Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters. They belong to NBC, Pretender Productions, and others. I’m just borrowing them for my Pretender fanfic story. No money has or will be made off this story. Please don’t sue me, as I have no money.
This story is purely for entertainment and promotion of my favorite show, The Pretender.

Jarod’s memory is rapidly crashing in on him and he’s struggling to come to terms with what Lyle and Raines did to him. Sydney, his former captor/mentor, has become his psychiatrist and link to sanity. With Broots, Miss Parker, and Major Charles aboard, and evil forces closing in, Sydney will have the backup he needs, but will it be enough to stop the Centre. 4/1/00




In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 12
by jojarod50




Menninger Psychiatric Hospital
Overland Park, Kansas
Room 319
3:05 PM


The last thing Sydney had said to Jarod before he left was that he wanted him to relax and do something that made him happy. Happy, what on earth is that? I can’t remember, Jarod thought, as he stared out the window watching a thunderstorm roll in. How apropos Jarod mused as he reflected bitterly on the mess he was in. He knew that if he were going to survive, he would have to regain control of his mind, and deal decisively with the graphic flashbacks of the torture he had endured. What he found deeply disturbing was the deterioration of his mind’s ability to do that. The horrifying flashbacks seemed to be becoming more crippling emotionally. On top of that, he felt as if he were still locked into some kind of weird chemical high, making it extremely difficult to think straight. What if there is some invasive chemical from that overdose, which hasn’t dissipated and is still reeking havoc in my brain, he hypothesized. Maybe that’s the angle to work on.

Well, on the plus side, if I can’t beat this Mr. Parker will probably loose interest in having his daughter drag their damaged pretender back to the Centre. Visions of Miss Parker training a gun on him came to mind, making him wince. Miss Parker the unrelenting huntress, he thought wearily rubbing the back of his neck.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Jarod noticed the rain had started to trickle down the windowpane. He could see people down below hurrying to their cars or toward the hospital entrance trying to get out of the rain. For several minutes, he stood there wondering which ones were happy or sad, struggling to get well, or loosing a loved one, and if any of them felt as alone as he did. He knew some of them probably did.

Jarod thought about Miss Parker, too. He was genuinely confused by her sudden shift in attitude toward him. After four years of mercilessly stalking him, it was totally illogical for her to suddenly care about him in the way she had more than alluded to. Feeling uneasy, he started to pace as he went over his conversation with her. A smile flickered across his face, as he remembered their romantic interlude in the Memorial gardens and how beautiful she had looked.

My feelings are clouding my judgement he thought as he tried refocusing on the facts, knowing he was loosing his objectivity. He was painfully aware of his loneliness and how he longed for someone to be close to. Voices in his head were telling him to run like hell; that this was all just a Centre trick to win his trust. What a sick lie that would be, he thought sadly. Jarod was still plagued with voices in his head, but had decided that they were not real and had learned to pretty much ignore them.

There was no denying how thin and weak he was and how little it took for him to slide into an incapacitating flashback or anxiety attack. It would be child’s play for Miss Parker to take him back to the Centre.

Memories of his last horrifying flashback were still making him terribly nauseous. He was so tired of feeling sick. A sudden flash of lightening followed by a loud clap of thunder startled him. Just what I need, another thunderstorm to send me over the edge. It sure rains a lot in Kansas this time of year.

Jarod glanced around his room, feeling angry and trapped because of what Lyle and Raines had done to him.

„I don’t really need to be here," he breathed under his breath. It might not even be safe. Maybe it’d be better if I just disappeared for a while until this thing passes, Jarod thought, suddenly visualizing himself strapped to a chair and Lyle’s hideous face as he plunged a hypo into his arm.

„You tried to drive me insane, Lyle, but it didn’t work, did it?" My mind is still intact, and this time you’re really going to be sorry that you didn’t just kill me, Jarod thought as he went over to his bed and threw himself down.

Sydney had told him that his dad would be up in about an hour, which would give him a little more time to regroup. Dragging an arm over his eyes, he lay there trying to clear his mind of its dark thoughts. His mind wandered over the data concerning Raines truth drug that he had read earlier in the Centre folder Sydney had shown him.

