Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All I'm getting from this is a little bit of fun. No cash is involved, so there are no royalties for those who really own the characters. So finally, the saga continues.

The King and the Pawn


Acceptance


By Phenyx
Sitting primly in her leather seat, Parker tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she shuffled the papers in her lap. The atmosphere among her fellow passengers had been curt and business-like ever since the jet had left Delaware more than two hours ago.

Broots was dozing in his corner while Parker and Lyle quietly reviewed the documents they had brought with them. Jarod stared out the window, speaking only infrequently to bark facts and plans that the documents lacked. Dutifully scribbling these additional bits of information on the papers, Parker did her best to keep up with the stats Jarod threw at her.

Once they reached their destination, Parker would recruit an effective secretary from the general staff to serve the Chairman and his group for the duration of their stay. But for now, Parker was forced to take the notes herself.

It seemed almost as though Jarod was intentionally changing things just to see the rest of them jump. For more than a week, Parker had been looking forward to this series of meetings in Europe, hoping to have a little free time to shop in Paris. But the unpredictable behavior spewing from the current chairman of the board was sure to turn this journey into an exhausting venture.

Parker had planned every minute detail of the trip. She had arranged the schedules and distributed the predetermined agendas for each meeting. With her carefully laid out itinerary, Parker had been prepared to have an entire afternoon available to peruse the French shops.

Jarod had sent all her strategies crumbling into dust when he had demanded that they leave for Europe a day earlier than agreed. Parker had spent the last eight hours frantically scrambling to rearrange the scheduling conflicts for the nearly five hundred people Jarod was to meet with over the next three weeks. Conference rooms had to be re-booked and deadlines for reports moved up. Some of the appointments were of a seminar format, with up to fifty people in attendance at once. The French prime minister's schedule had been the most difficult to accommodate.

But Parker had managed the situation with a strict efficiency.

In the eight months since the pretender had gained control at The Centre, Parker had become quite accustomed to Jarod's manic swings in mood. He hated his job and Parker knew it. Despite the tremendous advances they had made in procedure and protocol, Jarod was unable to view the corporation he now owned in anything but a distasteful light.

It did not matter that all projects now had to face an ethical review board to gain funds. It made no difference that the pretender himself chaired that review board. The cessation of all illegal activities and entanglements at The Centre had done nothing to absolve Jarod's deep seeded belief that anything tied to The Centre was not to be trusted. The Centre had been an evil force in his young life. Nothing had been able to change that point of view for him.

For a while, just after Jarod had fired and then re-hired her, Miss Parker had felt the pretender's despair lessen to a degree. He seemed to be more playful, more amiable for a few months. When Major Charles had contacted them about six weeks ago, Jarod's attitude had soared. His enthusiasm and excitement at seeing his father again had been nearly annoying. His joy was a tangible and contagious thing.

Parker had been so happy for him.

It had been such a lovely change of pace to wake up in the morning with the sound of Jarod's whistling coming from somewhere in the house. On more than one occasion, Parker had caught herself humming the simple tunes along with him.

Jarod's reunion with his father had been quickly followed by a phone call from his sister Emily. The young woman had kept in touch with Ethan and had recently learned about the change in command at The Centre. Emily had arrived in Delaware two days later bringing her mother Margaret along as well.

Miss Parker had quickly volunteered the use of the big house. She had inherited the house in Mr. Parker's will and had been unable to decide what to do with the place. For much of her childhood, that large echoing façade had been her legal residence, though only the summerhouse had ever felt like home. As a result, Miss Parker had been unable to sell it, and unwilling to move into it.

Although the mansion had seemed oppressively large to a single child, for Jarod's rapidly growing extended family, it seemed just right. Major Charles and his wife occupied the master suite of rooms. Emily and her young friend Robert set up residence in the Northern hall. Ethan and his brother Jack, the younger pretender from the Gemini project, also each had their own rooms.

Jarod had laid claim to the big room over the library. The large arched windows had an excellent eastern exposure from which to see the sunrise. However, even though his family had moved into the big house nearly a month ago, Jarod had not yet joined them.

This was not a fact that had missed Parker's attention. Jarod did visit his folks often. But Parker had noticed that the visits were quickly diminishing. Jarod had stopped by every day for hours at first. Last week, he'd gone only twice for brief visits.

