Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Legal disclaimer: The recognizable characters of the TV-show 'The Pretender' don't belong to me but to MTM, NBC Television and 20th Century Fox. I just borrowed them. Every other character does belong to me. This story was only written and published for my pleasure and that of other fans. I don't pursue any financial interests whatsoever. No copyright infringement is intended.

Big thanks to my beta readers - you're doing a great job, guys!

Spoilers: Up to season 3.

The story: Miss Parker sets the stage for her final revenge on the Centre and finds herself getting closer to Jarod than she might be prepared for...



Insights
Part 3

by Miss Bit




Tech room
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
09:09 am



When Miss Parker entered the small room she was relieved to see that only Broots was there. Good, she had to talk to him in private.

"Good morning, Broots", she said, walking over to him deliberately slow.

He turned to face her.

"Good morning, Miss Parker", he replied and looked at her nervously. Obviously he wondered what she was up to this time and what thankless role he was to play in it.

"Have you planned anything for your lunch break yet?" she wanted to know.

"Uhm, no."

"Oh, great. Would you like to go for a little walk with me?"

Broots' brows traveled upwards while he was staring at her speechlessly.

"Outside", she added and waited patiently for him to collect his thoughts.

"Uh. Sure. Love to", he uttered finally.

"Great. See you then."

She smiled at him reassuringly and went back to her office. Maybe she would manage someday to build up a normal relationship to him.

***

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
01:07 p.m.


The landscape, in which the Centre was embedded, wasn't exactly inviting to go for a walk but only there a relatively safe conversation was possible. Broots' nervousness was obvious, and he was hastily looking around again and again. Miss Parker watched his behavior for a while, then she grabbed him by the arm and drew him with her to a single bench.

"Why don't you sit down in the sun for a while? And calm down, nothing is going to happen to you."

The technician looked at her with evident doubt, but sat down on the bench. It was the only bench in the area, as far as Miss Parker could tell. Apparently the Centre's employees didn't have the idea of coming here very often. On the other hand that was more than understandable if you had a boss like Raines.

"What... what are we doing here, Miss Parker?" Broots asked, a trifle less nervous than a few minutes ago.

"This is a nice place for a little conversation. No cameras, no bugs, no sweepers. Just... privacy."

"Oh no, you want me to spy on someone again, don't you? Please, Miss Parker, I can't do that anymore."

There was an almost pleading tone in his voice. Miss Parker sighed and sat down next to Broots.

"I see you won't like what I'm going to ask of you."

She paused and stared at the calm water for a while. Miss Parker knew that Broots regarded his work for the Centre, and especially his work for her, as a burden for some time past. Yet she needed his help.

"Has it something to do with Raines or Lyle?" he suddenly wanted to know.

"What I have in mind, Broots, is much bigger than breaking into Lyle's office or Raines' personal files."

"Does that mean you're going to pick a fight with the triumvirate?" Broots whispered, horrified.

'Maybe I should go for a change in tactics', Miss Parker mused.

"Do you like working for the Centre?"

Broots looked at her as if she had lost her mind, then he shook his head.

"Mr. Raines never left a doubt that I know too much about the Centre in order to give in my notice to him. Then there are the more than unusual working hours, the dangerous situations I seem to stumble in constantly... No, I guess I don't like working for the Centre. But I'm rather working here and alive than unemployed and dead."

"And then there is Debbie", Miss Parker said pensively, just a little surprised at Broots' outburst. The events of the last few weeks had not only been hard on her.

"Yes, Debbie. When I started working here I thought this to be the perfect job to secure Debbie's future. By now I wish I had never heard about the Centre."

"You're not the only one", Miss Parker murmured almost inaudibly.

"Why have you asked whether I like working here? Is something wrong? Is Mr. Raines up to something? Oh my god..."

Miss Parker put her hand on his arm.

"Everything is alright, Broots. I'd never allow Raines to do something to you. After all you're working for me, not him. Besides, Debbie needs her father."

Her words really seemed to calm him down a bit. He lowered his head and stared at the ground between his feet.

"I need your help, Broots", Miss Parker said calmly. Broots sighed and then looked at her, the fear in his eyes already being replaced by the wish to help her.

"What do you want me to help you with?" he finally asked quietly.

"How would you like it if we closed the Centre down and brought the triumvirate behind bars?" Miss Parker asked with a slight smile.

The technician stared at her for full five seconds before he began to laugh. Miss Parker had expected a reaction like that - the thought of closing the Centre down was unimaginable at the first moment. Broots laughter died down as fast as it had started. He had realized that she was serious about this.

"How?" he croaked, after having struggled for words in vain for a few seconds.

"Simple enough. We're going to draw the authorities' attention to the Centre - the proper authorities' attention."

"This will never work, Miss Parker." He shook his head violently to underline his words. "The Centre is completely protected and has excellent relations to many agencies. There is no evidence against the Centre."

Miss Parker leaned forward and looked at Broots urgently.

"And that's were you come into play, Broots. All of the Centre's data is stored electronically. Jarod has made that point more than once. So the only problem is, as you have already said, the security system. As soon as we've managed to by-pass it, we'll have more than enough evidence."

"It is impossible to by-pass the security system."

"Come on, Broots. Jarod has done it several times, and I think that you can do so as well."

Broots shook his head dismissively.

"I can't help you, Miss Parker. I'm sorry. Not only is it way too dangerous, it's also not possible. Besides, I can't endanger Debbie's safety."

"Look at me, Broots", Miss Parker demanded. "I can protect Debbie, and I've already made sure that the security system of the Centre won't be a problem. I'm quite sure that there is a way to manage without your help, but I'd rather rely on your support. I know that I can rely on you. Everything I'm asking of you now is for you to think about it. In a few days we'll talk about it again."

She got up and looked at the main building, then she turned to face Broots again. He seemed to be astonishingly calm.

