Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The Characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots and The Center are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and are used without permission. If I owed them we'd still be watching new episodes.



One Good Turn Part 12



Sharing

By Phenyx


-

Sam shrugged helplessly. The pleading look that Broots shot at him across the table was as close to pitiful as Sam could imagine. But the stocky sweeper wasn't about to butt in here. Broots had to deal with this on his own.

"Better him than me." Sam thought to himself.

Broots sat cringing in a chair at the kitchen table. His lap top computer was open in front of him. Hunched miserably in his seat, Broots stared sightlessly at the keyboard with his hands clasped nervously in his lap.

Miss Parker was yelling at him again.

"Of all the lame-brained ideas you've ever had, Broots," she hollered. "This one really takes the cake."

Sam truly felt sorry for the poor bastard. Broots seemed to wind up on the receiving end of Miss Parker's wrath more often than anyone else, except Jarod of course.

In the past week Sam had seen Parker rip into the pretender harder than a starving dog into a bone. Sam got the distinct impression that his employer was putting her former prey through some kind of hazing ritual. And the rest of them were getting caught in the fringes of the test. It was almost as though she was punishing Jarod in a way. Perhaps this was Miss Parker's way of retaliating for the nasty argument the two of them had on the night that Sam had arrived.

Sam had been wary of the pretender ever since his arrival. Jarod was potentially a dangerous man. Sam knew that from the years he had spent pursuing him. When Jarod had threatened to break Miss Parker's arm, Sam had been seriously tempted to shoot him, regardless of anything Jarod had done to help them recently.

But now, a week later, Sam understood the situation more clearly. Miss Parker was being extremely difficult to live with. Everyone's patience was wearing thin. And Jarod had been stuck with this for months.

Sam suppressed his discomfort and calmly did as he was told. As the days slowly passed, each of them was given duties to perform. Each member of the little group had a part to play in the upcoming demise of The Centre. Until they were successful, none of them would be safe. They were all irrevocably bound together in this strange little adventure.

"What made you think that this would work?" Miss Parker growled furiously.

Broots looked up warily and stuttered, "But- But, Jarod s-said,"

Miss Parker slapped the palms of her hands against the tabletop. "Since when does Monkey-boy give the orders around here?" she hissed.

Sam felt another wave of empathy for the computer tech as the balding man flinched at Miss Parker's words.

"What have I done now?" a soft voice asked.

Sam looked up and saw Jarod standing in the doorway that led into the kitchen. Glancing over at Broots, Sam saw the look of relief that flooded over the technician's face.

Miss Parker turned on Jarod immediately. "Broots is posting information about The Centre on some odd-ball UFO web site." She grumbled. "No one will take anything seriously if they read it there."

Jarod glanced at Broots for confirmation of the current events.

Broots shrugged. "I placed the information we discussed last night onto a Lone Gunman page."

Jarod nodded. "A conspiracy theory message board."

"One of the more heavily visited sites." Broots nodded. "By Saturday night, our tale about a secret research facility that experiments with children will have branched out into dozens of other conspiracy pages and no one will be able to trace its origin."

Jarod looked questioningly at Miss Parker. "So what's the problem?"

Miss Parker's eyes rolled expressively and she made a disgusted face. "Do you think anyone will take this seriously if they read it beside the posting about Elvis's two-headed alien baby?"

Jarod seemed puzzled. "If Elvis died decades ago, how could his offspring still be an infant?" He asked innocently.

Sam nearly burst out laughing. But it was Broots who answered.

"There are people who believe that Elvis is still alive." The balding tech replied. "It's one of the more frequently reoccurring rumors floating around. That and the theory that there are alien space craft hidden in Area 51."

"Ah." Jarod exclaimed, nodding. "Roswell, New Mexico." He said. "I drove through there once. But I didn't see any aliens."

"Are you sure?" Broots asked. "Aliens can masquerade as regular people so it's hard to tell."

"The two of you masquerade as regular people." Miss Parker growled furiously. "Morons."

"Parker," Jarod sighed wearily. "Broots did exactly as I asked him to do. That web site is as good as any other."

"Great." Miss Parker taunted him. "My life is in the hands of a bunch of UFO geeks." She slapped the technician on the shoulder hard enough to make him flinch. "I'm sure you are feeling quite secure in this arena Broots."

Jarod frowned. "Leave him alone Parker." He said gently.

