Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

AN: As you may notice, the parts are sort of short. The first time I posted this story, I was held down to aprox. 500 words per part! So I will be posting two parts each time. If you want to feedback, I will post faster.... hint hint hint!


Part 3

Jarod had filled Luke in on the identity of those following him. Luke was surprised and shaken when Jarod told him how he had found out about him. The recording, the information Angelo had given about Lyles interest in this young man, and Jarod’s own interest in keeping anyone safe from the center that he could.

What he couldn’t tell him was the source of the recording of his brother’s death. It wasn’t a center recording. Jarod hadn’t waited to do research. All his efforts since receiving the information had been spent in getting to Luke. Jarod and Luke both, would like to know who these others were.

Someone had gotten Lyle on the scent. Someone who knew the Center’s abilities and connections. And… their inside reputation for being utterly heartless and totally outside the law, whenever it suited their purpose…. which was most of the time.

“But how did they find us in the first place? We didn’t exactly advertise that we were different.” Luke couldn’t think of a single instance in which he or his brother had been indiscreet enough to draw attention to themselves.

“It was your birth records.” Jarod replied.

“Our what?”

“Or rather your lack of them.” Jarod ticked off the particulars. “Two boys approximately six years old, found wandering naked, in the snow, with no sign of distress from the cold, and speaking no known language. No one reported you missing. A search of the surrounding countryside gave no clue as to where you could have come from.

“I find that a bit unusual. So did others.”

“So it wasn’t a mistake we made.” Luke felt a sense of …what? Not relief exactly, but he was glad he had in no way been the reason for his brother’s death. “What now?” Where did a kid go when he had no place to go? And no one to go with?

“Would you be interested in coming with me for a while? If you find a place that fits your fancy and want to stay, I can fix you up with U.S. identity papers and a plausible past.” Jarod liked the kid. He had no one, and needed to find himself. As in a way Jarod did. Perhaps they could spend some time searching together. One thing for certain. He wasn’t going to let Luke end up like his brother.

“I would like that Jarod. But won’t you be in danger by being with me?”
Luke had only his feelings and a dream to go on. But he felt that this man was worth having as a friend. You don’t put friends in danger.

So Jarod spent the next couple of hours telling Luke a little about himself. He had Luke laughing at some of the adventures he’d had and at the various ways he had baited his pursuers.

With the car safely hidden a block away from the hotel, the two weary travelers had a good night’s sleep.

Two nights later they stopped over in Oklahoma City. They were heading west. There had been no sign of pursuit, for Luke or Jarod and for once, Jarod was happily at ease. Luke, however, was very quiet and thoughtful. He had had another dream.

***
Roswell:
10:15 PM: Future Max and Liz sat on her roof top. Liz was crying silently; the tears just wouldn’t stop. The look on Max’s face when he saw her with Kyle would haunt her forever. Her Max… who could never again be her Max.

Future Max was dying inside. He wished he would just disappear and it would all be over. Seeing Liz fall apart like this was more than he could handle. He sat down beside her and wrapped his arms around her, rocking her like a baby. Liz turned her tearstained face up to his and God help him, he couldn’t help but kiss her.

Flash after flash filled Liz. The feelings as one by one everyone Max loved died, horrified and dismayed Liz. She pulled away hiding her face in her hands, as if covering her eyes would shut out the pictures that came into her head.

“Oh God. Max!” She cried.

“Liz. Liz, oh I’m so sorry. I didn’t… I couldn’t...” Future Max jumped up and walked across the roof from her. “I didn’t mean for that to happen. I’m sorry.” He felt like he had just kicked her after knocking her down. He stood staring out over the city. ‘Why can’t it just be over!’ He thought in self disgust.

Max felt a timid touch on his shoulder, but couldn’t make himself turn around. “Max….” There was so much sorrow in that word. “Max, look at me. Please.” When he didn’t, Liz continued. “I’m glad that happened. Max. It will help make me strong. Every time I want to tell him, you, I’ll remember this and I won’t let it happen.”

Max turned slowly around. God how would he ever live without her? She was so strong, even when hit the hardest. She had been the strongest part of him for so many years. Could Tess ever fill that place in his heart? In his life? He couldn’t see how.

“Liz , if there was just something I could do for you.”

Liz sniffed back a tear. “You could dance with me.” When he just looked at her with a curious pain in his face, she continued. “I want my wedding dance Max. The one you had, that I never will.” She held up her hands to him and he took them tenderly in his.

He opened a connection ever so slightly. Enough that she could share the music that danced in his memory and his heart. Enough that she could feel the love and joy shared that one night, a night that could never happen.

Liz closed her eyes, seeing with his memory and floating in his arms. He swung her out in a twirl and as she left his hand, he could feel himself fading. ‘Good by my love. My only love.’ He thought as the nothingness took him.

Before the twirl was over, Liz felt the loss. She opened her eyes and looked around at the empty roof. Slowly she sank to her knees and sobbed helplessly, hopelessly. Max was gone. That meant that Max, her Max did not love her anymore. It had worked the way they had meant it to. But how was she going to live without him now?



Part 4


That night Liz lay sleeplessly in her bed or sat curled up on the chair on her roof. She couldn’t close her eyes without seeing the flashes that Max had given her with his kiss, or the look on Max’s face when he saw her with Kyle, or the feel of the last dance, their dance. The combat of emotions left her hollow eyed and sleepless, tearless.

It was late the next morning when she came down stairs, nearly eleven. Being Saturday, Liz didn’t have to work until two and wouldn’t have come down till then, if hunger hadn’t brought her down. She hadn’t eaten the day before and there was no way she could go a whole shift without eating at least a little.

