Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Legal disclaimer: The recognizable characters of the TV-show 'The Pretender' don't belong to me but to MTM, NBC Television and 20th Century Fox. I just borrowed them. Every other character does belong to me. This story was only written and published for my pleasure and that of other fans. I don't pursue any financial interests whatsoever. No copyright infringement is intended.

The story: Miss Parker gets a pleasant surprise - and another, not so pleasant one...

For Cate, the relentless reader. Thanks for still supporting me after all this time!



Insights
Part 5

by Miss Bit




Five weeks later
Dr. Simmerson's office
Blue Cove, Delaware
08:49 a.m.



The walls of the examination room were shining in a bright blue tone which was probably meant to be reassuring. Miss Parker was feeling anything but calm. An unreasonable restlessness had seized her, and somewhere deep inside of her a certain idea demanded more and more of her attention. But right now she refused to even think about it.

Dr. Simmerson had left the room almost ten minutes ago. Her restlessness became more intense. For almost three weeks she had been feeling... unwell. There were a lot of possible explanations for that, of course. And this wasn't the first time her period was overdue...

The door opened and Dr. Simmerson returned. He was an elderly man who emanated a reassuring mixture of care and friendliness. Usually the expressions he wore on his good-natured face were quite plain but right now Miss Parker found it difficult to tell what he was thinking. Dr. Simmerson walked over to his desk, sat down and opened the manila folder that contained the results of her examination. Miss Parker watched him with some worry. Normally he didn't act so secretively.

Eventually he looked up. His brown eyes were gleaming friendly as he finally told her the results.

"Congratulations, Miss Parker", he said happily. "You're pregnant."

She let out her breath, unconscious of the fact that she had held it. Pregnant.

"Pregnant?" she repeated aloud.

"Yes. There can be no doubt about it! You're five weeks pregnant."

Miss Parker stared at him with unbelieving eyes. Not that she hadn't guessed so, but to suddenly have the certainty was a completely different matter. She was expecting a child. Her child. Jarod's child. When she said nothing Dr. Simmerson continued. "I haven't got all of the results yet but at the moment everything seems to be perfectly all right."

It was only now that she remembered him being there with her.

"The child is healthy?" she asked him.

"Yes, it is", the doctor reassured her with a warm smile. When he noticed her hesitation he sobered and leaned forward a bit. "Learning that they are pregnant is quite a shock for a lot of my patients. I'm sure you know that there are several possibilities for you now..."

She shot him a surprised glance.

"This child is not unwanted", she stated fervently. "It's just unexpected, that's all." Her gaze wandered to her flat stomach that didn't reveal any signs of her pregnancy yet. Carefully she put one of her hands over it. Pregnant. Miss Parker tried to imagine Jarod's reaction to the news. A child meant such a great responsibility and they hadn't even talked about having children yet. Maybe he didn't want to have children...

"Do you want to know the baby's sex?" Dr. Simmerson interrupted her musings.

"You already know that?" she asked him, slightly astonished. Dr. Simmerson's smile returned.

"Well, not right now, but if you want me to I'll be able to tell you in a few days."

Miss Parker nodded absently. "Yes, fine."

A completely new emotion began to blossom in her heart. All her thoughts were focused on the new life that she now knew was growing in her womb. A child. Love for her child flooded through her, filling her with joy and happiness. She raised her head to meet her doctor's gaze.

"Thank you, Dr. Simmerson. Thank you very much."

"But what for, Miss Parker?" he replied warmly. "You should come back next week. There are some more tests I want to run on you - the both of you."

"Okay, I... we'll be there."

Miss Parker rose; Dr. Simmerson got up as well.

"Take good care of yourself, Miss Parker", he said.

"I will", she replied. 'I will always take care of you', she promised her unborn child.

***

On her way back home her thoughts were revolving around Jarod. She felt strangely insecure. How would he react? She knew that he loved her. But until now they had had a relationship without any obligations. They had talked about the future, of course, but these talks had mostly been about the end of the Centre, never about starting a family.

Maybe Jarod would think that she had got pregnant in order to try and bind him to her. What if he started to regard her as a burden now? This thought was unbearable for her, but no matter how hard she tried to suppress it, it kept nagging at the brink of her consciousness.

Eventually she came to a decision. She wouldn't inform Jarod about the pregnancy yet - first she would try to find out what he thought about it.

Something inside of her whispered that she was acting silly, that there was absolutely no reason for her to fear his reaction. But her restlessness prevented her from listening to the voice of reason.

****

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
09:25 a.m.



Miss Parker unlocked the front door. Even before she had fully opened it she heard Jarod's voice.

"Marine?" He sounded surprised. She went into the living-room where Jarod was sitting in front of his Notebook, working on the solution of a problem that was halting Broots' work.. Jarod shot her a quick glance.

"Did you forget something?" he asked, only a slight trace of amusement evident in his eyes.

"No, I..." Miss Parker felt how his gaze made her waver in her decision. She wanted to tell him - but she didn't dare to. For a short moment a feeling of panic washed through her, but she immediately suppressed this notion and forced herself to smile. With a little luck it would be good enough to deceive him. "On my way to the Centre I was thinking about Angelo", she answered evasively.

He watched her attentively, but he didn't seem to guess anything.

"I think he likes helping us a lot - it's fun for him", he said. Miss Parker nodded.

"I'm sure it is but... I've been thinking about his future."

Damn, why on earth had she come back home, anyway? She should have gone directly to the Centre. But at least she wasn't lying to Jarod. During the last weeks she had really thought a lot about Angelo. "What will become of him once the Centre is destroyed? He won't have anywhere to stay then."

Jarod nodded pensively. "Yes, you're right. I've thought about that, too. Did you have anything in particular in mind?"

"It would be great of you if you could find a new place for him to stay at. I'd do it myself but right now it's next to impossible for me to vanish from the Centre for longer than a few hours."

"You know that you can count on me", Jarod replied. He rose and bridged the distance between them, then he pulled her gently into his arms. "If it helps both you and Angelo I'll be glad to do it", he reassured her. She nestled her head on his shoulder, drawing strength from his being near. Jarod held her a bit away from him, looking at her worriedly.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked her, gently putting one of his hands under her chin. "Something's bothering you, isn't it?"

Miss Parker briefly shut her eyes, then she nodded.

"A lot has happened during the last few days - maybe too much", she said softly, shrugging slightly. "Really, Jarod, I'm okay."

"Hm, all right. You know what? Tonight I'm gonna coddle you a bit, okay? And tomorrow I'll start my search for a new home for our friend Angelo."

"Sounds really good", Miss Parker answered. "Except for the part where you go away, of course."

He chuckled softly. "I'll be back by your side as soon as possible", he promised her. She cupped his face in her hands and kissed him.

"I'll take your word for it", she let him know.

***

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next day
08:34 p.m.



It had been a long day for Miss Parker. Now all she longed for was some time on her own, nice and calm. But her thoughts didn't do her the favor. Ever since Jarod had left early this morning she had been feeling restless. She had been lacking in concentration all day long and she simply hadn't managed to distract herself.

