Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own the Pretender, or the characters. They are used without permission.


The Love of the Chase
Part 8
Mr. Parker

by Andrea




While I was waiting for the elevator I ran into my daughter. "Daddy."

"Angel. How are you?"

"Fine."

"How is the Jarod chase coming?" The elevator beeped, and we both stepped in it.

"Same as usual. He has Broots following hundreds of false leads."

"Well," I said, "He can’t outwit a Parker forever."

She started to say something, then stopped. I hoped that she wasn’t going to bring up her mother again, just like she had, one year ago, in this very elevator. The elevator that Catherine had died in. She couldn’t believe what everyone had been told, it had been a suicide, nothing more, nothing less.

Or, rather, for a long time she had believed that. Until Jarod opened her eyes to the truth. I hate that Pretender. At first, when he had escaped, I had assigned my daughter to the chase. Knowing that Jarod wouldn’t be able to outthink her for long. Apparently, I was wrong.

It’s been four years since the chase started, and she hasn’t come close to catching Jarod. Oh, once or twice she has been stuck with him, like that time in Dover. But she didn’t manage to bring him back where he belongs.

"Daddy, about our deal." Her voice draws me out of my thoughts.

"Yes?"

"Daddy, it’s obvious that I can’t catch Jarod. Why don’t you let Lyle do it? I’m sure that’s what he wants, anyway. I’ve tracked Jarod for four years, and I haven’t been able to catch him. Why don’t you just let me leave?"

Leave? That’s what she wanted to do. She’d told me that once before, and we had made a deal. Parker brings Jarod back to the Centre, and she gains her freedom. But from what I’ve seen, she’ll never be able to bring him back.

And even if she did, I wouldn’t let her leave. Yeah, sure. I’d let the only person capable of running the Centre after I leave.

I’ve trained Parker from childhood to be my replacement as Chairman. Everything was planned from her birth. When I thought that she was getting too soft, and weak, I had Catherine taken care of. After that, when she grew too close to Jarod, I had her sent to boarding school. When she was through with school, I started her at the Centre.

I was doing the right thing, training my heir for the days ahead.

Then, Lyle came along. I cherished him as the son I never had, although Parker filled that role almost completely.

At first, I dismissed Lyle as a power-hungry underling. Then, after he was set up by Jarod, lost his thumb, and stole the chip to repay the Yakuza, he lost any respect I might have had. When he stole that chip, I sent Parker after him to take care of the "problem." She did so. My perfect tool, assassin.


When Lyle came back, as my son, I cherished him, even after his history. While I was in hiding in Africa, he tried to run the Centre, and he bungled it big time. I had to send Mr. Cox in to keep an eye on him.

I’ll make sure that Lyle never again takes over the Centre. When I leave power, my daughter will fill my spot, whether she wants to or not.

She’s a Parker.

My perfect tool. I can send her into almost any situation, whether it be a T-board meeting with the Triumvirate, or to take care of a problem like Lyle, and I know that she will triumph. I’m proud of her.

"Daddy." Once again, her voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Angel, I know you can catch Jarod. You just have to try a bit harder."

"But, Daddy…" she trails off.

"Angel, you fulfil the deal, and you can leave." The elevator stops. I kiss her on the cheek, and walk out, thoughts still rolling in my head. Leave? Ha. As if I would ever let her leave.