Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The Pretender characters in this story don't belong to me - They belong to NBC, etc. I'm just borrowing them - I'm getting no money for this story. It is written for my own myself and others who would like to read it.

This is a fan fiction story, which merely borrows the Pretender characters - this is just for fun for me and anyone who would like to read it. I am not getting paid and have no money so please don’t sue me! I’m just an extreme Pretender fan! Author’s note – this story was conceived this summer in answer to the season 3 final episode – Donoterase.

Please read part one and two before you read this or it may be very confusing.*



In Pursiut Of Happiness
Part 3
by jojarod50




4:00 a.m.: Gardner Reese Medical Center: It had been 12 excruciating hours since the trauma team had taken Miss Parker out of her distraught father’s arms, strapped her on the waiting gurney and wheeled her through the automatic doors into the Emergency room. She had immediately been whisked to the operating room leaving Mr. Parker, Sydney and Broots with the hardest part - the waiting and praying.

Amazingly, Miss Parker had undergone successful surgery. The bullet had been removed and the surgeons were able to repair most of the damage done by Willie’s high - powered rifle and now the rest was up to her. She had undergone several transfusions but because of what Jarod had done for her, the blood loss had not been enough to kill her. She was now in ICU where Mr. Parker had been the only one allowed to see her.

Broots was a nervous wreck. He had taken up pacing about two hours ago and was driving Sydney nuts! The Psychiatrist was already beside himself, waiting for his chance to head back to the Centre.

„Broots, come over here, please." The urgency in Sydney’s voice was obvious.
Broots hurried over, coffee in hand, and spilled some on the rug in front of the other man’s chair.

„Oh, um, I I’m sorry. I feel like I’m all over the Place."

„You are Broots. Please calm down. Miss Parker is out of surgery now. The worst is over. "He gave him a reassuring smile. „I need for you to call your friend in the Centre Lab again and see if you can find out anything about Jarod." Worry was written all over his face.

„Oh, yeah, well sure."

As Broots talked on the payphone, Syd rose and went to meet Mr. Parker who had just entered the waiting room. He looked pale and drawn but when he saw Sydney he flushed and gave him a hard look.

„We’re going back to the Centre now. I’m having my daughter transferred to a small clinic someplace out of the way and hard to find, as soon as she’s out of recovery. Get Broots." he said as he headed for the door. He had a score to settle and he was ready to collect. Syd headed over to Broots who was still on the telephone.

„Broots, we have to go now."

Broots looked away from the man, who had been the closest thing to a father Jarod had ever know, as he hung up the phone.

„I got a hold of my friend in the lab. Jarod is in a lot of trouble." He went down the list of drugs Mr. Raines had ordered just a few hours ago. Sydney swore under his breath as the two hurried for the door.

„Did he say anything else?"

„He said rumor has it, that they dragged Jarod down the hall in plain sight of everyone like he was some kind of trophy and took him to SL. 27 where they beat the crap out of him and God only knows what else. He also said, at about 4:00 a.m., sweepers wheeled Jarod, unconscious, on a gurney up to the heli -pad site, where they transported him somewhere."

„My God!" was all Sydney could say as they hurried out the exit doors and to the waiting town car.

** *

The rain had not let up. In fact, it was raining harder as William and Joe flew down the road with Jarod passed out on the backseat of the car. Joe had used William’s cell phone to report to the Trenton Police Chief, with his sketchy information about what had happened at the crash site. He explained about hearing gunshots and screams and informed him of the injured survivor he had rescued. He told Chief Richards that he thought the survivor might have information as to who the crash victims were and who the probable assailants were.

Police Chief Richards ordered Joe to take his injured witness to Trenton Memorial Hospital and assured him that the hospital would be totally secure by the time he got there.

Joe was oblivious to the fact that he had a 45-minute jump on the sweeper team assigned to recapture Jarod. He glanced back at the John Doe in the back seat. Jarod was conscious again, crouched down on the floor with his head tucked down into his knees, breathing heavily and occasionally blurting out threats or warnings to God only knew whom. At least he was staying put.

„Say, William, why don’t you turn on some low key music. Maybe that will calm that poor fellow down until we get to the hospital."

„Yes, Sir."

