Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The Pretender and its related characters don't belong to me. There is no money involved here and no copyright infringement is intended. This is all just my humble way of paying tribute to a really entertaining show that I miss a great deal. 05/04/03




Bridge of the Abyss Part 7



Bridge Over the Abyss


By Phenyx


"There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning." - Thornton Wilder

-

It was just after 3:30 in the morning. They'd driven from Fort Wayne to Chicago, stopping only long enough to refuel the van. Now, Jarod and his family stood in a dark alley behind an abandoned warehouse in the waterfront district.

"Is this where you live, Jarod?" Emily asked, hugging herself from the chill in the air.

Pulling a key chain from his pocket, Jarod flashed his sister a grin. "Occasionally." He quickly flipped through the several keys on the ring, picked one and slid it into the lock on the door.

Sliding the heavy door open, Jarod ushered his family into the dark interior.

Emily said, "Home, sweet home, eh?"

"No." Jarod replied. He flipped a large metal switch and lights abruptly illuminated the area. "This is more like a safe house. Someplace to hide when I'm in this part of the country."

Parker glanced around in mild curiosity. There was an old metal press bolted to the floor to the right of the entrance. Other than that rusting hunk of junk, the area was wide open and spacious, with no ceiling. The roof was twenty feet up.

Thick wooden posts, scattered randomly through the building, held up the rafters. The floors were hard wood, stained dark with years of toil. Huge windows circled the room high above, lining the walls just below the eaves.

Jarod had obviously been here before. Tucked in one corner was a flashy colored motorcycle with a black helmet balanced on the seat. Just a few steps away from the bike there was a sporty vehicle of some kind, shrouded under a car blanket.

A living area had been set up on the far side of the building. A kitchenette lined the far wall. A bed, little more than a cot, was set up next to a huge, well-worn butcher's block table. A single chair and one lamp made up the rest of the furniture in the room. Sitting conspicuously alone on the floor was an old rotary dial telephone.

It took Parker all of thirty seconds to register these facts and interpret them as they pertained to her former prey. Jarod had stayed here. The vehicles he had stored in this building were of little practical use but they were fun. The pretender hadn't wanted to give them away yet. The phone was obviously one of the many phone lines through which he routed his notorious late night calls.

Parker guessed that Jarod probably had a post office box not far from here. That was where the bills would be. An electric bill, phone bill, and the rent. He would have some lackey check the box for him on a regular basis and make sure everything was paid promptly. It would be this paper trail that would prevent Jarod from staying here often.

There was a glaring omission of personal nick-nacks. No newspapers lying about or Pez dispensers to be found.

Parker knew that this was a locale of necessity. It was simply a phone number that doubled as a handy storage space for a couple of Jarod's larger toys. If she looked hard enough Parker figured she'd probably find some identification and cash funds hidden away in case of emergencies.

Jarod turned and looked at his mother with a frown. "I've got a sleeping bag in the closet, but I'm afraid some of us will have to rough it on the bare floor."

"Jack should have the cot." Major Charles said. "I don't want that wound to start bleeding again.

Jarod nodded. "I suppose the ladies will need to slug it out over the sleeping bag." He grinned.

Parker crossed her arms and wandered away pensively.

Jarod frowned as he watched her move away. He was worried about her. Parker had been uncommonly withdrawn during the drive. She didn't act angry or upset, in itself an unusual occurrence. She seemed almost dazed, as though someone had tossed a bucket of water on the flame that burned in her personality.

Forcing the concern from his mind, Jarod walked to the closet and yanked a rolled sleeping bag from an upper shelf. There was a pull on his ribs, causing Jarod to hide a grimace. He ached everywhere. But rather than say anything to upset his parents, Jarod suppressed his pain.

Jarod tossed the bundle to his father. Reaching back into the closet, Jarod found a shirt and a clean pair of jeans. "There is a first aid kit in the cabinet above the sink." He said to his father. "You can apply fresh bandages to Jack's shoulder." Turning to the weary boy Jarod added. "There's acetaminophen for the pain."

Jack sighed tiredly. "Great!" he said thankfully.

