Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

-
Samantha sighed as she reached for the uniform, but Jarod snatched it away from her. “Jarod, what are you doing?”

“On second thought,” he said, “you won’t be needing that.”

Samantha narrowed her eyes. “Why not?”

Jarod grinned. “Because you’re already dressed for your role in this little play.”

“Okay, Jarod, what are you smoking?” Samantha asked as she tried climbing out of bed, ready to throttle her friend.

“Samantha, get back into bed,” Jarod said, frowning a bit, stuffing the spare EMS uniform back into the icebox.

“Why?” Samantha asked, crossing your arm.

“Because you’re supposed to be acting like you’re sedated,” Jarod replied. “I arranged to have Careflite take you to Ft. Worth Baylor. From there, we’ll be going to Lubbock.”

“Why?” Samantha asked again.

“Because you have a rare condition that your personal physician is familiar with,” Jarod replied. “And he’s prepping for your surgery, which is going to be in Lubbock. Now back into bed.”

“No,” Samantha said bluntly. She didn’t even wonder about how he was going to pull off all that. All she heard was that she was the guinea pig - again.

“Excuse me?” Jarod asked.

“You heard me, mister,” Samantha answered. “You want to do this so badly, you be sedated.”

“Not happening,” Jarod said.

“I have already been poked, prodded, and tested,” Samantha replied. “If you think I’m going to be going through that again, you’re crazy.” Jarod held up a small syringe. “And what is that, pray tell?”

“Demerol,” Jarod said. “Now, you can show me those wonderful pretender skills of yours, or we can do this the hard way.”

Samantha narrowed her eyes. “You wouldn’t dare.”

Jarod raised an eyebrow as he walked over. He leaned over, getting in her face. “Don’t be so sure,” he said, his voice low with edge.

Samantha wasn’t deterred by the danger in his eyes. She was pd, and she wasn’t backing down. “You can wave that thing around all you want - you won't do it.”

Jarod held her gaze - then he deftly reached out, grabbed Samantha’s left arm, and stuck the needle in it. She yelped only briefly as he injected her with the Demerol. He quickly removed the needle and watched as Samantha opened her mouth to lambast him - and her eyes rolled up and she went limp, her legs giving out from under her.

Jarod quickly caught her under her arms before she hit the floor and picked her up, carrying her back to her bed. He gently lay her down and covered her with the sheets, just as a nurse came in. She was looking at a clipboard, then she looked up.

“Oh, I see you’re already here,” the nurse said.

Jarod nodded. “Yes, ma’am,” he replied. “I’m ready to transport the patient now, if everything’s in order.”

The nurse glanced at the sedated young woman. “And she’s been sedated already, I see.” She checked Linda’s vitals and nodded when they registered normally. “Well, vitals are normal.” She looked at Jarod. “Do you have the forms for her release?”

Jarod held up a small file folder and opened it, pulling out the sheets he had duplicated and forged earlier. He handed them to the nurse. “Here they are,” he said.

The nurse read the papers and nodded, handing them back. “Everything seems in order. Do you need any assistance transporting the patient to the roof?”

“No, thank you,” Jarod replied. He nodded politely and went to Samantha’s bed; the nurse attached the breathing apparatus to the young girl’s bed and released the brakes on the bed. Jarod pushed the bed from the room and down the corridor to the elevators. He didn’t say anything until they were alone on the elevator and heading up to the roof.

“Sam, you okay?” Jarod asked, his voice soft.

“Little Bunny Foo Foo,” Samantha sang softly in a drugged voice, “hoppin’ through the forest, scoopin’ up the field mice, and boppin' 'em on the head.”

“Really?” Jarod asked, raising an eyebrow, partially curious and partially amused. He wished he had his camcorder with him, but he knew he wouldn’t be forgetting what Samantha was doing any time soon – and he’d do everything in his power to make sure she never lived it down. He smirked as they got to the top of the building and the doors opened onto the roof.

The whirring of the helicopter’s sound was deafening as Jarod pushed the gurney and its precious cargo along the path to the waiting chopper. A male RN was waiting near the open side door of the chopper. He watched as Jarod pushed the gurney over to the helicopter and carefully helped load the gurney. When Samantha and the gurney were secure the RN and Jarod got in, taking their places and closing the side door, locking it. The pilot, already at the controls, lifted the helicopter into the air, heading off towards Ft. Worth Baylor.

