Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I own nothing concerning the Pretender. Suing would not be nice. You don’t really need to read TRUCE 1--I only made small references to it.

Author’s note: MUSH, MUSH, AND MORE MUSH. You non-shippers can turn back now—YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!



“Truce”

part 2
by Rachel




CHRISTMAS EVE MORNING

The darkened halls of the Centre gave Miss Parker chills as she headed to her office. The emptiness and coldness of the place vibrated her very soul, giving her second thoughts about her plans. But to save another from this tomb was warming her heart. The truce she made with Jarod a couple of days ago lightened her spirits. She picked up a few things from her office and as she headed out the door, her cell phone rang.

“What?” she answered, but it was lacking her normal venom.

“Merry Christmas, Miss Parker,” Jarod greeted.

The sound of his voice put a smile on her lips and her heart fluttered just a little. She dismissed the feeling as nerves.

“Merry Christmas to you, too, Jarod,” she greeted back with sincerity. There was no need for pretense or built walls.

“I found my family. Not all, just my father and JJ,” He said simply, without gloating, maybe even feeling a little sadness for her.

“I’m happy for you, Jarod, really.”

“Thank you. What are you doing for the holidays?”

“I’ve quit hosting a pity party and decided to do something about it.”

“Oh? And what would that be?” Jarod asked, relieved that she was going to be fine.

“I’m taking Angelo to my house and I’m going to treat him to a nice Christmas--complete with a Christmas tree and presents. Do you think he’ll like that?”

Jarod smiled. “He would love it! Miss Parker….” Jarod paused, as if wanting to ask her something but not finding the words.

Miss Parker felt his uneasiness and smiled at the thought of finally quenching the Pretender’s smugness. “I have to go, Jarod. I have a million things to get done. I was hoping you’d call, so I’m glad you did. I was going to ask you for a Christmas truce, as friends of course, but since you found your family, I’m sure you’d rather spend the day with them.”

“Thank you for the offer, Miss Parker. Say hello to Angelo for me.”

“Tell JJ I think about him and wish I could see him again.”

“Merry Christmas, Miss Parker.”

“Merry Christmas, Jarod.” Miss Parker heard the click on the other end and she held the phone to her face a little longer, savoring the memory of the smooth voice that lingered on her mind.

Miss Parker traveled the halls again looking for Angelo. She remembered his favored spot and she crouched down at a vent calling out his name. Angelo appeared before her, unsure of why she was there.

She smiled at him and his countenance lightened as if he was recollecting their younger days of friendship.

“I’m taking you away for a couple of days, Angelo,” she whispered cautiously.

“Angelo can’t leave the Centre,” he uttered with concern.

“Don’t worry, it’ll be alright. I have some things I have to get done then I’ll come back for you. Be ready by 8:00 o’clock tonight.”

Angelo nodded, trusting his friend.

“What are you doing, Miss Parker?” an accusing voice sounded behind her. Miss Parker was startled and she hit her head on the top of the vent. She replaced the vent cover and she stood up calmly, facing the questioning face of Mr. Raines.

“I’m looking for a rat, “ she gritted out, “and I found one,” giving him a sneer as she walked passed him.

“Merry Christmas, Miss Parker,” Raines called out.

“Ho, Ho, Ho,” she responded dryly.

“Poor lonely girl,” Raines muttered under his breath.

************

Angelo looked around Miss Parker’s house nervously, feeling misplaced in a home filled with beautiful Christmas decorations--a sight that is so foreign to him. Miss Parker showed him the tree with presents underneath. Angelo clapped for joy, happy like a little child in a toyland. Miss Parker’s heart went out to him. For so many years, Angelo was deprived of the simple joys in life. She smiled victoriously at the little happiness she could give him.

A knock on the door made both of them freeze, a pang of panic creeping upon them. Miss Parker reached for her gun and she ordered Angelo to go into the kitchen and wait quietly. She peered through the window on the door to see who was calling. All she could see were two big boxes, concealing two delivery boys.

“What do you want?” Miss Parker asked curiously.

“We have packages for a Miss Parker?” a muffled voice came from behind the box.

