Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters. They belong to NBC, Pretender Productions, and others. I'm just borrowing them for my Pretender fanfic story. No money is changing hands on this. Please do not sue me, as I have no money. This story is purely for entertainment and promotion of my favorite show, the Pretender.

In 24 hours or so, a plane will take off from the Centre, carrying Mr. Lyle and two teams of sweepers on a mission to recover the pretender and company. Meanwhile, Sydney, Miss Parker, Broots, Major Charles and Joe Clark prepare to set their counter-plan in motion. With the pretender on board, will he help secure their success or their demise? May 11, 2000

I deeply regret the decision the black suits at NBC have made to cancel our beloved show. My feelings at this point are beyond words. I’m believing that there will be other options for our show. I can’t think otherwise.



In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 14
by jojarod50





Miss Parker and Broots rental house
Overland Park, Kansas
11:25 PM


Miss Parker sat on the balcony off her bedroom, thinking about what had just happened between herself and Jarod. She took a big sip of her drink and shivered as the alcohol burned its way down her throat. It had been insensitive and inadvertently cruel for her to come on to him the way she did, and she hated herself for doing it. She took an even bigger sip of her drink, trying to erase the memory of the look on his face, when he had told her to leave. It was late, but she didn't feel like sleeping now. Looking for a diversion, she headed down stairs to see if anyone else was still up. She hoped Jarod had already fallen asleep. He looked like he hadn't had a good night's sleep in months. Leaving her room, she was happy to see that the lights were still on down stairs.

* * *

Jarod's bedroom next door

Jarod lay in the dark staring at an imaginary dot on the ceiling trying to remove himself from his situation before it ate him alive. Silent tears tricked down from the corners of his eyes and on to his pillow as his mind mercifully began to go blank and his body started to relax. His breathing became deeper as the night claimed him and he drifted off to sleep.

* * *

Downstairs
Living room

When Parker got to the bottom of the stairs, she saw Major Charles sitting across from Sydney, both seemingly locked into a heated argument of some kind.

"Don't you think I know that!" Sydney yelled slamming a folder down on the coffee table and going to the window, his arms tightly crossed over his chest.

Jarod's dad headed for the kitchen and she could hear him pacing the floor. Neither of them had noticed her.

"Syd, what the heck is going on here?" she asked looking from him to Major Charles, who was still in the kitchen, barely in view.

"Parker, what are you doing down here?"

"I asked you first."

The psychiatrist was silent for a moment and then spoke with obvious difficulty.

"I made a big mistake, as far as Jarod is concerned. I should have checked the contents of the package Angelo sent before I gave it to him."

"Syd, don't beat yourself up. What ever you did couldn't have been that bad. Jarod seems…"

"Here, look for yourself," he said, his voice faltering, as he tossed her the Center file off the coffee table.

"My God. Did Jarod see these Centre photos?" she gasped, flipping through them quickly.

"Major Charles said he looked through the whole thing right before he went up stairs to your bedroom where I found him rocking himself on the floor.

"But why would Angelo send those to Jarod. He would have known better than anyone else what effect they would have on him."

"He didn't send them to Jarod, Parker, he sent them to me. The note that came in the package said they would help me know what the flashbacks of his ordeal were about, so that I could help him come to terms with them. Since I haven’t had much to go on, as I wasn’t there to witness what he went through, they will be a great help to me. Those pictures were never intended for Jarod to see," he said his voice suddenly becoming little more than a whisper.

"Sydney, Jarod seems fine now. Didn't he say that he didn't remember anything? If that's the case, I don't understand what the problem is."

"No, you wouldn't, Parker. Seeing those pictures caused him to have dissociative amnesia because his mind wasn’t ready to face it on a conscious level yet.. You have to understand, it hasn’t been very long since Jarod’s recapture and he really hasn’t had time to heal enough, to deal successfully with those difficult things.

If those images resurface any time soon, it might be enough to send him over the edge, for good, as unstable as he is."

"Syd, you'll be able to help him through it, just as you've done all along."

The psychiatrist shook his head wearily and sat down on the couch.

„Are you alright? You look so tired. How long has it been since you’ve had a break from Jarod? The pressure you’ve been under must be staggering. I want you to know that I’m here if you want to talk about it."

Sydney looked up at her with gratitude.

„I’ve missed you, Parker. Broots too. There have been so many times I’ve felt so…" he stopped in mid-sentence, his eyes filling with tears.

