Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



The Gift
Epilogue 02

N.R. Levy / Shannon / Trisha





Ryan ran down the stairs, holding on to the rail so as not fall, intent on getting his daddy. Something was terribly wrong with mommy and she needed daddy right now, that much he knew.

"Daddy, Daddy," Ryan yelled, pulling up short when he saw all the adults in the living room.

Jarod turned to look at his son and realized by the frightened expression on the little boy's face that something was wrong. Ryan stood in front of his father and had to take a moment to catch his breath.

"Mommy. . .she's sick. . .something's wrong," he gushed as he pulled his daddy to his feet, pushing him in the direction of the stairs. Jarod knew better than to argue and took the stairs two at a time. Upon reaching the bedroom, he found Parker lying on her side, her hand wrapped around her belly, and her face drained of all color.

"Morgana," he flew to her side, panic on his face.

"Jarod," she whispered," something’s wrong. . .pressure. . pain. ...feels like she's coming."

"Damn," he muttered, softly, so as to not upset her. Gently he pulled back the bed sheets to check her and immediately saw that she had started to spot. Realizing that there was no way to stop the contractions this time, he made the decision to take her to the clinic and pray to God that it was the right one.

"Parker, honey," he brushed the hair from her face, and looked into herblue eyes, "stay with me, baby. Looks like this little one is rather impatient to meet her family. I'll be right back." He made his way to the doorway only to encounter Sydney.

"Jarod?" the older man inquired worry on his features.

"She's hemorrhaging, Syd. I have no choice. I need to get her to the clinic, Centre or no Centre. If I try to deliver the baby here, I could lose both of them and I won't, she endured to much."

"I'll get the van ready, and inform the rest of the family. Get her ready, Jarod." Jarod watched Sydney turn and head down the stairs. Returning to the bedroom, he quickly wrapped his wife in the comforter from the bed, then gathered her in his arms and made his way down the stairs. He found his family dressed and ready to accompany them to the clinic. All except for Broots.

"I'll stay here and monitor the clinic and the Centre. If they contact the Centre then I'll call the Major on his beeper. Everyone has their cell phones with them. Jarod, take care of them," he turned his head and
headed back to the table that held the computer.

Jarod sat in the back seat of the passenger van, cradling his wife in his arms, watching as his father and father-in-law drove to the clinic at speeds his wife would have been proud of.

"Parker, come on baby, open those beautiful blue eyes for me," he whispered.

He had to keep her alert and awake. She was his only source of information regarding the progression of the contractions. The bleeding hadn't gotten any worse yet it had not stopped either. The drive lasted only twenty minutes but seemed to last a lifetime as far as those in the van were concerned. Jarod exited the van with his wife still cradled in his arms, protectively.

"I need help here," the major yelled.

A striking woman, around 5'5" came running at full bore, her attention immediately given to Parker.

"Dr. Hope Allyn," she breathed as she ran a cursory check of Parker, taking in the problem, "How far along is she?"

"Seven months. She’d been experiencing contractions early yesterday. I managed to control them but. . .she began hemorrhaging about twenty-five minutes or so ago. It's a high risk pregnancy."

"Get operating room 2 ready, stat. . .and call my husband," she yelled to the nurse at her side, before turning her attention back to Jarod, "You a doctor?"

"I am today. Jarod Greene," he looked into dark eyes.

"Then let's go scrub, Jarod. Seems we have a baby to save as well as your wife. Did you get a hold of my husband, Angela?" the woman asked.

"He's on his way but he as to bring. . ."

"Look, Dr, Allyn, we don't have time to waste on another doctor. . ." Jarod snapped.

"Hope, what do we got?" a dark-haired gentleman asked as he walked beside the gurney that was being wheeled down toward two green double doors.

"Patient is seven months, contractions earlier and now is hemorrhaging, and she’s going in and out of consciousness. This is her husband, Dr. Greene, he's going to assist us. Ready."

"Mommy, Daddy," a small voice spoke up, seemingly forgotten in the mad rush to get Parker to the operating room, "I'll show the others to the waiting room."

"Oh , my goodness, Faith, I forgot all about you. I'm sorry. That would be wonderful and then if you want go and see Angela," the older man said.

"That's okay, daddy, mommy. I'll keep the others company and anyway I have my book to read." She smiled and held up the book that was under her arm. Jarod just stared and took in the scene until the green double doors closed on the little girl, he then turned his attention back to the matter at hand.

