believe me, my memory made school a total bore," she smiled affectionately at his astonishment.

"Okay, let me get to work on the program, and then we can get into placing a trigger in each account," Jarod stated already becoming absorbed in solving the problem in hand.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Justin asked eager to be a part of anything that would hurt the Centre.

"Well, as a matter of fact there is. I want to divert all the funds from at least eight sleeper accounts into highly secured and confidential Canadian accounts. Those will be my contingency plans, just in case anything goes wrong." Madchen replied as she watched Margaret play quietly with Oliver.




*Three days later*
The Centre
Blue Cove, DE



"I was unaware there was a change in leadership at the Triumvirate. Any idea who the big noise is and why they felt it necessary to breathe down our necks personally?" Lyle asked feigning unconcern.

"Our job is to protect the Centre Mr. Lyle. Whatever the new Triumvirate head should want than I for one will make sure he is pacified," Raines rasped looking genuinely unconcerned.

"Then what is the problem that brings him here to our humble corner of the world?" Lyle asked feeling certain it had something to do with Progeny.

"Your sister's coincidental and continued absence at the beginning of a project in which she was the principal participant. The Triumvirate is aware of Progeny and had approved it when she decided on her career change," Raines stated with some venom.

"Really? Silly me, and I thought it had something to do with certain predictions and timetables. There was no coincidence in her disappearance, that computer geek Broots must have stumbled on the file and showed it to her."

"The timetable is narrowing, and your failure to reacquire Miss Parker was a profound disappointment, Lyle."

"I keep reminding you, Mr. White failed to keep me apprised so she slipped from his fingers; he is still in the Renewal Wing recovering from the force of my displeasure. Would you mind sharing the reason for this timetable, perhaps if I knew the nature of it, it would assist in dear Sis's recovery."

Pausing a moment to consider the request, Raines' looked at his most successful sociopath. There was no harm in telling Lyle the scrolls' prediction, especially since any failure in controlling the outcome would fall squarely on his shoulders. Taking a deep, surreptitious breath of bottled air Raines began, "the prediction was simply this; your sister holds the legacy of the Centre in her hands, or more accurately in her womb. The future of the Centre will be her child. To control who the father will be and then subsequently controlling the child itself was of paramount concern to the Triumvirate. I am told the timing was specifically spelled out and the next few weeks are critical. If she is not already pregnant within that time frame then she will never have children."

"Interesting, if I had been told this in the first place, then I would have accompanied Mr. White myself. When White fell into Parker's trap that insured the loss of any more leads on any of Jarod's family and with the fact that she and Jarod are now an item, I seriously doubt that we'll hear from them again." Lyle said contemplatively.

The voice that answered him had a deep, booming quality; one that was familiar and at the same time impossible because it was supposed to be dead. "You're forgetting about the cell phone your sister procured from Mr. White. My Angel is a highly intelligent and capable operative. I'm sure once she is made aware that not all was lost then she will come to her senses and return with Jarod to her rightful home."

Lyle jumped up from the seat he was lounging in as though someone had lit a fire underneath him. He spun around in incredulity and faced the man who claimed to be his father. He looked very well for a man presumed dead from drowning. He had lost a few pounds, but looked the better for it, more fit and domineering in appearance as well as attitude.

Mr. Parker strode purposely towards the desk and ignored Lyle's presence as he stood across the desk looking at his brother who had slowly risen to his feet. With a sepulchral smile he nodded familiarly at Mr. Raines. "Has anyone made contact with my daughter or has she attempted to make contact?" he asked haughtily.

"No Mr. Parker, she hasn't called and I have been waiting for your arrival before making any attempt to contact her," Raines responded sounding as though the words were coming with his last breath.

"Good, then let's get the show on the road. The window of opportunity is closing and we haven't any time to lose. So far the scrolls have been accurate to the last detail, I would be surprised if she isn't already pregnant with Jarod's child as much as that disturbs me. This whole situation should have been closely monitored and controlled," he said accusingly.



Island cabin
Off the Maine coast


The final touches on her plan had been completed. Jarod had been slightly awed at her total recall of the massive amount of information entrusted to her when she was just a toddler. When they finished she felt numb and relieved, the secret she carried with her was finally revealed and would be utilized in a plan so ingenious that she had to smile. The spirit of her mother's plan, which had been annexed onto her own, would see the light of day.