Liz stopped at the door in the back of the Crashdown. Through the little window, she could see Max, Iz, Alex and Michael sitting at their usual booth. Maria was perched on the edge of the table opposite of them. The scene was so normal, so…other. How could it look that way? How was she going to deal with it?

She wouldn’t. Liz knew if she went out there and faced Max, she was not ready to face whatever reaction he gave her. If it was disgust and loathing, or hurt and a demand for explanations, or… whatever.

Max looked up toward the door, and said something to Maria. She stood up and started toward the back. ‘No. Not yet.’ Liz said to herself. ‘I need some time!’
She turned and ran back up the stairs to her room. But once there, she felt trapped. Maria would come up and find her. Was she ready to lie to her? She couldn’t tell her the truth. She couldn’t tell anyone.

With feverish speed she began throwing stuff into her biggest book bag. The one she used when she spent the night at Maria’s. Two minutes later found her down her ladder and far down the street. A quick stop at the bank, and her savings was added to the meager roll of tip money she had been keeping in her dresser.

There was a Greyhound bus station a block further down the street. She would buy a ticket on the first bus to anywhere.

Liz rounded the corner of the bus terminal and immediately jumped back out of sight. Sheriff Valenti was standing not three feet from the door talking to Amy. If either of them saw her, she would never get away. There was an empty bus sitting on the side of the building. She could hide in there for a few minutes.

Liz slipped up the steps and down the isle to the back. She could just see around the corner enough to see that they were still there. Would they never leave? She slid down on the back seat, curled up under the window and sighed. It would be so hard to leave. She closed her eyes hard to stop the tears from coming again, and settled down to wait.

***
Roswell:
4:00 PM: Maria came rushing into the Crashdown and looked wildly around. “No one’s back yet!” She said to Michael who was following at a more decorous pace. She shook her head. “This can’t be good.” She plopped down on a booth seat and rummaged through her purse. “Now where is my cedar?” She mumbled to herself. “Why can’t I ever find it when I need it?”

Alex and Isabelle pulled up in front, and Maria ran out. “Is she here?” “Did you find her?” Isabel and Maria asked together.

Alex got out and put one arm around each of the girls. “Now don’t worry. Max has probably already found her. You know Max and Liz. He will find her, wherever she has gone.”

Maria scrubbed at her nose with a handkerchief and sniffed. “When I get my hands on Liz, I’m goin’ to shake her till her teeth rattle! See if I don’t.”


Sheriff Valenti drove up at that moment with Liz’s dad. “Any luck kids?” He called. At their glum looks, he turned to Jeff Parker, and clapped him on the back. “Don’t worry too much. Even in a town this size, it’s not too hard for a girl to hide out for a day. Liz is a stable girl. She’ll be alright.” He turned to the Crashdown gang. “When she gets back, call me. I’ll have my deputies keep a look out until I hear from you.”

Liz’s dad got stiffly out of the jeep and walked silently into the Crashdown. Then with a tip of his hat, the Sheriff took off.

“This is so unlike Liz.” Maria stated as she stalked up and down in front of the café. “Where is Max!”

Michael put his arm around her and steered her into the Crashdown and sat her down. “You are going to make me crazy if you don’t sit still for a moment.”

Maria put her hands on her hips, “Oh and I don’t suppose you are worried at all?” She demanded heatedly.

Michael put his hands in his pants and shrugged, trying to look unconcerned, but the tight look on his face said it all. With all the worry and wondering about alien ‘others’ showing up, it was not an easy thing having one of the inner group missing. ‘What if...’ Kept popping up in all their minds.

The phone rang and Maria leapt to take it. “Liz!” She yelled into it. “Oh Max, have you… Oh, where all have you looked? Yeah we checked there too. Yeah, okay.” She handed the phone to Isabel and walked back to the booth. One big tear hanging off the end of her nose. “Oh I’m going to shake her and shake her.” She muttered.

***
Albuquerque, NM:
5:05 PM: The driver of the bus waited until all the passengers had filed out, before walking to the back of the bus. He had seen the curious looks given by some of the rear passengers to the right back seat. He gazed down at the wee figure of the girl curled up there asleep. She looked so vulnerable lying there. He sighed and sat down next to her. His daughter would be about her age if she were still alive. He gently reached down and placed his hand on her shoulder and shook it.

Liz woke up slowly, wondering why she felt so cramped. Then she realized that she was in a strange place and sat up with a start.

The bus driver held his hands up at her wild look. “Whoa there, I come in peace!” He said with a smile.

Liz smiled shakily back and pushed her hair back from her face. “I guess I sort of fell asleep. Didn’t I” She said shyly.

“I guess you sort of did!” He stood up and held out his hand. “Come on, we need to talk, and you probably need to eat. I’m buying”

Liz shook her head. “Oh no I couldn’t…”

He cut across her, “I’ve never seen a teenager yet that couldn’t eat more than any two kids or three adults. And I’m hungry!” He smiled again. “Come on, you aren’t going to make a liar out of me are you?”

Liz smiled a real smile this time and gave him her hand.

“Is that yours?” He added, looking at her bag. “Better bring it along.”

Inside the café, at a back table, they wrapped themselves around two colossal burgers and talked. The driver gave his name as Henry, and tried to coax Liz’s story from her.

Liz tried to tell him as much as she could without telling him too much. No she wasn’t running away from home, and no she couldn’t go back yet. There was an impossible situation back home that had to have time to work out. “ I just have to stay away for a while.” She finished miserably.

“Where do you plan to go?” He finally asked.

“I don’t know, maybe Los Angeles.” She answered.

“Oh I wouldn’t recommend that.” The bus driver returned. “There are birds of prey that haunt bus and train depots looking for wrung out kids to take advantage of. And if you won’t take it too badly, you look like the kind of kid they would jump for.”

Liz smiled sadly, “I guess I don’t look too connected right now.” She admitted.