When Jarod had first broached the topic of this extended business trip to England and France, Parker had immediately recognized the separation this would impose upon his family. Jarod's mother had done her best to talk him out of it, to no avail.

In order to appease his mother's sullen response, Jarod had agreed to stay with his parents for a long weekend. He prepared to leave last Saturday morning with a gym bag in one hand. He stood in the kitchen, staring at Parker and shuffling awkwardly from one foot to the other.

"You're sure you can handle things on Monday? There's still a lot to do for the trip to Europe." He had hedged.

"I've got it under control, Jarod." Parker had assured him. "Take the day off. You haven't had a break since you became chairman. You deserve it." Smiling she added, "The place won't plummet back into the abyss if you're gone for one day."

"Are you sure?" Jarod had asked.

"Positive," Parker had replied. "Now, get going. I want to spend the day at the salon and you are making me late for my appointment."

Parker had gone to an exclusive establishment in Dover. She had a facial, followed by a manicure and pedicure, and wrapped it all up by having her hair done. After much debate with Etienne, her stylist, Parker decided to have her hair trimmed slightly and darkened only half a shade.

Being away all day, Parker hadn't really noticed how quiet the house was until nearly ten o'clock that night. Thinking little of it, she had gone to bed without realizing that she had checked all the locks three times. It was the first night she had spent alone in the house for over three quarters of a year.

On Sunday, Parker ran errands, wrapping up a few things that had to be taken care of before they left the country. She had stopped at a deli for a single takeout salad for dinner on her way home because the refrigerator was bare. When Jarod had stalked into the house just before dark, he had startled Parker badly.

"Jarod!" she said. "What are you doing here?"

"I have a lot of packing to do," Jarod had growled. "I want to leave for Europe in the morning."

"But Jarod," Parker replied. "No one's expecting us that soon. The plan was that we would leave Tuesday."

"Adapt," he had said in a clipped and brusque tone. Glaring in a manner that indicated this topic was not open for debate, Jarod sighed in frustration, turned on his heel and stormed from the room. A moment later, Parker heard his bedroom door slam.

The next twelve hours had been a hectic exercise in organization and damage control.

As Parker finished with the paperwork, she stacked it neatly and tucked it away in her briefcase. With a weary sigh, she gestured to the flight attendant for more coffee. Leaning back, she sipped at her brew and surreptitiously watched Jarod.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that something had gone wrong during Jarod's visit with his parents. He had been sullen and pouting ever since he returned to the house last evening.

"Would you like some coffee, Jarod?" Parker asked.

"No," he clipped as he glared out the window.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Parker prodded.

Jarod stared blankly at her, his face an unreadable mask. "Talk about what?" He replied.

Parker shook her head sadly. "Is that the way you want to play this?"

"I don't know what you mean, Miss Parker," Jarod said.

"Stop playing the dummy, Jarod," Parker snapped. "You were more open with me while we were playing our sick little game of fox and hound. Talk to me."

Lyle slid into the seat at Parker's side and purred, "Do I detect trouble in paradise? Are we having a little lover's quarrel, kids?"

Snarling loudly in stereo, Parker and Jarod answered simultaneously, "Shut up, Lyle!"

Jarod sprang to his feet. "I think I'll go check in with the pilot," he grumbled abruptly.

As the pretender stalked away, Lyle sighed. "We won't see him for the rest of the flight."

Parker shrugged. "If he wants to fly the plane, let him. It's something he really enjoys."

"I'm sure Jarod's a better aviator than the current pilot anyway," Lyle agreed.

"Damn right," Parker grimaced. "His skill has saved your butt before."

"So what's up with him, anyway?" Lyle asked chattily.

"Why would I know?" Parker asked.

"I assumed that inside knowledge was one of the perks to boffing the boss," Lyle said offhandedly. "Right up there with long lunches and a company car."

Parker rolled her eyes and sighed heavily. She was very tired and too irritable to try to conduct a civil conversation with her twin. "Not that it is any of your business, you sick cretin, but Jarod and I do not have that type of a relationship."

Lyle frowned suspiciously. "I don't believe you," he said.

