Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

This fanfic is written to keep alive my favorite show, The Pretender, as we wait for more movies. I do not own the characters of The Pretender or The Profiler. TNT, AOL, NBC, FOX, and I’m not sure who else owns the show. Please don’t sue me—Just make more Pretender shows! Author’s note - -Andrea Marie is the name I came up with for Miss Parker and has nothing to do with the actress that plays that role. In one of the episodes, it was mentioned that Charles was Jarod’s dad’s last name, so I gave him the first name of John. Gemini’s new name is Michael.
7/18/01




In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 36
by jojarod50




Patio behind the Charles’ Cabana
Yellow Bird Island
Friday 1:45 PM

Major Charles and Margaret looked on, as Jarod, Michael, and Emily hurried off into the cabana for dessert.

“Well, I guess it’s just you and me now,” John said, eyeing his handsome wife and giving her a gentle pat. “I’ve missed you so much, Margaret. All those years after Raines shot me in the back and left me for dead, I was so afraid they’d murdered you and Emily, too. I tried so hard to find you, but you left without a trace. You did an incredible job of keeping yourself and our daughter safe,” he said, brushing the loose strands of reddish hair away from her cheek and giving her a light kiss. “You’ve got your hair up in that bun thing, the way you used to on hot summer days. I’m glad you kept your beautiful long hair,” he said, tilting his head so he could get a better look.

Blushing slightly, she averted her eyes, knowing by the way he was looking at her, that she was still very attractive to him.

“I’ve always kept it long, just in case I ever found you again. If I hadn’t had Emily to take care of, I probably would have sunk into total despair,” she said, admiring his rugged features and graying hair ruffled by the salty breeze. “I can’t describe how overwhelmed we were when we received the phone call telling us you were alive and waiting for us with Jarod and Gemini. Actually, I thought that Gemini might have been Jarod’s son,” she said, markedly relaxing, finding it funny now, that she had been so concerned about her own more mature appearance, considering both of them had inevitably aged.

John slipped his arm around her as she continued to talk, his heart skipping a beat, as she rested her head on his shoulder. Closing his eyes, he breathed in the musky aroma of her perfume, reminded of the happier times before everything had gone so terribly wrong.

* * *

Kitchen moments later…

“What’s up with you two and ice cream?” Emily asked, as she watched Jarod pulling 3 cartons out of the freezer and lining them up in front of the bowls.

“It was the first taste of freedom Gemini, I mean Michael and I experienced after our escape.”

“Are you saying neither of you ever had ice cream before that?”

“Yeah, well, let’s just say, we were purposely kept in the dark by our captors, so we wouldn’t be contaminated by any knowledge of the out side world,” Jarod said, losing his smile for a fleeting moment. “Most of the things people take for granted, are a new experience for Michael and me,” he said, with a boyish smile, carting the bowls over to the table.

“Good heavens, Jarod. I couldn’t possibly eat all of this,” Emily teased, glad to see her brother smiling again. It was painfully obvious to her by the way his mood darkened any time he referred to his life in captivity, that it must have deeply traumatized him.

“Hmmm, I guess I got a little carried away. Don’t worry; one of us will finish it,” Jarod said, looking around for the phone as it rang.

“Sydney, what a surprise,” Jarod said sarcastically, giving his sister and brother a forced smile as he quickly left the room.

*

Living room - moments later…

“I was wondering how you are feeling today. Are you experiencing any after effects from the hallucinogen?”

“Thankfully nothing of any consequence unless you consider exhaustion one of them.”

“Yes, now that you’re finally out of danger and have been reunited with your family, I’m sure you’re going to find it increasingly difficult to ignore your need for rest. You’re anemic and completely run down, Jarod. I know you’re probably tired of hearing this, but you are going to have to allow your body a chance to recuperate from your lengthy ordeal.”

“I know.”

“Did your mother and sister arrive there safely?”

“They got here around 10:45 this morning. In fact, I was just having some ice cream with my sister and Michael. I need to be getting back.”

“Michael?”

“That’s Gemini’s new name. In fact, I’d get rid of my name, too, if it weren’t given to me by my real parents. It reminds me too much of the Centre.”

“That’s a part of who you are. Changing your name wouldn’t change anything. You sound bitter.”

“Always the psychoanalyst. Look, I really have to go. My ice cream is melting.”