„Well, maybe we can have a long talk when it’s not so late," Sydney offered, knowing that talking about his ordeal was long over due. He’d seen psychiatrists become ill themselves or worse because of the nature of their work.

„Let me just say, working with a patient suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome is very challenging. That coupled with having the patient, also suffering from the debilitating nature of a hallucinogenic drug overdose, makes the recovery far more complicated and prolonged.

Having it be Jarod, has made it very very difficult for me. Now, enough said."

„Miss Parker was glad Sydney had started a dialogue with her and knew that he would need a lot of time to talk it all out. It was a fact that he had many regrets about his involvement in the Jarod project and probably was carrying a lot of misplaced guilt for what had happened to the pretender when he was recaptured.

Looking over at the older man, she could tell it was time to change the subject.

"What are all these equations and this chemical formula, toward the back of the file, Syd?"

"Apparently, the Centre had Raines develop a serum to nullify the active properties of the truth drug Jarod was given. If I hadn't read this, I would have never known that Jarod is still under the influence of this drug. Jarod has never mentioned anything specifically about this."

„This must be the information on the serum that Raines and my father were talking about in the video feed Angelo sent Broots and I this afternoon. The warning that Lyle and company would be at our doorstep in less than 2 days. Frankly, after getting the heads up, I forgot to mention it to you."

„ That’s perfectly understandable. This is where it all gets very interesting. I found these pages containing the same equations and chemical formula on a table in Jarod’s hospital room this afternoon," he said, handing the papers to Miss Parker.

„How he was able to come up with the identical chemical formula Raines developed for him, in the condition he's in, is beyond me. I can't even understand how Jarod has been able to think straight at all, with this insidious hallucinogenic drug still at work in his system. If only I had known this sooner. Raines did a good job of designing his hideous drug. Toxicology came up negative for the drug after a period of time. I had no way of knowing."

Major Charles had stepped back in the living room and was listening intently to the conversation.

"You mean to tell me that my son has been hallucinating every since he was injected with this drug 51/2 weeks ago?"

Sydney stared at the coffee table and nodded his head.

"To what extent, I'm not sure, but yes, that is what this report says."

Miss Parker said nothing as she tried to remember everything about her last encounter with Jarod. He really hadn't seemed drugged to her. Just distracted at times.

Sydney went over to the dining room table and retrieved a package and set it on the coffee table. Reaching in, he pulled out a bottle of clear liquid and held it up to the light.

"This might be the key to finally putting Jarod on the road to recovery. If we can get him out from under the hallucinogen, he will be much better equipped to deal with his flashbacks and get on with his life."

"Well then, don't you think you better get him started on the regimen right now?" Major Charles asked anxiously, as he rejoined the group.

"Look, Sydney, I'm sorry for what I said to you. I don't know what kept you from punching me in the face. It's just that when I saw those pictures of Jarod."

"Major, don't," Sydney said standing up.

"You were justified in your anger. I'm his psychiatrist. I'm supposed to make sure nothing like this happens to him. I just pray, that it doesn't have severe consequences for Jarod."

"As far as starting Jarod on this new drug is concerned, we'll have to put that off until the morning. I would need to observe Jarod for any adverse reactions to this," he said placing the bottle back in the box.

"Tomorrow is going to be a difficult day. Perhaps we should all try to get some sleep. Frankly, I'm exhausted," Sydney confessed removing the pictures from the Centre file, putting them in his briefcase, and locking it."

"I'm with you. Goodnight everyone," the Major said, going for the stairs.

"How about you, Parker?"

"Yeah, I've had enough, Syd. Good night."

* * *
Upstairs
3:15 AM

It was about 2 hours later when everyone was awakened by screams coming from Jarod's room. They lasted only a few moments and then the house was quiet again. Sydney got out of bed to check on him and found everyone out in the hall.

"Please go back to bed. There's really nothing any of you can do for Jarod. He's been suffering from severe nightmares for quite some time now. I'm sure he would be very upset if he discovered that he had awakened everyone.

"Why don't you let me handle my son tonight," the Major said with a small sad smile. You just get him going on that new drug tomorrow."

"I promise, Major, as soon as he wakes up."

* * *

Jarod's bed room

Opening Jarod's door, his dad found him sitting in the semi-darkness, on the side of his bed, trying to catch his breath.

"Jarod, It's just me," the Major said noticing that he had accidentally startled his son.

