Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

This fanfic is written to keep alive my favorite show, The Pretender, as we wait for more movies. I do not own the characters of The Pretender or The Profiler. TNT AOL, NBC, FOX, and I’m really not sure who else does. As the Profiler has been cancelled, I am not sure who owns it.
6/05/01



In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 34
by jojarod50




7:35 PM Thursday
Fight 1034
Just after take-off 7:35 PM

The enthusiastic chatter of the reunited passengers had dropped off markedly to a few scattered conversations, as most of them decided to take advantage of the down time to rest. Agent Malone, on the other hand, opted to used his time to catch up on the oppressive amount of paperwork, that always followed a sting operation like today’s. The kids in front of him, however, continued to gleefully jabber away.

Gemini seemed completely mesmerized by Broots’ daughter, Debbie, as she discussed what life had been like for her, while her dad had worked at the Centre. He especially found her account of the time she had been “baby-sat” by Miss Parker, ending up a Parker look-alike, very amusing and insightful. He was anxious to know all he could about his brother’s new fiancée, hoping to figure out why his dad was adamantly opposed to her.

Across the aisle from his daughter, Broots listened nervously, as Joe finished defending the use of tear gas during Jarod’s and Miss Parker’s rescue, even though the word was the pretender had already subdued Mr. Lyle. Broots was appalled that Jarod had gone into a psychotic tailspin, actually firing on the swat team and viciously attacking Joe when he approached him. That’s when he realized for the first time how much danger he had potentially been in when Jarod had become confused and pulled his gun on him in the elevator. Breaking into a cold sweat, Broots silently vowed never to allow himself to be alone with the Pretender until he was sure Jarod was drug free and completely well.

*

“Sydney’s silence gave way to a sigh of relief, grateful that “lift off “had been uneventful for the pretender, who, at the moment, was resting peacefully in his seat beside Parker. Though Jarod had been substantially tranquilized, the doctor knew there was an outside chance that something unexpected might set him off like back at the Centre. Checking his black bag for a sedative, he looked back at his former protege, hoping he wouldn’t have to resort to that.

Glancing at the Major seated beside him, he could tell without asking, how extremely stressed out and exhausted he was. His body language was saying it all, as he craned his neck to view his son, an unmistakable hint of fear in his eyes.

“Major, I don’t think you really need to be overly concerned about Jarod right now. I examined him thoroughly before he took his seat and his mental state seems quite good, despite the hallucinogen,” he said, reassuringly, unclear as to why Jarod’s dad seemed to be so upset.

“How much longer will he be high on that junk?” his dad asked, his angry eyes darting from the doctor back to his son.

“It really depends on the drug and the amount ingested. It’ll probably be a couple more hours on the outside, before the drug has completely worn off. Maybe less, with any luck. At any rate, Jarod told me it seemed to have already tapered off substantially.“

“Tapered off substantially? I seriously doubt that. Jarod was way out there right before we left for the airport. The conversation he tried to have with me was horribly disjointed and didn’t make any sense at all.”

“What did he say, Major?” Sydney asked with deep concern.

“He was rambling on about being a blind moral failure and something about a Greek god, let’s see, what the heck was it? Oh yeah, Onisius, I think. Then he went off about the folly of mirroring the real god of retribution while all the time being a hollow façade. What ever the heck that means. The part that really seemed to get to him was something about being a bloodthirsty murderous fool and failing to take into account the evil intent of his heart or something to that effect. He even apologized for dragging Gemini and me down with him, before nearly crying. Dear lord, if he’s not still drugged, do you think he’s becoming psychotic again?”

“Major, I didn’t mean to suggest that he’s not under the influence of the hallucinogen, because he is. However, I don’t believe what he said to you are the ramblings of a mad man. It sounds more like your son was attempting to deal with some rather painful issues. It would be interesting to find out exactly what went on between Jarod and Lyle this afternoon. Introspection is not a very healthy thing to be doing while one is, shall we say, stoned,” the psychiatrist said glancing over at Jarod.

“Anyway, like Onisius, Jarod was very committed to helping the weak and abused, while he continued to search for his family. I’m afraid what Jarod has been through has some what shattered the fragile image of himself, he’d labored so diligently to piece together since his initial escape from the Centre. Now that your family is being reunited, you’ll have the awesome task of helping your son gain insight into who he really is and what his real place is in the world. But, let me warn you, after all he’s been through, he’s going to need unconditional love, patience, and understanding to recover emotionally from his ordeal.”

