Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



The Gift
part VI

by N.R. Levy




He poked his head in to the office, cautiously looking around, breathing a sigh of relief that the one person he didn't want to see wasn't in the office.

"Broots!"

"Syd, you scared me."

"If you're looking for Miss Parker, she's having lunch with Ryan in her office."

"Good, because that search you wanted me to do about Miss Parker's stay at St. Catherine's. Syd, I found the doctor's orders, it was an ob/gyn. Syd, they harvested Miss Parker's ovum. So I dug a little deeper, that was when Jarod was back here as well. They ran a lot of tests on him, one was to... I can't say it, Syd?"

"That's what I was afraid of," as Sydney shook his head," You said it yourself, this morning, Broots. Yet, Miss Parker only sees the resemblance to Jarod."

"Huh?"

"The look that Ryan gave you, the stubbornness, the temper."

"Syd, tell me that what I'm thinking isn't so?"

"She doesn't want to see past the resemblance to Jarod, the bond that's forming between them, if she acknowledges it . . ."

"They betrayed her again," Broots whispered," Syd, that's not all Ifound, when they did the procedure, here read it for yourself."

Sydney took the file from the shaking hand of the techie, and quickly scanned the information that was in it. The phone sitting on the desk, rang, interrupting the silence that engulfed the room.

"This is Sydney."

"Sydney."

"Major, what can I do for you?"

"Jake said to seek out a Christmas refuge."

At that the line went dead, and Sydney turned to the computer, quickly finding the site that the major had directed him too. The on the screen were the scanned photos of Jarod, Miss Parker, and Ryan. The Russell's knew, but the two that mattered the most didn't. Jarod was on his way, that Sydney was aware of , question now, was who to tell first.

******************************************

The sounds of laughter filled the office, something that drew wide eyed stares from the sweepers that past by. That was not normally the sound one heard emanating from the Ice Queen's office. If anyone had dared to enter, they would have never believed their eyes. Yet no one was going to enter that room, Miss Parker, herself, left orders that it was off limits to anyone.

Parker was having lunch with Ryan in her office, he sat in her lap and she ran her fingers through his hair as he ate. She planned on reading him a story, one that her mother had read to her, when she was a child. The feelings that she was experiencing were almost as wonderful as when she had found Jarod's Christmas gift, this morning. It was at that moment that his eyes spied the gift wrapped box tucked under the desk.

"What's that?" he asked, his baby finger pointing at the angel wrapped box.

"What?'

"The pretty box."

"Do you want to see what's inside," she asked, a smile on her lips when he nodded yes. Taking the box out from under the desk, she removed the top, peeled back the silver and gold tissue paper to reveal Morgana.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh," he said, clapping his hands in delight," She looks like you."

Looking at the doll with a wistful gaze on her features, she realized that Jarod had sent it with that purpose in mind. Even his message implied the same thing. "Even when you aren't chasing me, I seem to find something to remind me of you'. That he thought about her, amazed her, yet that's what Ryan did for her, reminded her of Jarod. An unexpected gift.

*********************

Lyle groveled in front of the triumvirate boss, but his eyes betrayed his anger. Mutumbo seemed to be ignoring his thoughts of allowing Parker to spend time with the child. It was just to dangerous.

"We have to be careful on how to handle their future meetings," he was saying, only to watch Mutumbo scowl at him.

"I believe we covered this, Mr. Lyle. The child will see Miss Parker as often as I see fit."

"Why are you doing this? You realize what will happen if she finds out?"

Mutumbo glared at Lyle, his tight control on his anger about to slip. "Do you think that I have engineered this entire scenario not knowing all of the potential dangers? I realize, more so than you, the dangers of having a Parker woman find out the true agenda behind the Centre's actions, I've seen the results first hand. But unlike your mother, I have no intention of losing control over your sister."

"When she finds out the truth about Ryan, you'll lose more than control over her. You need to let me take charge of this situation now."

Mutumbo stormed toward his desk, his eyes glistening with rage. How dare this man challenge him or his authority? He was growing tired of having to explain himself, for that matter, the Triumvirate as a whole. It had been a group decision to bring the boy here, and they were all agreed that the risks of discovery were worthwhile given the expected improvements in the boy's performance. Already, Ryan was proving to be the most exceptional Pretender they'd ever had. His simulations were going to make them a fortune. If, of course, he could keep Lyle from interfering.

