Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part 1 and I don't own the main characters but do claim Mairin MacKenna. . . .BlackDiamond it's all yours. . . .Enjoy and have fun. . . Feedback is appreciated. . .I didn't do justice to the accents as the others but I did try. . .



The Truth Hurts
Part 5

by Michelle E. Haley




Jarod's heart squeezed like a fist, then went on beating in a heavy, uncomfortable manner at the sight of Parker unconcious form. Slipping into doctor mode, he started to assess Parker's condition. As he reached inside his leather jacket for the small penlight, his thumb gently pulled her eyelid up to reveal its blue orb. Rapidly, he waved the penlight in front of the eye, then repeated the motion with the other eye, watching how her pupils reacted to the brief flash. He made a mental note that her skin was clammy and pale, her breathing normal, and even though her pulse steady, she was still unresponsive to the external stimuli. Starting at the base of her neck, he probed her skull gently for any sign of head trauma. It wasn't until he brushed some stray strands of dark hair from the right side of her face that he noticed the beginnings of a contusion above her temple.

"Where's that ambulance?" he shouted, then turned his attention back to Parker.

" It be on it's way, lad," the constable replied as he leaned into the car.

The faint wails of the siren could be heard in the distance and soon the red light was pulsing like an artery, bathing the accident scene in blood.

"There it be, now."

Jarod remained in front seat of the car, his left hand on top of Parker's, the other on the curve of her chest feeling it rise and fall. His voice gently urging her to wake, but to no avail. The paramedics quickly alighted from the ambulance with their gear and a gurney. Jarod alighted from the car and allowed the paramedics to place a collar around Parker's neck to protect and stablize her from any further injuries.

Stepping away from the scene, but still close enough to keep an eye on Parker, Jarod removed his cellular phone from the inside pocket of his jacket. A quick flip of his wrist revealed the keypad, his finger hit the first number and he placed it to his ear. The call was answered quickly by a female voice. Jarod felt an immense weight lift from his shoulders as he informed Marley about Parker's accident and what he needed from her. Suddenly there were voices, loud shouting, which casued him to return to the car and with his help they removed Parker from the car and placed her on the gurney. The clickety-click of the gurney's wheels on the pavement and Jarod gave the impression of being someone in control as he climbed into the back of the ambulance, taking up a position by her side.

The ride to the hospital seemed like an eternity to Jarod. Yet, it was only a matter of minutes before they were removing Parker from the back of the ambulance and through the emergency room doors of the hospital. It was about a half hour later when Marley Penfield hurried through the swinging doors and stopped dead at the sight of him.

". . . Your lass she be . . .constable said. . . black ice, a skid. . . . wit' Doctor MacKenna. . . brought what ye asked for. . ." she chattered as Jarod and her strode through the swinging doors, into the brightly light room. Parker was on a gurney in one of the emergency room cubicles; a spare, anonymous space.

" Mairin MacKenna this be . . ." Marley stopped and stared at Jarod, who extended a hand but his eyes stayed riveted on the listless form of Miss Parker.

"Dr. Jarod Carmichael."

"Marley, glad ye are here, I can use the help. We haven't been able to rouse her, Dr. Carmichael."

"It's Jarod, please," he replied.

"Best schedule an MRI, Mairin. Ye'll want to stay, won't ye, Jarod?" Marley said as she laid a hand on his arm.

"I'm not going anywhere till Parker wakes up. I appreciate you wanting to be here helping but shouldn't you be with Grannie"

"Grannie, she be wi' Geilie, Jarod. Grannie tol' me to git here. That her dream was comin' true."

"Grannie and her dreams," Jarod chuckled slightly.

"Ye shouldna laugh at Grannie's dreams, lad," Dr. MacKenna replied as she resumed her place next to Parker bed, checking her eyes again.

"Believe me, Parker and I don't, not anymore," Jarod pulled a chair from the other side of the bed closer, and placed Parker's left hand in his, while his other brushed her forehead gently.

Once the battery of tests that the doctors had ordered were complete, Parker was placed into a private room where she lay, still unconcious.