"Dad? What are you doing in here?" the young man asked, still confused and disoriented from his nightmare.

"I just thought you could use some company for tonight. You know, strange place and all."

"What did I do, wake everyone up?" Jarod asked in a quiet voice.

"Don't worry about it, Son. I'm just going to stretch out on the couch. Why don't you lay back down and try to get some sleep. Staying up all night is the last thing either of us need."

"Well, I guess that answered that one," he said bitterly.

"Jarod, Lord knows you can't help it if you have these nightmares. Everyone understands. If there were some way I could take away your pain, I’d do it in a heartbeat. I love you, son, and I’m not going anywhere. You don’t have to face things alone anymore. I’ll help you through this, I promise."

The Major could see the distraught look on his son's face, even in the dim moonlight filtering in through the window.

"Jarod, we'll only be here a little bit longer, and then I'll take you home."

"Sure, dad," he said agreeing with the fiction. "Why don't you take the bed. I wouldn't feel right any other way."

"Nonsense. This was my idea. If I had wanted a bed I would have stayed in the other room."

Jarod was too tired to argue and handed him a blanket and the other pillow and said goodnight.

Falling back on the bed, he decided to try to stay awake to sidestep any further embarrassment, but was so exhausted that he drifted back to sleep.

* * *

Miss Parker was awakened at 4:50, by voices in the next room. As she listened she realized it was Jarod probably having another nightmare. It was his third one tonight and she was so tired she didn't really care anymore. She had to get some sleep if she was going to be able to tie up the loose ends on their project by the deadline. Rolling over, she put the other pillow over her head trying to block out the noise. How could anyone have that many nightmares in a single night, she thought irritably, until she remembered what he had been through.

In the deafening silence that settled in, she thought she could hear him softly crying.

„You're all going down hard for doing this to Jarod, „ she swore. A few moments later, her mind drifted to memories of her dad and his ordering the murder of her mother. She had tried so hard to block it from her mind, but here in the darkness her own tears started to flow. She still felt the pain of the bullet she had taken for her dad, and now wished she hadn’t stepped in the way. Exhausted and depressed, she finally drifted into a fitful sleep.

* * *

High Rise Apartment
Washington, D.C. suburb
Apt. 428
5:13 AM

"Cal, listen to me carefully. I uncovered a Sting operation, code-named, "Down Load", which involves a very lucrative friend of Mr. Lucas. It goes down 06:00 tomorrow. There's a package arriving within an hour, which contains detailed information on the plan.

Don't sweat it. There's still plenty of time to intervene. I’ve already sent out a team to keep track of these wise guys, ‘til Mr. Lucas contacts his friend. We’ll be able to intervene, if things get out of hand, before his sweepers have a chance to arrive. Our relationship is too mutually satisfying to be jeopardized at this point in time.

Give me a call after you talk to the boss."

"Sweet. The Centre's been good to us. I'll be in touch."

***

Kitchen
6:15 AM


When Miss Parker staggered down stairs for a stiff cup of coffee, she was greeted by everyone else, except Jarod and Joe, doing their early morning breakfast thing.

Major Charles was at the stove cooking sausage links and scrambled eggs, while Broots, who had apparently just set the table, put out some napkins and poured the orange juice. A stack of buttered toast was already on the table.

"Miss Parker, you're just in time for breakfast," Broots said grinning with pride.

"Don't talk to me, any of you, until I have a cup of coffee.

„Parker," Sydney said noticing the dark circles under her eyes, „are you all right? You don’t look rested at all."

„Gee, now why would that be? Jarod kept me up most of the night, and I’m preparing to take down my own father. You know, the man that ordered the cold-blooded murder of my mother. Other than that, I should feel great. Right?"

„This is really obscene," she said with a look of revulsion on her face as she scanned the food on the table.

"Why Parker, don't you believe in starting the day with a good breakfast? It may make you feel better," Sydney suggested knowing she probably would pass.

"Back off, Syd," Miss Parker said grabbing a cup of coffee and heading for the computer in the living room to check her e-mail. Angelo had been sending regular updates at 4-hour intervals during the day.

Broots looked on with sadness, as she left the room, knowing better than anyone, how hard this whole thing was for her. He thought back to their stay in the motel room, and how utterly devastated she had been knowing what her dad had done. A smile flickered across his face, as he remembered the pink champagne, his boxer shorts with sailboats on them, and how when she had almost fallen, he had held her in his arms, as if their lives depended on it. He wished more than anything, that she could fall for him the way he had fallen for her. Well, if not her, he would find someone some day, he thought quickly, trying to shake the dark mood that had suddenly settled in on him.