After staring out of the window for a while Miss Parker sighed heavily and got up. She went into the kitchen to make herself some tea but then she changed her mind. Tea wasn't going to make things better. Miss Parker returned to the living-room. Why did she feel like a caged animal? Maybe a little walk would make her feel better...

The doorbell interrupted her thoughts. Great. She really wasn't in the mood for guests but it might be important. After a second, even heavier sigh she went to the door. Sydney stood outside, a lopsided grin on his face.

"Hello, Miss Parker. I hope I'm not disturbing you."

Seeing him filled her with unexpected relief. Talking to him might just do the trick and calm her down. She could confide in him, tell him everything that was bothering her. Maybe he could even offer her some advice.

"Sydney!" She didn't mind that her voice betrayed her relief. "I'm glad you're here." Miss Parker invited him in and followed him into the living-room. He took a seat in one of the armchairs. A knowing smile curved his lips.

"You've probably already guessed why I'm here", he said calmly. "You seemed a little absent today so I wondered if there's anything bothering you. Besides, I thought I might get a chance to meet this mysterious stranger that you don't want to talk about."

His good-natured curiosity made her chuckle - for the first time this day. Sydney's smile deepened with satisfaction.

"That's much better", he said softly.

"Aw, Sydney", she sighed. She made a few steps towards the verandah door, then she turned to face him again. "Can I confide something to you?" she asked quietly. He looked at her attentively.

"You can tell me everything, Miss Parker."

"It's very personal. You must promise me that you won't tell anyone."

Worry was evident in his eyes now.

"Is everything all right? Is something wrong with you?"

Miss Parker laughed softly. She wondered if her mother had had a similar conversation with Sydney all those years ago. Not that she couldn't imagine it - Catherine had trusted Sydney. And so did Miss Parker. With a gentle movement she folded her hands protectively over her stomach.

"I am pregnant, Syd."

She watched his reaction with a mixture of amusement and anxiety. At first she saw unbelieving awe, next was tentative joy. Miss Parker smiled. He got up and walked over to her, hugging her tightly.

"Miss Parker, that's wonderful!"

"Yes, it is", she affirmed happily. Sydney let go of her, taking a few steps backward to watch her closely. Apparently there were a thousand questions running through his mind.

"Since... Since when do you know?" he finally wanted to know.

"Since yesterday", she replied. For a moment she managed to forget everything that was troubling her. She could see that Sydney was trying to reach a decision.

"What about the father?" he asked in a careful tone. Miss Parker shook her head.

"He doesn't know. I don't want him to."

Sydney's expression changed to one of utter surprise. "I do know that this isn't really my concern but I want to help you. I want you to be happy. It was too late for me to help your mother but I won't let the same thing happen with you", he stated fervently.

"It's rather complicated."

"Just let me help you. Please, Miss Parker."

His loving care almost managed to make her forget her worries. Almost.

"I won't tell him." The resolve in her voice almost astonished herself. This time Sydney was the one to sigh.

"If that's what you want... I'll respect your decision", he said slowly. "He loves you, doesn't he?" His tone made it clear that he couldn't imagine it any other way. Miss Parker smiled, in spite of herself.

"Yes. Yes, he does."

"And yet you don't want to tell him that he's gonna be a father."

She remained silent. Sydney tilted his head to the side.

"If he loves you, he will also love your child."

"We have never even talked about having children! He... had a difficult childhood. I believe that right now a child would only be a burden for him."

Miss Parker looked at him. He looked as though he wanted to say something but then he thought better of it. Eventually he did give her a piece of advice.

"It's your decision. There's only one more thing I want to tell you. Talk to him. It will help the both of you. And your child."

She knew he was right but she couldn't do it - she was too afraid. How on earth would Sydney react if he knew that this was about Jarod? He'd definitely be surprised. Shell-shocked even. No, she couldn't tell him. Damn, why did everything have to be so very complicated?

"Miss Parker?"

Sydney had put a hand on her arm. "Are you all right?"

"For now, yes." She almost managed to convince herself.

"Do you want me to leave?" he asked gently.

"No, please stay. I... don't want to be alone right now."

He nodded. "I'll stay with you, then."

****

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next day
01:37 p.m.



"Parker! Wait."

Miss Parker stopped. The voice belonged to Lyle. The thought of meeting him made her shiver with disgust but still she waited till he had reached her. Ever since her return she had evaded him, and he seemed to have done the same. His expression was blank when he halted his steps right in front of her.

"I've got to talk to you", he said calmly.

"No."

"But it is important", he insisted. She made a step backwards.

"I don't want to talk to you", she replied brusquely. "I don't even want to see you, to be more precise." She watched his face, saw his facade of calm cracking ever so slightly. There was an intensity in his eyes that almost made her listen to him.

"I know all about your little secret, Parker", Lyle let her know. An icy feeling of terror washed through her with tremendous speed. 'Nobody knows about Jarod and me', she tried to calm herself. 'And only Sydney knows about the child.' "Though it was really clever of you to disguise your actions by using this virus, I've got to admit that", her brother continued. Miss Parker almost fainted with relief. This wasn't about Jarod.

"Get lost and leave me alone!" she hissed. His knowing about her actions wasn't a threat to her plan - it was too late for him to do anything about it. Lyle's eyes narrowed.

"Dammit, Parker! This is serious. You've got to listen to me." He grabbed her by the arm, trying to stress his point. She tried to free herself but his grip was too tight.

And then something unforeseen happened.

The physical contact established a connection between them, a mental connection. Miss Parker tried desperately to fight against it but to no avail.

At first she only had impressions of fragmentary words and single images, but then she plunged into a whirl of reminiscences and emotions. She heard her own terrified scream as if coming from a great distance - and then, as suddenly as it had started, the horrible experience ended. Lyle had let go of her arm. Anger and confusion waged a short but intense war in Miss Parker, and the anger won out for the moment.

"Don't ever touch me again!" she yelled, enraged. She was still struggling to regain control over herself, when she looked into his eyes. There was surprise in his eyes but she was way too angry to think about it. With a swift movement she turned and left Lyle behind. It wasn't until she reached Angelo's room that she took notice of her surroundings again. Miss Parker had actually wanted to return to her office, but her subconscious had led her here - because she thought this room to be one of the safest in the Centre. And Angelo's presence was always very comforting to her.

Angelo wasn't there yet Miss Parker stayed. Trembling, she sank down onto a chair. With her eyes shut she thought about what had just happened. It shouldn't have happened. Actually she should be able to prevent something like that from happening.

The fact that Lyle was her twin brother was probably the reason for this... accident. Their relation must have encouraged the contact. Miss Parker hugged herself tightly. She had sensed intense emotions in Lyle - but that wasn't what was frightening her so. What she had learned from his memory frightened her much more. She will get one last chance - then you may do whatever you think to be appropriate. These were the words of her father. Her own father.

