Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I don’t own the characters of the Pretender or the Profiler. Fox, TNT, NBC, and maybe others own the Pretender. I’m not sure who owns the Profiler, as it has been cancelled. I am merely borrowing the characters from these shows for my fanfic story. No money has changed hands. Just consider this free advertising for your show and please don’t sure me.

“Recovery is a process, not an event. Of all the things are, I think love is the greatest healing power of them all.” 2/7/’01




In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 29
by jojarod50




I 35 near 211 exit
6 miles from the Marquee Hotel
Tuesday 2:40 PM

“Oh, Jarod. Where on earth would you get an idea like that?” he asked, before it dawned on him that Jarod had gone without sleep so long, he probably wasn’t thinking straight.

“I would never say such disturbing things to your mother,” he said gently, trying to reassure his anxious son. “I only told her what I thought would help her understand what you’ve been through. You know, to kind of prepare her.”

Jarod leaned back heavily against the car seat and closed his eyes.

“Surely you weren’t expecting me to try and keep Margaret and Emily in the dark about this?” he asked, knowing how desperately his son wanted to spare them any pain.

“I don’t know,” Jarod said quietly, letting out a deep sigh and looking away.

“Son, listen to me. Everything is going to be all right. Your mother is a very strong woman. Your sister is, too. We’re your family. Please try not to worry so much…,” his dad said, pausing, as he noticed Jarod’s head starting to droop, realizing he was falling asleep.

With only a token amount of sleep in the last day and a half, the Major couldn’t fathom the inner-strength it must have taken for his son to begin working though the overwhelming emotions accompanying the resurfaced memories of all the atrocities inflicted on him. Memories that were so abominable that he had suffered amnesia because of them.

The last thing he had expected was for Jarod to be so happy and anxious to see them when they picked him up from the hospital. There seemed to be some kind of transformation definitely happening to him. Yet, like a moment ago, the darkness seemed to envelop him again. He was understandably concerned about the repercussions of his past on his family, but he knew it ran much deeper than that.

The Major was grateful that Sydney had explained to him, that his son’s moods would fluctuate frequently and many times dramatically, as a normal part of the healing process. He said the only need for immediate intervention would be, if Jarod began an obvious downward spiral into self-destructive behavior and extreme withdrawal again, but said he wasn’t expecting anymore reactions that extreme.

The sunlight shining through the back window accentuated his son’s deep-set eyes and gaunt looking face. Reaching in his pocket, the Major fingered the bottle of appetite stimulants Sydney had prescribed for Jarod, feeling somehow comforted by the rattle of the pills. Hopefully, his son was really going to recover now.

Instinctively, he glanced out his window again, scanning the heavy traffic for anything out of the ordinary, not able to shake the feeling that Centre operatives could still be out there.

Forcing himself to try and relax, the Major shifted in his seat, wishing he could turn off his over active mind. He was worried about how Jarod was going to react when he told him about his pointed conversation with Miss Parker.

Studying his sleeping son again, he felt a pang of guilt, knowing the last thing he needed was his overprotective father interfering with their relationship. But, what about the rest of the family? It seemed like a no win situation. The more he thought about it, the more he wished he’d stayed out of the whole thing.

Glancing over at Gemini, he noticed he was glued to his window, excitedly taking in the sights and sounds of all the every day things that were a new adventure for him. Hopefully, Gemini would help his older brother revive his own passion for living.

* * *

The Marquee Hotel
Room 629
5:18 PM

“I just checked on him a few minutes ago and he’s awake.”

“I’m pretty sure that he had one of those horrible nightmares, but he denied it, saying he just didn’t want to spend anymore time sleeping until tonight. He also mentioned something about wanting to look up a few things on the net. I have no idea what that’s all about.”

“Thanks for reminding me. I’ll give it to him in just a little bit. That’s one tablet a half-hour before meals, right? OK, I’ll call you back later, Sydney,” the Major said, hanging up the phone as Jarod entered the room.