Sam saw the rage flare in Miss Parker's eyes. She stalked across the few yards separating them and stood toe to toe with the pretender. Poking him rudely in the chest to punctuate each word she said menacingly. "You don't give the orders around here."

"Neither do you, Parker." Jarod said calmly. "We're not at The Centre anymore."

"Someone has to be in charge of this insanity." Parker growled.

"Why?" Jarod shrugged. "We are all mature and intelligent adults here."

Parker cocked an eyebrow at Jarod meaningfully. "Mature?" She smirked.

Jarod grinned boyishly. "Okay, most of us are reasonably mature. The rest are just intelligent."

Even from his position across the room, Sam could see the smile that Miss Parker attempted to hide.

"My point is," Jarod continued. "Try to relax. Let Broots do what he has to do." Parker sighed as Jarod went on. "You don't need to prove a thing." Jarod said gently. "Not to us."

"I'm not out to prove anything, Jarod." Parker huffed.

Jarod tilted his head and gazed at Parker sadly. "Yes you are." He said. "Parker, what's happening between us in bed doesn't make you weak. There is no need to show us how tough you are."

Sam blinked. For a moment, he wasn't sure that he had heard Jarod correctly. With a quick glance at Broots, Sam saw a similarly stunned look on the technician's face.

"Parker." Jarod sighed heavily. "I know this is difficult for you. Hell it's hard for all of us." Jarod stepped closer to Miss Parker and placed a gentle hand on her arm. "The interaction between each of us is changing dramatically. Our roles in each other's lives are altering in ways we may never have imagined."

Jarod gestured toward Broots as he spoke. "Broots isn't your lackey anymore. He's your equal, your comrade. In some instances, his knowledge and experience will make us all his subordinates."

Broots flashed a proud grin and sat up confidently in his chair.

"When pigs fly." Miss Parker growled, deflating poor Broots' short-lived courage.

"Parker," Jarod sighed and rolled his eyes. "Debating this subject with you isn't going to make any difference. Is it?"

Miss Parker crossed her arms stubbornly and replied. "I doubt it."

Jarod shook his head and sighed melodramatically. "I'll just have to move on to Plan B."

With a frown Miss Parker asked, "What is Plan B?"

Jarod shrugged. "I strip you naked and lock you in a room until you promise to behave yourself." He said nonchalantly.

"How is that supposed to do any good?" She asked in shock.

"Who knows?" Jarod replied. "But it will be far more entertaining than the current abuse you've been dishing out."

"Do you want me to hurt you?" Parker hissed.

A slow grin broke out on Jarod's face. "If I said 'yes', would you still respect me in the morning?"

"Jarod." Miss Parker said warningly.

Sam watched in amused wonder as Jarod tenderly brushed his fingertips across Miss Parker's cheek.

"You are not the boss anymore." Jarod said deliberately. "We don't HAVE to listen to you. But we choose to do so out of loyalty." Jarod grasped Miss Parker's chin between his fingers and tilted her face so he could look into her eyes. "Out of friendship."

"This is who I am, Jarod." Miss Parker whispered.

Jarod chuckled softly, wrapping her in a warm embrace. "No." He said with a sigh. "This is The Centre's Miss Parker."

"I am The Centre's Miss Parker." She replied sadly.

"Then who was that girl laughing at my terrible jokes last night?" Jarod purred affectionately into her ear.

Sam and Broots exchanged a look of surprise as Jarod began blatantly nibbling on the curve of Miss Parker's throat.

"I was only being polite." She claimed haughtily.

As the pretender kissed the curve of her jaw line, he said, "You were giggling."

"I never giggle." Miss Parker sighed.

"Liar." Jarod purred.

Miss Parker's arms weaved their way up Jarod's biceps to wrap around his neck. "I never giggle." She repeated sternly.

Jarod's right hand was pressed against the small of Miss Parker's back, holding her firmly against him. His left hand slid down her spine and over her derriere as he spoke. "You giggle every time I touch you right there." Jarod's hand had made its way to the hemline of Miss Parker's very short skirt and snaked around her thigh.

With a gasp, Miss Parker pulled away slightly. "Jarod!" She cried softly.

"What?" He growled against her hair.

Miss Parker placed her palms against Jarod's chest and shoved him back slightly. She glanced warily at the two men watching the tawdry display and flushed with embarrassment.

"Jarod," she said firmly. "I think you are making our friends uncomfortable."

Jarod blinked for a moment. Then slowly and with a heave of regret, he disentangled himself and stepped back. A huge smile broke out across the pretender's face and he grinned triumphantly at Sam.