“Jarod, I need you to come over for a session this afternoon. My cabana is about a quarter of a mile south of yours. I promise not to keep you very long.”

“Having trouble with your short range memory? You seem to have forgotten that my family, which you helped keep me from for over thirty years, is here right now, and I have a lot of catching up to do.”

“Your renewed anger with me is understandable, but I feel a certain urgency that I meet with you today. Frankly, I’m very worried about you, Jarod.”

“Worried about me? This is about that surveillance DSA, isn’t it. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t I under the influence of LSD at the time?”

“Yes, but..”

“Look, the entire issue is moot now. I don’t ever plan on being on a hallucinogen again. You’re making a mountain out of a mole hill, or how ever you say it.”

“I’m not so sure about that. At least humor me by viewing the DSA, then you can help me decide what significance, if any, it has. You might as well cooperate, Jarod, I’m not going to let this matter go.”

There was a deafening silence before Jarod spoke again. “All right, Sydney, if it will get you off my back,” Jarod said, rubbing his hand over his eyes. “I’ll see you in a little bit,” he said, clicking the off button forcefully then wheeling around startled by someone entering the room. Mom, I didn’t realize you were there,” Jarod said, embarrassed by how jumpy he was. “That was Sydney on the phone. I’m going to meet with him for a little bit. He’s in a cabana just down the beach. It shouldn’t take long.”

“Why don’t you sit down for a little bit first,” she said, realizing how badly she’d startled him and that he was shaking like a leaf.

“I’m fine, Mom. I’m just a little nervous today. The fresh air will do me good,” he said brightly, kissing her cheek. “I’ll see you in a little while.”

* * *

Patio 2:10 PM

Margaret came back onto the patio, surprised to discover her husband had fallen asleep in the brief time that she had been gone.

“John, why don’t you go in the house and lie down. You’re going to suffer heat exhaustion out here.”

“Hi, honey, I was just resting my eyes,” he said with a guilty look, scooting up in the chair. “Isn’t that Jarod down on the beach? Where is he going in such a hurry?”

“His doctor called and asked him to come down for a short visit. Frankly, I’m glad. Maybe he can do something for him, so he won’t be so edgy.”

“I’m afraid it’s going to take time, more than anything his doctor can do, for him to feel safe again. He’s been so psychologically traumatized that he is still hyper-vigilant a great deal of the time. He was doing better until the travesty he went through this past week. I’m sure after he’s had time to get to know you and Emily, he’ll become much more relaxed. Sweetheart, please don’t start crying again. Jarod’s going to be all right.”

“I can’t help it, John. Sometimes he seems like a frightened child. It just breaks my heart, knowing what he’s been through.”

“Margaret, that child of yours has taken down more dangerous criminals than the FBI, proportionate to the time of his escape. And before that, the Centre used his Genius abilities for some of the most sophisticated military contracts every developed. A lot of his child-like qualities come from his complete isolation from the real word for over 30 years. Jarod’s a tenacious fighter. I truly believe he’s going to be all right.”

* * *

Sydney’s Cabana
2:30 PM

“Jarod, I’m so glad to see you.”

“Let’s just get this over with, Sydney, I need to be getting back.”

“All right, Jarod, please come in,” Sydney said, motioning to the sliding glass door, as he followed him inside.

“I’m glad to see you’re out of your wheel chair. Has there been any word about Michelle and your son?”

“Yes, Jarod, they’ll be arriving tomorrow afternoon. I can’t believe we’ll be reunited after all these years.”

“I know how you feel.”

“Would you like something to drink? I seem to have a large assortment of soft drinks in the refrigerator. “

“Don’t bother, I probably won’t be staying that long,” Jarod said, with a definite edge on his voice.

“You seem so angry, Jarod. I can’t believe it’s all because of me. Tell me what’s bothering you.”

“Nothing, Sydney, aside from having to leave my family to come down here,” he said stepping further into the room and picking up a large shell on an end table. “Did you find this or was it already here?”

“I found it on the beach this morning. Jarod why don’t you sit down?” he said, motioning to the couch, realizing by his evasiveness and shaky demeanor that his former protege was having a difficult time. “Are you sure you don’t want something to drink? I’m going to get something for myself.”

“All right, Sydney, that will be fine,” Jarod said, feeling a pang of guilt for giving his former mentor a hard time.

*

“Do you like cream soda?” his doctor asked, proffering him a drink.

