Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

This fanfic is written purely for entertainment and promotion of my favorite show, The Pretender. I am merely borrowing the characters from the TV show owned by Pretender Productions, MTM, TNT, FOX, and NBC, I think. All other fictional characters not appearing on the Pretender are mine. I don’t own the Profiler, either. Since it’s cancellation, I don’t know who owns it. Please don’t sue me, as I have no money!

This story takes place in the first 5-7 weeks after Donoterase. Please start with part 1.

The pull out was a complete success, and the undercover agents transported their weary passengers to a secured hospital for their medical evaluations. Sydney’s ambulance was no where to be seen, as he had arrived ahead of the pack.

Federal special units and ambulance crews would work well through the night, facing the enormous task of clearing out the dead bodies and moping up following the horrendous blood bath that had taken place. High-level clearance computer technicians were busy downloading the Centre’s Mainframe, while others carried out crate loads of hard copy material and a stockpile of DSAs. 10-2-2000 edited 4/17/01



In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 24
by jojarod50




St. Matthews Memorial Hospital
12:03 AM Saturday
Room 511

Sydney was grateful to be the first to be examined and taken immediately to his secured room on the 5th floor. He was exhausted beyond belief and was looking forward to laying down flat without being moved again. His sutures held up fine, but the pain of being upright for so long had been almost unbearable to deal with so soon after surgery.

Though he was happy the Centre had finally been brought down, he couldn’t help but feel a certain element of dread, knowing how far- reaching the Centre had been. And of course, there was the issue of what kind of legal mess he’d probably find himself in when the actual debriefings were started tomorrow.

After getting settled in his hospital room, a young nurse gave him something for the pain, and he found it very easy to drift off to sleep. He was worried about how Jarod would handle all the questioning about his ordeal, and hoped they would go easy on him, considering his fragile state. But all thoughts of him and the others faded into the back ground, as he gradually feel asleep

* * *

Emergency Room
12:05AM

Jarod and the others were dropped off at the back door to the Emergency Room where Dr. Meisser, Bailey, John, Sam, Joe and Gemini and a myriad of agents met them.

“Jarod, thank God you’re all right,” his father said holding him in a strong embrace, both relieved to finally be reunited.

Bailey and Sam stepped up to the two to congratulate them and tell they how relieved they were that they all got out safely. But when Jarod turned around, it was all they could do to keep from gasping in shock at the condition he was in. He was nothing like the young man they had worked with. He was so haggard and underweight. Even his coloring was bad. They both had read about all he had been through, but that had not prepared them for this.
Jarod was so happy to see them until he caught the look on their faces they were trying so hard to cover up.

“Bailey, Sam, nice to see you again. From what I’ve heard, you were deeply involved in getting us out,” Jarod said trying to ignore their stares and the sympathy on their faces. He knew he looked bad, but wished everyone would quit being shocked by his appearance. He had always been able to handle anything that came his way before, and now he felt humiliated and embarrassed for getting himself into a situation totally beyond his control.

“Jarod, I’m so sorry…,” Sam said, momentarily distracted, as if she were profiling him again.

“Sam, don’t, please,” Jarod cautioned, rubbing his hand over his eyes, hating how she had an innate ability of getting into his head.

“Jarod there’s counseling available. We could get you started tomorrow,” she said, fully aware of the brutal torture he had gone though and his intense psychological problems from the cruel hallucinogen overdose.

“Um, would you excuse me, Sam, I need to find Miss Parker. Have you seen her?”

“Last time I saw her she was talking to one of the agents.”

Jarod looked away hurriedly, seeing if he could spot her. He knew she had been held down in the renewal wing, and he’d been worried sick. Turning around he was shocked to see his younger self, Gemini, running toward him.

“My God, Gemini, it’s you,” he said, totally overwhelmed to see him again.

“Hi, big brother. You and dad sure know how to get yourselves in over your heads,” he joked, as he was being pulled into a loving embrace by his big brother. Major Charles watched their reaction to each other, deeply moved that they were finally a family again.