"Of course you shouldn't talk to anyone about all this - but that goes without saying. Think about it", Miss Parker added, then she turned and got on her way back to her office. After a few yards she heard Broots' voice.

"Miss Parker?"

Once again she turned to face him.

"Yes?"

"I... I will think about it", Broots stated earnestly. Miss Parker smiled.

"Good", she said before she continued on her way. The conversation had been much less difficult than she had expected. Now all she could do was hope that Broots would make the right decision.

***

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
07:27 p.m.



Miss Parker smiled as she turned off into the driveway of her house. Up to now she had never noticed how nice it was to return to her home. The tension which the Centre still caused in her - or maybe even more than ever - was relieved be the sight of her house.

Much to her relief the house seemed to be in exactly the same state as in the morning when she had left. Obviously Lyle had taken her warning seriously. Even though Luca was in little danger as long as Nurse Travis was with her, Miss Parker still wanted Lyle to stay away from her.

Nurse Travis opened the door for her just as she wanted to unlock it. Miss Parker looked up in surprise and Travis smiled slightly.

"I saw you on the driveway. Luca is sleeping in the guestroom. She was quite calm today. Your friend Sydney really seems to be able to help her."

"That's good news", Miss Parker commented with some relief. Travis put on her jacket.

"I'll leave now, if you don't mind. It was a long day."

"Of course. Listen, I'm sorry that you can't enjoy your vacation any more", Miss Parker said compassionately. The Nurse shrugged her shoulders.

"Are you kidding me? I bet this is much better than anything I could have done on Hawaii. No, seriously, I'm glad that I can look after Luca. Don't you be worried about that."

Miss Parker made a doubtful face, but let the matter rest after a look into Travis' eyes.

"Alright. Sleep well, Nurse Travis. See you tomorrow."

"Good night, Miss Parker. And you know, in case of any problem..."

"... I will manage perfectly well on my own. Good night", Miss Parker completed the sentence with a warm smile which Travis returned before she left the house and went to her hired car. Miss Parker closed the door and went into her living room. She took her jacket of and put her purse on a table, then she went over to her desk. There were a few things which she really had to get done today.

At first she took a large envelope from one of the drawers, then she got the copies of the file she had made. She merely glanced briefly at the report, but that was more than enough. For a short moment she had to close her eyes, trying to force the image from her mind. Determined, she put the pages into the envelope and sealed it. Then she wrote the address on the front, put a stamp in one of the corners and stared thoughtfully down on the envelope. This was probably completely useless, but she had at least to try.

When she was finished, she got up and put the envelope on the small table next to the front door. On her way back to the living room she took her cell phone with her. She made herself comfortable on the couch and skimmed through a small green notebook. Not even the Centre knew that it existed.

It didn't take long for her to find the first number and shortly after she was dialing. Miss Parker waited eagerly. After the fourth ring she could hear a sleepy male voice.

'Tanaka speaking. What is it?'

'Hello, Tommy. This is Parker. Did I wake you up?' Miss Parker replied in perfect Japanese, smiling slightly. She had completely forgotten about the different time zones.

'Parker!' Tommy sounded sincerely pleased, but then he asked with mock anger: 'Do you have any idea how late it is here?'

'I'm sorry, I didn't think of it. Tommy, can I ask a favor of you?'

There was a brief pause before Tommy answered her.

'Sure, just tell me what it is.'

***

Fifteen minutes later Miss Parker ended the conversation, pleased with the way it had worked out. Her talk with Tommy had been extremely promising. Once again she skimmed through the notebook.

"Time for me to brush up my Russian", she murmured to herself while she was dialing. This time it took longer until the connection was made, but after a while she heard a pleasantly deep voice which made a shudder ran through her body.

'Hello?' For a moment she just gave in to her pleasant memories, then she shook her head in amusement.

'Hello, Sergej. Do you still remember me?' Miss Parker inquired gently.

'Ah, Parker! How could I possibly forget you? But it's been much too long.'

'Yes, I agree. Listen, Sergej, there is something I'd like to ask of you.'

She could hear his soft laughter from the other side of the line.

'What a shame! For a moment I had hoped that you called because you missed me. So, what is it that I can do for you?'

***

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
08:17 p.m.



A single candle stood on the table in the living room, sending off flickering waves of light. Miss Parker sat on the couch, her legs drawn closely to her body. Half an hour ago she had taken a brief look into Luca's room. She really seemed to be a little better.

Completely oblivious of the world Miss Parker stroked the arm of the couch, thinking about the future. She was mainly concerned about Luca; she couldn't keep the young woman with her forever. Miss Parker sighed and briefly shut her eyes. Even if Luca's fate was anything but pleasant, it still was much easier for her to think about Luca than about her own future. Or about the events of the most recent past.

The doorbell dragged her out of her unpleasant brooding. Grateful, she rose to let her visitor in. It wasn't much of a surprise to her to see Sydney standing outside when she opened the door. Actually she was quite glad to see him.

"Hello, Syd. Please come in", she greeted him with warmth.

"Hello, Miss Parker. I hope I'm not disturbing you", he replied with the same warmth and smiled.

"Not at all. Please take a seat."

He sat down on the couch. Miss Parker switched the light on and then she blew out the candle on the table. She looked at Sydney attentively.

"Are you just here because you missed me or is there another reason?" she asked expectantly.

For a short moment there was an amused smile on Sydney's face, but he quickly became serious again.

"I thought that maybe you'd like to talk to someone", he replied gently.

Miss Parker sat down in an armchair. Sydney really knew her well. Maybe he would really be able to get some order into her thoughts. Right now she was grateful for his mere trying. She couldn't help but smile. Just a few weeks ago she would have turned his offer to talk about her feelings down, regarding it as a try to meddle in her life.

"Mhm, you're right", she admitted.

Out of the corner of her eye she could see him subtly changing his posture. 'Always the psychiatrist', she thought with amusement. In the past this would have surely upset her, but now she only regarded him as a friend who would listen to her.

