Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

This is a story written for fun and not money. It is written for myself and others, who may want to read it. The Characters are not mine, I'm just borrowing them from NBC's The Pretender. Please don'tsue me – I have no money. I'm just an extreme Pretender fan. Pleaseread parts one through four or you'll be lost for sure. jojarod50


Introducion
In Pursuit of Happiness begins with Miss Parker shot and Jarod recaptured at the end of Donoterase – season 4 grand finalie. Part 5 opens with a very injured Jarod having just been transferred to a private hospital room after just receiving surgery on his shoulder and medical attention for his other injuries. Sydney and the Centre are locked in a race to reach Jarod while Lyle is on the run, with a makeshift plan for saving his own skin. 1-22-00



In Pursiut Of Happiness
Part 5
by jojarod50






Jarod was moved into a private hospital room on the 5th floor; one of the few rooms left. Because of Jarod's precarious mental state combined with severe injuries, Dr. Daniels had insisted he have a private room. The only real reason he got it, was the fact that Jarod was the only probable witness to what went on after the fateful plane crash and was under armed witness protection.

The type A Sydney flu was reeking havoc all over the country, especially in the Northeast. There had been a steady stream of patients with life threatening cases of the flu flowing through the emergency room for three days now. Many hospitals were filled to capacity and had closed their doors. Trenton Memorial was one of the few hospitals in the area still accepting patients.

There was no doubt in Dr. Ross mind, as to the severity of her patient's inability to cope with the physical and psychological trauma he had endured. Jarod lapsed in and out of consciousness as fragmented shards of the past 24 hours assaulted his mind. The protégé cried out as he surfaced from yet another terrifying nightmare. Dr. Ross immediately left her chair and went to him. Placing a damp cloth on Jarod's burning forehead, she calmly called his name trying to bring him back to consciousness. Jarod's eyes shot open and he franticly looked around the room seeing no one besides the two police officers guarding the door. Quickly he turned his attention to Dr. Ross who was sitting by his bed.

"Where am I?"Jarod whispered struggling for breath and wincing against the painful movement of his broken ribs.

"Jarod, you're in Trenton Memorial Hospital beginning your recovery from injuries inflicted on you and the effect of a strong hallucinogenic drug. Do you remember Dr. Daniels speaking to you about this in the recovery room?"

Jarod stared at her in disbelief. His attention then turned inward and he became lost in thought.

"Jarod, what are you thinking?" she asked after a few minutes.

The Pretender looked up with a menacing expression on his flushed, bruised face, as his eyes narrowed to slits."You're lying to me. Now why would you do that, Dr. Ross?" His words were confrontational, but his voice sounded weak and defeated.

"Why do you think you are being lied to?" his psychiatrist asked, brushing a lock of brilliant red hair away from her eyes.

"I don't have to tell you anything. Frankly, I don't care what you do with me. It just doesn't matter any more. His voice trembled and he looked away as silent tears ran down his face.

"Jarod, I'm here to help you. I'm not your enemy. More than anything else, you need rest and time to sort everything out. Don't give up on yourself and don't give up on me."

The pretender turned his head back toward the doctor as if to say something else, then suddenly started staring at her as if he were seeing her for the first time. His eyes were wide with amazed awe and he gasped as his expression changed to wonderment.

"Mom? Mom! I've searched for you so long. Is it really you? How did you ever find me?" Jarod was overcome with emotion and started to weep.

"Jarod, just hang on. Everything is going to be ok." Dr. Ross said feeling a sadness she had never felt for a patient before and realizing she was in way over her head.

"Mom, you have to go. If they find you they will kill you! Oh God, I love you. Please just go. Please, please…please…" Jarod whispered as complete exhaustion overcame him and he drifted off to sleep. An R.N. entered the room quietly and headed over to Jarod, thermometer in hand. "How is he doing?" she whispered to Dr. Ross who gave her a wane smile.

"Physically, I think he's in a lot of pain and emotionally…"she just shook her head.

"Well, his fever is terribly high. I think we should get Dr. Daniels to look at him. His fever should have broken by now."

Stepping away, the nurse paged Dr. Daniels The psychiatrist looked at her patient for several minutes before retrieving his chart and recording her notes. Suddenly, Jarod's body went ridged and he went into convulsions. His face turned an ugly shade of purple as his body arched and bucked on the bed. The nurse hit the call button, opened the drawer by the bed, retrieving a rubber stick that she inserted into Jarod's mouth just before his teeth clinched shut. They held him down as he convulsed. Dr. Daniels rushed into the room and took over ordering the nurse to get some icepacks immediately.