“Sydney’s checking up on me already? I thought he’d at least give me until tomorrow,” he said, losing his smile.

“Jarod, how are you feeling? If you want to talk…”

“Dad, I’m fine. Please don’t worry about me. If I need to talk, you’ll be the first to know,” he said, suddenly yawning. “Where’s my brother?”

“I don’t know. He was here a minute ago. He better not have gone back to the vending machines. In the short amount of time you’ve spent with him, Jarod, his sweet tooth has taken on a life of its own, and I’m holding you personally responsible.”

“Just trying to integrate him into the joys of the real world, dad,” Jarod said, grinning, as he turned and started toward the computer to boot it up.

“Wait a minute, son, I almost forgot, these are for you,” he said, tossing him a bottle of pills. “Sydney prescribed them for you. I thought you’d want to take one now, before we head on out for dinner,” he said, trying not to make a big deal out of it.

Jarod glanced at the label and blushed fiercely. “Thanks, dad.” Turning away, he headed toward the kitchenette for something to drink, trying hard not to let it bother him.

*

“Hi,” Gemini said, coming up from behind making him almost spill his water.

“So there you are. I was wondering where you went,” Jarod said, quickly washing down his pill and shoving the bottle into his pocket, hoping he wouldn’t ask about it.

“You know the candy bar machine down the hall,” he whispered conspiratorially, reaching into his pockets and pulling out a bunch of Butterfingers. I needed to replenish our stash, now that you’re home.”

Jarod broke into a big smile and laughed. “Ah, a sweatshirt with big pockets. You better put those away before dad catches you with them. He’s on to you, and he’s blaming me for it.”

“Too late. I heard everything. Jarod, I can’t believe you’re encouraging him, after what I just said to you. And you, Gemini, were told not to get any more of those things, without asking me first,” he said, trying to hide his amusement, as he looked from one guilty face to the other.

“Gemini? That’s a Centre subject/project name. Why haven’t you given him a new one?”

“Well, we talked it over and decided to let mom help choose my name. Of course I get to make the final choice,” Gemini said, glancing over at his dad, his eyes dancing with mischief.

“You see, I never gave up hope that we would all be together some day, and on Saturday we will,” Major Charles said, with a slight tremble in his voice, betraying his profound emotions.

“Hey, I hope you’re hungry. Agent Meisser is taking us to “Sweet Bessy’s Trawler” for all you can eat hot spicy boiled shrimp. He’s picking us up in 20 minutes.”

Jarod smiled and looked at Gemini, who had a blank look on his face, and then back at his dad.

“Is it good?”

“I sure think it is. If either of you don’t like it, you can order something else. Just consider this a new adventure.”

“Um, dad, could I talk with you for a moment. It’s about Parker and Broots.”

“I need to go do something. Just call me when it’s time to go,” Gemini said, seizing the opportunity to hide his contraband.

*

“I don’t know, if now is such a good time. Why don’t we talk about it tomorrow, after you’ve had a good nights sleep,” the Major said nervously, glancing at his watch. “Besides, it’s almost time to go.”

“You just said we had 20 minutes,” Jarod said, obviously puzzled, as he studied his father’s worried face. “How much time could this possibly take? Is something wrong?”

The Major put his hands in his pockets and walked into the living room, wishing he could get out of this conversation, knowing his son was going to be upset.

“Well…you know, um, you’ve been unstable for so long, with all the nightmares, flash backs, and then the alcohol abuse. And on top of everything else, you broke down last night, when your memories about the torture and hallucinations came…”

“I didn’t have a break down, Dad, I was enraged. That’s a perfectly normal reaction.”

“Son, you did have a break down. What do you call the last 8 weeks?” he said, knowing how uncomfortable he was making his son, but not knowing how else to put it. I’m not trying to be cruel, but look at your wrists. It hasn’t even been long enough to have the stitches out. And I just brought you home from the substance abuse wing at St. Matthews hospital, where we had you admitted, so you could dry out. Jarod, you’re still trying to deal with horrible things.”