She was quietly talking and teaching Oliver to read when the cell phone she took from Mr. White began to ring. She had it set up on the counter nearby already fitted with an anti-tracing device. The room, which had been filled with raucous voices and laughter abruptly, stilled. Slowly Madchen rose from the floor, walked to the cell phone and answered in her usual Parker manner, "what?"

"Miss Parker, it is so nice to hear your voice. Have you been enjoying your extended vacation?" Raines rasped into the phone.

"I've been waiting for your call, what's taken you so long, someone replace your oxygen with helium?" Madchen asked with sarcasm.

"It's nice to know that you haven't changed in the months you have been away but it's time to come home now," the older man said proprietarily.

Releasing a low, humorless laugh she answered, "it's a little late for the concerned father act Raines, 'Make room for Daddy' doesn't suit you, how Annie ever stomached it is beyond me."

If he had the air, Raines would have sputtered, instead Mr. Parker saw the man turn ashen as an uncontrollable rage seized him and precluded speech. Taking the phone from him, Parker decided that now was the time to reveal himself to his daughter.

Hearing the choking sounds on the other end of the connection, Madchen allowed herself a grim smile of satisfaction. She truly detested Raines and any attempts on his part to try to exert control over her were depraved. She was waiting patiently for Raines to regain his breath when another voice came on the line.

"Angel, is that you?" her father's voice boomed into the receiver.

A door in her mind opened and a flood of emotions transfixed her. Long intensive training, years of blind loyalty and her obsessive need for his approval and love in the face of his many perfidies took hold of her outward appearance and voice. "Daddy? Daddy? Is that you, are you there?" she asked with a convincing note of disbelief and incredulity in her voice.

"Yes Angel it's me. It's good to hear your voice again, believe me I thought I would never hear another friendly voice," he said, confident that he had reestablished control over his daughter. No one understood the bond he had painstakingly established in her since the moment her mother brought her home.

"Daddy," she whispered in awe. "We all thought you were dead, what happened? Are you alright?"

Satisfied by the note of emotional neediness in her voice he answered, "Yes, when I threw myself on the mercy of fate, I was sure I was going to die. Funny thing, when I plunged into the sea I lost my grip on the scrolls, and then I felt a tugging sensation just as I started to sink deeper. Seems I was just a few hundred feet from landing on the deck of a commercial fishing boat. They hauled me out and nursed me back to health."

"My God Daddy. It's so good to hear your voice, I was sure I had lost you," she said almost tearfully.

Pleased with the sound of her voice he decided that now was the time to get her to return home. "Angel, what is this I hear that you left the Centre? I realize that you never got along with Raines but you're my legacy. I need you here to make sure the Parker name remains strong."

"Daddy, you were dead. I saw no point in continuing, the Centre was your dream not mine," she paused for effect then continued, "or Momma's."

"You are my legacy, you're needed here, you're home is here. You're a Parker; no matter how you feel about it the Parkers and the Centre are intertwined. You belong here as much as you belong to it," he said with a sudden flash of anger. "Come back now and it will be like old times, nothing will be said of your absence or temporary loss of faith. I have big plans for you, and it's about time you start living up to them. The chairman's position is waiting for you to occupy it," he said smugly.

"Yes Daddy, I understand, but it's been so long-."

"The sooner you return than the sooner we can start building this corporation into a place that even your mother would be proud of," he interrupted brusquely. "I understand from Lyle that you have caught up with Jarod."

She could hear his avaricious interest over the phone and was sure that White told him more than he was letting on. Deciding a change of subject would yield more information from him she asked, "Daddy, you're the chairman. There is no way that I could ever replace you, I would never dream of it."

"We'll get into all that when you return, suffice it to say that I have solidified our family's position with the Triumvirate."

There was a long pause then she answered him taking a deep breath, "Daddy, I won't be returning. You don't need me any longer let me go."

"Okay Angel, I could never hide anything from you. I am the leader of the Triumvirate now. It happened when the fishing vessel I was on returned to port, to one of the ports on the western shores of Africa. When I came to, I had a new vision and purpose. I have accomplished half of what I set out to do, you as my legacy will fulfill the other half."

"It also didn't hurt that you were the last person to have read the scrolls and lived to tell about it. The Triumvirate knew that and you were able to tell them a few details to get them to back down from killing you. In true fashion you must have turned the tables on them."

"As I keep telling you, you can't keep a Parker down. That applies to you; I know it was hard staying here and having to work with Raines. Especially believing that I was dead, well that's all changed, I've returned and I'm in a better position to protect our interests."