Moments later they were chucking the ice packs under Jarod's armpits, groin area, around his neck, and anywhere else they could put them. Finally the convulsion stopped and Jarod lay motionless, blood seeping through his shoulder dressing.

"Nurse, call the O.R. and have them get ready. Looks like our patient broke his sutures. Get Respiratory up here for another blood gas and have the Lab do a bacterial and toxicology workup on Mr. Doe.

"Yes, Doctor. I'm right on it." And with that she was out the door.

A few minutes later, there was a soft taping at the door, and a nurse opened the door just far enough to give a message to one of the policemen.

"Excuse me. Officer Able, you had a phone call at the desk. The caller asked if you could call him back as soon as you were free. He said you would know who to call."

"Oh, thank you nurse. Police business is never done." And with that the dirty cop headed for a phone booth near the waiting room.


* * *

"Sydney was at his desk running over his downloaded copy of Jarod's hospital medical records. He quickly inserted records including an additional diagnosis of meningococcal meningitis with appropriate lab results and specific antibiotic regimen. Also, included were orders for an immediate patient transfer.

Broots was busy at his computer lining up a medical transfer of patient Jarod Doe to Menninger Hospital in Overland Park, Kansas.

"Broots, be sure to insert me as doctor with privilege on their staff. Use the name Sydney Best."

"Got it! Sydney, I just want to say, um well, God Sydney, be careful. If anything every happened t…"

"Thank you, Broots, but don't worry. I can handle a lot more than you know," he said checking his gun. "You just make sure there isn't any paper trail for the Centre to follow."

A knock at the door startled the two saboteurs, who looked up just in time to see Freddie from pharmaceutical supply burst in with a small white bag in hand and a clipboard tucked under his arm.

Sorry to barge in, but here are the bottles of seconal you ordered with the antibiotic labling you asked for. "You know this isn't, well, you know, someone could take these by mistake thinking.."

"Thanks Freddie, I'm well aware of what I'm doing."Sydney said with a threatening look, as the worried man handed him the white bag.

"OH sure, Doc, I didn't mean anything. I did what you said; No records, no paperwork on these."

"That's just fine, Freddie. Don't you have to be somewhere?" Sydney said nodding toward the door.

"Right. I'm outta here."And with that, Freddie left without another word.

* * *

Within minutes Sydney was aboard a Centre Helicopter, briefcase in hand, nearly simming the situation, as he laid out his plans. Once in the air he would be completely on his own.

"Hello Clyde, are you going to give me a smooth ride this time?"

"Sure Doc, don't I always?" Clyde chuckled giving Sydney an innocent grin. Moments later, they were aloft and headed due North for Canada. Fifteen minutes into the flight, Sydney turned to Clyde, gun in hand, and ordered him to change course, and head straight for Trenton Memorial Hospital.

"Clyde, I'm sure you are aware of the importance of giving me your full cooperation with no exception, if you intend on remaining fully in tact. Now, I will explain what we are doing and what your part will be. Am I getting through to you, Clyde?"

"Absolutely, Dr. Green. Please just don't kill me."

"That's just fine, Clyde. Just relax and I'll go through the whole thing with you, step by step.

* * *


Willie was disgusted with the mounting delays plaguing the surgical strike.

"Let me get this straight. Jarod went into a seizure, tore his stitches and he's going back to surgery in twenty minutes? Willie gave out a loud exasperated sigh. Ok. Operation disruption is "go" here. We'll just wait for your call and remember, don't raise any suspicions. Just get the package to the freight elevator. Our men will take it from there.

"You don't have to worry about me."


* * *


An outer corridor security officer scrutinized the doctor for a moment before he spoke. "I'm sorry Dr. Best. Your name isn't on my list."

"That's completely understandable. I was hired in last week, but had a mild case of the Sydney flu. This is my 1st official day of work."

"I didn't know there was such a thing as a mild case of the flu."

"I had a flu shot this fall."

"That's pretty funny. Dr. Sydney with the Sydney flu."

"I assure you it wasn't. Look, I'm in a hurry here."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Must be getting punchy. I'm working a double shift today because of that damn flu. Just a moment."

Quickly he called for verification and the psychiatrist was allowed to enter the hospital.

Sydney skipped all the formalities and headed straight for the 5th floor nurse's station. Selecting Jarod's chart, he flipped it open and began to scan it. The head nurse noticed him and straight away asked him if she could help him.

"Oh, hello nurse… "He paused, looking on her name tag, "Nurse Tess. My name is Dr. Sydney Best. I'm a psychiatrist. I'll be working with Jarod Doe. What's his status?"