The little girl made her way down the corridor to the main entrance were she found a group of people clamoring around the desk asking a million questions all at once. Placing two fingers in her lips, she let loose a shrilly whistle, which not only silenced the group but intrigued four-year-old Ryan.

"Hey, how do you do that?" He approached the little girl that was as tall as him, "I'm Ryan and that was my mommy and daddy that come in here."

"Well Ryan, my name's Faith," she answered, casting a glance at the nurse. "Angela, I told daddy and mommy that I 'd show these people to the waiting room. Follow me."

The entourage followed the two four-year-old children, Sydney right behind them, listening with utter amazement to the little girl explain to Ryan how to whistle. The group made themselves comfortable in the waiting room and waited impatiently.

"What are you reading?" Ryan asked Faith. He watched as she held out the big book. Looking at the cover, he laughed and smiled.

"Me too, but I still think there are too many girls in it. Mommy and I were reading it earlier and then she. . " he suddenly got very quiet.

"You can't read, you're a boy." Faith said. "She'll be okay. My mommy and daddy are the best."

"Can too." Ryan took hold of the book and paged through it till he found the spot that he and mommy had left off at.

"I guess you can. What else can you do?" She looked at Ryan closer, it was at that moment that Emily, Nicholas and Angelo entered the waiting room.

"Sister okay?" Angelo asked, staring at Sydney.

"We don't know yet," Sydney walked over and put a comforting arm around him.

"Who's that?" Faith inquired, pointing toward Angelo.

"That's my uncle Angelo," Ryan whispered. " He's different but smart too."

Faith made her way to the savant and looked into his blue eyes with her blue ones, reaching out a small hand. Angelo bent down so that he was eye level with the little girl. Ryan made his way over to the duo.

"Uncle Angelo, this is Faith."

"Faith," he whispered and took hold of the small hand that was offered, then he turned and took hold of Ryan's. The trio made their way to a corner of the waiting room and huddled together, conversing. The adults soon forgot that the children were even there.

Suddenly, a loud sobbing filled the room, and all eyes turned to Emily. Nicholas immediately moved next to her, a protective arm coming around her as her father and mother leaned closer.

"Honey," Major Charles reached over and took her hand, "we're all worried, but she'll be okay. They both will."

"Dad, I was just thinking about...God, can you believe I used to hate her? But now she's my sister....we can't lose her, Dad, we can't."

In the operating room, Jarod pushed down his growing panic by focusing more on being a doctor and less on being a husband. By the time he had finished changing and scrubbing, Parker was already out, the anesthesia doing its job quickly.

As he looked at her now, his heart pounding, he tried to think of the situation in purely medical terms. Parker was a strong woman, and even though she'd been through a lot of stress the past seven months, she'd been in perfect health before the pregnancy. The baby also had a good chance. Her lungs might need some help, but chances were definitely on her side if they got her out in time. If. The word hung in the air around him, and he fought to keep control, not just over his worry, but over the thick sense of guilt that was also building inside of him. He had been so angry with her for this -- for getting pregnant without telling him, without consulting him. Now she might die, and it would all be because she had been trying to make his dreams come true.

"Dr. Greene, let's get going, shall we?"

It was Hope that spoke to him, and her soft but commanding voice forced Jarod to bring himself back to the moment at hand. He nodded, and the two of them joined her husband at Parker's side. Within seconds, the procedure was underway.

It took them less than six minutes to deliver his daughter, a tiny bundle of energy. Hope handed Jarod his little girl for a rather quick inspection and then Hope's husband, Sean took her. Jarod watched as he placed her in a incubator. Her lungs were functioning, but Sean wanted to be on the safe side and give her a little help in the breathing department. Unfortunately, Parker wasn't completely out of danger. Hope was busy trying to stop the bleeding.

****

Jarod lay sprawled in the chair next to Parker's bed. Waiting for his wife to regain consciousness so that he could tell her that all that she had endured for the last seven months had been worth it. Their daughter Catherine lay fast asleep in an incubator in the clinic's nursery under the watchful eye of Dr. Sean Allyn. A soft knock at the door, interrupted his thoughts.

"Jarod, can we talk a minute," Sean entered the room, a folder in his hand.

"Is there a problem with Catherine?" his immediate concern was for his daughter and not the fact that they still didn't know if the Centre would be swooping down on them shortly.