“Gemini was instrumental in shutting down the Centre defenses, so we could get you all out safely. You should be very proud of him,” Bailey said, still amazed at the boy’s extreme talents.

Jarod grinned approvingly at Gemini, thinking how ironic it was that it took his clone to help finally take the Centre down.

“Jarod,” Parker said, sounding as if she were trying to catch her breath. “Are you all right? They told me what you…”

“Parker,” Jarod said, cupping her face with his hands and looking deeply into her eyes. “I would never leave you like that. It was your brother,” he explained, trembling as he slid his arms around her, kissing her deeply, totally overwhelmed with joy. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“Sorry folks, I know it’s late, but we need to get the medical examinations out of the way, tonight. They ‘re mandatory,” Dr. Meisser said, stepping forward from the side of the room, where he had been observing the scene. “There will be plenty of time to get reacquainted with each other, but I imagine these people will all want to get some sleep as soon as possible.

“If it’s alright with you, I’ll go ahead and run Gemini over to the hotel, so he can get to bed. They’ve arranged for your family to have an extra large suite,” Bailey offered, relieved that the worst of it was over.

“I’ll wait up for you, dad,” Gemini said, anxious to spend time with his family.

“No, Son, you go to sleep. We’ll let you know when we’re home,” the Major said giving him a big hug and a pat on the back. “I’m not sure how long all of this is going to take and you need your sleep.”

“Jarod, would you please come with me? We’re ready for you now,” a squeaky clean young nurse said, giving the tired young man a pleasant smile.”

“I’ll see you soon, brother,” Jarod said, giving his clone a quick wink and a reassuring smile, before being escorted into a private examination room.

***

Examination room 10
1: 15 AM

“You’re doing just fine, Jarod,” the doctor said, wrapping his wrists in new sterile gauze. “Now try to hold still while the photographer gets some pictures of your back. Casey, get the whole back and some close-ups of his right shoulder where he had the bullet wound,” he said, pulling back Jarod’s scanty hospital gown exposing the whole back area. Very good. Now roll over on your back so we can get some pictures of your front side,” he said, draping a sheet over his lower hips before having him slip the gown off his shoulders. Casey, be sure and get a close-up of the burn marks down his lateral left side. Ok, let’s get some pictures of your legs and ankles and we’ll be all through.”

Jarod fought to keep his composure, as his naked body was subjected to the scrutiny of the photographer’s lens, wishing more that anything that he could go to his room and get some sleep. The constant flashing of the camera was starting to cause some visual irregularities and he was afraid it would trigger a flashback causing him further embarrassment.

“Ok, Jarod. Could you briefly explain to us how you got these injuries, and who did this to you?” a man with a laptop asked, while typing in the pertinent introductory data, before switching on the recorder.

* * *

St. Matthews Hospital
Emergency Room exit
1:25 AM

“Jarod? I’ve been waiting for you for so long. What did they do to you?” Major Charles asked, reading his zoned out expression.

“Oh, it was nothing, dad,” the pretender said, with a slight smile, not wanting to let him know how mortified he was and how disturbing the whole ordeal had been.

“I’ve got a car waiting outside. It’s a dark blue towncar. Why don’t you both go ahead and take a seat. I’ll drive you over in just a minute,” Dr. Meisser said, wanting to confer with the doctor taking care of Jarod. He knew this part of his examination would probably be really hard on him and wanted to make sure there weren’t any special problems during the ordeal.

* * *

The Marquee Hotel
Room 626
1:28 AM

“Miss Parker, I, um, ha happen to be ju just down the ha hall from you. I mean, if you need anything, well, just call on me,” Broots offered, running on pure adrenaline, and smitten by her bravery and incredible beauty. “I just want to say, you, um, well, I’ll see you tomorrow. Um, do you have enough ice? I could get you some, I I mean, if you wanted some.”

“Gee, Broots, how kind of you,” she said in a patronizing voice, craving to put the insanity of the night behind her. She had been picturing slipping into a hot steamy shower to wash away the indignity of the medical examination, ever since they finally got around to her.” Maybe later. Now, nighty night.”