Jarod’s dad fell silent, considering what Jarod’s mentor had said.

“There’s so much I don’t know about my own son,” he said, letting out a long sigh, as he looked sadly across the aisle. “I had no idea what he was talking about. How on earth am I going to be able to help him?”

“You already have, more that you know. I really don’t think he would have made it this far, without you being there. Family means everything to him.”

“Major, I know you’re frightened that your son may lapse into deep psychosis again. But I assure you, Jarod appeared completely rational when I spoke with him and displayed no evidence of any serious emotional difficulties at this time. I’ll know more about his mental state after he’s completely down from the drug and has time to rest and take in some nourishment. But, the reason he appears so unfocused right now is he’s completely exhausted, still has the hallucinogen in his system, and was given a pretty hefty dose of Valium.”

“Do you have any idea of what his chances are? I mean, do you think that Jarod will be able to recover from this?”

“I’d say his prognosis for a full recovery is very good, in light of the amazing progress he’s made this past week. Fortunately, Jarod seems to be coming out of this latest ordeal remarkably intact,” he said, glancing over at Parker and Jarod, to see what they were laughing about.

“She’s good for him, you know. He’s been very attracted to her ever since she was a little girl,” Sydney said, dismayed by the look of disapproval on Jarod’s dad’s face. “Major, is something wrong?”

“I’d rather not go into it right now,” he said, realizing he was being too transparent, as his shields shot up.

*

“Jarod, stop that. You’re going to have to settle down,” she snapped, prying his hand off her knee and nudging him to sit up.

“Sorry, Parker,” he said absently, half-heartedly trying to straighten up in his seat. “Who’s idea was it to give me a tranquilizer anyway?” he asked groggily, before slumping back down in his seat and falling silent.

“Jarod, what are you thinking about?” Miss Parker asked with a hint of concern, hoping he wasn’t slipping into a more negative frame of mind.

He shook his head and gave out a long sigh, purposely avoiding eye contact.

“I almost blew Lyle’s brains out. Now, what does that say about me, Parker?”

“But you didn’t go through with it. That speaks volumes about your character. If it were me, I would have blown him away without another thought.”

Jarod gave her an unsure nod, before stifling a yawn and shifting in his chair again. He was tired of fighting to stay awake and was grateful that the hallucinogen had mostly worn off. The dull sound of the engines and the slight vibration of the plane seductively pulled him into a completely relaxed state and he willingly allowed himself to drift off to sleep.

*

“Margaret and your daughter are joining you at your cabana tomorrow morning. Have
you had a chance to tell Jarod?” Sydney asked, purposely breaking the silence between the two. He was determined not to let the Major’s obstinacy stand in the way of Jarod’s and Miss Parker’s happiness and felt this may be his last chance to try and change the stubborn man’s mind.

“No, I haven’t yet. I thought I’d wait until he came down off that drug. This is going to be very hard on her, seeing him this way.”

“You mean, hard on Margaret, or on you?” Sydney asked, pointedly.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Nothing Major. I’m sorry, please go on.”

“She doesn’t know all that’s happened to him or that he is seeing Miss Parker. God only knows what she’s going to think about that.”

“Major, what a burden it must be, being in charge of every aspect of your family’s well being. Maybe you should try to relax a little bit. I’m sure that everyone will have the other’s best interest in mind. That’s what you want for Jarod, isn’t it? That he will finally have the life that he’s been denied all these years. Maybe you should have a little faith in your wife, too. I’m sure she will see things the same way.”

“You don’t understand. I love my wife,” Major Charles said, passionately. “I don’t want her to suffer any more harm. You have no idea what this could do to her.”

“I understand that you are worried sick about your relationship with your wife after being separated from her all these years. And that you’re consumed with guilt over the murder of Kyle and what was done to Jarod. That’s why you’re being so overly protective with your remaining son. Do you really think that Margaret will hold you personally responsible for things completely out of your control? And what about Gemini? Major, you can’t go on torturing yourself. None of this was your fault. If your wife is even half the woman you say she is, I’m sure blaming you will be the furthest thing from her mind.”

The Major closed his eyes and rested his throbbing head on his hand, embarrassed at how easily the psychiatrist could see right through him.

“And what of Jarod?” Sydney asked, refusing to let up, his own parental instincts kicking in. “Are you saying he should be exempt from choosing the direction of his own life, for you and your wife’s sake? He adores Miss Parker, and will never be whole without her. Are you willing to deny him happiness after all he’s been through?”