“I’m sorry for all I’ve put you through,” Jarod said quietly, crossing his arms protectively and turning away, feeling terribly ashamed. “Why are you bringing this up now? I really am better, I promise.”

“I know that, Jarod. You have nothing to apologize for. I was just trying to let you know why I said what I did.”

“What do you mean by that?” he asked, unsure if he really wanted to hear any more.

“Jarod, I know you’re not a child, but I just want what’s best for you. You going to need time to get back on your feet, you know, to sort things out. Once you’re thinking clearer you may not even…”

“Thinking clearer? I am thinking clearer, but I ‘m starting to wonder about you. You’re the one having trouble answering a simple question.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything at all, but when I saw those former operatives coming down the hall, I was worried they would set you off again.”

“Former Operatives? Is that how you view Parker and Broots? I happen to be in love with one of those, so called former operatives. I’m confused here. I’ve thought all along that you understood that they were coerced into trying to retrieve me. Parker’s the only one I’ve ever…Oh no. What have you done?”

“I, um, told Miss Parker it might be best if she didn’t see you right now. I didn’t say she couldn’t, after all, you’re a grown man, but…”

“I can’t believe this,” Jarod said, trying to keep his voice steady. “You think I’m so mentally incompetent, that you have to protect me from myself?”

“Wait a minute, Jarod. I never said I think you’re still having mental problems, but…”

“I think that’s exactly what you meant,” Jarod shot back, feeling suddenly nauseous.

“No, that’s not right at all. I just was wanting Miss Parker to give you some breathing room, so you wouldn’t find yourself rushing into anything before you’re really better. Besides, this isn’t just about you. Haven’t you ever thought about how your mother will feel when she finds out you’ve been seeing the woman who spent 4 years trying to drag you back to that hideous place? I just felt she’s been through enough, without having to deal with this the moment she gets here. Or, maybe I should apologize to you for getting involved. You tell me what’s the right thing to do. I really don’t know anymore.”

Jarod fell silent, his eyes wandering from his dad’s pained expression to the carpet on the floor. Slowly turning away, he walked over to the sofa and sat down.

“I had no idea you felt this way. Why didn’t you talk to me about this before now?”

“I couldn’t, son, you were too sick.”

“Dad, please don’t ever do anything like that again.”

“I won’t. I probably shouldn’t have talked to her in the first…”

“No, not that. Please don’t ever hide your true feelings from me again. Like you said, we’re a family now.”

“Jarod, are you all right? This is really bad timing. I never intended on discussing…”

“That’s alright. It was my choice. I’m glad to get this out in the open. Could we finish talking about this tomorrow? I’m just too tired to deal with it any more right now. Ok?”

“Sure. Where are you going?”

“I’m going to call Parker,” he said, turning to go back to his bedroom.

Major Charles fell silent as he watched him go. He wished to God , that they hadn’t had that conversation, knowing without a doubt, he’d just overwhelmed his exhausted son.
Moments later…

“Parker? This is Jarod.”

“Jarod. I thought you weren’t going to be calling.”

“I’m so sorry. This took me completely by surprise. Give me some time to talk to my dad. I’m sure he’ll come around. Parker…I’ve really missed you.”

“You sound so tired. Are you all right?”

“Yeah… finally. How are you doing? You sound stressed out.”

“Surviving. I got a phone call a little while ago, from one of the big wigs in charge of the Centre investigation. I have to undergo more questioning on Thursday.”

“That’s too bad. I thought they already had all the information they needed for now.”

“Apparently not. It’s so surreal testifying against my own father.”

“Maybe he’s not. Remember the music box of your mother’s and her visits to the bed and breakfast owned by Ben Miller? And the way your birthday correlated with her visits? Have you ever given that any more thought?”

“I don’t want to deal with that right now, Jarod. You know, you don’t sound at all like I thought you would. I heard you were having a very difficult time.”

“You heard that from my father, didn’t you?”

“No, actually I overheard a conversation between Sydney and another doctor.”