Remembering how the nurse had interrupted their conversation before Sydney had left Jarod abruptly sat up. Scanning the room, he zeroed in on the chair where he remembered seeing Sydney put the Centre file. To his delight, Sydney had accidentally left it behind. Glancing around with a sly pretender smile, Jarod retrieved the file, some paper and his favorite pen, and started to do a little research of his own. It’s always darkest before the morning light.

* * *

Miss Parker and Broots’ rental home
Overland Park, Kansas
3:10PM

Sydney had called Major Charles after a brief conversation with Miss Parker and had urged him to swing by Miss Parker’s house on his way to visit Jarod.

Sydney had realized that this day would come, but had imagined that Jarod would be better equipped mentally for leaving the hospital then he had turned out to be. He still couldn’t understand why Jarod was suffering such a high frequency of flashbacks lately and wished there was something he could do to slow that process before Jarod suffered a relapse into clinical depression or worse. It had seemed that he was having fewer of them until he got his memory back. Usually the mind keeps devastating memories from surfacing until the person is able marshal sufficient coping skills to deal with them. This didn’t seem to be happening as mercifully for Jarod. Perhaps he could try Jarod on Trazodone, he thought noticing that his headache was back in full force.

Pulling up in the driveway, he felt his neck muscles tighten, as he thought about what they were about to do. He noticed someone briefly peeking through the closed curtains, and knew he wasn’t the only one who was suffering slight paranoia. Taking down the Centre would be a monumental undertaking, but allowing it to continue was not an option.

Sydney was startled out of his thoughts as a car pulled in behind him, causing his heart to skip a beat before he realized it was Major Charles.

The Major was out of his vehicle and over to Sydney’s before the doctor had a chance to shut his car door.

„What’s this all about? Is Jarod safe at the hospital?"

„Don’t worry, Jarod is safe for now. I’ll explain everything when we get inside."

As they climbed the steps to the front door, an extremely nervous Mr. Broots met them hurriedly ushering them in.

* * *

Menninger Psychiatric hospital
Room 319
3:55 PM

Jarod was immersed in his research, having papers scattered everywhere as he feverishly worked at unlocking the key to a countermeasure for the devastating after effects of the drug he had been overdosed with. He had been right about the unique chemical properties of Raines truth drug that were designed to remain active in the synaptic fluid of the brain. The victim would be perpetually experiencing scrambled thoughts. For the first time since he had remembered who he was, he felt back in his element. Yet, he was constantly battling confusing and some downright psychotic thinking, which threatened to undermine his work. He would just have to triple check everything he did. If he were right, there was a way to clear his mind so he would be better equipped for working through the traumatic memories and get what little he had of a life back. That was all the hope he needed right now.

The pretender was startled out of his wits, by a knock at the door followed by the appearance of a big burley man carrying a snack tray.

Jarod stood up quickly as the man approached.

„Brought you the snack your doctor ordered for you," he said setting it down. „Mind if I visit with you for a few minutes? It’s really important.

„Visit? What’s this all about?" Jarod asked noticing the man’s strange intensity.

„My name is Joe Clark. I’m the policeman who rescued you from the plane crash."

„Police man?" Jarod asked his fear rising, as his mind scrambling to figure out what was going on here.

„Do you have an ID?" Jarod stalled suddenly bolting for the door, believing he was about to be taken back to the Centre.

Jarod didn’t make it very far before Joe stopped him. Jarod spun around connecting with a right upper cut and punched Joe hard in the gut.

Hardly fazed, the bigger man grabbed the pretender, pulling his arms behind his back, and slammed him against the closed door.

„Jarod listen to me. I’m the one who rescued you in the woods, and got you to Trenton Memorial Hospital before you bled to death. I just want to talk to you about who killed all the people back at the plane crash. You’re the only one still alive who was actually there. You’ve gotta talk to me. My partner and boss and all those innocent people who were murdered deserve justice.

Jarod, in hysterical fugue, never heard a word of what Joe was saying, as he vainly struggled to break free.