"Unfortunately we never had the opportunity to continue our conversation after your... simulation", he began. "How did you manage in the meantime?"

"Are you talking about my new talents?"

"The whole situation must be very hard on you."

Miss Parker leaned back in her armchair.

"I had a lot of time to think about everything when I was in England. I would have loved to just ignore it, but that was impossible. I think I can understand Jarod much better now", she said softly.

Sydney frowned.

"In what way?"

"Because of all the simulations he's done he doesn't know who he is. He never had the chance to find himself. And I almost lost myself." She made a long pause before she went on. "I am not like Jarod. And I'm not like Angelo, either. They have a special understanding for other people; they can become other people. But I..." When she looked up she met his patient, understanding gaze. "When I really try hard I can see other people's memories. It is as if I were living through what they have experienced. Not a very useful talent, I'm afraid", Miss Parker said, shrugging her shoulders.

"On the contrary, Miss Parker", Sydney objected earnestly. "After all it was your talent that enabled you to find out what happened to Luca. Or am I mistaken there?" he added in a gently inquiring tone.

"Well, I think you're right", Miss Parker admitted reluctantly. The memories she had shared with Luca still weighed heavily on her. But not half as much as the things she had learned from Lyle's memory.

"Miss Parker?"

Sydney had leaned forward, a worried expression on his face.

"Don't you want to tell me what happened in England?"

'Maybe I'll feel better then', she thought. 'Or I'll never be able to look him in the eyes again.'

Angry with herself she shook her head. What Lyle had done and what he 'wanted' to do was not her fault. Still it wasn't easy for her to talk about it.

"I don't think I'll be able to tell you everything", she finally replied hesitatingly.

"You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to talk about", Sydney reminded her softly. Miss Parker nodded.

"Yes, I know. After the simulation about Ruth I only used my talent once more - to help Luca." Suddenly she remembered something that had never occurred to her before. Her face lit up a bit. "No, that's not right. When I talked to Charles - Jarod's father - he told me some things about my mother. I could see everything right before me, almost as if I had been there. I think I also shared his memory."

She sighed with frustration.

"If only the whole thing weren't so confusing! With some memories it's hard to tell whether they are mine or those of another person. I'm sorry, this mess probably doesn't make any sense to you at all."

Sydney rose and came over to her. He took her hand in his. The physical contact calmed her down a bit.

"First of all it must make sense to you, Miss Parker. You can't expect life to go on just like before. You have changed and now you see the world in another way, perceive things in another way. Give yourself some time. Bit by bit you will get used to it."

"I'm not sure I want to get used to it", she murmured almost defiantly. Then the fighting spirit returned to her eyes. "But I will try to."

"Now that sounds much better", Sydney said with a contented smile, while he returned to the couch. "Do you want to talk about Lyle?" he asked so abruptly that Miss Parker looked at him in shock. It was impossible for him to know what she had seen.

"After all he is responsible for the state poor Luca is in", he added much to Miss Parker's relief. "And he is your brother."

Miss Parker hesitated. She had to talk to someone about what she had seen. If not to Sydney to whom else?

"I... lived through some of the things he's done to her", she said very softly. "But that wasn't the worst thing of all. Sydney, I could also see his memories - no, share is a better word. I don't know how this was possible. It should never have happened! I could see what he saw, what he wanted to see..."

Her voice trailed off. There was nothing more she could tell him, not now. Maybe later. Unshed tears stung in her eyes and she had a lump in her throat. She couldn't even tell why. Anger, disgrace, sympathy - every single of these emotions might have been the reason. Miss Parker closed her eyes. Seconds later she sensed Sydney's presence close to her. He was squatting in front of her, looking at her inquisitively. When she nodded he took her in his arms, comforting her.

"It's alright", he whispered soothingly.

She really wanted to believe him, but right now nothing seemed to be all right. Sydney didn't know the whole truth. With an effort Miss Parker managed to regain part of her control. She knew that it would take a long time for her to deal with everything but at least she could count on Sydney's support. This thought was comfort enough for her at the moment.

Gently but determinedly she stepped away from Sydney. His silent understanding had impressed her very much. Gradually she began to regret that she had refused his help ever before.

He looked at her closely and seemed to come to the conclusion that she had regained control over herself. Slowly he sat down on the arm of her armchair.

"How does Luca manage?" Miss Parker wanted to know after a short while.

"Hm, she repressed quite a lot. But she will be better - every day a little bit."

"You don't happen to know an institution where she could stay, do you? It's not that I don't want to keep her with me, but Luca needs professional help. Once Nurse Travis has returned to England someone else will have to look after Luca. I thought that maybe we could find something nearby, so that you can keep on treating her. She seems to like you."

"And you seem to think of everything, Miss Parker."

"I'm trying to, but a little help would be appreciated", she replied with a slight smile which Sydney returned with warmth.

"I'll ask around a bit", he promised.

"Thank you, Sydney. Why don't we meet here again, let's say tomorrow in the afternoon? We should talk this over with Nurse Travis. And Luca's opinion will be crucial, of course."

Sydney nodded.

"Do you know if Luca has any relatives?"

"No, I don't, but I will find out. Tomorrow is Saturday, so I can take care of this at home. Have you talked to Jarod in the meantime?"

"No", he answered, shaking his head. "Is the matter that urgent?"

"Not for me. But definitely for him."

Apparently her answer confused him, but he only shrugged his shoulders.

"I'll see what I can do."

"That's all I'm asking."

Sydney glanced at his watch and rose slowly.

"I'd better be leaving now. An old man needs his sleep."

"You're not old, Sydney!" Miss Parker protested. "A man in the prime of his life", she added while she accompanied him to the front door. He smiled and indicated a small bow.

"Thank you."

"No, thank you", she replied emphatically. "I really appreciate your being there for me."

"You're very welcome, Miss Parker, believe me." He shortly squeezed her hand. "Good night, Miss Parker. Sleep well."

