Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc.and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Regeneration
part 3
by Gizmo






Mr. Parker slammed his fist down on the desk.

“This is unacceptable. I want that device found!”

The sweepers hurried to mutter platitudes and excuses. Mr. Parker waved his hand for silence.

“Willie, what have you got on Jarod?”

“Lyle contacted me early this morning. He seemed optimistic that the pretender would be back in time for the upcoming review.”

“What about my daughter? Any trace of her yet?”

“No sir. But there was a sighting of Ethan. We’re tracking that now.”

“Good. He should lead us right to Jarod and then we’ll get them both.”

****

Ethan smiled vaguely at the young woman. There was something niggling at him, bothering him but he forced himself to concentrate on the woman’s voice.

“….down the street. They have great lobster specials…”

“Actually, we wanted to avoid a crowd,” Ethan interrupted. “We’re just traveling through.”

Maggie glanced at the brunette standing beside him. She too had a worried, anxious countenance like the sweet-looking guy. Setting down the tire iron down, Maggie wiped her hands on her worn overalls. From the license plate, she had assumed they were tourists when she pulled up alongside them. She had assisted in changing the flat tire before they asked her about local restaurants.

“Well, the next fast-food restaurant isn’t for another 50 miles or so. But, I’ve got some stew simmering. It’s got crab and oyster in it.”

The young man consulted with the brunette and Maggie finished dumping her jack in the back of her pickup truck. Her mood was bright - the lobster and crab haul had been good and she had stocked the restaurant in town with enough for the upcoming weekend. She wondered what had possessed her to invite two strangers to share her stew. The car door slammed and she turned to the approaching couple.

The young woman introduced herself as Emily and thanked her for the invitation. She learned the guy’s name was Ethan and they were traveling upstate to visit a sick older brother. The SUV followed her the short distance to her house. Inside, the couple stood awkwardly in the living room while she went to wash up.

A piece of fish net was tangled in her windblown hair. Muttering, Maggie fished it out and tried to tame the red curls into something other than the ‘stuck-her-finger-in-the-outlet’ look she usually cultivated. She changed clothes and dumped baby powder on, hoping to at least camouflage some of the fish smell.

Back in the living room, the two strangers were in an intense discussion. She caught a snippet and frowned. It seemed they were worried about someone named Willie tailing them and had ended up here in an effort to lose him. Connor and Patrick would have her hide if they knew she had two strangers in the house that were being followed. But her two brothers were off in New York so there was no reason to worry.

Ethan looked around the living room with curiosity. It seemed Maggie lived here alone but he saw family pictures adorning almost every table and wall around. Peering into one more closely, he saw three kids with three shades of flaming-red hair holding a huge fish.

“Is this your family?” Ethan asked her.

“Yes.” She finished setting out the extra dishes and walked towards him. “Those are my two brothers. My dad took that ten years ago. Patrick, he’s the oldest, caught that fish.”

“You’re the youngest?” Emily asked.

“I’m the baby. And my two brothers never let me forget it.”

Emily smiled a bit sadly and Maggie wondered why.

“Well, it’s nothing fancy but it’s all ready,” Maggie announced.

At dinner, Emily mentally went over the events since this morning. Jarod had contacted their father and they had decided to split up. Ethan and Emily were traveling by highway to reach the Inn while the Major and boy had rented a plane. Jarod would be horrified to learn they were all coming after him. But they weren’t going to leave him in the Parker twins’ care. When they had spotted the black sedan following them, she had turned off the main highway and they had ended up lost in the middle of nowhere. Emily sighed and turned her attention back to the conversation.

“…ten miles. Then turn onto highway 32. Take it until you come to highway 68.”

“You’ve been really kind,” Emily commented. “You must let us pay you for the meal.”

“Well, I don’t know,” Maggie replied. “I don’t get to meet many new people – this being a small town and all. It’s been a real pleasure. I just hope your brother gets well.”

“He will.” Ethan smiled at her. He had been careful when asking directions not to give their final destination. If Willie found his way here – Ethan shuddered when he realized the danger they may be putting the young woman in. “If anyone stops here, looking for us…”

“It might be better if you tell them you’ve never seen us,” Emily supplied.

Maggie switched her gaze back and forth between the pair. Asking further questions seemed futile so she just nodded her agreement. Just as she opened her mouth to reassure them, she heard a car pull into the drive.

“Were you expecting anyone?” Ethan asked.

“Joe was supposed to stop by and see about my pickup. It’s been making noise. Thought he’d be here later though…”

She excused herself and went to the door. Stepping outside, she frowned. Joe didn’t drive a black towncar.

***

The sun was setting when he reached the Inn. Ben opened the front door and Major Charles tried to quell his anxiousness long enough to at least give the polite responses to the Innkeeper.

“Major Charles.” He looked up and saw Catherine Parker’s look-alike daughter descending the stairs. “Jarod told us you were coming but I didn’t expect you this quickly.”

“Where is he?”

She jerked her head up the stairs and he rushed up them. When he reached her, she grabbed his arm, stalling him. “Where’s the boy?”

“His name is Jeff. And he’s nearby and safe. After I see Jarod, I’ll get him.”