Jarod grinned and patted the boy's good shoulder. "I'm going to wash off some of the grime. Anyone want to use the bathroom before they turn in?"

For several minutes, there was a burst of activity as everyone prepared for bed. By the time Jarod actually got to the lavatory himself, Jack's shoulder had been tended and the boy was quickly on his way to sleep. The rest of the family was getting situated and settling in for what was left of the night. Parker was leaning against the counter watching the others.

Jarod caught her eye for a moment and sent her a questioning look. But Parker's only reply was to look away quickly, behaving as though she hadn't seen him. Jarod frowned again. Shrugging helplessly, he went into the restroom and closed the door behind him.

The tiled room was large by any standards. It had once been a public facility, with several stalls along one wall. Jarod had removed the multiple toilets, leaving only one. He'd been practicing his skills with plumbing at the time. In preparation for a pretend in that profession, Jarod had gone to great lengths with the renovations in this room.

As a result, this modern bathroom was a stunning contradiction to the sparse accoutrements of the rest of the building. Multi-colored ceramic tiled the walls, the floor and even the ceiling in geometric patterns. The faucets gleamed brass and a long counter along the wall enclosed a double sink.

In the corner was a tiled platform that held the large bathtub. Jarod slipped his jacket off his shoulders as he began to run very hot water into the tub. Quickly shedding the rest of his clothing, Jarod looked in the mirror that covered one wall in order to examine the damage done by the car earlier in the evening.

Thankfully, Jarod hadn't hit his head but there was an angry bruise along his ribs on the right side. His leather coat had protected him from abrasions but there were two large lumps on his forearms where he'd hit the pavement. On Jarod's left hip was another large and painful bruise caused by the initial impact with the moving car.

Biting his lower lip to contain his grunts of pain, Jarod pressed at the swollen blotch on his torso, feeling along each rib individually as he searched for broken bones. After several minutes, Jarod was convinced that hairline cracks in two ribs was the worst of the damage. Nothing was broken.

Breathing heavily as his side throbbed, Jarod wiped away the sweat that had beaded on his brow. Jarod stepped into the tub and sighed with relief as he lowered himself into the steaming hot liquid. Sinking into the still rising water, Jarod leaned his head against edge of the tub and closed his eyes.

With a sense of wonder, Jarod replayed the events of the past several hours in his mind. He had led a sweeper team on a merry chase through the woods. He'd nearly been run over by a car. He had miraculously been reunited with his family. It had been an incredible night. Parker had even left The Centre behind her, at long last.

Jarod frowned again as he thought of Parker. He turned off the water spigot with the toes on one foot and stared at the ceiling fretfully. She wasn't behaving like the Parker that Jarod was used to. Unable to pinpoint what was bothering her, Jarod eased himself low in the tub, submersing his head. He blew lazy bubbles through his nose as the heat began to loosen the aches in his sore muscles.

The pretender sat back up with a sigh. Running both hands across his head, Jarod slicked his wet hair back on his head and pillowed his neck against the edge of the tub without bothering to open his eyes.

Jarod sensed a presence in the room. When the soft voice finally spoke, Jarod wasn't the least bit surprised.

"You've probably broken those ribs." Parker said with a softly scolding tone.

Jarod rolled his head to the side so that he could see her as he opened his eyes. "I've cracked two. But there's no break."

He watched Parker's face as she frowned at the large black and purple blemish on his side. Jarod thought he saw something soften in those steel gray eyes. It was a sad, fearful look that made Jarod worry.

Stepping closer to the tub, Parker offered Jarod an object hidden in her hand. "I brought you the Advil." She said with a shrug, handing him the little bottle. "I figured you might need it."

"Thanks." Jarod said with a wry grin. "I do feel as though I've been hit by a truck."

The strange look flitted across Parker's face again. "It's not funny, damn it." She said in a sharp voice. "You could have been killed."

"Since when has that prospect bothered you, Parker?" Jarod teased playfully.

Parker gasped. "I've never wanted you dead, Jarod." She whispered, hurt by his accusation.

"I know that." Jarod said gently. "If you had, I'd have gotten a bullet in the heart a long time ago."