* * *

Jarod's bedroom
6:25Am

Jarod could hear the gun being cocked at his temple, while Raines siphoned off another huge amount of blood from his arm.

As Raines handed it to a lab technician, a long line of pregnant women paraded by in front of him, followed by a long line of young Jarods going the other way.

The boys were chained, one to the other at the wrists and ankles. One of the boys, looked right at him and said, "I can't cry. Raines won't let me."

Suddenly he heard a gun go off, and the boy fell to the floor and was dragged along, as the other boys kept walking.

Jarod screamed in horror and struggled to get up to help the boy. As his eyes focused, he realized that he was alone in his bedroom, tangled up in his sheets.

Feeling dizzy, he sank back onto the mattress fighting to catch his breath.

Exhausted and overwhelmed by his ever-present nightmare world, he dragged his arms over his face and fought to keep from completely falling apart.

„ It's going to get better, just hang on a little longer, „he told himself over and over not even believing it any more. Finally, he fell back to sleep.

* * *

7:10 AM

About a half an hour later, Jarod was startled awake again. Though still totally exhausted, he gave up on sleeping.

After taking a quick shower, he dressed and headed out his bedroom door, but hesitated at the top of the stairs, having second thoughts.

He was uncertain that he wanted to face all the people he had kept up most of the night and was not in the mood for any more humiliation.

Looking over the rail, he could see Miss Parker, busy at the computer, and recognized familiar voices coming from the kitchen.

Deciding against it, he started back for his bedroom.

"Jarod, I was just going to see if you were up yet. You just going to hang out at the top of the stairs, or would you like to come down and have some breakfast?"

It seemed as if his father had materialized out of thin air,as he stood there realizing his decision was moot now.

The pretender took a ragged breath as he descended the stairs, wishing he were invisible.

"Hi, dad, thanks, but it seems a little early for breakfast. maybe in a little bit.

Miss Parker looked around and smiled cheerfully at Jarod hoping to make him feel more at ease.

She noticed that he had taken a shower, but hadn't shaved yet. What struck her most, though, were his stark pale complexion and the way he seemed so unsure of himself.He was nothing like the cocky pretender who had taunted her day and night for four years, with his childish pranks and aggravating phone calls.

"Dad, do you have a razor I can borrow? I don't have one of my own." Jarod asked looking at his dad nervously.

"Son, I know why you don't have one. Um, Sydney told me. Why don't we go up together…"

"Forget it Dad. Just forget it," he spat angrily, shaking his head in disbelief. "I wouldn't want you worrying about me slitting my wrists in front of you! You know, I would have never guessed you, of all people, would believe I'd do such a selfish thing."

"I'm sorry, Son, I didn't mean to upset you." It's just that, I don't know much about things like this, and, well, you've been so sick." I just don't want anything else bad to happen to you. Come on, Jarod," the Major said with a gentle smile, putting his arm over his shoulder, "Why don't we go in the kitchen… "

"Back off, or I swear I'll take you out," he screamed, grabbing his dad by the shirt and pushing him forcefully away"

"Ok. Just calm down," Major Charles said in a steady voice, holding his hands up slightly, as he slowly put some more distance between himself and his angry son.

Over at the computer, Parker and Broots took in the argument, totally stunned, by Jarod's sudden outburst of anger.

The young man stood weaving slightly, staring in shock, as his dad fearfully moved away.

Overwhelmed with confusion, he frantically looked around for Sydney, who was no where to be seen.

"I'm so sorry, Dad, I don't know why I did that. I would never hurt you. You're my father."

Running his trembling fingers through his wet hair, he looked around at everyone, with haunted eyes, mumbling something indiscernible, then backed slowly away toward the stairs.

„Jarod, wait a minute. You look like you’re going to pass out. Why don’t you sit down for a minute? Everything is going to be alright," his Dad said concerned by his erratic behavior.

Jarod spun around knocking into an end table, sending its lamp crashing to the floor, in his hurry to make it to the stairs. Leaning heavily on the stair rail, he could barely make it up stairs, stricken with a panic attack.

Sydney came out of the kitchen with a fresh cup of coffee, just in time to see Jarod round the top of the stairs while everyone in the living room watched him, helpless to know what to do.