"Good night, Syd."

***

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next day
03:27 p.m.



"Time for a break!"

The energetic voice of Nurse Travis made Miss Parker look up from the monitor. She glanced at the watch and was quite surprised to learn that almost three hours had passed since her last break.

"I didn't even notice how late it was", she replied.

"But I did. How about some tea?"

"Sounds great."

Travis left the living room, returning after a short while with two cups. She put one of them in front of Miss Parker.

"Thanks a lot."

"You're welcome."

Miss Parker took a sip from her cup, then she leaned back and closed her eyes. At some time during the last hours it had started to rain - she could clearly hear the soft sound of the rain tapping on the roof and against the windows.

"What did you find out?" Travis asked softly. She had sat down into an armchair that stood close to Luca who was sitting at the bay window, staring unseeingly into the rain.

"No good news, I'm afraid", Miss Parker answered, opening her eyes again. "It looks as if Luca had no one left. But I won't go into detail before Sydney arrives, if you don't mind, or else I'll have to explain everything twice."

The Nurse nodded, lost in thought, her gaze resting on Luca.

"At least there is no one who's been worried about her for all that time", she said quietly.

"But also no one who could take care of her now or who would be glad to see her", Miss Parker objected. "Except for us."

"And I won't be able to stay with her forever", Travis added. She almost sounded angry. Before Miss Parker had the chance to reply something, the doorbell put an end to their conversation.

"I'll let him in", Travis offered and Miss Parker nodded gratefully. A few moments later Sydney entered the living room.

"Hi, Syd. Nice to see you", Miss Parker greeted him.

"Hello, Miss Parker. I'm sorry for being late, but I was talking to Jarod on the phone. We'll meet on Monday."

"I'm really glad to hear that."

Sydney stepped over to Luca, exchanging a few words with her, then he sat down into the armchair that stood opposite of Miss Parker's.

"How do you feel?"

There was sincere concern in his eyes. Miss Parker felt a deep closeness to him as she had when she had been a child.

"Much better. Our talking really helped me." 'But there's still a long way lying ahead of me', she thought. She didn't have to voice her thought, because Sydney knew that just as well as she did. His reassuring smile confirmed their tacit understanding.

Suddenly something occurred to Miss Parker.

"Where is Nurse Travis?"

"Here", the nurse replied as she returned from the kitchen, handing Sydney a cup of hot tea. He thanked her with a smile.

"Don't mention it", Travis replied. "It's a nasty weather, and there's nothing better to get warm again than a nice cup of hot tea."

Glancing at the monitor of her laptop Miss Parker leaned forward.

"I think we can start now."

She looked uneasily at Luca. It simply didn't seem to be right to talk about the young woman as if she weren't there, though she was sitting only a few yards away from them. Still she had insisted on having Luca with them. After all she had every right to know how her life would go on. Besides, the only other alternative would have been to leave her alone in the guest room. Nurse Travis seemed to share her uneasiness, only Sydney looked as balanced as ever. Miss Parker concentrated on the facts and went on.

"As I've already told Nurse Travis, Luca doesn't have any relatives left. Her father died in a car accident shortly before she was born, and her mother died when she was about three years old. Since she didn't have any other relatives at that time she was put into an orphanage by the state. At the age of five she was adopted and from there on her life was pretty normal. By now her foster parents have died as well so that there is no one left to miss her."

"Are you absolutely sure?" Sydney wanted to know. Miss Parker knew what he was trying to say.

"Yes, Sydney. No one is better at letting people disappear than the Centre, but Luca's traces haven't been blurred very well. As far as I can tell no one has manipulated her records. By the way, her full name is Luca Francesca Capristi. I could try to find some relatives in Italy. Might well be that there is someone - I don't think the state searched there when her parents died."

"Doesn't sound like a bad idea. It might be good for Luca to leave the States", Nurse Travis said pensively.

"But at first we should try to find another accommodation for her", Sydney suggested. "I made some inquiries this morning and found two institutions that might be suitable."

"We should have a good look at those before we make any decision", Travis said determinedly. Miss Parker agreed with her.

"I'll leave that to you and Sydney. You both know much more about that kind of thing than me. Any objections?"

When both of them shook their head Miss Parker smiled contentedly.

"I suggest that you leave as soon as possible. In the meantime I'll try to find out if Luca has some relatives in Italy."

***

It was almost four hours later when Sydney and Nurse Travis returned to Miss Parker's house.

"Any success?" was Sydney's first question after he had tiredly sunk down into an armchair.

"You bet", Miss Parker announced happily. "I found an uncle and several cousins. We can contact them whenever we want."

"But?" Nurse Travis asked, since she had noticed the hesitating undertone in Miss Parker's voice.

"But I think that we should wait a little longer before doing that. Until Luca is better and until some things which concern the Centre are settled."

"Things which concern the Centre?"

"I'll explain it to you later, Sydney. Right now it's not important."

The expression on his face told her that he was of another opinion. He looked at her for a long time, then he gave in.

"Alright, Miss Parker. I trust you."

Nurse Travis frowned but didn't say anything.

"And how did things go for you?" Miss Parker wanted to know.

"Oh, we've found something suitable. A very nice clinic, only a few miles away from Blue Cove. And the best thing about it is that they are willing to give her a room as soon as possible. Even tomorrow if we wanted that."

"What, on a Sunday?"

Sydney made a face.

"Well, it's not going to be cheap..."

"Oh, don't you worry. Money won't be a question here", Miss Parker said with a grin. "The Centre will pay for everything. That's only fair."

"Now you almost sound like Jarod", Sydney said softly. His smile was limited to the eyes.

"You'd better not let him hear that", she replied equally as soft, then she addressed Travis.

"Do you agree with our plans?"

The nurse took her time before she answered.

"Yes, on condition that we talk to Luca and she agrees with everything as well. In that case I won't have any objections. You know, Luca can consider herself lucky that you found her."

