Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

This fanfic is written purely for entertainment and promotion of my favorite show, The Pretender. I am merely borrowing the characters from the TV show owned by Pretender Productions, MTM, TNT FOX, and NBC, I think. All the other fictional characters not appearing on the Pretender are mine. I don’t own the Profiler, either. Please don’t sue me, as I have no money.

This story takes place the first 5-7 weeks following Donoterase. Please start with part 1.

How much guilt can any man endure and how much evil can dwell in the heart of man?
Two forces will collide within 35 hours. As the final stages of the pull out are being nailed down, things are becoming darker and darker deep within the invincible fortress. 7/28/00



In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 21
by jojarod50




Jarod’s Old Room
4:35 PM

Checking his watch again, Dr. Meisser hurried down the hallway, hoping to talk to Jarod before the scientists arrived for his first three-hour session. He had been disheartened to see Jarod pacing the floor on the surveillance monitor, aware that he desperately needed sleep and would have difficulty functioning without it. It was late in the day, and he couldn’t believe how much they crammed into the prisoners’ schedules. He despised the Centre considering it completely obscene.

*

Working the coded lock, the psychiatrist remained just outside the dark room letting his eyes adjust to the dim light before finding the control panel and palming the brighter lights on.

“Jarod, you were supposed to be resting,” Dr. Meisser said with frustration and concern as he entered his patient’s room, laying his chart down on the nearest table.

The pretender sat on the couch with his back toward the doctor bent over with his head in his hands, his breathing coarse and labored.

“You were fast asleep when I left you. What happened?” he asked glancing quickly around, seeing files and disturbing pictures scattered all over the floor; some of the hard copy ripped to shreds.

Bracing his cracked ribs with his arm, Jarod stood up and headed for his bedroom, completely ignoring him, until he found his arm in an ironclad grip effectively holding him in place.

“No you don’t. You’re not avoiding this that easily. I’m sorry, Jarod. I should have found out what Mr. Parker wanted you to work on before they ever brought these materials down here,” he said, his gesture taking in the myriad of Centre files on the floor, and other evidence of his frenzied activity.

Jarod stiffened as he turned to face the other man, his eyes devoid of life.

“Don’t you dare shut down on me,” the agent warned loosening his grip as Jarod tried to pull away not wanting to add to his obvious distress.

Completely played out, he slowly walked into the other room and collapsed on the bed.

The agent followed him into the bedroom and quietly reminded him about the pull out, realizing he had little time to help him pull himself together before the others arrived.

“I know,” he said looking up with deep sadness in his dark eyes feeling dead inside.

There was a long pause before he spoke again.

“I realized there had been tragic repercussions from my cloning sims the moment I laid eyes on Gemini. I just never saw the other innocent victims in my mind until now,” he said with difficulty vacantly staring straight ahead.

“You mean the pictures in the files?”

“Yes.”

“Jarod you can’t blame yourself for what…”

“How can you say that? I told them how to create a human being, methodically, step by step. And now, they want me to do it again. I can’t participate in this. I already have enough innocent blood on my hands to last me several lifetimes.”

“Jarod, you can’t refuse. They’ll find a way to make you do this. In fact two geneticists are arriving here any time now, who’ll be monitoring your progress. Mr. Parker is determined to make this happen. Listen to me. All they want right now is for you familiarize yourself with the materials. The actual work won’t start until Monday. You can do that can’t you?” he asked hearing the coded lock release and people entering the outer room.

“Come on, Jarod. Humor them for now.”

*

Jarod’s outer room
5:00 PM

Willie had easily managed to restrain the exhausted pretender, before he had a chance to do anything rash. The other sweeper swiftly cuffed and manacled him before leading him to a chair at the large table provided for their meetings. Another sweeper had escorted Dr. Meisser out of the room, in spite of his heated protests, before the Geneticists had arrived.

*

Moments later…

Jarod’s whole body convulsed with sheer panic and rage, at the sight of Mr. Raines entering his room. He fought desperately for control, floored by the audacity of allowing Raines to preside over the session.