“Well, that’s dated information. Besides needing to get some serious sleep, I’m just fine. How about getting together tomorrow evening? I promise to make up for what my father put you through.”

“Hmmm, you’re starting to sound interesting. Are you sure you’re up to it?”

“Well, if you give me half a chance, you may find out,” he said, in a low sexy voice. “How about 6:30pm?”

“All right, but be sure to get plenty of rest, before you come. I don’t want to find myself watching TV or something, while you sleep.”

“Come on, Parker, I’ve never done anything like that to you. I better go. Dad and Agent Meisser are taking us out for some boiled Crustaceans of some kind.”

“Yummy. See you tomorrow night, Jarod.”

“Goodnight, Parker.”

* * *

Jarod reentered the other room with a relieved look on his face, obviously extremely pleased about the way the call went.

The Major gave his son a curious look, but kept quiet.

“I hope that didn’t take too long. Is Agent Meisser here?”

“You’re fine, Jarod. Meisser is meeting us in the lobby. You still feel up to it? I know I upset you.”

“I’m not that fragile, Dad. Besides, I’m afraid nothing could ruin my appetite, after that pill I took,” Jarod said with a gentle smile, trying to let his dad know he wasn’t upset any more.

Gemini, it’s time to go. Better grab your jackets, it’s supposed to rain tonight,” he said, as his younger son entered the room.

* * *

Sweet Bessy’s Trawler
Restaurant waiting area
6:05 PM

“I see you’re interested in the lobsters. Would you like to pick one out, Sir?”

Jarod looked up from the tank of morose looking lobsters forming a pile in the back against the glass.

“Let me get this straight. Hungry patrons actually pick from these live lobsters and have them killed for their dinner?”

“Boiled. Yeah, that’s the idea,” the hostess said with a seductive grin, obviously debating whether or not he was pulling her leg or flirting with her.

“No, I’d rather not. Why don’t you ask my brother? He might not think this is as cruel as I do.”

“Don’t bother, I’d rather see you let them go.”

“Excuse me,” she said, feeling she’s been had, as she walked off.

“Jarod, Gemini, our table’s ready. I hope you’re really hungry. This is all you can eat.”

* * *

The Marquee Hotel
Room l26
6:15 PM

“What?”

“M Miss Parker, I hope you don’t mind me c calling. This is Broots.”

“You don’t say.”

“Cou could I ask you something sort of personal?”

“My aren’t we bold tonight. I didn’t know you knew how to ask that kind of question,” she said, enjoying toying with him.

“Miss Parker, you know that’s not what I meant. I just wa wanted to know if you were asked to undergo more questioning on Thursday, I mean, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“How did you know, Broots?”

“I didn’t. I’ll take that as a yes. I ha have to, too. What do you think it means? I mean, are we going to jail?”

“Broots I think that would have already happened to us, if it were going to.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right; at least that would make sense. The agent who called me said they would be bringing Debbie here on Saturday. Can you believe it?”

“That’s good, Broots. I’m really happy for you.”

“Say, have you eaten yet? I’d like to kinda go out and celebrate getting Debbie back, and I really don’t think it’d be much of a celebration alone.”

“What about that cute little waitress that was flirting with you the other day?”

“No, she doesn’t even know Debbie or what we’ve been through. I’d rather go with you.”

“Ok, Broots. It would be nice to get out of here for a while.”

“Have you heard anything more about Jarod.”

“He’s holding his dad hostage with a gun to his head, as we speak”

“Oh my God!”

“That was a joke.”

“Well, it wasn’t funny at all, especially considering the severe psychological problems he’s had. Is he going to be all right, n now that he’s remembered everything?”

“I’m sorry, Broots, I shouldn’t have said that. I’m having a little attitude problem with Major Charles right now. I over heard that Jarod was having an extremely difficult time dealing with his anger, and that remembering his hallucinogenic trip almost sent him over the edge. But when I talked to him a while ago, he sounded completely normal to me.”

“He’s a pretender. How could anyone know what’s really going on with him?”

“Good question, Broots. He’s not that good at deception when it comes to this. I think he’s really doing all right.”