„William, please call me Joe, OK?"

„Thanks"

William found a jazz station playing a light peppy tune which was a welcome diversion from the drama which was unfolding. William was edgy enough after taking a week of finals then driving home from college only to become Officer Joe’s official transportation. No one knew about the Centre tacking device Raines had implanted on Jarod, which would be activated in less than 10 minutes - The device, which would lead the sweepers directly to their location.

Morning rush hour was in full swing sending them to a grinding halt. It might have been the exasperated driver beside them leaning on his horn or the loud clap of thunder that seemed to shake the car, which set off Jarod, but regardless, Jarod went ballistic. Oblivious to his badly injured shoulder and leg, or other injuries, Jarod threw his body against the back door, screaming hysterically. Failing to get out or whatever he was trying to do, he tried to go out the back window, cramming himself up against the back windshield. Joe went over the seat and grabbed the incoherent man who frantically fought his deadly advisory, his handcuffs digging deeper into his bleeding wrists. Joe hauled the drugged man down onto the back seat and held him down firmly, trying not to damage his injured shoulder anymore than it already was. Jarod fought Joe screaming and thrashing around trying to free himself to no avail. Jarod’s tortured mind saw only a dark menacing figure grabbing him and pressing him down hard into a pile of decomposed bodies.

„My God, don’t do this to me!" Jarod whimpered with glazed eyes fixed on Joe, tears streaming down his face.
A wave of dizziness washed over Joe as he held down the battered man.

The scene inside the car did not go unnoticed by the other drivers who looked on in disbelief.

Finally, the traffic was moving again and Joe breathed a silent prayer of thanks.

William took the off ramp marked Hospital exit, and was at the emergency room doors none too soon.

„William", Joe said over Jarod’s screams, „you’re going to have to go in and let them know we’re here. Better Hurry!"

William was out of the car before he finished talking.

Shortly, 3 security policemen with their guns drawn and 4 orderlies arrived with a gurney. Transferring the hysterical man to the gurney was quite messy, but amazingly they got Jarod strapped down and into ER without losing him.

** *

It was 6:45 a.m., when Mr. Parker, Sydney and Broots finally arrived back at the Centre. Inside the Centre, everything was in an uproar. People were darting here and there as if there were a bomb scare. The scene was totally chaotic.

Part of Mr. Parker’s staff met him, as he entered the mezzanine, and followed him toward the elevator. Sydney and Broots had already taken off for Sydney’s office.

„What is it, Mark?" Mr. Parker growled giving him an exasperated look.

„Sir, you’re not going to like this."

„I already don’t like it! Get on with it!"

The elevator doors opened and the two men entered alone.

„Sir, Mr. Raines and Mr. Lyle were under a Tower directive to transport Jarod to Centre Berlin, but their plane went down near Trenton, New Jersey. We’ve sent Sweepers and Cleaners to the scene. Emergency personnel had already responded to the crash site before we could arrive."

„Tower directive! My God!" Mr. Parker couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

„Causalities?"

„Only non -essential personal."

„Containment?"

„Everything has been secured, Sir."

„Jarod?"

„Missing."

„Damn! Find him! Find him immediately or heads will roll – including yours. Got that Mark?"

„Yes Sir. We’re on it now."

„I’m going to my office and I expect an update within the hour."

Mr. Parker exited the elevator leaving Mark behind and headed for his office. He was unbelievably tired but knew sleep was out of the question now. Going to his liquor cabinet he poured himself a stiff drink -no ice – and went to his desk to sit down. The fat was in the fire, but whose. He was afraid he knew the answer. Not only had Major Charles escaped with the Centre’s prize possession, Gemini, but now Jarod was loose again, armed with enough information to bring down the Centre. At least they don’t know where my daughter is he mused glancing at his watch.

There was a loud knock at his door interrupting his thoughts.

„Come in." Mr. Parker said looking up just in time to see 2 burley Sweepers entering the room.

„Sir, we’ve been ordered to escort you to the Tower."

„Parker gave them one of his mutating smiles.

„Certainly." he said as he stood up and straightened his designer tie.

Parker walked out silently with them wishing he’d at least had time to finish his drink.