Parker flinched and abruptly turned away. Jarod could see her reflection in the mirror as she hugged her arms tightly around her. He was startled to realize that her lower lip was trembling.

The scene was so odd, Jarod thought. He was sitting nude in a tub full of water, talking to Miss Parker as the ice queen herself fought off tears. "Maybe you did hit your head." He thought to himself.

Parker stared at the peculiar image of their reflection. Jarod sat there naked as the day he was born. Parker should have been able to exert some measure of authority over him considering the vulnerability of his current position. Yet the pretender looked up at her with concern written across his face, unfazed by their incongruent situation.

Tilting his head curiously, Jarod said questioningly, "Parker?" The tenderness in his voice affected her more than she could admit. The tight hold Parker had held on her strained emotions slipped and she fought desperately to hang on to it.

Squeezing her eyes shut tightly, Parker battled with her raw nerves. The roller coaster ride of terror she'd been on tonight had drained her to the point of exhaustion. She knew she shouldn't be here. The last thing her frazzled psyche needed was another verbal jousting match with the lab rat.

But Parker just could not make herself leave the room. As in the days when they were children, Parker felt herself drawn to her old friend. Like a lost and lonely waif, she needed to see him, to know that he was okay. She needed to know that she was not alone.

In the darkness behind her closed lids, the memory of Jarod's life slipping away shimmered before her. Her eyes snapped open with fear and she whirled around to stare at the man who was watching her so intently.

"You're frightened." Jarod stated simply. "Please, tell me why?"

Parker lowered her eyes, unwilling to discuss anything yet. Frantically attempting to ease her raging mind, Parker found herself gazing at the lithe form of Jarod's body.

Even bruised and battered as he was, Jarod was a delicious sight. His broad shoulders angled to his narrow waist in perfect symmetry. The definitively ribbed structure of his abdomen led down to muscular thighs. Every inch of the pretender's body seemed perfectly proportioned to his long frame. Parker snuck a peek at Jarod's more intimate regions and found them to be equally well formed.

"Parker." Jarod growled a soft warning. His voice dropped to a whisper. "Talk to me. Tell me what's wrong."

Looking into those deep brown eyes, Parker felt the gentle acceptance in Jarod's gaze. Taking another step toward the tub, Parker was drawn in Jarod's direction as though an invisible string connected them. A deep longing swelled within her and Parker felt her hard emotional veneer begin to crack.

Her lower lip quivered as she whispered, "Make it all go away, Jarod."

"I can't," he answered gently. "Not until you tell me what it is. If I know the problem, I can help you. Together you and I can handle anything, Parker." Jarod's voice and smile vibrated with conviction.

It was the confidence in Jarod's voice that shattered Parker's final defenses. Moving only on instinct, Parker quickly slipped out of her clothing. Ignoring Jarod's look of surprise, Parker stepped into the tub and sat down in the water between his thighs with her back toward Jarod.

Sliding close to the pretender so that her back pressed against his chest, Parker grabbed one of Jarod's wrists and wrapped his arm around her midsection. Following her lead, Jarod snaked his other arm around her shoulders, pulling her close.

"Don't let go." Parker whispered tearfully. "Don't ever let go."

"Parker!" Jarod gasped. "You're trembling."

The hours long battle with shock and fear finally ended as Parker submitted to them, abruptly bursting into quiet tears.

Jarod hugged Parker firmly against him. Burying his face in her hair, Jarod held her tight as Parker's sobs grew. "You're scaring me, Parker." He whispered into her ear. "Please talk to me."

Heaving breaths between her tears Parker gasped, "I remembered the dream. I remember it all."

She told him everything, holding back not even the slightest detail. Sobbing throughout the narrative, Parker told Jarod about her vision. She told him about the silver pickup truck with the blue metallic racing stripe. She detailed the experience of arriving too late at the farmhouse. Parker described the shrouded bodies, Jarod's capture and subsequent return to The Centre. She told him about the cemetery and the burials of his family members.

Words flowed from Parker's mouth like ooze from an infected wound as she recounted the terrifying attack on Lyle, the spattered blood, and Sydney's last words. She told Jarod about the gruesome chase through the hallways of The Centre and her certainty of the mad pretender's destination.

