Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in part 2

Author's note: Yep, another small ditty. Somehow I keep reverting back to the no-plot story. Oh well. This is all for fun and for my enjoyment. I just wanted to share that fun and enjoyment with you. As you've noticed, this is a very light story—no angst, just silliness—although, Miss Parker says "damn" a lot. Hope you all don't mind me not being so serious. And I hope you don't mind the characters aren't that serious, either. I certainly don't want to offend anyone by getting away from the characters' personalities.




"PARADISE---ALMOST"

part 5
by Rachel




"There's no need for bloodshed. We've got Jarod." Miss Parker bargained.

Lyle looked at Miss Parker and smiled. "Fine………Sis." Miss Parker clenched her fists and took a long, deep breath, taking every ounce of control she had to not shoot Lyle.

Miss Parker gave Lyle another hate look. "Now put your gun away, Lyle, and tell your goons to do the same. You're scaring the child."

Lyle complied and motioned Drake and Stan to do the same. Miss Parker gave Sarah and the others a relieved look and a nod and motioned for the 6 men to head toward the raft. Without warning, Linda ran, grabbed Miss Parker's gun, stepped away, and pointed the gun toward Miss Parker and the men. "Stop or I'll shoot!" Linda held the gun in front of her shakily. Miss Parker was furious. First of all, nobody, but nobody, touches her gun without her permission. Second of all, this bimbo is going to get somebody killed.

"I am NOT going to be left here on this blasted island without Jarod!" Linda yelled. Lyle shot a glare at Jarod and slowly made his way toward Linda. Linda fumbled the gun and it accidentally fired, hitting the raft. Everyone stared quietly at the raft as it deflated on the sand, its hissing noise casting a spell that left them in a trance.

"I-I'm sorry! It was an accident! I just didn't want to be left here!" Linda began to sob, looking at Jarod, pleading for his comfort. Jarod looked at her sympathetically but didn't make a move. He looked at Miss Parker then looked at Linda again, this time MORE sympathetically. Miss Parker grabbed her gun and gave Linda an angry glare. Linda retreated to join the Captain and the others.

"This cannot be happening to me." Lyle said calmly, but furiously. Miss Parker looked at him and became worried. Lyle can be unpredictable. He is after all a murdering psychopath. But Lyle just took a deep breath, lowered his head, and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"What do we do now, boss? I mean Mr. Lyle?" Stan asked

"I don't know." Lyle said slowly. "You two have been jinxing my plans from the beginning. What do they say about bad influence? Kill them off?" Stan and Drake cowardly ran towards the Captain and the others and stood behind them for protection.

"Take it easy, Lyle." Miss Parker said. "You really should stop relying on half-wits." She said amusedly. Unable to hold in his anger anymore, Lyle takes his gun and fires a shot in the air. "Everyone by the fire! Now!" Lyle pushed passed Miss Parker and headed toward the fire, with the others following. Jarod tried not to chuckle at the situation, but sported a grin that caused Sydney to do the same. Broots just scurried toward the others and said nothing.

"After you, Miss Parker." Jarod offered.

While everyone stood around the fire, with Miss Parker and Lyle on one side, and the others bunched up on the other side, no one dare say anything until Mr. Lyle spoke.

"We still have the ship out there, but I am NOT getting my suit wet."

"Boss?" Drake said meekly, holding his hand up. Lyle acknowledged his presence annoyingly.

"Th-there's another raft on the ship. It's a smaller one." Drake explained.

"I didn't know there would be another raft. I thought it only came with one?" Lyle was confused.

"Well, boss, after what happened with the other boat…" Drake explained. "And the plane" Stan interjected. "Yeah, and the plane, I thought we better have an extra."

"Why don't you morons go get it?" Miss Parker asked.

"We can't. These are brand-new suits and…"

"Okay, okay, bad idea. You'll probably run off and leave us here for good. Where did you find these two anyway, Lyle? And back to my original question that you never answered, what the hell are you doing here?"

"I had some personal business, that got foiled by some bumbling idiots (looking at Drake and Stan with scorn). But through the course of our conversations, they were gloating about leaving some people on the island. Then they started naming names and describing you all. They described you to a "T", Parker."

"Don't tell me. I don't want to know."

"Anyway, I figured, my time was not wasted after all. I take Jarod back, get all the credit, leave you in the dust……sis."

"I've warned you before, Lyle, don't underestimate me."

Turning his attention back to the group, Lyle inquired, "Who is the best swimmer in this sorry bunch?"

"That would be Jarod!" Linda piped up.