„I’ll die before you take me back to the Centre," Jarod gasped fighting to breathe, as he fell into the grips of a panic attack.

„The Centre? Jarod, what’s wrong?" Joe asked realizing the pretender was having trouble breathing. Quickly he hauled him over to the bed and helped him sit down. I’m sorry, I thought you were better now.

„This „is" better," Jarod rasped giving him a swift knee to the crotch and heading out the door.

Realizing he couldn’t outrun the man, Jarod entered Aimee’s room two doors down, scaring the heck out of her.

„Aimee, forgive… me! I need… to hide. There’s…a man… trying to kidnap me," he said sliding under her bed. „Just pretend… I’m not… here and… keep… doing what you’re …doing."

Aimee just stood there in her bathrobe, her wet hair wrapped in a towel on top of her head, when a second man opened her door quickly scanning her bedroom. Scared to death, she let out a blood-curdling scream, sending the intruder quickly on his way.

Waiting to make sure he didn’t come back, she went to the door and peeked down the hallway and noticed a security guard with one of the nurses heading her way.

„Aimee, what happened? We could hear you scream all the way down at the nurses station?"

„A strange man flung open my door and started to come in. I thought he was going to attack me, but when I screamed he turned and ran."

„What did he look like?" the security guard asked glancing around.

„He was very big and muscular with short hair and I don’t know…. It happened so fast."

„Did you notice what he was wearing?"

„I don’t know. White clothes, I think."

The security guard pulled out his wakie and called in the situation.

„Don’t you worry, we have everything under control. Why don’t you go down to the nurses station until everything is resolved," he told Aimee with a reassuring smile.

„Thank you, Sir," Aimee said as she was escorted down the hall, knowing that Jarod would probably be safe now

* * *.

Menninger Psychiatric Hospital
Parking lot - Level 2
4:35PM

„Time is short. Major Charles, you go ahead to Jarod’s room and explain to him that he we’re all going over to Miss Parker and Broots’ house, but don’t tell him anything about the Centre. Don’t even mention it. Just say that since he is better now, he is being released to my care. I’ll join you as soon as all the paperwork is completed. Just keep it light and upbeat and have him pack his things."

„Ok, Sydney, but don’t take too long," the major said with a strained look on his face.

„I already have the papers prepared. It shouldn’t take over 15 minutes or so," Sydney said eyeing him. „Major, you need to relax. One look at your face, and Jarod is going to know immediately that something is wrong. We can’t afford for him to get spooked right now. Besides, Broots is monitoring the Centre and they haven’t left Blue Cove yet."

„You’re right Sydney," Major Charles said taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, „You can count on me."

„Ok, I’ll meet you up stairs when I’m done," Sydney reminded him as they entered the hospital.

„I’m going to stop by the cafeteria and pick up some Twinkies for Jarod, then I’m going straight up. See you in a little bit."

* * *

Major Charles headed for the cafeteria as Sydney dropped by his office to collect all the paperwork on Jarod. He needed to stop by the front office to sign for Jarod’s transfer to a private mental hospital in Red Wing, Minnesota, and then back by the office as a final precaution to make sure all of the hospital’s files on Jarod’s were set properly to delete on command. They didn’t want to show their hand too early. As soon as the Centre Jet was in the air, Broots would enter a password and the delete program would kick in.

Fortunately, everything went as planned and Sydney was on the elevator to the third floor in no time. He smiled as he thought about the new computer tricks Broots had taught him.

Exiting the elevator, Sydney headed down the hall to Jarod’s room and found it empty. Sydney stepped in and looked around, noticing the Centre folder and paperwork strewn on the table by the window. Collecting the papers, he sat down to read them, realizing that the major had probably gone to the rec. room to get Jarod. Sydney was amazed at how precise Jarod’s research work was considering he was two steps left of center.

He immediately looked up as he heard the door open, expecting to see Jarod and Major Charles, but instead saw a horror stricken man.

„What is it, Major?" Sydney asked bolting out of his seat.

