Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in Part 1




The Truth Hurts
Part 20

by Michele and Trish..




All evening long, Geilie had been moody, distracted, and fearful. One thought kept pounding in her head.....she needed to unburden herself. Geilie wanted to say something but chnaged her mind and remained silent. Lilas gave a faint smile. A kind smile, sweet and gentle, soothing really.

"I ken feel the pain an fear in ye, Gilly," Lilias said, so intent was Geilie on her thoughts, that she hadn't noticed Lilas's hand around her shoulders, pulling her close. She felt Geilie tremble a little and then allowed her head to briefly rest on her shoulder.

"I canna believe it be happ'in again, Missus Ross," Geilie sighed. Lilias took Geile's head in her hands, looking her in the eye.

"Nay, ye need not be formal wi' me, Gilly. Come sit. There be much we need to talk of. Of things ye know."

Lilias settled on the sofa. She was so like Violet except for her eyes. They were so deep and so old that looking into them made it hard to imagine anything about her had ever been young. Geilie settle next to her.

" Ye miss her, aye," there was a saddness in the words. Geilie thought before she answered. It was only days ago and yet it seemed like eons. Yet it wasn't Voilet's passing that stung deep in her heart, it was the knowledge that history was about to repeat itself in the small town of Inverness.

" I'll recover but some wounds to the heart are much to deep," Geile whispered.

Lilias nodded gravely. " Fool's hope, I fear."

When Geile started to object, Lilias shook her head. "Oh, yes. Gifted yes, omipotnent nay. The truth ..." Lilias looked away, almost as if she were gazing into another world. Lilias brushed a strand of her auburn hair away from her face before focusing on Geilie. Sensing a deep sorrow, she took hold of the older woman's hand.

" I dinna tell him ...hid the truth from the lad." Geilie's eyes misted over with tears.

"Show me." Geilie reached her hand into her pocket and slowly withdrew the letter that she had found on the lass' pillow. She clutched it tightly, her hand shaking as she placed it hurriedly into the outstretched hand of Lilias.

***

Parker was gazing out the window waiting for lunch when her eyes grew too heavy to keep open, and she fell asleep.

Her first dream was simple and sweet.

It was the second half that made her wake up screaming.

The dream had started simply enough. She had never dreamed so wonderfully before. She was so happy, free from pain and sadness. She sat in an familiar garden surrounded by fragrant rose bushes. She was sitting cross-legged on sweet, cool grass in the middle of the gardens, wearing nothing but a white cotten shift, and at her breast suckled a newborn baby. Parker's lips curved in a smile and she gently stroked the soft dark down of the baby's head. Tiny fingers, perfectly formed, kneaded at her. Parker felt infinitely fortunate to be here in this place and with this child, and she cuddled the baby as close as she dared, crooning as he continued to nurse. A shadow fell across her lap and Parker looked up, startled at this intrusion. She tried to stand but to her horror couldn't; her eyes locked on the figure present. The enemy...

"He belongs to me," the figure whispered."Both of them."

"No, they don't!" Parker cried. "They don't!"

"Yes, Miss Parker." The eyes of her enemy were blazing with hatred. Her voice dropped to a whisper, low and seductive. "There's no point in fighting me, child. Blood calls to blood. And they are of my blood. Give him to me!" Her hands reached out for the infant.

"No!" cried Parker. She screamed---a real scream so loud that she woke herself. She sat up, staring into the darkeness that had fallen, even though awake, she could sense the evil. Although trembling with horror, she heard a sound---tiny indistinct, echoey. The sound came again---- 'Never'.

Seconds later, Alasdair and Ethan came running to her, both kneeling beside her to ask what had happened, if she was all right.

She flung her arms around Ethan's neck and clung to him, seething with fury. "She's responsible for all this."

"So you now know, the truth," Ethan murmured.

"The truth, oh god, the truth is something I could never have fathomed. I need to get him away from her, Ethan. She's not going to win, I won't let Margaret Abbott succeed, " she said to her brother, struggling with the distrubing thoughts that shadowed her memory.

Alasdair's eyes darkened at the mention of the name, and his fingers clenched the arm of the chair so tightly that his knuckles started to turn white. " If Maggie Abbott be back, then Lilias needs to know," murmured Alasdair, angrily " I best called her."

***

Lilias settled the letter on her lap, her eyes glancing at Geilie one last time, before her voice filled the small room:

Lass,
If ye be readin this letter, then ye know that evil 'as returned to ye and your lad, for me it began many many years ago when I'd ben wandering up in the hills near the Caer. I been out huntin', poachin' really. When sudden, I heard footsteps and voices, angry voices above me. I froze more from fear at being caught, for this time would surely have sent me to the constable's cell. Moving quietly, with a stealth I not known, I slipped into the bushes at the side of the Caer. It was not long when a man and woman appeared on the Caer's walkway. In the moonlight, I could make out their faces. I recognized the man, he'd come to our small town to take photographs of Caer Erract, Lachlan Abbott. The woman, she was unknown to me at the time. Yet known to the man. The chill I felt when I looked at her came from somewhere deep within, a terror that I could not explain.

Their argument was lost to the winds and I thought ended when there came the god awful sound. I will ne'ver forget that sound. The silent scream that emanted from his mouth, but it was the sickening thud that followed when he hit the rocks below that haunts me. I caught a glimpse of the woman standing above, looking down o'er the parapet, a twisted perverse smile on her features before she turned away, calling for someone named Nigel. I scrambled as quick as I could o'vr the rocks, and found the poor man. He lay twisted and broken but still breathing when his hand clutched at my jacket. His last words before he turned his head and died where-' my own blood is the devil incarnate'. I grabbed my bow as well as the man's camera, unbeknowst to me and headed for home. It wasn't till I reached me cottage that I realized that I had his camera. She found me. I ripped me jackt and it was that which led her to me. I lied and said I dinna know what she be talking about. Her laugh filled the cottage and her promise to see me hang for murder hung heavy in the air.

Murder, blackmail as well as harm to loved ones roll off this Sassenach's tongue. They are nay threats. There be one at the inn that does the Sassenach's dirty work as well, beware of who ye trust, lass. He means not to betray ye but his grandson's life hangs in the balance.

Fergus Campbell

Silence hung in the room momentarily only to be interrupted by the urgent voice of Marley.

"Aunt Lil, Uncle Alasdair be on the phone. Ye can take it in the office." Marley looked from her Aunt to the woman seated on the couch next to her and noticed that Geilie's cheeks were stained with tears. "What's wrong?"

"Geilie's had a wee bit of an upset," Lilias said softly, then exited the room.

The woman's hands betrayed her restlessness, stroking the engraved golden band with a thumb and fiddling with it occasionaly. The hands told the story---and the jaws, clenching and unclenching. The crackle of the fire and the drum of rain beyond the windows, soothing under most circumstances, did nothing to ease the visible tension in the room.

Nor was Margaret its sole contributor, her companion revealed his nervousness but drumming his fingers against his leg. Margaret placed a hand on his in reassurance, but the drumming of the fingers would only pause, to resume almost immediately when she withdrew .

"Just for tonight, please," he murmured.

The minutes passed. Only the crackle of the fire and Jarod's shallow breathing intruded on the steady lull of the rain. Margaret cast one last glance over her son's shoulder, before shuddering visible, for effect. Then shook her head.

"You're sure this place is safe," she whispered.

"Yes, St. Gilleabart's. It's mostly ruins but ...." he started to say but she place a finger on his lips. Margaret sighed and moved her head, lips parting slightly and tongue moistening long-dry tongue. A small smile, which disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Yes, Jarod, she thought, St. Gilleabart's will do nicely.