Finally Parker described their final moments on the roof, Jarod's pleas for the only freedom left to him. She flinched as she told him about the single gunshot echoing through a perfect spring day.

"You died in my arms." Parker whispered miserably.

"But I didn't." Jarod soothed. "I'm right here. You saved us."

Hiccupping between her tears, Parker cried. Small rivers ran down her cheeks as she said, "The hell of it is, Jarod, I don't give a damn about rescuing your folks. Even Ethan's death I could have handled. I'd have mourned him but I would have survived."

Jarod's hands, warm and wet from the bath water, caressed little circles on Parker's shoulder blade as she talked.

"But Jarod," Parker swallowed. "Every sorrow I've ever endured in my life has been made bearable by your presence."

Jarod gave her a reassuring squeeze.

"Who will help me through the anguish of losing you?" Parker whispered as the sobs overwhelmed her.

"You won't lose me." Jarod vowed holding Parker tight.

Parker shook her head in futility. "It was so close tonight, Jarod. First there was the fire, then that car. I nearly lost you twice."

"I'm here." Jarod murmured into her hair, moisture building in his own eyes.

A strange sensation started to build in Jarod's chest. A happiness unsurpassed by anything Jarod had ever felt, grew from the knowledge that this incredible woman needed him. But at the same time, there was an agonizing sadness at Parker's pain and Jarod's inability to ease her anguish.

"You won't lose me." Jarod promised again as he hugged Parker to his chest.

Clutching at the strong arms wrapped around her middle, Parker dissolved into exhausted weeping. Years of tightly bottled up misery rushed to the surface, pouring from her tormented soul in a cathartic release.

Jarod caressed Parker's skin and whispered soothingly into her ear for a long time before she finally cried herself out. Slowly relaxing into the safety of Jarod's arms, Parker leaned her head back against his shoulder.

Parker lazily dribbled water from her fingertips across Jarod's thigh. Jarod's leg was bent at the knee so Parker was alternating between caressing the smooth skin on the inside of his knee and running water droplets through the curling hair on his leg.

The bathwater had gone cold some time ago, but neither of them was inclined to move.

Looking over her shoulder, Parker saw Jarod with his eyes closed. His head rested against the edge of the tub wearily.

"News flash, Pez-head." Parker scolded lightly. "You've got a naked woman between your legs. Most men wouldn't fall asleep at a time like this."

Jarod opened his eyes and grinned playfully. "I'm not most men." Running his fingertips up Parker's arm, he added, "I refuse to take advantage of a woman while she's having a nervous breakdown."

Parker sighed. "God, is that what this is?"

"Pretty close." Jarod agreed.

A small smile curved Parker's lips. "You may never get an opportunity like this again."

"I'll take my chances." Jarod grinned mischievously. "I think the odds are stacked pretty well in my favor."

Parker sniffed haughtily. "You're awfully damned sure of yourself, aren't you?"

"Yes I am." He answered confidently.

They laughed quietly together. After a moment Parker turned toward him and said, "I'm feeling one hundred percent better, Jarod. You wouldn't be taking advantage." She offered.

Running his index finger over her eyebrow, he said softly, "Not tonight, Love." Jarod smiled. "It's nearly dawn. We haven't much time. And when our relationship goes there, I'm going to need all night long."

One delicate brow rose on Parker's forehead. "All night?" she asked in a deadpan voice. "Do you think you have that kind of stamina?"

"After thirty years of fantasies?" Jarod growled playfully. Snarling melodramatically into Parker's hair he said," Woman, the things I am going to do to you will make the angels weep."

Parker laughed delightedly and snuggled back into Jarod's arms. She was physically and emotionally drained. But huddled in Jarod's warm embrace, Parker felt safe and protected. It was a feeling she had nearly forgotten.

"Parker?" Jarod said gently. "As much as I am truly enjoying this, we should really get out of this freezing water and try to get some sleep."

They spent an intriguing couple of minutes drying one another off with large white bath towels. The tenderness Jarod displayed as he squeezed moisture from Parker's hair made her heart swell. Jarod then gave her the clean shirt to wear while he slid into the pair of jeans he'd found in the closet.

