Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc.and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Regeneration
part 6
by Gizmo





With Ben on one side and Miss Parker on the other, Jarod was able to make it down the wide staircase and into the car. He leaned forward to check Lyle, belted into the front passenger seat half-awake. Emily and the boy climbed into the SUV and they watched Parker briefly hug Ben goodbye.

Once they were on the road, Jarod visually examined the car’s occupants. Emily leaned against the car door and closed her eyes in exhaustion. The boy had dark circles beneath both eyes and he turned to check behind them occasionally. Lyle was mumbling something incomprehensible while Parker drove like a bat out of hell. Jarod waited fifteen minutes until his sister slept and Lyle had quieted.

“Any idea where we’ll go?” Jarod asked quietly.

“I thought we’d drive to the nearest big city and get some hotel rooms. From what I can tell, everyone here needs at least 24 hours of rest before we make any decisions.”

He nodded in agreement and turned to study the passing scenery.

“When we get to the hospital…” Parker started.

“I’ll need to check Ethan’s chart to determine what we’ll need.”

“I can do that,” the boy interjected. “You stay here.”

“Jeff, they’re not going to give medical charts to a fourteen-year-old. I’ve been a doctor.”

“They’re not going to give the charts to you either!” the boy retored. “You look like a patient – not a doctor.”

“If Parker had gotten me clothes instead of pajamas…”

“Don’t start!” she snapped. “We’ve got forty-five minutes to figure this out.”

“I’ll do it.” They all turned to stare at her twin. Lyle smiled a little at them. “I’m dressed like a doctor and I can manage it. All you need is a copy of the records, right?”

“No.” Jarod shook his head. Lyle turned in his seat to stare at the pretender.

“Whatever Willie did to Ethan was not under my orders…”

“Willie didn’t do anything to Ethan,” Miss Parker interrupted. “Ethan and Emily and another girl escaped from Willie but were in a car wreck.”

“Then you have no reason to believe I had anything to do with it?”

“We know you didn’t hurt Ethan this time,” Jarod replied. “But we’re not taking any chances. Just like you didn’t take any chances with us.”

Lyle turned back to stare out the front window. So Jarod had simmed him, he realized. That meant they knew he had kept Ethan and Emily hostage as insurance. Gazing down, he noted the lack of restraints.

“So why have you brought me along?” Lyle questioned.

“Because we have to finish it. There’s no other choice anymore.” With the device gone from Lyle’s head, they could only move forward with the plan now. Jarod smiled a little. If Lyle had been a pretender and had simmed the situation, he would have realized that capturing Ethan and Emily was useless. Once they removed the device, Jarod had nothing but himself left to bargain with. He would go back to the Centre.

****

At the hospital, Parker fetched a lab coat and scrubs for Jarod. The pretender’s movements were shaky but Emily had doused the facial bruises with makeup so he appeared to be an exhausted doctor coming off a long shift. She went to Ethan’s room but Major Charles was nowhere to be found. A moment later, Jarod walked in with a nurse.

“Miss?” Jarod asked her.

“Yes?”

“Are you part of Ethan’s family?”

She went along with his act - signing papers with a fake signature that would supposedly transfer Ethan to another hospital closer to his hometown. Once they had completed the paperwork, the nurse left and Jarod turned to follow. At the door, the pretender staggered and she was at his side instantly.

“I’ve got it,” Jarod whispered.

“Just get out to the car,” she returned.

“No. I’ve got to get the medications and things we’ll need for him. Where’s my father?”

“I don’t know. Maybe he went to get some coffee.”

He pushed away from the wall and straightened. She shook her head at his stubbornness. Jarod left and a moment later Major Charles entered.

“What’s going on?” he asked frantically. “I just saw Jarod in the hallway, dressed like a doctor, and he ignored me.”

“We’ve got to get Ethan out of here. It’s not safe. Cox probably knows he’s here and is on his way.”

“How?”

“It’s a long story. Jarod went to get the medical things we’ll need. Where’s your car?”

Major Charles gave her the keys and she went to bring the vehicle to the front door. Five minutes after she had parked, Major Charles appeared with Ethan in a wheelchair. Her half-brother was groggy and half-asleep but they managed to get him into the car. Major Charles climbed in and she drove to where Emily sat behind the driver’s wheel of the other car. The boy got out and came to the passenger window.

“Where’s Jarod?” Jeff asked.

“He’s getting a few things Ethan will need,” Parker replied. “Is Emily going to be alright to drive?”

“She’s pretty tired but Lyle is still seeing double. I think she’ll be okay.”

“I could drive…” Major Charles started to offer.

“You’ve had less sleep than she has,” Parker interrupted. “She’s younger – she can handle it better.”

He nodded his agreement. “Go get back in the car, son. As soon as Jarod gets here, we’ve got to move.”

Major Charles looked at the SUV and waved back at his daughter. Parker’s twin turned to look and his eyes got wide. He yelled something and pointed behind them. Turning, Major Charles saw the black sedans pulling up to the hospital.

“Go!” Major Charles screamed at his youngest. The boy ran and jumped into the SUV. He gestured from them to leave and they pulled out. When their car started to move, he turned to look at Miss Parker.

“What are you doing?” Major Charles yelled. “We’ve got to wait for Jarod!”

“We can’t! He won’t make it! He could barely walk. We’ve got to get Ethan out of here. Once he’s safe, I’ll come back for Jarod.”

***

Jarod thanked the pharmacy technician and hefted the small box up. Just a little further to go, he told himself as he eyed the elevators up ahead. A ding sounded as the elevator reached his floor and he pushed himself to rush to catch it. The doors opened and two sweepers stepped out. Dropping the box, Jarod stared in shock as Cox stepped out from behind the sweepers and smiled.



feedback please : Unreal8@aol.com