“Fine,” she said, opening the door slowly and returning her gun behind her back, but still remaining alert, “Come in and set them down on the floor,” she said, straining to see the deliverers faces. The two set the boxes on the floor and stood to face Miss Parker. She was speechless, Jarod and JJ were standing in front of her, both smiling. She didn’t realize she was staring at JJ until Jarod spoke.

“Miss Parker, I believe you two have met?”

“Nice to see you again, Miss Parker.” JJ said politely, extending his hand, nervous at the long awaited reunion. She didn’t make a move, just stood there and stared, trying to sort out emotions in her head and heart.

“I hope the offer still stands,” Jarod said, trying to ease the tension, prodding her to react.

“Yes, of course,” she smiled, shaking herself from the trance, hugging JJ tightly. The young man wasn’t sure at first how to react, then he let himself get lost in her warm embrace, inhaling her sweet smell, hugging her in return.

“I can’t believe you’re here!” she cupped JJ’s face, smiling in pleasure. “Angelo!” she called out to him.

Angelo scurried from the kitchen and stopped abruptly when he saw the visitors. He gasped in momentary shock, then smiled a broad smile, a recognition of friends. He rushed toward them and shook their hands excitedly. “Two friends,” he said with gladness. Jarod reached out to him and hugged him. “Good to see you again, Angelo.”

“Angelo,” Miss Parker motioned for him to focus on her, “why don’t you take JJ to the kitchen and show him where the food is.”

“Food?” JJ asked in expectation.

“Come,” Angelo urged. JJ followed blindly, unable to hold in his excitement.

Just when Miss Parker turned to Jarod, he walked away and attempted to follow Angelo as well.

“Where are you going?” Miss Parker asked.

“To get some food before those two eat everything,” Jarod grinned.

“Oh,” Miss Parker said, disappointment trailing in her voice, following Jarod toward the kitchen.

“Oops, I forgot something,” Jarod announced, stopping mid stride, Miss Parker almost running into him. He turned around, grabbed Miss Parker by the waist, kissed her sweetly and tenderly, which she accepted readily. “Merry Christmas, Miss Parker,” he breathe out, sending shivers up her spine.

“Go, get some food,” she smiled, “I think you’ll find Mr. Gonzalez outdid himself with what he made for me.”

“Mr. Gonzalez?” Jarod asked.

“Yes, I called him and he whipped us some holiday cheer. I flew out there this morning and picked them up. He finally found a name for that special heart-shaped bread he offered us. He called it, ‘Parker’s heart’,” Miss Parker beamed with pride and appreciation.

Jarod took her hand and they headed to the kitchen.

They pushed the french doors open and were amused at the sight of Angelo and JJ wide-eyed with pleasure at the spread of food on the counter. The two were tasting everything in sight and enjoying every bite. Jarod joined in their excitement and sat on a stool by the counter. “Wow, everything looks wonderful.”

“Everything IS wonderful,” JJ exclaimed as he took another bite.

Miss Parker walked behind Jarod, rubbing his back and resting her hand on his shoulder. She stood behind him and draped her other arm on his other shoulder and rested her chin on it. When did she become so comfortable with him? She didn’t care. It felt right. “Well? What do you think?”

“Mmmmmm, this is good,” Jarod commented.

“Thank you, Miss Parker,” JJ said sincerely, touched by her generosity.

They ate for a little while, chatting about nothing, talking about everything. A rule was made that no one was to mention the Centre or the past.

“You two have had enough,” she ordered lightly, “You’re going to get sick if you eat any more.”

Angelo and JJ pouted a little but obeyed her.

“That goes the same for you,” she warned Jarod. He nodded, right before he snuck another piece of jelly-filled sweet bread and sticking in his mouth quickly.

“Miss Parker, “JJ interrupted, “can Angelo and I put the presents we brought under the tree?”

“Yes, of course.”

Angelo and JJ walked, almost skipping, out of the kitchen.

Jarod turned around and trapped Miss Parker between his legs, wrapping his arms around her waist. Miss Parker hugged his neck tightly, “I’m so glad you and JJ are here,” she said.

“Why?” Jarod asked, pulling back so he can look into her eyes.

“Because I needed a friend.”

“A kissing friend, I hope,” Jarod smirked.

