Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters. They belong to NBC, Pretender Productions, and others. I’m just borrowing them for my Pretender fanfic story. No money has crossed hands. This story is purely for the entertainment of myself and others, who miss the Pretender, because of all the blasted preemptions! Please don’t sue me – I have no money. 1-24-00



In Pursiut Of Happiness
Part 6
by jojarod50






Sydney was totally exhausted mentally and physically. Everything had run smoothly getting Jarod situated in the mental hospital. There hadn’t been any sign the past three weeks, that anyone unwanted had a clue where they were. Jarod’s injuries were healing nicely and he no longer had any sign of infection or of the intense fever that had been of such great concern earlier. Yet, Jarod remained clinically depressed and in a state of total unresponsiveness.

Day after day, Sydney had tried to get through to Jarod, but he just lay there in a catatonic like state. He did sleep a lot, but never ate and had been fed intravenously.

Finally, in the past three days, Jarod had started responding to the antidepressant medicine. He made some eye contact and was willing to sip on ensure milkshakes. The protégé had lost so much weight that it was going to take serious work to get his strength back. Jarod hadn’t spoken a word to anyone since his transfer to Menninger Hospital and had shown no sign that he even recognized Sydney.

Today was going to be a busy day with a staff meeting at 10:00am. Sydney still couldn’t believe it was time to get up. Last night his pillow seemed harder than a rock and he had stayed up until 2:00 reading a new book on cutting edge psychiatric strategies which seemed more like an exercise in futility. He liked Jarod’s medical doctor and had formed a very good working relationship with him. They usually arrived at Jarod’s room at the same time in the morning.

After grabbing a quick cup of coffee, Sydney was off for his morning rounds. Most of his patients had illnesses ranging from eating disorders, chronic stress disorders, and alcohol-induced melancholia, to bipolar disorders. As always, Jarod was first on his list.

The psychiatrist opened the door to Jarod’s room slowly, and was pleased to see that Dr. Weldon had Jarod up in a sitting position. He was busy removing the final dressings from the pretender’s hands and wrists.

„Good morning, Dr. Best. You’re just in time to see Jarod get the use of his hands back. The skin grafts have healed very well."

„That’s good news." Sydney said as he took a seat next to Jarod and was handed his patient’s chart. He scanned it briefly, then set it in his lap, giving Jarod his full attention. Jarod seemed to be intently watching, as the gauze was unwound revealing his damaged hand and wrist. The Doctor observed it carefully also examining the tips of the fingers which had healed nicely. The hand looked much more normal now, but the deep gash around his wrist was still very predominate and would probably need plastic surgery.

„There you are Jarod." The doctor said as he laid the hand down and started on the other one. Jarod showed no sign of emotion as he watched the other hand being unwrapped. Sydney was hoping for some reaction from Jarod as he intently observed the scene.

„Jarod, try to squeeze my hand a little bit." Doctor Weldon said holding Jarod’s right hand in his. Jarod just sat there looking at him as he spoke and then back at his hand.

Sydney closed his eyes and fought back a tide of bitterness over what had been senselessly done to the young man. He struggled to keep his tears back as he looked over at Jarod. Then it happened. Jarod squeezed the doctor’s hand slightly.

„Very good, Jarod." The doctor said, trying hard to hold down his excitement. „It looks like it’s in good working order. How does it feel to you, Jarod?"

The young man sat there for a long time, staring down at the hands in his lap with a confused look on his face, then suddenly he said, „Thank you."

Dr. Weldon and Sydney exchanged a brief look and then the doctor said, „You’re sure welcome, Jarod. I’ve got to go now, but Dr. Best is staying to visit with you for a while. I’ll be back to look in on you again this afternoon. Have a good visit." Dr. Weldon gave Jarod a big smile and winked at Sydney before leaving the room.

Jarod stared in the direction of the door as if lost in thought again, but then held up one of his hands and began studying it, paying close attention to the wrist.

„Jarod, what are you thinking?" Sydney asked gently, biting back his apprehension.

The pretender looked over at the older man with a troubled look on his face. „What happened to me, Dr.Best?"

The door opened and a nurse appeared with a breakfast tray.

„Excuse me. I hope I’m not interrupting anything." She said as she crossed the room and set the tray down on the bed table.

Sydney gave her an incredulous look, shaking his head slightly, then recovering quickly said, „No, Nurse, that’s just fine. Jarod, would you like your morning shake? Maybe you would like to hold on to it yourself today." He said holding the cup in front of his patient. „Why don’t you give it a try?"

Jarod reached for the cup, but when he started to hold it his hands began shaking and Sydney had to help him. After a few moments the protégé lost interest in the whole thing.

„Jarod do you remember anything from before you came here?"

The pretender was silent for a very long time, seemingly wrestling over the question, then slowly met his psychiatrist’s eyes again.

„I can’t tell you. They want me to tell you, but I could never do that to you. Someone would kill you, if they knew I told you anything."

Sydney watched as Jarod started pulling on a corner of the bedspread where the fringe was attached. He was giving it little tugs as he continued looking into the doctor’s eyes.

„Who want’s you to tell me? Are you hearing voices telling you what to do?"

„I won’t tell you."

„Jarod, why wouldn’t you want to tell me?"

The confused man was tugging much harder on the fringe now.