* * *

Broots and Sydney hurried down the hall toward Sydney’s office, flagging down one of the computer technicians, who were rushing past them going the other direction.

„What’s going on here, Leslie?" Sydney blurted out giving her a puzzled look.

„About an hour ago, Mr. Raines’ plane went down with Mr. Lyle and a team of doctors on board. Hey, I really have to run. We’re stilling pinning down the situation."

„Just a minute!" Sydney said grabbing her arm.

„Jarod, was Jarod on that plane?"

„Yeah, that’s part of the problem. Emergency personnel got to him before the Centre did. Sorry, Mr. Green, I really have to go now!"

„Certainly, Leslie, thanks for the information."

„Anytime." she called, as she disappeared into one of the offices down the partially lit hallway.

„Come on Broots, we have work to do," the older man said as he rushed into his office.

** *

Two security policemen were assigned to room number 8 where they had just brought the injured Jon Doe. The highly agitated man had been transferred to an examination table and immediately secured with straps. Jarod was struggling against his restraints with a terrified look on his face, as one of the attending took his vitals. A female psychiatrist spoke softly to him skillfully working to „talk him down" from what they suspected was a hallucinogen „trip".

„Get those blood samples over to the lab! I need to know what he’s on before I dare medicate him. Do a complete work up on him; type and cross match 4 units. It looks like he’s going to need surgery on that shoulder."

„Sandy, let’s get Jon Doe out of those wet clothes and into a gown before I examine him. Start him on an IV and please find someone to get those cuffs off. I’ll be right back. Oh, and get Respiratory down here to do a blood gas on him."

With that, the craggy faced doctor stepped away briefly to speak with the officer who brought Jarod in.

***

Joe was waiting right outside the door, discussing the security measures that had been put in place with Larry, the policeman in charge of that detail. He was using the standard two-tier approach: The outer corridor consisting of hospital security guards, who know the doctors and staff by name and visual ID and the inner corridor consisting of policemen, who have been specifically trained for this detail.

The ER doctor briskly approached the two men.

„Excuse me gentlemen, is one of you Lieutenant Clark?"

„I am, Sir, how can I help you?"

„ I’m Dr. Daniels, the one working on the patient you brought in. I have a question about him, if you don’t mind."

„Say, Joe, I’ve got to get back to work. Talk to you later." Putting his hat back on, Larry stepped away to give the two men privacy.

„ Dr. McDaniels, what do you need to know?"

„Did you find any drugs or drug paraphernalia on Jon Doe’s person when you found him?"

„No, nothing. I found him in the woods about like he is now."

„Are you going to be around for a while, Lieutenant?"

„Yeah, I think I will. I’d like to talk to your patient when he, you know, becomes lucid. My partner and Sergeant were at the crash site where…" Joe looked away as his words trailed off.

„I understand. I’m really sorry." The doctor spoke with genuine compassion. „ Any ID on this man?"

„No. We’re running it through right now. I’ll let you know when we have something."

„Thanks Lieutenant."

„Call me Joe."

„OK, Joe, it’s probably going to be a while before he’ll be doing any talking. It looks like he’s going to need surgery. I’ve got to go now."

And with that he was out the door.

* * *

„Well, I see our patient has calmed down, Dr. Ross."

Jarod lay on the examination table surprisingly calmer than before, though his eyes darted around fearfully from one face to another.

The red head smiled still looking at Jarod as she spoke softly „He’s much calmer than when they were changing his clothes, but there’s no guarantee that will last."

Stepping away from the patient as Dr. Daniels approached her, the psychiatrist gave her report.

„Your patient is in a semi psychotic state with both visual and auditory hallucinations. He’s also displaying paranoid thinking, is delusions, and extremely disoriented. With his high anxiety level and everything else, I recommend he be medicated."

„Thank you, doctor."

Taking a seat by Jarod, Dr. Ross spoke in a soft reassuring voice.

„This is Dr. Daniels, he wants to look at your injuries. He’s not going to hurt you."

Jarod looked from one doctor to the other, perhaps a hint of understanding flashing across his face.

„Vitals?"

Joseph handed the doctor Jarod’s chart as he spoke.