"Not my problem," Parker shrugged. "I doubt you have the capacity to understand the kind of friendship that exists between us. It would require a depth of feeling you are incapable of attaining."

"I don't need to sit here and take this kind of abuse," Lyle whined childishly.

"Take the hint, Damien," Parker growled cruelly.

"Bitch," Lyle hissed as he too stormed away to the opposite end of the cabin.

Parker laid her head back against the cushioned seat and closed her eyes. The next few weeks were going to be very long and stressful, indeed.

--

For the third time in ten minutes, Marcus Proteau was forced to flip through the stack of paperwork in front of him in order to answer the questions posed by the Centre chairman. Mr. Jarod had taken him completely by surprise. Rather than asking about the impressive revenue generated over the last quarter, the tall and imposing figure had asked about employee security checks and pension plans. Now, Proteau was frantically searching for information regarding projected staff growth and scheduled updates to job descriptions.

"Rebecca?" Proteau turned to his assistant in frustration.

The dark haired, frumpy young woman push her heavy glasses up her nose and replied, "You'll find that information in the folder for next quarter in the section marked 'Prospects', Mr. Proteau. I believe we've estimated our employee growth at 5% over the next year to accommodate expansion in the division. Job descriptions are to be revised accordingly by the end of next quarter."

Nodding thoughtfully, Jarod said, "Expand all the job duties. Rewrite the descriptions entirely. Each employee needs to become more efficient. I believe we can keep the staff increase to under three and a half."

The young woman spoke again, "The five percent estimate is considered very conservative already, Mr. Jarod."

Proteau interrupted, "We can make three and a half, Sir. We'll do whatever it takes."

Miss Parker stood to one side, leaning against the oak cabinet behind Jarod's desk. She listened carefully with her arms folded casually over her chest. An emaciated, thin, blond man sat in a chair in the corner taking notes on a legal pad while a tape recorder spun at his side as a backup.

Parker could see that this division president was woefully unprepared for Jarod's style of business. She almost felt sorry for the guy. But at least Jarod wasn't harassing her at the moment, of that Parker was very thankful.

They were halfway through the scheduled stay in Europe. The last ten days had been grueling. Jarod worked at a frantic, nearly frenzied, pace, pushing all those around him to the brink of exhaustion. Though Miss Parker, professionally dressed in a sharp burgundy suit, looked as cool and beautiful as always, the stern businesslike manner hid a weary woman.

There was little she could do about Jarod's behavior. There had always been an unspoken agreement between them. Work was work, and Jarod was in charge. Parker never second-guessed his business decisions, nor did she usurp his authority in any Centre related issue. He was the boss.

When they were at home, it was a different matter entirely. Parker held the heavier vote on personal issues. Jarod did not argue with her about decisions on the home front. His sulking often indicated his disagreement, but he never argued.

Even so, Parker may still have complained about the strain if not for the fact that Jarod pushed himself twice as hard as he did anyone else. He never seemed to stop. The pretender worked around the clock. Three assistants, working in shifts, were tending to Jarod's demanding requests for documentation and transcription.

Jarod took the proffered file from Mr. Proteau and began flipping through the pages. "May I keep this?" he asked.

The girl Rebecca answered, "Yes Sir, these copies are all for you."

With a perfunctory nod, Jarod dismissed the two.

"It was an honor meeting with you, Mr. Jarod," Proteau said, shaking the pretender's hand.

"We'll be in touch, Mr. Proteau," Jarod replied noncommittally.

As the office door closed behind the retreating forms of Proteau and his assistant, Jarod turned to Parker and said, "Fire him. He's an inefficient 'Yes' man." Jarod shook his head. " 'We'll do whatever it takes.' He says," Jarod scoffed. "With the server upgrades we have planned, it will be hard enough to keep to a five percent staff increase. Three and a half won't even get the new equipment plugged in properly."

Parker nodded.

"That assistant of his seems to be on top of things," Jarod added. "Do a background check on her. See if she is a viable candidate for the job."

Similar scenes had been played out again and again over the last week. Jarod had no tolerance for incompetence. One idiot had gone so far as to subtly remind Jarod of a personal friendship to the Parker family. The man had found himself escorted to the parking lot with a box full of belongings before the hour had ended.