"Let me go, Daddy. You have Lyle, he's your son, he'll do anything you want and we're both aware of how much he has coveted the chairman's position. You couldn't have a better sycophant."

"Nonsense, I need both my children here, by my side ready to take up the reins of power. You belong to the Centre; it's part of your blood. And while your at it, bring Jarod in also there's no need to let on that you're returning, just pick a spot and we'll meet you."

"No Daddy, I no longer belong to the Centre, my place is with Jarod now," she said with intrepidity.

"Angel, this isn't the time to be stubborn. I can only protect you so much, trust me, bring Jarod in and all will be forgiven. He's been filling your head with nothing but lies, preying on your emotions during a time of weakness, return to the Centre where you both belong," he said unthinkingly as he felt his control slowly slip through his fingers.

"Jarod is mine now, we belong with each other, and neither of us are returning," she hissed allowing her anger to show in her voice. "'Trust you', you have used that line on me so many times it's become hackneyed. I don't need Jarod to open my eyes, you did that all by yourself when you did your flying Walinda imitation on the plane."

He winced when he realized his slip of the tongue, but as she continued his face became white with rage. "You don't know what your saying. Angel, you don't want the full force of the Centre to be brought to bear against you. This is your last chance to return and take your rightful place by my side, as my daughter and a Parker."

"And what about Project Progeny? It was you who finally gave approval to Raines' pet project. I wondered why it had been suddenly permitted. How long were you going to keep me in the coma Daddy? Is that your idea of returning to my rightful place by your side?" she asked genuinely curious.

"Is that why you're being so recalcitrant? I gave him approval only to shut him up, I would never have let him do anything to hurt you, what has Jarod been telling you?"

"Daddy, I love you, more than you can know. I tried so hard but you were never satisfied. The Centre doesn't scare me, I've been off their radar for several months, and I'm not likely to break out in a sweat to continue to elude you. I have a new life now and Jarod is part of it, remember it was you who taught me never to share."

Sensing that she was on the verge of hanging up he continued quickly with his threat, "It's not over my dear, not by a long shot."

"I know the reason for the sudden concern in having me return, Daddy how could you?" she asked mournfully. "Margaret told me what she and Momma found out in Carthis, about the predictions."

"All they could have heard were rumors, I know the truth. You are the legacy of the Centre, my legacy and I will never let you go," he replied with steely determination.

"You've put all your confidence in a pair of dusty, stupid scrolls and when they predict a course of action, you're willing to follow it regardless of the steep price in misery, my misery. I will do everything in my power to make sure Progeny never happens," the regretful resolve in her voice reverberated through the connection. It was clearly apparent that she finally stopped allowing her father to exercise his influence over her life. She abruptly ended the call and leaning forward with both hands on the back of the sofa she fixed her gaze on the opposite wall. The room around her was quiet she had finally confronted her father without caving into his demands. She understood his reluctance to let her go, she felt the same reluctance but knew it had to be done. Without warning she threw the cell phone still in her hand at the wall with such force that it shattered to bits.



The Centre
Blue Cove, DE


Mr. Parker slowly returned the phone to its handset. He was staring into space when he realized with a start that he wasn't alone. Looking up he saw the interested and malevolent stares from Lyle and Raines.

"She refuses to return. Knowing my daughter, she's probably destroyed the cell phone she took from White," defeat tasted like bitter ashes in his mouth.

"Then we wait, It's almost certain that she's pregnant and that Jarod is the father. If that is the case, he will find it necessary to inform Sydney when the child is born. We will obtain the baby directly from its mother's arms," Raines said with unquestioning purpose.

Mr. Parker looked at Raines blankly. He had just lost his most steadfast ally, an ally weakened by her emotions but uncorrupted and possessing a hidden kindness and naiveté about his true self that was always endearing and easy to manipulate. Straightening his shoulders and his slumped posture he said gruffly, "I don't know about you, but I'm going to reallocate my assets, just in case Jarod fails to call Sydney."

"Um, Dad, there is going to be a little problem with that. I for one honestly thought you had fallen to your death; in your will you left the bulk of your monetary assets to Sis. We found out when she pulled her disappearing act that she liquidated all your assets. We have reason to believe she created 'retirement' plans for Broots and Sam, her sweeper, there's probably one hidden away for Sydney as well. It's all gone, including the money you had hidden in your safe deposit boxes," Lyle said impassively. He was secretly pleased by the shock-slackened look that plastered itself all over the Triumvirate leader's face.