* * *


Moments later
Living room

"How, did Jarod sleep last night, Major?" Sydney asked realizing his patient was coming unglued.

"He had a pretty rocky night, suffering through several nightmares. After a while, I just couldn’t stay awake any more," he said shaking his head. „I really doubt if he got any decent sleep. When I got up this morning, he was sleeping restlessly. He, um, doesn’t look good at all."

The doctor walked over to the dinning room table and pulled a bottle and syringes out of the box sitting there and placed them in his doctor's bag.

"Would you mind fixing Jarod a light breakfast and some juice?"

"Of course not. I don't think he's eaten much of anything since we brought him here."

"Thank you, Major. Bring it up in a few minutes. I'm going to start your son on this new drug immediately and am putting him on bed rest for the day, at least. If he doesn't respond favorably to this, he will probably have to be put back in a hospital setting."

* * *

Jarod's bedroom
7:55 AM


When the psychiatrist entered his patient’s room, he found him lying face down on his bed racked with tears.

"Jarod? It's me, Sydney," he said gently rubbing the pretender on the back.

Please excuse me for interrupting your privacy, but I feel it's very important that I see
you now.

I'm so sorry for what happened to you down stairs. I should have intervened, when I first noticed how difficult your adjustment here had become. Your father is very concerned about you. He understands that you didn't mean anything by what you said or did. If it's all right with you, he's going to bring you up some breakfast in a little bit."

The pretender rolled over and sat up slowly, running his trembling fingers through his hair.

"Sydney, everything is getting out of control. I can't think straight any more," he confessed, pulling his knees protectively up to his chest as he sat there shaking.

"That's just what I came up here to talk to you about, Jarod. I believe I finally have some answers for you, but first I need to know some things and you're going to have to be straight with me."

"What kind of things?"

"Jarod, are you still hallucinating?"

The younger man started working with the edge of his sheet, for a few minutes, before answering.

"Yes, but not as badly as I used to. I see less colors and things look basically normal most of the time, except for the constant motion."

"Jarod, why didn't you tell me this."

"What would be the point. I've read all the studies on situations like this. There's really nothing anyone can do about it at this point," he said in despair, having forgotten the hypothesis he had been working on, the day before.

"I’m not so sure about that, Jarod. I would like to examine your eyes, if you don't mind," the older man said getting a small light out of his bag.Just as I suspected, your eyes are slightly dilated."

"How are your thought processed? Do you complete most of the thoughts you have?"

Jarod shook his head and looked away.

"There are just too many thoughts constantly bombarding me and it's difficult to keep them from tangling up. Lately, it's been becoming much harder to control. I'm just too exhausted to handle it anymore."

The psychiatrist could tell by his expression and the sound of his voice, that he was losing hope.

"Jarod, I have a new drug for you to try, which hopefully will help you recover. You will need a shot every 3 hours for the first 12, and then three times a day until this bottle is gone."

"What exactly is it?" he asked suspiciously, feeling his heart starting to race.

Sydney was afraid he would ask this and was unsure what to say. He didn’t want his patient remembering finding the drug in the box with the Centre file containing the photos of his torture, but he needed to take that chance. Jarod had lost so much of himself, and it was about time, he was given a part of it back. He owed it to him to let him know what he had accomplished.

„Jarod, do these papers look familiar to you? They are in your handwriting," he asked, handing them to the younger man.

The pretender scanned the papers quickly and looked up at Sydney in surprise.

„I had completely forgotten about these. It was some research I was working on based on the chemical formula of the drug Lyle injected me with. I got the preliminary information from the folder you left in my hospital room."

„That’s right. And further more, despite your hallucinations and disrupted thought processes, you were able to skillfully develop the proper chemical formula for a drug that would neutralized the effects of the drug you were given initially. Jarod, you should feel very proud of yourself. This latest project of yours, is pure genius."

The young man stared at his doctor in disbelief, as his words started to register.

Taking the bottle out of his bag, Sydney handed it to Jarod.

„This is the drug you have on your paper."

„I don’t understand. How is this possible?

„Apparently the Centre has had Mr. Raines working on a cure for some time now. This is the drug he developed; the same drug you developed, too. Here’s the paperwork. Compare it for yourself."

Sydney watched with incredible relief, as Jarod quickly ran through the other paperwork, seemingly coming back to life.