Miss Parker didn't reply anything to that. 'I only wish Lyle had never found her', she thought.

As she glanced over to Sydney she could tell that he had guessed her thought. With a smile she told him that he didn't need to worry about her, then she rose to talk to Luca.

***

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next day
05:55 p.m.



It was strangely quiet in the house and everything seemed to be deserted. Luca had left in the morning, and Miss Parker felt lonely for the first time since she had returned from England.

Of course she knew that Luca was better off in the clinic and she could visit the young woman whenever she wanted to. Still their parting had been hard on her. The fact that Luca had seemed to feel quite the same hadn't made it any easier.

About noon there had been the next farewell when she had brought Jessica Travis to the airport. By now she had to be halfway home. The last words of the nurse still traveled around in Miss Parker's head. 'When I met you for the first time back in England and you told me all that nonsense I thought you were completely crazy. I still don't know what got me into taking part in your plan but I'm glad I did. Glad for Luca. I don't know much about the rest of your family - but you're a good person. Don't hold yourself responsible for your brother's deeds. If you should ever need me, just let me know. And now, Miss Parker, good bye.'

Miss Parker realized that she would really miss the resolute nurse. Only a few people would have done as much for a patient as she had.

The ringing of her telephone interrupted her thoughts.

"Yes?" she asked calmly.

"Hello, Miss Parker. This is Sydney."

"Hello, Syd. How's Luca?"

"Oh, she's already settled down. I'm on my way home from the clinic." She could hear him hesitate for a moment. "I just wanted to make sure that you're alright."

Miss Parker smiled.

"Oh well, it is a bit lonesome here, but I'm quite fine."

"Do you want me to come over?"

She thought about his offer for an instant. Sydney's company was more than welcome to her, but right now she needed some time on her own.

"That won't be necessary. But thanks anyway. You know, it's really nice of you to do so much for Luca."

He laughed softly.

"You're not the only one who feels responsible for the young lady."

"Syd, I have thought a lot about my mother lately", Miss Parker said abruptly. She simply had to be certain and Sydney probably was the only person who could answer her questions. "Why did she marry my father? I can't remember much from that time but I still know how sad she was shortly before she was killed."

At the other end of the line Sydney sighed deeply.

"Miss Parker, I can only make an assumption on that", he began.

"I know that she was your patient and that therefore there are a lot of things you can't tell me. I won't ask you to do that. You knew her very well and you also know my father. Just tell me what you think. Please, Sydney."

"Your mother would have only got married for the reason of love. I'm sure about that."

"And my father? Did he really love her?"

"Miss Parker, why are you asking me that?"

"Because you know as well as I do that my father wouldn't tell me the truth. He only ever tells me what I want to hear - what I'm supposed to hear. I can't believe him any longer. I should have never done that. But what can I do? He's my father after all."

"I don't think Catherine would have wanted you to grow up like that", Sydney said after a long while. It seemed to be hard on him to utter the words. "She always wanted to bring you away from the Centre. She never cared for herself." He hesitated once more. "Really, Miss Parker, I'm not the person you should talk to about the relationship between your parents."

"There is no one else, Sydney", Miss Parker replied softly. He had always been closer to her than her own father, especially in the last time.

"Your father... loved her, in his own way. That's all I can say."

"Thank you, Sydney. For being honest. And for being there for me."

"I'll always be there for you, you know that, Miss Parker."

"Yes, I do. See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, Miss Parker."

She hung up, then she walked over to her favorite place, the large bay window. The view from that window was beautiful and often helped her to distract herself. But it would be no use today. There were too many questions. And so little answers. It was really true; she understood Jarod better and better. Fortunately she didn't have to chase him any longer. Because now, and that she was certain of, she would have been able to catch him.

***

Miss Parker's office
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
The next day
10:46 a.m.



Miss Parker angrily raised her head as she heard someone enter her office without knocking. There were only a few people at the Centre who dared do that. Her gaze fell upon her father. The anger vanished and was replaced by another emotion, one she couldn't put a name to.

"Hello, Daddy", she said as calmly as possible.

"Good morning, Princess", he replied cheerfully and managed a smile that was just as phony as all of his promises. There was something he wanted from her. Had Lyle talked to him, in spite of her warning?

"Is there something I can do for you?" she asked him politely.

"Can't a father simply visit his daughter?" he asked with mock indignation. 'You haven't visited me once in all those years', Miss Parker thought and part of her anger returned. 'Really, Daddy, you should have become an actor.'

"Yes, of course, Daddy", she replied evenly. Inwardly she felt a certain anger with herself for not gathering enough courage to voice her thoughts. 'Come on, Daddy, what do you want?'

"We haven't spent much time together lately. Why don't we go out for dinner tonight? You could tell me everything about your journey to England, Angel."

'Ah, that's what this is about.'

"I'm really sorry, Daddy, but I can't. I've got an important appointment tonight."

It was a lie and he knew it. For a second his face betrayed his displeasure at the news, then the understanding father returned.

"More important than your father?"

'Oh, a good move, I have to admit that. But this won't work anymore.'

"Of course not", Miss Parker replied loudly. The short flash of triumph in his eyes when he thought he had won didn't escape her. "But still I can't cancel it. We'll have to meet on another day."

A muscle in his cheek twitched briefly and Miss Parker thought he would give way to his anger. But her father surprised her.

"Alright. Let me know whenever it suits you."

'There is something else', she thought suddenly. 'Or else he'd never remain so calm.'

Mr. Parker cleared his throat and suddenly looked as though he weren't feeling very well.

"I got the impression that you have spent a lot of time with Sydney recently", he began. Miss Parker struggled to hide her surprise. What was he up to now?

"We're working together, Daddy. He's supposed to help me catch Jarod", she stated the obvious.

"Of course, of course, but..." Her father made a pained face. "You know, it might be better for you to... distance yourself from him. Some people at the Centre regard his latest activities with some suspicion and I don't want you to be connected to that."