With one of the towels draped over his shoulder, Jarod took Parker by the hand and they padded barefoot to the next room. The lights were all off but moonlight filtering down from the windows provided enough illumination to guide the way.

Picking an arbitrary spot, Jarod lay down on the floor and propped his head on the folded towel. He held a hand out toward Parker, who took it unhesitatingly. The pretender folded her into his arms, curling Parker against his chest with ease, as if they had done this a hundred times.

"Comfy?" He whispered, draping his leather jacket over them both.

Stretched out on top of Jarod, with her head pillowed against his bare chest, was just about the warmest, safest feeling Parker had ever experienced.

"Very." She murmured with a small smile.

Jarod fell asleep almost instantly, a skill Parker had always envied. Even as worn out as she was, Parker feared she might lie awake for hours. But the reassuring warmth of Jarod's body combined with the soothing rhythm of his heartbeat beneath her ear calmed Parker's mind. Wrapped securely in a protective embrace, Parker drifted into unconsciousness within minutes.

--

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, unseasonably warm for this early in spring.

Jarod and his family had left the warehouse in Chicago this morning after only a few hours of rest. Parker had been correct in her assumption that there had been cash hidden somewhere in the place. Jarod suddenly had an impressive sum of money stuffed in his pockets.

As they had left the city, the group had stopped at a mega-mall and spent a hilarious couple of hours shopping. Seeing as everyone had fled the farmhouse last night with nothing but the clothes on their backs, they needed everything from toothbrushes and underwear to shoes and jackets.

Jarod had subjected his parents to his strange sense of humor for the first time. He'd shelled out more than $200 to have all his clothing monogrammed. Even his t-shirts and underwear now held the insignia J.M.C., representing his given name, Jarod Michael Caulfield.

They'd been standing beside a magazine rack in the bookstore, buying a newspaper, when Jarod suddenly grabbed his mother and blurted, "When is my birthday?"

"October 15th." She had answered with an indulgent smile.

With a gleeful chuckle, Jarod said, "I'm a Libra." He glanced meaningfully at Parker.

Overnight, there had been a subtle change in the relationship between Jarod and Miss Parker. They were never far from each other, even holding hands at one point as they strolled through the mall.

Jarod plucked a paperback from a nearby shelf. It was one of those zodiac books devoted to the sign of Libra. Flipping through the first few pages Jarod read,

"Libras are stimulated mentally with a detached perspective. They are motivated and recharged by intellectual concepts. The Libra approaches the world with reason, balance, and a sense of fairness. Everything is open to analysis. Even-handed, harmonious, artistic, diplomatic, balancing, and strong sense of aesthetic beauty are characteristics typically associated with Libra.

Ruled by the planet Venus and symbolized by the Scales of Justice, Libra is concerned with making choices, weighing the evidence, and maintaining balance. Barring other factors in your chart, Libra is quite social and sensitive to what's going on around them. So for Libra's own sense of harmony, they often end up acting as peacemakers in their environment."

Jarod winked at Parker and the two of them had laughed until tears ran down their faces.

As the day had grown warmer and the afternoon approached, Jarod had been consumed by the desire to have a family picnic. So once they had finished at the mall, there had been a trip to the grocery store where Jarod had purchased paper plates, soda, hot dogs and a multitude of other items the pretender seemed to think were necessary for such an event.

It had taken some effort to find a place for their picnic. Finally they had by chance come across a state park, complete with walking trails, wooden tables, and barbeque grills.

Now the entire family sat around a picnic table covered with the remains of the large meal. For hours they had talked about a variety of subjects as they munched on chips, potato salad and watermelon. Jarod was enraptured as, with each word, he learned more about himself and the family that he had been denied for so long.

"I don't think I've ever seen anyone eat so much." Emily chided her big brother. "You should be as big as a house."

Parker smiled affectionately at the tall man sitting beside her. Jarod's dark eyes sparkled with unabashed joy as he laughed at Emily's lighthearted teasing.

"I do a lot of running." Jarod grinned.

