Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Unfortunately these don’t belong to me but NBC. Don’t sue, I’m only a poor kid.



Resolved Issues
Part I
by Julie





December 24th, 10pm

Miss Parker sat in the bathtub considering what she would do on Christmasday. Sydney had offered that she comes to New York with him but she felt that she would be imposing on the holidays. Broots had even offered out of polite holiday spirit that she drops by during the day. He said that Debbie wanted to see her. Parker had agreed to call at night to see Debbie with her presents.

Parker dangled her feet off the taps and allowed the heat take her over. She tried not to think of the excuse that her Dad had come up with. >Angel I have business to finish up in Hawaii< She knew that her Dad didn’t much love her but he could have put more time into his excuses. Miss. Parker rose out of the bath and wrapped herself in a bath towel. She pulled on clean underwear and a fresh night -dress and moved into the bedroom through the adjoining door. She moved towards the bed and heard a noise from the dark corner of the room. Parker dove for her gun but before she could reach it Jarod walked out of the shadows.

"It’s alright. It’s only me."

"What do you mean it’s only you? Who do you think the gun is for?"

"You wouldn’t shoot me on Christmas Eve or worse still you wouldn’t drag me back to that hell-hole. Would you Parker?"

"That depends. Why are you here? I wouldn’t wish a stay in the Centre upon anyone," she said with a slightly calmer voice and lowering her gun slightly.

"I wanted to show you something." He opened up his case and popped in a disc. "Watch I don’t know if you recall this but it’s good for you to remember times like this."


The disk started.

> Dec. 24th. Catherine Parker sat an eight year old Jarod on her knee. Miss. Parker ran around singing carols.

"What is it?" Jarod asked with excitement.

"Open it and see. I helped to pick it out," Miss Parker said running over to join him on her mother’s knee. She helped to tear the paper off. A tall dark man came to the door.

"Mrs. Parker, I think that you’ve spent enough time with him. He has work to do," the man yelled.

"Mom, I don’t want to leave him. We haven’t been here that long" Miss Parker cried. "Why can’t we bring him home."

"Daddy won’t let us come if you don’t stick to his rules. Say goodbye to Jarod, Angel" She hugged the little boy
with tears streaming own her face.

The young Jarod sat on his own finishing unwrapping his gift. He took out a fire truck to his knees with flashing lights and siren. He also found a police car and made a sort row of traffic<

Jarod ejected the disk. The room was silent. He turned to look at Parker but was afraid of her response. She sat motionless still looking at the screen and tears welling in her eyes. Jarod leaned over to wipe away the tears but she pulled away. She turned her head and wiped her palms across her eyes.

"Why did you show me that? Was to remind me of what I’ve lost at Christmas? That isn’t a very funny joke you little freak." She got up from the bed.

"Wait" Jarod grabbed her hand. "I wanted to remind you of the person you used to be and thought that you might like to see your mother again. But I suppose you don’t remember any of the happy times. They probably took away all the happy memories to turn you into this cold, hard bitch that you are" Jarod moved towards the door.

"Stop! What do you mean they took away my memories?" She placed herself between him and the door.

"Well when they brainwashed you they most likely took away the happy times so as to remove the soul within you"

"No-one has brainwashed me Jarod"

"Oh were you not. Do you remember when the memories started to seep through after the first attempt? Usually they control people’s minds after one attempt but you were more strong willed than that. I suppose it’s not likely that they let you remember that the next time they tried."

"I can remember some things about my childhood and I thought the gaps were normal. I only have one mind and no-one to compare with."

"Each time you became aware of what had been done you would come to me and we would try to run away together." Jarod laughed as if he remembered something.

"What Jarod?" She said in an intimidating voice.

"I was just remembering something." He smiled to himself.

"What? Tell me or I’ll shoot you Wonderboy"

"Okay, you broke into my room one night. I hadn’t seen you in nearly a year. You had disabled the video camera and set an old tape on continuos loop. You wanted me to come away with you. You…"

"I…what Jarod."

"You said that you loved me and that we would only ever be happy in the outside world"

"Bull! Even if I did I was only a kid. Kids are stupid," She said roughly turning away slightly embarrassed."

"You were twenty two. That’s hardly a kid."

Miss. Parker walked towards the window, contemplating what he had just said. Would he lie to her for some reason. What would he have to gain? "If you know all the answers, tell me how they did it!"

"The Centre created a drug, DR19, to be used to make the mind easy to suggestion. They used it on you and hypnotised you to implant their suggestions. They created your mind loyal to the centre. They made you think that good was wrong through your experiences with your mother because she died doing wrong. They took away all your happy memories so that you would think that there was nothing happy for you to look forward to. They made you think that there was no one to love you except the Centre. They made me out as the bad guy because you thought that you lost your mom because of children like me"

Miss. Parker was startled and didn’t dare to talk. She sat on the bed with her back to him waiting for him to continue.

"You know that you’re a pretender just like me so you can understand why she wanted to help us." He moved forward and put a hand on her shoulder and waited for a reaction. Her only movement was to shiver. He wrapped her robe around her and helped her to fasten it. No words were spoken and she didn’t make eye contact.

Jarod sat down beside her and gently turned her face to look at him. She fidgeted with her hands. He put his hands around hers to warm them up. He expected her to pull away but after a short struggle she allowed him to hold her hands. She moved one of her hands to twine her fingers with his. Jarod didn’t want to overstay his welcome and suggested that he go.

"No!" she started loudly but said more calmly: "Tell me more of the things that I don’t remember."

Jarod sat on a chair in the corner recounting what he could. Parker sat listening attentively to the stories on the bed. She started to remember herself and the person that sat facing her.


End of part one. The romance starts in part two.

Please send some feedback!