Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

This is a fanfic written purely for entertainment and promotion of my favorite show, The Pretender. I am merely borrowing the characters from the TV show owned by Pretender Productions and Fox, for my story. All other characters not appearing on the Pretender are mine. Please don’t sue me, as I have no money.

As you may recall, this story takes place in the first days and following months immediately after the 3rd season final, Donoterase. This story is very different from the real 4th season of the Pretender, as it was started in the summer before season 4, and has taken on a life of it’s own. jojarod

It’s a real family reunion back at the Centre, as the top dogs revel in the return of the pretender. In actuality, they have unwittingly returned the man who has become their deadliest adversary, and may very well cause their ultimate destruction. 5/31/00




In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 16
by jojarod50





Chapman’s farm
2000 South 198th Street
Outside of Overland Park, Kansas
5:15 PM CST


The fierce storm came up quickly drenching everything in its path. Wind whipped through the trees, snapping off branches and sending them plunging to the ground not far from the old farmhouse. Further down past old outbuildings in a shallow creek, was the discarded body of Joe Clark. In his rush to leave with the others, a rookie cleaner had dumped him there, mistakenly thinking he was dead.

Awakened by raindrops pelting his face, Joe lay on his back in the shallow water, dazed, as his eyes struggled to focus. Blood from the back of his head slowly oozed into the little currents and eddies where the shallow water hurried over worn rocks.

Pulling on some vines, Joe slowly sat up feeling terribly nauseous. I don’t remember coming down here, he thought trying to piece things together. Huh, they must have thought I was dead. That’s one mistake they’ll be sorry they made.
Dragging himself slowly through the tall grass, shivering in the cold rain, he made his way toward the outbuilding where he and Broots had hidden the cars.

* * *

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Interrogation Room E
6:38 PM EST

„N no one ever talked about Gemini, that I know of. Honest. We were told to avoid discussing th things around Jarod that h he hadn’t remembered yet."

„Perhaps you need a little more time to work on your recollections, Mr. Broots. Be advised, you will be joining us for another interrogation session first thing tomorrow morning."

„Willie, take him to his new accommodations, and help him find the motivation he needs to be more cooperative regarding Gemini."

„Mr. Cox is Major Charles available for questioning yet?"

„No Sir, he’s still down in the infirmary. His doctor informed me, that he wouldn’t be available to testify until tomorrow.

„Very well. Would you please escort Angelo in."

* * *

Renewal Wing
Isolation cell 13
7:03 PM

Broots lay sprawled on the cement floor near the toilet, where he had been since being escorted to his cell. Moaning in pain, he clutched his bruised stomach and choked on bile that refused to stay down.

When he had regained consciousness in the infirmary, he had been injected with sodium phenithol. Shortly after that, he had been dragged before a committee of five, assigned to interrogations concerning the attempted coup d’e’tat. He was bold at first, feeling the initial rush of the truth serum, denying things and weaving fabrications to try and save their necks. Unfortunately, as the drug took hold loosing his mind, he completely lost his inhibitions and ended up telling them nearly everything they wanted to know. He hadn’t seen Miss Parker, Sydney or the others. Filled with terror, he wondered if they were even still alive and if the Centre had found his daughter, Debbie. Waves of nausea asaulted him again, and he retched violently, gagging with dry heaves, too ill to lift his head off the floor. He knew nothing on the where-abouts of Gemini, and wondered how he would ever convince them he wasn’t lying.

***

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Centre Infirmary, Isolation Room A
7:05 PM EST

„Nurse, have Major Charles taken to the Renewal Wing, isolation cell 19, after he’s rehydrated and the worst of his lacerations have been sutured. I think we’ll hold off on any other treatments right now. Let’s see how he does after he’s had some rest. He showed no signs of a concussion, so go ahead and have him sedated again before he’s transferred. That will make it easier on everyone. Oh, and please check the status of Dr. Green. I want to be notified when they have him in recovery. That will be all for now."

Walking over to the orderly who had been standing nearby waiting, Dr. Grackle gave him a disgusted look.