„All vitals are significantly elevated. Blood pressure is 160/95, heart rate is 110/min., respiration is 53/min., and temperature is 103 degrees. Lab reports an unknown drug present, which appears to be similar to both D.M.T. and Lysergic acid diethylamide with traces of sodium penithol."

„ Thank you, Dr. Gant. Please administer a 100 cc’s of Thorazine."

„You’re going to feel a little prick now." Joseph said as he tapped the air bubbles and pushed them out of the syringe causing a little spray. Quickly, he wiped the arm with an alcohol pad.

One look at the syringe and Jarod became hysterical, thrashing around and screaming „NNNOOOOOOOO". Hands held him firmly down as the doctor gave him the shot. In moments, Jarod lay there quietly breathing much more normally.

„All right now, let’s take a look at you." Dr.Daniels said in a non-threatening tone. Raising the gown, the doctor saw the contusions and lacerations on Jarod’s chest and abdomen from the beating he had endured. Also, he saw what appeared to be several small but severe burns down his left side.

„Joseph, what do those look like to you?" he asked pointing to the red blistered area Joseph bent down for a closer look.

„They look like candle burns to me, Sir." he said scraping at a clump of wax.

„That’s exactly what I thought." Dr. Daniels muttered as he checked the ribs quickly. „Back to the Lacerations, he’s going to need stitches on the deeper ones."

After eyeing the deep abrasions on both knees, the doctor scrutinized the deep gash on Jarod’s leg.

„We’re going to need an x-ray series on the right lower leg, shoulder, and ribs."
Dr. Daniels sighed after viewing the deep gashes around Jarod’s ankles and wrists. His eyes met his assistant’s giving him a puzzled look.

„These will need to be debreeded and stitched also."

Moving rapidly, the doctor checked the deep abrasions on each elbow and discovered several needle marks at the bend of each arm.

„Hmmm, needle marks."

Looking closely at the raw palms, he said they would need to be debreeded and possibly needed a skin graft on a portion of the right one. Turning the hands over, he noticed the crusted dry blood around the fingertips. The doctor examined them carefully, breathing out expletives under his breath.

„He has toothpick pieces jammed under his fingernails."

Dr. Daniels grimaced and mentioned he thought the Vietnam War was over.

„Could you get this man to a siting position? Hold him if you have to. I want to examine his shoulder and back."

Jarod was more like a rag doll than anything else as hands supported him while the doctor continued his grim examination.

„Looks like tendon and ligament involvement with this injured shoulder."
Examining the back of the shoulder, he noticed the bullet wound which was infected, and oozing slowly.

„This man’s been shot. Looks about a week old. This will need debreeding. The scapula appears to be fractured."

Further down the back near the backbone, Dr. Daneils eyed a sutured wound suspiciously. It appeared very swollen and some of the sutures were broken.

„Whatever this is will need to be redone." he said slitting through the rest of the stitches suddenly revealing a black microchip. Dr. Daniels gave it a hard look as he held it up to the light.

„Joseph, get this thing into the right hands immediately." He said shaking his head.

„ OK, get x-ray over here stat. Tell them to get him in and out. Line up an operating room and get him into pre-op as soon as possible. Dr. Ross, I’ll be notifying you when he’s out of recovery. God knows he’s going to need your help."

„That will be all, ladies and gentlemen." With that, he went to report the criminal assault findings concerning his patient. Jarod was whisked away to X-ray accompanied by the armed police officers.

* * *

Raines was pacing back and forth in his office. Pausing, he hunched over his computer to confirm what he had just discovered. Lyle had injected Jarod with 3 times the amount of the experimental drug he was told to use. Was it a mistake or had Lyle done it on purpose. There was a great possibility that Jarod would not recover from this.

He turned suddenly to face Willie the sweeper.

„Are your men in place?" Raines rasped eyeing him carefully as he spoke.

„Yes, Sir. Jarod will not escape this time."

„As soon as I get an update… on his condition, I will …contact you. Has your other team …located Mr. Lyle, yet?"

„Not yet, but he’s on borrowed time." The sweeper said narrowing his eyes as he remembered the last time he spoke to that arrogant fool.

„Keep me informed. Now, get back… to work. This situation….must be … resolved very quickly."