Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

"Transformations"

by Randi Drubin



Many folks have read my fan-fiction, "Doorway to The Edge of Darkness," and most of these folks are comfortable with the character development of a certain hostile woman we've all come to know and love from "The Pretender." However, there are some folks that question how this complete "transformation" takes place? Miss Parker is cold and calculating whereas, the Miss Parker in the Doorways series is sweet, loving, and down to earth. This story was originally designed to be a spoof of "It's a Wonderful Life," but the holidays came and went and the story was far from complete, so the title of the story changed from the working title, "It's My Life, and What's so Wonderful About It" to "Transformations."



Mr. Lyle are you as evil as you say?
The Powers That Be seem undecided in their treatment of this new character. He first appears in "Dragon House" at the end. We don't see him, but judging from Mr. Parker's reaction to him, we assume he is higher up on the food chain. I had high hopes for this character. Someone had to give Jarod a run for his money, but Lyle seems to be nothing more than an overgrown "schoolboy" who dresses up in Daddy's clothes. In short, Lyle's a big "loser," a "nevish," and an "illustrious Pinhead." Should I be scared of you, Mr. Lyle? My cat is more intimidating than you, dear little "girlie boy." As you may have guessed, I am not happy with Lyle as he is portrayed on the series. I had a real problem working him into my series. I began writing "The Glass Vortex" shortly after the season finale, and as the second season began, I realized the character I was including in my fiction was not the same character. My Mr. Lyle is charming from afar. If you get to close to him, you'll realize the handsome face looming before you will be the last face you'll probably see. If you don't believe me, ask Little Catherine Parker. She has first hand experience with the man who she refers to as "Uncle Lyle."


This story is rated NC-17, so if you are underage or don't like adult oriented material, leave now! If you like this story, l'd like to hear from you. If you don't like it, I'd like to hear from you. Most writers enjoy getting feedback on their work, so let me know what worked/ what didn't. Of course, all of the characters are borrowed and will be returned to their rightful universe at the completion of the story.

Let the games begin...





Blue Cove, DE

Miss Parker sat at her desk staring in disbelief at the quickly scribbled note left at her computer. It was from her father cancelling their plans to meet for a Christmas Eve dinner. Why was she not surprised?

From the hallway, she heard the happy sounds of other Centre expeditors wishing each other well. She asked herself why she couldn’t just stop being the "Ice Queen," and join in the chorus of well wishers. The answer, of course, was in her lineage. Parkers didn’t fraternize with the Centre underlings, so she stifled a half formed sob, and went back to reading through her e-mail.

There were 75 new messages waiting for her. Miss Parker cursed under her breath after deleting the first 10. "Do I look like I need to ‘make $50,000 a day stuffing envelopes?’ Where did these fools get her e-mail address? Didn’t being behind a firewall prevent this sort of harrassment?" she wondered.

There was a knock at the door. Miss Parker looked up, "Oh, it’s you."

Broots resisted the urge to snap back. This was the second Christmas Jarod was away from the Centre. Mr. Raines was at him constantly demanding results, and Brigette always seemed to be everywhere he went including The Super Saver, Blue Cove’s only supermarket. He was trying to decide which cream cheese to buy when he heard the familiar lip-smacking of someone sucking on a lollipop. It was Brigette, of course.

"Why, Mr. Broots, I had no idea you shopped here?"

"Uh, yeah, well, it’s real close," he had said. He really wanted to say, "You know full well I shop here, you twit. It’s the only supermarket in Blue Cove," but he was addicted to breathing, so he smiled politely while he placed the store brand spread into his cart.

"I didn’t figure you for a biscuit and cream cheese man, luv."

"They’re bagels, you know, bagels and cream cheese," Broots said trying to hurry along hoping she would lose interest in him, but she seemed not to notice he wasn’t enjoying her company as much as she seemed to be enjoying his.

"Whatever you say, luv," she said off-handedly allowing the sucker to roll around her mouth suggestively.

Every inch of him wanted to scream, "Is there a point to this droll conversation, Lady?," but once again Broots smiled politely, "Is there anything you need, Brigette?"

"Is there a point to this little impromptu visit, Broots?" Miss Parker asked loudly seeing the dazed look in the programmer’s eyes suddenly turn to fear. "Her father taught her well," she thought.

Startled, Broots cleared his throat, "Uh, yeah, well, um, I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas, Miss Parker."

Miss Parker smiled almost snickering, "Isn’t that nice, and just what are WE doing for Christmas?"

Broots looked down at his feet. He, again, resisted the urge to retaliate, "Nothing really. Debbie and I are going to watch Disney movies and eat popcorn."

"Well, that’s nice. Disney movies and popcorn. Sounds festive," Miss Parker said barely containing the sarcasm in her voice.

"You can come if you’re not busy," Broots heard himself offer. His mind screamed, "What are you doing? You can’t stand to be in the same room with this woman, and you want her to come spend Christmas with you?"

"That’s quite alright, Broots. I’m meeting my father for dinner," Miss Parker said looking away. It was a lie, of course, but she couldn’t see herself pigging out on popcorn and watching "corny" Disney movies.

"Well, if you change your mind, just come by," Broots said silently cursing himself for making the offer in the first place.

Silently, Miss Parker watched Broots leave. The door to her office shut quickly cutting her off from the outside world. Her office was her sanctuary as much as it was her prison. Christmas was over-rated, an excuse to spend too much money on useless trinkets. The money clip she bought for her father weeks ago painfully reminded her how useless it all was. "It was never enough for him."