Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters. They belong to NBC, Pretender Productions, and others. I’m just borrowing them for my Pretender fanfic story. No money has or will be made off this story. Please don’t sue me, as I have no money. This story is purely for entertainment and promotion of my favorite show, The Pretender!


Things are rapidly changing for Jarod, as he continues to struggle to regain his sanity with the help of his former captor/mentor, Sydney, who has defied the Centre and risked his life in the process. With Broots, Miss Parker and Major Charles aboard, evil forces closing in, Sydney will have the backup he needs, but will it be enough?




In Pursuit Of Happiness
Part 11
by jojarod50




Menninger Hospital
Memorial Gardens
8:30 AM

Joe Clark had been in town only since last night. Most of his leads had dried up except this one. Working on his own wasn’t easy and realizing that someone had gone to great pains to erase any evidence surrounding the mysterious plane crash and subsequent murder of 23 people including his police chief and also his best friend made him frustrated and paranoid. He’d never believed in conspiracies until now.

Whoever kidnapped Jarod Doe from the Trenton Memorial Hospital knew what he was doing. Amazingly, records of everything including those of the Life-flight Helicopter’s destination had been erased.

There was one thing that someone had missed, however. A comptroller at the Trenton Municipal Airport, who had been a friend of his, remembered having some confusing data on his screen that day. He had tracked a bogy on a course heading which would suggest a destination along a line cutting through the Midwest. Strangely enough, no one had followed up on that information until recently. After a very intimidating conversation with a white haired man, in which he had feigned ignorance, his friend had called him and said they needed to talk. He told Joe that he had told the man nothing, but that Joe better find his witness, before someone else did.

Being aware that Menningers is a renowned Psychiatric Hospital, Joe had a hunch that he’d find his Doe and the mystery doctor here. He only had a vague description of the doctor: an older, distinguished man with short to medium length graying hair, brown eyes, tallish, with perhaps, a Belgium accent, but he knew he’d have no problem identifying Jarod.

Having no police credentials, Joe would have to just keep a low profile and hope something would turn up. Surveying the area, he thought he saw exactly whom he had searched so long for. Near by at one of the fountains, was a man dressed all in black with a young woman at his side.

Trying to contain his excitement, Joe left the bench and wandered down the walkway toward his target.

Pausing at a drinking fountain, he glanced over at the tall young man. It was Jarod all right. He was in a lot better shape than when he had seen him last. Joe could see the child like look on his face, the deep scaring on his wrists, and the white patient ID bracelet he was wearing which further confirmed it.

As he watched him talk with the lady, he realized that his missing witness was, hopefully, rational enough to be interrogated about what happened that fateful pre-dawn morning. Further more, he would undoubtedly be able to have Jarod’s doctor put behind bars on kidnapping charges and interfering with a murder investigation. For the first time, Joe regretted resigning from the police force.

Resolving to make things right for his Sargent and Harry, Joe decided to lay low for a while until he had all the information he needed, before he went to the police. These people weren’t going anywhere; he rationalized, returning to the bench to continue his surveillance of the couple.

****

„Jarod, I want to stay here with you and try to help you get better," Miss Parker said moving closer to him until they were almost touching, drinking in his deep brown eyes.

Jarod was fighting back a sudden flood of emotions as he realized what she had been trying to tell him, and tenderly pulled her into a passionate embrace.

„I can’t promise you that I ever will be completely whole again. I have no way of knowing that," he whispered crushed by the reality of his own words.

„I don’t care. We’ll fight this thing together. I’m the only one who will ever be able to understand your pain and you mine. I need you, Jarod, as much as you need me and can’t bear to loose you; not now."

Jarod touched her cheek softly and closed his eyes as he gently kissed her, completely lost in the moment.

* * *

Menninger Hospital
Room 319
10:30 AM

„I’m sorry I’m late. I needed to catch up on some paperwork and thought you and Miss Parker would enjoy some extra time together. Did she leave already, Jarod?" Sydney asked noticing the curiously happy look on his face.

„She told me she was having Broots look up something for her and that she needed to get back to her house," Jarod answered as he straightened up a few things on his bedside table and started in on the rest of the room.

Jarod, would you like to do that later? I need to talk with you for a little while. Why don’t you come over and sit down with me," Sydney suggested taking a seat by the window and glancing at his chart.

Suddenly realizing what he had been doing, he set down a stack of books and took the other seat waiting for the questions to begin.

Sydney looked over at Jarod, sizing up his mood, and noticed a hint of the same pink lipstick Miss Parker had been wearing on his smiling lips.

„So, did you have a pleasant visit with Miss Parker?"

„It wasn’t exactly what I had expected," Jarod said getting up and distancing himself from Sydney as he felt his face flush, not wanting him to notice.