“Nice to see you again, Jarod,” Mr. Raines said stepping up to the pretender with a triumphant look on his face. “I want to introduce you to Dr. Edward Moore and Dr. Killmer. As I remember it, you were quite indisposed the last time you were all together.”

“How do you do, Jarod. I’ve been hoping to work with you, ever since we acquired authorization from the Triumvirate for Gemini III. Personally, I wasn’t sure we’d be seeing you again, following that nasty plane crash in New Jersey. I’m glad to see you survived,” Dr. Killmer said giving him a look that made him involuntarily shudder.

“There have been some problems with our original cloning project and I’m looking forward to having your expertise in helping us iron them out. I must say, our program has been drastically setback by your intervening absence. I’m relieved they’ve finally gotten you back,” Dr. Moore said taking a seat.

Jarod remained silent, keenly aware of the gun a sweeper had trained on his back. Willie was busy setting up a monitor on the table facing his way, as he was told to take his seat.

“I see you’ve had a chance to review the materials already,” Raines said humorlessly, his eyes surveying the damage to the project files. “I would hate to see anything happen to your father resulting from your lack of cooperation, Jarod,” he threatened, reaching out and switching on the screen.

“You bastard! Don’t you lay a hand on my father or I’ll…”

Jarod stopped in mid sentence, feeling the cold barrel of a gun shoved roughly against the back of his neck.

“I know what you’re capable of, but unlike Lyle I’ve come prepared. Now, let’s stop all this ridiculous posturing, Jarod, and get down to work, shall we?”

It only took one look at the armed sweeper with his father, for Jarod to start poring over the files. Battling tremendous anger, guilt and exhaustion, he did everything he could to cooperate. He zipped though file after file, occasionally being questioned by one man or the other but always keeping an eye on the screen.

* * *

Mr. Parker’s Office
6:55 PM

“We should keep Major Charles here permanently,” Lyle chuckled watching the scene down in Jarod’s room with sadistic pleasure.

“Just think of what we can accomplish. There’ll be no sim Jarod will refuse to do, with his father’s life on the line. It’s so simplistic. If only we had captured his father a long time ago,” Lyle said eyeing the pretender, while secretly entertaining thoughts of what he would do to the man when he finally got him alone. He had been nursing resentment against Jarod long enough and was looking for an opportunity to settle the score. Lyle felt euphoric as he noticed the weakened state of his prey, realizing how easy it would be to fulfil his need for superiority over the man.

“Yes, slicker than hell, isn’t it. Why don’t you line up our other clients? The Centre’s back in business now,” Mr. Parker said rubbing his hands together, as he left his chair to pour himself a drink.

Lyle nodded and left the room through the back door, his mind preoccupied with thoughts of revenge.

* * *

Mr. Parker’s Office
15 minutes later…

“I don’t think you have anything to worry about, Mutumbo. You can see for yourself that we have the pretender’s full cooperation. Everything’s under control.”

“I’m not so sure,” Mutumbo said, crossing his arms as he watched the pretender on the screen. “We don’t know if he’ll be well enough to accurately perform his sims. Look at him. He looks completely beaten and sounds like he’s having an incredible amount of difficulty keeping his mind on what he’s saying. Did he use to ramble on like that?”

“He’s just had a hard day. After he’s had a good nights sleep, I’m sure he’ll be as sharp as ever,” Mr. Parker said with more conviction than he felt.

“Well, let’s just hope so for your sake,” Mutumbo threatened getting up from the table and preparing to leave. The tower wants this program to go forward immediately and they won’t tolerate any more setbacks. Arrange a meeting for 10:00 AM sharp. Have your genetics team prepared a full evaluation on Jarod’s progress so far,” Mutumbo said before leaving the room.

“Damn,” Mr. Parker said staring at the door as it closed. “What if he’s right.”