"No, she's fine. We need to talk though. Look I know that there is more to you and your wife than just an average ordinary family. Your son is so like my Faith. No, hear me out please. I just got done with the blood work not only on the baby but on your wife. Here, read." He handed Jarod the folder, which he accepted with rather shaky hands, not normal for him but nothing about this day had been normal. He opened the file and began to read the material presented to him, his eyes immediately sought out Sean's.

"It's Faith's blood work, isn't it?"

"Yes, and the one under it is your wife's and daughter's. Jarod, I don't know if you have ever been tested, not that it matters, but since you understand what I'm showing you. There's this place, its not a place that should even exist but it does and it looks for children such as Ryan, Faith and Catherine. It's called the. . ."

"Centre," he whispered, watching the shock in Sean’s eyes widen.

"You know it?"

"I lived it. So did Parker."

"Then you know that it's evil, Jarod. My wife wishes to see the place destroyed. She works at it in her spare time, trying to undermine their searches for exceptional children. We could use help and in the meantime protect our children and any others that we discover."

"How exactly did your wife find out about the Centre?" Jarod was on edge now. He somehow sensed that this man and his wife weren't looking to hurt his family, but any hint of the Centre this close to his children made him nervous.

"That's kind of a long story, Jarod."

Jarod glanced at his sleeping wife and then back at Sean.

"I think it's a story I need to hear, Sean. If not now, then soon."

Sean nodded and headed out of the room. Jarod moved to his wife's bed. Gently, he leaned over her and kissed her forehead.

"You did it, baby. It's time to wake up now, okay?"

She did not stir. Hope had told him not to worry if she didn't wake immediately, but he couldn't help but worry. She had lost a lot of blood...again. So many times her blood had been the cost of their family's survival. But no more. He didn't care what he had to do, he was going to make certain that today was the last time Parker's life was put at risk.

Hope Allyn was looking for her daughter, both her patients now stable enough for her to do so. She was in total awe of Morgana Greene. Hope had seen a great deal as a doctor, but the moment she'd removed little Catherine from her mother's uterus, it was apparent to her what a risk the woman had taken to have the child. Jarod later explained that she'd had a botched egg-harvesting job done on her, and the scar tissue Hope had found supported that. The Greenes had been very lucky -- by rights, neither mother nor child should have survived.

Hope checked her office, but Faith wasn't there or Sean's, so she headed for the waiting room, remembering her daughter's promise to watch over the Greene's family. She was just through the door when she caught sight of a very familiar couple sitting on the sofa.

"Mr. and Mrs. Stamos?"

Emily and Nicholas looked up at Hope Allyn and felt their hearts stop momentarily. What did they do now? They shared a quick glance and stood, their eyes moving from each other to the doctor.

"Dr. Allyn, nice to see you again." Nicholas extended his hand and Hope took it, though a look of definite suspicion was on her face now.

"What are you two doing here?" The Centre -- she could feel it. Damn, she should have been more careful.

"Well, actually…" Nicholas stammered, not certain what he should say.

"Actually, Dr. Allyn, we have kind of a small world thing here." Emily's voice sounded suddenly confident, and it surprised Nicholas. He looked over at her, anxious to see what she would say. Hope continued to stare at them, waiting for Emily to continue.

"You see, I am actually Dr. Greene's sister, and my husband here is Mrs. Greene's brother. Half-brother, you know, different last names."

Hope was about to dive into some serious questioning when she felt her husband's hand on her shoulder.

"Hope, we need to talk."

"Not now, Sean."

"Now, babe."

She turned, and the look in his eyes told her that she should go with him. It also caused an immediate attack of panic in Emily.

"Is it Catherine? Is she all right? Or Morgana? What's happened?"

Hope turned, and seeing the genuine fear and concern on the younger woman's face, she no longer knew what to think. Sean quickly assured them that both mother and daughter were fine, then led his wife from the room.

"Sean, what the hell is going on?"

"I think we may have just found the people we've been looking for, Hope. The people who can get the Centre off of our backs once and for all."

"Care to explain that please," her dark eyes narrowed, as she pushed away a loose tendril of hair from her forehead.

"I finished the blood work on the Greene's, Hope. After what Angela told me about their little boy, how he and Faith seemed to forge some type of bond in a matter of hours and that the two of them are like to peas in a pod. Hope, Jarod knows about the Centre… you should have seen the look of panic when I started to mention it."

"So for a look, I'm suppose to what, trust them? Sean, there's more that you aren't telling me, isn't there."

It was at that moment that a distinguished looking gentleman rounded the corner, stopping short of the talking couple.