“No, it’s just… he’s not thinking clearly right now. You know that,” he said in a harsh whisper, becoming more agitated, as he glanced over at his son.

“Don’t try to use that for an excuse. Jarod isn’t mentally ill anymore. If you hold your grasp too tightly, you are not only going to lose him, but also your relationship with the one who really loves him. They’ll get married and have children, you know. You’ll be cutting yourselves off from the joy of your life. Think about it, Major. You have so much to lose.”

“He’s too vulnerable.”

“Maybe, but he’s a grown man.”

“He’s not even completely well yet. I’m afraid for him.”

“Yes, we often are for our children.”

Major Charles shook his head wearily and ran his hand over his careworn face. “I really don’t feel like talking anymore.

“Of course, Major. Forgive me, you must be completely exhausted.”

Jarod’s dad leaned back and rested his head heavily against the back of the seat. “You need to understand, Sydney, I just want what’s best for my family.”

“I’m keenly aware of that, Major,” Sydney said, trying to ignore the sting of his words. It really hurt him knowing his time as a father figure and primary caregiver to Jarod was quickly coming to an end. “I do hope you can find it in your heart to give him the emotional support he so desperately needs right now, as he embarks on his new life as a free man. We’ve already had our chance at life, Major. Now it should be Jarod’s turn.”

*

Nearing Yellowbird Island
9:35 PM

Sydney said something quietly to the Major, then left his seat to talk to Jarod, who had just apparently awakened.

“Jarod, we’re all going to grab a quick bite to eat before we retire to our new accommodations. You might want to take this now,” he said proffering one of Jarod’s appetite stimulants and a bottle of water. “I was told you’ve had nothing to eat today.”

“I’m completely exhausted, Sydney. I’d rather go directly to bed,” he said, waving him off and aborting his attempt to stifle a yawn.

“Jarod, we’ve talked about this before, remember. You’ve got to keep up your strength. You won’t have to have a complete meal, but you know you need to have something,” he said quietly, trying not to embarrass the young man.

The pretender gave in grudgingly and accepted the water and pill, knowing he was probably right. Remembering to take care of himself, still wasn’t coming naturally at all.

“Oh, by the way, Jarod, your father wants to talk to you.”

“Father, oh, um, sure,” the pretender said groggily, exchanging glances with Miss Parker, before getting up. “What is this all about?’ he questioned, still very disoriented.

“Don’t worry, Jarod, everything is just fine. Go ahead and take my seat,” he said motioning for him to sit down. “He’s all yours, Major.”

*

“How are you feeling, Son?” his dad asked, eyeing him curiously, realizing he was still half asleep.

“Oh, um I think the hallucinogen finally wore off, if that’s what you mean,” he said, rubbing a hand over his eyes.

“Jarod, I owe you an apology. I’ve been completely unfair with you. No one told me whether or not I should marry Margaret, and I have no right to dictate to you how you should live your life. I’m sorry. If you think Miss Parker is the one, I’ll welcome her with open arms. I just want you to be happy.”

“Marry? Um, I guess you saw the ring,” he said shyly, hesitating before raising his eyes to look at his father.

“The ring? Actually, no. I came across the little box it came in by accident, when I was on the phone in your bedroom earlier today. It wasn’t hard to figure out the rest. I’m sorry that I made it impossible for you to tell me.”

“Dad, I don’t know what to say.”

“Jarod, listen to me. Your mother and sister are arriving in the morning. I want you to feel free to tell them the good news.”

Jarod’s eyes lit up and his whole demeanor changed as his dad’s words began to register

“Mom and Emily?” he managed, completely unprepared for the news, his eyes suddenly glistening with tears. Leaning forward, he buried his face in his hands for a moment, until he was able to regain his composure.

“Jarod, are you all right? I didn’t mean to…”

“I’m fine, Dad. Sorry, things just seem a little bit overwhelming right now.”

“You don’t have anything to apologize for. I’m pretty overwhelmed myself,” he said with a slight chuckle, resting his hand on his son’s arm. “Jarod, there’s been far too much tragedy and suffering in your life. It’s time for you have some real happiness. I hope Parker is the one to give it to you. You have my blessings,” the Major said with tears in his eyes.

Jarod fell silent, his unsure brown eyes searching his father’s face, hoping he was being completely honest with him.

“I don’t understand. What caused you to change your mind?” Jarod asked.

“Sydney helped me realize a few things about my self, that needed a serious readjustment.”

“He’s good at that isn’t he,” Jarod said, nodding slightly with a knowing look.