A wave of nausea began to build in her, and it had nothing to do with her pregnancy. Somehow she managed to fight it back. How could he let that happen? How could he say something like that? She had to calm down. All this excitement was not good for her child. Miss Parker concentrated on the unborn life that was growing in her womb, tried to block out every other thought. Jarod's child. Ever so slowly her breathing went back to normal and she began to relax.

What remained was the question why Lyle had wanted to talk to her. But she could live without knowing the answer if it meant that she didn't have to meet him again. After taking a few deep breaths Miss Parker rose to go back to her office.

Fortunately, she didn't encounter anyone on her way so that she could fully concentrate on regaining control. In front of her office she almost ran into her secretary.

"Tell Sam to come here. Immediately."

"Yes, Miss Parker."

He rushed away, and Miss Parker entered her office. She didn't have to wait long for her Sweeper. It was only a few minutes later when he knocked on her door. He came in as she asked him to. Waiting patiently, he moved into position in front of her desk.

"Sam, I've got some instructions for you. I want you to keep an eye on Mr. Lyle. And if he does anything that you think might endanger the Centre's - or my - safety, I want you to intervene. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, Miss Parker." If he thought her instructions to be strange, he kept it to himself. He was trustworthy; he would protect her reliably.

"All right. You may leave, then", she dismissed him. He nodded solemnly and left her office. Miss Parker leant back in her armchair. How much she wished she could go home to meet Jarod. But that was impossible. They were now in the last phase of the plan, and that was why she had to stay at the Centre. There was so much left to do.

***

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next day
03:01 a.m.



"...but a menace to all of us", Raines was hissing angrily. Old Parker grimaced - hard to tell whether he was annoyed or simply bored.

"She is my daughter after all, Raines."

"Since when are family bonds of any importance to you?"

"I won't give my permission just like this", Parker thundered, clearly angry now. "She will get one last chance - then you may do whatever you think to be appropriate."

"Now that's a reasonable decision", Raines wheezed mockingly, but then he continued angrily. "Your hesitating about Catherine's interference caused us a lot of trouble."

"Something like that won't happen again. You've got my word for that."

"I really hope so."

Raines turned around and walked to the door.

***

Miss Parker woke with a start, trembling and disorientated. It took her a few seconds to recognize her surroundings. It was only when her gaze met the sleeping form of Jarod beside her when she calmed down. Fortunately he had returned from his search the previous evening.

A nightmare. It had only been a nightmare. But she knew that there was more to it.

Carefully, so that she would not rouse Jarod, she got out of bed and left the bedroom. Walking through the darkness in her house Miss Parker made her way to the bay window. Here she could relax and think about everything. She made herself comfortable, drawing her legs close to her body.

Her nightmare was more than just that - and it hadn't come from her. She had seen one of Lyle's memories. She will get one last chance - then you may do whatever you think to be appropriate. Miss Parker squeezed her eyes shut. Something like that won't happen again. You've got my word for that.

Her father's words refused to leave her mind, no matter how hard she tried to ignore them. The pain and the disappointment they caused were almost unbearable. Why did he keep doing this to her?

She forced her thoughts in a different direction. Lyle. He had overheard the discussion between Raines and their father. Was that the reason why he had wanted to talk to her? To warn her? That was hard to imagine, but she couldn't simply dismiss this possibility. Maybe he was merely Raines' dirty little helper. Miss Parker tried to remember what Lyle had felt during their brief contact. She didn't manage to bring any order in the chaos of Lyle's emotions.

Her own emotions threatened to get out of control as well. The stress of the last days and the pregnancy cost her dearly now. She drew in a wavering breath.

"Marine?"

Startled, she jerked her eyes open. Jarod was standing in front of her, watching her intently. He emanated a mixture of warmth and security. Miss Parker wordlessly stretched out her arms, and he folded her in his arms.

"What's wrong?" he asked after a few minutes, his voice containing an almost fearful undertone. Slowly, reluctantly, she freed herself from his embrace. She tried to smile reassuringly but a look into Jarod's eyes told her that she had failed miserably.

"Just a nightmare, Jarod", she whispered. "I'm better now. Really."

"Are you sure?" He watched her suspiciously.

"Mhm. Come on, let's go back to bed."

Jarod hesitated a moment longer, then he gave in. He reached for her hand as they went back to the bedroom.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he offered as a last try to help her. Miss Parker smiled lovingly, but she shook her head.

"No. Just hold me tight."

"My pleasure", Jarod replied immediately. They lay down on the bed, and Miss Parker snuggled up to Jarod. For a brief moment her thoughts returned to Lyle. 'Perhaps I should talk to him tomorrow', she mused, and then she concentrated exclusively on Jarod's warm and comforting presence next to her.

***

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
09:12 a.m.



Though the sun was shining Miss Parker was shivering as she was standing in front of the Centre's main building. She tried not to think about last night's nightmare. It had distressed her greatly but thanks to Jarod's loving presence she had managed to fall asleep again.

"Parker?"

Miss Parker turned her head to watch the figure that was walking towards her. Lyle. About an hour ago she had left a note on his desk, telling him that she was willing to at least listen to him. And now he was here.

"So what is it you wanted to tell me yesterday?" she asked as he had reached her.

"Ah, you finally came to your senses", was his reply.

"I've never lost them", she quipped. "Let's just say I'm... curious now."

He shrugged. "Good enough for me." For one long moment he just looked at her, and she got the impression that he was about to say something but thought better of it at the last moment. "Here, there's something I want to show you", he said and reached for something in his jacket pocket. Miss Parker's eyes widened as she saw what he was about to draw out - a weapon. Terrified, she backed away from him.

And then the events got out of control.

There was a loud bang coming from the general direction of the main building. When Miss Parker realized that it had been the sound of a gun shot, it was already too late. Lyle lowered his head in slow motion. Unbelieving, he stared down on his chest where a single blood stain was growing larger by the second. A second shot shattered the silence, hitting Lyle in the shoulder. The third shot missed him but only because his knees buckled. Lyle sank down on the ground.

It was only now that Miss Parker unfroze. She looked around almost frantically, her own weapon drawn. Her gaze met that of Sam who was running over to them. Sam, whom she had ordered to protect her. The ground seemed to open up beneath her; it was only her willpower that kept her steady on her feet.

"Miss Parker, are you all right?" Sam shouted breathlessly when he got closer. She stared at him first, then at her brother who was lying on the ground, eyes closed. Then she stared back at Sam.

"Get help", she ordered flatly. He stopped dead and shot her an uncomprehending look. "Go and get help", she repeated, louder than before. "Right now."

Sam turned after a quick glance at Lyle, rushing back to the main building. Miss Parker looked down to Lyle. "I should try and fetch Sydney. He is a...", she managed to utter, but Lyle interrupted her.

"No, stay." His voice had lost every trace of its usual smoothness, sounded but strained. He opened his eyes. The finality she saw in his wavering gaze sent a shiver down her spine. Mechanically, she knelt down by his side. All those cruel things he had done to other people came to her mind, and yet she was feeling... regret. Pity. Lyle reached for her hand, took it in his own. She allowed it.

