Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters. They belong to NBC, Pretender Productions, and others. I’m just borrowing them for my Pretender fanfic story. No money is changing hands on this. Please don’t sue me, as I have no money. This story is purely for entertainment and promotions of my favorite show, The Pretender.

Time is quickly running out. Sydney, Parker and Broots attempt to complete their task and grudgingly welcome a new player. As Jarod desperately fights his own internal battle, will he be emotionally equipped to face off with the Centre? Note: Part 11 and 12 tell what happened earlier on this day.



In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 13
by jojarod50




Miss Parker and Broots’ rental home
Overland Park, Kansas
8:40 PM


Major Charles stood back trying to enjoy the crackle of the fire he had just lit, as it took off, illuminating the fireplace with a warm friendly glow. Looking out the window, he noticed it was still raining fairly hard out side. He shivered involuntarily remembering the soaking he and Sydney had gotten, chasing Jarod down in the park after he had fled the hospital a couple of hours ago. They had been desperate to find him, knowing that he would never make it on the outside in his condition. Seeing Jarod so panic-stricken and desperate, believing sweepers were after him, was hard for his father to bare. Those evil men would pay dearly for what they did to his son, the Major swore under his breath.

Glancing over at Jarod, who was opening a package at the dinning room table, he couldn’t help but wonder how his son could keep going after all he had been through today. Just this morning, he had been totally incapacitated by a horrifying flashback and had needed to be sedated. Major Charles still felt the anguish he had experienced when Sydney had broken the news to him.

The Major noticed Miss Parker off in the distance watching Jarod. He was aware of Jarod’s visit with Miss Parker early this morning and felt very uneasy about her interest in him. He couldn’t wait until he could take Jarod far away from all these Centre fugitives, after all they had done to him. It was a constant struggle for him to try to forgive them, after their involvement in Jarod’s suffering, unlike his son, who amazed him with his compassion.

He was also worried about how Jarod would take the news that the Centre would be in town within 48 hours. Claiming a cozy chair by the fireplace, he observed the young man, as he scanned a folder and emptied the contents of the box, setting each item carefully on the table except one that he held in his hand as if it were something of extreme value.

„Well, what was in the box?" the Major asked crossing over to Jarod, his curiosity getting the better of him.

Jarod let out a muffled cry, dropping something small in a wrapper on the rug, as he backed away from his dad struggling to catch his breath.

„My God, Jarod, what’s the matter with you? You act like you’re scared to death of me."

„I’m…sorry, Dad. You just… startled me, that’s all," Jarod said rubbing his hand over his eyes as he stooped down to retrieve the little package.

„Angelo sent me some Pez," he said with a child like look on his face as he quickly stuffed it in his jean pocket.

The Major managed a smile masking his concern for his son that had just gone up to a new level.

„What else did you get?" Major Charles asked eyeing a Centre file, bottles of clear liquid, and a bunch on syringes scattered on the table.

„It’s apparently some kind of drug therapy Raines had earmarked for me after my imminent return," Jarod said, his voice trembling, as he hurriedly putting the bottles and syringes back in the box and closing the top.

„Excuse me for a minute," Jarod said leaving the room with an unsteady gate and heading upstairs.

Miss Parker stood near the kitchen, where she had been watching Jarod and his father, intrigued by their relationship. She wondered what it’d be like to have such a caring father, but regretted even thinking it, as her eyes welled up with unwanted tears.

****

The front door swung open and Sydney entered carrying some files and a small white sack, which he hurriedly set down on a chair near the door.

„Miss Parker, Broots, Major Charles, and Jarod, there is someone here I’d like you to meet."

„Who is it, Syd?" Miss Parker said feeling around to her back for her gun as Major Charles and Broots joined her at the door.

„Where’s Jarod?"

„He just went up stairs," his dad said with a strained look on his face, which Sydney picked up on immediately.

„What’s wrong?"

„I’m not sure, but from what he said, I think he might have figured out the Centre is coming for him. There must have been something about that included in the package he received," the Major said giving him a serious look.