„You two got along, didn’t you?" Sydney asked trying to get Jarod to talk.

„Yes… well, I’m still trying to figure that one out," Jarod offered rubbing his neck with his hand as he stood there staring off into space.

„Jarod, have you been down to the rec. room today?" Sydney asked, remembering the unsettling reaction Jarod had when the topic had come up yesterday.

„Rec. room," Jarod repeated, for a split second, having an image of Lyle injecting him with a hypo, flash across his mind. „No, why?"

„I was under the impression that you were avoiding something yesterday when we were talking about it," Sydney said, noticing Jarod had stiffened slightly. Do you want to tell me about it?"

Jarod saw himself being dragged down a dark hallway, by two sweepers, and into a small room, and then being dropped hard onto a cold cement floor.

„Jarod, did you hear my question? You don’t seem to be paying attention."

„I, um, heard you. There’s really not much to tell," Jarod said distractedly, suddenly seeing him self being dragged to a wall where he was shackled. Shaking his head slightly the image was gone.

„Jarod?"

„New lighting is being installed in the rec. room and when I saw it I became dizzy and felt sick at my stomach." An image of an armature with various kinds of lighting devices being lowered from a ceiling opposite the wall he was shackled to intruded his mind.

„Jarod, what are you thinking?" Sydney asked, noticing he seemed to be having trouble carrying on a conversation.

„Oh, I was just…I don’t know" Jarod said becoming confused.

„Do you have any idea why you became dizzy and sick at your stomach?"

„I suppose that could have just been a reaction from having low blood sugar. After all, it was right before lunch," Jarod added, starting to feel shaky as he went to the bed and sat down.

„Have you had any nightmares or flashbacks involving similar lighting?" Sydney asked cautiously, suddenly noticing that Jarod had started to weave slightly.

Slipping further into the flashback, Jarod started experiencing overwhelming waves of confusion invade his mind as Dr. Billy’s version of a hypnotic truth drug flooded his brain. Blinding lights across the cell came to life and flashed at an ever-increasing tempo until he could hear them pounding in his head.

„Jarod what is it?" the psychiatrist asked as he hurried over to the pretender, who had slipped off the bed and down to the floor.

Jarod was hallucinating now. The drugged pretender felt his mind slipping away as his world became a bottomless pit full of vile creatures.

„NOOOOOOO. I don’t do this to me," Jarod screamed obviously having a terrifying flashback.

Knowing it would be better if Jarod came out of it naturally, Sydney sat on the floor beside Jarod and waited.

After 15 agonizing minutes, Jarod started moaning and his eyes fluttered and opened. Sydney had never seen Jarod look so utterly horrified. His eyes darted around the room and came to rest on Sydney’s worried face.

„Jarod, what happened to you?"

Jarod was shaking violently and buried his face in his hands.

„I just went to Hell, Sydney. My God, don’t let me go there again."

„Jarod, let’s get you off the floor."

„I can’t," Jarod whispered purposely curling up in a ball almost convulsing.

Sydney got up quickly and pressed the intercom button.

„Nurses station, how can we help you?"

„This is Dr. Best. Have a nurse bring in a hypo with 100 mg of Thorazine to room 319 stat."

„Certainly. Someone will be right there."

„Thank you, nurse," Sydney said, looking back down at Jarod, and wondering what part of the torture he had just relived.

* * *

Dr. Sydney Best
Office 108A


I’m sorry, Major, that’s all I know right now. I just had him medicated and he’s sleeping. I imagine he’ll be asleep until later this afternoon.

„Is he going to be alright? When can I see him?"

Even over the phone, Sydney could tell the Major wasn’t taking it well.

„Major, I’m sure Jarod will be feeling much better after he distances himself from this and has some good rest under his belt. Why don’t I give you a call when he’s awake again, so you’ll know when to come. Don’t worry. Jarod will make it through this and I’m sure he’ll be anxious to see you."

„Thanks Sydney, I’ll be waiting for your call."

Sydney hung up the phone and just sat there fighting to control his rage as he thought about Lyle and Raines and their hideous torture chamber back at the Centre.

Opening his upper left-hand drawer, he grabbed something for his throbbing headache and chased it down with the last of his coffee. I need to get out of here for a while, he said to himself, as he stood up, slammed his chair into the desk, and headed out the door, completely oblivious to the fact the exit was being watched.

* * *

Room 319

Jarod struggled to open his heavy eyes, but it was just too much trouble. Realizing he was safe in his own bed, he fell back into a peaceful sleep.

Much later, he was startled awake and realized someone had set a lunch tray on the table by his bed, and heard the door close softly.

Lying there half out of it, Jarod tried to remember why he was in bed at lunch time, but fell back to sleep before he could figure it out.