"You're so... soft", he whispered with awe. "Dad has never understood that. He always thought you were like him. But you are... different. Maybe like Mom. Soft. Full of compassion." He paused, drawing in a wheezing breath.

"Lyle..."

"No, just listen to me. Just this once." For a moment she believed to see the hint of a smile on his face. She nodded. "Good."

"Many things between us went awfully wrong, but that's not important anymore. Since I've seen you for the first time I wanted to..."

Miss Parker made a face. "Don't. Lyle, I know your feelings. It's wrong, you must not..."

"I've never known love", he interrupted her, squeezing her hand gently. "Until I met you. I always had the feeling I might be able to love you - but I didn't know how." Her brother closed his eyes, his face contorted by the strain. Miss Parker felt a lump in her throat. She shouldn't mourn his death, and yet...

"I have seen the simulation you've done. A backup of Sydney's disk", Lyle suddenly went on. "And yesterday... I'm only realizing now what really happened. I saw so many things." His voice became softer, and it seemed more difficult for him to keep his eyes open. Miss Parker understood. He was trying to tell her that the contact had been mutual. Lyle had seen part of her memory.

"You and Jarod...", he whispered roughly. "I should have known it. He has always been so close to you." The gaps between his sentences became longer. His gaze rested on her stomach for a moment. "It's a pity", he managed to utter with some effort, "I would have been a great uncle. Even for his child."

"Lyle?" Insecurity made her voice tremble. "Help will be here any minute now." Using his final resources he tried to sit up so that he could look at her. Blood was trickling out of the corner of his mouth. His breathing sounded gurgling now.

"Don't be sad. Never look back... only makes everything harder. So soft... We could have... I... lo..." He breathed out for the last time in his life. His gaze broke and he sank back down, lifeless. Miss Parker stared at him, stunned. Her hand was still resting in his. She simply couldn't tear her eyes away from their hands. For the briefest of moments she had had the brother Raines had taken away from her so many years ago. The monster that Raines had created had vanished and had let her see what could have been.

Silent tears were streaming down her face but she didn't even notice. Carefully she freed her hand from his now cold grip. Her gaze wandered to the gun that had caused this horrible nightmare. She stared at the gun. The ring of fire. The same symbol she had seen on the weapon that had been used to kill her mother. As she carefully pulled the gun from Lyle's pocket she noticed something else in the pocket. A piece of paper. Miss Parker took it as well, hiding both items in her own jacket.

Suddenly her surroundings were teeming with people.

"What has happened here?"

"Is he dead?"

"Miss Parker?"

She knew this voice. When she lifted her head her gaze met Sydney's eyes. He squatted down next to her. "Miss Parker, are you all right?"

The warmth in his voice tore down a barrier within her. She wordlessly shook her head. Sydney put an arm around her shoulder, gently pulling her up with him. From a distance she could hear the squeal of Raines' oxygen tank. Anger built up in her, mingling with the shock and the feeling of loss. "I want to get away from here", she uttered softly.

"Okay, come on. We'll go to my office. No one is going to bother us there - at least for a while."

He began to lead her away but suddenly her father blocked their way. "What happened?" he asked, his voice loud and excited, his face unusually pale. Sydney positioned himself between Mr. Parker and his daughter.

"Miss Parker is in shock. She will come with me now. You'll get your answers later - as soon as she is feeling better", he said firmly. Mr. Parker looked ready to explode, but then he just turned and walked over to the spot where Lyle was still lying, now surrounded by a swarm of medical personnel.

Sydney brought Miss Parker away.

"Is he dead?"

She merely nodded. Yes, her brother was dead. But why did it feel as though she had just died as well? Without any sign of resistance she allowed Sydney to lead her away, completely lost in thought.

***

Sydney's office
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
09:33 a.m.



The air in Sydney's office seemed to be frozen solid. Miss Parker lay on the couch, her eyes closed, worriedly watched by Sydney. Dealing with this situation would ask a lot of her. She had never felt like this before. When her mother had died it had felt completely different. Back then, the world seemed to have stopped, shattering slowly around her. But now... Everything was racing, leaving her no chance to get a grip on the situation or to gather her thoughts.

Miss Parker sat up. Sydney was there, ready to listen to her, to help her. All she had to do was to find a beginning.

"Sydney, do you think it's possible not to know at all what you're feeling? Or how you should be feeling?" she asked him softly. He stood in front of his desk, leaning slightly against it, watching her.

"You're in shock, Miss Parker", he said gently. "It's only natural for you not to be able to analyze your feelings right now."

"I shouldn't be in shock at all!" she snapped. "I should be happy", she continued after a short break, almost inaudibly. "Lyle was a monster. Just to think of what he's done to poor Luca..." Her voice broke, but she refused to cry, held back the tears that were burning in her eyes instead. Lyle had deserved to die. He probably hadn't done a single good deed in all his life. Darn, why was she mourning him now, then? She had hated him!

"Miss Parker?"

Sydney's soft voice interrupted her thoughts.

"I know that your... relationship with your brother wasn't too good. But he was your brother after all."

Miss Parker shook her head. The hint of a smile played briefly about her lips. "No. I've never regarded him as my brother. He meant nothing to me."

She knew it was wrong the second she said it out aloud. True, she had never accepted him as her brother, yet he had played a certain role in her life. But what kind of role?

Sydney sat down next to her, on the edge of the couch.

"Losing Jacob was one of the worst moments in my life", he started softly. "There were so many things I wanted to tell him, to show him. As long as he was still comatose, I could at least believe that he would wake up one day, that everything would be like before. When he died, I had to let go. Let go of him, but also of my hope. Miss Parker, I think you might be feeling something similar. You're not mourning Lyle. You're mourning for Bobby, your twin brother, for the man he could have been if Raines hadn't got him first."

She looked at him. He was probably right. Right now it seemed to her that he knew and understood her feelings better than her. Maybe she simply didn't dare to admit the truth to herself. The fact that she wasn't completely indifferent towards Lyle and his death upset her a bit. Surely Sydney was right and she was only mourning the brother she could have had. Still it didn't seem right to her to feel sad about Lyle's death. Wasn't that unfair towards Luca?

"Raines took away our brothers", she said to distract herself a bit. "Jacob died from the consequences of an accident that was caused by the Centre. Lyle was turned into a merciless monster by Raines. And even Kyle died through Raines' fault. If it weren't for Lyle he could still be alive..."

"I can understand if it makes you feel better to give Raines the fault for everything. But you should know that it will lead you nowhere. Nothing will come from it - except for more hatred." There was a resignation audible in Sydney's voice that told Miss Parker that he had had these thoughts as well.

"Even if I wanted to - I couldn't hate Raines any more than I already do. Only the thought that he will pay for everything soon keeps me from killing him. His death won't help matters. The longer he stays alive, the longer he will have to suffer. And that's that."

"It's not easy to picture Raines behind bars", Sydney mused aloud. Miss Parker said nothing and stared vacantly into space. Her conversation with Sam was playing in her mind again and again. If she hadn't ordered him to... No, that led nowhere. That was wishing for the past to change. Suddenly she remembered something. She got up and pulled Lyle's gun from her jacket.