"It almost sounds to me, Mr. Lyle, as if you want your sister to find the truth. Why is that?"

Lyle stood his ground but remained silent. Damn him, damn them all. He was in control now, and he was going to have to find a way to prove it. And what better way he thought, than showing them how right he was about Ryan.

*****

Miss Parker returned her charge to the SIM lab and regretfully turned to leave him for the day. She was amazed at the feelings the little boy stirred in her, and she'd already realized that fighting them was pointless. For whatever reason, Ryan had been brought into her life and now he was a part of it, for better or worse.

After giving him one last hug and the promise of a bedtime story if he was a good boy and finished all of his work, she left him under Sam's watchful eye. She knew he was not happy about his new assignment, but she had decided immediately she wanted the boy under the protection of someone she trusted. With Lyle around, and so unhappy about Mutumbo's handling of the situation, there was no telling what could happen.

That was the another thing that was troubling her. It wasn't unusual for Lyle to throw his weight around, try to act like the big man on campus, but he seemed downright upset with Mutumbo, which was one thing, but he was showing it publicly, which was taking his life in his hands. What about her seeing Ryan could be upsetting him so much?

****

Jarod had intended to go straight to the old farmhouse he used as a refuge in Blue Cove, but a building sense of unease sent him to Miss Parker's stone cottage instead. He saw that she was not home, and after hiding his car, he made his way to the house.

Entering, he felt a sense of loneliness race through his heart. She was so alone here. He could see that she'd done nothing to decorate for the holidays. The place was still filled with family photos and it still looked like it had come straight out of a decorating magazine, but it felt cold to him, and it made him that much sadder for her.

Needing to change his mood, he headed toward the studio, finding the key in the usual spot. He unlocked the door and stepped in, his eyes widening as soon as he got inside and shut the door. The room still contained scant furnishings, a chaise lounge, a table, but it was filled with other items that Jarod couldn't help but recognize. They were the gifts he'd sent Parker over the last few years. A hand made quilt he'd bought for her in Pennsylvania, the antique crystal angel he'd found in a store in London two years ago, even the stained glass piece he'd made for her just after Thomas' death, they were all there.

He stepped toward the stained glass figure, his fingers moving to trace the cut out space where the heart was missing. He wondered again – was her heart missing, or was it just closed to him? He had broached the subject once with Sydney and the doctor's reply still rang in his head. "Self preservation -- that's why she doesn't let anyone in."

Shaking the thought from his head, Jarod glanced at his watch. It was nearly six. The way she worked herself into the ground, it could be hours before she got home, so he decided to grab his computer and get to work on checking into Ryan's background.

After retrieving the laptop from the car and setting it up in her dining room, Jarod raided the scant contents of Parker's fridge and was just taking a drink of milk when the web site he used to communicate with his family finished loading.

"Urgent -- contact home."

Jarod read the message and felt a tightening in his stomach. He wanted to believe the message was just general worry on his family's part, but something told him there was a far darker cloud coming his way. He picked up his cell phone and, after enabling his cloaking program on the computer, dialed his family.

****

She had returned to her office to gather her things and head home, exhausted from a day that, to Miss Parker's recollection, was the happiest she'd spent in a long time. Despite the extreme lack of work she'd accomplished by spending most of the day with Ryan, the morning and afternoon had been filled with smiles and laughter like she hadn't known since -- well, in a long time. The little boy had weaseled two stories out of her instead of one, but she'd loved every minute of it and after he dropped off to sleep, she had kissed his cheek again as she had the night before.

Parker retrieved her briefcase and picked up the box with the doll, about to leave when the blinking email icon on her computer caught her attention. She hesitated only a moment before reaching over to click the message open.

Her eyes widened as the words began to sink into her brain. Ovum...surgery....surrogate mother.....Jarod.

Parker sank into her chair, unable to move or to steady her legs. It couldn't be. They wouldn't -- her father wouldn't have let it happen.

'No, Parker, think. Daddy was already gone. Lyle was in charge – he could have done anything.'

Oh, God, anything but that. Please, please, it can't --- but then she began to let the small little features and the familiar gestures seep into her consciousness. His laugh, the way he squinted his eyes when he worked, his hands, his glare....

"Oh, God,' she thought,' Ryan is my son.'

****

Lyle stared at his computer waiting for the confirmation to come that his sister had opened the helpful message he had sent her. As the flashing icon began to blink, he knew that now all he had to do was wait. It was time to prove himself right, and bring Parker and Jarod to their knees.