* * *

Dr. Meisser’s office
7:55PM

The psychiatrist glanced at the screen, hardly believing what he was watching. Leaving a consultation with Dr. Grackle in mid-sentence, he flew out of his office and headed for the elevator, hoping he wasn’t too late to intervene.

Jarod’s Old Room
8:01 PM

When he reached Jarod’s room the last of the personal were leaving, as he rushed past them pushing a sweeper aside. Willie stood near the door straightening his suit coat. “Dr. Meisser, Mr. Raines told me to tell you to make sure that Jarod understands he is to fully answer all questions put to him regardless of how he feels about them personally. He will be calling you early tomorrow to set up the next meeting. See to it that the pretender is fully rested and ready to cooperate,” Willie said matter of factly, picking up the cuffs and manacles and leaving the room.

Jarod was lying where he had been slammed against the wall, mumbling something quietly about his father. Stooping down by his side, the agent checked his pulse, as he tried to make out what he was saying.

“Jarod, stay with me,” he urged sweeping his hair out of his eyes to check his pupils, afraid he might have suffered a concussion and realizing he was about to pass out.

“Sydney?….so sorry…sorry dad……refuge.”

Reaching for his phone, the agent dialed the infirmary cursing under his breath. “I need a medical team to the pretender’s room immeadiately.

* * *

Centre Infirmary
8:20 PM

“Take it easy, Jerry,” the doctor said over his shoulder, stepping just outside the examination room. “To tell you the truth, his father got the worst of this one, and he only got a bloody nose,” he said with amusement signing a patient’s chart and telling an orderly to return the Major to his cell.

The agent eyed the other man skeptically, as he reentered the room, which was being guarded by Sam and another sweeper.

“Jerry, trust me,” he said checking the semi-conscious man’s pupils and jotting something on his chart.

“Jarod’s going to be just fine. I can’t find anything seriously wrong with him, at least physically. They barely touched him before he collapsed. You saw it for yourself on the monitor. I’m sure he’s just suffering from exhaustion. I imagine he’ll be fine after a good night’s rest,” he said putting his hand on the other man’s shoulder as they stepped away from the bed.

“It’s not that big of a deal so don’t make a federal case out of it. Why don’t you give him his shot early and call it a day? You look almost as bad as he does.”

“Is that the best you can do? You make me sick, Grackle,” the agent said shrugging off his hand and stepping away.

“It’s time you started acting like a doctor. I want you to quit sedating Dr. Green. I need to talk to him about Jarod tonight. And for God’s sake get him ambulatory. If you don’t work with me, Nelson, I’m going over your head.”

Dr. Grackle stared at the angry man weighing his determination.

“All right, Meisser. If it will shut you up. He’s due for his next shot at 9:00. You can talk to him then,” he said glancing down at the pretender who had apparently fallen asleep. He felt a sudden pang of guilt remembering he had promised Sydney he’d try to keep Jarod safe.

“You know, Jerry,” Nelson said quietly not wanting to be heard by the sweepers,” you’re not going to last long at the Centre, the way you’re going. If you don’t learn to roll with the punches, you’re going to burn out before you’ve been here a month.”

The agent got a strange look on his face and just stood there staring at the other man, rubbing the back of his stiff neck.

“I’ll be back at 9:oo to talk to Dr. Green. Be sure he’s available,” he said walking away slightly smiling at another agent as he passed by.

* * *

Mr. Lyle’s Office
8:30 PM

“I’m not going to kill you, Jarod, at least not in the way you’d want,” Lyle mused inspecting the small shiny object in his hand. I’m just going to make sure you’re stripped of every ounce of remaining freedom you’ll ever have,” he said out loud as his finger ran down the list of sweepers assigned to night shift, pausing by the names of the ones guarding Jarod. Checking another print out, Lyle also ran down the name of the person assigned to observe the surveillance monitors for the Infirmary.