„You’re definitely going to need stitches. Have one of the nurses find you a cold compress for that eye, and get another orderly in here immediately. I told you not to go in there alone. You’re on report," the doctor said jotting something on Jarod’s chart and slamming it shut.

Taking a cleansing breath, the physician worked the code lock and entered the secured padded cell. Jarod was on the floor at the far side of the sterile room, with his head resting on his knees rocking himself gently and reciting a nursery rhyme quietly to himself.

„Jarod? I’m glad to see you’ve calmed back down. My name is Dr. Grackle. We’ll get along fine, as long as you cooperate. You’re overdue for your next dose of medicine. You unfortunately got way off schedule, so we need to give it to you right away. Do you understand what I’m saying?" he asked looking down at his patient, still rocking on the floor.

„He’s not responding. It could be a ploy," the doctor said under his breath.

Flanked by 2 burley orderlies, the doctor knelt down by the pretender and tried to get his attention.

„Jarod, you need to come with me, now," the older man said slipping his hand under the pretender’s arm.

„No!"

Abruptly, the doctor flew backward against the orderlies, as Jarod lunged at him hysterically, fists flying, completely enraged. In moments, he was pinned to the floor unable to move.

„What happened to everyone else? Are they dead? Answer me, you bastard!" the angry pretender screamed thrashing around on the floor. „Where’s my father?"

„Get him on the table and strap him down," the affronted man ordered rubbing his jaw and swallowing blood.

Go ahead and give me the shot, you idiot. I know your orders are to make me well. There’ll come a time when you’ll wish you hadn’t, he relished, as the orderlies strapped him down.

„All right Jarod, we can do it the hard way, if that’s what you want."

Filling the hypo and tapping out the bubbles, he quickly wiped the pretender’s arm with an alcohol swab, and delivered the 6:00 dose.

„I told you I want to see my father," he said, gritting his teeth in anger as the first wave of dizziness washed over him. Swiftly he was drawn into an unwanted euphoric stupor, as the incapacitating drug surged through his veins.

Without compassion or kindness, the doctor started his examination, as Jarod lay motionless on the cold metal table.

„This will only take a moment," Dr. Grackle said flashing the light several times in each of his eyes, as the pretender gratefully slid into a benign flashback.

Bright early morning light streamed through the hospital windows, as Jarod saw Sydney enter the room.

„Good morning, Dr. Best. You’re just in time to see Jarod get the use of his hands back. The skin grafts have healed nicely."

„Sydney, is that you?" Jarod whispered, deeply moved, as his eyes began to cloud up.

The Centre doctor glanced at his patient, giving him a curious look, as he jotted down a few things on his new chart.

„Jarod, do you see Dr. Green in the room?" the doctor asked shaking him gently, becoming suddenly concerned about the integrity of his mind.

Brought back to reality, he grudgingly focused on his doctor, wishing he would leave him alone, as oppressive fatigue darkened his mood.

A tear slipped from the pretender’s eye, as he endured the callous examination of his old injuries, and raw comments about his former ordeal.

He attempted to guard his tenuous emotional stability by forcing his mind to slip away again.

„It says here that you failed to show up at lunch again," Sydney said with a knowing look, spying some hamburger wrappers in the trash. „Looks to me like you had something better to eat. I’ll make a note of that. You’ve wasted no time in corrupting Jarod, Major Charles."

„I take my job as Jarod’s parent very seriously."

Suddenly feeling pain, the illusion vanished, and the pretender found himself face to face with a sweaty man with a jagged scar across his cleft chin, ineptly jabbing him with a large gauge needle and snapping a vacuum tube in place. Closing his eyes, Jarod waited it out, despising the Centre having access to his blood.

After a few moments, the doctor spoke to him again.

„Jarod, we’ll be moving you shortly to your old room. You’ll be having your first session with your new psychiatrist there. After that, I want you to rest and keep your activity level to a minimum. You have two cracked ribs and are going to have sore knuckles for a couple of days. No computer for you, until the dressings come off. A word to the wise, control your anger or you’ll find yourself wearing a straight jacket permanently. Are we clear on that?"