On the other hand, employees who impressed the chairman were just as quickly rewarded for their hard work. One middle-aged secretary, harried and worn looking, had been called out of an important board meeting by a frantic phone call from one of her children. Evidently, a pipe had burst in the kitchen at home and the three youngsters had no idea how to deal with it.

Jarod quickly learned that the divorced woman had children ranging in age from three to nine, whom she was raising on her own. The woman's attendance perpetually bordered on the poor side as a result. Yet her loyalty was beyond reproach and her work ethic admirable. With one swift phone call, Jarod had dispatched an army of handymen to the woman's home and he arranged to have her attendance record expunged entirely.

An in depth discussion about company-provided day care quickly ensued.

Wherever Jarod went, he left two distinct groups of people in his wake, those who despised him, and those who worshipped him. Despite his demanding expectations, Jeanette, Robert and Katrina, the assistants assigned to be Jarod's aides, each adored the handsome chairman. They had been carefully screened and chosen by Miss Parker based on their performance records as well as personal recommendations. Jarod had doubled their salaries immediately on the first day, simply for being able to pass Parker's inspection.

The three aides were earning every dollar. Jarod pushed them hard and expected great things from each of them. He was brutally demanding at times. But Parker had seen what others had not. Jarod offered encouragement and support at the oddest of times. He subtly coaxed brilliance from each of the assistants.

As the mid-point of the business trip came, Parker noticed that Jarod was carefully delegating assignments to the three aides, allowing them each to take on more responsibility. He insisted that they make more decisions on their own, relying less on the chairman and his staff.

Parker knew that by the time the pretender left Europe, these three employees would be a well trained, devoted center of command within this region. The old regime of terror and blackmail was withering away. In its place Jarod was creating a fluid teamwork of loyal followers.

If only Parker could find some way to bring the old light back into Jarod's eyes. The twinkle of mischief that had resided there for so long had vanished. Irritating as it had always been, Parker discovered that she missed the pretender's taunting and playful nature.

Parker decided that she would need to find some time alone with Jarod. They needed to talk. She had to find out what had happened during his last visit with his parents. If Jarod refused to tell her, she would simply have to go see Ethan at the house and find out for herself.

--

The pace that Jarod kept up during the ensuing weeks made it impossible for Parker to find a moment alone with him. When they finally prepared to return to Delaware, the weary group had been in France for nearly a week longer than originally planned. But the amount of work that had been accomplished was astounding.

An entirely new infrastructure now existed in The Centre's European division. Robert and Jeanette had been dispatched to Tokyo to begin preliminary renovations there, while Katrina had been left in charge at the headquarters in Paris. Jarod would continue to monitor the new command closely but as long as they stayed true to their ethics, he would not interfere.

As soon as the pretender boarded the private jet, he disappeared into the cockpit for the flight back to the States. When the plane began to taxi down the runway, Parker knew that Jarod was behind the wheel. She closed her eyes and sighed tiredly.

Jarod was avoiding her and she knew it. He was hiding behind his chairman role, preventing her from talking to him on a personal level. But he could not hide forever. They would be home soon and once there, the two of them would be alone again. With no Lyle around, no aides or flight attendants, Parker would have the opportunity to get to the bottom of Jarod's strange behavior.

No one was in the mood to chitchat as the airplane chased the sun westward. Parker dozed off and on during the trip but found little rest. As a result, when they arrived in Delaware, she was bone tired and nearly dead on her feet. Jarod didn't seem to be in any better shape.

Thankfully, Parker had had the foresight to arrange limousines to transport everyone home.

It was dark and Parker was curled sleepily against the soft leather of the car's interior when a heavy sigh from Jarod startled her awake.

"We are nearly there," Jarod said softly.

Parker glanced out the window as the limo rounded a corner and she recognized her own neighborhood. They were less than a block away from their destination. As the car pulled up the driveway, Parker could see the well-lit house beckoning to them warmly. Thanks to the well-paid services of a cleaning crew, Parker knew that the house would already be aired out and the refrigerator well stocked.

Parker opened the door and stepped aside, allowing the driver to enter with their luggage.

"Where shall I put these, Ma'am?" he asked.