Island cabin
Off the Maine coast



She stared at the destroyed cell phone blankly. Walking slowly to her own cell phone she started dialing. Looking up at the concerned expressions on her new family's faces, she gave them a shaky, reassuring smile.

"Broots? How are you, and Debbie?" she asked him considerately. Questioning looks were passed back and forth around the room. She paused listening to Broots' lengthy answer to her simple question. "That's good to hear. Yes, I'm fine and Oliver says 'hello'. Broots, Listen! It's time; I was just contacted by them. I need you to trigger the first virus, now," she said almost forcefully.

She paused again, listening and continued, "Yes, I'm sure. It's time for this to end once and for all. Take care, I'll call you next month," she disconnected hastily.

"Approximately 2 months from now the Centre as we know it, will be well on its way to complete extinction," she said quietly.

"What did you do?" Ethan asked, intrigued by his sister's grand announcement.

"Broots is in the process of activating a virus that will completely corrupt the data in all of the Centre's numerous mainframes. Angelo created another virus that will lay dormant in the Delaware mainframe until it is transferred into one of the blue boxes that are decoded and eventually stored in the data annex in Connecticut. Angelo's virus is designed to spread faster than an Ebola outbreak and start eating away large chunks of that data making all the past and present information stored there look like Swiss cheese," she said with a malicious grin.

"So without data than the Centre has nothing to trade, but what about the Triumvirate?" Major Charles asked, excited hope was apparent in his face.

"Angelo designed a second virus that is linked into the Centre's email system. Once Broots activates the initial virus, it will cause a cascade effect and trigger the other viruses. Any email sent to the Triumvirate will carry the virus with it and affect their entire computer system and the systems of anyone they contact using computers."

"Does that mean what I think it means?" Margaret asked hesitantly, "we're finally free?"

"Yes, we're all free. No more running and hiding and no one chasing any of us." Madchen remarked as she looked around the quiet room of stunned faces. They had been running for so long the thought of finally being able to stop was more like wishful thinking, a distant dream without the hope of ever being fulfilled.

Hesitant smiles were exchanged and all at once everyone was talking, crying and embracing each other. The serious look on Madchen's face convinced them as much as her conversation with her father.

"When will we know for sure that we're free? How will we know?" Emily inquired holding on to Justin as though he were a lifeline.

Smiling at her uncertainty, Madchen felt she understood Emily's reluctance in believing the behemoth organization that had dictated and controlled her life was finally in the process of being destroyed. "It will probably hit the international news channels in a few weeks. Broots wanted to make sure that some of the Centre's more notorious activities would grab the attention of Interpol. So he made sure some highly classified files were buried in their database. He will send a few emails to them and the press to make sure the files are recovered."

"My God, it's true. Those dusty, old scrolls are real. They predicted that the end of the Centre would come when it succeeded in betraying one of its own. Nothing would be able to stop it." Unaware that tears were flowing down her cheeks, Margaret reached up and hugged her husband.

Jarod enveloped Madchen in a hearty embrace and after kissing her tenderly whispered in her ear, "thank you."

Ethan who was grinning from ear to ear had taken down several glasses and poured wine for everyone. "This deserves a toast! To our freedom: Nothing desired for so long could be sweeter!"

A round of cheers and shouts of joy reverberated through the house as Madchen was immediately swallowed up into a group hug from her new family.



*Two weeks later*
The Centre
Blue Cove, DE


"Any news on Raines' whereabouts?" Lyle asked with a modicum of curiosity.

"I would guess he is still trying to talk his way out of being cleansed. My two colleagues were unimpressed when Interpol showed up with documented proof of some of his scientific failures. I felt it only right to abstain from the proceedings, I didn't want family ties to muddy the waters." Mr. Parker responded as he and Lyle stood just outside his outer office doors looking at the unusually bustling traffic of Centre employees scrambling to shred any incriminating paperwork.

"It's a wonder he was even able to attend. From what I understand, Sis took some extreme measures to make sure there wasn't a dime left in any of Raines' personal accounts. She also knew about some hidden accounts that our breathless brethren thought he had concealed from everyone." Amusement at Raines' financial situation was one of the few things that kept Lyle coming to work at the Centre. He had always known Parker's feelings towards him but so far she hadn't tampered with any of his accounts or his life. A fact that made him nervous, he had the prevailing feeling that there was another shoe left to drop and it was aimed squarely at his head.

"Not having a private pilot at our disposal has severely cut down our ability to travel abroad. Thank God there were a few offshore accounts that your sister was unaware of or we would really be left hanging," Parker said with disdain.