The pretender allowed his eyes to wander away as he tried to decide how emotionally ill he wanted them to believe he was. That ploy would hopefully keep them off balance, as he worked to find a way to execute the rest of his plan.

„Jarod, I’d appreciate it if you would have your mind in the neighborhood, when I’m talking to you."

„You must be aware that you are seriously underweight. Have you ever been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa?"

The pretender just lay there giving him a death stare and meant it.

„I know you’re very angry right now, but you are going to have to let us help you deal with this issue. You are not going to be allowed to starve yourself to death on my watch," the doctor said as he jotted down more things on his chart. I’m putting you on a special diet. After you begin putting on weight, we’ll start you on a body building program as well. Frankly, I can’t imagine for the life of me, why you were allowed to waste away like this. Rumors must be greatly exaggerated, about it taking 3 sweepers to take you down when you were recaptured."

Overwhelmed with the absurdity of it all, Jarod began laughing hysterically, only to be reduced to tears, as renewed worry for his father and the others took hold of him. Noticing the doctor’s reaction, he realized with frustration that some of his abnormal behavior would not be a pretend.

Dr. Grackle tilted his head and pursed his lips as he observed his patient, taking note of his erratic mood swings. He again flipped open the chart and jotted in it.

„Doctor, you asked me to inform you when, Dr. Green was in recovery."

„Oh, yes, Nurse, thank you."

Recovery? Jarod’s heart fell, as he realized his mentor and protector had been seriously injured and felt renewed fear for his father, Parker, and the others.

„Mr. Lyle, this is convenient timing. If you have finished with Major Charles, why don’t you and Mr. Johnson escort our pretender to his room now," the doctor said stripping off his latex gloves and tossing them in the trash. „I’ve got a meeting with Mr. Parker in twenty minutes. I don’t want to be interrupted unless it’s an emergency," he said to the nurse on his right, as he headed over to recovery.

Lyle smirked at he sized up the pretender, enjoying the fact that he looked like things had been living hell for him while he had been on the run.

Jarod’s mind was reeling, as the unfamiliar sweeper unbuckled the leather straps and helped him off the table, outraged that Lyle was being allowed anywhere near him.

„It’s really nice to see you again, Jarod," the sociopath said slowly looking him over with a look of disdain. „I’m sorry you missed seeing your father. I’m going to really enjoy working with him," he said with a sadistic grin. „I wonder how long it will take before I can get him to weep the way you did."

Lyle grinned completely satisfied that he had gotten the reaction from the pretender he was hoping for, as he watched the other man come unglued.

„Come on, let’s go," he said, as he reached for the pretender’s arm, was swiftly taken down, and nearly beaten to death, before anyone could stop it.

* * *

Mr. Parker’s office
8:00 PM EST

„Don’t you use that tone with me young lady," Mr. Parker said smacking her across the face. „Now sit down and shut up. You haven’t got a leg to stand on. You just better count your lucky stars none of that information actually got to where you tried to send it. You would have been dead by now, if it had. As a matter of fact, Mutumbo still thinks that’s a viable option. If you weren’t my daughter, they would have finished you off back in Kansas. What the hell were you thinking or are you just flat out insane?"

„You had a contract out on me. I was right outside your office when I heard you take the orders from Mutumbo, just like you did on my mother, you son of a bitch."

„That’s not true. You must have been too distraught about Jarod at the time to be thinking straight. I know you two were childhood friends. Now, I admit there was some nasty posturing going on between Mutumbo and me, but nothing of any consequence. And just for the record, I never gave any order to have my beloved wife killed and I’m trying to save your neck right now. I am shocked that you would ever believe that. It was a tragedy, her taking her own life. I don’t think I’ll ever completely get over the pain."