“I’m not sure,” Jarod said, failing to control his shaking hand as he reached for the can.

“Why don’t you let me give you a brief examination before we view the DSA.”

“Sydney, I don’t see any…”

“Have you had any anxiety attacks today, Jarod,” he asked taking his trembling left hand and checking his pulse.

“I’ve just been a little nervous today; that’s about it,” he said down playing the issue, hoping he wouldn’t embarrass him with any more questions about it.

“Hmmm, your pulse rate is quite high. Let’s get your blood pressure,” he said, reaching for the cuff. “What was it like, meeting your mother for the first time?”

“Pretty overwhelming,” he said, his smile quickly fading. “She blames herself for my kidnapping. You should have seen the look on her face.”

“There’s something else, isn’t there?”

Jarod broke into a sick smile. “She had no idea what had happened to me. She was understandably very upset.”

“I’m so sorry. That must have been very difficult for you.”

“It was extremely difficult for my mother,” Jarod said with deep bitterness, leaving his chair and heading out onto the patio, slamming the door closed.

*
“The view is breathtaking, isn’t it?” the doctor said, joining the pretender on the patio. “Jarod, the guilt you’re feeling over your mother’s reaction to you, is perfectly understandable considering how you mind works. I know you’re having an extremely hard time dealing with your own vulnerability, but you’re being entirely unfair with yourself. I’m very concerned over your unrelenting attitude of self contempt. Look at what you’re doing to yourself; you’re putting yourself under so much pressure to be well that you’re a complete nervous wreck. You’re going to have to accept where you are physically and emotionally and quit beating yourself up. Why don’t we go back inside and you can finish your drink while we talk,” he suggested, wondering if any of what he had said had gotten through to the stubborn young man.

“You want to know what I think… you’re being extremely over dramatic, Sydney,” he said, brushing him off. “It’s pretty obvious that your mind is on overdrive. Why don’t you show me the surveillance DSA instead. I’m curious about what you found so disturbing that you insisted I come all the way down here at a moments notice.”

“Jarod, that can wait for another day,” Sydney said, as they entered the living room. “I’m more interested in helping you find a healthier perspective concerning your relationship to your family.”

“I resent the implications of that, Sydney,” he spit, his dark eyes riveted on the startled psychiatrist as he spoke. “I’m not that unstable. You interrupted my afternoon to get me down here to view the DSA and that’s precisely what I’m going to do.”

“All right, Jarod,” he said placing his silver case on the coffee table and motioning for him to take a seat. “I believe the same issue we’ve been discussing was at play in your actions yesterday. We might as well deal with the whole thing at once.”

* * *

3:25 PM

Feeling the blood drain from his head, the pretender watched in horror, as his image on the DSA turned his gun on himself intending to fire. Closing his eyes, he was sickened by the realization of how close he had come to never knowing his mother or sister. “My God, Sydney, I had no idea I was that far gone yesterday. No wonder you were so anxious to see me. I assure you, I would have never done anything like that, if I had been in my right mind,” he said, resting his head in his hands and falling silent lost in thought.

Pulling the disc out of the machine and flipping off the screen, Sydney continued to observe his patient, as he tried to come to grips with what he had almost done.

“Jarod, I’m sure you understand the importance of letting me help you deal with your deep-seeded anger, before something like that really happens to you.”

* * *

The Charles’ cabana
4:27 PM

“Hi, Jarod,” Michael said excitedly as his older brother come in the door. “You’re just in time. Emily and I are going for a swim before dinner. Ya want to come along?”

“Sure, why not?” Jarod said, craving a diversion, relieved to be home with his family again.

“Hi, Jarod. I’m glad you’re home. Would you believe mom and dad are out on the patio again in this heat? Why don’t you put your trunks on? We’ll wait for you.”

“Trunks?”

“You know, swimming trunks,” she offered, realizing he had no clue what she was talking about.”

“Oh, right. I don’t really have any with me,” he said, making a mental note to pick some up. “I’ll just go down dressed like I am.”

*

Patio out back… 10 minutes later

“Mmm, it feels good to be hot for a change after years in England being chilled to the bone. At least you were in Kansas, before they dragged you back to Blue Cove, she teased glancing down at the trio on the beach. “Look, Jarod’s back. John, why on earth is he still dressed all in black? He could get sick in this heat. Doesn’t he have any other clothes?”