„They are exactly the same, except for the addition of a very common mood elevating drug. It would be harmless if used for a short period of time. I wonder why he would include that in this formula?" he commented more to himself than Sydney.

„Jarod, perhaps Raines realized you would be having on going problems with depression, considering what the overdose has been doing to your mind for such a prolonged period of time. I’m sure the Centre has not been pleased with him, for what he and Lyle did to you, and he wanted to make sure the drug gave optimal restorative results."

He let that comment slide, not wanting to dwell on the past, as he straightened the papers into a neat stack and place them on his nightstand. Unwanted images invaded his mind and he struggle against the sudden assault, wondering how much more he could bear.

„Jarod? Jarod look at me," Sydney said, noticing that Jarod seemed very distracted. There you go. If it’s alright with you, I’d like to get you started on this treatment today. What do you think?"

„I don’t want to live like this anymore. Go ahead, I have nothing to lose at this point," he said rubbing his eyes with his trembling hand, deeply shaken buy the images darting in and out of his mind.

Sydney felt the blood drain from his face as he listened to the pretender’s fatalistic words, realizing that if this didn’t work, he would probably attempt to end his life. It was frightening how quickly his patient was going down hill and he could sense he was running out of time.

„Just give me a moment," Sydney said hurriedly opening his bag.


"Is it all right if I come in, Jarod? I brought you something to eat," the Major asked slowly swinging the door open.

"Thanks, Dad," Jarod said with an abortive smile. I'm really sorry for how I treated you down stairs," he said, his voice cracking.

"Jarod, you're not the first son who ever got mad at his dad. I understand, completely," he said with a warm smile on his face. "Don’t let it get to you," the major said setting his breakfast down on his nightstand.

The pretender quickly looked away, as Sydney filled the syringe and tapped it letting a little spray into the air, not wanting to have another flashback.

"Here you go. Let me give you your shot, and then you can visit with your dad for a little bit. I want you to stay in bed today and rest, while I see how you do on this."

The young man pushed up his sleeve, still looking away, as Sydney gave him the injection, watching him carefully for adverse reactions.

Almost immediately, he collapsed against his pillow, as his body and mind relaxed completely for the first time in weeks. A rush of euphoria washed over him and he held the sheets tightly, hoping the intense feeling would level off.

"Jarod, are you all right?" Sydney asked in alarm as he lay there limp as a rag, with tears streaming down his face.

„My God, what’s happening to my son?"

„I don’t know. Jarod, can you hear me? Tell me what you’re experiencing?"

Jarod’s eyes lost their glazed look and he began to smile, as the overwhelming flood of euphoria started to level off

„I’m not sure, but I feel really strange. Things are beginning to look different. The colors are starting to fade and everything is starting to slow down," he said looking at his father and smiling.

„Why are you crying, Jarod?"

„I’m just so happy to finally have some relief. I think the hallucinogen is starting to wear off."

„Thank you, Sydney," he said and started to cry again.

„Jarod, you need to thank yourself for finding a cure," he said patting him on the shoulder.

There was a brief silence and then the pretender became very talkative. He began discussing a random series of things he liked including, Pez, ice cream and Miss Parker’s legs.

„Jarod, I believe we can discuss those things later," the doctor said glancing over at Major Charles.

"Can you sit up if we stack your pillows? I was hoping you would eat something," Sydney said eyeing him with interest.

"You stack `em and I'll just slide right up," Jarod said with a toothy smile, looking more then anything else as if he were inebriated.

The two men exchanged amused looks and Sydney shrugged his shoulders.

„I’ve got a good idea. Why don’t you help me up and we’ll all go down stairs for a bowel of ice cream to celebrate. Broots has a carton in the freezer called something like, gravel road."

"You better just stay put for a while, Jarod. Try to eat some breakfast and get some rest. I have some things I need to attend to. He's all yours, Major. I'll be back in a while to see how things are going."

"Thank you, Sydney. This is sure a big relief."

* * *

Downstairs: Living room
8:55 AM Central standard time

"How is Jarod, Sydney? Is he going to be alright?" Miss Parker asked, trying to keep her emotions in check.

Broots stood a short distance away with Joe, listening for his answer.

The older man raised his eyebrows, as he struggled to keep a straight face.

"Oh, I don't think you need to worry about Jarod right now. I just gave him his first shot of that drug Raines developed for him and it seems to be actually working. Also, he's higher than a kite. I think Raines has developed a sense of humor."