“Boy that’s a relief. I really feel sorry for him. His world has been a living hell.”

“Careful, Broots. We’ve been over this before. He’d rather die then have anyone feel sorry for him. In fact, he’s still kicking himself around for letting himself be recaptured twice by the Centre.”

“Thanks for the reminder. Say, I’m really starving. How about if I come by in about 10 minutes?”

“Make it 15 and you have a deal.”

* * *

Sweet Bessy’s Trawler Restaurant
7:38 PM

“Was everything all right?” the waitress asked, as she placed the desert display tray on the tripod.

“The shrimp were very good, especially with the cocktail sauce. But if you don’t mind my saying so, I think they would have been more appetizing if the cook had removed the shell covering the abdomen, along with the jointed appendages and fan like tail.”

“Jarod, where would be the fun in that?” Agent Meisser joked, completely captivated by the genius’s child like ignorance about the world he and his clone would now be a part of.

“Would anyone care for dessert? Our specialty tonight is English toffee cheese cake.”

“I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m stuffed,” the Major said, tossing his napkin on his plate.

“Me, too,” Gemini said, seemingly preoccupied with something at another table.

They look very good. Next time, I’ll be sure to order one before my meal.”

“I think we’ll just take the check now,” Agent Meisser said, with a pleasant smile, intending to give the waitress a big tip for gracefully dealing with his unusual dinner guests.

“Hey Jarod,” Gemini said in a loud whisper, jabbing his brother in his ribs to get his attention. “Those two were just served lobsters.”

“I could have gone all night without you pointing that out,” Jarod winced, giving their plates a quick glance. A loud clap of thunder rattled the windows at their booth, as the lights flickered, startling him and bringing back unwanted memories of the plane crash and his escape

* * *

Marquee Hotel loading zone
8:18 PM

“Thanks again, Agent Meisser,” the Major said loudly, as the heavy rain pelted the car.

“My pleasure, Major. When should I drop by and pick you up tomorrow, Jarod?”

“You really don’t need to bother. I could take a cab.”

“Jarod, I’ve been assigned to you and your family, remember? Besides, it’s been a while since I’ve gotten to talk with you one on one.”

“I appreciate it. I see Sydney at 1:00,” he said, nervously rubbing his neck, as a bolt of lightening streaked across the black sky, causing another loud clap of thunder.

“I’ll pick you up at 12:30. Good night everyone. Better make a run for it or you’ll get soaked.”

* * *

Room 629 Moments later…

“I think I’ll get out of these wet clothes and just go to bed,” Jarod said, trying to hide the fact that he was suddenly starting to feel like he was coming unglued.

“I thought you said, you’d watch ‘The Bride of Frankenstein’ with me,” Gemini said, obviously disappointed. “In fact, you said, you wanted to see if she looked anything like Parker.”

Jarod, you look completely exhausted. Go ahead and go to sleep. Gemini, there’ll be plenty of time for you two to watch those grade b horror movies. I’m glad you’re home, son. Don’t worry about getting up early. Sleep as late as you want.”

“I’m sorry, Jarod. I forgot you hadn’t had much sleep. Try not to dream about lobsters.”

“Thanks, Dad. Good night Gemini,” Jarod managed, knowing he was starting to have an anxiety attack, as he tried to get out of sight, before it was too late.

Room 629 b

Jarod shut the door quickly and locked it, struggling to catch his breath as everything sped up and went out of control. Falling back against the door, he started hallucinating. The walls around him turned sickly green and started to curl at the top.

“Please, God, don’t let this happen,” Jarod choked, as he staggered to the bed.

Barely making it before he collapsed, he fought the onslaught of the hideous hallucinogenic flashback that was rapidly overtaking him and lost. He fell back against the mattress and gripped the bedspread with his fists unwilling to give in to the inevitable.

Somewhere between the shadows of terror and exhaustion, he eventually fell into a deep sleep. A temporary reprieve from the battle for recovery he would wage again tomorrow.