“Oh, absolutely.” They kissed tenderly, passionately, both enjoying the taste of each other’s lips. Their passion for each other increasing but obvious to both it needed controlling. Miss Parker peeled away and looked intently into Jarod’s eyes, communicating and pleading with her own eyes that there are some things she needs to sort out and wants to take things slowly. Jarod gave her a smile, letting her know he understood and will honor her wishes. Miss Parker hugged him around the neck in gratitude, “Thank you,” she whispered.

“It won’t be easy,” he confessed.

“I know and I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry.”

They embraced for a little while longer, content with each other.

“It’s late, we better get to bed,” Miss Parker noticed the mischief in Jarod’s eyes and she gave him a warning look. “Separately,” she emphasized playfully.

***************

Miss Parker awoke with a jolt, her heartbeat echoing in her ears. She darted her eyes, trying to get accustomed to the darkness. 3:55 a.m. A dreadful feeling pierced her being. She grabbed her gun and cautiously made her way out of her bedroom. She checked Jarod’s room and from what she could see with the dim light of the clock, the bed was empty. Her hand shook in panic and fear, her mind racing and she were unable to think. She quickly opened the room where Angelo and JJ should be and she felt her heart stop. They were gone, too. “No,” she cried silently. “Please, not again,” she pleaded to anyone who might be able to ease her pain. She heard a noise downstairs and she headed there, her gun drawn in front of her, determined to protect and avenge. She saw a light in the kitchen and she kicked the doors open. She froze. Her gun extended in front of her, her eyes blurred by tears.

“Miss Parker!” JJ cried in distress. Angelo cowered in fear. Jarod turned his head and was shocked at the sight of Miss Parker pointing a gun at them.

Miss Parker shook herself out of it and lowered her eyes to the gun. The tears fell furiously and she backed away quickly. “I’m sorry,” she cried, running out of the kitchen, discarding her gun. Jarod motioned for JJ and Angelo to stay and he ran after her.

“Parker!” Jarod called out. Miss Parker stopped but didn’t turn around to face him. She sobbed in her hands, her body trembling.

“Come here,” Jarod consoled, turning her around and enveloping her with his strong arms, letting her cry on his chest.

“I-I thought I slept through it again,” she struggled to say.

“Slept through what?”

*************

“When I found Thomas….” She paused, haunted by the vision of Thomas dead on
her porch.

“I understand,” Jarod said. Miss Parker calmed, relieved that she didn’t have to explain everything , and relieved that everyone was fine.

“I’m sorry for over-reacting,” she apologized, continuing to hold on to Jarod, soothed by his steady heartbeat on her cheek.

“And I’m sorry for giving you a scare like that,” Jarod said, somehow ecstatic she cared that much.

Miss Parker’s head shot up, a worried look on her face “Oh no! JJ and Angelo! I have to explain!” She tried to untangle herself from Jarod and rush to the kitchen but Jarod held on to her to stop her.

“Don’t worry about them, I’ll take care of it. Why don’t you go back to bed and I’ll make sure those two do the same. Then I’ll come by and check in before I hit the sack, too. Okay?” Jarod smiled.

Miss Parker nodded and headed back up the stairs, turning back one last time, just to make sure.

***********

Jarod tapped lightly on the door, pushing it open slowly. He peeked in to find Miss Parker sitting up on the bed, staring off in the distance, lost in thought.

Jarod slipped in quietly so not to startle her. “Hi,” he greeted gently. Miss Parker looked up at him and smiled. Jarod sat on the edge of the bed. Miss Parker scooted over to make room for him. “Are you alright?” Jarod asked concerned.

“I’m fine.”

“What’s really wrong, Parker?” Jarod asked softly.

Miss Parker let out a soft, sad laugh and looked down on Jarod’s hand that rested near her thigh. “It scares me that……” she paused and gently rubbed his arm. “It scares me that I care so much for Angelo, for JJ.”

Jarod lifted her chin and saw the tears, not quite understanding her fears.

“And for you,” she said in an almost inaudible whisper.

Jarod held her tightly. Miss Parker found comfort and peace in his arms. It really did scare her--the feelings, the deep connection, the bond. She wasn’t taught to feel gentleness and concern--especially for Jarod. But on this special moment, this special day, she was going to let her heart win the war.