"Ja Jarod is high?" Broots asked with an amused look on his face, wonderingwhat the pretender was acting like.

"So, our boy is feeling no pain, huh Syd?"

"Oh, I'd say that about sums it up, Parker," he said turning his attention to Joe.

"Good morning, Joe. When did you get here?"

"About 25 minutes ago, Sir."

"Broots any movement on the Centre front yet?" Sydney asked anxiously, as he walked over to the computer.

"Well, I'm doing a search right now. Hmm, here's something. Oh oh, this is bad. This is really bad," the frightened man said opening up the email. Angelo just sent us a message with an attachment."

"What does it say?"

"Leave now."

"Good Lord!" Sydney breathed realizing that they may die yet.

"Broots what is the attachment?" Miss Parker asked urgently, leaning over his shoulder.

It's an email from Mr. Parker's computer, from a man named Mr. Lucas, FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C. This is not good. This is not good at all!

"Skip the commentary, Broots. Open it!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Just been informed that surveillance has had you and your people in its cross-hairs for some time now. Better set out some rat traps. Tomorrow a bad day for flying. Don't contact my office. Have a little cleanup of my own to attend to. Perhaps you would consider wrapping up your business early. 11008 119th Quveria Road. Overland Park, Kansas

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"That's our address," the computer tech stammered, feeling shear terror for the first time, since this nightmare began.

"Broots, reroute the Centre information to another FBI location and send it now," the doctor ordered hoping all their labor wasn't in vain.

"Pack it up, Boys! We're out of here," Miss Parker said exchanging a worried look with Sydney.

"While, we're packing it up, any ideas as to where we're going?"

"Give me a moment, Parker."

"Broots, when was that e-mail sent to Mr. Parker?" he asked, his wheels turning.

"Um, 5 minutes ago. Angelo didn't waste anytime getting it tous."

"Excuse me, everyone," Joe said speaking for the first time. I've rented a farmhouse on 22 acres, about 10 miles outside of town. Maybe we should move the party there."

"Not bad, Joe. Not bad at all," Miss Parker said with a sly smile.

"Sydney?"

"Yes, that will do nicely. I'll be back after the Major and I throw some things together and get Jarod ready to go. Let's move people, while we still have a window of opportunity! God bless you, Angelo," hewhispered like a reverent prayer.

* * *

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Mr. Parker's Office
8:35 AM Eastern time

"It's clean, Mr. Parker. Found a couple of bugs in here and several scattered around the other offices. My cleaners report that they are almost finished sweeping the rest of the building. I haven't got a clue how these got in here, but it's safe to talk now."

"Good job. That will be all now, Paige."

"Yes, Sir."

Mr. Parker took a moment to review some papers on his desk and then looked up at the people assembled around him.

"Mr. Lyle, you are in charge of the retrieval project. What the hell are you calling it now?"

"Ink blot" Sir," he said sitting uncomfortably, sweating profusely in his custom made silk suit.

"How the hell were your targets able to set up such an elaborate scheme, right under your nose?"

"I'm still trying to figure that one out, Sir. If it's any consolation, sweepers have picked up the FBI surveillance team that's been watching us. My men have them down in SL 27 under-going interrogations right now. I'm expecting a report on their findings within the hour. I believe we'll be able to contain all leaks. As far as our runaways go, I have two sweeper teams in the air right now, to bring them home. They'll be using a little airport in Gardner, Kansas. From there, they'll drive the rest of the way in to make their pick up. No one will be the wiser."

"When I get my hands on Sydney, Broots and my daughter. Lyle, I want you to personally be in charge of their reeducation," Mr. Parker said seething with anger.

"Thank you, Sir. Any way I can help will be gratifying," Lyle said feeling suddenly giddy.

"What about Jarod and his father?"

"They shouldn't be a problem. I've included a psychiatrist in the first team to deal personally with Jarod. I'm sure his father will fall in place for his son's sake. Jarod will be an excellent tool for getting Major Charles to reveal the location of Gemini. There's nothing more moving than a close father son relationship," Lyle said watching his own dad squirm at the comment.

"Lyle, just don't you forget that nothing further is to happen to Jarod. Is that understood."

"Absolutely, Sir."

" I want the Centre on full alert and extra armed sweepers assigned to every level, Lyle. Gentlemen, that will be all for now."