****

The phone barely completed its first ring when Jarod heard the voice of his father. In fact, he didn't even need to open his mouth to speak, and if anyone had been in the room to see the stormy expression that formed on the handsome face one would have left in a hurry. Absorbing the information, he didn't need to know that Parker was in trouble, he just hoped that he could get to her to tell her the truth before someone else did. His family knew, Sydey knew, which meant that others knew. This had to have been sanctioned by someone other than Lyle. Not that Lyle wasn't responsible for obtaining the necessary . . . God he thought, used as science experiments to fit the Centre's desire to obtain the perfect pretender.

"This is Sydney," the voice on the other end repeated for a second time.

"Sydney."

"Jarod, thank goodness. Why the hell did you send the message regarding the child to Parker over the computer?"

"Syd, what message? I just found out." His mind was like a steel trap and wrapped around the situation quickly," Is Broots there? Have him run a trace on the message, fast." What seemed an eternity was actually a few minutes, when he heard Sydney's voice again.

"It came from within the Centre," his tone was soft.

"Damn, Lyle,'' Jarod hissed," He's setting her up. Where is she, Syd?"

"To get the boy."

"It's a trap. Lyle wants her to take him, to prove that she's disloyal. He'll be waiting. Syd, you have to try and stop her. Tell her to wait for me, please," he terminated the call, pulled on his leather duster and hightailed it to his car, praying that he'd make it in time. In time for what, though.

Parker flew through the hallways, not caring who saw her or what they thought. Damn them. How could -- no, there was no sense wondering how, they had, and now she had to get her son out of this place.

No mother bear ever had anything on Parker from the moment she'd realized Ryan was hers. She was already attached to him, but knowing that he'd been stolen from her body -- at least, part of him had been, it was the absolute last straw. Sydney had tried to stop her, telling her there was more she needed to know, but she had not stopped to listen. She had to get to her son.

Sam didn't dare question her arrival and knew instantly from the look on Miss Parker's face that something had gone very wrong. His thoughts were confirmed when he heard the few words she uttered his direction.

"Leave now, and make sure the logs show you were sent home an hour ago.

She slipped into the room without saying another word to him, and made her way to the sleeping little boy, not even certain that Broots had gotten the cameras shut down and not caring.

He was an angel -- his little face turned up in a smile and she loved that despite all the loneliness he had endured, he could still have pleasant dreams. Maybe he could teach her how to do it again.

She sat down on the edge of the bed and gently stroked his cheek, rousing him easily out of sleep. As his eyes blinked open and he saw her, he sat up, throwing his arms around her.

"You came back."

"Yes, I did. I need to go away for a little while, Ryan, and --"

Before she could finish she felt his arms tighten around her, and tears formed in her eyes as she realized how much he needed her, even without knowing who she really was.

"Don't go, please, don't go."

"Shh, Ryan, listen. I'm taking you with me, okay? I promise, I'm not going to leave you."

"Really, you promise?"

"I promise. Now listen, we need to get you dressed, and then we have to leave. You're going to have to be very, very quiet, okay?"

"Okay. I can do that."

The boy scrambled out of bed and hurried to his closet, pulling out a pair of pants and a T-shirt and Parker helped him into the items. Of course, he didn't have a coat because the Centre had never intended to let him outside, so she grabbed a blanket from the bed and wrapped him up in it before she picked him up in her arms and headed for the door.

The hallway was empty, and Parker headed out, her keys already in her hands. She couldn't risk taking the time to go back for anything, even though, from nowhere, she thought of the doll Jarod had sent her and felt a fleeting sense of regret that it was getting left behind.

Shaking away such foolish thoughts, she hurried on. She had Jarod's son in her arms -- her son -- and nothing mattered as much as that.

She had just reached the SIM lab when she heard the grating moving and saw that Angelo was waiting for them. She wasn't certain how he knew she needed his help, she was just grateful that he was there. Parker quickly handed Ryan up to Angelo then climbed up into the vent herself, thankful that she had worn a pants suit today instead of her usual tight mini skirt.

They made their way through the cavernous vent system until Angelo brought them to what had to be the most obvious and therefore the most overlooked escaped point in all of the Centre -- the loading dock. The place had hardly any security and after hours, they depended only on the electronic surveillance for protection, and she couldn't care less about that. Let them watch her run away with her son. Once she was away from here, they would never find them again.