Stepping into the doorway, Miss Parker dare think about her father and his grand accomplishment, the Centre, lying in ruins. God she needed a drink, she thought as she laid her things on her bed and dialed room service.

* * *

The Marquee Hotel
Room 629
3:33 AM

“Ahhhhhhhhhhha, stay away. Noooooo.”

“Jarod, my God, wake up. You’re having a bad dream,” Major Charles said, before taking a hard right cross to his jaw and a punch in his gut, sending him reeling to the floor.

“Stop it! Don’t you hit my father,” Gemini yelled, helping his father sit up, anger flashing across is face.

“It’s all right, son, he didn’t know what he was doing,” the Major said, grabbing the boy’s arm, stopping him from trying to punch out his brother’s lights.

“Dad, my God. What have I done?” Jarod breathed, frantically looking around the room and at his father and Gemini crouched on the floor in a defensive mode. Quickly he moved from his bed to his father’s side riddled with guilt.

“It’s all right, Jarod. You were having a nightmare. I know you didn’t mean it.”

“Are you all right?” Jarod asked, hating himself for being out of control.

“Don’t worry about it, Jarod. I’m fine. Let’s just go to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a big day,” the major said, realizing how devastated his older son was and not knowing what to do.

“I’m sorry, dad,” Jarod said, wishing he could control his nightmares and afraid for his father and Gemini. “Maybe I should get a room alone for tonight,” he said, too ashamed to meet his father’s eyes.

“Nonsense, son. Now why don’t we all go to bed? I don’t know about you, but I’m barely able to keep my eyes open. Good night Jarod. Goodnight Gemini. I’ll see you both in the morning.”

* * *

The Marquee hotel
Room 629
6:05 AM Saturday

“Hi, Major. I’m glad to see you’ve all about finished with breakfast. Jarod, let me give you your shot, and we’ll all go on over to the Federal building for your debriefings,” Dr. Meisser said walking over to Jarod, who was sitting at the table having just finished the last of his hash browns.

“Just roll up your sleeve, I don’t think you need to lie down for this,” he said, removing the syringe from his black bag along with an alcohol swab.

“I don’t understand. How am I going to keep from falling out of this chair, not to mention, undergoing questioning, if I’m doped up on this drug?”

“Relax Jarod. I had your treatment reformulated without the narcotic kicker. You ought to be just fine,” the agent said wiping his arm and delivering the shot.

“Thank you. How many more shots do I need?”

“Actually, today is your last day of being a human pin cushion,” Meisser said enjoying the look of relief on the pretender’s face.

* * *

Interrogation Room 308
Third floor FBI building
10:05 AM

“Dr. Meisser, I’m sorry to interrupt you. I’m afraid, we need you to intervene immediately. Jarod just flipped out or something. He’s wedged under a piece of furniture toward the back of the room. He’s totally hysterical and keeps saying something about not letting us carve him up again.”

“Ok, Sarah, I’ll be right there,” the doctor said, grabbing his black bag and heading for the door. “Sam, please keep an eye on Angelo until I get back.”

* * *

Interrogation Room 307
Moments later

“Jarod? It’s Dr. Meisser. What is going on? Jarod, look at me. Why don’t you come out from under that table and we’ll see what we can work out.”

Dr. Meisser looked up at Sarah with an anxious look on his face. “God, he’s completely unresponsive. What were you talking to him about?” Dr. Meisser asked the interviewer, sickened by what he was seeing.

“He was explaining to us about what Lyle and Mr. Raines did to him when he suddenly went into what looked like a mild convulsion before taking on two security guards and ending up under that table.”

“Lord have mercy. All right. Let me sedate him and we’ll take him back to his room. I can’t see putting him through any more traumas today. You’re just going to have to wait a day or two, for his testimony. This kid is far too unstable for this.”

* * *

Interrogation room 308
10:30 AM

“Angelo, is there anything you would like to tell us about your stay at the Centre?” Dr. Meisser asked, realizing that Angelo wouldn’t be able to give much information on his own
.
“Jarod in trouble. Want to leave now.”