* * *

Outside Miss Parker and Broots rental house
Overland Park, Kansas
9:15 AM

Joe brought out two more bags and helped Broots load them in the trunk.

„You have quite a little arsenal in here," Joe commented eyeing the assortment of weapons and ammunition carefully packed towards the back.

„Um, well, they they aren’t really mine, but you never know what you’ll need when well, I don’t want to talk about it."

„Sure, Broots. I’ll get in my car. Just give me a wave when you’re ready."

„Oh yeah, ok, Joe."

"Are all the bags in the car?" the nervous man asked setting the computer carefully in the trunk.

"Yes, go ahead and close it," Sydney said getting into the back seat with Jarod.

"Broots, hurry up," Miss Parker said scooting in beside Jarod on the other side.

The computer tech slid in the driver's seat next to Major Charles and hurriedly pulled out, following Joe's car, as they sped out of town.

"Son, how are you doing?" his dad asked looking over the seat at him.

Jarod was having a little trouble keeping from sliding way down in the seat as he sat there with a funny expression on his face.

"Just fine, Dad," he said patting Miss Parker on the thigh with a big grin on his face.

Miss Parker looked down at him and shook her head in amusement, lifting his hand and putting it back in his lap.

Moments later, he was playing with his seatbelt and popped it open.

"Ops, now I've done it," he said trying to put the flat part back in the slot and mumbling something about a square peg in a round hole.

"Jarod, why don't you try to get some sleep. It will do you good," his doctor suggested, feeling edgy and wondering how long the car trip would be.

"Sydney, I'll sure give it a lot of consideration," Jarod said, looking over at Miss Parker and giving her a wink.

„That’s some drug you have our boy on. When will he snap out of it?"

"I have no idea, Parker, „ Sydney said watching the pretender mesmerized by something outside the window.

„Jarod, it would be best if you would try to relax. Just lean your head back and try to go to sleep."

The young man smiled at Sydney and nodded in agreement. He gently snuggled down next to Parker, who gave the psychiatrist a frustrated look.

"What can I say, Parker? Jarod isn't quite himself right now," Sydney said enjoying her displeasure.

* * *

Approximately 35 min. later

Kicking up gravel and dust, Broots gunned it and veered off onto a dirt road, slamming everyone back in their seats

"What the hell is going on up there, Broots?" Miss Parker yelled.

The Major glance over the seat. "We're being tailed."

"Dear lord," Sydney breathed.

"Move it, Broots," Miss Parker yelled, her gun trained on the approaching car.

Jarod flipped off his seat belt and started to move, but his doctor grabbed his shoulder and pulling him down hard.

"Stay put, Jarod."

"Forget it. You need me. Give me your gun, Sydney. There’s no way I’m letting them take us back."

Realizing how lucid he was now, he weighed their options and relented.

„Alright, Jarod, here you go."

„It doesn’t look like anyone from the Centre," Miss Parker yelled, as Jarod abruptly pulled her down and the rear windshield exploded.

Ignoring the painful shards they returned fire as one.

Sydney wiped blood from the side of his face and slid down further in his seat.

Shattering their windshield and mortally wounding the gunman, Jarod went for the driver, who dove out of the way barely grazed.

„Where the hell is Joe?" Broots screamed, hitting the gas and holding on for dear life, in a frantic attempt to lose them.

Parker wounded the driver just as their car swerved and the rest of her bullets went wild.

„Broots keep the damn car on the road!" Parker yelled as she slammed another clip into her gun.

„What the hell do you think I’m tying to do?"

Pitching the corpse out the door, another gunman took his seat, and returned fire. Major Charles doubled over in pain, as a stray bullet struck him in the arm.

„God, the Major’s been hit."

„How bad?" Jarod asked looking around, suddenly pale.

„I’m fine, watch what you’re doing."

Horrified, Broots lost it, as a direct hit shattered their windshield sending their car flying off the road and into an open field.

Wincing in pain, Major Charles grabbed the wheel and cranked it hard, cutting back onto road, while Broots reduced speed and regained control.

Kicking up dust, Joe reappeared and joined the fray, ramming the side of the black car, while ducking bullets, in an attempt to push them off the road

The driver returned the favor, crushing in the side of his car.

Determined to take them down, Joe rammed them again sending them reeling
for a moment.

„Aim for a tire, while I cover you," Jarod shouted, slamming another clip into his gun.

Miss Parker nailed their front tire, and the black car went straight for the ditch, flipped over twice and burst into flames.