Now she was even more confused. What was he trying to tell her? Of course she knew that he didn't trust Sydney very much, but this was ridiculous. Sydney was a member of her team, she trusted him... All of a sudden it made sense. He couldn't bear the fact that she gave more attention to Sydney and his opinion than to him. 'You're afraid to lose control over me. Well, it's much too late for that.'

"Did you talk to Sydney about that?" she wanted to know. There was a treacherous twitch in her father's face. With some fascination Miss Parker watched a storm brewing there. But something kept him from aiming his anger at her. He narrowed his eyes, clearly annoyed.

"I don't see why I should do that", her father said firmly. "Besides, I'm not worried about him - I want you to take care of yourself."

Miss Parker was not sure whether her father's manipulative methods annoyed her or simply amused her. However - she would no longer let him have his way.

"It's really nice of you to worry about me, but you don't need to. I can handle things perfectly well on my own - and I know whom I can trust."

He didn't seem to really see her though his glance was resting on her. It gave her the impression that he hadn't heard her last words. This habit of his used to make her mad but now Miss Parker simply ignored it. A moment later her father's attention returned to her.

"Hm? Oh, yes. You're right, Angel. You'll have to excuse me now, there are some things I have to take care of."

As usual the conversation with her father ended abruptly.

"Sure, Daddy."

She flashed him a fake smile - not that he'd ever noticed the difference - and glanced after him until he had left her office. Not a very promising start for the day.

***

A motel somewhere in Delaware
05:21 p.m.



Jarod stared down at the file in his hand, undecided. Sydney hadn't told him what it was about or where it had come from. Well, there was at least a way to get an answer to the first question.

An hour later there were papers scattered all over his bed. When he looked at them he still couldn't believe it. By now he was absolutely sure he knew where this file had come from. The only thing he didn't know was why Miss Parker hadn't given it to him herself. But he would find out about that. Soon.

Once again he read the letter from his father.


'Jarod,

I don't know where to start. The past has finally caught up with me. I both feared and longed for this day. Now I finally have the chance to tell you some things.

I know that you can't remember the time we spent together at the Centre. I will never be able to forgive myself for leaving you behind in the claws of Raines and Mr. Parker. I should have stayed with Catherine, to help her rescue you. Maybe then she'd still be alive and we would be together. But it's no use wishing for the past to change. I only want you to know that I'm aware of my mistakes.

You've got a family, Jarod, a family that loves you very much. When you were born Margaret and I were the happiest people on earth. Unfortunate and cruel circumstances have torn our family apart. We have done everything within our powers to get you and Kyle back. With Catherine's help I could at least protect you for a while.

I'm incredibly proud of you. You've become a wonderful young man in spite of all the years you lived at the Centre. Although I could never get in contact with you I've always watched you. Maybe the day will soon come when I can take you in my arms again, you and the rest of our family...

There's one thing you have to understand: I love your mother very much and I miss her every day. I'm telling you that so that you won't misunderstand the relationship between me and Catherine. Catherine was my best friend. She's always been there for me and I am forever in her debt. When she died I almost couldn't bear it and I have often thought that it should have been me instead of her. As to her daughter...

Many old feelings were aroused by Marine's visit. She is a very special young woman and I could see much of her mother in her. But above her mother's qualities there's also something else about her that words cannot describe. Something neither her father nor the Centre has ever been able to take from her. She's like a daughter to me. I could never bear the thought of something happening to her. Please take care of her, Jarod. Marine could be to you what Catherine's been to me - and maybe even more.

Once you meet her again you will learn that she's slowly finding back to her true self. She will give you something from me and I want you to see this gift as a second chance, a chance to start again. Give her some time and don't press her. Just wait until she's ready to give it to you.

There is so much more I want to tell you but I hope I'll be able to do that in person sometime. Take good care of yourself.


Love,
Charles'



There were tears in Jarod's eyes. This letter from his father meant so much to him. Finally, after all those years, he held the proof in his hands, the proof that he had a family. A family that loved him, that missed him and that had fought to get him back.

Jarod reached for his phone. He had to call Miss Parker. Impatiently he waited for her to answer his call.

"Yes?" he finally heard her voice. With some surprise he noticed that her voice didn't sound unfriendly as it usually did. On the contrary, it sounded calm and gentle.

"Hello, Miss Parker."

"Oh, Jarod." There was just a trace of surprise coloring her voice. She seemed to have expected his call.

"Miss Parker, I want to meet you."

There was a brief pause.

"That doesn't sound like a good idea to me", she then said. Jarod thought that he had heard a careful undertone in her voice.

"It does to me", he replied. "Please, this is very important to me."

Suddenly he remembered the letter from his father in which Charles had asked him not to press her. Before he had the chance to say something she agreed.

"Alright, Jarod. Tonight at my house. Just you and me - no sweepers."

"Sounds like a fair offer", he agreed. "See you tonight, Miss Parker."

***

Miss Parker's office
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
05:46 p.m.



Twenty minutes had passed since Jarod's call and the longer Miss Parker thought about it the more she thought it to be a mistake to meet him. She simply wasn't ready for that yet.

With Charles it had been easy to talk about her feelings. Somehow she'd had the feeling that he was a member of her family right from the beginning. But Jarod...

Like a few times before she reached for the small envelope that lay on her desk, still unopened. She knew what was in it yet she had hesitated to open it. Now she sighed softly and reached for her letter opener. Carefully she opened the envelope and let the contents fall down on the desk.

Two pictures were lying in front of her. She already knew the first one. It was a copy of the picture Charles had shown her at their first meeting. Another copy was in the file Sydney had given to Jarod - she had told Charles how much Jarod would love to have a picture of his father. But she hadn't seen the second picture yet. Curious, she took it in her hand to have a closer look at it.