“Angelo, Jarod is being taken care of. You don’t have to worry about him. Let’s talk a little bit more about you. I know the Centre kept you against your will. Do you know where your real home is?”

“Centre bad,” Angelo said pulling at his hair. “Sydney help. Miss Parker help. Raines bad. Hurt Angelo. Hurt Jarod.”

“Ok, I think that’s enough for now,” the agent said, shaking his head. “Angelo, Sydney wants to talk to you now. Is that ok with you?”

“Sydney good. Help Jarod and Miss Parker. Help Angelo too.”

“Fine. Sam, please take him back to the hotel and give him a nice lunch. Dr. Green offered to spend the afternoon with him He’s in room 511. My God this is a pathetic nightmare.”

* * *

Interrogation room 305
10:50 AM

“Mr. Broots, do you have anything to add to your testimony concerning the role you were coerced into playing by Mr.Rains and Mr. Parker in the retrieval to Jarod?”

“I wasn’t the only one coerced into trying to recapture Jarod. Miss Parker and Sydney’s lives were also in danger if we didn’t follow their orders. None of us really wanted to bring Jarod back. The they would have killed us if we didn’t pretend to try. Ja Jarod is the most decent person I’ve ever known. If it weren’t for him, I would have lost custody of my daughter for sure. He he really cares about people.”

“Thank you, that will be all for now. Please make yourself available for further questioning after lunch. We’ve arranged for a driver to bring you back here at 1:45 PM.”

* * *

Interrogation room 302
11:00 AM

“Miss Parker, all I asked was what your relationship with Jarod was. Surely you can enlighten me on this issue. You were brought up together at the Centre. Is this correct?”

“Yes, he was the only one, besides Angelo, even close to my age. I spent lot’s of time with him, until my father started limiting our visits.”

“Did you ever have knowledge of where he came from or that he had family out side the Centre?”

“No.”

“How did you feel when you were assigned to his retrieval after his first escape?”

“I had no choice.”

“I know that, but how did you feel?”

“I don’t know. Angry; afraid.”

“Miss Parker, were you aware of the cruelty inflicted on Jarod, after his recapture?”

“Everything done at the Centre was recorded on DSAs. After I had recuperated from my gunshot wound I returned to the Centre. I didn’t even know Jarod had escaped. Broots showed me the DSA of what had been done to him,” Miss Parker said, the words getting caught in her throat. “We both knew we had to do something to help him.”

“So you and Mr. Broots went on the run hoping to save Jarod?”

“Yeah, I guess that sums it up. Please can I go back to my room now? I’m really tired.”

“Just a few more questions, Miss Parker, before we break for lunch, if you’ll indulge me.”

* * *

The Marquee Hotel
Room 629
11:30 AM

“Gemini, go ahead and wash up. I thought it would be nice to catch a burger in the Pirate’s Cove down stairs, before this afternoon’s debriefings,” the Major said, shutting the front door. Jarod? What are you doing here? I thought you were still at the Federal Building,” he said, eyeing his son lying sprawled on the bed.

“Jarod tried to sit up and found it almost impossible to move. He could barely open his eyes and vaguely remembered being given some sort of drug, possibly a sedative, but couldn’t remember why.

“Ohh hi, dad. I’m ok. Just tired,” he slurred trying his best to enunciate his words and cover for his confusion.

“Did they let you come home early, Jarod,” he asked hoping that was all that was going on. “We were just going down for some burgers. Would you like for us to bring you something back?”

“Umm, sure dad, I’m getting up in just a minute,” he said, his eyes at ½ mast, struggling not to go back to sleep.

“He’s lying, dad.” Gemini said, as he walked over to the Major. There’s something definitely wrong. I think he’s maxed out on drugs and he doesn’t even know why.”

Major Charles looked from Gemini back over to his other son, his heart skipping a beat. “Come on son, let’s go get some lunch and let him get some sleep. We’ll talk about this later.”