Parker made it to the ground and reached up to take Ryan, who had been true to his word and uttered not a peep the entire way. She turned back to try and coax Angelo out too, hoping he would come with them, but he shook his head immediately,sensing her thoughts.

"Stay."

"Angelo, please?"

"Home."

With that, he ducked back inside the vent, replacing the screen and disappearing from her view. Realizing there was nothing more she could do, Parker leaned down so she was face to face with Ryan. There was still a chance a stray sweeper would happen across them, and so she had to prepare him for what might happen.

"Okay, Ryan. We're going to have to get to my car now, and we might have to run very fast. If we do, I'll tell you, and you have to keep running until I tell you to stop, okay?"

"Okay." He was starting to look a little scared, but there was nothing else she could to right now to stop that. She reached out and took his hand.

"Okay, let's go." They headed off, Parker pulling him along as she navigated the treacherous 500 yards to her car. The parking lot was eerily silent, and she felt her nerves growing more and more on edge. She brought her free hand to her gun, keeping her fingers laced over the grip.

"Where do you think you're taking my pretender?" The sound of her brother's voice made her stomach knot instantly. She stopped, keeping her left hand firmly on Ryan's shoulder as she turned to face her hated twin.

"You mean where am I taking my son?"

"Motherhood has made you careless. You should have known it was too easy."

Parker scanned the area. He had come alone -- Thank God for his overconfidence problem.

"Adulthood has made you foolish. You should have known I would find out, and that I would kill you for it."

Parker pulled her gun in a flash, firing at her brother as she pushed Ryan behind a parked town car nearby. She could hear her son crying, and though she wanted to comfort him, now their survival was utmost in her mind.

She could hear Lyle screaming at her, and shots flew over her head, telling her that he had come armed. Firing a few more cover shots, Parker moved quickly to the far side of the lot, pulling Ryan with her.

"Baby, listen to me, okay? I know you're scared, but we have to go now. Do you see the black car over there, the one with the Q in the license plate?"

Shakily, Ryan glanced to where Miss Parker pointed, and then looked back at her as he fought the tears in his eyes.

"Yeah."

"Okay, we're going to run there as fast as we can. I want you to climb in the back and get down on the floor, okay?"

"Why is he so mad?"

"Later, baby, I promise. I'll explain everything, okay? Now, on three. 1...2...3!"

As she called the last number, she grabbed Ryan's hand and they charged across the lot, Parker firing at her brother as she moved. She dropped the empty clip on the ground, shoving another into the gun as they neared the car, and after firing again, she reached into her pocket to key the remote locks so that Ryan could do as she'd told him. That was when a familiar pain tore through her body, nearly knocking her down. Parker glanced at her ride side and saw the bright red blood beginning to show on her clothes.

Forcing herself to fight back the pain of the bullet wound, Parker moved toward the car, climbing into the driver's seat. She started the car, slammed it into drive and moved off as she saw a wave of sweepers emerge from the Centre. The gun shots, she figured, had alerted them.

She ducked down as she passed her brother, his gun firing lamely at her car, running out of bullets as she moved by him. She caught sight of Sydney and Broots in the swarm of men that had arrived, but she knew there was no way they could help her now.

Lyle screamed with rage as his sister escaped and he ordered the sweepers to their cars to pursue her. As the men ran, Broots' eyes focused on the dark red trail that went from the middle of the lot to where Miss Parker's car had been parked.

"Oh, God, Sydney." He reached out and pointed, and as Sydney's eyes focused on what lay before him, he began to panic, wondering how he would reach Jarod when his cell phone rang.

"Jarod ..."

"Sydney, where is she?"

"Jarod, it's too late. She took him and they're after her now."

"Damn it! Sydney, did she tell you where she was going?"

"No. She was so angry, Jarod. She wasn't thinking, and Jarod, there's something else."

"What?" He felt the sense of foreboding that had been plaguing him all day grow.

"She's been shot, Jarod. I don't know how bad."

Jarod hung up the phone as tears began to sting his eyes. He had to find her, but how? How long would she be able to run if she were really hurt, and where on earth would she run to?

****

Mercifully, Ryan had fallen asleep on the back seat of the car, making it easier for Parker to let down the facade she'd put in place to keep him from panicking. Her side was killing her, the pain pulsing through her body everytime she breathed, and she continued to bleed. She had taken off her jacket and balled it up behind the entry wound in her back, trying to slow the flow down, but she knew that she had to get to her destination soon. She was growing weaker by the minute, and though she wouldn't allow herself to consider the possibility that she wouldn't survive, she was damn sure going to make sure that if she did die, her son was somewhere safe.