*

“Please remain seated and fasten your seatbelts. We’re starting our final decent to Yellow Bird Island. We should be arriving in 5 minutes. Skies are clear; temperature 85 degrees, light winds at 5 mi. per hour.”

***


The Laughing Gull Inn
11:13 PM

“Do you care for any dessert, Sir?”

“No thank you, just some more coffee,” Agent Malone said, offering the waitress his cup.

“To answer your question, Jarod, we didn’t know what was going on, until the envelope from Meisser arrived this afternoon. “We should have been informed immediately after Jerry was shot, but there was some kind of snafu in communications. Unfortunately that gave Lucas’s men almost enough time to get you out of the country,” Bailey said with regret, painfully aware of how traumatic the whole thing had been on the poor guy.

“Jarod paused for a moment thoughtfully considering what he had said. “Is Agent Meisser going to be all right?” he asked, with honest concern, grateful for Bailey’s willingness to brief him on everything that had gone on.

“Surgery went remarkably well. He has a good chance.”

“All right, boys. We’ve got some kids over here who probably should already be in bed. I don’t know about you, but I’d really like to call it a day,” Miss Parker said, masking her concern about Jarod, who had almost fallen asleep during dinner and was obviously fading fast.

“I’m with you Miss Parker, I…I mean, I sure am ready for bed,” he said, suddenly glancing from Jarod to Miss Parker, with horror in his eyes. “M Miss Parker..I …I didn’t mean…I… I just meant alone in my own bed… alone…”

“Broots!”

“Come... come on Debbie, let’s wa…wait in the car,” he said totally humiliated, mentally kicking himself, as he hurriedly guided his daughter out of the restaurant.

“What’s the matter with Mr. Broots and Debbie, Dad?” Gemini asked with a puzzled look, as he watched them suddenly leave.

“I don’t know son, maybe they’re in a hurry to go home.”

Sydney couldn’t help but feel sorry for the understandably embarrassed computer Tec for his Freudian slip. He’d had had a crush on Miss Parker for a very long time and her engagement to Jarod had been a great disappointment to him. Glancing over at Parker with an amused grin on his face, the psychiatrist was rewarded with one of her most exasperated looks, as she turned to Jarod who had fallen asleep.

*

Restaurant Entrance
Moments later…

“Oh, I’m so sorry Miss. I guess I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going. Are you all right?” Broots asked, suddenly taking a good look at perky brunette staring at him.

“Lindsey? Is that you?”

“Oh my gosh, Broots. I heard you were going to be here, but I never imagined I’d literally bump right into you. Is this your daughter? She’s beautiful.”

“Yes, this is Debbie. Debbie, I’d like you to meet my old college swee…um, fr…friend, Lindsey. You knew I was going to be here? Na no one is supposed to know that. How did you…”

“I’m CIA, Broots,” she said proudly. “Remember in college, how I always said I would be board stiff working in some stuffy corporate office as a computer technician. Well, I’ve got to tell you, this is anything but boring.”

“I.. I’d settle for anything safe and boring about now.”

“I’m sorry Broots. I heard a little about what you’ve been through. Are you alright? You look like you’ve really been through the ringer,” Lindsey asked, obviously concerned.

“Oh, well, um, I probably look worse than I really am. It’s been a long day,” he said perking up substantially, glad that she still seemed to care. “Say, I was wondering, ma maybe we could ha have dinner or something together. For old times sake, I mean,” he hurriedly added, not wanting to be presumptuous. “That is, if you’re not married or anything.”

“I was hoping you’d ask. I was married a long time ago, but like you, that’s all water under the bridge,” she said, cringing when she saw the surprised look on his face. “Oh, I’m sorry. I couldn’t help myself; I read your file,” she confessed, blushing fiercely.

“They have a file on me?” Broots asked curiously.

“Yeah, pretty impressive stuff. I always knew you were some kind of computer genius,” she said with a flirtatious smile.

“Genius, well, um, I don’t know about that,” Broots said distractedly, as he watched the others he was with, file out the door. “I’ve got to get going. Do you have a number where I can get in touch with you?”

“Just a moment,” she said, digging in her purse and pulling out a card to scribble on. “Here’s my work and home phone numbers. I’d really love it, Broots, if you’d give me a call.”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that. Um, just let me get settled. Well, um, I really need to go. Everyone’s waiting. Gosh Lindsey, well, um, I’ll see you later. Bye.”