„Ok, well, let’s do this first. Joe Clark is here and would like to join our endeavor against the Centre. I believe he could be of great use to us considering his connections in law enforcement," Sydney said with a sly smile, eyeing the group for reactions.

„I don’t know, Syd. It’s pretty risky taking on a new player this late in the game. Especially someone none of us knows," Miss Parker said pointedly.

„Well, he, um, checked out just fine. I mean, well, I think," Broots said thinking back on all the information he had just read on the computer."

„You say this man saved my son? I’d like to meet him," Major Charles said cautiously optimistic.

„I’ll keep a close eye on him. Where is he Syd?" Miss Parker said hating the timing of this.

Sydney went to the door and opened it revealing a large burly man with kind eyes and a slightly nervous look on his face standing on the porch barely out of the rain.

"Joe I have some people that would like to meet you," Sydney said ushering him into the foyer.

„This is Major Charles, Jarod’s father."

Shaking Joe’s hand firmly, the Major thanked him sincerely for rescuing his son.

„So, Mr. Clark, you trailed Jarod and Sydney all the way here from Trenton, New Jersey and then straight to our doorstep. You must be a very determined man," Miss Parker said giving him an icy stare.

„It, um, it wasn’t easy. You people are incredibly stealthy. Mame, you can call me Joe, if you like," Joe said smiling and holding out his hand.

„Save it, Joe. And you can call me Miss Parker," she said with a smug superior smile on her face as she folded her arms.

Joe glanced at Sydney and noticed his amused knowing look.

„I’m Broots, Joe. Glad to meet you," he said proffering his hand. „We could sure use some help, I mean, well, it’s not like we can’t do this, I just mean… well, I’m sure with your background you’ll be helpful.

„Well, I sure am looking forward to getting involved. I’ve been slamming into brick wall after brick wall, and now, it’s like a miracle to meet up with you people."

„Joe, if you’ll excuse me for a minute, I need to go check on Jarod. Why don’t you all get to know each other."

„Thank you," Joe said, slightly more at ease.

„Yes, welcome to the Hospitality House," Miss Parker said sarcastically turning on her heel and heading into the kitchen for a stiff drink.

Joe stared at her with a puzzled look, as she walked away.

„Don’t mind her. It’s just her way," Broots explained, realizing what kind of first impression she had made.

Joe gave him a tight smile, rather amused by her obvious predilection for dominance.

* * *

Sydney took the Major aside to talk privately.

„Major Charles, maybe you should stay put. I’d like to talk to Jarod first, if that’s alright with you."

„Sure, Sydney. Whatever you think. Just help my son, please. He’s not doing very well, is he?" Jarod’s dad asked with tears in his eyes. „Jarod seems to be rapidly going down hill to me. Can’t you do something?"

„Major, I’m doing everything I can, but you must understand, there are always setbacks along the way. Recovery takes time. There are just too many things being thrown at Jarod right now, which unfortunately can’t be avoided. If things become too difficult for him, there are other options we can take. He’s got a very strong will. Don’t write him off just yet. Let me go see how he’s doing. Maybe you should try to relax and have something to eat. I’ll be back in a little bit. Ok?"

* * *

Sydney climbed the stairs, relieved to have the situation with Joe resolved, but with renewed concern for Jarod. He was well aware that his patient had had too much to deal with already today. Damn Raines and Lyle to hell for causing this.

Removing Jarod from his relatively safe hospital environment and throwing him into a totally new arrangement with former Centre players was just one more stressful thing stacked up against him. The timing on this is really lousy, he thought shaking his head.

Sydney knew he must tell Jarod about the Centre’s plans, if he hadn’t already figured it out. He hated the position he was in, because he wasn’t sure if Jarod could handle any more stress right now. He’d have to play that one by ear. Sydney just hoped the Major was wrong about Jarod already knowing about the Centre. Without all the information, Jarod might go over the edge like he had at the hospital.

* * *

Sydney went down the hallway looking in different rooms trying to find Jarod.
He finally found him in Miss Parker’s room siting on the floor in the corner by the bed rocking himself gently, his head hidden in his arms.

„Jarod?" Sydney said sadly realizing his patient had already been pushed over the edge.