****************

Jarod woke with Miss Parker still cradled in his arms. He hadn’t expected to spend the rest of the night in the same bed with her, but he couldn’t let her go. He needed her as much as she needed him. He heard noises down the hall and concluded that Angelo and JJ must be up and scurrying down to open presents. Miss Parker stirred and nuzzled deeper into his form.

“I think the boys are awake,” Jarod said.

“Uh, hmn,” Miss Parker mumbled.

“It’s Christmas morning, Parker. Time to open presents!” Jarod announced as he slipped off the bed, but not before kissing her on the top of the head. “I’ll see you downstairs.”

Miss Parker’s body collapsed gently as Jarod vacated the bed, her face buried in the covers, her form unwilling to get up. After a few moments, she, too, crawled off the bed, slipped on her robe, and headed downstairs.

She found JJ and Angelo half buried in the presents by the tree and Jarod reclined on the floor, leaning on the edge of the couch, smiling a very amused smile. Miss Parker came around the couch and nestled herself on the floor. Jarod guided her so that she sat between his legs. She leaned into him, feeling his stubbled chin against her temple. They both sat, shaking their head at the two excited boys that ripped into the gift-wrapped boxes. JJ scrambled toward the couple, not even bothering to get up, but crawled toward them with a present in his hand. “We got something for you, Miss Parker!”

“For me?”

“Open it!”

Miss Parker hurriedly ripped the paper and with wide-eyed wonder held up a brand new pair of ice skates.

“Jarod said there’s a pond not too far from here. We thought it would be fun to go. Say you’ll go. Please?” JJ begged.

“Of course I’ll go.”

“Yeah! We got Angelo a pair, too. This is great! This is the best Christmas, ever!” JJ exclaimed. He scurried off again to examine and marvel at the gifts he received from Jarod and to join Angelo in his delight.

“It’s been so long since I’ve gone ice skating. I hope I still remember how.” Miss Parker voiced worriedly.

“I’m sure you’ll do better than I will. Ice skating is one pretend I haven’t had the opportunity to experience,” Jarod confessed.

“I’m stunned,” Miss Parker said, “something Jarod is not good at? I’m going to take full advantage of this!”

“Yeah, yeah.” Jarod said dryly as he reached behind him to pull out a small package. “I have something for you.” He said as he held the beautiful gift in front of her.

She took it gently in her hands and carefully unwrapped it. Her eyes blurred at the beauty of what was inside. She fingered the necklace and admired it. “It’s beautiful,” she whispered, “where did you get it?”

“I worked at a sapphire mine once.”

“You made this?”

“I worked at a jewelry shop, too.”

“I love it,” she said, motioning for him to put it around her neck. She fingered it one last time before turning her head to give Jarod a kiss. “Thank you.”

Miss Parker turned her body halfway so that she straddled Jarod’s one leg. She wrapped her arms around his neck and touched her forehead with his. “I didn’t get you anything,” she said regretfully.

“What you’ve done for JJ and me is more than I could ever ask for. JJ is right. This IS the best Christmas ever,” he smiled, kissing her tenderly.

Angelo and JJ saw the moment between the two and decided to give them time alone. They got up quietly and headed to the kitchen to eat some more food.

The kisses they shared became more intense. Miss Parker crossed her legs to ease the sensation and Jarod pulled her in closer, pressing his arousal against her side. He kissed her neck and she savored the heat of his breath on her skin. Jarod pulled away quickly and apologized. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t….”

Miss Parker smiled and let out a merry laugh and kissed him again. Angelo and JJ emerged from the kitchen and announced it was time to go skating.

“Can we go now? Please?” JJ pleaded.

Miss Parker and Jarod looked over at the two with the pathetic, begging faces and conceded.

“Alright, “ Miss Parker said. “Let’s get changed and head to the pond.”

“Right on!” JJ exclaimed.

Miss Parker and Jarod looked at each other bewilderedly. “Right on?” they questioned each other, smiling at the phrase that came out of JJ’s mouth.

They all emerged from their rooms dressed warmly for the outing. JJ and Angelo ran downstairs to wait for Jarod and Miss Parker.

“You ready?” Jarod asked Miss Parker as he met her in the hallway.