"Miss Parker?" Sydney sounded alarmed.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to run amok", she reassured him. Her voice took on a flat tone. "This is Lyle's gun; I found it in his jacket. It's similar to the one that my mother's murderer used. I think he wanted to show it to me, but I'm not sure why. Sam thought Lyle was about to..."

"Kill you?" Sydney finished the sentence for her. He rose to stand in front of her. "It was Sam who killed your brother?"

Miss Parker nodded.

"I had asked Sam to have an eye on Lyle." She let out her breath in a long sigh, then she suddenly remembered the piece of paper. After a moment of hesitation she took it out of her pocket. It was only now that she realized that this piece of paper must have been what Lyle had wanted to show her. "Oh no..."

"What's wrong?"

"This piece of paper. That's the damn thing he wanted to show me." She leant against the desk, no longer trusting her legs. The nausea was once more threatening to sweep over her.

"What does it say?" Sydney wanted to know. Miss Parker shrugged.

"I've got no idea. Here, read it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Sydney unfolded the paper. He read the few words in silence. His hand sank down to his side.

"So, what does it say?" Miss Parker asked softly. She wasn't sure if she really wanted to know.

"Miss Parker, I don't know if you...", he began, trailing off mid-sentence. His voice betrayed his consternation.

"That bad?"

He didn't answer but gently led her back to the couch.

"Lyle didn't want to kill you", he explained. "On the contrary, I think he wanted to warn you." He handed her the paper, though with obvious reluctance. Miss Parker was seized by fear as she stared at the piece of paper. It was a printout of two e-mails.



'She's had her chance - and failed us. Now keep your word. R.'

'Do whatever you consider necessary. P.'



The few words stabbed into her heart like icy knives. Her father had given Raines free hand - to kill her. He had crossed the line, the only one she had thought he would respect. She heard a muffled sob - it must have come from her. This time she didn't try to hold back her tears. Sydney pulled her in a comforting embrace as she gave way to her emotions.

****

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
02:02 p.m.


A sound from the outside caught Jarod's attention. He rose in a smooth movement, stretched and went to the front door to take a look outside. A car was parked in front of the house; two people were getting out of it. Jarod saw Sydney and Marine. He felt a twinge of worry. Something had happened.

He watched as Sydney talked to Marine, but she merely shook her head until Sydney gave up. Marine came to the front door while Sydney was reluctantly getting back into the car. Now that she was getting closer Jarod could see how pale she looked. Pale and full of pain. Jarod waited impatiently for Sydney to get out of sight, then he opened the door to meet Marine.

As soon as she saw him her face lit up the slightest bit. Jarod wordlessly pulled her into his arms. She didn't cry but her pain was almost palpable to Jarod. He gently walked her back into the house.

"What has happened?"

"He is dead." Her voice was but a flat whisper. He barely dared to ask the next question.

"Who?"

"Lyle."

Jarod couldn't help but feel relieved. In addition to that he felt grim satisfaction. The man who had killed his little brother was dead. A few moments later his worry for Marine replaced this thought.

"How did..." His voice trailed off. An instant later he started anew. "You don't have to talk about it now."

Marine took a deep breath as she settled down on the couch.

"That's all right, Jarod. I just need a moment or two to get a grip on things. It was an... accident. No, more of a misunderstanding." Marine took a few deep breaths. Jarod took her hand in his. "Yesterday Lyle tried to talk to me, but I didn't want to listen to him", she continued. God, had it really only been yesterday?

"I didn't even want him to be around. So I asked Sam to have an eye on him. Today I agreed to meet Lyle because I had this nagging feeling that he really wanted to tell me something important. The meeting didn't last long. Sam shot him. He thought that Lyle was going to draw his gun on me."

Jarod watched her intently. Lyle's death had upset her but he could only guess why. "How do you feel?"

"Good question", she murmured, then she looked at him dubiously. "I wish I had an answer for that. It... hurts. Though I'm not quite sure why. Lyle was a monster, and I'm sure the world will be a better place without him. But he was my brother, too, that is before Raines got his hands on him. God, Jarod, shortly before he died I had the feeling that I could see his true self for the first time - not Raines' creation but my mother's son. For a short moment I could believe that maybe there was something good in him."

Careful, Jarod pulled her close to him. "I'm sorry, Marine." He understood how she felt. Losing Kyle had felt much like this. His brother had turned away from what Raines had made of him. He had once again become the person he used to be. And then, before Jarod had had the opportunity to really get to know this person, to get closer to his brother, Kyle had died. Oh yes, he knew exactly how Marine was feeling. "It's absolutely okay for you to feel grief about his death. In spite of everything he was your brother - even if he never got the chance to be himself."

As he was holding her in his arms he realized that there was something else. Lyle's death wasn't the only thing troubling her. It might be better for her to talk about it right now.

"What else happened?" he asked gently. Marine looked at him, slightly astonished, but then her lips formed a tender smile. She tenderly touched his cheek.

"It's really nice to have someone who knows me so well", she said. But her short hesitation didn't escape him.

"Come on, Marine. I can only help you if I know what's bothering you", he explained. He gently squeezed her hand, played with her slender fingers. She looked down on their hands, then heaved a sigh.

"It's Dad", she whispered. Vague terror vibrated in her voice. Jarod felt his anger rise. What had this cold-hearted bastard done to her this time? Did he really not care about the fact that he was hurting his daughter again and again? Jarod would never do that to anyone, let alone his own daughter. Since he didn't trust his voice anymore he waited for Marine to continue.

"I don't know why I'm always so surprised about it." She sounded more than frustrated. "But this time... Oh God, I would have never thought that he would go that far. He's my father, God dammit!"

Jarod managed to keep his anger at bay. "What has he done?"

Marine shut her eyes. Her faith in her father had obviously been badly shaken. Whatever Mr. Parker had done this time - it must be worse than any sane person could imagine. It had really disconcerted her.

"Lyle wanted to warn me about him. I've found this piece of paper on Lyle. Here, read it." She handed him a paper that looked rather crumpled to him; after he had read it he could guess why. Even if Marine had never been meant to know this, he still couldn't believe that her father had done this.

"Marine." Jarod didn't have the slightest idea how to comfort her. Not that he thought that there was a comfort for her. "I don't know what I can say to make you feel better. God, I'm so sorry." He shook his head, stunned. "He doesn't deserve you. You should try to forget him."

"He's my father."

"So what? He never acted like it. How often did he hurt you? Has he ever considered your feelings? Marine, I do understand that you can't give him up just like that but he definitely isn't good for you."

"I know", she whispered. "It's hurting, anyway." She was still holding back her tears. Jarod pulled her even closer to him.

"It's okay. Just let go." He gently stroked her back with one hand, trying to calm her. Her muscles felt tense under his fingers. "It's gonna get better. Trust me. I love you." His voice faded to a gentle murmur before it trailed off eventually and he just held her tightly to himself.