"Yeah, I'm really going to let Jarod go out to the boat and expect him to come back."

"There's Miss Parker!" Sarah exclaimed.

Lyle had to think about that one. Why not send both of them? She'll keep him in line and he won't do anything stupid with these people as "hostages."

"Alright," Lyle began, "Jarod and Parker will go and get the raft.

"What?" Parker protested. "I am not going in that water again!"

"Then I guess we'll be stuck here together….for a very long time."

"Fine! Dammit! Here, Sydney, take good care of this." Miss Parker handed Sydney her gun. "Let's go, Lab Rat!"

Jarod and Miss Parker made their way toward the sea, Miss Parker grumbling at every step. "This is ridiculus. I could be in a nice, warm, dry bed by now. And it could have been with you. And I don't know where that damn thought came from. But no. Here I am in a stinking island with Lyle, and you, and a bunch of other losers, and I have to swim to a damn boat in the cold water. And it's because your stupid girlfriend decides she can't be without you. What possessed you to be with her anyway? And she touched my gun! The nerve of that bimbo."

"Will you take it easy on the name-calling? I saved her family from closing down their business and she wanted to repay me by treating me to a tour of the islands."

"And you fell for that? You are such a sap. She's practically attached herself to you."

"I liked the attention. Besides, you always had that "damn" gun at my face. I never got a chance to let you know how I feel about you."

"Yeah, well, get over it."

"You're a hard woman to get over, Miss Parker."

Just before she got to the water, Miss Parker took off the socks she was wearing and threw them on the sand.

"So? You'd do anything to be alone with me, huh?"Jarod joked.

"Keep dreaming, Wonder-boy. And try to keep up." They walked until the water was to their waist and then they began the grueling swim to the boat.

****

Jarod and Miss Parker fought the waves and finally reached the boat. Miss Parker reached the steel ladder first and hesitated to climb up. Her arms were tired from the swim and they gave her trouble in getting a firm grip. Jarod came up behind her, grabbed the sides of the ladder, and pressed gently against her back to support her. Pleasantly surprised, Jarod felt her lean into his chest and rest her head on his. Jarod moved his head a little and their cheeks touched. Jarod moved his head a little more and his lips caressed her cheek as he spoke.

"Are you alright?" She nodded and proceeded up the stairs. Jarod followed up closely to make sure she makes it.

They got in the boat and Jarod couldn't keep his eyes off of Miss Parker. She was beautiful. Strong and beautiful. He shook his head to clear it and joined her in searching for the raft. When he wasn't looking, Miss Parker marveled at the sight of Jarod. He was a beautiful sight. Strong and beautiful.

"Enough, Parker!" she scolded herself.

They went down below and found it furnished lavishly with food and champagne.

"One thing about Lyle, he travels in style." Miss Parker mused.

"Might as well help ourselves." And she began digging into the food and opened a bottle of bubbly. "Want some?" She offered, holding out a piece of hors d'ouvre to Jarod. Jarod smiled and took the food by his mouth, sucking Miss Parker's fingers lightly. They gazed into each other's eyes and seemed to become lost in them. Their bodies began to tense up and chills ran up and down their spine. They began to gravitate toward each other involuntarily—like there was some unknown force that was controlling their every move. But then the sudden brutal slap of reality hit them at the same time and they stepped back from each other. "Not a good time, not a good place." They both muttered together. "Whew, that was close." Miss Parker said relieved, yet still aching. Jarod just stared at her grinning.

"What? Lab rat?" She tried to sound rude but couldn't suppress the smile that invaded her face.

Jarod shook his head and headed back up on deck. Miss Parker rummaged through Lyle's things and found a shirt and a pair of shorts to change into. "I hope they remember to bring my jacket back. Gotta love pull strings on shorts. Not exactly my size, but at least it's dry." She examined herself in the mirror and grimaced. "I look like crap!" Then she joined Jarod up on deck.

"It's a six-man raft." Jarod informed her.

"Good, you take the raft back on shore and pick up the clowns. I'll stay here and radio the coast guard. We should be long gone before they get here to pick up the others. If it's up to Lyle, he would leave them on that island to rot. I'm not giving him that chance."

"Wow, the Ice Queen actually has a heart." Jarod gave her a quick kiss on the lips and headed toward the side of the boat with the raft. He held on to the rope and slung the raft overboard. With a quick salute and a smile, he disappeared down the side of the boat.

Miss Parker leaned over to the side to see Jarod off. "Keep the guns away from your bimbo girlfriend!" she yelled after him.