Parker shook her head in amusement. When Jarod caught her smirk, he asked, "What?"

Smiling again Parker said tenderly, "You're in heaven aren't you, Jarod?"

Jarod's grin widened. "Not quite, but I'm in the general neighborhood." He replied.

A refreshment stand several hundred yards away caught Parker's eye. An idea popped into her head, making her stand suddenly.

"I'll be right back." She mumbled as she strode across the grass.

Several minutes later she made her way back to the table with a soft serve vanilla ice cream cone in one hand. As she approached Jarod and his family, Parker became acutely aware that all conversation had abruptly stopped.

"Am I interrupting?" Parker asked as her smile slipped away from her face.

Jarod looked up at Parker and smiled reassuringly. "No." He said. "My mother was just warning me about how dangerous the Parkers can be."

Flashing a quick glare at the older woman, Parker replied, "No one knows that better than you do, Jarod."

"That's what I said." Jarod said lightly. "There seems to be some concern that I may be seduced to the dark side."

Parker felt six pairs of eyes staring at her expectantly.

"I told them that no one has been doing any seducing." Jarod added with a smirk.

"The fact that we haven't had sex yet is nobody's damn business." Parker said sharply. She sat dejectedly on the bench, leaning her back against the tabletop. "Here." She groused, handing Jarod the cone.

Jarod smiled indulgently. He tilted his head at Parker, an unspoken question lingering in his eyes.

Parker turned and gazed at Jarod. The look on the pretender's face said volumes. He didn't give a flying fig what anyone else thought. He would never abandon Parker. She suddenly realized that whatever else happened, the connection between them would be an eternal force.

A soft smile curled Parker's lips as her heart found a security it had not known since her mother's death. Pointing at the ice cream Parker said tenderly, "That should bring you one step closer to heaven."

Jarod straddled the picnic table bench and hauled Parker closer, so that she was situated in the v between his legs. "I have a better idea." He purred.

Slurping the curlicue off the top of the frozen treat, Jarod immediately leaned over and kissed Parker deeply on the lips. It was the first kiss they had shared since they were children. Filled with promise, the kiss was gentle, yet insistent. Jarod's tongue, cold from the ice cream, flicked into Parker's mouth and she tasted vanilla.

Fully cognizant of their stunned audience, Jarod kissed Parker in such a way that only she was aware of the passion that simmered under his tightly controlled surface. When they slowly parted a moment later, a desire that no one else could see sparkled between them.

"Now that's heaven." Jarod murmured.

Smiling happily, Parker said slyly, "Baby, you ain't seen nothin' yet."
"Oh good grief," Jack groaned theatrically. "Get a room." The boy grinned as he grabbed another handful of chips.

Jarod's eyes glittered mischievously. "What an excellent idea!" he exclaimed jokingly.

Margaret and Charles exchanged a nervous look. "I don't have any say in this, do I?" Jarod's mother said.

Wrapping one arm around Parker's middle, Jarod took another bite from his ice cream cone. "No, Mother. You don't." He said simply. The pretender's deep brown eyes burned into Parker's gray one's as he studied her face tenderly. "You can not begin to understand the connection Parker and I share."

Parker leaned her head against Jarod's shoulder and sighed contentedly. "After all these years, I'm not sure I understand it myself." She said.

"I'm only trying to protect my son." Margaret explained.

Gazing seriously at the older woman, Parker said, "I'd throw myself under a train before I'd ever think of hurting him, Mrs. Caulfield."

Jarod smiled. "Well at least the two of you have one thing in common." He said. "Me!"

"Oh you are so full of yourself!" Parker groused. She shook her head ruefully and said to Ethan, "He's going to be ridiculously pleased with himself for at least a month."

"I don't know, Miss Parker." Ethan smiled. "I think if we gang up on him, we might be able to bring him back down to Earth."

"Don't bet on it, Bro." Jarod said as he crunched into his cone with a grin. "I've just had my every wish fulfilled. My feet may never touch the ground again."

Margaret laughed in soft resignation. "Joy is a powerful thing isn't it, Son?"

"Yes," Jarod laughed delightedly as he hugged Parker close. "I'm learning that it is."