With a wink, Jarod said to Broots, "Let me get my laptop, Broots. We still have a lot of work to do."

A moment later the pretender was gone, headed for the other room to fetch his computer.

Miss Parker glared at the two men remaining. Broots and Sam just grinned knowingly at each other.

"Get those smirks off your faces or I'll knock them off." Miss Parker growled.

Broots laughed.

"Excuse me?" Miss Parker hissed.

"Sorry," the tech answered, still grinning. "It's just - "

"What?" She snarled through clenched teeth.

"You called us your friends." Broots said with a smile.

"Oh, grow up." Parker snapped. As she huffed out of the room, she nearly slammed into Jarod as he returned.

There was silence for a moment as the three men watched Miss Parker storm away. Jarod walked to the table, set his computer down and swung his leg over the nearest chair, sitting down with a thump. Following the pretender's example, Sam sat in a chair opposite him.

As Jarod opened his laptop and turned it on, he glanced quickly at the other two men. Broots and Sam were both staring at him expectantly.

"What?" Jarod asked innocently.

Sam spoke calmly, in a matter-of-fact tone. "Jarod." He said, calling the pretender by name for the first time since arriving a week ago. "If you hurt her, I will kill you." Sam paused. "Slowly." He added.

In an equally straightforward manner, Jarod replied. "Understood. I would expect no less."

As Jarod set up his equipment and booted up the computer, Broots and Sam exchanged a wary look. Jarod caught the questioning glances they shot across the table.

"What?" Jarod asked again in exasperation.

Broots rolled his eyes and sighed. "Come on, Jarod!" The technician hissed. "Details, man. Details!"

The pretender frowned playfully as he tried to hide a grin. "I doubt Parker would appreciate us gossiping about her sex life, gentlemen."

A slow smile spread across Sam's face and he leaned toward the pretender meaningfully. "Is she everything you imagined she would be?"

"More." Jarod smiled. Then, with a quick huff, the pretender turned his attention to the screen in front of him and abruptly changed the subject. "Any luck with the new search, Broots?"

The tech shrugged and readjusted the monitor of his own computer. "I've found something that may fit the bill." He said. "Mr. Lyle has been doing some preliminary business with a man named Richard Leland."

Jarod's eyebrows shot up with amusement. "Not Richard Leland of Chicago?"

Broots nodded. "The same."

Jarod whistled appreciatively.

Sam sighed in frustration. "Could somebody share a clue with the non-genius present?"

Chuckling wryly, Jarod explained. "Leland runs a large percentage of the Chicago underworld. Drugs, prostitution, illegal gambling. Stuff like that."

"Fun guy." Sam mumbled.

"Yep." Jarod grinned eagerly. "Just what we've been looking for. Now we just wait for Lyle to set up some serious business with Leland."

Sam frowned. "This character sounds dangerous. It could be a problem if he comes after us."

"Spoken like a good bodyguard." Jarod said. Shaking his head Jarod said, "Leland will never even know that we exist. Lyle will be the only culprit he sees."

"So what's your plan for Mr. Leland?" Sam asked curiously.

Jarod spent the next hour detailing his ideas. He shared the results of the various simulations he'd done. The three men did some brainstorming on possible variables that arose now that they knew their intended victim was a powerful crime figure.

By the time the sunlight had begun to fade from the room, they had this phase of their battle plan complete. All that was left to do was wait for Lyle to step into the trap.

--

Jarod strolled across the dark yard. Sounds of a summer evening filled with crickets surrounded him. There was a storm coming, making the air about him heavy with humidity. Crossing the twin ruts in the yard that served as a driveway, Jarod shuffled through the long grass toward an old wooden picnic table. The table stood at the foot of a huge maple tree. The branches leaned low to the ground so that Jarod had to duck under them at one point. During the day, this shady spot was cool and inviting. At night it was a dark and ominous alcove of shadow.

Stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jeans, Jarod casually stepped onto the wooden bench and sat down on the top of the table. For a moment he sat in silence, listening to the insects and watching the twinkling glow of lightning bugs. Miss Parker, sitting on the bench beside him, tried to ignore his presence.

Finally Jarod spoke. "Lyle is working on a deal with Richard Leland in Chicago. There's going to be an exchange of some kind in a few days."

Parker stared at the dark leaves above her head in silence.

"Once we've shared the details with the authorities, you will need to call Lyle and warn him." Jarod said calmly.