She couldn't help but smile. It was a picture of her and Jarod, made about the time Charley had told her about. Two happily laughing children, for a moment totally unaware of the surroundings that would later become a prison to both of them. Miss Parker shook her head in disbelief. How could she possibly have forgotten about this time? Granted, she had been very young then, but also very happy. 'Probably there are just too many bad memories that took the place of the good ones', she mused. 'We generally rather remember bad events than the good things. How unfair.'

Her thoughts returned to her imminent encounter with Jarod. Until now she had avoided thinking too closely about him and her relationship to him. Charles had been right, they had really been very close to each other. Even though Miss Parker couldn't remember that time very clearly, she still sensed that there was something which connected her with Jarod. In the course of time they had drifted apart, and for some time she had managed to persuade herself that she didn't mind hunting Jarod down for the Centre.

But that wasn't right. She did mind. The realization was bitter. What if there was no turning back, if she had crossed the line? Then she had lost a friend - and maybe even more.

Miss Parker put the picture back on the desk. Which right did she have to ask Jarod to forgive her? Nothing could ever make up for the things she had done to him. But she could at least try to help him find his family.

She stared out of the window without really seeing something. Though she was a little worried about the meeting with Jarod she still looked forward to it. With a bit of luck she might be able to talk him into accepting her help. Her own feelings had to take second place because she was sure that the days when he might have returned them were over once and for all.

***

Miss Parker's home
431 Mountain Spring Road
Blue Cove, Delaware
09:49 p.m.



Jarod was sitting on the couch in Miss Parker's living room and waiting, his eyes closed. The whole house was dark because he hadn't wanted to arouse unwanted attention. Relaxed, he listened to the sound of the rain which had been tapping gently on the roof and against the windows for more than an hour now. Slowly he started to get worried. Even if she had worked longer than usual today - which he thought to be highly unlikely considering his calling her earlier - she should have arrived at home more than thirty minutes ago.

Maybe she had arranged a trap for him... He shook his head. His feeling told him that she hadn't.

Just as he was toying with the thought to call her again her phone rang. He couldn't simply answer it without getting himself and her into serious trouble. So he waited for the answering machine to take care of the call.

"Jarod, are you there? Please answer me", he heard her voice.

Immediately he picked up the receiver.

"Where are you? Is everything okay?"

Jarod could hear her laughing softly.

"I'm about fifteen minutes walk away from my house and everything is perfectly okay - well, almost. I just called to ask you for a little favor."

"Sure, what's it?" Though he wondered what might have happened he decided to save his questions for later.

"Right now I could kill for a nice hot bath. I'd really be grateful if my bath were ready when I come home."

The longing tone of her voice made it difficult for him to suppress his laughter. The story slowly began to make sense to him.

"I'll take care of that", he assured her quickly.

"Ah, thanks a lot, Jarod. See you."

"Uh huh."

A little confused he hung up and rose from the couch. He simply couldn't grasp her. Maybe he would be able to bring some sense into her unusual behavior in the course of the evening. Shaking his head he got on his way to her bathroom.

First thing he did once he had arrived there was to turn on the light. The bathroom wasn't only elegantly furnished it also looked very comfortable.

Jarod sat down on the rim of the tub and looked around. All the little everyday things that were scattered around the whole room fascinated him. Deeply in thought he turned on the hot water after he had put in the plug.

At first his gaze fell upon the thick carpet which lay on the ground before the tub. Its color matched the rest of the room in which shades of beige and white were dominating. In addition to that there was a lot of wood which made the room look even brighter. There was a large high window through which at day a lot of light fell into the room. And at night you could watch the starry sky through it.

Next to the tub a wooden cupboard was fastened to the wall, holding several bathing utensils. Curios, Jarod reached for a big sponge, carefully fingering it before he put it back on the shelf. Next he turned his attention to a shelf over the bottom-end of the tub. A lot of small bottles were standing there, most of them merely half filled.

Jarod thought for a moment then he took one of the bottles in his hand and opened it. The fragrance immediately stirred old memories in him. The contents of the glass bottle smelled of vanilla and ever so slightly of honey. He smiled as he let a few drops fall into the water. It was Miss Parker's favorite fragrance; he was sure of that.

Carefully he closed the bottled and put it back to its place. Then he checked on the water temperature and let some cold water run into the tub as well before he closed both faucets. He'd loved to continue his exploration of Miss Parker's bathroom but a sound at the front door hindered him from doing so.

Reluctantly he left the bathroom and went to the front door. Just as he came in sight of the door it opened. Jarod suppressed a laugh when a soaking wet Miss Parker entered the house. But his amusement was immediately replaced by worry when he saw that she was trembling. She threw her keys on the couch table and took her wet jacket off. When she finally saw Jarod she smiled slightly.

"Hello, Jarod."

"What has happened?" he asked her instead of a greeting, though he already had a rather clear idea of what had happened.

"My car broke down about four miles away from here. I didn't want to wait for the recovery vehicle so I walked the last bit on foot."

Jarod made a few steps in her direction.

"Are you okay?" he wanted to know. Her smile deepened a bit, then she nodded.

"Yes. And after a nice hot bath I'll be even better."

He gestured towards the bathroom.

"Everything's ready."

"Oh, great."

Miss Parker sighed contentedly and hurried to get to her tub. A little bit uncertain, Jarod followed her, stopping in front of the bathroom door.

"The water might be a little hot", he warned her through the closed door.

"It can't be hot enough", he heard her muffled answer which was followed by a brief silence. The silence was broken by a faint splashing sound, then Jarod heard a low moan.

"Oh god, that's wonderful."

He swallowed hard and tried not to imagine what was going on in Miss Parker's bathroom.

"Jarod? Are you still there?" Miss Parker suddenly asked.

"Uhm, yes."

"Why don't you make yourself comfortable in the living room? This could take a while."

"Okay. Just take your time."

"Oh, and Jarod?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you very much."

He shook his head in disbelief.