"Excuse me, but have either of you seen my grandson Ryan," his rich timbre struck a chord with Hope, her eyes went to the man's face. Her eyes widened at the sight of him.

"Papa?" she whispered as the color drained from her face, and then her body went limp into Sean's arms as he caught his wife's form.

"Damn it. It wasn't suppose to happen like this!"

Sydney stared at the couple, still trying to comprehend what had just transpired. It wasn't every day that someone called him Papa. Actually only three people had that exclusive right, his daughter and his sons.
Hope Allyn slowly opened her eyes, and sought out her husband's blue ones.

"Tell me that I didn't just see my father standing there. Mama said that the Centre killed him," her words barely audible, but Sydney hung on each and every one.

"Sweetheart, I think we better get you in the office, and then I think we have a lot to talk about. Sir, maybe you should come with us."

Sydney nodded, but kept his distance as Sean helped his wife to her feet. She glanced back at the older man again, her eyes widening, but this time she did not faint. Instead she blinked several times, her eyes still not believing. After a moment, she allowed her husband's gentle pull to guide her down the hallway.

*****

"Jarod, Jarod, where is she? Where's Catherine?"

The words sank into Jarod's brain and he suddenly realized whose voice he was hearing. Quickly he forced himself awake and in moments, he was sitting beside his wife.

"She's fine. She's just down the hall."

"Is she all right? Are you sure?"

"Shh, I'm sure. The doctors are just giving her some extra care for insurance, but so far she's as strong and stubborn as her mother, as well as beautiful."

That managed to bring a weak smile to Parker's face and she relaxed against the pillows.

"Can I see her?"

"I'll go check with the docs and see if she's ready to come in, okay? You rest until I get back. Oh, and, Morgana, I love you."

"I love you, too."

Jarod placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before standing up and heading out in search of Sean. He knew the layout of the clinic well enough now, and he moved directly toward the doctor's offices. Soft voices told him more than one person was inside. He knocked gently and then entered, surprised to see Sydney holding Hope Allyn's hand.

"Syd, what is going on?"

"More, Jarod -- More of the Centre."

*****

Faith pulled the chair closer to the computer, and within moments both she and Ryan were squeezed into it. Angelo knelt beside them on the floor. For the first time all day, Faith seemed a bit hesitant to go along with her new friends' plans.

"Are you sure we should do this?"

"Of course I'm sure." Ryan's smile made her feel a little better, but she was still nervous. "Besides, my uncle Angelo's here. He'll make sure it all goes right, won't you, uncle?"

Angelo nodded and reached over to press the power button on the computer. Time to make sure his family was safe, he thought.

****

The look on Sydney's face was enough to send chills through Jarod's whole body, and he reached for a nearby shelf to steady him.

"They don't know about the baby, do they? They can't know that Morgana's alive?"

"No, son," Sydney's voice was warm and comforting, and momentarily Jarod felt some relief, "for now, the girls are safe. I know you've already talked a bit with Sean. If Morgana's up to it, I think it's time you hear all of the story."

"Fine, but first she needs to see Catherine. She's been through too much not to enjoy at least a few moments of peace with that baby before we turn the world upside down on her."

Sean nodded, then stood up from his seat.

"I'll go and get the baby and meet you in your wife's room."

****

With a slight hesitation in his step, Jarod followed Sean out of the office, but not before he cast a look back at Sydney and Hope. Sydney was still holding Hope's hand from the chair opposite her, and talking in that low voice that could soothe even Parker when she was furious. He saw a small smile cross Hope's features and a light began to shine in her eyes. He headed toward his wife's room and let his mind play back the events that he had just seen in Sean's office. Was it possible that they had found potential allies against their greatest enemy? Pushing the door open to Morgana's room, he found her sitting up in bed, waiting expectantly.

"Well?"

"Sean's bringing her from the nursery."

"Sean?"

"Sorry, he's the pediatrician taking care of Catherine, and his wife, Hope is the one that delivered her."

"But I thought. . ."

"I was right there with you and her in the operating room." He took a seat next to her on the bed, picking up her hand as he looked into her blue eyes. "I want you to forgive me for being such an . . ."

"Shh, you don't have to. . ." she didn't finish for the door to her room opened and a tall, silver haired, gentleman entered the room carrying a pink blanket.

"Someone here was rather anxious to meet her mother." Smiling, Sydney placed the tiny bundle in Parker's waiting arms.


"Oh, God, please, please don't take her. Please."