„He’s gone. I talked to the last person to see him; some girl named Aimee. She said he was running from someone who he said was trying to kidnap him and hid in her room, but that when she came back he was gone. Apparently, they’ve had people looking for him since he missed his medication at 4:00. The hospital just put out an alert on him, and they are conducting a floor by floor sweep."

„My God. It’s impossible that Lyle and the sweepers are already here. Who on earth could be a threat to Jarod here? It is possible that Jarod is experiencing some kind of psychotic episode. If he thought his life were in danger, he would have found a way out of the hospital.
Let’s get his things and get out of here now, before we are detained. We must find him, before anything happens to him." Sydney said glancing out the window at the pouring rain.

Quickly they gathered his things and left the hospital, without another word.

* * *

Sunflower Park
Adjacent the hospital
4:50PM

Jarod had wanted to run until he was a safe distance from the hospital, but his attempt was extremely short-lived. His legs had given out before he had even made it 2 blocks.

After a short breather, he attempted to run again only to have his wet legs cramp up on him and he doubled over in pain.

„Life can be such a bitch, he thought as he looked around for some where to hide.

Just through the trees, he could see a Mom and Pops family restaurant and a shopping mall. If he could make it over there, he’d be able to get lost in a crowd. The only problem would be getting there undetected he thought realizing that he couldn’t stay in the pouring rain much longer.

Jarod had expected to see the black town cars and sweepers by now.

„This is very strange," he mumbled as he limped over to a nearby Gazebo and hid under some overgrown cedar trees. He was cold, wet and miserable. Misquotes harassed him biting his unprotected arms, neck and ankles. He tried to work the cramps out of his legs as he looked around for signs of danger. His heart beat wildly in his chest and he struggled to calm himself realizing he had no viable plan at all. His research was back at the hospital, he had no money, no laptop, and he feared he’d never see his father or Sydney again.

If only he had a phone, he could connect with Sydney, he thought, struggling to block out the screaming voices in his mind.

* * *

Sunflower Park
5:00PM

The Major and Sydney had parked their car by the park and quickly began their searched for Jarod. The interstate bordered the hospital on three sides, and this seemed the most likely place he could have run to.

„Jarod, if you’re out here Please answer me!" the major yelled over a rumble of thunder.

„Jarod, This is Sydney. No one is going to kidnap you. Jarod where are you?"

„Sydney, I don’t think he’s here. Maybe he thumbed a ride. He could be miles from here already," he said glancing at the steady traffic.

„If he did, there’s not much we can do about it. My guess is he’s not in the mood to trust anyone. Keep looking. Let’s spread out. You cover the right side and I’ll cover the left."

They had been looking for Jarod 20 minutes and it was raining much harder now, as the Major crossed over to a row of trees near the fountain and gazebo.

„Jarod? Where are you? Jarod! Can you hear me?" the Major yelled circling the fountain, hoping to cover the area quicker.

„Dad, get down!" Jarod yelled as he tackled him. „The Centre’s after me."

„Jarod, calm down."

„Do you have a gun?" Jarod asked scanning the area.

„No son, not with me."

„We’ve got to get out of here. Where’s Sydney?"

„He’s over there somewhere, looking for you."

„Oh no. If they get their hands on him they’ll kill him. Ok, the coast is clear; run along the tree line and try to stay low."

Sydney spotted them as soon as they rounded a group of picnic tables. It looked like Major Charles was chasing Jarod.

„Jarod stop running," Sydney ordered.

„Sydney, the car," Jarod said motioning toward the parking lot.

Sydney caught up with them as they reached the parking lot.

„Jarod, thank God we found you! Are you alright?"

„Never mind. The Centre’s on to us!"

„Ok, Jarod, get in the car," Sydney said realizing he’d have to explain what they were going to do about the Centre and hoping Jarod would handle it better than this.

* * *

Near Miss Parker and Broots’ rental home
Overland Park, Kansas
7:05PM

Sydney hadn’t spoken a word since Jarod finished explaining about his encounter with the man who called himself Joe and claimed to be a policeman. He realized it probably really was the officer Dr.Ross had told him about, who had been waiting to question Jarod at Trenton Memorial Hospital right after the plane crash.