Closing his eyes for a moment, he pictured the pretender ensconced in a straight jacket surrounded by security every waking moment of every day. Feeling totally laid back and relaxed, he picked up the phone and made a few short calls, feeling a rush of excitement and pleasure as everything he planned fell into place.

Pocketing the item he had carefully wrapped in handkerchief, he left the Centre and headed for his car. He would come back later tonight, and no one would ever know it.

* * *

Centre Infirmary
Patient room 103
8:56 PM

Broots was startled awake by screaming in the next room.

“Oh no, what’s happening?” Broots said anxiously, as he started to leave his bed.

“Where do you think you’re going, Mr. Broots? You better just stay put,” the sweeper said in an intimidating tone.

“Th that sounded like sorta like Jarod. S some one better go check on him. He sounds like he’s in trouble.”

The sweeper stood there board and disinterested, giving Broots a look that told him he’d better shut up.

The computer tech could hear voices and saw a doctor pass his door heading toward the next room.

Looking up, he was relieved to see a nurse step into his room.

“What’s going on? Who’s in the room next to mine?” Broots asked already anticipating the answer.

It’s all right. That patient is being taken care of. Why don’t you lie back and relax, Mr. Broots,” the undercover agent said checking his temperature. It’s time for your antibiotic and I’ve got good news for you, you’re temperature is almost normal.

Broots glanced at her distractedly, positive it was Jarod who screamed in the other room.

“What are they doing to Jarod? I know that was him,” he said his expression totally grim.

“I don’t think they did anything to him. He’s been plagued with horrible nightmares, that’s all.”

“Hum, that’s all? I’ll have yo you know that he is m my friend.”

“I know. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to sound so callous,” she said as she checked his vitals. “Now, let me check your eyes and we’ll be all done. Just lie still and look at a spot on the ceiling for a moment.”

Leaning very close to him as she flashed a small light in his eyes, she whispered that she was a federal agent and they were pulling them all out tomorrow night.

Broots’ was taken completely by surprise. He had never thought in his wildest dreams that they would get out of this alive.

“Now, I want you to lie still and try to get some more rest. Just swallow this antibiotic and I’ll be out of your hair,” she said cutting him off before he could say a word.

“Thank you, Nurse,” he said softly, struggling to contain his emotions.

“You’re welcome. Don’t worry, Mr. Broots, we’ll keep a close eye on your friend for you. Now try and get some sleep. You need to build your strength up,” she said jotting something on his chart and giving him a final smile before leaving his room.

* * *

The Centre
Private Patient Room 1E
9:05 PM

“Here’s something to make you more comfortable, Sydney,” Dr. Grackle said administering a shot.

“Thank you, Nelson,” Sydney offered, suspecting he had been pressured into this whole thing.

“Well, he’s all yours, Dr. Meisser. I’m going home now,” he said with a curt smile checking his watch making it clear that he had stayed late to accommodate the man.

“Thank you, doctor, I’ll see you in the morning.”

*

Moments later..

“I’ve been looking forward to meeting you, Dr. Green. I’m handling your patient, Jarod. I must tell you, that I am simply amazed at how you retrieved his mind after all that was done to him. You are certainly one of the most brilliant psychiatrists I’ve every met.”

“No. You should be talking to Jarod. He’s the one that never gave up. What’s happened? I’m sure you didn’t go to all this trouble just to visit with me,” he said eyeing the stranger nervously.

“You’re right, I did come to talk to you about Jarod. He’s having some difficulties. But I also came to meet you and to make sure you’re all right. It’s important that you become ambulatory. They should have never kept you sedated,” he said wondering how to broach the subject of his true identity.

Sydney fell silent, stuck by the strange way he had emphasized “importance of becoming ambulatory” and suddenly wondering if he was who he claimed to be.

“I noticed you have a male nurse assigned to you. I’m sure he will see to it that you regain your feet and are up and around starting tonight if you wish. I persuaded Dr. Grackle this evening to change the course of your treatment,” he said breaking into a smile hoping the other man would catch on.