****

Tech room
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next morning
07:10 a.m.



Miss Parker stepped hastily to the side as a group of sweepers rushed past her. During the last 24 hours the Centre had become a very hectic place. Sergej's virus was doing a splendid job, and Lyle's death had added to the chaos at the Centre. The strict organization of the Centre was slowly breaking down. Raines was about to have a stroke; he was fervently searching for the person - or persons - that was responsible for the decline of the Centre. Usually, this thought would have made Miss Parker smile but the events of the past day were still troubling her. Fortunately, she had Jarod. Jarod was such a great help to her - by talking to her, or by just being near her. And then there was their child...

She absently evaded another group of Centre employees. Actually, she was grateful for all this excitement. It gave her an excuse to evade her father. For a long while her conscience had pricked her because of him. He would end up behind bars after all. Since yesterday the thought had something attractive to it. If he was sitting in a nice little holding cell he would at least no longer be able to hurt anyone.

Miss Parker reached the tech room. To her astonishment, it was relatively calm there. Apart from Broots and Angelo, no one was there. None of them turned to look at her. Both men were solely concentrated on their work. She walked over to them, stopped next to them and took a close look at them. Broots looked as though he hadn't slept in days - which was probably the case - and his posture seemed rather cramped. The expression on his face was one of utmost concentration. Angelo was concentrated, too - he seemed to be completely in his element. Miss Parker didn't see any signs of exhaustion in his face.

"How's it going?" she asked softly. Broots' head jerked around.

"God, Miss Parker! Do you have to startle us like that?"

For a brief moment, there was the hint of a smile visible in her eyes. "You'd better stop being so frightful, Broots", she teased. "I'd really like to know about your progress."

He let out his breath, grinning.

"It's going better than I ever thought possible. It's working, Miss Parker!"

Broots suddenly looked like an excited little boy.

"Good to hear", she replied dryly, but his excitement was beginning to affect her.

"We spent the last two days deleting all data that might hint to a connection between the Centre and one of us. I think we'll be done in a few more hours. Then all that's left to do will be to hand the evidence to the authorities." Broots tilted his head to the side. "I thought that maybe Jarod would want to do that."

Miss Parker looked at him pensively. "I'll ask him. You said a few more hours. How many more exactly?"

He thought for a moment. "About six, I'd say", he then replied.

"Okay. It'll take the authorities a while to react. According to Jarod we shouldn't expect a reaction until three hours after they got the evidence. I want us - all of us - to be out of here by then. That leaves you no more than seven hours. Are you sure that you have erased every evidence that might hint to us?"

"As sure as can be. We've searched the whole information network of the Centre and have done as much harm as possible. Jarod checked back on our success. If nothing escaped his attention we should be pretty safe." Broots shrugged.

"Good enough for me", Miss Parker answered. She sat down next to Angelo, turning her attention to the PC in front of her. "Time to settle our financial situation, then", she murmured more to herself. Broots watched her with some interest. After a brief moment she returned his gaze. "I haven't been idle these last few weeks. After all we've gone through I only thought it fair for us to get a little... compensation. The Centre owns tons and tons of money. A small part of all this wealth just waits to be transferred to safe accounts."

The technician stared at her unbelievingly. "You stole money from the Centre?"

"Aw, Broots. How can you steal something that's already been stolen? You can only use it for a better cause. Don't you worry about this. You'll need something to live from."

He looked as though about to protest but then he thought better of it. With a nod he turned back to his work. This time, Miss Parker did smile. She would miss Broots.

Miss Parker started the program that she had used during the last phase of her 'job' and typed in some more commands. A few seconds later money had been transferred from the Center to several Swiss accounts. In a few hours no one at the Centre would be left to miss it.

Miss Parker rose. "I'll go and tell Sydney that we're almost done. Will you manage?"

A faint grin lit up Broots' face. "Sure. If not, you're gonna be the first to know."

She laughed softly. "Right. See you later." Before she left the room, she turned to Angelo. "See you tonight", she said softly, gently stroking a strand of hair from his forehead. Then she got on the way to Sydney's office for the last time.

******

Sydney's office
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
09:51 a.m.



The ticking of the big wall clock sounded through Sydney's office, as it had done for all those years he had spent at the Centre. Yet it's rhythm seemed to have changed. Sydney smiled. It used to divide every day at the Centre into small eternities. Now it only counted down the last hours of the Centre.

Miss Parker had left his office more than an hour ago, after having told him that Broots' work was nearly done. She had still seemed a bit shaken to him but that was only natural after all that had happened. Time would heal her wounds; she would learn to deal with it all. Her pregnancy gave her stability, and whoever might be the man in her live, he was also having a good influence on her.

The phone rang. Sydney picked up the receiver.

"Sydney here."

"Hello, Sydney."

"Jarod!" Yes, of course. The end of the Centre marked a milestone in both of their lives; it was only natural for Jarod that he wanted to talk about it.

"Don't you tell me you're surprised to hear from me."

Sydney laughed softly. "I won't, then." He paused for a second. "It's over. You're finally free now, Jarod."

"We're all free now. Tell me, Sydney, how are you feeling?"

"Relieved", Sydney replied immediately. "The days of the Centre's dark machinations are over. I had almost given up hope that this day would come." Sydney fell silent, thinking about all those things he wanted to tell Jarod. Then he suddenly realized that he finally had the time to tell Jarod whatever he wanted to. There was no more Centre to keep them away from each other. Jarod was right - they were all free. Nothing could...

The door to his office was flung open. Mr. Parker stood in the doorway. The expression on his face eliminated the notion that he might have come over for a friendly conversation.

"Syd?" Jarod asked.

"I'll call you back in a minute", Sydney replied, hanging up a moment later. "Is there anything I can do for you?" He turned towards Mr. Parker.

"Where is my daughter?"

"I have no idea." It was even the truth. When Miss Parker had left she hadn't told him what she would do next. But even if he had known, he definitely wouldn't have told Mr. Parker. Parker's eyes narrowed. His angry stare didn't have the desired effect on Sydney. In fact it had no effect at all.

"Be warned, Sydney. You'd better not get into my way."

Sydney raised his eyebrows inquisitively.

"Why should I? Listen, why don't you try her office?"

All he wanted was to get rid of this man as quickly as possible. He was absolutely positive that Miss Parker was not in her office but there was no reason why her father shouldn't find that out for himself. The sooner he left the smaller was the chance that Sydney gave in to the notion of strangling Mr. Parker. It wasn't easy for him to remind himself of the fact that the man had lost his only son yesterday. Lyle's death was the only thing that kept Sydney from giving up the last remains of his politeness.

The muscles in Parker's face were working. Eventually he nodded slowly, then he turned and left Sydney's office. It was Sydney's last encounter with the Centre's old chairman.

******

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
09:59 a.m.



Jarod stared impatiently at his watch. When his cell phone rang he activated the connection immediately.

"Syd?"

"Yes, it's me, Jarod."

The pretender breathed out with relief.

"What happened?"