Jarod said nothing but kept rocking himself.

Sydney glanced around noticing the empty Pez container and candy rectangles in a neat little pile beside it not far from where Jarod sat.

„Jarod, can you hear me?" the psychiatrist asked realizing that Jarod was trapped in another flashback and wondering if the Major might have been right.
.
Jarod remained totally unresponsive.

Sydney knelt down beside him torn apart by what he saw.

„There you two are. I wondered where you went," Miss Parker said standing there with the door wide open. „Better get down stairs, boys, the Pizzas have finally arrived."

Her heart skipped a beat as she saw what was going on.

„Sydney?"

„I’m not sure."

After observing him for several minutes he decided it was time to intervene.

Holding Jarod still, the doctor lifted Jarod’s face and saw the blank expression in his glazed eyes.

„Jarod, look at me," Sydney said in a gentle voice.

It seemed like an eternity before Jarod became vaguely responsive, his eyes wandering toward his face.

Sydney was really starting to worry, but Jarod finally started to come out of the fog.
He blinked his eyes slowly seeing Sydney’s face but it barely registered.

Sydney waited impatiently for Jarod to come around, as he sat there staring at the doctor.

Glancing up he noticed Miss Parker was staring at them, worry written all over her face.

It took a few minutes before Jarod was lucid enough to be asked questions.
.
„What happened, Jarod?" Sydney asked relieved to see some intelligence in his eyes.

„I’m not sure," Jarod said, still very confused, „Maybe I took another walk on the wild side."

„Here, let me help you up," Sydney offered, helping Jarod get to his feet.

„Excuse me, Miss Parker, I appear to be in your room," Jarod said noticing the pink robe on the chair and the perfume, comb, and brush on the table.

„Just let me know where my room is and I’ll be out of your hair," Jarod said fighting to stay upright and feeling totally humiliated again.

„Why don’t you sit down for a minute," Miss Parker said too late watching him stagger out the door and realizing she’d better just show him.

„Jarod, you’re next door to me," she said grateful he didn’t have far to go.

„Thanks," the pretender said softly walking in and shutting the door behind him.

„Sydney, is he going to be alright?"

Sydney bit his lip and gave her an unconvincing nod as he left to go talk to Jarod.

He was aware that Jarod hadn’t had anything to eat today and that he needed to get him over this so that he would.

The psychiatrist found it disturbing to find Jarod rocking himself just as an extremely traumatized child would.

Whatever had happened to Jarod, he had obviously been unable to deal with it.

* * *


„Jarod, could I talk to you for a few minutes?"

„The door’s unlocked."

When Sydney went in, Jarod was sitting on the bed staring across the room at the wall his expression bewildered.

„Jarod, how are you feeling?"

„Fine, well, pretty light-headed."

„Do you remember what happened to you in Miss Parker’s room?"

Jarod slowly shook his head. „No. I don’t even remember coming upstairs."

„What is the last thing you remember?"

Jarod appeared to be struggling to come up with an answer, then finally looked up and mentioned being given the package from Angelo.

„Did you open the package?"

„No, I don’t think so."

„Jarod, where did you get the Pez I saw by you in Miss Parker’s room?" Sydney asked, realizing something in the package must have triggered a horrifying flashback that Jarod simply couldn’t handle.

„Pez?"

„Never mind, Jarod. Do you feel like having something to eat? You really can’t skip any more meals today," Sydney said giving Jarod a hopeful look.

„Ok."

„Jarod, how would you like to meet Joe Clark?" Sydney asked cautiously, knowing it was unavoidable.

Jarod gave him a curious look.

„Yes, I would. Do you know where to reach him?"

„Jarod, he’s down stairs right now," Sydney said observing him carefully for any negative reaction.

Jarod broke into a nervous smile.

„I need to apologize to him," he said starting to get up.

„Wait, Jarod. Maybe you should relax for a little bit first."

„Sydney, I’m fine. Don’t worry about it," Jarod said wishing he could quit having setbacks like this, as he headed out the door pausing only once to regain his balance.