„Jarod, I don’t believe the man you encountered was from the Centre. There really is a Lieutenant named Joe Clark, who wanted to question you right after the plane crash, but you were too seriously injured and drugged for that to be permitted. The Centre sweepers killed a lot of innocent emergency personnel and police officers at the crash site before the cleaners were sent in. You were the only one who escaped. There is no way you could have remembered it but I was told that he was the one who rescued you.

„He saved my life?" Jarod asked watching the rain stream down the passenger window. Well, I sure showed a lot of gratitude to him," Jarod said bitterly.

„And here we all are muddy and soaking wet after my ridiculous get-a-way to the park."

„Jarod, you did what you thought you had to do. If he had been from the Centre, it would have been imperative for you to do anything you could to get away," Sydney said knowing how humiliated Jarod felt.

Jarod hoped Sydney knew whom to trust, as they pulled into the driveway in front of Parker’s spacious rental house.

After everyone entered the house, a dark maroon car slowly past by and headed down the block. Pulling into the driveway of a vacant house, Joe waited for 10 minutes before pulling out and circling the neighborhood again.

* * *

„Well, Boys, stop off somewhere to do a little mud wrestling?" Miss Parker remarked wondering what the heck they had been up to.

„Parker, please," Sydney said, giving her an exasperated look.

„Jarod ran into some „unwanted company" at the hospital."

„The Centre?" Broots asked dropping the luggage he had just picked up.

„No, we’ll explain later, if you don’t mind."
„There’re 3 showers no waiting. Two upstairs and one down that hall." Miss Parker said eyeing the trio in amusement.

Jarod turned around, suitcase in hand, and headed down the hallway without saying a word. Major Charles watched him go, with a worried expression on his face, then said excuse me and headed upstairs.

Sydney glared at Miss Parker and said, "You’re going to have to be more sensitive to Jarod’s feelings. You seem to have forgotten that he’s having emotional difficulties right now. His reality base is not very strong and he’s devastated by his diminished capacity."

„I’m so sorry, Sydney," Miss Parker said and really meant it. There’s a shower to the left at the top of the stairs, right next to your room. I’ll have some coffee going by the time you’re done."

„I would appreciate it if you kept a close eye on Jarod. Don’t mention the Centre and don’t let him leave the house. He is extremely paranoid right now. He fled the hospital around 4:00 and we were lucky to find him at all."

„My God, Sydney," Miss Parker breathed realizing for the first time what had happened. „Don’t worry, Broots and I will keep him company."

„Broots, I need you to pull up the information on a lieutenant Joe Clark of the Trenton, New Jersey police force. I believe he’s the one who made contact with Jarod this afternoon. I’ll want to look at it the moment I come down."

Pausing, Sydney relaxed a little looking at Broots and Miss Parker. „I’m sure the three of us did look rather amusing when we first arrived," he said giving them a guilty look as he noticed the wet spot on the carpet where he was standing.

„It’ll dry, Syd."

* * *

Jarod felt a lot better after a hot shower. Slipping into his black pants he searched through his bag for a black T-shirt to put on. That’s when he noticed his reflection in the full-length mirror. His chest and back were covered with purplish scars that looked vaguely like whip marks. Down his front left side were scars that looked like he might have been burned severely several times.

„How could I have not noticed those before?" Jarod said out loud with a sick look on his face realizing he had been blocking it out of his conscious mind. Hurriedly he pulled his shirt on disgusted by what he saw. Slipping his socks on, he tried to ignore the deep purple scars encircling his ankles.

Relieved to be dressed, he gathered up his bag and dirty clothes and tried to find the laundry room.

„Hey, Jarod, what are you looking for?" Broots asked noticing him opening and closing doors and hoping he wasn’t looking for an exit.
„The laundry room," Jarod said leery of being in the same hallway with his former adversary. „I thought I’d better get these started, "he said looking down at the muddy clothes in his hands, feeling uncomfortably anxious.

„One more door and you would have had it," Broots said cheerfully opening another door and noticing that Jarod seemed afraid of him.

„Um, look Jarod, I I’m really sorry for what happened to you. I, well, I just want you to know, that I, um, wish I’d never tried to take you back there."