„If I tell you, you’ll be mad at me and I’ll have to leave here, but I don’t have anywhere else to go."

„Jarod, I would never get mad at you and I won’t let you leave here until we both agree that you’re ready."

Jarod buried his face in his hands. „My insides are screaming. Why am I so scared?"

The psychiatrist put his hand on his patient’s arm giving it a reassuring squeeze. „Jarod, look at me. You’re going to have to trust me. We will work through this together. You’re going to beat this thing.

Sydney began writing on his chart while he finished talking to Jarod. „I’m going to have the nurse bring you some medicine that will help you with the anxiety you are experiencing. You need to try and get some rest now. This has been a big morning for you. I’m very pleased with you for confiding in me. I’ll be back this afternoon. If you need to talk to me before that, just push your buzzer and tell the nurse. She’ll know where to find me. Now, try to get some rest."

Jarod watched Sydney leave with a look of apprehension on his face and began tugging on the bedspread fringe again.

* * *

„Well, hell, I guess I’m just going to have to be in charge of the Centre, until your people get their act together." Mutombo said in an infuriated voice. „Mr. Parker, do you care to explain to me where you were when this meltdown occurred?"

„For God’s sake, we’ve been over this three times. I was with my daughter, who was shot by Raines. He’s the bastard that tried to shoot me. Hell, he and Lyle are the one’s who took off on a half-baked Gestapo plan to raise an army of clones, while lying through their teeth to the tower about your intimate involvement. They’re the ones who caused the Centre exposure. They’re the idiots who let Jarod slip through their hands twice within 24 hours!"

„Don’t you use that tone with me, or you’ll be joining Raines down in Argentina! Now, have your people located Lyle?"

„Yes, he contacted me two weeks ago, to try to cut a deal. He threatened to kidnap my daughter. Willie’s sweeper team nabbed him. He’s down in renewal wing having an attitude adjustment."

„What about the report stating that he gave Jarod an overdose of one of Rains experimental drugs, resulting in permanent insanity?"

„Yes that is what he did, but we have no conformation that Jarod has been permanently disabled. His mind may still be salvageable. We won’t know until we recover him."

„Have you been able to locate Sydney?"

Mr. Parker just sat there for a minute looking at his hands. „No."

„What did you find out from Mr. Broots?"

„He says he doesn’t know anything. We’re just going to let that one ride for a while. His phone is taped and we’re keeping a close eye on every move he makes. My daughter is handling that for me."

„She had better handle this or the consequences will be costly."

Mr. Parker’s anger burned at that remark, but said nothing. He’d already said too much in anger and he didn’t want to be put to death.

„All right, Mr. Parker, that will be all for now. Sam, please escort Mr. Parker back to his office for now. Oh, and Mr. Parker, it was a good thing Willie’s team was able to remove the men from police custody, so to speak, before any permanent damage was done. Be advised. I expect all Centre property recovered in tact, including Gemini and Major Charles. Is that understood?"

„Completely."

„Then that will be all."

* * *

„Broots, it’s about time you level with me, before Mutombo has you and Debbie in his cross hairs."

„I I I swear, Miss Parker, I don’t know anything about where Sydney went. May maybe he he decided to go into hiding or something."

„Good one, Broots. I didn’t think he took a Carnival cruse. What about Jarod? From what I was told, he’s a candidate for the nut house and Sydney just happens to be our resident nutcracker. Gee, don’t you suppose those two are out there together somewhere – just maybe?"

„Well, sure, I mean, that’s pre pretty possible. Miss Parker, you know that Jarod was the one who kept you from bleeding to death at the airport."

„So I’ve heard. Get to the point, Broots."

„Well, he he sacrificed his freedom for yours."

„NO, no, no. He just bungled his escape. Don’t pin that one on me!"

„Do do you know what they did to him when they brought him back here?"

„NO, and I don’t give a damn. If it weren’t for him, I would never have been shot in the first place. He’s made my life a living hell from day one. He should have stayed where he belonged. He’s Centre property and our assignment is to bring him back."

„I think you ought to take a look at this, before you, well, you just need to."

„Broots, where the hell did you get this?"

„Look at it, please."

Miss Parker looked at Broots pleading eyes and thought hard for a second, then grabbed the DSA from Broots hand and slid it into the player. She gave him another disgusted look before siting down to watch it.

* * *

„You can’t reassign me now! That was my partner and best friend who was gunned down in cold blood and my Sargent, too! Haven’t you heard a word I’ve been saying?"

„Look, Joe. I was close to them too. But you’re too emotionally involved here. You’re going to have to get a hold of yourself. Let’s face it. The trail is cold now. We’ve passes this one on to the Feds. It’s their game now. We’ve got a real shortage of manpower and need you where you’ve been reassigned. Life goes on, Joe."

„I can’t believe how callous you are. I’m not going to play your little games anymore. I quit as of right now."

„Hey, Joe. Don’t do this! You’re not thinking straight. Why don’t you take the rest of the day off and try to cool off before you throw your whole career away. You’re a good man, Joe. We don’t want to loose you. What do you say Joe?"

„I’m sorry Chief Richards, I’ve made up my mind and no amount to thinking is going to change that."

„I’m really sorry it has to end this way. Look, I’ll hold on to these papers until tomorrow incase you change your mind."

„You do what you want. I’ve gotta get going. See you around."

* * *