Sydney watched him head down stairs amazed at his resiliency and courage.

* * *

Major Charles was standing by the foot of the stairs when Jarod came down anxious to see how his son was doing.

„Jarod, I was worried about you. You looked so upset when you went upstairs. What happened?"

„I don’t remember, Dad. I’d rather not talk about it right now. Ok?" Jarod asked looking very uncomfortable.

„Sure Jarod, what ever you want," Major Charles managed with an understanding smile.

„Sydney said Joe Clark was here; have you met him yet?" Jarod asked looking around.

„Yeah, he’s in the kitchen getting some Pizza. Why don’t you get some, too, Jarod? You must be really hungry," the Major suggested looking at his watch.

Jarod headed for the kitchen, as Miss Parker and Sydney came down the stairs.

„Where is Joe?" Sydney asked feeling very pressed to discuss the Centre with Jarod.

„In the kitchen. What happened upstairs?"

„We may never know, Major. Excuse me, I need to make sure Joe doesn’t say anything to set off Jarod again," Sydney said with a wane smile.

* * *

„I appreciate all you did for me, more than you’ll ever know," Jarod managed his brown eyes glistening with sudden unshed tears. „I don’t know how I could ever repay you," he said his voice charged with emotion.

„Hey, kid, don’t worry about it. You were in a really bad way out there. Your doctor said you don’t even remember anything about what happened. Is that really true?" Joe asked wondering what he would say.

„I don’t think the kinds of things I’ve been remembering would be of any use to you," Jarod said regretfully, trying to shake off the images that were suddenly flooding his mind.

„Hi, Joe, nice to see you again," Sydney said inserting himself into the conversation.

„Yes it is, Dr. Best. I’m really grateful to finally get to talk to Jarod. This is certainly a lot less painful than our last meeting," Joe mused looking over at Jarod, as he remembered their fight back at the hospital.

„Yeah, I’m really sorry about that. I kind of lost it back there," Jarod admitted feeling uneasy.

„Hey, that’s understandable. After what those goons did to you I don’t blame you at all. I see your fingernails are growing back. I didn’t think they would with all those toothpicks they crammed under them. You’ve really had a hard time of it from what I remember. When I found you, you were wiped out on drugs and bloody…"

„Excuse me, Joe, I need to talk to you for a little bit and Jarod hasn’t had a chance to eat today. Jarod why don’t you go fill up a plate. You can talk to Joe later." Sydney said regretting that Jarod had ever met Joe, after seeing the devastated look on Jarod’s face.

„Let’s talk in the other room, Joe," Sydney said with such intensity that Joe realized he must have said something wrong.

„Ok, Dr. Best," he said as they left the room together.

* * *

Broots had been getting a cup of coffee and took in the whole thing. He watched Jarod standing there looking at his nails with an angry sick look on his face.

„Hey Jarod," Broots said realizing how bad Jarod must be feeling, „There’s plenty of pizza left. I think I ordered too much. Have you ever tried a supreme stuffed crust pizza? It’s my personal favorite," he said loading some on a plate and handing it to Jarod.

„Oh, um, thanks, Broots," Jarod said with a slight smile, putting the plate down and walking over to the window across the room.

„Jarod, you real really need to um eat something. I over heard what Sydney said about you not having eaten.

„I know… It’s just been kind of a hard day."

„Hey, I have an idea. How about some rocky road ice cream? Jarod, its double chocolate fudge with marshmallows and nuts."

Jarod turned around smiling and slightly nodded.

„Thanks, Broots," he said studying his caring eyes. „I’d like to try some of that."

„You would? Great, two rocky roads coming right up. You won’t be sorry," Broots said grinning and hoping he and Jarod could become friends. He knew Jarod could sure use one about now.

* * *

After the ice cream and some small talk, Broots and Jarod joined everyone in the living room. Broots went to check on the fire and decided it needed more logs.

Jarod, nearly exhausted, sat quietly on the couch listening to Sydney, Joe and his Dad’s casual conversation.