Mr. Parker stood up and went to the wet bar and poured himself a drink, as the phone began to incessantly ring. Aggravated, he turned angrily and roughly picked it up. „I told you no interruptions. Oh my God. Jarod? You’ve got to be kidding. Hell no. He was ordered not to go anywhere near him. Is he going to be all right? Well, call me when the hell you do know," he said slamming down the phone.

„Your, um, brother was attacked by Jarod. They have him in surgery right now. He may not make it."

Miss Parker sat there in shock, unsure what she felt for her brother, but knowing this was a dangerous turn of events for Jarod. This behavior flew in the face of everything she had ever known about him, and she wondered what her evil twin had done to push him completely over the edge.

Mr. Parker paced back in forth for a minute and then stopped squarely in front of his daughter.

„Well, I guess it’s up to me to salvage what’s left of the Parker family," he said glaring at her, as she sat quietly giving him a steady look.

„Obviously, the pressures at the Centre became unbearable for you and you simply cracked. Sorry Angel, I should have seen it coming. It’s clear, you were mentally incompetent at the time of your actions. You are to undergo a full psychological evaluation and treatment for mental illness. Sometimes you remind me more of your mother than I care to admit. You’ll see, this is all for the best. We’ll have you back on your feet and working again in no time."

„Sam, escort Miss Parker to the Renewal Wing. A doctor is already there waiting to meet you."

Miss Parker walked out of her dad’s office in silence. Why he had shown her mercy was beyond her, but he was a fool for doing it. She was allied with Jarod now, and nothing would change that. Now, all she needed was a plan of escape.

* * *

Centre Recovery Room 2a
8:25 PM EST

Sydney struggled to focus at the man that stood by the side of his bed, but found it nearly impossible, as the remnants of the anesthesia threatened to pull him under again. His side burned like wildfire and he was grateful for the painkiller the nurse injected into his IV tubing apparatus.

„Sydney, my friend. You’re going to be all right," Dr. Grackle said looking at his chart. The bullet tore you up pretty good but managed to avoid hitting anything major. You’re going to spend the next two weeks flat on your back, and I want you to behave yourself. I know what a pain in the neck you can be as a patient."

„From what I’ve heard, you’re in pretty deep, but your situation is salvageable. There is gratitude in high places for what you did to thwart Raines’ plans to possibly have the pretender eliminated. They are also keenly aware that, if you hadn’t intervened, Jarod would have been irreparably insane by now. I believe you have a lot of clout on your side. I’ll do what I can to help you. I owe you that. But, you’re going to have to keep a low profile until things can be worked out."

Sydney reached out suddenly for the doctor’s hand he had resting on the bed.

„Help Jarod."

„I’m not even sure how much I can do for you."

Sydney squeezed his hand hard.

„Try."

* * *

Dr. Meisser’s Office
2 doors down from the infirmary
8:35 PM EST

Dr. Meisser hit rewind and replayed the surveillance tape of Jarod’s altercation with Lyle, stopping it just as the dialogue commenced between them.

„Now, listen carefully to what your son says to the pretender concerning his father."

„It’s really nice to see you again, Jarod," the sociopath said slowly looking him over with a look of disdain. „I’m sorry you missed seeing your father. I’m going to really enjoy working with him," he said with a sadistic grin. „I wonder how long it will take before I can get him to weep like you did."

„This wasn’t a simple case of revenge. Jarod has never been known to take a life for that reason. I believe he was simply trying to protect his father. His record states that the only time he ever killed anyone was when he shot Damon to keep him from killing your computer tech, Mr.Broots.

„I’ve studied Jarod’s psychiatric records from his time with Dr. Green, and there is nothing here to even remotely suggest that he has become a violent person. On the contrary, he’s had more of a tendency toward depression and withdrawal. If things aren’t handled properly, Jarod may retreat into himself and be lost for good."

„Mr. Parker, let me handle Jarod, my way. With all that’s happened to him, especially factoring in his violent recapture and now his altercation with your son, his mental status is bound to be quite precarious. It would be a tragedy for such a brilliant mind to be lost forever."