"Not what we'd like to see. He's back in his room now, after being resutured. He's fighting an infection and we've been unable to get a handle on his fever until this past hour. It had shot up to 106 degrees when he ceased. His mental status is questionable. Dr. Ross is in with him right now. She's the resident psychiatrist here. Oh, and one more thing. He's under witness protection and Lieutenant Joe Clark is anxious to question him about the plane crash he was in. I don't know how much longer you can hold him off."

Sydney was in full professional mode when he thanked her, but hope she didn't notice the slight tremble in his voice as he fought to keep his raging emotions in check. After a few more hurried minutes with Jarod's chart, Sydney made his way to the pretender's room.

As Sydney entered the room, he was immediately taken back by the horrible physical appearance Jarod. The two policemen looked him over carefully as he entered, but he ignored then and headed straight for Dr. Ross, who was seated by Jarod's bed.

"Let's talk." Sydney said motioning to her to join him at the far end of the room.

"Dr. Ross, I presume."

"Yes. And you are?"

"I'm Dr. Sydney Best. I'm the new psychiatrist they hired in last week. My specialty is drug abuse rehabilitation. You look tired, if you don't mind my mentioning it. How long has it been since you had a break?" He gave her a compassionate understanding look.

"Glad to meet you, Dr. Best. I'm so glad you are here. I had a short break while Jarod was back in surgery, but I have to tell you, it's been a very long day. We're not a big hospital here, and most of us are doing double shifts. There are so many out with the flu. Hope you've had your flu shot"

Gratefully, I have. I've been looking over Jarod's chart. How is he doing right now?"

"Luckily, that poor soul is asleep. He's experienced a major psychotic episode; most likely drug induced. It may also be reactive psychosis, as he was severely tortured. As he has had such a high fever, I haven't been able to ascertain if he has been in touch with reality at all. Right before he had his seizure, he had mistaken me for his mother and was greatly fearful for my life." Sydney took in her red hair as she continued.

"He has also exhibited signs of severe depression, not uncommon for the first 24 hours following an overdose of a hallucinogen. Jarod has been put on a suicide watch for now. I'm really glad you're here. I'm afraid I'm way out of my league with this one."

"I'm very anxious to get started with Jarod. Look, why don't you take a break and get something to eat. I'll be happy to take it from here." Sydney suggested while leading her to the door.

"Thank you very much, Dr. Best. I'm looking forward to working with you. I owe you one. I'll see you in about an hour."

"Dr.Ross, Go ahead and take the whole afternoon. I really want to establish myself with this patient. You'll be doing me a big favor."

"Ok, doctor. Good luck to you. Catch you later."

With that, Dr. Ross was gone. Sydney had noticed one of the guards had left during his conversation with the doctor and knew time was getting short. "One down, two to go." He muttered to himself. I'll wait until the other cop gets back and deal with them together.

Quietly, Sydney walked over to Jarod and sat by his bed. Jarod lay there with his head tossing from side to side. His breathing was quick and shallow with a distinct raspy sound. He was obviously in the midst of another nightmare. Sydney's heart broke as he noticed the protégé's sunken dark eyes and ravaged face. His hands were covered with white gaze wrapped passed his wrists. He knew about the torn wrists and ankles, damaged by the cruel metal restraints and how toothpick pieces had been shoved under his fingernails. Jarod's mentor closed his eyes tightly as a wave of dizziness washed over him.

Suddenly, the door flew open and Officer Able walked in.

"So, how's the patent doing, Doc?"

Sydney smiled and walked over to his intended victim bringing his chart with him.

"I'm glad you asked. He's just been diagnosed with meningococcal meningitis. Have you and your partner been vaccinated for this?"

"Um, no I don't think I have. How about you, Dennis?"

"Gee, I don't think so. No one told us anything about this."

"Well, you have been exposed, but don't worry. I took the liberty of securing appropriate antibiotics for you to start taking right away. You need to take 2 or 3 to get started and 1 twice a day after that. I strongly suggest you both get started on these immediately. I'll be all right while you take a break to take these. I suggest some hot coffee or something like that to get it into your system quicker. Take your time boys. Some times taking this high a dose can cause mild stomach upset or dizziness. Wait at least a half an hour before coming back.

There's an officer just down the hall if I need one. Bacterial meningitis is an infection of the fluid surrounding a person's spinal cord and brain. It can be quite severe and if left untreated can lead to brain damage, hearing loss, or learning disability. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Sydney said as he proffered the bottles of sleeping pills to the unsuspecting cops.

"Hey, thanks Doc! I can't believe no one warned us about this. We definitely need to be back 10 minutes before shift change. See ya then. Come on Dennis, we have time for this. Cover for us Doc, ok?"