"Oh, I've just been visited by Mr. Parker. He is searching for his daughter."

"Miss Parker..."

Jarod frowned with worry. Now that Lyle was dead no one could say what Mr. Parker would do. Maybe he would even make Marine responsible for his son's death.

"Are you still in touch with her?"

The pretender bit his lip to suppress his laughter.

"Yes, every now and then", he managed to say. As much as he wanted to tell Sydney about their relationship, he agreed with Marine that they should wait until everything had calmed down a bit.

"I'm a bit worried about her", Sydney confessed. He hesitated a moment before continuing. "It seems that there is... someone in her life. She didn't tell me much about him but..."

"I think you don't need to worry. As far as I can tell he's trying his very best to make her happy."

"Oh, good." Another moment of hesitation was obvious evidence for the fact that there was something else that was troubling Sydney.

"Syd?"

"Yes?"

"Is there anything else you want to talk about?"

Another short pause, barely perceptible. "No. No, I don't think so. Jarod, when all this is over we should meet."

"Sure. It won't be possible during the next few days, but after that..."

"I'm really looking forward to seeing you again."

"Me, too, Sydney. Me, too."

The thought of Sydney's reaction to the news made Jarod smile with amusement. This promised to be a very interesting meeting.

They said good-bye and ended their talk. Jarod leaned back on the couch. It was finally over. Now he could start a new life - together with Marine. Thinking about his future filled him with a profound feeling of joy. Eventually everything was going to be all right.

*****

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
02:32 p.m.



"Are we going home?"

Angelo's question broke Miss Parker's train of thought. She smiled warmly.

"Yes, Angelo. We're going home."

"That is good."

They only had a few more yards to go to Miss Parker's house. While she was parking the car she briefly thought of Broots. He and Debbie were probably packing right now. Sydney and herself would stay a little bit longer to ensure that the authorities would really react in the right ways. It couldn't be much longer now.

As soon as the car came to a stop Angelo was on his way out. Miss Parker didn't hold him back. Their surroundings were safe enough and it had been such a long time since Angelo had last left the strict confinements of the Centre. No one had noticed that they had left together; the chaos at the Centre had prevented that.

When she got out of the car she saw that the front door was opened. The sight of Jarod coming out of the house to meet her made her heart beat faster. She bridged the last few feet between them and let herself get folded in his arms.

"Hello, my heart", he whispered lovingly into her hair. "I missed you."

"Jarod, finally."

He hugged her tightly, then, reluctantly, let go of her again to take a look at Angelo who was exploring his surroundings.

"We've done it, Marine!" Jarod shouted merrily, lifted her from the ground and whirled her around. Miss Parker laughed, all too ready to let herself get infected by his good mood.

"Yes, we have", she confirmed happily. Slowly she realized that he was really right. The authorities were probably just initializing their actions against the Centre. Their plan had really worked. There was just one more thing that was worrying her. Though Broots had deleted everything that might point to one of them, but no one could hinder Raines or her father from mentioning their names. It would be more than difficult for the authorities to find evidence of their existence, though. And even if the authorities were able to find them, they could always turn State's evidence. As far as the Centre was concerned everything was settled.

"Marine? Do you come?"

Jarod looked at her inquiringly. She nodded and reached for his hand.

"Yes. Let's go in."

It took them a moment to convince Angelo to accompany them. Only when they promised him that he would from now on be allowed to go outside as often as he wanted to he followed them inside.

Miss Parker walked behind Angelo and Jarod, watching them lovingly. They both belonged to her family. To the family she had chosen for herself. The thought made her smile, but her smile faded as she remembered that Angelo would leave them this evening.

"Jarod?" she asked softly when they had reached the living room. Angelo looked around curiously and then went out on the verandah. Jarod walked over to her, putting an arm around her waist.

"Hm?"

"Stay tonight. Take Angelo to his new home tomorrow, okay?"

He looked at her searchingly. "You're gonna miss him very much, huh?"

"Of course. We grew up together, after all."

"We'll visit him often", Jarod reassured her. His voice softened. "It'll be soon enough for us to leave tomorrow."

Miss Parker kissed him on the cheek. "Clever decision", she whispered huskily and Jarod pulled her closer to kiss her. The moment ended abruptly when Angelo returned to the living room, almost as euphoric as a small boy on Christmas morning.

"Angelo is free", he declared excitedly.

Jarod took a step away from Miss Parker, a broad grin on his face. "That's right, my friend", he confirmed with some satisfaction. "Anyone else want a hot chocolate?"

Miss Parker suppressed an amused grin. Sometimes it seemed to her as if Jarod had never really grown up. A feature that made him all the more attractive. Angelo nodded emphatically and she shrugged her shoulders. "Why not?"

"Great. Just give me a minute or two." Jarod disappeared into the kitchen. Sighing almost inaudibly, Miss Parker sank down on the couch. After a moment Angelo sat down next to her. He stretched out his hand and she took it in hers. Angelo tilted his head to the side. Several emotions played across his expressive face, emotions she recognized as her own. Eventually his face lit up with profound joy.

"Daughter", he said. Miss Parker drew in her breath in surprise. Was it possible for him to know that? Dr. Simmerson had only told her yesterday that she was expecting a girl. Since then the thought had always spun around in her head - so it had to be quite obvious to Angelo. She wondered briefly if she should ask him not to tell Jarod about it. 'No', she thought, 'it's about time for him to learn it.' It had really been rather silly of her not to tell him right away that she was pregnant with his child. But part of her was still afraid of his reaction.

When Jarod returned Angelo took one of the steaming mugs and went back to the verandah. The view seemed to fascinate him. Jarod took a seat next to her. For a while he just watched her, then he reached out his hand to touch her cheek tenderly.

"So", he asked, "did you plan anything in particular for tonight?" She knew this special tone of voice and couldn't help but smile.

"Oh, you know, these last days have been very hard on all of us. Actually I wanted to go to bed early tonight..."

Jarod returned her smile. "Good idea", he murmured, looking deeply into her eyes. "Do you think now would be too early?"

Miss Parker laughed, feeling carefree and happy for the first time in days. Somewhere in the back of her mind the unpleasant events of the last weeks were still vying for attention but they were already beginning to lose importance. In Jarod's presence her wounds seemed to heal faster, especially those in her soul.

"Maybe a bit", she chuckled. "Besides I wouldn't want to miss the late news", she continued more solemnly. Jarod nodded.

"Yes, I bet they're gonna be interesting." He sighed with mock exasperation. "All right, let's stay up a little bit longer. But what will we do with the rest of this wonderful day?

She thought briefly. "Let's go for a walk", she suggested. "It'll be much more interesting out there for Angelo."

"Yeah, why not?" Jarod's eyes were gleaming and as she looked at him questioningly his smile deepened. "Now I finally get to see the places you grew up in", he explained. Miss Parker tilted her head slightly to the side.

"Dad wasn't all that thrilled about my running around in the 'wilderness'. Fortunately Mom was of another opinion. But every now and then Mom and I set out together. Then she showed me all her favorite places in the woods." A warm smile played about her lips when she thought of the time she had spent with her mother. Before Jarod could even start to worry about her she got up and drew him with her.