The chairman was silent as he weighed the facts and the credibility of his new Centre psychiatrist.

„Your record speaks for its self. I feel we were lucky to have acquired a man of your expertise from our London facilities. Go ahead and have your sessions with Jarod and keep me informed of your progress. We need the pretender up and running as soon as possible."

„He’s going to need time to reassimilate. Don’t expect results over night. What you have right now is a recovering mental patient, thanks to Raines and your son."

„Like I said, keep me informed. You’ve got your assignment and I’m going to expect results. I’m going to check on my son," Mr. Parker said evenly, getting up and leaving the room.

* * *

Jarod’s old room
8:55 PM

The pretender, wearing a straightjacket, was ushered into his old room, flanked by armed sweepers. A gaunt featured older man with graying hair and striking blue eyes sat on a chair near a white couch.

The psychiatrist looked up from his chart, skillfully evaluating his patient’s posture and body language, both betraying his apprehension and fear.

„Jarod, go ahead and have a seat right over here."

The pretender looked around the room, hesitantly, as a flood of painful memories inundated his mind.

„Why don’t you men wait outside for now. I’ll call you if I need you," the doctor said waving them off with an impatient look.

„Jarod? I need for you to sit down now."

Still very distracted, the pretender made his way to the couch and sat down.

„Unsettling isn’t it, after all your time away from the Centre? Just try to relax, we’re merely going to have a little talk. My name is Dr. Meisser, your new psychiatrist."

His patient said nothing, letting his head drop, and closing his eyes, as if willing everything to go away.

„I know you’re a pretender and you have the ability to block me out or take your mind somewhere else completely, but I need you to stay with me. I want to help you deal with what happened to you down in the infirmary, before it completely overwhelms you."

Jarod sat silently glaring at his trembling hands.

„I’ve gone over the surveillance tape of the incident with Mr. Parker. We both agree that you were maliciously provoked with open threats made against Major Charles and acted to safeguard your father. We all know he would have probably carried them out."

The distraught young man just sat there taking in jagged breaths struggling to maintain his composure, as he wrestled with overwhelming guilt. This wasn’t supposed to happen, his mind echoed. Dear Lord, what have I become?

Realizing how difficult a time his patient was having dealing with almost murdering the other man, the doctor picked up the phone for a patient update, hoping Mr. Lyle wasn’t dead.

„This is Dr. Meisser. Any word yet on the status of Mr. Lyle. Fine, I’ll hold," he said glancing over at Jarod. He was rocking back and forth slightly, as he sat on the edge of the couch, as if trying to comfort himself.

„That’s very good news. Thank you."

„Well, it appears your nemesis is going to live, though you’ve managed to put him out of commission for say, the next 4 or 5 weeks. Jarod, don’t shut down on me. You were only trying to protect your father from going through something horrible like you went through, when you were under that man’s control. You’re father is safe now. Mr. Lyle won’t be able to hurt him."

Jarod hung his head down and squeezed his eyes shut gasping to catch his breath and then finally broke down and cried.

„It’s ok, Jarod. Get it out. You can’t afford to keep things bottled up right now. Just know, that as much as its up to me, I’ll do everything possible to get you back on your feet. You’ve made wonderful progress under Dr. Green’s expert care. We just need to keep you on the right track. You need to get some rest now. Here, let me help you get that nasty straight jacket off. I can’t imagine trying to sleep in one of those. I don’t believe you really need one anyway. I’ll be back in about an hour to give you your last shot for the night. Tomorrow you will only have to deal with those three times a day. Oh, and by the way, everyone, but Joe, got out alive. None of them are pleased to be here, but they are all reasonably all right. Dr. Green was shot in the side, but his injury is not life threatening. He’s resting comfortably in a private room. From what I’ve heard, the Centre will be showing a great deal of forbearance in this matter. Now, try not to worry and get some rest."

„Thank you," Jarod said quietly and laid down on the couch."

„Wouldn’t you rather sleep on your bed?"

„This will be fine."

„All right, Jarod. I’ll see you in about an hour."