About an hour later, Jarod surfaced from a frightening nightmare covered in sweat. Pulling the covers back and sitting up, he hurriedly looked around the room. Noticing the cold lunch, he wondered what time it was.

Still not fully awake, he looked again at the lunch tray and then at the clock. Not understanding what was going on, he sat there staring at the clock, which read 1:35, then it hit him like a ton of bricks.

The memory of the horrific flashback assaulted him and he retched violently in the nearest trashcan.

Afterward, he staggered to the bathroom and rinsed out his mouth. He sat on the toilet seat until he regained his strength. Feeling somewhat better, he washed his face and dried it, then noticed his reflection in the mirror. He hardly recognized the haunted man staring back at him and his anger burned as he thought about the people who had done this to him.

Filled with rage, Jarod left his room determined to find out precisely what had been done to him.

* * *

Pretending nothing was wrong, Jarod slapped on a halfhearted smile and set off for the elevator.

He’d remembered Sydney mentioning to someone that his office was on the first floor, room 108A, and knew he could probably find what he was looking for there. He had no desire to view the DSA Miss Parker had mentioned, but a few medical files would do nicely.

Jarod had noticed a supply room on the same floor as the cafeteria, and decided to visit it for a change of clothes first. Noticing details like that was second nature to him and as usual came in handy.

Wearing a lab coat and walking with self-assurance, Jarod made a beeline for Sydney’s office. As fortune would have it, there was really no one around.

Noticing the office lights were out, Jarod slipped a straightened paperclip wire into the lock, jiggled it around, and entered the room before anyone was the wiser.

Quickly he searched the drawers in the filing cabinet by the back wall. Finding the medical files, he flipped though them and pulled his out. Selecting the records from Trenton Memorial Hospital and the ones from Menningers, he quickly made copies of all the pertinent information and hurriedly put everything back when he was done.

Stuffing the papers in his jeans, he started to turn out the lights, but a lady knocked on the door and opened it slightly, calling out Sydney’s name.

Turning his back to the door, Jarod asked who was there.

Taken off guard, the secretary stammered around for a moment eyeing the strange man and asked when Sydney would be back.

Shuffling some papers around like he was doing something important, Jarod simply said for her to check back in about an hour.

With quick thanks, the secretary, who apparently was in a hurry, shut the door and was gone.

Amazed at his good fortune, Jarod shut off the light, puzzling over how she had failed to notice that he had been shaking so hard that he was having trouble keeping upright.

Feeling a great deal of trepidation, Jarod took the elevator back to his room, wondering if he’d be able to handle what he would learn. Maybe this hadn’t been such a great idea after all.

* * *

Miss Parker and Broots rental home
Overland Park, Kansas
2:30 PM

Broots just sat there with trembling hands as he scrolled up on his computer to read the message from Angelo again.

„Miss Parker, you better come here and see this," Broots said, with voice 2 octaves higher than normal.

„What’s the matter with you? Cinch your belt too tight?" Miss Parker sarcastically asked, leaving her paperwork on the couch and walking over his computer feeling a tight ball forming in her stomach as she read the huge word flashing on the screen.

„Danger? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Broots, who sent this email?"
Broots looked up at her with eyes as big as saucers.

„Angelo sent it, with this attachment explaining that he is sending us a video feed from your dad’s office.

„What are you waiting for? Just play it, Broots."

* * *

They watched the screen in silence, as they witnessed a meeting between Mr. Parker, Lyle and Mr. White. Willie and Sam stood in the background as Mr. Raines took a seat between the two sweepers

Several documents were scattered on Mr. Parker’s desk. Mr. White was explaining that he had positive proof that Sydney had Jarod at a psychiatric hospital somewhere in the Midwest and that it would be, a matter of say, a couple of days before he had all the specifics.

Mr. Parker cleared his throat. „White, you make damn sure you have it right this time before you drag everyone on another wild goose chase.

Unfazed, Mr. White didn’t dignify his comment with a reply.

„What about my daughter and Broots?"

„I managed to track them to Illinois before they gave me the slip. Here are several surveillance photos of them taken outside a Kwick shop and various other places in Springfield. I must say, you have an amazingly cleaver daughter."

„That’s not the kind of thing I want to hear right now. White, you make damn sure you find her and Mr. Broots. We can’t have any loose ends circling around and biting our backside."

„Raines, as soon as we know what hospital Jarod is in, you will be provided with his medical records. You better know his case inside and out before he even gets here. I don’t want any slipups concerning his treatments."

„You don’t need to tell me… how to do my business. This is…my area… of expertise."

„Raines, you better make damn sure that serum works. Did you get the other Psychotropic drug developed?"