“No, I don’t believe he does. I bought those for him while he was hospitalized in Kansas, so he could have something beside those skimpy hospital gowns to wear.”

“Black was sort of his trade mark along with a black leather jacket he wore, after his initial escape. Our son saw himself as sort of a vigilante, helping the helpless caught up in injustice. I thought it’d help him feel more like his old self again, having part of his persona back. Unfortunately, not long after that, we were on the run again and so on.”

“Let’s go shopping, John. I noticed a nice mall this morning, on our drive over here. Agent Malone left us that car…”

“Slow down, Margaret. I see where you’re headed with this. I think Jarod would want to take care of it himself. He knows what he needs. Besides, I’d be interested in seeing what he comes up with. I just don’t want him driving the car.”

“Why not? Jarod’s going to need autonomy. I don’t think…”

“No, Margaret. That’s out of the question, at least for right now. I’m pretty sure he had an anxiety attack this morning. If he had one of those or a flashback while he was driving, he might get himself killed.”

Margaret was quiet for a moment, sipping her ice tea, slightly irritated with him for not telling her about that earlier. Taking a moment to count to 10, she watched the three bobbing under the shallow water, wondering what they were finding on the sandbar.

“That’s why he looked so ill when he answered his bedroom door,” she said more to herself than him. “What other problems is Jarod struggling with that you haven’t bothered to mentioned to me?” she asked suddenly, sounding more critical then she had intended.

“Sweetheart, I’m not trying to hide anything from you,” he said, glancing over at her and realizing she was glaring at him.“I just didn’t want to throw everything at you all at once.”

“For heaven’s sake, John. Quit treating me like a little girl. I’m your wife not your daughter.”

“Ouch. I take it the honeymoon is over. Are we having our first fight?” he asked with a sparkle in his eyes as he studied her flushed face, trying to defuse her anger.

“No, dear,” she said, brushing her damp bangs to one side, trying to stop a trickle of sweat from running down the side of her face. “I just want to be able to help our son.”

“I know, Margaret, I do, too,” he said, removing his arm from her shoulder and turning to face her. “He has pretty bad nightmares and loses a lot of sleep. The only other thing I can think of, is that he had a brush with substance abuse recently, so don’t offer him anything alcoholic to drink. In fact, we shouldn’t keep anything like that in the house. Where are you going, Margaret?”

“Don’t worry, I’m just going to answer the phone, Sweetheart, I’ll be right back,” she said, disappearing through the sliding glass door.

*

Patio moments later…

“Who was that, Margaret?”

“Dr. Green. He wants Jarod to call him back.”

“Hmm, that’s kind of strange. He just got back from there. You can tell him in a minute, it looks like they’re coming back up.”

*

Stopping at the shower on the walkway just before the steps to the patio, Emily, Michael and Jarod took turns quickly rinsing the sand off. Talking excitedly, the trio dripped their way onto the patio, Michael stopping to line up their latest finds on the sea wall.

“Sounds like you all had a good time,” Major Charles said, as Emily eagerly grabbed an ice tea and Jarod collapsed into the nearest deck chair.

“The sandbar is loaded with sand dollars, Dad,” Michael explained, handing him the one in his hand. “You can feel their slightly dome-shape bodies with your toes. There are hundreds of them out there. If you look closely you can see the tiny brown bristles covering that one waving slightly. We’re going to set up a salt water aquarium tomorrow, so we can study some of the smaller specimens of marine life we find.”

“That’s a wonderful idea, Michael. Jarod, your doctor just called. I think you need to call him back,” Margaret said, noticing that Jarod had lost all his coloring again and seemed completely worn out.

“Thanks, Mom, he said, stuffing his irritation and giving her a gentle smile, still having trouble believing she was really there. “After that, I think I’ll lie down for a little bit, if you don’t mind,” he said hesitantly, looking apologetically at his mom and dad.

“Of course we don’t mind, Son. You’re going to need a lot of rest to get back your strength,” the Major said, pleased to see he was finally taking his health seriously. “Oh Jarod, what time are our reservations for tonight?”

“Seven thirty. Dad, would you mind tapping on my door in 45 minutes, if I’m not up. I don’t want to over sleep. I’m really at a loss as to why I’m so tired,” he said, obviously frustrated with himself.

“I’m not, considering all you’ve been through. Go on, son, I wouldn’t let you oversleep.”