***

The Charles’ ocean front cabana
4:00 AM

Jarod stirred from a restless sleep, moaning softly, as he surfaced from a wicked nightmare. Sitting up quickly, he force his eyes wide open and hurriedly scanned the room, letting out a long sleepy sigh as the surroundings became familiar to him. Running his trembling fingers nervously though his damp hair, he left his bed and padded his way to the bathroom adjoining his room.

“You’re going to have to figure out how to avoid having nightmares, or you’re going to spoil your own honeymoon,” Jarod said with frustration, to his reflection in the mirror. Feeling rather discouraged, he stood still for a moment studying the sweat trickling down his frightened face. Then leaning over the sink, he splashed himself with cool water, enjoying its soothing effects.

After a drink of cold water, he left the bathroom and wandered out on the deck just outside his double bedroom doors. The smell of the salty brine and the brightness of the full moon shining on the beach and water assaulted his senses, sending a thrill of excitement though his weary soul.

Taking a seat in a deck chair, he slowly calmed himself, listening to the rhythmic roar of the ocean waves. After a while, he became engrossed in the dance of the shadowy palm branches swaying in the warm breeze against the starry sky. He thought for some time about meeting his mother and sister, wondering how things would go.

Feeling strangely renewed, he returned to his bedroom and slipped between the soft sheets of his bed, turning on his side. Positioning his oversized pillow the long way, he rested his head against the upper part while pulling the lower half snuggly against his chest and stomach. Feeling safe for the moment, the sleepy pretender relaxed completely and drifted off to sleep

***

The Charles Cabana
10:35 AM

Major Charles didn’t bother to wait for the car to pull into the driveway, before he flew out the door, calling out Margaret’s name. He had almost worked himself into a nervous frenzy, after receiving the phone call that they were on their way, and now this was it.

Gemini who had gotten up early, had nearly driven him crazy with questions about his new mom and sister. Major Charles was grateful that Jarod was still in bed, though, knowing he had had a restless night and was seriously deficient on sleep. Besides, it would give him a chance to get introductions with Gemini out of the way, giving Margaret and Emily some time to adjust to the idea of Jarod’s having been cloned. He absolutely adored his younger son and was sure his wife and daughter would too, though he remembered the difficulties he had gone through himself, getting used to Gemini being a clone.

*

“Margaret, Margaret, are you all right?” her husband asked, holding her so tightly she could hardly breath.

“John, you’re squeezing me to death,” she laughed through her tears, feeling her knees starting to buckle, completely overwhelmed to finally be in his arms. “I love you so much, John. I thought I’d never see you again.”

“Me too,” he said, tears streaming down his face, as he lovingly kissed her, then passionately, forgetting they were surrounded with people and standing in their front yard.

“John, you haven’t changed at all,” she said, laughing shyly and looking away.

“Dad, It’s me Emily,” his daughter said, thrilled to see how much he father loved her mother. “You two better break it up; they probably have ordinances against public display in this town.”

“Always the comedian. Come here, sugar,” he said reaching out to her and drawing her into a big hug. “Who gave you permission to grow up, young lady? You’re beautiful, just like your mom,” he said proudly, holding her back so he could take a good look at her.

“Gemini, get over here and meet your sister and mother,” his dad said proudly, steering the teen into center stage.

Margaret quickly took it from there, her eyes glowing with love as she whispered something in his ear then hugged him eagerly, as if he were her very own. “I’m never going to let anything happen to you ever again,” she said, through her tears, overwhelmed that she was embracing Jarod’s younger self.

Looking around and suddenly realizing Jarod was no where to be seen, as she turned back to her husband with a panic stricken look on her face.

“John! Where’s Jarod? Oh, no, where is he?” she asked becoming hysterical, as he quickly training her face on his with his massive hands.

“Calm down, Margaret. He’s right inside,” he said, hating seeing her so upset. “He, um, had a pretty restless night; He’s still asleep in bed.”

*

Not waiting for further explanation, Margaret quickly headed for the Cabana and disappeared through the door.

Once inside, she looked through every door quietly searching for her son. Right when she opened his bedroom door getting her first glimpse of his sleeping form, her husband had caught up with her and stopped her from going in.

“John, what are you doing?” she whispered harshly. “What’s wrong?”

“I just want to prepare you, first. I didn’t want to tell you over the phone, but Jarod’s had some horrible things done to…”

“Dad, thought I heard voices outside. Are mom and Emily here?” Jarod asked, groggily, stepping out in the hallway in his T-shirt and boxer shorts, coming face to face with his mom.