Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

disclaimer is in part one.



The Truth Hurts
Part 4

by N.R. Levy







Jarod tried desperately to shake the growing sense of dread that was trying to overwhelm him. Surely, nothing could have gone that wrong. Parker had gone ahead to the castle without him. It was not the first time she had acted alone, and she was more than capable of caring for herself. Perhaps it was just the change in their status that was making him worry so much.

"Perhaps it's the mysterious phone call, Jarod," said the voice inside of his head. Smiling slightly, he wished he, like Parker, heard trustworthy voices in his head, and not just the annoying old-tape of self-doubt that plagued him whenever she was concerned.

Driving down the road, headed toward the rendezvous point they had used before, Jarod thought back to the mysterious photo they had both received so many months ago, and how it had led to this new and still landmine-filled territory of their relationship. If he'd thought simply trying to win back her friendship was challenging...well, that task seemed as simple as Hercules' 12 labors to him now when compared to navigating the waters of being Parker's...actually, he still wasn't sure what to call it. Boyfriend seemed all wrong and lover somehow didn't seem descriptive enough.

It amused Jarod to no end that he was capable of being anything, yet he couldn't quite describe what he actually was. For the first time in so long, he was something, and here he was, lost for the name of it. He had, once up on a time, been someone's son, someone's brother, someone's friend, yet those all seemed labels left behind him now. His friends and family were on the other side of the world. Sydney was back at the Centre, still trying to "find" him. His father, the boy and Emily were in California, hiding from the Centre while Emily completed her recovery, which had included intensive physical therapy. Ethan was still among the missing, his only contact at all coming in a cryptic message received by Parker more than two months ago. They were still trying to figure out the meaning behind his e-mail: "There is danger in the truth. There is safety in remembering."

Shaking his head, Jarod turned off the road, parking in front of MacLeod's, the pub he and Parker had used as their base of operations before meeting up with Violet. She would stop here, if for no other reason than to say hello to Connor, and the old man might be able to tell him how long it had been since she passed. He looked up as he closed the car door, his eyes taking in the sun's rays as they peeked through the clouds that had earlier doused the countryside with rain. Shivering a bit, he made his way inside.

"Jarod, it's about time ye made it back."

"Good to see you, Connor."

The two men embraced warmly, then Jarod took a seat at the bar as the pub owner returned to his duties behind the bar.

"Connor, have you seen Parker today?"

"Aye, Lad, I have. She's agreed to run off wit me to Tahiti. 'Friad that's bad news for you, eh, friend?"

Connor saw Jarod try to smile, but worry was the stronger feature that showed through on the younger man's face.

"You're not worried about that blue-eyed lass, are ye? If ye are, ye'r just bein' damnable foolish. Trouble'd be too afraid to mess with that one."

Sighing, Jarod nodded his head. He'd been inside barely two minutes and already he felt his nerves beginning to unravel. Something was wrong.

"How long ago did she stop by?"

"Quite a while now. She popped in 'bout half past one. Said she was hed'in up to the caer."

Standing, Jarod moved and stood in front of the window, his eyes searching outside, hoping to will Parker's car to pull up into the driveway. She could have been to the castle and started back by now, and chances were, he'd pass her on the road. Or she could be at the castle or on the road somewhere and be in terrible trouble. Jarod quickly turned back toward Connor.

"If she stops back and she hasn't seen me, tell her to wait here for me."

"Aye, I'll never mind keeping that Lass within reach. You go on now."

Jarod nodded once more, then headed out of the pub and back toward his car. He was just climbing in when his eyes fell on the woman returning to her car at the small shop three buildings over from Connor's place. She had long blond hair, tinted with gray, and something about her seemed very familiar to Jarod. The woman paused before climbing in, her head turning in Jarod's direction, her eyes focused out somewhere in the distance. It was in that moment that the Pretender fell into almost total shock.

"Mom."

He whispered the word, and by the time he thought to yell it, she had already climbed into her car and closed the door. Realizing it would be foolish to try and run after her, Jarod did the only thing he could do - he climbed into his own car and drove in the same direction as the woman. He followed her as closely as he dared, yet he had to slow down when he noticed her driving faster, perhaps spooked by his presence.