"Oh just drop them there, Albert," she sighed. "We'll deal with them in the morning."

The chauffeur did as he was told. "Is there anything else I can do for you this evening?" Albert asked.

Indicating the negative, Parker swiftly dismissed the man. She closed the door behind his retreating form and slid the chain lock into place. Turning, she saw Jarod standing in the middle of the room, staring around him with a slightly dazed look on his face.

Daintily lifting first one foot, then the other, Parker removed her high- heeled shoes while Jarod blinked mutely at her. With a heavy sigh Parker said, "It feels good to be home."

Jarod flinched as though he'd been slapped. He had such a startled, stricken look in his eyes that Parker was alarmed. She had seen that wounded look before.

"Jarod?" she asked gently. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." His clipped response came out sounding like a choked snarl. Abruptly turning on his heel, Jarod all but fled to his room.

With her face etched in concern, Parker followed. When she found the pretender's door closed, Parker hesitated for a moment. In all the time Jarod had stayed here, Parker had never trespassed on his privacy. It had seemed very important that he have this space of his own. But Parker simply could not wait for answers any longer.

Turning the doorknob she gently pushed open the door without knocking.

"Jarod?" she called quietly.

The pretender was lying on the bed, curled on one side so that his back was facing the door.

Sitting carefully on the edge of the bed, Parker ran a gentle caress across his shoulder blades. "Jarod," she repeated softly. "What's wrong?"

Jarod sighed. "I didn't know what it was," he whispered. "I didn't understand."

Parker silently patted his shoulder to urge him on.

"I thought I was just tired," he said. "I was just so very tired. " Jarod rolled onto his back to stare at the ceiling. "We turned the corner and I saw the house. I felt so, so very," he paused searching for words. "Relieved. It was as though some huge weight was suddenly lifted from my shoulders."

Parker frowned slightly in confusion, but remained silent.

"I just did not recognize it for what it was," Jarod whispered miserably. "Not until you said it."

"What did I say?" Parker urged when he seemed unwilling to go on.

Jarod turned and looked at her. His lips were trembling and his eyes were swimming with tears as the pretender whispered, "It does feel good to be," his voice wavered. "Home." With a huge gasp, he said again, "It feels really, really good to be home."

Parker smiled as teardrops began to run down her face. "Yes, it does."

"I don't want to leave," Jarod whispered woefully.

Grasping his one hand between both of her own, Parker sniffed, "No one said you had to go anywhere Jarod."

"I can't stay forever," Jarod sniffed.

"Why not?" she whispered in return.

"This is your home, not mine," Jarod argued.

"But that is not what you just said," Parker cajoled him. "You can't force a place to be your home, Jarod. Either it feels like a home or it doesn't." She gently stroked a lock of hair away from his brow. "And if it FEELS like home, it is home."

"But, Parker," Jarod began.

Miss Parker placed her fingertips over Jarod's lips to hush him. "We are home, Jarod. This is your home, and this is your room and your bed. Preferring this house and this furniture to some other is not wrong. I won't ask you to leave, and no one else will force you to do so."

"My folks want me up at the big house," Jarod admitted.

Parker cocked an eyebrow at him, "Your parents will adjust."

Jarod sighed as his eyes drifted shut.

"Sleep now, Jarod," Parker whispered. "You need to sleep."

Jarod squeezed her hand slightly in his, "You take such good care of me, Parker. And I've been such an ass lately."

"Lately?" Parker taunted in amusement. "News flash, Genius, but you've been an ass for a very long time."

Jarod laughed softly. A few minutes later, his breathing had taken a deep and even rhythm. Parker started to stand but Jarod held her hand tightly, preventing her quiet retreat.

"Don't go," Jarod whispered, his eyes still closed as though sleeping. "We need to talk."

"We're both exhausted, Jarod," Parker fussed. "We can talk in the morning."

"Don't go," he repeated. He tugged gently on her hand, pulling her down onto the bedspread with him.

With a sigh of resignation, Parker laid down beside Jarod. He curled around her, fitting himself to the contour of her body. Snuggled deep in Jarod's embrace like his favorite teddy bear, Parker allowed her own eyes to drift shut and sleep overcame them both.

-