Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: I don't own the characters of Jarod, Miss Parker, Sydney, and Broots--besides, it could never really happen this way on the show cause there are no "shippers" amongst the Powers that be. Please don't sue me. Thank you.



"PARADISE---ALMOST"

part 2
by Rachel




Jarod got up first and began to check on everyone. He started with the elderly couple who sat breathless, but okay.Broots and Tom (the other guy with the Hawaiian shirt) hovered over Linda to see if she was fine. When Linda didn't move or open her eyes, the two got nervous and ran to Jarod.

"Jarod! Linda won't wake up!" The rest of the gang started towards Linda to see.

"Did you check for a pulse?" Jarod asked.

"No. Maybe she needs mouth to mouth or something. You better go over there right away, Jarod." Tom said panicly.

"Mouth to mouth, my ass." Miss Parker sneered. Then she pushed past
Jarod and grabbed Tom and Broots by the shirt.

"Geek number one and geek number two, YOU will give her mouth to mouth
if she needs it," Miss Parker ordered and shoved them towards the woman
lying on the sand.

Just before Broots and Tom could kneel beside her, Linda sat up quickly and combed her hair back with her fingers. "I'm fine. I'm fine." Then she walked over the Jarod and took his arm. "But I am feeling a little faint," Linda said in her most distressed voice, leaning her head on his arm.

Being the gentleman that he is, Jarod took her by the waist and sat her back down on the sand and summoned everyone else to join them.

"I know that we're all wet and tired." Jarod began.

"And hungry!" Broots piped up.

"And hungry. So let's divide up and get some things."

"There's got to be something to eat around here. I'll go find something." Miss Parker offered. "Might find better scenery," she muttered, eyeing Linda try to snuggle close to Jarod.

"Then Sarah and what is your name again? (pointing to the married guy)."

"Bill, this is my wife Tara, and this is Jennie."

"Bill, will go with Parker."

"Broots, You, Tom and I will go into the woods to see if we can find some dry wood."

"Mr and Mrs Maddux (pointing to the elderly couple), Sydney, and Captain—see what you can do for shelter—if we have to spend the night, we should be prepared for bad weather. Tara and Linda, take care of Jennie and scout along the beach for dry wood or anything else useful."



Then one of the two men with the captain spoke up. "Stan and I will search for a possible way to get off this island. We'll try and find some help. Maybe this island is connected to the mainland."

"That would take a long time, are you sure you're not too tired to explore the island? I mean, if we're not rescued by morning, I wouldn't mind going with you. I came to the islands to discover ist beauty." Tom suggested.

"No, no," Stan said hastily. "Drake and I should go NOW. The sooner we go, the sooner we might find help."

Jarod eyed them suspiciously but said nothing.

"I'm just glad Jarod is here with us." Linda commented, touching his arm. "He's so strong, and smart, and everything. I would be so scared if he wasn't here to protect us, in case, you know, some savage natives came, or something."

Miss Parker looked away, along with Sarah and Sydney, and tried to suppress a laugh. She turned back around and gave a fearful look.

"You know what would even be scarier?" Miss Parker asked in mock fear.

"It would be totally horrible if we ran into Gilligan!"

Everyone burst out laughing, except for Jarod and Linda, and when the laughter died down, Jarod asked, "What's a Gilligan?" which received another burst of laughter. Linda just sat there and glared at Miss Parker who smirked at her in return. Jarod noticed the exchange of looks between the two women and just shook his head.

The group split up and went on to their given task.

It wasn't too far in when Miss Parker, Bill, and Sarah heard the rumbling of water and followed it to discover clean, fresh water.

"Look, Miss Parker!" Sarah exclaimed. "I see water!" The three ran as fast as they could, with Miss Parker wincing at every step.

"Hey, look," noticed Bill "there's a bunch of fruits around here. But how do we know which are edible?"

"Our resident Boy Scout will know." Miss Parker informed them. "Let's just get some out. Question is, how do we do that?"

"Miss Parker, your jacket."

"What? No, no, not my favorite silk jacket." Bill and Sarah just looked at her pleadingly without saying a word.

"Damn! Fine!" And Miss Parker removed her jacket and threw it at them.

"Hey, Miss P., if you still had your leather thigh-high boots, we could have used them to bring water back to the others." Sarah said jokingly.

"Yeah, if I still had them on, I'd be swimming with the fishes." Miss Parker grumbled. "I wish I had some on right now. My feet are killing me."

While Sarah and Bill gathered the fruits, Miss Parker took her gun out, sat by the stream, and began to clean the salt water out of it. Sarah and Bill noticed it and froze in fear.

"M-Miss Parker," Sarah said nervously, "w-what are you doing with that?"