„So do I, Broots," Jarod said with a deep look of sadness in his eyes as he stepped into the laundry room and closed the door.

Well, that didn’t go very good, Broots thought, feeling like he had just been punched in the stomach, as he headed back toward the living room.

„Broots, how is Jarod doing?" Sydney asked coming down the stairs with Major Charles, both carrying their muddy clothes.

„I’m not sure. He’s, um, in the laundry room.

Miss Parker glanced down the hallway and then at Syd and the Major.

„Hey boys, I’m feeling domestic. Let me handle those," she said, holding a basket for them to drop their clothes in and giving Sydney a wink, grateful to have an excuse to check on Jarod.

„Have you had dinner yet? I ordered some pizzas a while ago. They should be here in about 30 minutes."

„Thank you, Broots," Sydney said watching Miss Parker disappear down the hallway.

„I see you have Joe Clark’s information for me. Any Centre connections, Broots?"

„He looks clean to me. And you were right. He’s the one that saved Jarod’s life. Apparently, he’s the one who helped Jarod get to the hospital before the Centre got their hands on him. He resigned from the force to continue an independent investigation into the murder of everyone at the plane crash after the case was closed down."

„Good work, Broots."

„What about operation download? Have you gotten the Pakor, Donoterase, and other sensitive Centre data ready for transfer to the FBI?"

„It’s ready to go. Angelo is coordinating some other things for me too, back at the Centre.

„Do you know when Lyle’s team plan to leave yet?" Sydney asked with a noticeably tight voice.

„No, but they still haven’t made their move yet," Broots said meeting Sydney’s eyes.

„Keep on it, Broots. I haven’t had a chance to discussed this with Jarod yet, so please don’t mention it in his presence."

* * *

Jarod was putting soap in the washer when Miss Parker walked in.

Dropping the box, he spun around quickly, as if sweepers surrounded him, fixing his frightened eyes on the intruder.

„Take it easy, Jarod, it’s just me," Miss Parker said shocked at his reaction. „I shouldn’t have come barging in on you like that."

„Why Miss Parker," Jarod said recovering quickly. „You’re the last person I’d expect to see in a laundry room. I wouldn’t think you’d want to dirty your pretty little hands," he said as he stooped to pick up the laundry soap, his tone taking on a definite edge.

„Jarod, you have a right to be angry with me. That remark I made back in there…"

„Was nothing. Just drop it," Jarod said feeling an overpowering urge to run for the door.

„Ok, Jarod," Miss Parker said crossing over toward him to drop the rest of the muddy clothes in the washer.

Jarod automatically stepped backwards with renewed fear in his eyes.

„My God, Jarod, you’re afraid of me," Miss Parker whispered overcome with pain.

„Let’s just say I don’t want to be taken back to the Centre any time soon," Jarod said flatly having noticed she was wearing her gun.

„Jarod, you have to believe me, I’m through with the Centre for good."

Jarod crossed his arms defensively, searching her eyes for any signs of deception.

„I don’t think I can afford to trust „anyone" right now."

„I understand, Jarod, but please try," Miss Parker said her eyes welling up with tears. „I need you right now."

Totally surprised by her reaction and realizing he had caused it, Jarod pulled her into a comforting embrace.

„I’m sorry, Parker, I didn’t mean to hurt you. You’d be a lot better off if you found someone else to care about. I’m not worth much to anyone right now."
„You’re wrong, Jarod, don’t talk like that," she said pushing a strand of tousled hair out of his eyes.

„Holding her very close, his anger and fear melted away and Jarod finally let his guard down allowing his feelings for her to surface.

Parker could feel his trembling body beginning to relax and she closed her eyes enjoying his warmth against hers. They stood there for several minutes, holding each other as if their lives depended on it and then pulled back slightly and kissed passionately.

Realizing what he had done, Jarod stepped back apologizing, but Parker smiled and placed her fingers over his lips to quiet him and they kissed again.

Broots popped his head in and his heart fell when he saw Miss Parker in Jarod’s arms.