* * *

Hotel Lobby
5 minutes later…

“Well, Major Charles and Gemini. I was hoping to bump into you. How is Jarod doing? I hope he’s resting comfortably.”

“What do you know about that, Agent Meisser?”

“He didn’t tell you? Well, that’s understandable considering, how strong a sedative I gave him. He must still be pretty out of it.”
“He had a severe flashback during the last part of his morning interview. I assure you that sedating him was the best thing to do, considering how hysterical he was. I was just going to check on him. I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. We’re just going to have to go slower and make sure he’s not overwhelmed like this again.”

Major Charles rubbed his hand over his face letting out a big sigh. ”I just don’t know.”

“Let me explain something to you. Because of the drugs he was given, he was unable to consciously withdrawal from what was done to him, unlike in the past when he was abused at the Centre. And with the drug overdose, he completely lost control of his defenses. It’s going to take some time to help him work through his memories of his torture and damning hallucinations. I don’t envy your son for what he is going through, but I’m sure we can help him eventually pull out of this.”

“Thank you, Meisser. No one has actually explained to me why he’s having so much trouble, aside from that fact that he was high on that hallucinogen for 5 weeks beyond what anyone thought.”

“Why don’t you all go to lunch. I know your afternoon interviews start up again soon. If you don’t mind, I’d like to check in with Jarod. As an agent, I have a master key.”

“It would mean a lot to me if you would. I just want Jarod to get better, so he can be able to enjoy the freedom he finally has.”

“Thank you Major Charles. I promise to take good care of you son.”

* * *

Room 629

“Jarod, it’s Dr. Meisser. I just talked to you father in the lobby, and he wanted me to check on you,” he said, flipping on the light.
Looking around he saw Jarod sitting in a chair, weaving back and forth slightly, his eyes trained on the door.

“Don’t you ever give me drugs again without my permission,” he slurred, his words dripping with anger.

“I want to know who I am and where I am, without ending up in a bed somewhere drugged out of my mind,” he breathed in a low menacing voice, grasping the chair arms to steady himself. “You’ve upset my father and now my brother thinks I’m a liar. What the hell is going on?” he asked, totally upset and confused. “The last thing I remember was giving testimony. I was supposed to go to lunch with my dad and brother and have another session this afternoon,” he said stumbling over his words, hampered by the sedative still threatening to put him to sleep.

“Jarod, don’t you remember? You lost it during the last part of your interview and attacked two security guards before retreating into your nightmare world. I had no choice, but to sedate you, if I were to get you out of the building and back to your room without relying on emergency personnel. I’m so sorry, Jarod,” the agent said, watching his anger mutate into despair.

“Promise me, you won’t tell my dad or my brother,” he said quietly, before cupping his head in his hand.

“I can’t Jarod. I already told them. But they’re family and they love you. They have a right to know.”

“Well, then you can also tell them that I’m fine now. I want to continue my interview this afternoon. Business as usual. Let’s get this out of the way so that I can move on.”

“I don’t know, Jarod. I don’t think that’s a good idea.’

“Get out before I throw you out,” Jarod said, desperately grasping to be in control of his life.

“Ok, Jarod. We’ll see how you do this afternoon. But if there are any more problems, I’m pulling you out of the interviews. Fair enough?”

“I’ll be ready,” Jarod said, letting out a deep breath, still trying to shake the drug.

“By the way Jarod, it’s time for your 12:00 PM shot. I need to have you roll up your sleeve.”

“Jarod closed his eyes, exasperated with the whole thing. “Ok, Dr. Meisser, get it done and get out of here now.”

“Here you go, Jarod,” the doctor said tapping the bubbles out, wiping his arm and delivering the shot. “You’ve got to know I care about you by now. Try to get some rest. I’ll pick you up at 2:00 PM, unless you change your mind. I just want you to know that I don’t think this will be a very good idea.”

Jarod sat silently propping his head up with his hand, looking down at his lap.
Dr. Meisser just shook his head and left, feeling like his patient was going to take a dive really soon, and wondering what he was going to do to prevent it.