"I'm cleaning it." Miss Parker answered without looking up.

"I mean, why do you have a gun?"

"To protect us from the savages, of course." Miss Parker said sarcastically. After rinsing it, she put it together, cocked it, aimed it at something, and fired.

"Still works like a charm." She smiled victoriously and placed the gun back in the holster behind her back.

Nearby, everyone else who heard it looked up toward the sound of the gunfire and gave each other confused looks. Jarod's heart skipped a beat and a thousand thoughts flooded his mind. He dropped his pile of wood and told Broots and Tom to go back to the beach. Then he headed toward the sound. "Who would have a gun?" he thought. "Parker." "What the hell is she doing? What if she's hurt?

What did she shoot? WHO did she shoot? Why did she shoot? What if that wasn't her? "

Jarod ran through the woods as fast as he could and when he came to where Miss Parker, Sarah, and Bill were, he just found them picking fruits.

"Hey, Jarod!" Bill called out. "Come here and see which of these fruits we should eat."

Jarod approached them and looked around nervously.

"What's up, genius? You look spooked." Miss Parker noticed.

"Didn't you hear the gunshot?"

"That was me. I was making sure it still worked."

"What are you doing firing a gun?" Jarod asked angrily.

"It's my gun and I can do whatever I want," Miss Parker bit back.

Then Jarod noticed Bill and Sarah staring at him and Miss Parker and went over to check on the fruits that lay inside Miss Parker's jacket.

"Don't pick these star-shaped ones, they're very bitter. But the rest are good."

"Great!" Sarah exclaimed. "Bill and I will just go back to the others with these." And they scurried off without looking back at the two.

Jarod turned around and found Miss Parker leaning on a tree, with her arms crossed in front of her, and glaring at him. So he just glared right back.

"Why didn't you tell me you still had your gun?" Jarod asked trying to keep calm.

"Why would I need to tell you?"

"Because, you just needed to."

"Oh, so you can be prepared to escape me again?"

"Parker, you infuriate me!"

"You're not exactly my source of kicks and giggles."

"Don't be such a child."

"Don't be so bossy."

"Parker, don't move." Jarod said lowly.

"There you are, bossing people around again. If I want to move, I will!"

"I said, don't move! Unless, you want that snake to wrap itself around your neck and bite." Jarod very slowly bent down, without taking his eyes off the snake, and picked up a stick.

"Hurry up and do something, Jarod!" Miss Parker said through gritted teeth.

Jarod lured the snake on to the stick and hurled it across the stream.

"Was it poisonous?" Miss Parker asked.

"No--just a green, ordinary snake." Jarod said lightly.

"Then why did you have to be so melodramatic about it? What? You wanted me to bat my eyes, flaunt my breasts, throw myself at you in gratitude?!"

Jarod gave her a confused look. Somehow he couldn't picture Miss Parker acting that way. Then it dawned on him she was referring to Linda, and couldn't help but grin at Parker's jealous outburst. He didn't realize he was grinning until he saw the shocked and furious expression on her face.

"You arrogant, son of a b….."

"Oh come on, Parker, can't you just say Thank You?"

After a moment of silence, after debating whether to just give in and say thank you or smack him in the face, Miss Parker finally decided on the first choice.

"Thank you." Miss Parker said flatly.

"No, I mean this kind of thank you." Jarod grabbed both her arms and pinned them to her side and he kissed her hard on the mouth. For amoment she resisted, but finally gave in to him when he softened the kiss. They kissed passionately, Miss Parker freeing her hands from Jarod's grasp, unbuttoning his shirt, and probing his masculine chest and shoulders with her hands.

*****

BACK ON THE BEACH

"Where's Miss Parker?" Sydney asked Sarah and Bill as they approached.

"She's back in there with Jarod."

"Is she alright? We heard a gun shot."

"She's alright. It's Jarod I'm worried about."

"What about Jarod? Is he in danger?" Linda asked concerned.

"He'll be fine. If anyone can handle Parker, it's Jarod," Sydney said with a smile.

****

When Jarod and Miss Parker finally broke off the kiss, they were both breathing hard and their hearts were racing. They looked into each other's eyes and Jarod saw confusion and anger in Miss Parker's gaze.

"This never happened, Jarod. You understand me? This never happened."

Miss Parker pushed away from him and turned from him before he saw the tears that threatened to fall. She took a deep breath and composed herself before walking away, caressing her lips that still burned with the passion of the kiss.

Jarod didn't make an attempt to stop her. His sadness turned to concern when he saw her limp off. He took his socks and shirt off and rinsed them in the stream, not squeezing the water off his shirt as he carried them back to the beach.