Parker mulled over his words for a moment then sighed. "When Lyle doesn't show up for the meeting and the police arrive, Leland will think that Lyle tipped them off."

"Uh-uh." Jarod agreed.

"If word gets around that Lyle is a snitch, no one will want to do business with him." Parker said.

"Or with The Centre." Jarod added.

Parker gave Jarod a wry grimace. "You have an insidious mind, do you know that?"

Jarod shrugged. "I learned from the best."

The two sat silently for several minutes. Jarod sat with his hands in his pockets while Parker perched beside him with her arms crossed defensively over her chest.

"Are you angry with me?" Jarod asked after a time.

"Furious." Parker said in a deceptively calm voice. "You shouldn't have told them about us."

"Why not?" the pretender asked curiously.

"It's none of their damned business. That's why." She hissed.

Jarod tilted his head to one side and gazed at Parker's profile. "How long were you going to keep it a secret?"

"I don't know." Parker sighed. "Forever maybe."

"Does it embarrass you?" Jarod asked half jokingly. "Is it unseemly to be boffing the lab rat?"

Parker's sudden silence was deafening. Her unspoken agreement to Jarod's words hit him like physical blow and he gasped softly.

Pain etched across his features as Jarod gazed down at Parker. "I have feelings you know." He whispered. "Why do you insist upon trying to hurt them? What have I ever done to you?"

Parker stood abruptly and took a step away, her arms still wrapped protectively in front of her. "Every tragic and painful thing that has ever happened in my life has been because of you, Jarod. My mother was murdered for trying to rescue you. Tommy was shot to keep me focused on bringing you back. Even my father died because you found those stupid scrolls for him."

"I only want you to be happy, Parker." Jarod murmured.

Turning to face Jarod for the first time since he'd sat beside her, Parker glared defiantly at him. "Whenever I allow myself to feel that way, something horrible happens. Someone dies." She sighed heavily. "Pawns like us can never find happiness, Jarod. Fate won't allow it."

Silence stretched between them again. Jarod shook his head and finally said softly, "It won't work, Parker."

"You should go." She said sternly.

"It won't work, Parker." Jarod repeated more firmly. "I won't let you chase me away."

"Jarod," she began.

"No." Jarod said tenderly. He stood and pulled her into a warm embrace. "What we have together has the potential to be something wonderful. I will not allow you to give up on it. Say every nasty thing you can think of, Parker. I won't fall for it anymore."

Jarod leaned toward her and kissed Parker until she wilted against him. Burying his face in her hair, Jarod whispered, "You can't run away from this. I forbid it."

Clasping a fistful of his shirt in her hands, Parker leaned her forehead against Jarod's chest and shook her head sadly. "There's no such thing as happily ever after, Jarod." She said forlornly.

He kissed her again, more passionately this time. "But there is, Parker. I know it." He murmured into her ear.

Breathing heavily now, Parker breathed, "How can you be sure?"

Snaking his hand under Parker's blouse Jarod ran his fingertips along the bare skin of her spine. He pulled her closer, maneuvering one leg between her thighs causing the satin of her skirt to ride up. When Parker breathed a low sigh of desire, Jarod laughed softly with triumph.

"There is a happily ever after." Jarod murmured huskily as he began to undo her buttons. "We find it every time we make love, Parker." He suckled at the smooth hollow of her throat until she gasped. "Let me show you." He growled against her skin.

He was already pulling her down onto the grass as she nodded her consent.

Sometime later, they lay curled together in the dark. Parker rested against Jarod's bare chest listening to the rhythmic beat of his heart. A soft pattering of sound came from above as raindrops drizzled against the dense leaves. Sheltered from the rain by the ages-old maple and protected from the chilly air by the warmth of her lover's body, Parker sighed in contentment.

"You were right." She whispered tremulously.

Jarod brushed a tender kiss across the top of her head. "About what?" he murmured.

Parker looked up at him with bright eyes, "This is happiness."

Jarod grinned back at her through the dark.

"Why can't we make it last?" She asked sadly.

The pretender pulled her into a tight hug. "We can, Parker." He sighed. "It's just difficult right now. It's hard to trust in something that has been so rare and fleeting in our lives. But our belief in it will grow stronger. With each day that passes safely, our confidence in what we've found will grow."

"Do you think this will ever get easier, Jarod?" Parker whispered. "Will we ever stop being afraid of what life may bring?"

"I hope so, love." Jarod said softly. "I really hope so."