"Come on, there's a whole world for you to discover out there!" It would be good for her to say good-bye to the places of her childhood together with Angelo and Jarod.

****

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next day
09:29 a.m.



Angelo was already sitting in the car, playing with the radio, as Miss Parker watched him from the front door. They had already said their good-byes and she was already missing him. Jarod stepped up to her from behind.

"Are you ready?" he asked her gently. Without turning to him she shook her head.

"No. But that doesn't matter - as long as Angelo is ready, and I'm sure he is. He'll like it there."

Even she could hear the slight doubt in her voice.

"Yes, he will. That's a promise, Marine. I've made sure that he will like it. And if he doesn't, we can still take him to our new home."

"Mhm", she murmured, not fully convinced yet but willing to believe Jarod. He stepped around her and pulled her in a brief embrace.

"I'll stay with him for two days, just to make sure he's settling in", he said. Miss Parker nodded. They had talked this through and both of them believed that this was what's best for Angelo. Only this way he would be able to start a new life.

"Hey, it's only two days", Jarod tried to cheer her up. She attempted to smile.

"I know", she replied softly. "But still I'll miss you a lot, Jarod."

"I'll miss you, too. I love you, Marine", he said tenderly. This time she managed a smile, even though it was a rather sad one.

"And I love you. Take care of yourselves, okay?"

"Okay."

He pulled her as close to him as possible, kissing her passionately. Miss Parker thought she could sense an indistinct yearning in their kiss. She kissed Jarod back, almost fiercely, then, reluctantly, she let him go. He stood with her for a moment longer, his forehead lightly touching hers. "When I'm back we'll have a nice long talk, all right?"

"All right." She kissed him again, very slightly, on the lips. Then she watched him go to the car. He waved goodbye to her, and shortly after the car was out of her sight. With a sigh she went back into her house. 'Jarod is right', she tried to cheer herself up. 'It's only two days."

She thought back to the past evening, trying to distract herself. The news had really been interesting - there had already been a few arrests.

Miss Parker walked out on the verandah, her gaze wandering over the sea. The identities of the Triumvirate's members were no longer a secret. She hadn't been too surprised to learn that both her father and Raines had been part of the Triumvirate. And a few weeks ago Lyle had taken his place by their side, after getting rid of all obstacles in his way. Miss Parker was more than relieved that none of the main forces at the Centre had managed to escape. Even Brigitte was behind bars now - a very satisfying thought. Not even the best lawyers would be able to help them now. There was simply too much evidence against them.

Miss Parker made a face as she thought of the fact that she still hadn't told Jarod about her pregnancy. Well, he would be back in next to no time, then she could tell him everything. The question how he would react to the news was still worrying her a bit but by now she was blaming it on the hormones. She smiled briefly. At least the morning sickness wasn't troubling her too much. Apparently she was going to have a very considerate daughter.

A few minutes later she went back into the house, lost in her memories of the past night. Oh yes, she was definitely going to miss Jarod...

Her gaze swept over the living room. Maybe she should begin to pack her things? Though she hadn't talked to Jarod about it yet, she was sure that he shared her desire to leave Blue Cove as quickly as possible.

When she went past her desk she saw a letter lying on it. There was already a stamp on the letter so she supposed that Jarod had forgot to mail it. She was about to pick it up when she suddenly froze. Miss Parker stared at the address. A shocking realization hit her, changed into cold fear after a few instants.

Nia. The letter was addressed at Nia. Miss Parker dropped the envelope as if it had burned her. No. Oh, no. Please not. She stumbled backwards in a haze until an armchair behind her stopped her. Desperate, she tried not to panic, tried to find a sensible explanation. She didn't manage to. Miss Parker was seized by desperation. Suddenly, in the wink of an eye, her life had changed completely.

Somehow she made it into her bedroom. The bed hadn't been made yet, still looked like it had a few hours ago when they had got up. Tears were dwelling in her eyes but she blinked them away. Anger flared up in her, anger at herself. How on earth could she have been so naive?

She sat down on the bed, letting herself fall backwards. Had everything been nothing but a lie? That couldn't be true, it must not be true. The voice of her reason told her that it wasn't the way she thought it to be, that she was overreacting, but her feelings were telling her something else. It hurt. It hurt more than anything she had ever experienced. She had felt quite the same way after her mother had died. But now disappointed trust added to the unbearable feeling of loss she had felt then - and was feeling now again.

Jarod would never do something like this or would he? Could this be his revenge for all those times she had hurt him? If that was so, it was working well. Oh god, what should she do now? It would be less painful if she weren't pregnant on top of it all... No! She loved this child, and knowing that she would have a daughter made her more than happy. Her daughter was all she had left now.

Miss Parker drew her legs close to her body, curled into a ball. Then she let the tears come.

***

The first thing she noticed when she woke up was a terrible headache. Confused, she wondered why she was in bed. The sun was standing high. It must already be noon. Then the memories returned. Once again she was seized by this terrible pain. She folded her hands over her stomach.

"It's only you and me now", she whispered. After taking a few deep breaths she sat up. There was no comfort but she still couldn't let herself go like this. She had to think carefully, so that she could find the best solution for her daughter and herself. Now she felt almost relieved that she hadn't told Jarod about the pregnancy.

Even if he hadn't deceived her on purpose - though she couldn't imagine that - it was now impossible for her to tell him about their daughter. Jarod was an extremely responsible person. If he learned about their daughter he would probably want to stay with Miss Parker. And that was something she wouldn't be able to bear. A relationship based on nothing but their sense of duty would become a torture for both of them after a short time.

Once again tears threatened to fill her eyes but she willed them away. She didn't have time for that now. Miss Parker forced herself to think of nothing but her daughter. Sooner or later the pain would subside, and until then her daughter was all the comfort she needed.

"Damnit, we'll get along just fine on our own!" she said softly. Deep inside she knew that this wasn't what she wanted at all but right now she couldn't see any other possibility. Again and again she saw Jarod's face before her, saw the love in his eyes. She closed her eyes, tried to force the uninvited images away. The pain remained, couldn't be forced away so easily. How could he have looked at her like that and at the same time lie to her? Damn, it simply didn't make any sense to her! But that was frequently the case with emotions - they couldn't always be labeled and they hardly ever made a sense.

Miss Parker went to the bathroom, let cold water run over her hands, splashing some of it into her face. Then she began to cover the traces of her pain with make-up. When she visited Sydney she didn't want him to worry about her.

She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Whom had she been trying to fool, anyway? After all that had happened between Jarod and her, he could impossibly still love her. Maybe he had loved her a long time ago - before he had met Nia. He had to love Nia a lot. Although the thought filled her with unbearable pain she knew what she was going to do. She would set Jarod free. Apparently this was what he wanted. If he could be happy with Nia she wouldn't stand in his way. But she wouldn't give him the satisfaction of accomplishing his revenge on her. When Jarod returned, she would no longer be there.