"You're welcome, Miss Parker", he said before he returned to the living room. There he sat down on the couch. When he closed his eyes he couldn't help imagining her bathroom. His thoughts wandered back to the sponge which he had held in his hands only minutes ago and which now surely glided over her soft skin...

Jarod jerked his eyes open and rose. He had to distract himself somehow. For some reason this evening went completely different from what he had expected - and that was something that rarely happened to him.

With determined steps he went outside on the terrace from which he had a marvelous view on the ocean. By now the rain had stopped and a light cooling breeze blew over the sea, rippling the water. There were small waves, and the white crests reminded him of a tub full of... Oh, great. Exactly the association he needed. Why couldn't he think of anything else than Miss Parker?

With a sigh he gave it up and went back into the house. As if it were the most natural thing to do he found himself back in front of the closed bathroom door. A slight smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. Actually there was no reason for him not to think about Miss Parker.

Before he got any chance to give way to his imagination the bathroom door opened and Miss Parker stepped out into the hall. She had wrapped herself into a large soft towel and smiled as she saw him standing there.

"Lonely?" she asked gently and with a trace of amusement, her voice lacking its usual sarcastic tone.

"Yes", he replied without thinking about it. For a split second he thought he had seen something flash in her eyes. Guilt? Pain? The moment had been too brief for him to tell. And maybe he had just imagined it.

"Me too."

Her answer surprised him so much that he had no idea what to say. When he had composed himself again she had already rushed past him into her bedroom. Jarod thought about following her there but then decided against it and returned to the living room. After a few minutes she followed him. Her hair was still damp but she had changed into some other clothes.

She tilted her head ever so slightly and looked at him. He returned her gaze, trying to find out what was the matter with her.

"You wanted to talk to me", she reminded him.

"Mhm, yes."

He found it difficult to tear himself away from her eyes. Finally he managed to concentrate on one of his questions.

"I wanted to thank you for the file from my father. Why haven't you given it to me yourself?"

Miss Parker drew a deep breath and slowly let it out again.

"Because of Sydney. He told me that your relationship..."

Jarod interrupted her.

"No more excuses, Miss Parker", he said softly.

"I thought it would be easier this way."

"For me?" Jarod asked and then shook his head. "No, that was not the reason."

She sighed.

"Easier for me, Jarod", she then explained. Uncomprehending, he looked at her. Before he got the chance to ask her what she had meant she made a few steps in his direction. Miss Parker smiled ever so slightly, and in her eyes Jarod could see... hesitation?

"Your father asked me to give you something."

He swallowed.

"Yes, I know."

Miss Parker laughed softly.

"I'd better warn you. You shouldn't expect too much or else you'll be very disappointed in a moment."

"What is it?"

His curiosity made him forget all thought of being careful with her. Besides he was sure that he could trust her. This realization surprised him a bit but on the other hand he had always trusted her. When he looked back into her eyes he saw a warmth there that took his breath away.

"Alright, Jarod."

She crossed the distance between them with two steps, and then she took him in her arms to hug him gently.

Jarod was utterly confused. Miss Parker's behavior was a complete mystery to him. But his confusion didn't hinder him from enjoying her unexpected closeness. He returned the embrace and pulled her closer to him. Her hair smelled faintly of the bath oil he had put into the water. Her head rested against his shoulder.

For a long moment they simply stood there, then Miss Parker pulled a bit away from him. Not willing to already let her go he gently grabbed her by the arms. He put one of his hands under chin while he looked into her eyes. Suddenly he was more aware of his own emotions than ever before.

His hand traveled to the nape of her neck to draw her closer to him again. Their lips were merely inches apart.

"I'm not disappointed", he whispered against her lips.

"Please don't."

Her words were so soft that he felt rather than heard them. This time she stepped away from him. She closed her eyes for a second. Then she opened them again and looked at him in a way that went right to his core.

"I'm sorry", he said and promised himself to never hurt her again. "I didn't want to..."

She shook her head.

"You don't have to apologize. God, it's not that I don't want to... I simply can't. Everything has happened so incredibly fast. I need some more time to deal with everything, to sort things out. Please don't get me wrong. It's not because of you. It's never been."

While he was still trying to understand her she suddenly bent forward and steadied herself by placing her hands on his shoulders. Once again only inches parted their lips. She tilted her head until their lips met. The contact was hardly tangible and yet Jarod was electrified. He pressed his lips harder against hers, turning her feathery touch into a kiss.

His hands moved from her shoulders to her neck and then higher until he cupped her cheeks. His thumbs tenderly massaged her cheeks while his tongue was lightly tracing her lips. Her lips parted under the gentle pressure of his tongue and suddenly everything else became insignificant. The kiss lasted for what seemed to be an eternity until Miss Parker detached herself from Jarod.

Just like him she was completely out of breath and Jarod thought that she had never looked as beautiful as in that moment. Her cheeks were flushed, her damp hair disheveled and her eyes were shining. He could see that she was struggling to regain control both over herself and the situation.

"Jarod..."

"Yes?"

While he was looking at her he wondered what she wanted. It seemed to him that she didn't know either. Miss Parker took a deep breath.

"I think it would be better for you to leave now."

Jarod frowned, but he understood why she was seeking the distance.

"If that's what you want..."

She nodded, seeming almost relieved.

"Alright", Jarod said. "But I still have a lot of questions. More than before, to be honest. Will you meet me again?"

The smile returned to her eyes.

"I will. It might take some time", she said, shrugging her shoulders, "but if you bear with me that shouldn't be a problem."

He returned her smile and nodded ever so slightly.

"Just take your time. I don't want to rush you."

"Thank you, Jarod."

She accompanied him to the front door. Jarod wished she would kiss him again but instead she just briefly touched his shoulder.

"Good night, Jarod."

"Good night, Parker. Sleep well."

The door closed behind him and for a moment Jarod stood helpless in the night. Then a smile began to spread on his lips as he thought of the possibilities that the future might keep in store for him.