The two cars continued down the road, all the while getting closer and closer to the mysterious castle that might house all of the secrets about Jarod and Parker's pasts. The fact that this woman who looked so like his mother was heading in that direction - it only made Jarod's belief that much stronger that he was in fact following the right path. That all changed when the car that perhaps held his long-sought-after mother took a sharp right turn and began traveling down another road.

Inside the lead vehicle of this mini-pursuit, Margaret took out her cell phone and dialed.

"It's time. Do as we discussed, and do it now. Donal, don't be an idiot. Of course send Fergus to do it. I don't want Jarod to know you're involved. Now, do as you were told."

With those words spoken, Margaret disconnected the line and drove on, her eyes checking the mirror to make certain Jarod was still behind her. She wondered how much further he would follow. The distance would tell her a lot about her son's commitment to Miss Parker.

In the other vehicle, Jarod's mind swirled. This was the one person from his past he had been unable to find, and yet Parker was somewhere, possibly in trouble. He continued following the car, yet his mind left him, instead traveling to a not-so-long-ago night at Violet's inn. On that night, he had found something he had only dreamed of, and now here he was, such a short time later, risking everything that night had spawned with Parker in order to chase a dream.

After all, what were the chances that this woman was really his mother? So many times in the last five years, he'd been certain he'd seen her only to realize he'd been mistaken. And because that photo of she and Catherine Parker had brought him to this country - brought them, he corrected - perhaps it had fueled his imagination into wishing he'd seen his mother.

That thought was all he needed to slam onto his brakes and make a swift u-turn that would take him back to the castle's main road. Parker was what mattered now, and once he found her and made certain she was safe, they would find his mother together.

Margaret watched the car spin around and head back down the road. She turned around and parked, waiting a while to travel back herself so that her plan could play itself out. It had taken Jarod only fifteen minutes to decide on his priorities. That was impressive. It would be interesting to see how his devotion was tested once he and his beloved were reunited.






Another half hour of driving time passed for Jarod, his mind fixed now on one goal - finding Parker. Still, he couldn't help but stop when he saw a man in an old broken down truck on the side of the road.

"Can I offer you a hand?"

"Oh, thanks, Lad, but I'm 'bout done here. Bad tire. Do ye mind if I ask, where are ye off to? There's only a few small farms and the castle out this way."

"I'm headed toward the castle, actually," replied Jarod. "A friend of mine was going there, and I'm trying to find her."

"Ah, ye wouldn't be speakin' of the blue-eyed lass, now would ye?"

At that description, Jarod's eyes lit up. "Yes, you've seen her?"

"Aye, man. She passed by her nearly an hour ago. Offered to help me to. I told her to get on home before it got dark."

"So she was headed back to town?"

"Aye, she was."

Jarod sighed with relief. She would stop at Connor's, and when he returned, she would be waiting there for him.

"You're sure I can't offer you any help?"

"No, Lad. Go on and find yer lass. This isn't a night to be alone."

"Have a good night then, and thanks."

Jarod climbed back into his car, his heart a thousand times lighter. She was fine. He must have missed her while he'd been chasing his ghost down the other road. Part of him wanted to kick himself in the hind quarters for getting distracted, but Jarod reminded himself that now it didn't matter. In a little while, they would be together again.

As Jarod drove off, Fergus looked on, almost feeling sorry for the poor boy. He was about to lose everything, and he would have no idea that his own mother had been the architect of it all. Sighing, he reached into his truck and pulled out a cell phone.

"Donal, tell her it's done."






He was fifteen minutes from Connor's, fifteen minutes from Parker when the flashing lights up ahead came into view. Jarod pulled over quickly, upset to be delayed, but knowing it was the right thing to do. Someone might need a doctor, and he could certainly fit the bill. He saw the black car, it's front end smashed into the tree. There were several police cars there, and he headed over toward the man who appeared to be in charge.

"Is anyone hurt?"

The police officer looked up and eyed Jarod cautiously.

"Aye. We've an ambulance on the way."

"I'm a doctor back in the States. I could help."

"It doesn't look to be too serious, but we can't get her to wake up. Couldn't hurt to have ye take a look."

Jarod nodded and turned toward the car as the officer waved to the others, indicating it was okay to let this new player approach. In a few strides, Jarod was at the car door, which was standing open. He leaned inside and suddenly there was no air left in his lungs as he saw who was lying unconscious in the front seat.

"Parker."