Jarod gave a slight nod and disappeared through the sliding glass door. He was tired of Sydney bothering him and decided to grab a quick shower before making the call.

* * *

Jarod’s bedroom 10 minutes later…

“No, I left them there on purpose. I’d rather not become dependent on tranquilizers. I think I can do this on my own. Look, I need to get going. I’m going to have a busy evening and was just going to lie down for a while.”

Hanging up the phone, Jarod yawned heavily, and eased down on the bed. Shrugging off his irritation with Sydney for his incessant hovering, he nestled down on his pillow and draped the bedspread half over himself. Moments later, he was fast sleep.

* * *

Miss Parker’s cabana just up the beach…

4:11 PM

Dropping the last of the sacks on the couch, Parker trotted off with her bottle of chilled Chablis, to the kitchen, and popped out the cork. Smiling to herself, she poured herself a drink, lavishing in the freedom she felt on the beautiful tropical island.

Sauntering out to the patio, she took a seat under a thatched umbrella, her mind drifting to Jarod and what she would wear tonight

Meeting his mother and sister after what she had done to recapture him in Boston, was increasingly bothering her. She was still haunted by the look on Jarod’s face, when he had been forced to wave his mom and sister away, before he’d even gotten a chance to meet them. She hoped in all the confusion that had followed, that his mom had not singled her out in the crowd of Centre operatives inundating the scene.

Quickly downing the last of her wine, Parker gave her phone a hateful look before answering it with her infamous “what”?

“Parker, this is Sydney. It sounds like I reached you at an inopportune time. Would you like for me to call back?”

“Well, if it isn’t Doctor Freud. What do I owe this pleasure to?”

“I was wondering how you were…. and if I could confer with you about Jarod, before you go over to the Charles’ house tonight.”

“Confer? Hmmm. Sounds like someone’s having a little trouble adjusting to being on vacation. I bet you didn’t even “sleep in” today,” she chided, enjoying baiting the good doctor. “Tell you what, Syd, I just opened some Chablis Blanc. Why don’t you drop by for a drink. I guarantee it will mellow you right out.”

“Thank you, Parker. I’ll be right over,” Sydney said and hung up the phone.

“Well, he sounds cheery,’ she said sarcastically. “Wonder what that was all about.”

* * *

The Charles cabana
4:31 PM

“No Margaret. Don’t go in there; you’ll embarrass the heck out of him. He’ll be alright,” Major Charles urged, heading his wife off in the hallway before she could get to Jarod’s door.

“John, you can’t be serious. He sounded like he was…”

“I know. Listen to me. He’ll be all right,” he said, holding her gently in his arms. “He was just having a bad dream. Now, let’s go back to the living room before he discovers us standing in the hall way,” John whispered, giving her an insistent look.

* * *

Living room moments later…

“Hi Mom and Dad. You should have gone with us. I’ve never seen so many stores in one mall. Look what I bought for Jarod. They had a whole rack of Hawaiian shirts on special. Where is he? I can’t wait for him to try it on?” Emily said excitedly, looking around for her brother.

“He’s in his bedroom right now. Good night, Emily, it looks like you bought out the entire store,” Margaret said standing up, as Michael came in the door, carrying more packages.

“Hi, Jarod. There’s a tropical fish store in the mall, that sells entire saltwater setups. Maybe we could go back there in the morning and check it out,” Michael said, realizing by the looks of him, that his big brother must have just awakened.

“Jarod, I didn’t hear you come into the room,” Margaret said brightly, wishing there was more she could do for her son.

“Hmmm, so this is what all the excitement was about,” Jarod said, breaking into a big smile, ignoring the panic he experienced a moment ago. “Good night, where’d all this stuff come from?” he asked jokingly, enjoying being a part of a real family.

“Come on, people, cut me some slack. Jarod, I bought you some shirts and a pair of trunks; I hope you don’t mind. Here, try this on. I think it will look great on you tonight”

“Hmmm, a Hawaiian shirt with bright red and yellow flowers against an ocean background. Thanks Em, that’s really nice.”

“Yeah, well, I thought it wouldn’t hurt you to add some color to your wardrobe. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Mind? Of course not. It’s the nicest present I’ve ever had,” he said breaking into a big smile, as he reached out and gave her a hug. “Excuse me, I’m going to try it on right now. Remember, we’re eating out tonight,” he said over his shoulder with a big smile as he left the room.


TBC