Her eyes began to blur as she navigated the long, winding road that led to the house she was seeking. Again and again, she had to force herself to stay conscious, digging her nails into her hands to jolt herself awake. They were almost there. Just a few more miles, and Ryan would be safe.

She pulled up in front of the house and found it filled with blazing light, as if everyone in the house were up and working on something, despite the lateness of the hour. She parked, hoping the stopping of the car wouldn't wake Ryan. She was too weak to pretend anymore. She was dying....and she had to get her son into that house.

Parker opened the door and tried to move, but pain overwhelmed her and she knew that she could not get out of the car herself. Out of options, she looked at the horn and then back at her son before letting her hand fall on to the noisy device.

Ryan's head immediately popped up, and it took the boy little time to realize that the woman he had come to care for so much in just two days was very, very sick. He stood up on the back seat and leaned over, his little face coming even with hers.

"Miss Parker, it's okay. I'll take care of you."

She looked at him as she heard the door to the house open. Voices shouted, and she heard footsteps approaching her. With what little strength she had left, Parker turned her head in time to see Charles and Jake approaching her. Charles immediately knelt by her side, his eyes staying on her as he spoke to Jake.

"Jake, take him inside."

"No, I'm staying with Miss Parker. No!" Jake picked the little boy up, hating to force him away from her, but one glance at the woman who had once promised him freedom told him she was in very bad shape.

Parker reached out toward the sound of Ryan's screams, but her vision was fading, blackness coming to take her. She forced herself to focus on the last thing she needed to do.

"Charles, he's my son....Jarod's son."

"I know, Miss Parker, I know. Come on, let's get you inside."

Parker felt his arms come around her, but she couldn't see the look of horror that crossed his face as he saw the dark blood stains that covered the front seat of the car. He picked her up, settling her in his arms as he turned toward the house. He held her close to him, like one of his own children as he leaned down and whispered to her.

"You're going to be fine, Miss Parker. You have to be."

******

They had lost sight of the car in the swirling snow, Lyle cursed and wondered how the hell his sister always managed to come out on top. She got the boy, even though he had staged the whole thing, now he had to go back to the Center and explain what happened. Maybe he could turn this around, he had warned Mutumbo about what would happen if she discovered the truth. No one knew he was responsible.

Strolling into the Centre lobby, Lyle pushed past the sweeper that blocked his way up the stairs. That is until he looked up and saw Mutumbo standing there, fury written on his features, his hands gripped tightly on the rail.

"What the hell were you thinking? A shoot out in the loading dock."

"She took the boy. I warned you that you'd lose if she found out," Lyle announced with a smile, hoping the triumvirate boss accepted his excuse," If it wasn't for the damn snow storm, she'd be back to answer for her betrayal against the Centre."

"Mr. Lyle," the man shook his head," You've got a lot to learn, don't you?"

"She betrayed the Centre."

He watched as the triumvirate boss reached into his pocket and withdrew a piece of paper, and shoved it in Lyle's face, a murderous look on his dark features.

"Funny, since the email that informed your sister regarding the parentage of Ryan came from your computer. Do you think that I'm a fool?" He looked at Lyle, hard. Lyle closed his eyes trying to pretend that he didn't hear that. Shit, he never even thought about them tracking Parker's email.

"Take him to SL-26."

"Noooooooooooooo."

Lyle missed the smirk that graced the savant that hid in the air shaft vent or else he would have realized that he had played a part in his dressing down from the triumvirate boss.

*****

Charles carried the wounded woman into the house and into the room that would have been Jarod's, if he were here. What amazed him is that she was able to drive to the cabin, let alone that she knew where it was? Placing her inert form on the bed, he gently removed her blouse, the wound, a small hole, that went through. That at least was a good sign. Now to stop the bleeding.

Blackness had engulfed her, but now there was nothing but a bright light that seemed to warm her sore and tired body. Images passed before her. Things that she had not thought about for the longest time, had not been allowed to think about because it hurt to much. A handful of people passed in front of her, those that were lodged in her heart. Ice blue eyes looked into hers.

"Are you real?" she muttered.

"No, ghosts. All we are are memories. Your memories."