“I’m ready for this.” She grabbed him by the neck and kissed him passionately. He returned the kiss with equal fervor, pressing her against the wall. Then she slowly broke the kiss and slipped out from under his grasp and headed down the stairs, leaving him still puckered and wanting. She turned back with a teasing smile and reached out for his hand. Jarod clasped her hand and just shook his head.

******

On the way back from the pond, Miss Parker walked with JJ ahead of Jarod and Angelo. JJ took in everything she said and thoroughly enjoyed her company.

“Watch this, JJ. And when I say run, you’d better run,” she said playfully. She *accidentally* dropped a glove and when she bent down to pick it up, she scooped up a handful of snow and formed it into a ball as she stood.

“What did you make?” JJ asked curiously.

“It’s called a snowball,” she whispered. She pivoted quickly and threw the snow, hitting Jarod squarely on the chest. “Now, run!!!”

Jarod was stunned momentarily and with narrowed eyes and a smirk on his face, he ran after the two. Angelo followed closely behind, also sporting a mischievous grin.

Miss Parker grabbed JJ and crouched behind a big rock, frantically forming snowballs, getting ready to pelt Jarod and Angelo when they ran toward them. As Miss Parker and JJ stood to launch their assault, they were greeted with silence. Angelo and Jarod were nowhere to be found.

“Oh damn,” she muttered.

“What?” JJ uttered in distress.

“Jarod is an expert in jungle tactics and Angelo is an expert in hiding,” she explained, looking around for any sign of them. “We’d better skedaddle, cause we are doomed. Go!”

JJ ran as fast as he can toward the house. Miss Parker gathered her skates and headed toward the house herself. But before she can make a step, Jarod tackled her, sending them to the ground in a heap. Jarod pinned her down with his body, holding her wrists above her head.

“Did you think you’d get away with that?” he asked menacingly.

“What are you going to do to me?” Miss Parker asked, smiling nervously.

“For starters, this,” and he kissed her, freeing her arms and they wrapped around his neck instantly.

“For enders, this,” and he stuffed a handful of snow down her back and quickly ran off, leaving her screaming in shock and threats of revenge.

The three boys stood by the house with their hands behind their back, waiting for her. Miss Parker approached them in disbelief.

“You wouldn’t dare!” she gasped.

“We dare,” Jarod announced. He and Angelo threw snowballs at her. JJ on the other hand, threw the snow at Jarod and Angelo, gaining him approval from Miss Parker. After their all-out big snowball fight, they went into the house exhausted and laughing.

******

They played games, ate, and watched old movies. There were times Miss Parker complained at the unfairness of playing games with three geniuses. And when Angelo and Jarod paired up against her and JJ, they didn’t stand a chance of beating the empath and the experienced Pretender.

About 11 p.m., they finally got tired and headed off to bed.

“Good night,” Miss Parker whispered as she kissed Jarod’s cheek. Before he could react, Miss Parker was out of his embrace and headed to her room. Disappointed a little, alright, A LOT, Jarod sighed and went into his own room.

Jarod stood on the side of the bed arranging his things with his back to the door, clad only in his boxer shorts, when three quick knocks came. Without turning around, he called out, “Come in, JJ” He heard the door open and close.

“What do you need, little bro…,” turning around and stopping in mid-sentence when he saw Miss Parker standing there.

“Oh, I thought you were JJ,” he stammered. Jarod was stunned. He was unable to move, his brain was not functioning, and his insides were in a whirlwind. He stared at her in awe as she walked slowly toward him. Her robe gapped, the satin string untying as she moved, revealing gently her long, gorgeous legs. The midnight black teddy she wore hung gently on her perfect body.

“I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable,” she said, her voice teasing and seductive. Jarod could only nod. She stood in front him and ran her hands up his arm. She paused a little, holding his shoulders before running her hands back down his arms and guiding them to wrap around her waist, not once breaking eye contact. He smiled at her goofily, wondering what she was up to, and hoping really hard it was something he wants her to be up to. He didn’t make an aggressive move—just waited for her. She chuckled at his expression and slowly, so painfully slow, brought her face close to his.

“Merry Christmas, “she breathe out. She kissed him gently on the lips, sending shivers up and down his spine. He took his cue, his heart beating out of control, and he held her tightly in his arms, kissing her tenderly and passionately.