She nodded her acceptance and released the older man. He charged up the stairs but she stopped him again.

“He’s not leaving here,” she told him. “If you try taking him out of here, it could kill him. He’s sick.”

“Your brother has already killed one of my sons. I’m not going to leave Jarod here so he can kill another.”

Before she could respond, Major Charles had turned and started opening bedroom doors. Inside the second door, Lyle looked up surprised. The older man charged and Lyle grabbed at the large hand wrapped around his windpipe.

“If anything happens to Jarod, I will kill you. I want us to be clear on this. Understood?”

Lyle weakly nodded and gasped when released. Major Charles slammed his door shut as he left and he heard another door opening down the hall.

Jarod was asleep when he entered and he was able to study his son in the fading light. Miss Parker was right, he grudgingly admitted, Jarod couldn’t be moved. The wheezing at each breath caught at his heart. Sitting beside Jarod on the bed, he gently swiped hair back from his forehead. Jarod jerked awake at the touch and blinked up at him.

“Dad?”

He pulled Jarod up and hugged him tightly. At the sharp intake of breath, he loosened his hold and lowered his son back to the mattress. Jarod immediately leaned up on his right elbow.

“Where’s the boy? Is he safe?”

“Yes. Everything went according to plan. I’ll call him in a moment. Let me take a look at you.”

“Have you seen Lyle?”

“Yes.” Major Charles pushed on his shoulders and told him to lay back. Jarod shook his head and resisted his father’s efforts.

“I’m okay, Dad. Just a little roughed up. What about Emily and Ethan?”

“They’re coming too.”

“No,” Jarod shook his head. “They weren’t supposed to come. It’s too dangerous.”

“I know. But they wouldn’t listen. Emily said to tell you she will lock you in the trunk of her car if you try to go back to the Centre with Lyle.”

Jarod scowled and looked away. Keeping his family safe was his main priority and in his condition, he wouldn’t be much help if something went wrong. And he had nothing left to bargain with since they were about to remove the implant from Lyle’s head. The device was worthless with nothing to activate.

“I’m going to call your brother. Why don’t you get some sleep?”

“No. I’ve slept most of the day. I want to go over what I remember about the device with Jeff. I think this surgery can be done…”

“It’ll wait. I should warn you that Jeff will want to take a look at you.”

Jarod shook his head and lay back against the pillows. “We don’t have time. We’re going to have to get that thing out of Lyle’s head tonight. Until we get that thing out, none of us are safe.”

Major Charles sighed. Unfortunately, Jarod was right.

****

Jeff smiled in pleasure at Miss Parker. Unlike the rest of his family, he trusted her completely as soon as he heard the news. He knew Jarod had been coerced into trusting the Parker twins. His presence here was indication that Jarod had afforded the twins complete control. If he removed the device Jarod had briefly described, Jarod would have nothing but himself to bargain with.

“You look well,” Miss Parker commented. She reached out to touch his hair. “Is this a thing for teenagers these days?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “I wanted an earring but Dad said no. Is my Dad with him?”

She nodded and escorted the boy to Jarod’s room. Inside the room, Jarod looked up at her from where he sat against the headboard drawing.

“You have another visitor,” she informed him.

Major Charles hugged the boy and she left them to their reunion. Finding Lyle, she informed him of the boy’s presence. Lyle’s cellphone interrupted their conversation.

“Good work,” he told whomever he spoke with. “Keep them there until I call with further instructions. I’ll be in touch.”

She watched as her brother set the phone aside and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“Problem?” she prodded.

“Yes. But it’s contained for now. Let’s go see what Jarod and Gemini have in store for me.”

“The boy is called Jeff.”

****

Miss Parker watched her brother pacing anxiously as Jarod and the boy discussed the device removal. Her brother’s nervousness she attributed to the upcoming surgery. She wondered again what problem he had referred to. Switching her gaze to the two pretenders, she smiled a bit. It was odd, seeing them working together, their heads bent over Jarod’s drawings.

“How long will I be out?” Lyle asked as he stopped pacing.

“About four hours,” Jeff replied. “Then it’s going to take at least three or four days before you are on your feet again.”

“That’s too long,” Lyle replied. “I have things to do.”

“I know the feeling,” Jarod said with a sly smile. “Miss Parker, did you happen to bring another pair of handcuffs?”

Lyle blanched and moved back. “That won’t be necessary.”

“We’ll see.” Jarod smirked. “You know how it is – uncooperative patients sometimes need a little extra help.”

“Cute.” Miss Parker picked up the pacing. “When are we doing this?”

“Tonight,” the boy replied. “Since we won’t be going in through the skull, we can do it here. I’ve got everything we need in the car.”

“Then what are we waiting for?”

Lyle had stepped forward. “I can’t do it tonight. It has to wait until tomorrow.”

“Why not?” Major Charles demanded.

“I have some business to take care of. I’ll be back by morning.”

“What kind of business?” Jarod growled from the bed.

Lyle sighed. He needed to keep Jarod’s trust. The man was about to assist in shoving a magnet up his nose, past his sinus cavity and into his brain. He debated his options.





feedback please : Unreal8@aol.com