Miss Parker was sitting in a chair by the fire looking at some papers. Jarod had trouble keeping his eyes off her. She looked so beautiful in the glow of the fire. He couldn’t remember the last time he could just enjoy being in the same room with her. There was something different about her; something soft and tender that reminded him of the girl he had fallen for so many years ago.

As if she knew he was watching her, Parker looked up from her papers and looked right at him smiling a little bit. Jarod smiled back wondering what it would be like for her to be the last thing he looked at before he closed his eyes at night.

Suddenly he realized how pointless it was to imagine Miss Parker in his life, and fought to contain his rage at what the Centre had done to him.

Jarod vaguely realized that Sydney was now standing right by him.

„Jarod, you look really tired. Could I talk to you before it gets any later?"

„What’s this about?"

„It’s about the project I mentioned that we were working on. I need a cup of coffee. Would you mind joining me in the kitchen?"

Jarod nodded and they went into the kitchen.

* * *

„How are you feeling besides being very tired, Jarod? Sydney asked hoping this conversation would be uneventful, as he eyed the exhausted young man.

„I’m fine. Just get to the point, Sydney," Jarod said irritably, feeling fed up with this kid glove treatment and hating himself for needing it.

„All right, Jarod," Sydney said choosing his words carefully.

„We have been working on a project called Operation Download. Miss Parker and Broots have been selectively preparing sensitive incriminating Centre information to be down loaded and sent to the FBI. The moment Lyles two teams take flight and head in our direction, which will take place within the next 48 hours, Angelo will inform us and Broots will initiate the program." Sydney was watching Jarod carefully and noticed a decidedly positive reaction from him as his lips curled into a sly smile.

„And the FBI will meet Lyle’s plane at the airport when it lands."

„Yes, Jarod. There is also a team in place to pick up Mr. Parker, Raines, and Mutombo, along with all the other key players. They have been under surveillance for quite some time now. Well, those, at least, are some of the main details of the project."

Jarod chuckled as he stood up and walked over to the sink to get a drink of water.

Sydney was pleasantly surprised at his reaction and enjoyed the moment with extreme satisfaction.

„There are some things I know about the Mainframe that might be useful to you," Jarod offered breaking into a big yawn.

„Perhaps later, Jarod. We still have a cushion of time and you look like you could use some sleep, if you don’t mind my saying so."

„I could say the same thing about you, Doctor Best," Jarod said his fatigue and frustration getting the best of him.

Sydney was surprised at his sudden anger and it showed.

„Sorry Sydney, it’s just that sometimes, I just want to be my old self instead of a helpless…."

„Jarod, don’t give up. It’s just going to take time. You’re going to make it, but it would be better if you wouldn’t push yourself so hard."

Jarod thought about what he said with a despondent look on his face, letting out a long sigh. „Yeah, you’re probably right. See you tomorrow."

He looked like he was going to say something else, but shook his head and walked away.

* * *

Miss Parker looked up from her paperwork and watched Jarod go up stairs. She had hoped to spend some time with him and wondered if he was going to bed for the night.

„Sydney, how did your conversation with Jarod go? He doesn’t look very good to me."

„Oh, he loved the idea and wants to help, but he’s having an extremely difficult time accepting his limitations, as you can well imagine. After all, we are talking about Jarod. He’s never had to deal with anything remotely like this and sometimes it really works on him. He’ll be better if he sleeps well tonight."

„Well, maybe he needs someone besides a stuffy old doctor to cheer him up," Miss Parker said giving him a playful wink.

„Parker…"

„What Syd?"

„Be careful with him. He’s extremely vulnerable right now."

„Don’t worry, I will."

* * *

„Jarod, have you gone to bed or would you like a little company?"
Miss Parker stood there for a minute or so, not hearing a reply, then decided he wanted to be alone.

As she started to leave, his door swung open and there he stood with big brown curious eyes.

„Why Miss Parker, did you finish your paperwork?" Jarod asked giving her an appraising look that made her shiver.

„You noticed. Leave it to a pretender," she said giving him a seductive look. „There’s still plenty of work to be done, if you’d like to volunteer."

The look on his face told her that she had hit the spot.

„I have been pretty bored lately, Miss Parker," he said truthfully, breaking into a big smile.