"Sorry Dad, I guess you haven't heard the latest report. All offshore shell account funds held by the Centre were liquidated. All the money in those accounts has officially gone missing, the accounts were all closed late yesterday."

Heaving a disgusted sigh, Parker looked appraisingly at his son. "Part of your mother's duties at the Centre was the setup and control of the offshore accounts and the shell companies. When she began to actively defy the Triumvirate, they became worried and ordered her silenced. The only way for your sister to know about those accounts was for your mother to have told her."

"It's comforting to know that I took over part of my mother's responsibilities. I suppose I would be fighting with Raines over the window seat if the affects of Miss Parker's scheme had been detected sooner. Seems that Sis has a soft spot for me after all." Lyle commented dryly.

With a soft grunt of disapproval, Parker turned on his heel and entered his office, leaving Lyle to contemplate his future. The end of the Centre was an established fact and his daughter's betrayal had brought it about. He would never tell her, and she would never believe him if he did but he had tried to protect her in his own small way by concealing some other parts of the scrolls' predictions from the Triumvirate.

'The fall of the Centre will be in the hands of the Legacy. Uncontrolled, the Legacy will unite with the Chosen and the Centre will end in infamy.'

He knew it the second his Angel had started defying him, just like her mother. Currently he didn't have the means, but there were a few things that neither mother nor child knew about. He had one other bank account, small compared to his prior holdings, which he could draw on for funds. A slow, sly smile grew on his face as he already began to plot his comeback and his daughter's inevitable return with his grandchild in tow.





Later on that same day, Jarod and Madchen were lounging in the sand thoroughly enjoying the late afternoon. Madchen was resting her back on Jarod's chest relishing the feel of his arms wrapped around her body. She released a contented sigh and turning slightly she rested her forehead against his stubbly chin.

"According to Angelo it looks like your plan is working. I can keep in touch with him because his computer isn't tied into the Centre's mainframe. So when are you going to tell me the rest of it?" Jarod whispered to her. "I remember your ideas, they usually turned out to be more than what they originally started out."

"You're right, my original plan was for Broots to find a way to seize the accounts each mainframe draws on for payroll purposes. I told him to divert the entire payroll to a number of non-profit organizations that help abused and endangered children. It's hard to demand loyalty when you're not paying your employees. The minute the Centre looses the principal assets it draws upon to pay for services rendered then they will start to loose personnel as well. The whole thing should start to fall apart from within. I included Raines' personal accounts because he murdered my mother. How did it go with Lyle?"

"I have a little poetic justice in mind for him, Lyle doesn't know it yet but there is documented proof that he absconded with millions in U.S. government funds that were allocated for certain impoverished Asian countries. There is a trail even the dimmest bulb in the pack could follow. Unfortunately the trail winds directly through your father's last hidden account." Jarod said cautiously waiting for her reaction.

"Thank you, Jarod, for handling that particular loose end," she said with a small chuckle. "Daddy would have never let me go, as long as he's alive I think he would try to use me to resurrect the Centre," she said, ashamed for her father and all the misery and lies he heaped on his own family as well as others. "Why don't we go back inside and join in the celebration. I think our family will be celebrating for the rest of their lives," she said trying to shake off the oppressive cloud of depression that was threatening to enclose her.

"I have something better in mind. How about a celebration of our own?" he said with a smile in his voice.

Madchen felt Jarod's hands on her shoulders as he pulled her back against his chest. She settled against him feeling secure that he honestly loved and wanted her.

"I felt our baby move inside me today, I know it's early but I can feel him all around me," she said contentedly.

"Him? Then is it going to be a boy?" the proud father asked.

Turning half way in his arms so she could see his face she replied, "yes, and he talked to me for the first time, he says his name is Matthew. I can't explain how bizarre that feels, to have our child's voice in my heart already."

Thoughts of his impending fatherhood were beginning to monopolize his thoughts. "I want to share this with the whole family. You're going to have to get used to being fussed over because you are carrying the first child to be born completely free in our family." He was ecstatic that the baby had told her his name, just then she leaned further into him and started to stretch every muscle in her body. Jarod was speechless for a few seconds from sensory overload. Her stretch was extensive as he placed his hands under her shirt feeling her muscles contract and slowly relax.

Smiling mischievously he guided her gently down onto the beach blanket and rolling on top of her, he stared into her smoky eyes and grinning said, "ah yes, my favorite part."



Finis