„It will be ready…by the time Jarod arrives," Raines rasped.

„It better be. Sam, take Raines back to his laboratory, he’s still got work to do."

*

Miss Parker and Broots exchanged puzzled looks.

*

„Lyle, I’m counting on you to get this right."

Lyle gave him a sober look.

„Alright, that will be all for now. A few more days and we’ll be back in business again," Mr. Parker said rubbing his hand together as he watched everyone exit the meeting.

* * *

Silence hung in the air as Miss Parker and Broots digested what they had just seen.

„Broots, better get back to work. I’m calling Sydney. We’ve just been handed a deadline."

* * *

Menninger Hopsital
3nd floor hallway
Room 301

„Hey, Jarod, do ya have a minute? I want you to meet a friend of mine who’s visiting for the day. He’s really good at video games and he wants to play you," Gaelen said noticing Jarod passing by his room.

„Not right now, Gaelen. I’m kind of in the middle of something," Jarod said, starting to walk away.

„Don’t go, Jarod. It’ll just take a minute. I’ve been telling Eric all about you. Besides, don’t you want to see my new lava lamp."

„Lava lamp? Jarod questioned seeing that Gaelen wasn’t going to let him off the hook that easily.

„Ok, I’ll meet your friend for just a minute and then I’ve got to get going," Jarod said as Gaelen ushered him into the room.

* * *

Menninger Hospital
Room 319

When Jarod entered his room, he saw Sydney standing by the window looking right at him.

„Jarod, what were you doing in my office?"

Jarod took in a sharp intake of air.

„The secretary told you."

„No, I saw you enter the elevator at the end of the hall wearing a lab coat. I checked my door. You forgot to lock it."

Jarod fell silent.

„I wouldn’t imagine you were looking up your medical records," Sydney said walking over to Jarod and eyeing his bulky midriff.

Jarod started to walk away, but Sydney grabbed his arm abruptly stopping him.

„I can’t let you do this. There’s no telling what your reaction will be. You may inadvertently push yourself over the edge," Sydney said pulling up his shirt. „Jarod, give them to me."

Jarod grabbed the papers and held them tightly in his hand.

„I have a right to know what they did to me, Sydney. I can’t fight something I don’t understand. I’ve got to have some control here," Jarod said raising his voice.

„You’re right, you do have a right to know, but not like this. You’re so angry you’re not thinking straight. Give me the papers before you commit mental suicide."

Jarod stood there eye to eye with Sydney for several moments and then released the papers allowing them to fall to the floor.

Sydney quickly picked them up breathing a silent prayer of thanks.

„Jarod please sit down. I want to talk to you."

Jarod closed his eyes trying to calm down and then slowly walked over to one of the chairs and sat down.

„Jarod, when I found out what Raines and Lyle had done to you, I wanted to kill them with my bare hands."
„I love you, Jarod. I won’t let them hurt you any more."

„I will tell you what they did to you, in that, I will help you understand what you remember, but I won’t tell you things that your mind is trying to protect you from."

„Besides being extremely angry, how are you doing since your flashback this morning?"

„Better. What kind of drug was I given an overdose of?"

„I knew you would ask that. It was some kind of hypnotic truth serum Raines had developed to aid in prisoner interrogations, during the Vietnam War. It had very questionable results," Sydney said, handing Jarod a Centre file on it.

„Apparently, he was having it used on you to find out where you hid the DSAs. He fully intended to take them out of the Country in addition to you."

„Where was he taking me?"

„Berlin."

„My God, Sydney, this has extremely dangerous hallucinogenic properties. How much of this was I given?"

„You were given 3 times the maximum dose."

Jarod closed his eyes and fought a sudden wave of dizziness.

„Sydney, that flashback must have been part of what I experienced while under the influence of this drug," Jarod said starting to weave again."

„Ok, Jarod. I don’t think you should think about this any more right now," Sydney said taking the file out of Jarod’s hand.

„Would you like to rest some more or would you like to visit with your father? I want you to do something that makes you happy for the rest of the day."

„Did my father come here today?"

„Jarod, he wanted to, but you were sleeping. I told him I’d give him a call when you woke up, but you’ve been quite a handful this past hour. Would you like for me to give him a call?"

„I’d sure appreciate it, Sydney."

„I’ll do it under one condition. I want you to try to relax."

„I’ll do that. Thanks Sydney."

„Dr. Best, you have a call on line 3. I’m sorry to interrupt you, but you weren’t answering your page," one of the nurses said, as she stepped part way into the room.

„Oh thank you, Audrey, I think I left it in my office by mistake. Jarod, I’ll see you a little later. I’m going to have one of the aids bring you a snack and I want you to try to eat it. Have a nice visit with your father."

„Bye, Sydney."


* * *