„Well, are we going to have this conversation in the hall way or are you going to ask me to come in? she said definitely flirting with him."

„Oh, um, I’m sorry. Sure, come on in," Jarod said, a little off balance, glancing down the hall way toward the stairs.

* * *

Jarod and Miss Parker had been talking for well over two hours, just like they used to, bearing their souls to each other. It was a real catharsis for both of them. Jarod had never found anyone who he could be so open with. It had always been like they were meant to be together

They sat on the couch in his huge bedroom. He had his arm around her and she was resting against his shoulder.

„Jarod, you make me feel so safe. I never thought I could let my guard down to anyone again after losing Thomas," she said touching his cheek, looking deeply into his beautiful brown eyes.

Slowly he looked away and let out a heavy sigh.

„Jarod, what are you thinking?

„Oh, lot’s of things. If only things could be different right now," he said, as his eyes became glassy. I think I’m falling in love with you all over again."

They both fell silent for a moment lost in their own thoughts.

„Jarod, I wouldn’t be able to bare it if you left me again.
I never realized the cost of being adversaries, until now," she said looking up at him with longing eyes. I lost you, I lost myself, I lost everything."

Jarod pushed a lock of hair away from her eyes as she spoke.

„I feel like I’m waking up from a long horrible nightmare and here you are," she said taking his hands in hers and pulling them around her waist.

„You called me a survivor, but the Centre never claimed your soul like it did mine. It’s amazing that even with your world collapsing all around you, you never once compromised yourself. Not even for a moment. You’re like a ray of light showing me the way back home."

He looked away as she said this, but she brought his attention back to her.

„Look, Jarod, You never deserved to have your life stolen from you. I am so sorry for my part in making yours a living hell. I wish to God that you would let me help you find some real happiness, but I’d understand if you couldn’t. Frankly, I’ve been permeated with bitterness and hatred for so long, that now, without them I hardly know who I am."

Jarod felt overcome with sympathy, as he listened to her anguish, wanting desperately to take away her pain.

„Don’t be afraid of who you are, Miss Parker. No one can control you any more. I’ve always been able to see straight through what they tried to make you be. You have always been beautiful to me."

Jarod turned in toward her and cupped her face with his hands and kissed her tenderly, realizing how lost and vulnerable she was feeling, with a deep sadness in his heart.

Miss Parker smiled and gave him an appraising look, as she ran her fingers through his rich brown hair, feeling the overpowering attraction to him that she had experienced the other times they had been near.

Jarod closed his eyes for a moment as she caressed his face and moved her hand down his chest.

Leaning in, she kissed him with far more passion then she had known would be there. Pulling away, Jarod desperately tried to contain his emotions, realizing things were changing too fast.

Noticing his flushed face, she was struck by his apparent shyness she pressed her body against his as she closed the gap, her lips barely brushing his.

Loosing the battle, he kissed her gently at first, drinking in her beauty. Then closing his eyes, his kisses grew much deeper, inflaming her desire for him. Intoxicated with passion, Jarod pulled her down to the couch, breathing heavily as he hungrily kissed her, moving down to her neck as he fingered the buttons on her blouse.

Suddenly Jarod sat up.

„God, what was I thinking? I can’t do this. Not now."

„I’m sorry, Miss Parker, you’re going to have to go, before I do something really stupid."

„Jarod, please don’t," Miss Parker said breathing heavily, completely baffled by his reaction.

He stood up shaking his head as he tried to catch his breath. Frustrated he ran his fingers through his hair and glared at her.

„No, Miss Parker, don’t you understand? There’s no way this is going to work. I’m…I’m mentally ill. What on earth do you want with me?! Please, just leave."

„Jarod, you’re going to get better," she said, her eyes filling with tears as she saw the tortured took on his face.

„Just get out of here!"

„Alright, Jarod. I’ll leave for now. I’m so sorry," she said realizing he was totally devastated and feeling guilty for pressuring him into something he wasn’t ready for.

„Me too," the pretender said, his voice cracking.

„Me too," he whispered closing his eyes as he heard the door close behind him.

* * *