Jarod sat near Samantha’s gurney, watching the young girl intently. He knew she was fine, but he still couldn’t help worry about her, especially when she was completely defenseless. He felt a little bad about drugging her, and he would apologize to her for that later, but she had played him – and he didn’t like being played, especially by his partner and friend. He stared at his semi-conscious friend as the chopper flew through the sky.

-

Angelo swayed softly as he sat on the floor in his room. He tried to stay awake, but he was so sleepy; he couldn’t even move his limbs. He knew he hadn’t been drugged; he was angry and scared. “It’s . . . okay . . . Sam,” he said softly, his head rolling from side to side. “Little . . . Bunny . . . Foo . . . Foo . . . .”

-

Samantha slowly became aware of her surroundings, and she found herself looking into Jarod’s face as he stared down at her. He smiled when he saw her coming to.

“Rise and shine,” Jaord said.

“Where am I?” Samantha asked.

“University Medical Center, Lubbock,” Jarod replied. “Private room.” He held up Samantha’s clothes. “I don’t normally do this, but you need to get dressed - now. We need to get out of here before a doctor shows up.”

Samantha slowly sat up. “Okay, fine. I’ll be out in a minute.”

“Actually, I’ll stay in here,” Jarod replied, turning his back to his young friend. He waited, rocking on his feet, as he heard Samantha shuffle around.

“Okay,” Samantha said after a few minutes. “I’m dressed.”

Jarod smiled and turned around – and was instantly met with a fist to the face. He stumbled back and fell to the floor, clutching his jaw. He looked over and saw Samantha glaring at him. “What did you do that for?” he asked, frowning.

“Gee, I don’t know,” Sam replied sarcastically. “Maybe because you drugged me!”

Jarod rubbed his jaw as he slowly got up. “You were being difficult.”

“Jarod, do you remember the last time I was drugged?” Samantha asked, her voice rising with every word. “I was nearly raped! And the time before that – Lyle kidnapped me! Remember! Did those two times slip your mind, or are you really that insensitive, you son of a bh!”

“Sam, I’m sorry,” Jarod replied. “I honestly didn’t mean -”

“Don’t ‘Sam’ me!” Samantha shouted. She grabbed the nearest thing off the bedside table, a cup, and hurtled it at him. Jarod ducked, barely missed getting hit in the head, holding his hands up as he shielded his face and head. He slowly walked toward Samantha. Samantha grabbed the remote control off the table and threw it at Jarod; Jarod winced as the remote hit his wrists. “You don’t get to ‘Sam’ me anymore!” She picked up the phone, but Jarod managed to grab her wrists, holding tight. She struggled. “Let me go, Jarod.” She kicked his shin, and Jarod shouted in pain, then he threw Samantha onto her back on the bed, pinning her.

“Knock it off,” Jarod growled. Samantha tried to knee him in the groin, but he pinned her legs with his. “I understand you’re upset, Samantha, but don’t push me.”

“How could you do that to me?” Samantha snapped as she squirmed. “I thought I could trust you.”

“It was an honest mistake,” Jarod replied, holding tight as his young friend struggled. “You can trust me.”

“Yeah right,” Samantha said; the anger in her voice was gone, replaced by extreme hurt and betrayal; tears filled her eyes. She suddenly stopped struggling. “Jarod, do you know how scared I was? I didn’t know what was going on, and I kept hearing some guy saying he was taking me to the ‘Centre’ . . . I thought that was it.” She tried not to cry, but she couldn’t help it.

Jarod felt horrible as he let go of Samantha’s wrists and got off her. He carefully pulled Samantha to him, hugging her; the young girl slowly wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly. “I’m not going to let them get you, Sam,” he whispered. “I would rather die first.”

Samantha clung tightly to Jarod, her eyes closed. She knew Jarod meant what he said, and that he was truly sorry for what he did to her. She couldn’t be upset with him anymore . . . but it didn’t mean she wouldn’t make him suffer a little bit. She sniffled and hiccupped a little for added measure. “Now what?” she asked softly.

“Well, you feel up for a little road trip?” Jarod asked softly. “We still need to go to Tulia.” Samantha smiled a little, nodding. Jarod smiled and tucked her protectively under his arm. “Come on, sweetie.” He grabbed their things, and the two headed out of the room. Jarod made a mental note to stop off at the gift shop before they left; he wanted to get a peace offering for Samantha.

(End of Chapter 8)