“I’m certainly in you debt, doctor,” Sydney returned with amused relief that someone had finally seen to he’d be up and around for the pull out.

“Now please, what can you tell me about Jarod? How is he being treated? Is his mind still in tact?”

“Jarod, has been having a pretty tough time. Early this morning, during interrogations, he suffered flashbacks and the return of his memory concerning Gemini. He was combative and they were pretty rough with him. Late this afternoon, they used his father as leverage to have him begin research for a new cloning sim under Mr. Raines direction.”

“Dear Lord! How could you let them do this?”

“I tried to intervene, but there was little I could do against a loaded weapon.”

“I’m sorry. I should have known,” he said looking down as he closed his eyes, steeling himself for the rest of the news.

“How is Jarod emotionally?”

“He, um, hasn’t been allowed to get much rest and I’m afraid the situation tonight was extremely disturbing to him. He collapsed from exhaustion at the end of the session. He’s in a private room in the infirmary for observation overnight. Besides the obvious concerns, I’m becoming concerned about his mind. He mistook me for you, doctor, and was saying something about “refuge” before he loss consciousness. Do you have any idea what he might have meant by that?”

Sydney was silent for a moment outwardly showing no emotion, then wiped a hand over his eyes and shook his head.

“It means Jarod can’t take any more. It’s a cry for help. I’m very concerned that he failed to recognize you, Dr. Meisser. Jarod doesn’t make mistakes like that,” he said giving the other man a hard look.

“You must do everything possible to keep him out of that situation. Go to Mr. Parker and convince him to put the project on hold for now.”

“That may be very difficult. I’ve tried dealing with Mr. Parker, but his judgement has been repeatedly reckless as far as Jarod is concerned. It just doesn’t make sense, as valuable as Jarod is to the Centre. He’s acting as if someone else is pulling his strings or maybe it’s his excessive drinking that is warping his judgement.”

“Excessive drinking? That doesn’t sound like the man I know. The only time his behavior was unbalanced in that area was during the time preceding his wife’s death,” he said absently deep in thought.

“Never mind. You must convince him anyway, for Jarod’s sake. Perhaps I’ll have a word with him too. Dr. Meisser, do you think it would be possible for me to see Jarod? I’m very concerned about him, after what you’ve told me.”

“I don’t know if he’s conscious right now. They ran him completely into the ground. I could check if you want me to. He’s due for his shot at in 5 minutes.”

“No, that won’t be necessary. It would be better for him to get his rest. Perhaps could something be arranged for tomorrow?”

“I was hoping you’d ask. I’ll see what I can do. Now, you better get some rest. It’s been a pleasure meeting you.”

“If it’s all the same to you, I’d rather take my first walk, now that my catheter has been removed,” he said with a slight smile.

“Certainly. I’ll see to it you have assistance right away. Don’t worry about Jarod. He’s been assigned round the clock care. Well, I better get going. If something comes up, I’ll let you know.”

* * *

Centre Infirmary
Patient Room 105

“Nurse, how is my patient doing” Dr. Meisser asked with a slight grin as she looked up from giving Jarod a back rub.

“Oh, I think a lot better now. He had two consecutive night terrors, but I think we have him relaxed now,” she said, putting the cap back on the lotion.

“I see,” he said reading over the chart and placing it back on the hook.

“Ok, let’s take a quick look at you and give you your shot, then you can go back to sleep. Do you recognize me, Jarod?” he asked while taking his blood pressure.

“Dr. Meisser,” he said groggily.

“Good, Jarod,” he said with relief checking his eyes and his pulse.

“You’re going to feel a sting now,” he said delivering the shot and watching his reaction carefully as it his face went slack.

“There you go. You’re doing just fine,” he said feeling bad about completely doping him up.

“Nurse, why don’t you give him another back rub. I’m sure that will help him sleep better,” he suggested, watching a smile form on his patient’s lips.

“Now, go ahead and rest, Jarod. I’m going to try and get you a day off for tomorrow.”