„I was um oh well, excuse me I’ll just…"

„What is it, Broots?"

„Um, Jarod, Sydney wants to talk to you and the pizzas will be here soon."

„Pizzas, who are they?" Jarod asked genuinely confused.

„Italian pies, Jarod. Don’t tell me you’re never eaten one of those," Miss Parker said in disbelief.

„What can I say, I’ve lived a sheltered life," Jarod offered embarrassed by Broots sudden appearance.

„Thanks, Broots," Miss Parker said giving him a slightly irritated look.

* * *

Everyone had joined Sydney and the Major in the living room. Jarod was over by the dining room table talking to Sydney as Major Charles started a fire in the fireplace. After Broots had finished something at the computer, Miss Parker and Broots went into the kitchen to set the table.

„Jarod, I need for you to take these. You were supposed to have them at 4:00 and it’s way after that now."

„Sydney, I only take one of those," the pretender said eyeing the orange tablets and angry that he needed anything at all.

„I know, Jarod, but I want you to double up this time. Look how badly you’re shaking. You’ve had an extremely stressful day and I’m afraid tonight won’t be much better."

„What do you mean by that?"

„Just do what I say and we’ll discuss it after dinner."

„What’s wrong, Sydney?" Jarod asked fear rising again.

„Jarod, I don’t want you overreacting. There’s nothing wrong. We’ve been working on a project. We’ll discuss it later. You may find it pleasantly surprising. Oh, and you have a package from Angelo.

„Hmm. Wonder what that could be?"

„Anyone want some coffee?"

That would certainly be nice," Sydney said smiling as he inspected Jarod’s package and handed it to him.

„Please excuse me for a minute, there are a couple of things I still need to get out of the car. I’ll be right back," Sydney said as he grabbed his raincoat and headed out the door.

* * *

„Dr. Best, I presume," Joe Clark said stepping out from behind Sydney’s car with a gun drawn. „I think we need to talk."

„That gun won’t be necessary. I’ll tell you whatever you want to know, Joe Clark. That is your name, isn’t it?"

„So you know who I am. I’ll be the judge of whether I need a gun or not. You kidnapped our only witness and ruined a criminal investigation. If I still had my badge, you would be under arrest right now. Jarod is inside isn’t he? You seem to have a fetish for removing him from hospitals. Care to explain?"

„I am not the enemy here. You saw what was done to Jarod. The people who did that were trying to recover Jarod. If I hadn’t intervened, he would most likely be dead now, as are your partner and police chief. Those same people were the ones who you rescued Jarod from. I just explained to Jarod who you are and he deeply regrets how your last meeting went. You see, he has no memory of you and thought you were one of the others."

„He mentioned the Centre."

„Yes. Would you care to finish this conversation inside? I’m really tired of standing out here in the rain. Just please put your gun away. I don’t want you to panic Jarod again."

„How can I know I can trust you? You might be part of this Centre yourself."

„Mr. Clark, Centre operatives will be arriving very soon. I don’t have time for this, but we could use your help. You need to decide if you want to participate in taking them down."

Joe stood there for several moments weighing things out and decided to take a chance.

„I’m in," he said holstering his weapon.

Sydney gave a sigh of relief realizing how dicey things might have gotten.

„Just a minute, I need a couple of things out of the car."

* * *

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Mr. Lyle’s office
9:00 PM

„Overland Park, Kansas. This should be a piece of cake," Lyle said setting down a Centre File designated, Retrieval. Jarod certainly won’t be a problem. According to his medical records, he still hasn’t recovered. That ought to simplify things immensely. Be clear. I don’t want Jarod harmed in any way. I want him sedated and taken out first. Willie, your team will be in charge of him. You will also be responsible for Major Charles. We need him to find Gemini."

„Sam, your team will handle the return of Sydney, Broots and my sister. Mutombo had decided that he wants them brought back for reeducation, so use restraint in their capture."

„We’ll execute Operation Retrieval in two days baring unforeseen complications. I want every contingency explored and options in place, before I will even entertain presenting our plan to Big Mutombo. Submit your reports to me upon completion no later than 3:00PM tomorrow. "