In the other room JJ and Angelo lay on their back staring at the ceiling when the computer interrupted their thoughts.

“You have a video phone call,” it announced.

JJ rushed to the computer and accessed the call.

“Dad!” he exclaimed.

“Hello, JJ,” Major Charles greeted. “Where’s Jarod?”

“I’ll go get him,” JJ said hastily and ran out the door toward Jarod’s room.

The tapping on the door and the calling of Jarod’s name interrupted their romantic moment.

Jarod struggled to break free of Miss Parker’s longing kiss and warm embrace, his whole being resisting, but the urgency in JJ’s voice gnawed at him. He opened the door slightly, concealing Miss Parker behind him and the door. She held his one hand and caressed his back with her other hand.

“What’s wrong?” Jarod asked.

“Dad’s on a video call, he want’s to talk to us,” JJ said hurridly.

Miss Parker patted him on the back to urge him to take the call.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” Jarod said as he shut the door. “I’m sorry,” he apologized.

“Go, mustn’t keep the Major waiting,” Miss Parker said lightly, trying to conceal her disappointment.

Jarod kissed her quickly on the lips before heading down the hall.

Jarod sat at the computer and greeted his father. “Dad! You left so quickly. Is it about Mom and Emily?”

“Yes, son. I think I found some clues about your mother’s whereabouts. I’ll need you and JJ to meet me as soon as you can. How soon can you be here?”

JJ peered over Jarod’s shoulder, wide eyed with expectation. “I’ll pack now and we’ll leave right away. Right Jarod?” JJ asked.

“Yes, of course. We’re only a few hours away, dad.” Jarod answered hesitantly. Miss Parker stood in the doorway, saddened by the fact the Jarod and JJ were leaving.

“Fine, son,” the Major stated. “You know where to find me. I’ll see you in a few hours.”

Jarod terminated the call and sat there silently while JJ scurried around the room gathering his things. Jarod finally stood up and walked to where Miss Parker was standing. He didn’t know how or what to feel. He was excited about maybe finding his mother, but crushed that he has to leave the woman that he’s starting to deeply care about. And not just that, she was ready to share her feelings and show how much she cared, too. That’s such a big step for her. The timing was definitely not in his favor. He took her hand and led her back to his room so he can pack before JJ finishes.

Miss Parker watched as Jarod put his things in his bag. There were no words to say and there were no hiding their disappointments and sadness. Miss Parker finally made a move toward him and touched his arm, making him stop packing. She caressed his face with the palm of her hands. He grasped her wrists and kissed each palm gently. Miss Parker smiled at him with understanding. “You know where I live. Just don’t stay away too long.”

“I couldn’t if I tried,” Jarod said, “I’ll call you.”

Miss Parker laughed a little, receiving a confused look from Jarod.

“What’s so amusing?” he asked.

“If that came from anyone else, I’d shoot him for giving me a sorry line. But coming from you, I know you’re serious,” she said smiling.

“Of course, I’m serious,” he said.

“I know.”

Miss Parker kissed him sweetly on the lips and they hugged each other tightly.

Jarod pulled away, his face beaming. “New Year’s Eve. I have plans if you’re interested.”

“Just you and me?” Miss Parker asked.

“Just you and me. I’ll let you know where and when.”

“Are you giving me any clues?”

“Nope.” Jarod said playfully.

Miss Parker pouted and Jarod kissed her again. They broke free and headed downstairs where JJ was waiting.

“Goodbye Miss Parker,” JJ said, reaching out to her to hug her. Miss Parker hugged him back eagerly. “Thank you for everything,”

“You’re welcome, JJ. Come see me again soon?”

JJ’s eye’s gleamed and his smile was broad. “You betcha, Miss P.!!”

After hugs and goodbye’s, JJ and Jarod disappeared into the night. Miss Parker couldn’t sleep so she and Angelo cleaned up to erase any evidence of Jarod and JJ being there.

“Daughter sad and happy at the same time.” Angelo noticed. He smiled at that last comment and went to his room after they finished their task. Miss Parker lay on the bed fingering the necklace Jarod gave her and closed her eyes, wishing for only good dreams to come.

TBC