Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters, they are used without permission.


The Love of the Chase
Part 7
Sam

by Andrea




It was while we were on the way to Jarod’s newest layer that Miss Parker asked me the question.

"Sam," she said, and paused. "What do you think about this whole Jarod chase?"

Her question surprised me. But I was determined to answer it the best I could.

And I started my answer with some history of mine…

"As you know, Miss Parker, my father worked at the Centre his entire life, that’s how I started working there." A flash of recognition passed her face. "I’ve worked for the Centre my entire life, at one time, I’d have done anything for the Centre."

"But, after 4 years of chasing Jarod, I’m not so sure. I remember when you had me watch Debbie Broots for you. You and I picked her up from school, so that Lyle wouldn’t find her. And then we took her to your house, and I watched her. She was a really nice girl. I knew that the Centre, if they believed Broots was the leak, would do anything to get him. Even if that included sacrificing his daughter. I knew that, of course, from working at the Centre. I’ve even seen it happen before. But, somehow, this time, it was different. It wasn’t just my job anymore."

"I remember when we first started chasing Jarod. You would have done anything to bring him in. So would I. But I was with you when you discovered some of Jarod’s "surprises." After a while, I learned more about Jarod’s life at the Centre. I had already known a lot, but some of it shocked me."

"What do you think of Lyle?" Parker asked. "Do you think he should continue to work on the Jarod chase?"

I hated Lyle. But…she was his sister. I had to be careful…even though I knew of the rivalry between the two. "Lyle, he’d be better off at a desk job. He hates coming with us to track Jarod; it’s a big bother to him. But, yet, he feel’s like he has to come, that if he doesn’t something will go wrong."

That seemed to satisfy her curiosity. She leaned back in her seat. But I still had something to say. "Miss Parker, I’m more loyal to you than Lyle, I think you know that. I would do anything for you. If you decided that, for some reason, you didn’t want to bring Jarod in, I would go with your decision, and not try to capture him myself. Loyalty is a concept I keep."

Note: Sam’s part, again, was hard to write. I hope that you liked it, and it gave you an insight into the Sweeper that has worked with Miss Parker. This fic, of course, was to give you an idea of his feelings.