"You have my word on it."

Sydney watched with great pleasure as the dirty cops hurried out of the room. Pressing the intercom button, Sydney called the nurse's station to inquire about shift changes and found out that it would be in 50 minutes. Pulling out his portable phone he informed Clyde of the deadline and told him to be ready.

Taking his seat again, the psychiatrist wrestled with whether of not to wake Jarod. The pretender moaned and mumbled something and slowly opened his eyes ending his dilemma.

"Jarod, I'm so sorry." The older man said, his voice cracking. Jarod just stared at him in confusion for a long moment, before retreating into himself again. He just lay there staring blankly at the ceiling lost in a maze of fragmented thoughts.

"Jarod, listen to me. I'm getting you out of here. Forgive me, Jarod. We'll face this together." Sydney had tears in his eyes, as he injected a sedative into Jarod's I.V. Moments later, his patient slipped into a deep sleep. Sydney checked the clock. Forty-five minutes to go.

* * *

"Hey, Joe, I've been looking for you everywhere. Where have you been?"

"Sorry, Larry. I finally got a little sleep."

"Must have been very little, Joe. You still look like crap."

"I like you too, Larry. What's up?"

"You need to go talk to Chief Richards ASAP. The Feds got a lead on who your Jarod Doe is. In fact, don't tell them I told you, but I overheard them saying something about him having several aliases. He even masqueraded as an agent working with the Atlanta PD named Lieutenant Jarod Doyle. Cracked a high profile kidnapping case."

"Looks like he got in over his head on his last gig. God, what a mess. Hey thanks, Larry. I'd better get going."

"One more thing, Joe. Have you had a chance to talk to the witness yet about the plane crash and murders?"

"No, he's really messed up. It's upsetting on many levels. Ya gotta feel sorry for the guy, but the murder trail is growing colder by the minute. Hopefully, I won't have to push the issue and they'll grant me access to Jarod today or tonight. The only evidence we have from the crash site is a little silver disk. The Feds have it right now. Well, see ya later, Larry."


* * *

The inebriated bum spoke with slurred speech as he talked on the pay phone. "I've planted a bomb in your crappy hospital and she's rigged to go off in ten minutes. That'll even the score for the death of my wife, you dirty butchers." It took the old man two tries before he successfully hung up the phone and then he turned to the black man who had promised him $100 bucks to make the call.

"Ok, Pops. You did just find. Tad here will pay you off and give you a ride far away from here."

"That's just fine with me. Happy to do business with you."

"Tad, give him the money and his ride."

"Come on,Pops, let's go"

* * *

The scene was controlled ciaos at the hospital, as the emergency evacuation quickly got underway. Patients were moved out of their rooms quickly and efficiently, with great effort made not to further alarm the frightened patients.

Sydney made his move immediately, wheeling Jarod's bed out into the hallway. Clyde met the doctor at the freight elevator at the end of the hall. Orderlies were already waiting at the elevator with other patients. Sydney rushed up to the door with his chart in his hand.

"Everyone get back, please. We have a priority life flight patient who must be transported to the waiting helicopter immediately."

Everyone stared at them as they pushed through the crowd, wheeling the unconscious patient onto the elevator.

Sydney and Clyde made fast work of getting him up to the roof and into the waiting helicopter. They had to lay Jarod on the floor while Sydney held on to his IV bag.

The helicopter left the landing pad without a hitch and headed straight for Overland Park, Kansas.

"Well done, Clyde. Did you encounter any difficulties at the freight elevator?"

"Not really. I just did what you suggested and got the cops to handle the sweepers who were waiting there. The Centre is going to kill me for this."

"Take it easy, Clyde. Broots will have everything you need to start a new life, in a locker at KCI airport in Kansas City, MO. Go to this motel and wait three days." He said handing the frightened man a legal sized envelope. You'll receive a phone call in three days giving you all the details. The Centre is on borrowed time now. You'll be the least of their concern."

Sydney glanced down at the sleeping pretender. He looked completely ravaged. He placed his hand on his cheek. Jarod was still too hot.

"Don't you worry, Jarod. This time I'm going to make things right for you. I promise."

* * *

"I said those two cops and two of our sweepers are in police custody. Jarod is gone. I don't know. Do a head count. Someone used our own plan to get him out. Yes, I know what to do. I've already got a detail on that. They might even be dead now. Look, let me check and I'll get back to you. Mutombo? OH God! When will he be there? Yes, Sir. Absolutely, Sir. I'll be back in about an hour and a half."

Willie just stood there staring at the other sweeper.

"What did Raines say?"

"You don't want to know."